Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,745 members, 7,824,147 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:38 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (532) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1364579 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheNoble007(m): 3:02am On Aug 03, 2020
adelawry:
Hello,

Pls if you got admitted into University of Louisiana at Lafayette for Fall 2020.

Kindly send a PM.

I got admitted with Funding and my supervisor who is also the graduate coordinator has just mailed to confirm my visa and flight status on or before 3rd August else my assistantship would be transferred to another student as class commences 17th August.

I’m nonplussed at the moment. I have mailed the office of international students of my school and they directed me to the guidelines for new students on their website where I read - I can keep my tuition waiver while outside the US but not my graduate assistantship. This made me relaxed a little until I got the mail from the coordinator this morning. The problem now is the RA I got came with tuition waiver.
I don’t know what to say to the coordinator and I have to respond. I’ve never been more confused.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 4:56am On Aug 03, 2020
adelawry:
Hello,

Pls if you got admitted into University of Louisiana at Lafayette for Fall 2020.

Kindly send a PM.

I got admitted with Funding and my supervisor who is also the graduate coordinator has just mailed to confirm my visa and flight status on or before 3rd August else my assistantship would be transferred to another student as class commences 17th August.

I’m nonplussed at the moment. I have mailed the office of international students of my school and they directed me to the guidelines for new students on their website where I read - I can keep my tuition waiver while outside the US but not my graduate assistantship. This made me relaxed a little until I got the mail from the coordinator this morning. The problem now is the RA I got came with tuition waiver.
I don’t know what to say to the coordinator and I have to respond. I’ve never been more confused.

Unfortunately there is not much you can do. At best you should consider deferring your admission. They cannot grant you an RA if you are unable to be present on campus and someone else is in the position to take up the opportunity. You may be able to re-apply for the RA when you are ready to attend in person.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 4:59am On Aug 03, 2020
mvem:
the problem is those with assistantship... Will their funding still be intact because not all schools are saying same thing with this regard...I think the best is to discuss with the department and graduate school to find a buffer and common ground that will benefit both parties...some uni accept differing to spring and ensures that your funding is intact some don't give that option but requesting you enter the pool again...these pandemic created a scenario that many schools are foreign to

There is no "common ground" to be had. Simply defer your admission. Except in cases where the tuition waiver is granted as a fellowship (no work required to maintain tuition waiver), then they cannot simply grant you an RA if you are not physically present.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Agroblessing: 5:46am On Aug 03, 2020
Friedpotato:
don't mind her. I have a full ride undergraduate scholarship which includes a free laptop for this fall 2020 session. I should just leave it and go to Canada.

She herself is there on a good scholarship offer. I hope she sees what we've been trying to say since that Trumps policies are not pro-americans but purely anti-immigrant and xenophobic.

Pls what schools gave you these scholarships
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:51am On Aug 03, 2020
adelawry:
Hello,

Kindly send a PM.

Very painful... I pray it all works out in your favour
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 9:27am On Aug 03, 2020
Nostradamus1:
Pls house I need help

I have been trying to download the common app ontrack from google play store but I can't seem to find it.My subsequent chat with foreigners on reddit confirmed that it was released on August 1st.I would like any kind hearted person to try and download it(probably someone within naija),so that I can confirm if it is a problem of location (although I suspect it hasn't been released to naija play store).
Pls if you find it on Nigeria play store ,I will be happy if you draw my attention to it .
Thanks

Cc:tarantino,phenomenalopeye

It's on play store I saw it but didn't download it

I searched for common app
And it was on my search result on play store
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nostradamus1: 12:06pm On Aug 03, 2020
Phenomenalopeye:

It's on play store I saw it but didn't download it

I searched for common app
And it was on my search result on play store
thanks.
Lemme check again
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 03, 2020
adelawry:
Hello,

Kindly send a PM.

Email him and explain the situation. There will surely be funding for you next year. He will give you priority for next academic session.

Confirm if your department admits in Spring, if not your best bet will be to defer to Fall.

