Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,950 members, 7,828,337 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Maize Farmers Only - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farmers Only (27410 Views)

Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers / Home For Snail Farmers Only. / Home For Just Maize Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 11:55pm On Jul 26, 2019
stagger:

I think you have a serious problem with comprehension. We are not talking about how much he will make. We are talking about him getting compensation. I have also asked you to show how you arrived at a compensation demand of N50,000: you are yet to do so. The reason is because you simply do not have an idea. You just threw up a figure without knowing how compensation figures are arrived at. In case you do not know how compensation laws work, I think you should read more or consult a lawyer to educate you on the matter.

I am not here to argue about what he can and cannot make as that is not even the issue: something you seem to have a problem understanding.

I say this very seriously as herdsmen are causing rampage all over the country, destroying farms, killing and kidnapping farmers, etc. Many people here will suffer losses as a result. Without a knowledge of how they can seek compensation after engaging the law enforcement agents, how do they recoup their investments?

This is not a personality contest so please stop skating the topic of compensation and address the issue squarely.

Thank you sir. After farming na abeg I go take go house. U must pay, if you free them they will go and destroy others and start begging again.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 12:04am On Jul 27, 2019
Godpride:
I have boa super 4 someone just introduced me to plant, I have also secure 4 plot of land to plant maize and vegetables (tete). My questions is; on herbicide how will I apply it on my intercrop planting without affecting what I plant. Which of the herbicide should I go for?
Must I apply fertilizers on my farm?
How many bags of fertilizer will I buy for 4 plots of land?
How much is.the current price of a bag of fertilizer?
Is it advisable to plant my vegetables and maize separately or togetherly because of application of herbicides to control pest in vegetables.
What do you guys mean by open pollinated?
How will.I.measure 25cm by 75cm when planting my maize
Hope it is not too late to plant maize and vegetables as you are aware I reside in southwest?

Thank.you for your response

More to.come oo

I don't even know why people inter crop
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 12:10am On Jul 27, 2019
I run an open group chat on telegram on maize, I'm teaching the little I know, you can come and join us and share your ideas too.

Search for @maizefarmers on telegram and join us.

maizefarmers

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 9:18am On Jul 27, 2019
Godpride:
I have boa super 4 someone just introduced me to plant, I have also secure 4 plot of land to plant maize and vegetables (tete). My questions is; on herbicide how will I apply it on my intercrop planting without affecting what I plant. Which of the herbicide should I go for?
Is it advisable to plant my vegetables and maize separately or togetherly because of application of herbicides to control pest in vegetables.
Hope it is not too late to plant maize and vegetables as you are aware I reside in southwest?

More to.come oo

You don't necessarily have to add fertilizer, if you can lay your hands on poultry Manure, you are good to go

A bag of NPK:15:15:15 goes for 8500 - 10,000
A bag of UREA goes for 6000 - 8000

All depending of where you are buying from

For 4 plots of land, you can make do with a bag of fertilizer, it should remain sef depending on the population of your plants

For the spacing, you can use a tape to measure the first row and first column, then you align the remaining spacing with the first ones you have measured

As regards herbicides, someone mentioned nicogold as a selective herbicide for maize. You can give it a try

The weather in your area will determine if you can still plant

My opinion though
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Godpride: 8:38pm On Jul 27, 2019
Chiansky:
I run an open group chat on telegram on maize, I'm teaching the little I know, you can come and join us and share your ideas too.

Search for @maizefarmers on telegram and join us.

Okay bro..

Yes I have joined the group
maizefarmers
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Godpride: 8:45pm On Jul 27, 2019
[quote author=ifedola28 post=80671966][/quote]

Okay ma thank you so much really grateful
Re: Maize Farmers Only by OluchiDelly: 9:21pm On Jul 27, 2019
Godpride:

More to.come oo
4 plots is small for maize if u want to go commercial. Are u tilling ur land manually or u just want to spray herbicides n plant without tilling?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Godpride: 12:37am On Jul 29, 2019
Tilling and spraying
Re: Maize Farmers Only by OluchiDelly: 8:07pm On Jul 29, 2019
Godpride:
Tilling and spraying
Its better u plant ur corn on 3 plots n plant d green vegetable on 1 plot. There is good market for green veg at Sekona market. It's better to sell @ nite prior to d market day. Go n do d nite survey of d market and get use to d veg location n watch how they sell.
Since u are new, u can learn d rope wt d 3 plots, then early next year, try to look for one or two tractorable acres of land within ede-sekona-ogi. There are lots of tractorable land in that axis. U can get tractor from secretariats at osogbo, ede, Sekona.
You spend less when u farm maize in acres. To plough an acre(6 plots) using tractor is just 5k. Whereas to clear a plot manually d avg cost is 3k. Then tilling 3k min. Total is 6k min. 6k by your 4 plots, u wl spend nothing less than 24k for land preparation alone. Then weeding n fertilizer/ manure cost, If care is not taken, u may not be able to recoup ur expenses from that 3 or 4 plots of maize.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 5:31am On Jul 30, 2019
OluchiDelly:

Its better u plant ur corn on 3 plots n plant d green vegetable on 1 plot. There is good market for green veg at Sekona market. It's better to sell @ nite prior to d market day. Go n do d nite survey of d market and get use to d veg location n watch how they sell.
Since u are new, u can learn d rope wt d 3 plots, then early next year, try to look for one or two tractorable acres of land within ede-sekona-ogi. There are lots of tractorable land in that axis. U can get tractor from secretariats at osogbo, ede, Sekona.
You spend less when u farm maize in acres. To plough an acre(6 plots) using tractor is just 5k. Whereas to clear a plot manually d avg cost is 3k. Then tilling 3k min. Total is 6k min. 6k by your 4 plots, u wl spend nothing less than 24k for land preparation alone. Then weeding n fertilizer/ manure cost, If care is not taken, u may not be able to recoup ur expenses from that 3 or 4 plots of maize.

