Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,185 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:36 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (548) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1356833 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 10:23am On Aug 19, 2020
Is there a better way on can receive dollars that it would yield more naira than using send wave. Send waves current exchange is $1 to #382.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Anonymous1900: 3:37pm On Aug 19, 2020
Sendwave will do $1 to N400 for anything over $50 ... think that may be the highest you will get for now without involving strangers/third parties and risking uncertainty

Friedpotato:
Is there a better way on can receive dollars that it would yield more naira than using send wave. Send waves current exchange is $1 to #382.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheNoble007(m): 5:39pm On Aug 19, 2020
Predstan:

Man I have been good. Been a while how is studies going?

Everything is fine man....
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by priscai(m): 6:56pm On Aug 19, 2020

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muleriders: 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2020
Friedpotato:

I need USD.
how much of USD do you want to exchange for naira?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kilankoazeez: 7:54pm On Aug 19, 2020
priscai:
Any Texas Tech Master's student,
Kindly PM me let's connect.

Hybeenoni

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Guruindahouse(m): 10:50pm On Aug 19, 2020
I am planning to move to USA for my PHD study next year.
My question is all about life after studies. How long and how easy is it gonna take to get green card upon my graduation in USA. I am going to come to US with my family though.

The gurus in the house, enlighten me about how life can be after PhD studies in US.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Chrystee68: 11:07pm On Aug 19, 2020
Hello house,pls is there any Missouri State University student on this thread?.reply pls let's connect if any.thanx
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by evanstical: 11:16pm On Aug 19, 2020
Ok
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Anybodie: 12:04am On Aug 20, 2020
evanstical:
How possible is this for a green card holder outside US.Anyone tried it or knew a person who got.
We need to ask benefit boys
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Soleye24(m): 12:52am On Aug 20, 2020
I had 4.06/5.00 at my ug. I am looking forward to courses like nutritional biochemistry or animal science or animal nutrition for my PhD. Any advise please?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Admitwithschola: 2:30am On Aug 20, 2020
Guruindahouse:
I am planning to move to USA for my PHD study next year.
My question is all about life after studies. How long and how easy is it gonna take to get green card upon my graduation in USA. I am going to come to US with my family though.

The gurus in the house, enlighten me about how life can be after PhD studies in US.

If you give more details about yourself, you could get sharp answers that will address your questions. Are you a man (>35 and especially >40) or you're a guy (<35)? What's your educational record and work experience like? Are you an academic in Naija? Which field are you into? And which field do you hope to do this PhD? Do you have research experience? Papers in decent places? Finally, do you have profs who are willing to write you the type of letter that I just finished writing for a student? cheesy. A letter that will make oyinbo beg you to come their country?

To your question, green card is doable. But one thing though - provided the government does not change status quo that much and if you;re self-petitioning, you would need a decent job with decent pay and a good research record. This is just one way. There are several ways/categories, and it's a good idea to do some google searches. it's all on the internet.

To summarize, it's relatively easier (not easy though) to get the green card via one of the categories if one i) has an advanced degree ii) has a nice job iii) has research papers (sometimes with citations) and iv) has the grace of God. In fact, people get US green card from outside the US. There is a colleague in South Africa who will be applying and getting the US green card there in SA. This person seeks the green card so they can enter and leave for life. Academic jobs in SA are very lucrative, at least at the professor cadre level, so this person does not plan to "ja komot" from SA, but they are open to opportunities nonetheless.

I hope this helps you. Meanwhile, if an academic institution hires you as assistant professor after your PhD, then you will get a green card. This is because many of them initiate the process of your green card application immediately you join them. In most cases, you join them with an H1b, which they obtained for you (no cap for academic people for H1B), and then they file green card for you once you are hired. The sad thing is just that academic jobs are hard to get in the US, but it becomes easier either if you i) attended a strong program or ii) do a path-breaking research which your advisor does a good job "shouting" about.

All the bestest, Sir.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Admitwithschola: 2:37am On Aug 20, 2020
Soleye24:
I had 4.06/5.00 at my ug. I am looking forward to courses like nutritional biochemistry or animal science or animal nutrition for my PhD. Any advise please?

