Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,098 members, 7,811,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (547) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1356711 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by NigPatriot(m): 8:52am On Aug 16, 2020
Please who can help with the current cost of TOEFL? I'm hearing different prices.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Legit215(m): 10:00am On Aug 16, 2020
How did you depart Nigeria to the USA?
I finished my registration from here only to realize my courses are online, I don't know how CBP are to people entering the USA just to do online courses. Is it safe for me to travel with my courses completely online, I already have my student visa.
My school also has available in person classes which am trying to get at least one so I can travel.
I will appreciate responses to anyone that has answers to this questions.
Deegayes:
I finally heard the words “ welcome to America “ yesterday . After the hurdles faced since the start of corona , It was like music to my ears. Guys don’t give up yet , if your dream is to study in the US then keep pushing .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 11:44am On Aug 16, 2020
Legit215:
I finished my registration from here only to realize my courses are online, I don't know how CBP are to people entering the USA just to do online courses. Is it safe for me to travel with my courses completely online, I already have my student visa.
My school also has available in person classes which am trying to get at least one so I can travel.

How are you guys getting the Student Visa?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Andyhasting: 12:34pm On Aug 16, 2020
solastar2:

How are you guys getting the Student Visa?

They probably got their visas approved for the summer class before the pandemic, or they may have gotten it last Spring and deferred to start Fall 2020.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 2:36pm On Aug 16, 2020
Legit215:
if "online" is not written on your I-20, you should be safe. Another good thing would be to request a new I-20 from your school stating your classes are in person. That way, you're cleared of any uncertainties. I don't think anyone would check what you registered just what is on your I-20.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 2:45pm On Aug 16, 2020
Andyhasting:

They probably got their visas approved for the summer class before the pandemic, or they may have gotten it last Spring and deferred to start Fall 2020.

Ok. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jona48(m): 4:22pm On Aug 16, 2020
Admitwithschola:

Seriously?

I wish I had a thread 4 times as long as this one many years ago when I was just launching out. You don't know the gold you have in hand.

Anyway, if you're a poor guy like I was years ago, then the first step to studying abroad would be to get a fairly competitive GPA. If however you're not poor, or better still if you have the financial means, then the first step would be to start searching for schools that have the course you want to study. In my experience, many schools in the UK will admit you today or tomorrow once you can cover your expenses.

But this thread is mostly US focused, hence you would normally need a GRE score plus your GPA plus letters and others to be able to study in the US. Many schools are cancelling GRE these days, but it's still a great idea to take it and 'wound' it if you're dreaming of getting a full scholarship (and this is not impossible, fellow Nigerians get full scholarships to US schools, plus the very top schools, every year).

If you're the high-achieving, ambitious type, with a very solid GPA, and you have plans to reach the end of formal education (read PhD), then I would suggest you, as I already wrote in a previous post, start befriending your lecturers, offering to work for them as a research assistant, write papers with them and get them invested in your growth and success. If all goes well, this move will get you extremely solid letters from them when the time comes. With these letters, research experience, possibly research articles, your GPA, and strong GRE, you can walk into many US PhD programs fully funded.

Ok, to make things more real, let's assume you want to do engineering, below, I give the profile of one girl who recently got into a US top 3 engineering, PhD...It will give you an idea of what to do and you can adapt to your own situation..

BSc engineering + solid GRE + 3 solid letters from naija profs + research experience with these profs + wonderful SOP + some luck= full scholarship in US top 3

So, in your case, although you didn't give much information, let's assume you have a CGPA of 4.3 in engineering and maintain this into graduation (or even increase it to like 4.4). If you get a GRE of, say, 165Q/155V/4.5, plus research experience, plus maybe some nontrivial articles and, importantly, have strong letters from 3 of your professors saying you're the next best discovery after slice bread, then it will be hard for you not to get into some very good or even top engineering departments in the US.

Anyway, I'm sure this gives a preliminary answer to your question. The bottom line is that it's indeed possible to study abroad, and on full scholarship too, if that is your target. Many Nigerians continue to achieve this every year. You too can do it. Just keep sourcing for information by taking time to read as much as you can. It's when you can't easily find something that you should ask questions. Not because threads are long.

What of someone with a GPA of 3.49 who wants to go for a social science related course for masters, what will you advice him do?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Admitwithschola: 8:36pm On Aug 16, 2020
Jona48:

What of someone with a GPA of 3.49 who wants to go for a social science related course for masters, what will you advice him do?

If you want specific advice, be very specific. Social science has like 10 courses. What did you study? Give an idea of which school? And what do you want to go and study? Which country do you like? US?

And if it's econs you're talking about, then you should state the micro and macro and econometrics courses you have taken and grades obtained. You should also list the mathematics courses you have taken and the statistics courses you have taken and the grades you obtained. If you read my long long posts above, you would see where I argue that stating the GPA may not be enough. Which modules did you do well in and which modules did you not do so well.

