Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,070 members, 7,821,675 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? (8593 Views)

What's d Best And Profitable Businesses To Start In 2013, Earn Income In Nigeria / Can Anybody Tell Me What Is The Best And Worst Paying Jobs In Nigeria. / Which Water Dispenser Is The Best And Where Can I Buy It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by freelance(m): 11:27am On May 08, 2007
Which stock has been your best and worst stock ever on the Nigerian Stock Exchange and you could also include some underperforming stocks you have or have bought in the past.

Godspeed!!!
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by pep(f): 4:05pm On May 08, 2007
ok freelance, coming to the best stock so far, I think zenith bank shares have really appreciated to a reasonable price in that the people that bought both the IPO's and the PO's are reallly in a big profit now. I'm sure they ar just starting as the stock will still rise more than that. Also NAHCO is a good one now,as the appreciation is also very encouraging. You can also see wat is happening to some of the low priced banks lik fidelity, firstinland, wema, sterline, skye etc. these are the reigning stocks in the market as the contribute to more than half the market capitalisation. coming to the worst stocks, I'm sure many people will be regreting the huge amount of money they invested in Transcorp shares. I was among the people that sold it to some of my clients but then, such is life when it comes to the capital market. there is always losses and gains so one has to take watwver comes out of it.
But You never can tell, transcorp may still turn out to be a good one indeed after all they have chaged their former GMD and some members of the mgt. lets watch out.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by DisGuy: 4:10pm On May 08, 2007
Dangote Sugar wink
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by dollyp1cute(f): 4:24pm On May 08, 2007
Worst Stock = Transcorp (but who knows dry bones may live again)
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by hbrednic: 4:34pm On May 09, 2007
my best is DSR and worst is union bank.i bought union over a year and half, but 've not receiced the share cert uptill now.
well i wll be going home this june,will use the opportunity to visit their registra.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by abocana: 2:41am On May 17, 2007
My best stock,nigeria breweries, i bought 500 untis in 1993 and it now 18,500untis,dangote,benue cement and my worst share
   scoa,grommac,Niyamco,Alumaco,baico and some others.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by Tmoni(m): 9:20pm On May 18, 2007
my best stock is GTB, i just started with as little as 1,000 units when they had this offer at N5.30 and today with the just declared 1 for 4, i will proudly own 100,000 units cheesy,

my worst stock ever ever ever is CONOIL, i so much hate the company and stock, dividend, i do not recieve, capital appreciation is nowhere in the offing,
na wah for this "guru" enterprise ooo.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by barge(m): 11:13pm On May 18, 2007
i have a no of winners at the moment but the best of all considering timeframe and returns is Fidelity. AND am still adding to my position.As per

losers ,Cadbury was a fingerburner,but i cut my losses and RAN. My other loser is Trancorp and perrenial laggard is Dunlop. My idea is to watch my

losers for a period of time and setting a loss limit or non -performance time limit.

@TMONI,
i envy you cos Gtb is a must have in any portfolio.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by BIGBOYLARY(m): 11:27pm On May 18, 2007
@freelance,

To all there is nothing like good stocks or best stocks thats the way stock markets works it comes up and goes down even the much praised stocks of today can fall yakata 2morrow,what we have to look into is the ability to sell at the rite time and to buy at the lowest time note the best is not good enough for anystocks, !!!!!!!!!! cool cool
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by Loads: 10:04am On May 19, 2007
Best Stock ever is Costain I bought it at about 0.99K less than 7 months ago and its presently N21. My worst stock is Oando from when I bought it 3 yrs ago during their IPO for N97 its always been in red apart from the first 2 week after listing.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by frankiriri(m): 6:38pm On May 31, 2007
BIGBOYLARY:

@freelance,

To all there is nothing like good stocks or best stocks thats the way stock markets works it comes up and goes down even the much praised stocks of today can fall yakata 2morrow,what we have to look into is the ability to sell at the rite time and to buy at the lowest time note the best is not good enough for anystocks, !!!!!!!!!! cool cool
word
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by easimoni(m): 7:00pm On May 31, 2007
Best buy ever was Japaul at 90k, sold it four months later at N3. Two months later, it is almost at N6 angry. Had a similar experience with WAPCO last year but it took much longer to appreciate.

