Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,554 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (41) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1365224 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:23am On Jun 16, 2019
Katripka:
Hi Guys!

I've been a silent reader but I thought to share my experience

Visa was denied at the US Consulate Lagos

My transcript goes thus:

VO: Pass me your Passport, I-20, SEVIS

Me: Passes documents

VO: How did you get the scholarship?

Me: A culmination of my application - competitive GRE Score, Quality work experience, stellar recommendations and an impressive interview experience

VO: (looks impressed)...I can see your husband has been in the US for the past one year. Care to explain why?

Me: We are divorced, He is my ex-husband.........

VO: Sorry, you do not qualify for the visa...blah blah and hands me the pink slip

Me: Walks away feeling super-dejected

(Please note; My total funding was $75,594 per Annum = $151,188 for two years)

Is he there illegally or legally ?

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 8:27am On Jun 16, 2019
you should provide more details if you want a proper review of your case, school name, program admitted for, your background information will aid in a better review. Nevertheless, I think your husband or ex husband seems to be the problem, going by the information you provided were you divorced before your ex husband moved to the US, if you have evidence of the divorce then you can apply again and provide that, on the other hand this looks like the classic case of husband relocated got married for kpali and now wife is coming to join him... my opinion though

Katripka:
Hi Guys!

My transcript goes thus:

Me: A culmination of my application - competitive GRE Score, Quality work experience, stellar recommendations and an impressive interview experience

VO: (looks impressed)...I can see your husband has been in the US for the past one year. Care to explain why?

VO: Sorry, you do not qualify for the visa...blah blah and hands me the pink slip

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 8:32am On Jun 16, 2019
Katripka:
Hi Guys!

My transcript goes thus:

How did the divorce happen? Was it documented? How do you prove to the V.O that you are divorced since your husband has been in the USA?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Johnolukolade(m): 8:39am On Jun 16, 2019
Katripka:
Hi Guys!

My transcript goes thus:

I'm sorry about your refusal... Truth be told, you shouldn't have mentioned him on your Ds-160 when y'all aren't together anymore . However, make sure you include it on the next Ds-160 cos it's a big deal already.
In fact, there are several things to be considered .
Just hope for a VO that'll overlook that.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 8:41am On Jun 16, 2019
Johnolukolade:

I'm sorry about your refusal... Truth be told, you shouldn't have mentioned him on your Ds-160 when y'all aren't together anymore . However, make sure you include it on the next Ds-160 cos it's a big deal already. Just hope for a VO that'll overlook that.

Even if she doesn't. The husband must have included her in his DS 160 as his wife. So there is no way she can avoid that question. I don't think they are legally divorced since the husband has been in the USA.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Johnolukolade(m): 8:46am On Jun 16, 2019
Time2win:

Even if she doesn't. The husband must have included her in his DS 160 as his wife. So there is no way she can avoid that question. I don't think they are legally divorced since the husband has been in the USA.

It's a big deal bro. Everyone's case is unique.
They should divorce legally and document it... if that won't be too late though. Also, the man might have gone with a short B1 and have overstayed his visa. Several things come to play here bro. She can only hope.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Huncho1: 8:50am On Jun 16, 2019
Good day house please when is the best time to start applying for January 2020 spring admission.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 8:50am On Jun 16, 2019
Johnolukolade:

It's a big deal bro. Everyone's case is unique.
They should divorce legally and document it... if that won't be too late though. Also, the man might have gone with a short B1 and have overstayed his visa. Several things come to play here bro. She can only hope.

If she can get a divorce certificate from registry, then she should reply. I won't advise reapplying till the issue is sorted out.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ibruks(m): 8:55am On Jun 16, 2019
[quote author=Davidkking post=79370889][/quote]

Which site or app is this please?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ibruks(m): 8:55am On Jun 16, 2019
Nehemiah77:

