Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:23 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 - Travel (679) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (1359984 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (676) (677) (678) (679) (680) (681) (682) ... (779) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by HisEminence(m): 12:42pm On Nov 15, 2020
Chai, things dey happen oo

Ifesinachi22:
Intellectual pursuits in our Contraption is like none other - we sink deeper by the day

Below are examples of what some students (undergrad and PG) have to go through in Nigerian universities. Did you experience any of these?

COPIED Compiled by the one and only Eketi Edima Ette!!

On Project/Master's Thesis Defence in Nigerian Federal Universities - A thread:

"We had to pay hotel bills for the members of the panel. You could also offer sex, if your supervisor is the devil's apprentice. Transport money inclusive."
- Erdoo N.

"I decided I'd never have anything else to do with Nigerian universities, the day I saw people defending their masters dissertation presenting coolers of rice, garden eggs and crates of drinks to their supervisors. I legit thought someone was getting married."
- Bibian U.

"We we're told we'd pay 60k each, for both entertainment and logistics of external supervisor."
-Chiamaka O.

"We spent the night prior to my mother's defense at the University of Ilorin, cooking coolers of rice with assorted meat for the lecturers."
- Omekagu.

We fed the whole department.
Paid a prior fee of 2k.
Still gave supervisor gift. This same supervisor then came on one of my Facebook posts to say how I'm too opinionated to get married. I blocked him for my peace of mind. I don't have strength."
- Sylvia E.

"My husband was so frustrated by his Uniuyo supervisor for this, that he abandoned his MBA and finally got it from a UK university without any sort of bribery."
- Uche N.

"In ESUT, students have to buy brand new suits for their supervisors."
- Udeh O.

"Envelopes filled with money. Hotel bills. Payment to the school. External supervisor's fee. The mental stress.
Ah! The only reason I'm still doing it is because I've come too far to stop. After Master's, I'll never do anything school in this country again. Never!"
- Bello A.

"Some departments will even provide you with a menu and list of people you'll feed on the day of your thesis defense.
I nearly wept for my friend, when one non-teaching staff started dragging her because meat had finished."
- Esther A.

"Ordinary B.Sc project I defended, mh supervisor collected a bag of rice. On the defense day, we went to an eatery and bought food and drinks for all the supervisors in the hall."
- Harrison P.

"The money I spent on my supervisor was enough to buy a piece of land in GRA.

-A bottle of special nonalcoholic wine and MTN airtime worth 1.5k for "consultation" before he approved my topic.
-Two months DSTV premium subscription...

-N5000 for every chapter I took to him for vetting. Except Chapter 4 - he made me pay 20k for it because, "all my project students knows I do it better."

-The day of defence, we(a group of about 15 students) paid 2k each for food and transport fare."
-Odichi R.

"We paid 40k each for 'refreshment' and 'honorarium' during internal defence. We are also going to replicate that amount, if not more, during external the defence."
- Ịhụnanya A.

"For BSc project defense we contributed money to feed the supervisors."
-Oreva E.

"My project topic was originally on aquatic snails.

My supervisor said I should bring some snails to his house, not even the aquatic snails that I was supposed to be working on. I bought half a bag of land snails for him.

A week later, he changed my topic to Catfish and demanded that I buy some catfish and and bring them to his house for inspection. I had to do it. I wish he'd asked for rice and drinks, like my colleagues were asked. If have spent less money."
- Ruth D.

"The best thing I ever did for my life and mental health was to abandon my Master's program halfway. My blood pressure was always high. They killed my zeal to study and do research. Nigerian universities? God forbid!"
- Ene P.

"I abandoned my Master's program because my supervisor wanted to have sex with me. I told him I'm a married woman. He said and I quote, "That's even better! I like them married. If anything happens, we'll both keep our mouths shut." No one listened to my report.
- Annie U.

“And Postgraduate students do multiple defenses - proposal, internal and faculty defense, then the very almighty external defense. Multiple seminars too

And refreshment is served in ALL

Aswear, MSc in Nigeria was the most challenging thing I've done in my life so far”
Seriously? Hmm

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by bayocanny: 12:43pm On Nov 15, 2020
Cocao:

I did three days ago
Hi good afternoon, I was the one that sent you a mail early last week, kindly check your inbox.
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by HisEminence(m): 12:48pm On Nov 15, 2020
Dudun007:
Happy Sunday guys,
Those that had their F1 visa approved in Nov 6, has any one of you been able to pick up your stamped passport?

