Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,250 members, 7,815,372 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:24 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (403) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1358965 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 10:02am On Mar 11, 2020
electromagnito:
guy i need advice, i just recently got a phd offer in hongkong but i still await decision from clemson university, and two schools in germany... here is my fear, my supervisor in hongkong has done alot to secure all possible fund for me, what should i do if i get admitted by clemson or the two germasn university... note i am in france and i feel hongkong is backward for me

I have to be blunt: If you feel hongkong is backward for you then why did you apply to hongkong in the first place?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by electromagnito: 10:25am On Mar 11, 2020
lordeoregon:

It's always great to have options like these, so if the Prof. hasn't given you any deadline, you can reach out to those other schools prior to reaching a decision. Hongkong is cool Bro. Always see opportunities like these as means to an end, and not the end itself. So you shouldn't view Hongkong as a backward step to France. Life no even easy for France sef...
i tell you brother, france na for strong men; after school for france na hell
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by electromagnito: 10:27am On Mar 11, 2020
Pefuele:

I have to be blunt: If you feel hongkong is backward for you then why did you apply to hongkong in the first place?
bros, i was desperate in need of a Phd position, so i thought i could obtain the Hongkong fellowship scholarship(lots of money my brother $33,000 per year), but i didnt get it(i was later told nigerians hardly obtain it) now i am in tight corner
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Onyedika11(m): 10:39am On Mar 11, 2020
Good morning all, I applied to 3 schools in the USA; I got 2 rejects and was wait listed by the other. Please, I want to know what my line of action should be?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Rabato: 10:41am On Mar 11, 2020
Onyedika11:
Good morning all, I applied to 3 schools in the USA; I got 2 rejects and was wait listed by the other. Please, I want to know what my line of action should be?

Which schools rejected and what’s your profile?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Onyedika11(m): 10:56am On Mar 11, 2020
University of Notre dame and Montana state University rejected while Tulane placed me on wait list
Profile: 301 for GRE.
GPA: 3.41/4
Rabato:

Which schools rejected and what’s your profile?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Milkshakes01(f): 11:18am On Mar 11, 2020
Onyedika11:

When did you receive your response from Notre Dame?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Onyedika11(m): 11:19am On Mar 11, 2020
I got decision from Notre Dame three weeks ago
Milkshakes01:

When did you receive your response from Notre Dame?

There are still some schools you can apply to, send me a pm. There is this interactive platform that can help you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Abby190(f): 11:27am On Mar 11, 2020
ok, what's your profile
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Stevenssen(m): 11:37am On Mar 11, 2020
charixxx:
Hey Guys do you y’all think the recent epidemic could delay fall entrance?
It's a pandemic now.
There is time to get it under control. China controlled theirs in about 2 months so hopefully by fall, cases will be declining worldwide.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by electromagnito: 11:41am On Mar 11, 2020
Onyedika11:
University of Notre dame and Montana state University rejected while Tulane placed me on wait list
Msc or Phd, and did you contact a professor
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Onyedika11(m): 11:44am On Mar 11, 2020
PhD, I tried contacting them but they didn't reply my emails
electromagnito:
Msc or Phd, and did you contact a professor
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by electromagnito: 12:34pm On Mar 11, 2020
Onyedika11:
PhD, I tried contacting them but they didn't reply my emails
now i see the angle where the rejection is coming from, Although it is not always stated but it is important to get a supervisor who will add weight to your application, the supervisor whom will likely carryout a skype interview with you, cause your GRE look okay compare to mine 284, because a supervisor comment carries weight .. next time trying contacting a professor and keep trying untill you get a responds except you are going for Msc but PhD its important.... best

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 1:06pm On Mar 11, 2020
electromagnito:
i tell you brother, france na for strong men; after school for france na hell