Congratulations! Was there any deficit in your funding?
No sir
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by obaru: 9:19am On Jun 16, 2019
Please my interview is coming up soon. I'm for fall 2019 and want to be part of part 15. I have an unconditional admission for Ph.D in mechanical engineering for fall 2019 at the university of Texas at Arlington. My academic advisor has said I will be given financial aid. Please house, is it the same as funding? Also, he said I will be offered a GTA and the list will be out formally after September 1, 2019 cos I made 107 in my Toefl, GRE( verbal 160 and quant 169) and 4 in my analytical writing. an aggregate of 329 in my GRE.
Please house, I need answers to the following questions;
1. Is financial aid same as funding?
2. The financial aid offer which I don't know the amount and GTA allowance are not showing in my I-20 and my interview is in few weeks time. Please, what should I do? I also need help for possible questions and answers by the VO from the forum.
Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 9:26am On Jun 16, 2019
obaru:
Please my interview is coming up soon. I'm for fall 2019 and want to be part of part 15. I have an unconditional admission for Ph.D in mechanical engineering for fall 2019 at the university of Texas at Arlington. My academic advisor has said I will be given financial aid. Please house, is it the same as funding? Also, he said I will be offered a GTA and the list will be out formally after September 1, 2019 cos I made 107 in my Toefl, GRE( verbal 160 and quant 169) and 4 in my analytical writing. an aggregate of 329 in my GRE.
Please house, I need answers to the following questions;
1. Is financial aid same as funding?
2. The financial aid offer which I don't know the amount and GTA allowance are not showing in my I-20 and my interview is in few weeks time. Please, what should I do? I also need help for possible questions and answers by the VO from the forum.
Thanks

You are a brilliant person to get those scores. You supposed to know answer to number 1 question that you are asking.

Since the offer will come out sept 1, you have not been given the offer yet, that's why it's not showing on your i20. The school plan to give you the offer when you resume. Meaning you have to attend the interview with a statement of account showing availability of required funds on the I20.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 9:30am On Jun 16, 2019
Huncho1:
Good day house please when is the best time to start applying for January 2020 spring admission.
I am not sure, I think it depends on the schools you have your eyes on. Why not find out their application deadlines(specifically your program) and other necessary information on their websites.I don't know if you intend going for a B.Sc/MSc/PhD but you can find out the requirements, if there are standardized tests required, if evaluation of transcripts is necessary. You can also start creating rough drafts of SOP's and building a credible bank statement.
I don't even know if I made sense at all grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 9:34am On Jun 16, 2019
Time2win:

You are a brilliant person to get those scores. You supposed to know answer to number 1 question that you are asking.

Since the offer will come out sept 1, you have not been given the offer yet, that's why it's not showing on your i20. The school plan to give you the offer when you resume. Meaning you have to attend the interview with a statement of account showing availability of required funds on the I20.
I absolutely agree with you! I just wish alongside the credible SOA, he could get a letter indicating prospective funding.
Master, is that even possible grin grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Katripka: 9:34am On Jun 16, 2019
He overstayed his B1/B2, So he is there illegally
LagosismyHome:

Is he there illegally or legally ?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Huncho1: 9:35am On Jun 16, 2019
Oh yes you are making a lot of sense I’m going for my BSc the school application deadline is October 1st ...though my concern is since they haven’t even started fall yet won’t it be looking too early I’m not so certain embarassed
sharwama:

I am not sure, I think it depends on the schools you have your eyes on. Why not find out their application deadlines(specifically your program) and other necessary information on their websites.I don't know if you intend going for a B.Sc/MSc/PhD but you can find out the requirements, if there are standardized tests required, if evaluation of transcripts is necessary. You can also start creating rough drafts of SOP's and building a credible bank statement.
I don't even know if I made sense at all grin grin grin
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sharwama(f): 9:42am On Jun 16, 2019
Huncho1:
Oh yes you are making a lot of sense I’m going for my BSc the school application deadline is October 1st ...though my concern is since they haven’t even started fall yet won’t it be looking too early I’m not so certain embarassed
Awww, you sound so innocent. As long as they are ready to accept your application, I don't think it's too early. It shows that you are sure about your choice and your interest in the school, you know what you want and you are passionate about getting it. Just make sure your overall application is powerful and irresistible, I mean sell ya market wella grin grin grin
May the force be with you!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Delux4luv: 9:43am On Jun 16, 2019
Folks, when calling US embassy on +23412278955, how do you navigate to get to talk to an agent? Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Katripka: 9:54am On Jun 16, 2019
Thanks!

We were divorced after he moved to the US.

So here is a little background story, we were having a lot of marital troubles in the early years of our marriage, we both attended numerous counselling and part of the recommendations of the counsellor, was to travel on a family vacation together, in order to help the union.

We applied for a family visa and we travelled together. It was after we got to the US, that the story changed around staying back on our B1/B2. We got into a heated argument as I was unwilling to overstay, so I came back home and commenced the divorce proceedings which was finalized late last year.

