Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,305 members, 7,815,553 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (400) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1359049 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 9:13pm On Mar 08, 2020
Musbeni:
Please good people, help me to criticize my transcript
1 VO: What is your study plan/ what are you going for in the USA
Me: I am going to USA for doctoral degree in chemistry at the university of south Carolina. The program is expected to run for 5years and I will be offering 60hours in total. 15 hours in first year.
2 VO: What are the courses you will be offering
Me: CHM 711, CHM 703, CHM 752, CHM 735
3 VO: How did you hear about the school
Me: A friend of mine who is a student of the school recommended the school to me. This prompt me to go to their site to get more information about them by checking their requirements, the current research going on there. Having satisfied with what I saw, I decided to apply.
4 VO: How many school did you apply to.
Me: 3
5 VO: name them
Me: university of south Carolina, Louisiana state university and University of Idaho.
6 VO: how many admit you
Me: 2
7 VO: why did you chose USC
Me: I chose USC because the research of one faculty member there prof..... aligned intimately with my research interest in environmental chemistry. My undergraduate project was on preparation and characterization of locust been pud as an adsorbent for removal of dye and heavy metal from industrial effluent.
8 VO: what us your highest qualification
Me: B.tech/ B.sc
9 VO: so you are going straight to PhD
Me: yes
10 VO: Who is funding your study
Me: the program is fully funded by my department with tuition waiver, TA and generous stipends
11 VO: how did you get this funding
Me: due to the quality of the documents that I submitted; my undergraduate cgpa, my GRE score and my statement of purpose
12 VO: did you do any test
Me: yes, GRE and TOEFL
13 VO: what is your GRE score
Me: 307
14 VO: are you married
Me: no but engaged
15 VO: is she coming with you
Me: no
16 VO: what is your plan after study
Me: I plan to come back to Nigeria to take up a job as a lecturer in my alma mata and also serve as a consultant to some companies
17 VO: when did you finished your b.sc
Me: 2015
18 VO: what have you been doing
Me: I went for my nysc in 2017 and take up a role as a chemistry teacher in a private secondary school in 2018, after which I move to another school in 2019
19 VO: who is an environmental chemist
Me: an environmental chemist is a chemist that make use of analytical instruments to determine the presence of hazardous chemical in environment and provide solution for its eradication.

If you have an Assistantanship mention it as why you chose the school.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Musbeni(m): 11:41pm On Mar 08, 2020
Pefuele:

If you have an Assistantanship mention it as why you chose the school.
thanks I will do that
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by yinkhar(f): 12:37am On Mar 09, 2020
I got an offer at Kensas state university with full tuition waiver and no stipend. The prof said I would have to apply for my home country scholarship cos her funding is limited. Estimated stipend for a year is 27$. I don’t know whether it’s a good offer or not (I was looking for tuition waiver with stipend)

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ponpon(m): 6:50am On Mar 09, 2020
What the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!
udi2111:

He has frauded someone so he is not reliable.
please if you know any other reliable person.
kindly let me know.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by jteena: 7:59am On Mar 09, 2020
ponpon:
What the hell!!!!!!!!!!!!
i sent u an email
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:12am On Mar 09, 2020
gbadmos:
Hi guys,

I have gone through the threads but i have found cases similar to mine.
I will be applying for US student visa this April, the issue is one of my siblings is currently overstaying their Visitor’s visa and i am afraid that might affect me.

What can i do?

Nothing you can do but hope/pray that the topic is missed or doesnt come up .... so prepare well so you can sound like a strong candidate

If it comes up , it will be a hard mountain to climb but you have no option but to attempt to climb it. The stronger you look as a candidate the easier it might be for the Vo to overlook. No body can predict how it will go, just go and give it your best

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by electromagnito: 10:20am On Mar 09, 2020
Guys pls i am dying in silent here.. i applied to Clemson University, Application deadline was Feb 15th, no news so far..... tension want kill me here oh
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Hemecee: 10:49am On Mar 09, 2020
Me too! Applied since December .
electromagnito:
Guys pls i am dying in silent here.. i applied to Clemson University, Application deadline was Feb 15th, no news so far..... tension want kill me here oh
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Milkshakes01(f): 11:23am On Mar 09, 2020
electromagnito:

I sent my applications to 4 schools on Nov 15th, deadline was Dec/Jan. 15th. I still haven’t gotten a decision from 2 schools.

