Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,501 members, 7,812,547 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:09 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (550) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1357547 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 6:25am On Aug 22, 2020
Guruindahouse:
I have been reading your comments for soemtime, I must say you are doing a great job as well sir.

Kindly help me to shed more light to these questions... How long can it take generally to get a green card in case I finish my PHD in USA? And do you know how difficult it is to get the card as a Nigerian? BTW, I am planning to move to US with my family. i will apreciate your reply sir.

If you dont mind, I can send you a PM as well because of my confidential details.

Thank you sir!

All the information you need is available online... not sure why Nigerians pretend that its some specialized knowledge known only to a sacred few.

The speed at which you get a green card after your PhD depends on you and your employer.

1. First step... finish your phd and worry less about a green card. It isn't difficult for a Nigerian at all.
2. After your phd, get your OPT, your school's office of international students should help you with this and any questions you have regarding the process.
3. Get a job, make sure your employer understands that you intend to apply for a GC. Note, the GC process (via employment) is your employers. You don't apply on your own (well unless you're going through the National Interest Waiver process - which is more challenging).
4. Once you get a job, your employer will apply for an H1B on your behalf. The H1B gives you more breathing space for 3-6 years, during which time you should be applying for your GC.
5. Your employer basically takes care of the rest. The process is divided into 2 - the I-140 and I-485 stages. The I-140 stage depends on whether you have enough experience and qualifications to apply for EB1 or EB2 (you can do EB3 but this is not really for you since you have a phd). The EB1 route is far easier but the EB2 route is also ok so long as your employer is willing to put in the effort. - it requires an intermediate Perm step by the Department of Labor.
6. Once your I-140 is approved (should take about 1 year), you're basically close to the finish line.
7, Apply for your I-485, barring any backlogs at the USCIS, this is usually a 1-year process and should be more of a formality. After this is approved, you should get your GC in the mail in a few weeks. Your family is automatically part of your application so they get GCs too. Chances are you and your family may need to sit for an interview but this is relatively simple.

8. And this is the most important part - DO NOT take public support (e.g. medicaid) or break the law, both will affect you at your I-485 stage. Do not drink and drive... a DUI automatically revokes your visa and you have to come back to Nigeria to take care of it.

Overall from start to finish, you're looking at 3 years depending on your employer.

It's an easy process... spend more time making the best of your phd and good luck.

50 Likes 19 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 7:45am On Aug 22, 2020
TheNoble007:

At the bolded, be sincere. How would you feel if someone writes that to you? It is amazing how you can conclude one's life in a snap. Take care!
Oh no, it wasn't a conclusion at all, and don't take any of these out of context; we were talking about getting a visa, and I would never make conclusion about your life because I don't know you. By saying you should not say what you don't know or haven't experienced, I was talking in the context of our discussion--applying for f1 visa outside Nigeria. Linking that with your life equal taking things personal. We were discussing about visa!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 7:51am On Aug 22, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Nobody have information to the US Embassy data so not sure how you or I or anyone can say they were refused more.

You might know some few (within your network) who were refused but until you have that inside information you cant tell how many was given versus how many were refused .

Isnt that speculation with no data/evidence

When the percentage of red is higher than green, it is enough to draw a conclusion from it. Remember I said from mid 2018 to 2019.
Whether you see it as speculation or assumption is not what I care about; what I know is it became increasingly difficult getting the visa outside Nigeria within the period mentioned above. But it is not an indicator that those who want to apply for F1 outside Nigeria should not attempt to. They should apply for the visa and see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Paragontek: 8:22am On Aug 22, 2020
TWoods:

All the information you need is available online... not sure why Nigerians pretend that its some specialized knowledge known only to a sacred few.

The speed at which you get a green card after your PhD depends on you and your employer.