I am certainly sure you’ll get funding for next academic session.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 1:26pm On Aug 03, 2020
The problem with funding and losing assistantship due to closure of the embassy can be resolved, and have the GA reinstated.
The question is, are you willing to wait? If you defer and your school plan to withdraw your GA, the best you can do is wait. If there's no option to defer to Spring 2021, go for Fall 2021. The wait period is 8 months, counting from September next month to April 2021 when you'll be able to apply for an F1 visa for fall 2021. 8 month is very short if you know how fast time flies.
Also, while you consider your options, understand that there are other schools offering the same program that accept students for Spring. If you can afford to apply to more schools, you can look for them and apply to 1 or 2 schools. Also, understand that there are schools that award GAs in spring too, though not as many as in the Fall.

If your school has said you cannot defer your admission with the funding you have, let go. It is outside your control. However, I advise that you should contact the department coordinator or the person in charge of your funding and talk heart-to-heart. I always tell my students: Americans are not as cold as Nigerians; they are empathetic people who engage both their heart and head when making decisions on situations. One thing is certain: If you talk to the person in charge of your department from your heart, letting them know you've picked their school as the best place to study and you cannot imagine going elsewhere due to the pandemic; let them know your financial situation may be affected and without the GA offer during the next semester you're deferring to, you'll not be able to use the deferred admission. Send a message, or make an appointment for a call if possible. If you're not used to interacting with foreigners on a one-on-one level, send a message. Just don't make it too long.

I have shared cases on this thread where the student differed, lost her funding, but had it reinstated when she picked up the admission later. GA is an employment; every organization needs to employ employees from time to time, which means losing your funding now is not a lost opportunity. You may lose your GA now, but in most cases (and if you have a relationship with your graduate coordinator), they will put you on their wait-list when awarding funding during next admission term. After all, you have admission on file and you were previously awarded the funding?

In life, things can get out of control. It's not unluckiness, it's just how life is. Acceptance, not losing hope, can help a lot. And while you accept the situation as it is, be flexible, see where you can adjust, and consider that things can improve with time. You have to hope that the embassy opens.
Let's say you have 8 month to wait, what can you do?

I remember a student who reached out to me from here in 2018/2019. His situation also required that he wait due to the fact that he couldn't get funding with his admission. One of the advice I gave was that he should use his time for what is beneficial and one of those things would be to travel somewhere out of the country. Traveling is also education, and it can reward us with exposure and even opportunity for better nextwork of like minds. He listened and visited Rwanda--an experience he's passionately grateful for later. He looked at finance and traveled, and as life has it, he didn't spend much. But of course, that's because he could afford it. The following admission term, funding was offered, got his visa and traveled. The ability to "wait" when we can't wait to have what we want, is one of the biggest signs that we actually deserve what we want!

Russia said it will start giving vaccines in large numbers to its citizens from October. The US is planning 100 million doses before the end of this year. These are signs of hope. It's only those who lose hope and give up that have nothing to gain! Make sure that person is not you.
I was one of those who focus on hoping that the U.S embassy will open for fall on this thread; I even tried to link that to a dream I saw. Well today is August 3, and it appear this is not happening as we hoped. I also remember encouraging some of you to hold off deferring until first week of August. Right, we are in first week of August now: Please contact your school this week and tell them to defer to available admission term for your program.

Have a great week guys!

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ehizy007: 3:04pm On Aug 03, 2020
Apt!

The ability to "wait" when we can't wait to have what we want, is one of the biggest signs that we actually deserve what we want!

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lekan239(m): 4:09pm On Aug 03, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Very painful... I pray it all works out in your favour
please check your email ma
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 5:33pm On Aug 03, 2020
Ehizy007:
Apt!

The ability to "wait" when we can't wait to have what we want, is one of the biggest signs that we actually deserve what we want!

So if I wait patiently for your wife, it is a sign confirming that I deserve her?

Sorry but I have to laugh at our predilection for thinking every statement that sounds nice is necessarily true.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ehizy007: 6:07pm On Aug 03, 2020
Whichever way you choose to see things...That's your prerogative smiley
TWoods:

So if I wait patiently for your wife, it is a sign confirming that I deserve her?