I am worried oo, my flight time is close

I had my interview done in Abuja on the 9th of Nov, no info yet as regards my passport. I haven't booked flight yet in case there's delay.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by GboyegaD(m): 1:23pm On Nov 15, 2020
solihp:

Congrats

About Royal Maroc, I read a lot of bad reviews about them but I used them when I was coming to the US cheesy grin. I don't have any bad thing to say about my trip or the airline

How have you been? How is ATL?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by GboyegaD(m): 1:27pm On Nov 15, 2020
Ifesinachi22:
Intellectual pursuits in our Contraption is like none other - we sink deeper by the day

Below are examples of what some students (undergrad and PG) have to go through in Nigerian universities. Did you experience any of these?

"We had to pay hotel bills for the members of the panel. You could also offer sex, if your supervisor is the devil's apprentice. Transport money inclusive."
- Erdoo N.

"I decided I'd never have anything else to do with Nigerian universities, the day I saw people defending their masters dissertation presenting coolers of rice, garden eggs and crates of drinks to their supervisors. I legit thought someone was getting married."
- Bibian U.

"We we're told we'd pay 60k each, for both entertainment and logistics of external supervisor."
-Chiamaka O.

"We spent the night prior to my mother's defense at the University of Ilorin, cooking coolers of rice with assorted meat for the lecturers."
- Omekagu.

Paid a prior fee of 2k.
Still gave supervisor gift. This same supervisor then came on one of my Facebook posts to say how I'm too opinionated to get married. I blocked him for my peace of mind. I don't have strength."
- Sylvia E.

"My husband was so frustrated by his Uniuyo supervisor for this, that he abandoned his MBA and finally got it from a UK university without any sort of bribery."
- Uche N.

- Udeh O.

"Envelopes filled with money. Hotel bills. Payment to the school. External supervisor's fee. The mental stress.
Ah! The only reason I'm still doing it is because I've come too far to stop. After Master's, I'll never do anything school in this country again. Never!"
- Bello A.

"Some departments will even provide you with a menu and list of people you'll feed on the day of your thesis defense.
I nearly wept for my friend, when one non-teaching staff started dragging her because meat had finished."
- Esther A.

"Ordinary B.Sc project I defended, mh supervisor collected a bag of rice. On the defense day, we went to an eatery and bought food and drinks for all the supervisors in the hall."
- Harrison P.

-A bottle of special nonalcoholic wine and MTN airtime worth 1.5k for "consultation" before he approved my topic.

-N5000 for every chapter I took to him for vetting. Except Chapter 4 - he made me pay 20k for it because, "all my project students knows I do it better."

-The day of defence, we(a group of about 15 students) paid 2k each for food and transport fare."
-Odichi R.

"We paid 40k each for 'refreshment' and 'honorarium' during internal defence. We are also going to replicate that amount, if not more, during external the defence."
- Ịhụnanya A.

-Oreva E.

My supervisor said I should bring some snails to his house, not even the aquatic snails that I was supposed to be working on. I bought half a bag of land snails for him.

A week later, he changed my topic to Catfish and demanded that I buy some catfish and and bring them to his house for inspection. I had to do it. I wish he'd asked for rice and drinks, like my colleagues were asked. If have spent less money."
- Ruth D.

"The best thing I ever did for my life and mental health was to abandon my Master's program halfway. My blood pressure was always high. They killed my zeal to study and do research. Nigerian universities? God forbid!"
- Ene P.

"I abandoned my Master's program because my supervisor wanted to have sex with me. I told him I'm a married woman. He said and I quote, "That's even better! I like them married. If anything happens, we'll both keep our mouths shut." No one listened to my report.
- Annie U.

“And Postgraduate students do multiple defenses - proposal, internal and faculty defense, then the very almighty external defense. Multiple seminars too

Aswear, MSc in Nigeria was the most challenging thing I've done in my life so far”
Seriously? Hmm

Let me add mine, I couldn't imagine greeting every lecturer in the department because I wanted a graduate degree. My experience during my undergraduate days taught me I had no business left in a Nigerian university after my BSc.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tarantino1: 1:32pm On Nov 15, 2020
tarantino1:
Good evening all.