1. First step... finish your phd and worry less about a green card. It isn't difficult for a Nigerian at all.
2. After your phd, get your OPT, your school's office of international students should help you with this and any questions you have regarding the process.
3. Get a job, make sure your employer understands that you intend to apply for a GC. Note, the GC process (via employment) is your employers. You don't apply on your own (well unless you're going through the National Interest Waiver process - which is more challenging).
4. Once you get a job, your employer will apply for an H1B on your behalf. The H1B gives you more breathing space for 3-6 years, during which time you should be applying for your GC.
5. Your employer basically takes care of the rest. The process is divided into 2 - the I-140 and I-485 stages. The I-140 stage depends on whether you have enough experience and qualifications to apply for EB1 or EB2 (you can do EB3 but this is not really for you since you have a phd). The EB1 route is far easier but the EB2 route is also ok so long as your employer is willing to put in the effort. - it requires an intermediate Perm step by the Department of Labor.
6. Once your I-140 is approved (should take about 1 year), you're basically close to the finish line.
7, Apply for your I-485, barring any backlogs at the USCIS, this is usually a 1-year process and should be more of a formality. After this is approved, you should get your GC in the mail in a few weeks. Your family is automatically part of your application so they get GCs too. Chances are you and your family may need to sit for an interview but this is relatively simple.

8. And this is the most important part - DO NOT take public support (e.g. medicaid) or break the law, both will affect you at your I-485 stage. Do not drink and drive... a DUI automatically revokes your visa and you have to come back to Nigeria to take care of it.

Overall from start to finish, you're looking at 3 years depending on your employer.

It's an easy process... spend more time making the best of your phd and good luck.

Does this apply to MSc candidates?

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:34am On Aug 22, 2020
fairheart:

When the percentage of red is higher than green, it is enough to draw a conclusion from it. Remember I said from mid 2018 to 2019.
Whether you see it as speculation or assumption is not what I care about; what I know is it became increasingly difficult getting the visa outside Nigeria within the period mentioned above. But it is not an indicator that those who want to apply for F1 outside Nigeria should not attempt to. They should apply for the visa and see how it goes.

Truly you don't work in the embassy to be able to draw any conclusion ......

but if you feel your hearsay of a small network compare to the thousands of people who troop daily to the embassy OUTSIDE AND INSIDE NIGERIA is a true representation then go for it .

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 8:38am On Aug 22, 2020
LagosismyHome:

Truly you don't work in the embassy to be able to draw any conclusion ......

but if you feel your hearsay of a small network compare to the thousands of people who troop daily to the embassy OUTSIDE AND INSIDE NIGERIA is a true representation then go for it .
However you choose to see things, you're right and I am okay with that. So no need spending more time on this!

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by blueboy27: 2:18pm On Aug 22, 2020
Deegayes:
Your contact

Telegram @blueboy2727
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by blueboy27: 2:22pm On Aug 22, 2020
Skymoore1004:
Is this rate still available?

Yes
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Admitwithschola: 4:10pm On Aug 22, 2020
Paragontek:

Yes, the route, as clearly spelled out by TWoods, is friendly to all - PhD holder, MSc holder even BSc holder friendly. This is the employer-sponsored route and relies on the willingness of the employer to sponsor you. So, it applies to MSc and even BSc, provided employers are willing to sponsor. More information is excessively available online.

Once you're PhD and have research pubs and citations, then you are open to this employer-sponsored category plus other categories. In this case, you can basically shenk your employer's help and go your own. This self-petitioning is not everybody-friendly - the employer route is relatively more everybody-friendly - but it's doable.

If it's possible, it's not a bad idea to produce and publish research papers whilst doing a PhD; it helps to gather citations too. When you're finished, you have much much more options as far as green card applications go. If employer is being tricky and only wants to hold you on H1B, you can simply shenk them and go your own. I remember a story where I think one eastern european guy was promised "oh, once we hire you on H1B, we shall begin your green card application.". Well, after they hired this guy on H1b, they told him that, "see, we will only initiate your green card application after you've achieved so so so and so". What!, the guy screamed. He suddenly became someone at the mercy of the employer. Being able to file yourself is a big plus.

MSc holders, in addition to having the employer file for them, can also file for the green card on their own. There are success stories too, but not as many as the positive outcomes for PhD holders that have the other things as I stated above. Finally, as TWoods noted, nationality is important. Fortunately, Naija people do not face the backlog wahala that Indians and Chinese face. This is why it could take anywhere from 1 - 3 years for a naijan to get green card.