Lol...Just remembered my chats with a French guy in my class here. He said in the US, you could be Indian American, African American, Italian American, etc. But in France, you are either French or you are not.
Fear catch me Baba...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Onyedika11(m): 1:18pm On Mar 11, 2020
Thank you so much
electromagnito:
now i see the angle where the rejection, Although it is not always stated but it is important to get a supervisor who will add weight to your application, the supervisor whom will likely carryout a skype interview with you, cause your GRE look okay compare to mine 284 but a supervisor can comment can override this and the school gives you an admission.. next time trying contacting a professor and keep trying untill you get a responds except you are going for Msc but PhD its important.... best
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sultanfortune(m): 1:32pm On Mar 11, 2020
electromagnito:
now i see the angle where the rejection, Although it is not always stated but it is important to get a supervisor who will add weight to your application, the supervisor whom will likely carryout a skype interview with you, cause your GRE look okay compare to mine 284 but a supervisor can comment can override this and the school gives you an admission.. next time trying contacting a professor and keep trying untill you get a responds except you are going for Msc but PhD its important.... best

This is not true in most cases. Yes someone can contact a professor to be his/her supervisor but that does not mean that those who did not contact any professor will not get in.

The admission process is not biased against anyone regardless of contacting a professor or not.

Usually the admission committee meets and review application file of the individuals that applied into a certain program. They take a holistic review of the application file ranging from the GPA, GRE, statement of purpose, LOR, Resume and in some cases quality of ones writing sample.

That he has a fairly decent GRE score and GPA does not mean that he is automatically qualified to be given admission if the other parts of his application file is deficient in one way or the other. Another thing to look at is the quality of the applicants pool in the program he applied to, maybe the other people are strong in areas he may be deficient. A lot of people apply for PhD positions in schools and get in without contacting any professor or whatever the case may be.

My own take is, don’t make him believe he didn’t get in because he did not contact potential supervisor(s), admission decisions (reject/accept) is not hinged on contacting professors.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drhammed: 2:23pm On Mar 11, 2020
I beg to disagree with you a bit on this. For Ph.D. application (at least sciences, engineering) and in USA/Canada, you STRONGLY need an appraisal of a supervisor. Most schools will even state this categorically that "applicants are strongly encouraged to contact a potential PI". Of course, this is not universally through and some department allows you to apply and mention the name(s) of Profs you would like to work with (I must tell you this is tricky and your chances of gaining admission is way below 50% if you had not secured a PI already). Your narratives may be true if it's M.Sc application (most M.Sc thesis even requires you to secure PI 1st), but for a Ph.D., (and in 85% of schools that I have visited their website) you STRONGLY need the support of a Professor.
sultanfortune:

This is not true in most cases. Yes someone can contact a professor to be his/her supervisor but that does not mean that those who did not contact any professor will not get in.

The admission process is not biased against anyone regardless of contacting a professor or not.

Usually the admission committee meets and review application file of the individuals that applied into a certain program. They take a holistic review of the application file ranging from the GPA, GRE, statement of purpose, LOR, Resume and in some cases quality of ones writing sample.

That he has a fairly decent GRE score and GPA does not mean that he is automatically qualified to be given admission if the other parts of his application file is deficient in one way or the other. Another thing to look at is the quality of the applicants pool in the program he applied to, maybe the other people are strong in areas he may be deficient. A lot of people apply for PhD positions in schools and get in without contacting any professor or whatever the case may be.

My own take is, don’t make him believe he didn’t get in because he did not contact potential supervisor(s), admission decisions (reject/accept) is not hinged on contacting professors.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Shuayb0(m): 2:40pm On Mar 11, 2020
Hello everyone,

Lots of respect for the guys commenting and helping people out here.

My issue is I got into undergraduate via direct entry, IJMB from Ahmadu Bello Uni be precise. I’m currently applying to a school in texas and I added both my IJMB and undergraduate study, while also uploading IJMB certificate and unofficial undergraduate transcript.

School requires all official transcripts from post secondary institutions be sent electronically or post mail. Now I don’t have any information whether ABU sends IJMB certificates abroad or not. I will really appreciate any info on this. I did my IJMB in poly Ibadan in 2014.