I have the divorce documents but the VO wasn't even willing to listen let alone sight the documents. I tried explaining to her, that the opportunity to stay back presented itself, but because I was unwilling to jeopardize my future, I did not.

This is definitely not a case of wife going to join him but it's hard to believe going by the numerous atrocities committed by Nigerians
blackmamba147:
you should provide more details if you want a proper review of your case, school name, program admitted for, your background information will aid in a better review. Nevertheless, I think your husband or ex husband seems to be the problem, going by the information you provided were you divorced before your ex husband moved to the US, if you have evidence of the divorce then you can apply again and provide that, on the other hand this looks like the classic case of husband relocated got married for kpali and now wife is coming to join him... my opinion though

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 10:03am On Jun 16, 2019
Did you fill your marital status as divorced on your DS160? If yes, the issue of your husband would not have come up.
Katripka:
Hi Guys!

My transcript goes thus:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by ysteph: 10:06am On Jun 16, 2019
The issue is because you both got visas together the first time. It will always come up. Fill another DS160 let your marital status be divorced.
Katripka:
Thanks!

So here is a little background story, we were having a lot of marital troubles in the early years of our marriage, we both attended numerous counselling and part of the recommendations of the counsellor, was to travel on a family vacation together, in order to help the union.

We applied for a family visa and we travelled together. It was after we got to the US, that the story changed around staying back on our B1/B2. We got into a heated argument as I was unwilling to overstay, so I came back home and commenced the divorce proceedings which was finalized late last year.

I have the divorce documents but the VO wasn't even willing to listen let alone sight the documents. I tried explaining to her, that the opportunity to stay back presented itself, but because I was unwilling to jeopardize my future, I did not.

This is definitely not a case of wife going to join him but it's hard to believe going by the numerous atrocities committed by Nigerians
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Time2win(m): 10:08am On Jun 16, 2019
sharwama:

I absolutely agree with you! I just wish alongside the credible SOA, he could get a letter indicating prospective funding.
Master, is that even possible grin grin grin

Sure it's possible.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Huncho1: 10:11am On Jun 16, 2019
Thank you sharwama I appreciate smiley
sharwama:

Awww, you sound so innocent. As long as they are ready to accept your application, I don't think it's too early. It shows that you are sure about your choice and your interest in the school, you know what you want and you are passionate about getting it. Just make sure your overall application is powerful and irresistible, I mean sell ya market wella grin grin grin
May the force be with you!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 10:17am On Jun 16, 2019
Katripka:
Thanks!

Due to above which has happened so frequently .... it veryhard for a VO to belive. Even that you are divorced is not convincing because many have divorced just for one party to do papers and after the paper come back

I can't really add or advice you. ... you can only try again and hope the next Vo doesnt notice this

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Gcodded: 10:43am On Jun 16, 2019
good day house. please does us embassy approve visa for part time undergraduate student. thanks in advance
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muyiwa951: 10:50am On Jun 16, 2019
Gcodded:
good day house. please does us embassy approve visa for part time undergraduate student. thanks in advance

No. Why would you want to go for a part time?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Joe005: 11:14am On Jun 16, 2019
Please how true is this?

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AgreatMan: 11:16am On Jun 16, 2019
Katripka:
Hi Guys!

My transcript goes thus:

If they ask u to explain something, kindly explain. This denial attitude is annoying and u r indirectly querying the intelligence of the VO.

You will have to try again. And go with physical evidence of divorce. Also, point it out that u didn't want to be a fugitive that's why u left him there. Strong evidence backed by appealing to the VOs emotion might sway the VO.

Don't give them a chance to punch u, put it out there right away that u Understand that appear like u will abscond n try to build your case from there.

U have a strong profile, but it just smell too much like a family reunion. Good luck, and pray too.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 11:31am On Jun 16, 2019
Katripka:
Hi Guys!

My transcript goes thus:

Im not normally an interview guru..but seeing that you're on the verge of loosing that delicious funding..I have to help in any way I can!

You really still have a shot.. Please refire and don't abandon that substantial funding because of your ex-husband.

When you were asked 'Care to explain Why'...you should have answered by explaining your wedding issues, going on vacation together to fix it, everything going worse when he wanted you to overstay with him, you not agreeing, and then the consequent divorce.. that way..the interviewer would have known that you too are disappointed and confused by the fact that your ex-husband is overstaying..and he would have seen that when you had a strong chance to do so, you didn't...which would have strengthened your ties to your home country immeasurably..