If it's any other social science course, all the things I said before plus your above GPA can get you into a masters. But full scholarship may be a bit harder, though not impossible. I know of someone in the sciences with like 0.03 more than your GPA. They got 80% scholarship from one US university often mentioned here. However, this person has a GRE score and research experience and good letters of recommendation. In general, the lower the GPA, the lower the chances of securing scholarships. Nonetheless 3.49 is not a bad GPA, so there is a fighting chance if other parts of the application are bam, though you may have to spend something since you may not get 100%.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Legit215(m): 9:38pm On Aug 16, 2020
Thanks for your response I appreciate.
Has anyone as well gone to the USA of recent, what kind of questions can one expect from CBP coming in during this covid 19. Do I need a COVID 19 test result before I can come to the USA.
Friedpotato:
if "online" is not written on your I-20, you should be safe. Another good thing would be to request a new I-20 from your school stating your classes are in person. That way, you're cleared of any uncertainties. I don't think anyone would check what you registered just what is on your I-20.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by phizzle20: 1:16pm On Aug 17, 2020
Admitwithschola:

Seriously?

I wish I had a thread 4 times as long as this one many years ago when I was just launching out. You don't know the gold you have in hand.

Anyway, if you're a poor guy like I was years ago, then the first step to studying abroad would be to get a fairly competitive GPA. If however you're not poor, or better still if you have the financial means, then the first step would be to start searching for schools that have the course you want to study. In my experience, many schools in the UK will admit you today or tomorrow once you can cover your expenses.

But this thread is mostly US focused, hence you would normally need a GRE score plus your GPA plus letters and others to be able to study in the US. Many schools are cancelling GRE these days, but it's still a great idea to take it and 'wound' it if you're dreaming of getting a full scholarship (and this is not impossible, fellow Nigerians get full scholarships to US schools, plus the very top schools, every year).

If you're the high-achieving, ambitious type, with a very solid GPA, and you have plans to reach the end of formal education (read PhD), then I would suggest you, as I already wrote in a previous post, start befriending your lecturers, offering to work for them as a research assistant, write papers with them and get them invested in your growth and success. If all goes well, this move will get you extremely solid letters from them when the time comes. With these letters, research experience, possibly research articles, your GPA, and strong GRE, you can walk into many US PhD programs fully funded.

Ok, to make things more real, let's assume you want to do engineering, below, I give the profile of one girl who recently got into a US top 3 engineering, PhD...It will give you an idea of what to do and you can adapt to your own situation..

BSc engineering + solid GRE + 3 solid letters from naija profs + research experience with these profs + wonderful SOP + some luck= full scholarship in US top 3

So, in your case, although you didn't give much information, let's assume you have a CGPA of 4.3 in engineering and maintain this into graduation (or even increase it to like 4.4). If you get a GRE of, say, 165Q/155V/4.5, plus research experience, plus maybe some nontrivial articles and, importantly, have strong letters from 3 of your professors saying you're the next best discovery after slice bread, then it will be hard for you not to get into some very good or even top engineering departments in the US.

Anyway, I'm sure this gives a preliminary answer to your question. The bottom line is that it's indeed possible to study abroad, and on full scholarship too, if that is your target. Many Nigerians continue to achieve this every year. You too can do it. Just keep sourcing for information by taking time to read as much as you can. It's when you can't easily find something that you should ask questions. Not because threads are long.

In addition to the above, start learning programming especially if your from STEM disciplines. There are numerous free courses and tutorials online for your use.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by b00tismacker: 5:45pm On Aug 17, 2020
what is best way to go for america, go for student visa or find woman to marry?

please advise, i so tired of naija
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Dreemerr: 6:05pm On Aug 17, 2020
Find school and apply.
b00tismacker:
what is best way to go for america, go for student visa or find woman to marry?

please advise, i so tired of naija
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by vincent7000(m): 6:14pm On Aug 17, 2020
International flights to resume August 29 ..source Minister of Aviation.( Twitter)

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 6:19pm On Aug 17, 2020
vincent7000:
International flights to resume August 29 ..source Minister of Aviation.( Twitter)

Yes, just checked the Minister's Tweet ✌�
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ehizy007: 6:23pm On Aug 17, 2020
Does that mean Embassy resumes activities automatically? Kindly share the Link.
vincent7000:

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Matinho: 6:23pm On Aug 17, 2020

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 6:34pm On Aug 17, 2020
I that's their own decision to make at the embassy themselves, let's wait and see

Ehizy007:
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ehizy007: 6:39pm On Aug 17, 2020
Well, True.
kilankoazeez:
I that's their own decision to make at the embassy themselves, let's wait and see

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by mvem(m): 6:59pm On Aug 17, 2020
Ehizy007:
not really but na positive step

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ehizy007: 7:22pm On Aug 17, 2020
Definitely!
mvem:
not really but na positive step

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by JadePrincess: 9:09pm On Aug 17, 2020
Ehizy007:
Definitely!