Sorry but I have to laugh at our predilection for thinking every statement that sounds nice is necessarily true.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 6:22pm On Aug 03, 2020
TWoods:

An intellectual with an honest view on a subject would not interpret a statement out of context, but look at it objectively within the context such statement has been used.
He quoted a sentence that I used in a context of what I was talking about. More so, look at the example you applied the quote to. Isn't that ridiculous and shows that you just didn't like the quote and not because the quote was invalid or not true? You can't wait for his wife because his wife belong to him; you don't deserve his wife because you have your own wife. Don't be a cheat. grin
If you really think the quote is not necessarily true as much as it sounds nice, give me a better and reasonable example. Your example here is as ridiculous as the way you see the quote.

And that quote was originally mine.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by RemarkableMind: 6:23pm On Aug 03, 2020
TWoods:

Wetin concern another man's wife with getting a student visa? You no get sense at all undecided

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AfonjaBoston: 6:24pm On Aug 03, 2020
Ehizy007:
Apt!

LMAO. grin grin grin grin Who formulated this quote? Abi na figment of your imagination.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 6:27pm On Aug 03, 2020
"The ability to "wait" when we can't wait to have what we want, is one of the biggest signs that we actually deserve what we want!" — Fairheart
smiley

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ehizy007: 6:29pm On Aug 03, 2020
Spot On! smiley
fairheart:

An intellectual with an honest view on a subject would not interpret a statement out of context, but look at it objectively within the context such statement has been used.
He quoted a sentence that I used in a context of what I was talking about. More so, look at the example you applied the quote to. Isn't that ridiculous and shows that you just didn't like the quote and not because the quote was invalid or not true? You can't wait for his wife because his wife belong to him; you don't deserve his wife because you have your own wife. Don't be a cheat. grin
If you really think the quote is not necessarily true as much as it sounds nice, give me a better and reasonable example. Your example here is as ridiculous as the way you see the quote.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AfonjaBoston: 6:29pm On Aug 03, 2020
fairheart:

He quoted a sentence that I used in a context of what I was talking about. More so, look at the example you applied the quote to. Isn't that ridiculous and shows that you just didn't like the quote and not because the quote was invalid or not true? You can't wait for his wife because his wife belong to him; you don't deserve his wife because you have your own wife. grin

Bros formulate quote about waiting on naija to prosper for me abeg

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by AfonjaBoston: 6:31pm On Aug 03, 2020
fairheart:
"The ability to "wait" when we can't wait to have what we want, is one of the biggest signs that we actually deserve what we want!" — Fairheart
smiley

For your mind now you have formulated an award winning quote abi?

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 6:35pm On Aug 03, 2020
AfonjaBoston:

For your mind now you have formulated an award winning quote abi?

Lols.
Since you have refused to see the message in that sentence in the context it was used, I couldn't help it but put it out well for you to read and understand.
Lift your cap when you see a man with a deep mind.
I be set of your professors for school grin

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by horlahsunbo225(m): 7:23pm On Aug 03, 2020
fairheart:

Lols.
Since you have refused to see the message in that sentence in the context it was used, I couldn't help it but put it out well for you to read and understand.

Hit them bro.....you're not among those that got married to get their papers and come back here to spill trash...

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 7:39pm On Aug 03, 2020
AfonjaBoston:

Bros formulate quote about waiting on naija to prosper for me abeg

Just because I have the time. Nigeria's case cannot be improved by mere waiting; we need radical change in how we think and behave, and to do that, we have to deeply desire change and prosperity. I believe this desire will push us to pay the price required for true democracy and prosperity. But I doubt this will be happening soon, if ever. Because Nigerians are not yet tired of futile waiting for a messiah with a magic wand. To sum it up for you, here is another original quote: God will not do for Nigerians the things He has given them the resources and abilities to do by themselves for themselves.
Thank you!

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 7:41pm On Aug 03, 2020
fairheart:

The problem here is your ego...

Your point was well made, it did not need an unnecessary quote that didn’t even sound logical WITHIN the context of what you wrote. Waiting does not mean what you’re waiting for is legitimately yours.