If you're asked that question again, answer by chipping in facts about your divorce situation..like I explained above. And don't forget to note in your DS160 that you're divorced..
During interview retries.. sometimes, the interviewer asks 'What has changed since your last interview'..If you're asked that, I think you should tell the VO that during your last interview you did not have the chance to explain your situation with your ex-husband that has been in the US..but this time you want to stress on that..
Then, if you're given the chance, explain everything you said about wedding issues, going on vacation together to fix it, everything going worse when he wanted you to overstay with him, you not agreeing, and then the consequent divorce..

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Javanian: 11:32am On Jun 16, 2019
Been wavering on whether I should make this post or not but I decided to, maybe I may get some help here or maybe it may be of help to someone here.

After I got my visa last month, I decided to tell my supervisor I had gotten the visa and then I went ahead to ask him if there was anything I could do to better prepare myself for work in his lab since I had two months left before my scheduled arrival date. See me where I am forming good student o grin I was probably hoping he will just tell me to brush up on certain concepts, or books, or maybe learn a programming language that was actively used in his lab that I didn't already know, or maybe he will just tell me to focus on my travel preparation tongue. After about a week he replied, attached about 10 research papers and told me to peruse them and give him feedback. Some of them were even peoples complete Ph.D. thesis shocked shocked. Boy! see work I have given myself cry. I could not even complain because na me find trouble. I cannot come across as unserious even before I arrive so I really can't put it off now. So I have been trying to read the papers and make sense out of them and it has been a whole lot of work and has been very time-consuming. But I just really have to, to enable me write a reply to his email that will show that I really did read the papers he sent. I don't know if there is a lesson here or if I did the right thing, but I just thought I should share.

sheke01:

I can relate with number 2. I took Amazon internship assessment back in February and all the technical questions could be found in Leetcode and HackerRank. Boy, na once I fail comot.

shayhune:
The day is drawing nearer. Commencement is approaching. It all still feels like yesterday when we were all preparing for the GRE, applying to schools, seeking funding, asking for mock interviews, reading through past interview transcripts and looking forward to a "better" life in the United States of America. I look back at this experience and all I can say is I'm grateful to God for the journey so far. It's not been all rosy living as an international student in this foreign land but every moment has been worth it. My experience here has been one of joy and regret. Joy because I keep relishing on the fact that I'm fortunate to be out of Nigeria. Regret because I wish I knew some information before migrating. In everything, I give thanks to God.

I'll just chip in some advice for tech folks(and anyone it applies to) coming or planning to come over,so you don't make same mistakes I made.
1. Whatever you learn in class is needful but challenge yourself to hone your software development skills because what really counts are your skills, not your 4.0 CGPA.
2. For the smart geeks, practice Leetcode and HackerRank questions starting from your first semester and get familiar with their problems and solutions if you really want to scale through the tough tech interviews and land a good job that will sponsor your work visa.

Been over a month you two made these posts, but I just wanted to say Thanks. I am taking your advice seriously. After I read your posts, I decided to start the practice by the beginning of June--after my visa interview. I had been planning to do so but had been procrastinating so your posts gingered me. I had to make a decision on Leetcode vs Hackerrank and I eventually decided to settle for Leetcode because I found the challenges on Hackerrank too verbose. I decided to do at least one problem a day starting from 1st of June, and so far so good, today is 16th of June and I checked my Leetcode account and I had successfully completed 16 problems. I am hoping to keep up the pace though I don't know how I can keep up when I resume school. Thanks once again.

On Travel

I was able to book a flight from Lagos to Dallas, Tx for about 385k on Jumia Travels. Same flight on Qatar airways website went for 460k. Anyone looking for flights should check them out, their service was really good. I have also heard good things about Expedia and Travelstart.

Goodluck to everyone.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 11:40am On Jun 16, 2019
Joe005:
Please how true is this?
It's as true as a scam.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by dreambound(m): 11:48am On Jun 16, 2019
Johnolukolade:

I'm sorry about your refusal... Truth be told, you shouldn't have mentioned him on your Ds-160 when y'all aren't together anymore . However, make sure you include it on the next Ds-160 cos it's a big deal already.
In fact, there are several things to be considered .
Just hope for a VO that'll overlook that.

They had already gone on a family vacation to US together..which means it's already documented in the US database that they were married..

The only mistake that would have occurred is if she did not note in her ds160 that they are now divorced..but I believe she noted it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.