Worst stock ever was AP. Bought it and 2 weeks later, NNPC announced AP had an N11B debt. Could not even find buyers. Only the second time I ever sold at a loss (1st time was when I took my broker's advice)
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by dejia(m): 8:23pm On Jun 02, 2007
My best so far has been Oceanic, i bought it when it was 3.40k, its about N20 now,
Worst ever Transcorp i bought alot hoping that it was going to skyrocket.
The shares i mostly regret not buying was Zenith when it had its public offer at 16;90, most of my friends told me it was over priced. I wish i didnt listen to them.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by frankiriri(m): 10:32pm On Jun 02, 2007
I can only talk in terms of the stock on which I have made the best and the worst return.
My best return so far was on Intercontinental. I made over 200% return (bought at 6 and sold at N16.92 after collecting dividend and bonus).
My worst return was on platinum (Bought at N2.60 and sold at N3.42 after collecting the dividend). What they later rose to no concern me
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by Hala(m): 12:44am On Jun 03, 2007
my stocks have been doing well except spring bank which i bought at 1.50k. I hope they wake up from their slumber.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by SMC(f): 5:22am On Jun 03, 2007
Best for me is definitely First Bank. Bought at over 18 Naira in 2003 and sold at 67 Naira early May year. Although now the shares dropped to about 30 Naira when they issued bonus shares.

My Naija shares have out-performed ALL my UK or Australian shares without a shadow of a doubt.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by walexy(m): 8:14am On Jun 03, 2007
My best stock is that of Intercontinental bank and my worst is that of Linkage Assurance
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by ckenneths(m): 9:22am On Jun 03, 2007
Tmoni:

my best stock is GTB, i just started with as little as 1,000 units when they had this offer at N5.30 and today with the just declared 1 for 4, i will proudly own 100,000 units cheesy,

I am still battling with my calculator to reconcile, this massive rise from 1000 units to 100,000 units or is this an error?
anyway i take pride in my oceanic +300% and still raging to go and i grieve for my cadbury, -120% and still dropping.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by denex: 1:52pm On Jun 03, 2007
@Tmoni
even if you ploughed back all your dividends, including the 1 for 3 bonus, it wouldn't amount to 100,000 by the way, 100,000 shares or N100,000? Either way, the 1 for every 3 bonus would not get you 100,000 whether naira or shares. It must be a typographical error.
But all the same, my best stock was GTB bought at N7.00 and sold after the 1 for 3 bonus became tradeable. I sold at about N17.00. The reason I sold was because they underwent an expensive total rebranding process without permission from majority of shareholders.

@loads
valuable lesson learnt there. Very low cost stocks with prospects and good management will multiply your assets. High end shares of large corporations and conglomerates should be avoided. Eg all oil companies, nestle, guinness, you know the rest. They remain almost constant gaining N2 today, losing it tomorrow, staying unchanged the day after.

And finally, thou shalt cast away any fast rising stock after it has risen a while. Do not buy any fast rising stock. Remember first bank of last year? Instead of dumping when the stock got to N50, some people kept buying. Some even came in to buy at above N60 only for it to plummet to about N30.

Anyway, my worst stock is WEMA Bank. Na God go judge them.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by denex: 1:59pm On Jun 03, 2007
@Tmoni
even if you ploughed back all your dividends, including the 1 for 3 bonus, it wouldn't amount to 100,000 by the way, 100,000 shares or N100,000? Either way, the 1 for every 3 bonus would not get you 100,000 whether naira or shares. It must be a typographical error.
But all the same, my best stock was GTB bought at N7.00 and sold after the 1 for 3 bonus became tradeable. I sold at about N17.00. The reason I sold was because they underwent an expensive total rebranding process without permission from majority of shareholders.