This is good GPA, but good GPA is not enough, far from it.

Review mine and others' posts on this thread and then come back with your questions. Some of the questions being asked and asked had been answered.

So review and come back with specific questions. As I said, GPA not enough. I should also add that many schools these days say GRE is optional, but it will take a miracle for a school to reject candidate B in favor of candidate A if B and A are otherwise fully identical but B has GRE and A does not.

So, one place to start is to spend the next 6-8 months prepping fire for the GRE. Yeah, it's math and english and writing, but no it's not just math and english and writing.

This should give you an example of how to plan ahead - https://biochem.oregonstate.edu/content/admission-information. Oregon is not bad, although I admit I know very little about your field, biochem. I'm just trying to give general advice. Hopefully a biochem admissions expert will appear here and answer you

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by soprano008(m): 2:40am On Aug 20, 2020
Soleye24:

Kindly connect
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Shuayb0(m): 6:13am On Aug 20, 2020
Hello Everyone

Many thanks to all the contributors.

If you’re a student of or admitted to Lamar University. Please let’s connect.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Shuayb0(m): 6:14am On Aug 20, 2020
Admitwithschola:

This is good GPA, but good GPA is not enough, far from it.

Review mine and others' posts on this thread and then come back with your questions. Some of the questions being asked and asked had been answered.

So review and come back with specific questions. As I said, GPA not enough. I should also add that many schools these days say GRE is optional, but it will take a miracle for a school to reject candidate B in favor of candidate A if B and A are otherwise fully identical but B has GRE and A does not.

So, one place to start is to spend the next 6-8 months prepping fire for the GRE. Yeah, it's math and english and writing, but no it's not just math and english and writing.

This should give you an example of how to plan ahead - https://biochem.oregonstate.edu/content/admission-information. Oregon is not bad, although I admit I know very little about your field, biochem. I'm just trying to give general advice. Hopefully a biochem admissions expert will appear here and answer you
Sir your responses have been impressive. Can I send you a PM?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Shuayb0(m): 7:53am On Aug 20, 2020
tosin18:
Please is there anyone interested in the MBA or MIS program. Lamar University is accepting fall students without GRE or GMAT.
Boss how can I connect with you please.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Guruindahouse(m): 8:38am On Aug 20, 2020
Thank you for your detailed response sir.
I have read some of your posts here as well on this tread and I must say you are doing a great job. Can I send you a PM sir?

If you give more details about yourself, you could get sharp answers that will address your questions. Are you a man (>35 and especially >40) or you're a guy (<35)? What's your educational record and work experience like? Are you an academic in Naija? Which field are you into? And which field do you hope to do this PhD? Do you have research experience? Papers in decent places? Finally, do you have profs who are willing to write you the type of letter that I just finished writing for a student? cheesy. A letter that will make oyinbo beg you to come their country?

To your question, green card is doable. I got my first approval after like one year of grad school. But one thing though - provided the government does not change status quo that much and if you;re self-petitioning, you would need a decent job with decent pay and a good research record. This is just one way. There are several ways/categories, and I would encourage you to do some google searches. it's all on the internet.

To summarize, it's relatively easier (not easy though) to get the green card via one of the categories if one i) has an advanced degree ii) has a nice job iii) has research papers (sometimes with citations) and iv) has the grace of God. In fact, people get US green card from outside the US. I have a colleague in South Africa who will be applying and getting the US green card there in SA. This person seeks the green card so they can enter and leave for life. Academic jobs in SA are very lucrative, at least at the professor cadre level, so this person does not plan to "ja komot" from SA, but they are open to opportunities nonetheless.

I hope this helps you. Meanwhile, if an academic institution hires you as assistant professor after your PhD, then you will get a green card. This is because many of them initiate the process of your green card application immediately you join them. In most cases, you join them with an H1b, which they obtained for you (no cap for academic people for H1B), and then they file green card for you once you are hired. The sad thing is just that academic jobs are hard to get in the US, but it becomes easier either if you i) attended a strong program or ii) do a path-breaking research which your advisor does a good job "shouting" about. I don't want to give specific examples of people, so that I don't out myself. This is an anonymous site, no be so? Lol

All the bestest, Sir.[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Guruindahouse(m): 8:45am On Aug 20, 2020
I have read some of your posts here as well on this tread and I must say you are doing a great job. Can I send you a PM sir?
Admitwithschola:

To your question, green card is doable. I got my first approval after like one year of grad school. But one thing though - provided the government does not change status quo that much and if you;re self-petitioning, you would need a decent job with decent pay and a good research record. This is just one way. There are several ways/categories, and I would encourage you to do some google searches. it's all on the internet.