Fingers crossed!!! ��

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 7:41am On Aug 18, 2020
NigPatriot:
Please who can help with the current cost of TOEFL? I'm hearing different prices.
PM bro
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by hotboss: 5:34pm On Aug 18, 2020
Please. Is there anyone studying at or admitted to ARKANSAS tech university?

Please. I need to connect with you..
Thank you in advance

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Deegayes: 12:03am On Aug 19, 2020
Please don’t try it if your classes are fully online , you will be turned back at the port of entry. People were denied entry. Also avoid Air France , they will not allow F1 /J1 students to board. I and a friend who is on a J1 visa got to the airport and were not allowed to board. Currently they are still holding on to a huge dome of money from us
Legit215:

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Deegayes: 12:08am On Aug 19, 2020
Please don’t give him that advise , they have ISS representatives in schools. They had people turned back at the entry , even my friend who had an exception letter for his J1 visa was taking into another room and was questioned over 25 mins. You don’t want to risk flying for that long and get turned back. Please just do the right thing. Register for as many hybrid or in person courses as you can.
Friedpotato:

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 1:09am On Aug 19, 2020
Deegayes:
Please don’t give him that advise , they have ISS representatives in schools. They had people turned back at the entry , even my friend who had an exception letter for his J1 visa was taking into another room and was questioned over 25 mins. You don’t want to risk flying for that long and get turned back. Please just do the right thing. Register for as many hybrid or in person courses as you can.
really? Thank you for the information.

How did they know you're going for in-person classes? And what is the full meaning of the ISS, different from the DSO?. Plus is the ISS under ICE?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 1:13am On Aug 19, 2020
Deegayes:
Please don’t try it if your classes are fully online , you will be turned back at the port of entry. People were denied entry. Also avoid Air France , they will not allow F1 /J1 students to board. I and a friend who is on a J1 visa got to the airport and were not allowed to board. Currently they are still holding on to a huge dome of money from us
in my school, on the I-20 of international students. It's written that our classes would be hybrid. A student from a European country got her VISA last week and entered last week, currently she registered all her courses online. How was she able to do that? Did they check the exact courses you registered online?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Deegayes: 1:23am On Aug 19, 2020
Exactly! It’s written on your I-20 that classes are hybrid so telling someone whose classes are fully online to go because nothing is on his I-20 is very risky. It wasn’t stated on mine Cos ICE said that’s not compulsory and they have their ways of verifying. Also , if you read the information from ICE to schools, all schools whose classes are hybrid have some documentations to do with ICE so they probably already have information in their system for those schools. Also , schools have representatives from homeland security attached to international students services in schools so it’s not hard for them to know these things. Attached is a mail from the ISS advisor in my school a month ago before I traveled. P:S: PDSO means Principal Designated School Official (US Department of Homeland Security)
Friedpotato:
in my school, on the I-20 of international students. It's written that our classes would be hybrid. A student from a European country got her VISA last week and entered last week, currently she registered all her courses online. How was she able to do that? Did they check the exact courses you registered online?

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Deegayes: 1:33am On Aug 19, 2020
I have explained that in my recent response. Also , an hold will be placed on your account until you register courses , once you register it will be lifted and since the school also has some things done with ICE already, easy pissy. Someone was turned back and what they said to her was they couldn’t verify that her classes are not fully online ( she isn’t Nigerian by the way ). I also attached a mail from the PDSO’s deputy in my school and FAQs to schools from ICE.
Friedpotato:
really? Thank you for the information.

How did they know you're going for in-person classes? And what is the full meaning of the ISS, different from the DSO?. Plus is the ISS under ICE?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 7:29am On Aug 19, 2020
Deegayes:
I have explained that in my recent response. Also , an hold will be placed on your account until you register courses , once you register it will be lifted and since the school also has some things done with ICE already, easy pissy. Someone was turned back and what they said to her was they couldn’t verify that her classes are not fully online ( she isn’t Nigerian by the way ). I also attached a mail from the PDSO’s deputy in my school and FAQs to schools from ICE.
thank you very much for the information
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muleriders: 9:06am On Aug 19, 2020
hotboss:
Please. Is there anyone studying at or admitted to ARKANSAS tech university?

Please. I need to connect with you..
Thank you in advance

Hmmmm, Russellville, it's a nice school. I have been there twice. try searching on LinkedIn. You will find couple of Nigerian students there who can answer your questions

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (544) (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.