My program starts on the 3rd of March. Does this mean I can't apply for an emergency date till 2nd January, that's 60 days prior?

Someone please help me answer this
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tarantino1: 1:44pm On Nov 15, 2020
Ifesinachi22:

- Erdoo N.

- Bibian U.

-Chiamaka O.

- Omekagu.

Paid a prior fee of 2k.
- Sylvia E.

- Uche N.

- Udeh O.

- Bello A.

- Esther A.

- Harrison P.

-Odichi R.

- Ịhụnanya A.

-Oreva E.

- Ruth D.

- Ene P.

- Annie U.

Seriously? Hmm

For Bsc

We paid money to the course adviser for course registration - something that was meant. Some people paid N1,500, N4000, fuelled her car etc.

Course adviser asked us to bring 1K each to record our scores for a particular course.

My supervisor was a nice man. He frustrate me small sha but generally he was very good. But I knew people who wo months to defence had not been given topics cos they didn't present the right settlements.

A 500lt space for students from at least 6 departments to receive lectures together. Two departments from my faculty had over 400 students.

These are the ones that came to head right now
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solastar2: 1:55pm On Nov 15, 2020
HisEminence:

I had my interview done in Abuja on the 9th of Nov, no info yet as regards my passport. I haven't booked flight yet in case there's delay.

Check the status of your visa.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 15, 2020
Please @ omotolani, was it yesterday that you paid and got the receipt, Please your kind response is needed as I also want to pay my SEVIS fee

Omololaeni:

My sevis fee was paid through Walspring you can contact him for yours to. All Thanks to Walspring he paid it for me within an hour.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lete: 2:53pm On Nov 15, 2020
This people should release dates ooooo Wetin Dey happen Na, time is going ooooo......today is 15th already! GOD HELP YOUR CHILDREN!

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ftos: 2:57pm On Nov 15, 2020
Lete:
This people should release dates ooooo Wetin Dey happen Na, time is going ooooo......today is 15th already! GOD HELP YOUR CHILDREN!

Have you requested for an emergency?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lete: 3:14pm On Nov 15, 2020
Ftos:

Have you requested for an emergency?

Yes, was denied! So just waiting patiently now.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Dgreatestt: 3:38pm On Nov 15, 2020
Dudun007:
Happy Sunday guys,
Those that had their F1 visa approved in Nov 6, has any one of you been able to pick up your stamped passport?

I am worried oo, my flight time is close

Picked mine 4days later. Have you tried to track it on their website?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by beeclassic(m): 4:16pm On Nov 15, 2020
grin thank you

solihp:

Congrats

About Royal Maroc, I read a lot of bad reviews about them but I used them when I was coming to the US cheesy grin. I don't have any bad thing to say about my trip or the airline
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by BrTune: 4:18pm On Nov 15, 2020
Was anyone here able to get an F2 visa since the lockdown?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by sugah: 4:33pm On Nov 15, 2020
Quick question guys, is the car park still functioning? And entrance still from Ahmadu bello way?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Dudun007: 4:34pm On Nov 15, 2020
Dgreatestt:

Picked mine 4days later. Have you tried to track it on their website?

I checked my Visa status, it says
Administrative processing..

Who has experienced this in the past, how long did it take to become approved
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Mosminic(m): 4:40pm On Nov 15, 2020
Dudun007:

Just calm down, when it's ready you'll receive your pick up mail. Calm down! Many people from the 6th Nov batch haven't gotten. Don't stress yourself. You've passed the stressful stage already grin

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tobypills(m): 4:53pm On Nov 15, 2020
Phori:
when u applied, where you within 60 days of your program resumption as stated on the i-20?. is it in lagos or abj. thanks

I applied 81 days to my resumption of classes as stated on my i20

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by tobypills(m): 4:53pm On Nov 15, 2020
caneberry:

Please what are the other documents you uploaded?

Admission letter and offer letter
Phori:
how do you define "other documents" bro

Admission letter and offer letter

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Babatill2023: 4:58pm On Nov 15, 2020
BrTune:
Was anyone here able to get an F2 visa since the lockdown?
Someone did on Friday and dropped a transcript.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lifeisforliving: 5:01pm On Nov 15, 2020
Dudun007:

Did you submit your bank statement
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ftos: 5:07pm On Nov 15, 2020
Lete:

Yes, was denied! So just waiting patiently now.