Thanks for the anticipated response.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by websta: 2:53pm On Mar 11, 2020
Good day guys,
Has anyone gone for interview at the embassy since this COVID 19 outbreak?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Audacious21: 3:16pm On Mar 11, 2020
Good afternoon everyone, please I need help with my GRA application ASAP. I'm kinda stuck and I don't want to mess up this application.Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 3:25pm On Mar 11, 2020
What is the problem? Be specific
Audacious21:
Good afternoon everyone, please I need help with my GRA application ASAP. I'm kinda stuck and I don't want to mess up this application.Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 3:36pm On Mar 11, 2020
I think what sultanfortune was saying is that his application was not competitive enough! While securing a supervisor is usually encouraged, not able to secure one prior admission doesn't mean application is automatically rejected. I can tell you based on experience that the applicant was not accepted into the program because of the quality of his application. The guy in question applied to schools well within top 50 schools in the US. Norte Dome for example, is ranked very high. Your GRE, SOP, etc, couple with experience must be competitive. A potential supervisor will evaluate you before he say go ahead! Note that a top 20 school will be looking for top 10 to top 20 students in GRE, GPA, etc. [/b]In this case, you can't get in if your application is not strong; in fact, no supervisor will give you attention, because you are well below the standard they are looking for. I learn this from Pepperdine! Haven't you contact a graduate school for inquery and when they see your GPA, GRE, and work experience, they tell you: [b]"You are a very strong student; while I cannot personally promise you admission, there is high chance you will get into our program. We look for students like you" More so, these top schools handpick applicants; they don't just ditch admission out. If he has highly competitive application, I can tell you he would have been accepted and then recommend him to a potential supervisor.

No school will overlook a student with GPA of 3.75 and above, 320-above in GRE, strong SOP, undergraduate education from top school in the US, Europe or Asia over someone with 310 from Nigeria. Remember, they are doing business, and it is required that they pick only highly qualified students that will contribute to the high standard of the department and the entire school profile. Anything short of this na waste of money--even if you have a supervisor that is ready, they would still not offer admission. That is my take, based on experiences with my students!

drhammed:
I beg to disagree with you a bit on this. For Ph.D. application (at least sciences, engineering) and in USA/Canada, you STRONGLY need an appraisal of a supervisor. Most schools will even state this categorically that "applicants are strongly encouraged to contact a potential PI". Of course, this is not universally through and some department allows you to apply and mention the name(s) of Profs you would like to work with (I must tell you this is tricky and your chances of gaining admission is way below 50% if you had not secured a PI already). Your narratives may be true if it's M.Sc application (most M.Sc thesis even requires you to secure PI 1st), but for a Ph.D., (and in 85% of schools that I have visited their website) you STRONGLY need the support of a Professor.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Audacious21: 3:50pm On Mar 11, 2020
I'm to send an email to the professor, I have drafted an email to that effect but I really don't think it's good enough. I need help with that.
fairheart:
What is the problem? Be specific
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 3:52pm On Mar 11, 2020
I can help you proofread.
Audacious21:
I'm to send an email to the professor, I have drafted an email to that effect but I really don't think it's good enough. I need help with that.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 4:01pm On Mar 11, 2020
We can't use N1 million to buy a latest Benz! It won't work; nobody will sell it!

I encourage those who are still applying to schools to contact the department of their program before starting the application at all. This always give you clue whether or not you have a chance. Put your GPA, GRE, SOP, work experience as detailed on your CV together and assess yourself first. Are you competitive enough for the school you are shooting for? Will you be at the top 20 of, for example, 80 applicants that applied to this school? With earnest review of your application, and sharing your profile with someone within the department, you should be able to guess.