Before Trump wahala, even naija/ghana/zimbabwe etc lecturers, who're based in their native countries, could, if they wanted, file for a US green and do all the processing in the countries they're based, provided they are prolific researchers, have a PhD and have good lawyers to prepare wondrous applications for them. On this path too, there are several success stories, although this route is different and you do what they call 'consular application' instead of the I140 that US based people do.

Finally, please note that predicting green card possibility as a reason to embark on an MSc/PhD program, whilst a good idea, has its own risk, like any other thing in life. If status quo shifts and policies change when already in the program, regrets may result. I just wanted to say this. The green card used to be much easier before, but now, they ask many more people than before to attend interviews. Although interviews are largely a formality for people without any skeletons, any gben or suspicion during these interviews can spoil things.

Good luck to all green card hopefuls. Maybe we can revert back to deliberating and debating graduate admissions and scholarships

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Legit215(m): 5:28pm On Aug 22, 2020
Yeah I did, till the online program problem came up if not my flight was supposed to be today.
How are things over there?
fairheart:

Dang! I thought you have left. What is happening? Why didn't you explore the option of flying from Togo or Ghana?

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 6:41pm On Aug 22, 2020
Legit215:
Yeah I did, till the online program problem came up if not my flight was supposed to be today.
How are things over there?
I am sorry to hear that. So what is the new plan?
I believe with time, everything will be alright.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TheNoble007(m): 6:51pm On Aug 22, 2020
fairheart:

Oh no, it wasn't a conclusion at all, and don't take any of these out of context; we were talking about getting a visa, and I would never make conclusion about your life because I don't know you. By saying you should not say what you don't know or haven't experienced, I was talking in the context of our discussion--applying for f1 visa outside Nigeria. Linking that with your life equal taking things personal. We were discussing about visa!

No offense taken. I can't take things personal when I do not care about the opinion of people who know me, let alone a faceless forum like this!. I hardly quote people, albeit you speak like an authority who knows all things pertaining the aforementioned. What did not work for a handful of people out there, works for many...

Permit me to let you know this. There are many factors that belie the approval of F1 visas regardless of the residency of the applicant, whether in the home country or not. Factors like genuineness, proof of funds, and so on can lead to the denial of visas and not just residency as you may say.

In addition, some countries do not have strong ties with the United States, hence betrays the good intention of the applicant. So this is just for a few. Yet, can someone in these countries with a valid residency get an F1 visa? Yes. Provided he/she meets up the other requirements.

Again, temporary residency varies by countries. Some are stronger than the other. I expect you to know this. Some temporary residency puts the applicant on the same level with the citizens of that country in terms of visa applications. A student with a long stay schegen visa can work part time in the country of that permit, travel to 26 countries in Europe without ado or fuss, without query or authorisation from school as in the case of F1 here. Is this possible in China for example, NO. My friend got his F1 visa approved without stress, even with a mug of coffee given to him in the US Embassy in Berlin as many others too. This is the same 2019 you claim. This may not be possible in Ghana or Togo.

I am done on this topic....

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by fairheart(m): 7:13pm On Aug 22, 2020
Yet, I'd say it again in the same friendly tone the last comment was crafted. You said it's amazing how I made a conclusion about one's life in a snap. That's why I said you shouldn't take any of it personally because the subject was never about life or making a conclusion about you or anybody. If you have been reading my comments on this thread you'd have noticed I am very careful in the way I address people and terms I use in my comments. I was actually surprised you used that term. But it's okay.

Nobody has talked like the all-knowing or authority here; everything everyone on this thread has shared is opinions, views, and from personal experiences. That is how every comment should be taken if we are fair in the way we read people we don't agree with. Opinions! Nobody has monopoly on information, and I never said I do. Your saying I talk like an authority who knows all things is a reflection of your view of my comments, and never because I said so. And that too is your opinion. Everyone has opinions about things, and it is why it is called a public forum. A simple thing and una start to drag am and using terms out of context. Given your analysis below, we are saying the same thing. You are right and nobody is disputing it.