It’s ok to be pragmatic... everyone is free to wait 8 months until covid is over to get to start their educational program... the school is free to decide NOT to maintain their RA because funny enough, you’re not the only one waiting... and others are praying just as hard as you are. By all means wait, but always be prepped with plan B and the capacity to accept disappointment gracefully.

But by all means... type another senseless screed for your fans.

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 7:43pm On Aug 03, 2020
fairheart:

Lols.

Your last 2 sentences summarizes part of the problem with Nigeria in a nutshell. Everyone is an Einstein in his own mind.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 7:53pm On Aug 03, 2020
TWoods:

The problem here is your ego...

Your point was well made, it did not need an unnecessary quote that didn’t even sound logical WITHIN the context of what you wrote. Waiting does not mean what you’re waiting for is legitimately yours.

It’s ok to be pragmatic... everyone is free to wait 8 months until covid is over to get to start their educational program... the school is free to decide NOT to maintain their RA because funny enough, you’re not the only one waiting... and others are praying just as hard as you are. By all means wait, but always be prepped with plan B and the capacity to accept disappointment gracefully.

But by all means... type another senseless screed for your fans.

Lols. grin. Your comment is riddled with bitterness and unnecessary envy. Why are you so pained? When a person is mentally superior to us in a constructive argument, we find it cheap to attack their personality. Ego? Where is the ego? What has my ego got to do with this?

That I have pride and exude superior confidence in my choice of words or in the way I write? Hell Yes! I write part-time and I excel at it. Is that what causes you pain? You miss the point completely. May it not be what I'm thinking: Are you pained by the number of "likes" my post received? It appear so. Who are the fans you are referring to? Dude, something is wrong with you!

You should go back to the original post and read with an open mind and learn, because I can tell you for a fact that you're the one whose ego has veiled his reasoning from fair understanding, hence the reason you failed to acknowledge. I have preach more to prospective F1 students about having plan B than anyone else on this thread. You need a fix, because sometimes, you are just unnecessarily annoying.

10 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 8:02pm On Aug 03, 2020
TWoods:

Your last 2 sentences summarizes part of the problem with Nigeria in a nutshell. Everyone is an Einstein in his own mind.
The goat in Twoods at it again! Maybe you should remove the image of the goat on your profile. Since you are too pained to understand joke, I have no choice than to come hard on you.

One of the problems with Nigeria is a man like you, who's too weak and full of himself in the face of people who are mentally superior to him. You don't know how far I have gone as a youth trying to fix a portion of Nigeria's problem; you don't know what I have even sacrificed. It's an escapist like you, who claim to know the problem and have the solution to Nigeria's problems, but will never lift his sore finger or put himself to the airport and go to Nigeria to tell us what solution he has.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by RemarkableMind: 8:09pm On Aug 03, 2020
fairheart:

The goat in Twoods at it again! Maybe you should remove the image of the goat on your profile. Since you are too pained to understand joke, I have no choice than to come hard on you.

One of the problems with Nigeria is a man like you, who's too weak and full of himself in the face of people who are mentally superior to him. You don't know how far I have gone as a youth trying to fix a portion of Nigeria's problem; you don't know what I have even sacrificed. It's an escapist like you, who claim to know the problem and have the solution to Nigeria's problems, but will never lift his sore finger or put himself to the airport and go to Nigeria to tell us what solution he has.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 8:13pm On Aug 03, 2020
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 8:27pm On Aug 03, 2020
fairheart:

Lols. grin. Your comment is riddled with bitterness and unnecessary envy.

This is the funniest comment of the day! grin grin grin

Envy at what? Being nairaland thread monitor? grin cheesy

You’re the one with the lengthy screeds my dear...

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Phenomenalopeye: 8:29pm On Aug 03, 2020
Nostradamus1:
thanks.
Lemme check again

I just tried to install it, it's say app not found but you can download it from other places.
Aside from play store.
OR
It might have been taken of.
I think.

(1) (2) (3) ... (529) (530) (531) (532) (533) (534) (535) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.