Chill, you’re doing well wink. Most schools decisions will start coming in from this week till the last week in March. Don’t let tension kill you.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by omofolajomi: 11:24am On Mar 09, 2020
Good morning everyone,
i have a question please, after making payment at GTbank for my visa fee, how soon can i go online to book a visa appointment.
thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Milkshakes01(f): 11:26am On Mar 09, 2020
omofolajomi:
Good morning everyone,
i have a question please, after making payment at GTbank for my visa fee, how soon can i go online to book a visa appointment.
thanks

Immediately

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Cocao(f): 11:30am On Mar 09, 2020
electromagnito:

You have already come so far. Decisions will definitely start rolling in from this week up until much later. Just sit back and watch
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by hammed71(m): 11:49am On Mar 09, 2020
does anyone knows anything about Claremont graduate university?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 11:56am On Mar 09, 2020
Imagine! You don't know if it is good offer or not? That sounds like you don't appreciate what you're being offered.
Do you know how much you are being offered in full tuition waiver you got? Take your calculator and do the math! Your trusted, shithole country cannot even give you 1% of that! Your school here in Nigeria cannot give you 1% of that! If, as a graduate, you cannot see the worth of what you are being offered by the school, just let it go. You don't deserve it!

Please contact the professor and tell him you don't know if it is good offer or not. In fact, tell him you don't want the scholarship so that the generous school will use their money on applicant that is desperate for something and that will see the value of what you are not sure about. Nigerians with entitlement mentality. Please turn down the offer; it is not good.
yinkhar:
I got an offer at Kensas state university with full tuition waiver and no stipend. The prof said I would have to apply for my home country scholarship cos her funding is limited. Estimated stipend for a year is 27$. I don’t know whether it’s a good offer or not (I was looking for tuition waiver with stipend)

11 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 11:59am On Mar 09, 2020
Use google! You will get extensive answer to your question!
hammed71:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:14pm On Mar 09, 2020
Nigerians are not only selfish but they have entitlement mentality that makes them demand where they have not sowed.

A $10, 000 scholarship = N3.6 Million
$20, 000 scholarship = N7.2 Million

As much as I am aware, no university in Nigeria can give you this much in funding, even if you finish well and have a first class degree.
The U.S is a generous nation, giving out billions in aids to people that her citizens know from nowhere. All we do is apply, pay application fee, send test scores, etc. Then we get these millions, and we start thinking it is small. Are we crazy or something?

Our own government cannot even give us 100K in scholarship.

My point is, no matter the amount of funding you get, even if it is $2000, be grateful--because your own fatherland cannot give you half of that. The U.S and its institution doesn't owe any of us. They give out all these funds in good faith, extending love and bring us to their circle so that we can ennoble humanity together. We should be grateful.

If you have full funding and stipend, be genuinely grateful. Don't start comparing what someone else got with what you are being offered. That is selfishness. If you don't like what you are being offered, drop it, so that the school will give its money to someone else.

Many American graduate students doesn't even know their schools have GA, TA, RA. I have had privilege of speaking with students about available financial opportunities when they complain about the loan they are taking, and I was shocked they don't know their school offers such huge benefits that ingrate, stupid Nigerians take for granted.

A stipend of $1000 per month = N360, 000
Do your math and be grateful!

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sultanfortune(m): 12:14pm On Mar 09, 2020
hammed71:

This school is in Claremont, very close to Los Angeles and cost to attend is extremely very high.

Tuition and fees and living expenses is above $60k and they can only give you fellowship or GA that can’t cover anything much.

The question is, do you have such money to attend? Look well before using that school for your visa interview, unless they are ready to cover everything and leave u with maybe something not more than $15k.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by jayzen(f): 12:15pm On Mar 09, 2020
Please o, who else got admitted into WIU
Any news on assistantships yet?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by electronic(m): 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2020
electromagnito:
Contact the Graduate Coordinator and just ask how far and ask about funding opportunities.
Trquest that he should give you ideas pn how tonsecure funding.... wink
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2020
fairheart:
Nigerians are not only selfish but they have entitlement mentality that makes them demand where they have not sowed.

As much as I am aware, no university in Nigeria can give you this much in funding, even if you finish well and have a first class degree.
The U.S is a generous nation, giving out billions in aids to people that her citizens know from nowhere. All we do is apply, pay application fee, send test scores, etc. Then we get these millions, and we start thinking it is small. Are you crazy or something?

My point is, no matter the amount of funding you get, even if it is $2000, be grateful--because your own fatherland cannot give you half of that. The U.S and its institution doesn't owe any of us. They give out all these funds in good faith, extending love and bring us to their circle so that we can ennoble humanity together. We should be grateful.

