Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,077 members, 7,828,794 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Maize Farmers Only - Agriculture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farmers Only (27415 Views)

Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers / Home For Snail Farmers Only. / Home For Just Maize Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Farmers Only by abolaji62(m): 4:57pm On Sep 05, 2019
Abro perishable and vegetable fruit sellers..can help you sell all your vegetables and perishables you have in farm Address:shop14 mile12 International Market Tel:08164853900 or e-mail:horlamide62@gmail.com
Re: Maize Farmers Only by damoceile: 8:47am On Sep 08, 2019
ifedola28:

Cost breakdown per acre in Ewekoro local government in Ogun state
Clearing - 12k Burning- 5k Ploughing - 8k Planting - 2k Manure - ? Fertilizer - ? Chemical spraying - 2500 Fertilizer application - 3k Herbicides - ? Seeds - ?
thanks madam
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Idemujoseph: 5:27pm On Sep 18, 2019
Good evening house!
Please can I still plant maize in November/December with irrigation plan?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 18, 2019
Idemujoseph:
Good evening house!
Please can I still plant maize in November/December with irrigation plan?

Why not? With irrigation, you can farm all year round comfortably
Re: Maize Farmers Only by meemeee: 9:39pm On Sep 18, 2019
Good to know

ifedola28:

Re: Maize Farmers Only by jackomagnus(m): 2:44pm On Sep 21, 2019
Chiansky:
Let me drop my own, I just started my maize farm like last 3 weeks,

first I used manure hand planter to plant almost 2hr of land, the remaining part of the land will be done with hand

Please could you ping me on Whatsapp?
I have some enquiries.
Thanks
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Idemujoseph: 4:07pm On Sep 21, 2019
ifedola28:

Thanks so much
Re: Maize Farmers Only by alekuwodo(m): 10:06pm On Sep 21, 2019
What's the current price of a ton of dried maize.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by shariff84: 10:28pm On Sep 21, 2019
[quote author=alekuwodo post=82447341]What's the current price of a ton of dried maize.[/quote ] new maize is 60k pick up while old maize is 90k per ton .
Re: Maize Farmers Only by MDDarah84(m): 7:53am On Sep 22, 2019
Gentlemen and ladies,

We have a maize sheller that can be moved to your farm gate to shell your maize.

We charge a peanut.
Location is Ibadan
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Liadi2(m): 3:50pm On Sep 22, 2019
I have NPK fertilizer for sale at ibadan Omi-Adio

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Botanistbbb: 8:36pm On Sep 22, 2019
pls.....what is the weight of a bag of dry maize
Re: Maize Farmers Only by shariff84: 11:17pm On Sep 22, 2019
Botanistbbb:
pls.....what is the weight of a bag of dry maize
85-100kg depend on how the bag was full.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by jeswinner: 6:17am On Sep 23, 2019
Inspectahdeck:

You are right about the post shelling and preservation if the farmer is a novice on that.

Dry maize is stressful and profitable from my experience, far profitable than fresh maize. Once the spacing is right, usage of hybrid seeds and Cubs are good the outcome will be fantastic.

In farming I understand one has to leave room for pest. Antelopes invaded my farm last week and I addressed the issue and also took meat home grin

Hybrid seed matures after 75 days of planting, harvesting at the right time will reduce waste. Picture of my last harvest below I got 10 of that truck and sold at 90 naira/kg. I made millions something I will never get selling fresh.

Maize farmers in the north are making a killing selling dry maize.

I wish I can show a video of my present 20 hectares of maize

Did you sell the dry maize as a whole or you had to shell it?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 9:43am On Sep 23, 2019
jeswinner:

You have to shell it to increase it's marketability
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Inspectahdeck(m): 7:09am On Sep 24, 2019
jeswinner:

I shell and even crush but on demand.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by vonxe: 11:13pm On Oct 23, 2019
ifedola28:

Go for hybrid seeds that are drought resistant. You can check seeds like premier, seedco, piooner. Go through their catalog to decide which suits the season

Have you tried pioneer and seedco seeds? If yes, how was it in terms of its yield?
Premier seeds is a NO NO for me.

People are saying DUPONT from pioneer is the best that with good agronomic practices you can achieve 12 tons spacing 25×75
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 7:29am On Oct 24, 2019
vonxe:

Have you tried pioneer and seedco seeds? If yes, how was it in terms of its yield?