Were you within 60 daysto the start of your program when you requested for an emergency? Also, have you submitted your DS160 within 3 days before you requested for an emergency?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muleriders: 5:15pm On Nov 15, 2020
Pjomo:

Forget all those fake visa transcript you read about no GRE, you know how many fake transcripts i wrote myself about no GRE?. I am even going to write one tomorrow that the embassy was opened because of me alone and my visa was approved . On a serious note, I have been an advocate of “take GRE test” even if your school doesn’t need it. All those lazy id!ots just want to abscond to USA without putting an effort. They will come here and end up been a dish washer at a mexican restaurant. Please don’t support that.

Pjomo:
Appointment was 7am

Me: Goodmorning
VO: why USA
Me: Answered
VO: Why NCAT
VO: what research
Me: Answered But seems she wasn’t impressed, (VO cuts in)
VO: Are you married
VO: I’m sorry you are not qualified bla bla bla, and she gave me a white paper

As I was going out of the building past the security men, the CGI guy came to call me back
CGI: (running fast) Mr Pjomo Mr Pjomo, the VO is calling you
Me: calling me?. She just denied me. I replied
CGI: yeah she told me to call you back
Me: Look, I’m not here to beg for visa, if US doesn’t grant me, another country will
CGI: we are sorry sir, just obey her call
Me: Okay. (I obliged)

Back to the main building
Same VO: I was only joking with you , I just wanna see your reaction
Me: I thought as much as my answers were amazing and I spoke audibly
VO: (utter the sweet words) I will be approving your visa. Pick it up on bla bla and proceed to pay the reciprocity fee.

It can only be God. Thanks to fairheart, julsbaby, slimmy2005, lagosismyhome, imperiouxxx., walspring, justwise, holuwadarey ftos. You guys are the best! I owe you alot

It has been figured out guys. It was a fake transcript like he promised earlier.

Trolls like this shouldn't be taken serious on this thread. Goodluck to all intending applicants

12 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Tevext: 5:23pm On Nov 15, 2020
Please I need an advice. I'm new here.. I graduated with a CGPA of 3.56. in Accounting education. I need an advice maybe I can do management course as my MSC program in US. University
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Lete: 5:28pm On Nov 15, 2020
Ftos:

Were you within 60 daysto the start of your program when you requested for an emergency? Also, have you submitted your DS160 within 3 days before you requested for an emergency?

I applied for emergency some hours after filling my DS-160.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Muleriders: 5:29pm On Nov 15, 2020
Tevext:
Please I need an advice. I'm new here.. I graduated with a CGPA of 3.56. in Accounting education. I need an advice maybe I can do management course as my MSC program in US. University

With 3.56/5, you are good to go for graduate admission and also stand a chance for some funding if you have a good complete profile.

As an accounting education graduate, you can do any management course at masters level and the good news is that you won't be needing any undergraduate pre-requisite since your UG courses must have covered accounting, economics, statistics and finance

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 15, 2020
Please what's the latest appointment date? Can I still meet up with an MSc start date of Spring 2021 at The City University of New York?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by solihp(f): 5:40pm On Nov 15, 2020
GboyegaD:

How have you been? How is ATL?

Hello grin. I have been good, thanks. ATL is great
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by KushCollectible: 5:43pm On Nov 15, 2020
Hi guys I need your advice.

If I were to reschedule for another appointment and make changes to my new DS-160 I.e. saying I'm employed now while I mentioned I wasnt employed in the former ds-160, would that affect my interview in any way?

P.S. I am a freelancer, but didn't mention that previously.

C.C. Lagosismyhome, zeelady
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 by Ftos: 5:54pm On Nov 15, 2020
Lete:

I applied for emergency some hours after filling my DS-160.

We're you within 60 days to the start of your program when you requested for DS160?
I think it takes 3 days after submission of DS160 and 3 days after sevis fee payment for it can reflect on there system.

(1) (2) (3) ... (676) (677) (678) (679) (680) (681) (682) ... (779)

Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 10 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedure? / Cost Of A Nigeria International Passport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.