Secondly, in 2019, we discussed at length about the importance of getting into top schools, and how it doesn't guarantee post-study success in your career. If your profile is high, go for top schools, but note that going to top schools isn't what will determine how mighty you become in the real world. The front-line of every profession on earth is occupied by thinkers, initiators, pioneers, men and women with deep insight, those who are passionate about solving problem, and so on. Top schools doesn't necessarily instill these qualities; they are are qualities that evolve based on career outlook, how far you want to go in the field, and commitment. I know Harvard graduate that is not exceptional in his field, yet Harvard is Ivy League. And I know someone who travel to the US with a vision to use his masters as launchpad to remake his field.
Let's think about that!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 4:03pm On Mar 11, 2020
May I ask you, what are you looking for in an ideal university for your PhD?
Onyedika11:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Audacious21: 4:06pm On Mar 11, 2020
Thanks, can I send to you email?
fairheart:
I can help you proofread.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 4:10pm On Mar 11, 2020
If you can't post it here, you can use the DM to contact me. I won't post my email address here.
Audacious21:
Thanks, can I send to you email?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by drhammed: 4:11pm On Mar 11, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 4:13pm On Mar 11, 2020
electromagnito:
bros, i was desperate in need of a Phd position, so i thought i could obtain the Hongkong fellowship scholarship(lots of money my brother $33,000 per year), but i didnt get it(i was later told nigerians hardly obtain it) now i am in tight corner

It means you applied for it because you feel it is lucrative. Wait for decisions from your other schools.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by uzmu: 4:15pm On Mar 11, 2020
please Guru in the house help review my intending Transcript,b4 my interview i will be going for the 4th time.

QUESTIONS

WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO?

Am going to lynn university,Boca Raton Florida for my Masters deqree program in
Games and interactive Media Design,with specialization in Interactive
media design and front end Development .

WHY GAMES AND INTERACTIVE MEDIA DESIGN?

I have always have a penchat for programming and especially how most programing
lauguage interact with front end development irrespective of their platforms,i had my first
degree in computer science and a certificate in Java Technology ,using web component Technologies,
having a masters deqgree will help broaden my horizon by giving me the technical skill-set required.

WHO DO YOU HEAR ABOUT THE SCH

From my undergradute course mate who had is M.sc from there,and he currently works
with Ericson Nigeria,he told me about the Quality of their Education and how its Researched
based,after which i checked online using us news to see there rating and ranking.

HOW MANY SCHOOLS DID YOU APPLIED TO

I applied to 3 others schools,university of southern California,Tuft university, and utah valley university.

WHY DID YOU CHOOSE LYNN?

Because of its Diversity and innovation
The programs are Accelerated and Affordable
Award winning ipad-powered programs
good faculty Ratio of 18:1
cause of the research currently going on interactive Media
cause of its Rich curriculum that offers a course in web marketing and search
engine optimization,which is of kneel interest to me.

WHAT DO U DO?
Am a bossiness man,am into sales and supply of building materials.
NB,having being working in an IT Firm for the past 8 years,Resigned into full time business

WHO IS SPONSORING YOU?

Me dad,He is the deputy Registrar in one of the state owned polytechnic. and i also have so savings too

YOU HAVE BEING DENIED B4,WHAT HAS CHANGED?

This time am going to a Top Ranked university of all my admit,
I now have document to show i have ties to my home country.

WHY ARE YOU CHANGING UNIVERSITY

Cause am interested in schools where i can get good Quality education that is well
ranked and recognized.

WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS AFTER GRADUATUION?

Upon Graduation i will return back to Nigeria and continue with my Business while i seek gainfully
employment,cause i know my degree will enable me to stand out.

WHAT WILL THIS DEGREE DO FOR YOU?

This Degree will equip me with the technical skills required to be a web Developer and digital marketer,
this will in turn give my Business a complete boost and make it more competitive as most business today
are now online.

WHAT ARE THE COURSE U WILL BE OFFERING?

Web Design Technology
Design Management
Analytical website interface & usability
web Marketing and search Engine optimization
Advanced web Technology
web Applications.
just mentioned this few

please i will accept corrections,additions and critics with suggestions thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Pefuele(m): 4:20pm On Mar 11, 2020
Onyedika11:

Which course did you apply to?

(1) (2) (3) ... (400) (401) (402) (403) (404) (405) (406) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.