People are saying DUPONT from pioneer is the best that with good agronomic practices you can achieve 12 tons spacing 25×75

No, I haven't tried seedco and pioneer seeds but there is a guy on nairaland that has tried pioneer seeds. You can search for his thread
Re: Maize Farmers Only by shariff84: 2:19pm On Oct 24, 2019
vonxe:

iam the guy on nairaland that planted pioneer seed this year,trufully you cant get 12 tons with pioneer seed,that one is potential yeild.we are more than 10 in our group but no one ever get more than 6.5tons per hectare,that's the bitter true. And our planting space is 25X75,some last year even get only 3 tons per hectare.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by paito: 11:45pm On Oct 24, 2019
shariff84:
iam the guy on nairaland that planted pioneer seed this year,trufully you cant get 12 tons with pioneer seed,that one is potential yeild.we are more than 10 in our group but no one ever get more than 6.5tons per hectare,that's the bitter true. And our planting space is 25X75,some last year even get only 3 tons per hectare.

I am not blaming you for not achieving 12 tons because initially it was 3 tons but by the grace of God you are in 6.5 but if you get another opportunity,what are those things you will try to do differently sir like Toyota said keep on improving sir

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Jfat4david(m): 2:12am On Oct 25, 2019
Inspectahdeck:

The best way to make profit is to dry the maize. Fresh maize sales at the farm gate is not profitable. A 50 kg bag goes for 3,000-12,000 depending on the period.

Also, to make profit with dry maize 1. The spacing of the maize on the farm is important 2. Quality of seed used 3. The soil 4. If you have a very good soil you may not add fertiliser. 5. Storage facilities after harvest.

Dry maize are used by companies, pap makers, livestock farmers, etc. Therefore, the is market for same when sold at the right time.

Storage is a very big problem... hopefully we can discuss about it.

I have shelled maize and I'm ready to sell it.
Over 5tonnes

Watsapp on 08130567441
Re: Maize Farmers Only by vonxe: 10:04am On Nov 14, 2019
ifedola28:
My Experience

I cultivated Oba super 6 from Premier seeds on the two farms. I noticed that the seeds were so tiny compared to what is sold in the open market. But for a first time maize farmer, the joy of cultivating hybrid seeds was unspeakable.

As I mentioned earlier, those with manure grew better and the cobs were okay but there wasn't really anything spectacular about the size of the cobs when I compared the sizes with that of a nearby local farmer who cultivated seeds bought from the open market. In fact, some of his maize plants were carrying 3 - 4 cobs at the same time.

I was forced to ask him of the type of hybrid maize seeds he planted. He just laughed and said, ' No be hybrid be dis'

I have come across two to three maize farmers who used premier seeds at first and vowed to use open market seeds in the subsequent plant season.

This got me wondering.

What if I purchase open market maize seeds, treat the seeds to avoid loss before germination, apply fertilzers the same way I will do to an hybrid seeds. 'WILL I GET A BETTER YIELD'

Mind you, most of the maize seeds you find in our open markets are imported from Benin republic. It's possible their variety of maize seeds isn't hybrid but open pollinated. Their yield is impressive

No fresh maize buyer will pay you more for cultivating hybrid seeds. They will only pay more depending on the sizes of your maize cobs.

At the end of the day, you find a modern farmer who has spent a lot of money to procure HYBRID seeds selling at the same price with a local farmers that bought his seeds cheaply from the open market. That is obviously a loss to the modern farmer

I am not against farmers using hybrid maize seeds, but do we have other hybrid maize seeds in the market apart from premier seeds? I am not impressed by the yield gotten from premier seeds.

Pls drop your opinions. Thanks

Is it the ogadep maize?
I have only seen it in ogun state
To be sincere, that maize is amazing with very big cobs.
I asked an agric officer about it he said the maize is an opv and it cant be planted with high population. Although nobody has tried it.
2 kg goes for 800 naira.
It is almost thesame with size with the pioneer maize shown below. If 12.2 kg of pioneer maize goes for 37k and 12kg of ogadep goes for 4500 and it is almost thesame cob size, is that not a mystery?!

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by jackomagnus(m): 7:22pm On Nov 16, 2019
[quote author=Chiansky post=80665266][/quote]
Re: Maize Farmers Only by morningglory: 9:34am On Nov 17, 2019
I need sweet corn seed for an acre. What is the cost?

I never planted it before, just want to try with an acre.

Thanks.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by jackomagnus(m): 7:30pm On Nov 24, 2019
Hello, please did you plant the maize yourself?

Jfat4david:

I have shelled maize and I'm ready to sell it.
Over 5tonnes

Watsapp on 08130567441
Re: Maize Farmers Only by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 6:41am On Nov 29, 2019
We fabricate dryer for matured & cured maize also for other grains ,Ginger, garlic etc...08120528950

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Begins Onions Cultivation (Photos) / Latest Prices Of Day Old Broilers, Pullets,turkeys & Cockerels. / We Can Supply Groundnut In Large Quantity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.