This is quite detailed. Thanks
Re: Maize Farmers Only by MDDarah84(m): 10:25pm On Jul 30, 2019
Cocoboms:

I think it's still fluctuating around 75k per tonne. You need to state your exact location for people to help you with bulk buyers.

I am in Ibadan please
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 6:44pm On Aug 18, 2019
Pls who has an idea of how many cobes of maize will full a 18 seater bus.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 9:59pm On Aug 18, 2019
Chiansky:
Pls who has an idea of how many cobes of maize will full a 18 seater bus.

You can arrange the cobs in sacks first before loading into a bus
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 10:30pm On Aug 18, 2019
ifedola28:

They are coming to buy it in bus
Re: Maize Farmers Only by officialfestus(m): 12:25pm On Aug 20, 2019
Re: Maize Farmers Only by damoceile: 4:52pm On Aug 31, 2019
ifedola28:

I'm looking at starting a maize farm come next year, how much would be enough to start up on a small scale (like 2 acres for instance)... and will I be able to produce commercially with the 2 acres of land??
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 31, 2019
damoceile:

I'm looking at starting a maize farm come next year, how much would be enough to start up on a small scale (like 2 acres for instance)... and will I be able to produce commercially with the 2 acres of land??

2 acres is okay for a start and startup cost depends on your location
Re: Maize Farmers Only by damoceile: 9:30pm On Aug 31, 2019
ifedola28:

2 acres is okay for a start and startup cost depends on your location

I'm based in Ibadan, I would like to know how much it will cost me to start up...
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Liadi2(m): 3:07am On Sep 01, 2019
damoceile:

I'm based in Ibadan, I would like to know how much it will cost me to start up...
Please what is the maximum and minimum expectations from 2acres assuming it was well managed.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 5:58am On Sep 01, 2019
damoceile:

You will have to ask for the cost of clearing
Cost of packing out debris
Cost of ploughing
Cost of planting
Insecticides
Herbicides etc
Re: Maize Farmers Only by paito: 10:28am On Sep 01, 2019
2acres commercial
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 11:09am On Sep 01, 2019
paito:
2acres commercial

For a beginner, I think it's fair. He can scale up after a season of practical experience
Re: Maize Farmers Only by damoceile: 4:18pm On Sep 01, 2019
Liadi2:

Please what is the maximum and minimum expectations from 2acres assuming it was well managed.

I'm a newbie too, I think the question can be better ansad by Mrs Ifedola
Re: Maize Farmers Only by damoceile: 10:16am On Sep 03, 2019
ifedola28:

You will have to ask for the cost of clearing
Cost of packing out debris
Cost of ploughing
Cost of planting
Insecticides
Herbicides etc

thanks ma'am, pls do you know any maize farmer in Ibadan that u could refer me to ma'am??
Re: Maize Farmers Only by affiliatexpert(m): 11:08am On Sep 03, 2019
I have some questions please

Can I still plant maize this month, like before month end?

I need tractor for work on 1 hectare in Owo, Ondo State, any link?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 03, 2019
damoceile:

thanks ma'am, pls do you know any maize farmer in Ibadan that u could refer me to ma'am??

Not at all
Re: Maize Farmers Only by damoceile: 8:36pm On Sep 03, 2019
ifedola28:

Not at all

sorry for the disturbance tho... pls could u give me a rough estimate to work on going by what it cost to set up urs at your location...
Re: Maize Farmers Only by AbundantGrains: 7:04am On Sep 04, 2019
ifedola28:

Thanks for your input sir, as I stated earlier, opinions and experiences are welcomed. I appreciate your contribution sir and I am very sure the info you have provided will go a long way. This is like a debate, debate about experiences, in a debate, no one is right and no one is wrong. Our opinions varies. One thing I always do when I am faced with two options and don't know which is better is to try the two and compare

For those in support of fresh maize having a higher profitability than dried maize, you can try selling dried maize and compare

For those in support of dried maize having a higher profitability than fresh maize, you can also give fresh maize a chance and then compare

In life, one must all be willing to learn and improve. One can't afford to stick to just one idea or methodology if one must succeed

As regards premier hybrid seeds, I have a lot to say about it. Please stay tuned and your contributions are highly appreciated
is their seed sweet corn or dent corn
Re: Maize Farmers Only by kripen(m): 12:27pm On Sep 04, 2019
Pls great farmers is there any particular maize type I can plant this 1st week of September I. e late planting
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 6:42am On Sep 05, 2019
affiliatexpert:
I have some questions please

Can I still plant maize this month, like before month end?

I need tractor for work on 1 hectare in Owo, Ondo State, any link?

You can still plant maize, but go for hybrid seeds that are drought resistant

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 6:44am On Sep 05, 2019
kripen:
Pls great farmers is there any particular maize type I can plant this 1st week of September I. e late planting

Go for hybrid seeds that are drought resistant. You can check seeds like premier, seedco, piooner. Go through their catalog to decide which suits the season
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 6:56am On Sep 05, 2019
damoceile:

sorry for the disturbance tho... pls could u give me a rough estimate to work on going by what it cost to set up urs at your location...

Cost breakdown per acre in Ewekoro local government in Ogun state

Clearing - 12k
Burning- 5k
Ploughing - 8k
Planting - 2k
Manure - ?
Fertilizer - ?
Chemical spraying - 2500
Fertilizer application - 3k
Herbicides - ?
Seeds - ?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Akwa Ibom Begins Onions Cultivation (Photos) / Latest Prices Of Day Old Broilers, Pullets,turkeys & Cockerels. / We Can Supply Groundnut In Large Quantity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.