If you have full funding and stipend, be genuinely grateful. Don't start comparing what someone else got with what you are being offered. That is selfishness. If you don't like what you are being offered, drop it, so that the school will give its money to someone else.

Many American graduate students doesn't even know their schools have GA, TA, RA. I have had privilege to speak with students about available financial opportunities when they complain about the loan they are taking, and I was shocked they don't know their school offers such huge benefits that ingrate, stupid Nigerians take for granted.

Sadly I have to agree with the first bold.....

having a full tuition offer is brilliant by any standard

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by jayzen(f): 12:25pm On Mar 09, 2020
You're right Fairheart. And we're very grateful to them.

fairheart:

The U.S is a generous nation, giving out billions in aids to people that her citizens know from nowhere. All we do is apply, pay application fee, send test scores, etc. Then we get these millions, and we start thinking it is small. Are you crazy or something?

Many American graduate students doesn't even know their schools have GA, TA, RA. I have had privilege to speak with students about available financial opportunities when they complain about the loan they are taking, and I was shocked they don't know their school offers such huge benefits that ingrate, stupid Nigerians take for granted.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pepperoni001: 12:36pm On Mar 09, 2020
Can someone who schooled in Benin Republic apply for WES evaluation?

I am asking for a friend?

Cc: Fairheart LagosIsMyHome
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:38pm On Mar 09, 2020
If the transcript is in English, WES will evaluate it. If it is in French, which is likely the case, you will need to translate it first. However, contact WES or go to the website to see official document requirement for Benin Republic. It is there.
Pepperoni001:
Can someone who schooled in Benin Republic apply for WES evaluation?

I am asking for a friend?

Cc: Fairheart LagosIsMyHome

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Paragontek: 12:43pm On Mar 09, 2020
Please house, my passport expires in May next year. I have a summer admission this year and I wish to extend the passports validity.
I was referred to an immigration person who told me since the passport is still more than 6 months to expire, it can only be done in Abuja.
He gave me the contact of one immigration officer in Abuja. The guy said the cost for extension of validity is 50k.

My interview is next month. If I do this extension of validity, I will be issued a new passport. Can I go to interview with this new passport, even when I have filled my ds160 and visa appointment with the old passport number and validity dates. Should I forget about this process? And is therde any other way or other place I can get it done cheaper?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 12:49pm On Mar 09, 2020
Don't renew, so you keep your money. There is no point. Use what you have. Next year May from now is more than 1 year. The U.S embassy require your passport to have minimum 6 month validity period, which yours exceed. And you can always renew in the States.
Paragontek:
Please house, my passport expires in May next year. I have a summer admission this year and I wish to extend the passports validity.
I was referred to an immigration person who told me since the passport is still more than 6 months to expire, it can only be done in Abuja.
He gave me the contact of one immigration officer in Abuja. The guy said the cost for extension of validity is 50k.

My interview is next month. If I do this extension of validity, I will be issued a new passport. Can I go to interview with this new passport, even when I have filled my ds160 and visa appointment with the old passport number and validity dates. Should I forget about this process? And is therde any other way or other place I can get it done cheaper?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pepperoni001: 1:06pm On Mar 09, 2020
Thank you Boss

fairheart:
If the transcript is in English, WES will evaluate it. If it is in French, which is likely the case, you will need to translate it first. However, contact WES or go to the website to see official document requirement for Benin Republic. It is there.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 1:10pm On Mar 09, 2020
fairheart:

The U.S is a generous nation, giving out billions in aids to people that her citizens know from nowhere. All we do is apply, pay application fee, send test scores, etc. Then we get these millions, and we start thinking it is small. Are we crazy or something?

Many American graduate students doesn't even know their schools have GA, TA, RA. I have had privilege of speaking with students about available financial opportunities when they complain about the loan they are taking, and I was shocked they don't know their school offers such huge benefits that ingrate, stupid Nigerians take for granted.

Calm down, it's not being ungrateful. It's about knowing what you're getting into. Don't just jump on any offer because you're being "grateful". When reality hit you in America, you would wish you stayed back in Nigeria and get a cheap one year masters then migrate to Canada or Australia.

Also the money we're getting is NOT free money, do the maths, we're cheap labor. But yes, we should be grateful for the opportunity for a better life, also careful to not sell ourselves short along the line.

12 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 1:21pm On Mar 09, 2020
What kind of labouring is this? [/b] The responsibilities attached to a GA, RA, or TA? I'd advice you go back and read with open mind. A school that offers you a full tuition waiver, is certainly a good offer. It is not the opposite.
On selling yourself short, I have no idea what you are talking about at all. At least, not in the context of studying in the US on scholarship. Don't make it sounds like he is being offered the full tuition for a labouring job on construction site. If full tuition waiver is not free, what is it?