TheNoble007:

No offense taken. I can't take things personal when I do not care about the opinion of people who know me, let alone a faceless forum like this!. I hardly quote people, albeit you speak like an authority who knows all things pertaining the aforementioned. What did not work for a handful of people out there, works for many...

Permit me to let you know this. There are many factors that belie the approval of F1 visas regardless of the residency of the applicant, whether in the home country or not. Factors like genuineness, proof of funds, and so on can lead to the denial of visas and not just residency as you may say.

In addition, some countries do not have strong ties with the United States, hence betrays the good intention of the applicant. So this is just for a few. Yet, can someone in these countries with a valid residency get an F1 visa? Yes. Provided he/she meets up the other requirements.

Again, temporary residency varies by countries. Some are stronger than the other. I expect you to know this. Some temporary residency puts the applicant on the same level with the citizens of that country in terms of visa applications. A student with a long stay schegen visa can work part time in the country of that permit, travel to 26 countries in Europe without ado or fuss, without query or authorisation from school as in the case of F1 here. Is this possible in China for example, NO. My friend got his F1 visa approved without stress, even with a mug of coffee given to him in the US Embassy in Berlin as many others too. This is the same 2019 you claim. This may not be possible in Ghana or Togo.

I am done on this topic....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 10:52pm On Aug 22, 2020
Paragontek:

It applies to anyone.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Legit215(m): 1:02pm On Aug 23, 2020
Will be waiting for spring.
fairheart:

I am sorry to hear that. So what is the new plan?
I believe with time, everything will be alright.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by eniolabsc: 3:01pm On Aug 23, 2020
Hi everyone

I was admitted for my graduate studies in the U.S for Fall 2020. I have paid the SEVIS fee, gotten my I20, filled the DS160 form and also paid for visa.

Because of the visa restrictions in Nigeria, I deferred to Spring 2021. I have also gotten the new I20 for Spring 2021. I need advice on how to proceed this time. Do I need to fill the DS160 form again and apply for a visa? I read online that SEVIS fee is valid for a year, same with visa fee.

I would be grateful if someone could make this process clearer! Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by OBYNOWEST12(m): 4:01pm On Aug 23, 2020
Hello Guys , I want to ask a question.

How much will it cost to move a corpse from US to Nigeria..
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by SoccerUSA(m): 4:22pm On Aug 23, 2020
OBYNOWEST12:

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:11pm On Aug 23, 2020
OBYNOWEST12:

It might be a bit tricky with Covid but check with some funeral homes for the current process and price in the specific city in the US. They would know

This price might have gone up or down. In 2012 when used it cost $10,000 from Houston to Lagos. The flight was about $5,500 but there are other mandatory associated cost which takes it to 10k.

Wrong thread to post this as this is student visa
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Timitex85: 5:33pm On Aug 23, 2020
Hi everyone,

I nees your input on this .

I got admitted earlier this year with no funding(I submitted my admission material s late )..so, I got a mail from graduate coordinator advising me to defer my admission till next year so
That I would be consider for funding next year..my question is does that necessarily mean my admission would be coming with full ride next year?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mechatronika(m): 6:19pm On Aug 23, 2020
Timitex85:
Hi everyone,

I got admitted earlier this year with no funding(I submitted my admission material s late )..so, I got a mail from graduate coordinator advising me to defer my admission till next year so
That I would be consider for funding next year..my question is does that necessarily mean my admission would be coming with full ride next year?

Ask that guy again, your GC. He's in best position to answer that question.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Admitwithschola: 7:49pm On Aug 23, 2020
Timitex85:
Hi everyone,

@Timitex
I think the prof is pretty clear. Consideration means consideration. It does not mean certainty. The prof did not say you're deferring your funding. He says you will be considered for funding This means you will enter the pool of competition for funding next year (which you didn't this year because your packet came in late). If you outperform that pool, you will get funding. If you don't, well, anything can still happen. They "may" still give you funding. But note the professor has not promised that you will be getting full or any funding.