To summarize, it's relatively easier (not easy though) to get the green card via one of the categories if one i) has an advanced degree ii) has a nice job iii) has research papers (sometimes with citations) and iv) has the grace of God. In fact, people get US green card from outside the US. I have a colleague in South Africa who will be applying and getting the US green card there in SA. This person seeks the green card so they can enter and leave for life. Academic jobs in SA are very lucrative, at least at the professor cadre level, so this person does not plan to "ja komot" from SA, but they are open to opportunities nonetheless.

I hope this helps you. Meanwhile, if an academic institution hires you as assistant professor after your PhD, then you will get a green card. This is because many of them initiate the process of your green card application immediately you join them. In most cases, you join them with an H1b, which they obtained for you (no cap for academic people for H1B), and then they file green card for you once you are hired. The sad thing is just that academic jobs are hard to get in the US, but it becomes easier either if you i) attended a strong program or ii) do a path-breaking research which your advisor does a good job "shouting" about. I don't want to give specific examples of people, so that I don't out myself. This is an anonymous site, no be so? Lol

All the bestest, Sir.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Legit215(m): 9:18am On Aug 20, 2020
Thanks for all your responses all this is the school fault they weren't even prepared to have international students this fall that am sure of it was just this week my advisor told me all in person classes has been filled up that she's sorry. Then my DSO later replied my message I sent last week saying she has confirmed from the sevp rep for the school and I was advised not to travel at all if my courses were online.
Deegayes:
Please don’t try it if your classes are fully online , you will be turned back at the port of entry. People were denied entry. Also avoid Air France , they will not allow F1 /J1 students to board. I and a friend who is on a J1 visa got to the airport and were not allowed to board. Currently they are still holding on to a huge dome of money from us
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by PucciGuru(m): 9:55am On Aug 20, 2020
Guys please I am doing my interview outside Nigeria and their embassy just opened meanwhile my school resumption of classes is 24th August, should I still book for an interview for next week because embassy has promised to give priority next week, do you think I should or defer?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BrTune: 10:10am On Aug 20, 2020
Can you shed more light?

Are u going for ur interview outside NG with a Nigerian passport?
PucciGuru:
Guys please I am doing my interview outside Nigeria and their embassy just opened meanwhile my school resumption of classes is 24th August, should I still book for an interview for next week because embassy has promised to give priority next week, do you think I should or defer?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by PucciGuru(m): 10:25am On Aug 20, 2020
BrTune:
Can you shed more light?

Are u going for ur interview outside NG with a Nigerian passport?

I am resident in another country outside Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Soleye24(m): 12:07pm On Aug 20, 2020
soprano008:
Kindly connect
Okay, this is my wasup number 09045380650
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 12:51pm On Aug 20, 2020
PucciGuru:
collect two weeks extension letter from your school and try your luck.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by PucciGuru(m): 1:12pm On Aug 20, 2020
Friedpotato:
collect two weeks extension letter from your school and try your luck.

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Admitwithschola: 2:37pm On Aug 20, 2020
Shuayb0:
Sir your responses have been impressive. Can I send you a PM?

Yes, please PM. But it would have been nice to ask and answer questions here so that posterity can benefit.

Meanwhile, thanks for your comments. But you know, I've been into the game for many, many years, so that's expected. You too will be the same or better if you have same experience.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Admitwithschola: 2:39pm On Aug 20, 2020
Guruindahouse:

Thanks for the mention. Glad you found the comments useful.

Yes, please send PMs, although my above comment about posterity would have been better

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by kastgeraldino: 4:34pm On Aug 20, 2020
The lucky ones

PucciGuru:

I am resident in another country outside Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) ... (545) (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.