@loads
valuable lesson learnt there. Very low cost stocks with prospects and good management will multiply your assets. High end shares of large corporations and conglomerates should be avoided. Eg all oil companies, nestle, guinness, you know the rest. They remain almost constant gaining N2 today, losing it tomorrow, staying unchanged the day after.

And finally, thou shalt cast away any fast rising stock after it has risen a while. Do not buy any fast rising stock. Remember first bank of last year? Instead of dumping when the stock got to N50, some people kept buying. Some even came in to buy at above N60 only for it to plummet to about N30.

Anyway, my worst stock is WEMA Bank. Na God go judge them.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by idealsico(m): 2:09pm On Jun 03, 2007
Most of my stocks are doing well:Zenith,Gtb,Oceanic,Intercontinental.Nigerian Breweries neither moves up or down.One is average:union bank.I have not even got my Union Bank 2006 dividend warrant as I write.My worse stock is Oando,losses all the way.

Is anybody in the house got information concerning 2006 Union Bank dividend warrant?
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by idealsico(m): 2:11pm On Jun 03, 2007
Most of my stocks are doing well:Zenith,Gtb,Oceanic,Intercontinental.Nigerian Breweries neither moves up or down.One is average:Union Bank.I have not even got my Union Bank 2006 dividend warrant as I write.My worse stock is Oando,losses all the way.

Has anybody in the house got information concerning 2006 Union Bank dividend warrant?
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by igbonla(m): 4:03pm On Jun 03, 2007
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by JJay1(m): 5:07pm On Jun 03, 2007
Bouht Union Bank at N20,its now almost N40, bought IBTC at N4.30 its now N11 and still boiund to go higher after the technical suspension, but the best for me has been FCMB, bought 150000 units at N4 and its now almost 400% higher, there are still more to come from the Stock Exchange. I reckon the banks shares will top N100 in a year
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by dj4wealth: 4:26am On Jun 04, 2007
I'm counting my blessing on GTB, UBA & Zenith. I bought them relatively cheap now, they are skyscraper. Elephant don enter market again!!! I joined the League hoping for the best.

Worst stocks? NEVER!!! Cos i'm not ready to follow all the media hype about stocks.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by akpos4uall(m): 2:42pm On Jun 04, 2007
Sorry to post this under this topic. I will like to know much about this so called stocks for I know little or nothing about it. Hence I will like to know much about it, that is how it works can someone buy and sell anytime of his choice?
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by IfeanyiO(m): 5:23pm On Jun 04, 2007
just a binginner in d stock business.
i bought oceanicbank share @ 16.50 this year and jet to recieve my certificate.
God knows when.
KNOW WORST STOCK YET.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by mikkyjay(m): 8:46pm On Jun 04, 2007
my worst stork is nigerian breweries i bought for 79 naira in 2004 and now after almost 3years it is 37naira cry
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by otokx(m): 10:46pm On Jun 04, 2007
@mikkyjay

sorry o; that was a real dive.
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by ferugio(m): 11:51pm On Jun 04, 2007
My best stock is UBA but didn't buy a lot cause it was high at the time of purchase. grin grin

My worst stock and worst nightmare to date is TRANSCORP because I bought quite a large quantity hoping to shed some later in the game but that strategy didn't work. Now I am stuck with a White Elephant. Well still hoping that an elephant might fly one day! angry
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by alanbolo(m): 12:21pm On Jun 05, 2007
@ mikkyjay, check with your broker, I believed there is a split of 1 for 2 sometimes ago. Was in the same situation and was informed that my shares doubled, same as NBC
Re: Your Best And Worst Stocks Ever? by 1006: 11:06pm On Jun 05, 2007
Zenith shares have made me happy grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

$46.7b Foreign Reserves Keep Naira Stable / Nigeria Leads In African Start-up Funding With $94.9m / Dangote Cement Emerges First Stock To Hit ₦‎10 Trillion Capitalisation On NGX

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.