That said, in your shoes, I will arm myself and apply to other schools this year - to protect against any risk of not getting any funding from this prof's school.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Admitwithschola: 7:50pm On Aug 23, 2020
Mechatronika:

Ask that guy again, your GC. He's in best position to answer that question.

This is also correct @Timitex.

I will like to hear what the prof's response will be. It will be interesting for me to be proven wrong...So come back with his response.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Friedpotato: 8:57pm On Aug 23, 2020
Timitex85:
Hi everyone,

it simply means you'd be considered for funding with the next applicant pool. It doesn't guarantee anything but at least next pool, you'd be considered for GC unlike this pool. Best you'd do is try to do something this period pertaining to his department or anything that would enhance your competitiveness. Also try and apply to other schools too.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by OBYNOWEST12(m): 11:23pm On Aug 23, 2020
Sorry. Thanks alot

LagosismyHome:

It might be a bit tricky with Covid but check with some funeral homes for the current process and price in the specific city in the US. They would know

This price might have gone up or down. In 2012 when used it cost $10,000 from Houston to Lagos. The flight was about $5,500 but there are other mandatory associated cost which takes it to 10k.

Wrong thread to post this as this is student visa

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by TWoods(m): 10:50am On Aug 24, 2020
Timitex85:
Hi everyone,

No.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by eniolabsc: 1:28pm On Aug 24, 2020
eniolabsc:
Hi everyone

I was admitted for my graduate studies in the U.S for Fall 2020. I have paid the SEVIS fee, gotten my I20, filled the DS160 form and also paid for visa.

Because of the visa restrictions in Nigeria, I deferred to Spring 2021. I have also gotten the new I20 for Spring 2021. I need advice on how to proceed this time. Do I need to fill the DS160 form again and apply for a visa? I read online that SEVIS fee is valid for a year, same with visa fee.

I would be grateful if someone could make this process clearer! Thanks in anticipation.

I would be grateful if someone could help me with this. Thanks in anticipation
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:41pm On Aug 24, 2020
eniolabsc:
Hi everyone

I doubt if anyone knows.... the embassy is still closed. It when they open we would get clearer direction of what happens to people that falls within this category
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by eniolabsc: 1:42pm On Aug 24, 2020
LagosismyHome:

I doubt if anyone knows.... the embassy is still closed. It when they open we would get clearer direction of what happens to people that falls within this category

Thank you very much.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Jubrilawest: 11:56pm On Aug 24, 2020
Good evening to the elders in the house. I am finding it difficult to register for the GRE with my GTB naira MasterCard. Can anyone suggest how to go about it? I am looking to write the exam in September 1 or 2. Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Admitwithschola: 1:09am On Aug 25, 2020
Well done to all....

A couple of people have reached out to discuss recommendation letters for PhD. Much as I'd like to write - and I actually enjoy doing this and bigging up deserving students - I can't!

To write the kinds of breathtaking letters that land a student into a serious doctoral program, the writer needs to know the student in an academic setting. For example, as the student's former or current professor/lecturer, research project supervisor, or research boss at a place where candidate does serious research work, either as an RA (research assistant) to some PhD level researcher (preferably a serious researcher) or as full time RA to a group of researchers at a research think thank or consultancy, etc. PhD researchers are always preferable for doctoral recommendation letters.

So I encourage you to reach out to one of these people.

I'm happy to provide comments on letters if your recommenders choose to get a second opinion. But it isn't feasible for me to write such, I can only do that for my RAs and those connected to me via academics. I've like up to 15 letters to provide for this admissions cycle, already completed 8, no be small work. Each is about 4-6 pages, raving and raving and raving about the students and their uniqueness.

In February 2021, I shall be posting an update of where these students obtained positive outcomes and accepted scholarship positions.

Let me reiterate, once again, that letters are very important, and the credibility of the writer can be a big plus too. Thankfully, this is something applicants have power over, because you can choose someone who will write you the bestest letters. And if they do it well, you will swim in offers. A good letter goes beyond "this student is good and well behaved' and actually tries to provide arguments about why a student's average GPA is not reflective of their innate abilities or why a student's extraordinary research potentials are not reflected in the C they got in computational dynamics, etc.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) (553) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.