Na the same kind mentality I was trying to correct you still dey use write this kind comment. Since the money you get from a school during your master's in the US is a cheap labour, you for kuku stay for Nigeria. The last time I check, people's life changed for good when they leave the shore of Nigeria for studies in the US. Cheap labour? How ridiculous!
iwriterng:

Calm down, it's not being ungrateful. It's about knowing what you're getting into. Don't just jump on any offer because you're being "grateful". When reality hit you in America, you would wish you stayed back in Nigeria and get a cheap one year masters then migrate to Canada or Australia.

Also the money we're getting is NOT free money, do the maths, we're cheap labor. But yes, we should be grateful for the opportunity for a better life, also careful to not sell ourselves short along the line.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by iwriterng(m): 1:32pm On Mar 09, 2020
fairheart:
What kind of labouring is this? [/b] The responsibilities attached to a GA, RA, or TA? I'd advice you go back and read with open mind. A school that offers you a full tuition waiver, is certainly a good offer. It is not the opposite.
On selling yourself short, I have no idea what you are talking about at all. At least, not in the context of studying in the US on scholarship. Don't make it sounds like he is being offered the full tuition for a labouring job on construction site. If full tuition waiver is not free, what is it?

Na the same kind mentality I was trying to correct you still dey use write this kind comment. Since what you get in the US is a cheap labour, you for kuku stay for Nigeria. The last time I check, people's life changed for good when they leave the shore of Nigeria for studies in the US. Cheap labour? How ridiculous!

My detailed response to this will not be civil, so I'll just say, I don't agree with you.

And no, my comment bears no entitlement at all. And yes, GRA/TA/GTA is cheap labor to the university system. It doesn't mean we're ungrateful, and it doesn't change the fact that we're cheap labor and the deal favors the American system the more.

Enjoy your day.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 1:46pm On Mar 09, 2020
Thank you for your civil approach to this ; wink
And yes, lastly and for the sake of young graduates that will read this, I must add: being an international student from a country with weak and poorly funded education system, what you get for GRA/TA/GTA is not a cheap labour to the university system.

Considering the fact that you are a graduate student and the duties/responsibilities you carry out within any of those aforementioned positions somehow, directly or indirectly enrich your graduate school experience. You learn a lot; you gain new experiences; you are exposed--some opportunities with far-reaching, positive impact on your career, and even personal life.

A GTA will improve his/her teaching skills for teaching lower course to undergraduate students; a GRA will know more about research, methods, and so on--opportunities that a cheap master's in Nigeria will not offer you. As a graduate student--someone in the university to advance his/her knowledge and skills in a field-- it is certainly not a cheap labour. It is for your good!
When something is good, let us say it is good.

Take care.
iwriterng:

My detailed response to this will not be civil, so I'll just say, I don't agree with you.

And no, my comment bears no entitlement at all. And yes, GRA/TA/GTA is cheap labor to the university system. It doesn't mean we're ungrateful, and it doesn't change the fact that we're cheap labor and the deal favors the American system the more.

Enjoy your day.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 2:26pm On Mar 09, 2020
Milkshakes01:

I sent my applications to 4 schools on Nov 15th, deadline was Dec/Jan. 15th. I still haven’t gotten a decision from 2 schools.

Chill, you’re doing well wink. Most schools decisions will start coming in from this week till the last week in March. Don’t let tension kill you.
I applied in October and only got one decision in January, two last week and still waiting for the last one

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by yinkhar(f): 3:02pm On Mar 09, 2020
fairheart:
Imagine! You don't know if it is good offer or not? That sounds like you don't appreciate what you're being offered.
Do you know how much you are being offered in full tuition waiver you got? Take your calculator and do the math! Your trusted, shithole country cannot even give you 1% of that! Your school here in Nigeria cannot give you 1% of that! If, as a graduate, you cannot see the worth of what you are being offered by the school, just let it go. You don't deserve it!

Please contact the professor and tell him you don't know if it is good offer or not. In fact, tell him you don't want the scholarship so that the generous school will use their money on applicant that is desperate for something and that will see the value of what you are not sure about. Nigerians with entitlement mentality. Please turn down the offer; it is not good.

You need to calm your nerves because I don’t understand why your blood is so hot. So asking for peoples opinion made you bitter, baba check yourself. Keep your advice dude

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) (402) (403) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.