Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,358 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

Maize Farmers Only - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farmers Only (27148 Views)

Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers / Home For Snail Farmers Only. / Home For Just Maize Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 8:31am On Jun 19, 2019
Chiansky:

Did u add fertilizer to it? I mean the oba super 6

I used manure for some portion of the farm. My point isn't about using fertilzer or not. If you use the same fertilzer for maize seeds purchased from the open market, will there be any substantial differences between hybrids and open market maize seed yield?

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 8:40am On Jun 19, 2019
PESTS AND DISEASES OF MAIZE

There are several pests and diseases that affects maize. I will be focusing on a commonly known pest known as ARMYWORMS

Pests are unwanted animals that attack the vegetative and non vegetative parts of a plant. They feed and live on the plant. Most pests complete a particular phase of their lifecycle on the plant

Disease is caused by a physiological alteration in a living thing. Changes in the physiology of a living thing
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 8:45am On Jun 19, 2019
ARMYWORMS

Armyworm is simply a large population of caterpillars. Presently, there is no effective way of controlling them once they attack a vegetation.
As small and innocent looking they may seem, they can destroy hectares of maize farmland within a short duration. I mean total destruction. The more they feed on maize plant, the bigger they become and once your maize plants start fruiting, they migrate into the cobs and destroy every seeds within leaving the farmer with nothing to sell in most cases.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 19, 2019
MY EXPERIENCE

Like four days after planting, the seeds started germinating, it was such a lovely sight and I loved it. The young seedlings looked so bright and lovely. The next time I returned to the farm was like 2 weeks after. The seedlings had grown even taller but I noticed something on the plants. There were green substances on the leaves something that looked like vomitus to me . The beautiful green leaves I saw earlier were now looking punctured. I immediately made a call to an agric extension officer I knew.

Me: 'Sir it's like my maize plants have been attacked by a viral disease

Officer: describe your observation

Me: there are some green substances like vomitus on all my maize plants and the leaves look torn

Officer: it's not a viral disease, it's armyworm

Me: armyworm ke? What do they look like?

Officer: they are caterpillars

Me: I can't see any caterpillars on the leaves nah

Officer: check inside the newest curly leaves of the maize plants

Me: ok sir, thanks

When I did as instructed, lo and behold, I saw caterpillars in every of the maize plants I inspected

I didn't plan for this, what's the way out? I went to an agrochemical store and explained my frustration to the attendant. He recommended I use DD FORCE.

We used ddforce but I saw no improvement. Went back and he recommended sniper and one other chemical which I can't remember. We sprayed all over the farm, there seem to be little improvement.

I relaxed, not knowing that what looked like a little improvement was no improvement at all. It looked like an improvement because the maize plant had grown too big for the effect of the caterpillars to be noticed on their leaves.

I was very happy with the deep green color of my maize plants.

Fast forward to harvesting, I got the shock of a lifetime. Armyworms destroyed more than 40 percent of the output. Some cobs had no seeds at all, every seeds were already consumed by the worms. They looked well fed.

Irrespective of the loss to pests, inappropriate plant population, I still made a good amount of money from the farm. That was what made me conclude that if properly done, fresh maize can give you the desired income.

5 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 19, 2019
After the whole incident, I went around to local farmers and asked them why army works attacked my farm like that

They said the season I planted my maize collided with the same time the armyworms were also going through that particular phase of their life cycle. I planted my maize around first week of May.

I was told that those that planted earlier don't experience attacks of such magnitude

Share your experiences on armyworm attacks. How were you able to control it.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 19, 2019
ifedola28:
After the whole incident, I went around to local farmers and asked them why army works attacked my farm like that

They said the season I planted my maize collided with the same time the armyworms were also going through that particular phase of their life cycle. I planted my maize around first week of May.

I was told that those that planted earlier don't experience attacks of such magnitude

Share your experiences of armyworm attacks. How were you able to control it.

Is it every first week of May they go through such particular phase of their life cycle? Or how can one know?

I dread armyworms, but I know there are precautions for most known pests. And precaution is better than finding cure. In most cases, there is no remedy after the damage has gone far. The same way I dread whiteflies, fruitflies, aphids, thrips, and other tiny pests in vegetables. Anti viral insect nets just don't address them, except highly potent pesticides which they develop resistant easily to if the farmer is not careful, especially inside greenhouses. I have not seen any organic solution for those nasty tiny creatures. It is why organic farming emphasizes on wide planting spacing (but using such recommended spacing does not make greenhouse production profitable). So, there is a better technology to address them in covered or protected vegetable farming which is extremely better and more effective than the strongest pesticides man can ever make.

But this armyworms, I have not really looked into it well. Hopefully, someone will come up with a better solution.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Inspectahdeck(m): 11:28am On Jun 19, 2019
Pistotita:

Is it every first week of May they go through such particular phase of their life cycle? Or how can one know?

I dread armyworms, but I know there are precautions for most known pests. And precaution is better than finding cure. In most cases, there is no remedy after the damage has gone far. The same way I dread whiteflies, fruitflies, aphids, thrips, and other tiny pests in vegetables. Anti viral insect nets just don't address them, except highly potent pesticides which they develop resistant easily to if the farmer is not careful, especially inside greenhouses. I have not seen any organic solution for those nasty tiny creatures. It is why organic farming emphasizes on wide planting spacing (but using such recommended spacing does not make greenhouse production profitable). So, there is a better technology to address them in covered or protected vegetable farming which is extremely better and more effective than the strongest pesticides man can ever make.

But this armyworms, I have not really looked into it well. Hopefully, someone will come up with a better solution.

Armyworm is a pest on maize that can affect profitability of the farm invaded. Armyworm was transport to Nigeria by overzealous farmers looking for more tonnage per hectare. This pest came from America and I know a few big farmers that caused this problem on us but I will not mention any names.

@OP the reason the chemicals did not work maybe the type of chemical and application. last dry season when I used the solo seed I used emacot or Caterpillar force but the secret is to spray very early in the morning or late in the evening. During the day the pest leave the maize so if you spray during this time you are just wasting money and time. Note spray early in the morning say 6 or 7 am and late in the night say 6ish.

Then when spraying direct the nose of the sprayer into the maize not around it or on it. Note INTO the maize stand where they hide.

Below is a picture of the dead pest after applying the pesticide

Also, about workers and their management. What I do is I create a sense of responsibility and belonging in my staffs. I allow their ideas and use such idea. It makes them happy and willing to put more effort and when I don't agree with them, I explain and we argue till we conclude.

I don't monitor money so much with my manager. I give him a chance to gain some... Note not to much maybe 500 or 1000 naira per task. I also give them profit sharing after sales. I give them clothes, old phones, I know their parents, family, we drink together after work anytime I sleep over, we joke like peers etc. So they are the once doing more to Impress me it is psychology and when the staffs do not do the job well, the manager and supervisor re-do the work sometimes before I get to the farm or when I complain.

Sorry for the grammar and mistakes, I am only a farmer and on the move. I will explain better when I am settled

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 19, 2019
Inspectahdeck:

Armyworm is a pest on maize that can affect profitability of the farm invaded. Armyworm was transport to Nigeria by overzealous farmers looking for more tonnage per hectare. This pest came from America and I know a few big farmers that caused this problem on us but I will not mention any names.

@OP the reason the chemicals did not work maybe the type of chemical and application. last dry season when I used the solo seed I used emacot or Caterpillar force but the secret is to spray very early in the morning or late in the evening. During the day the pest leave the maize so if you spray during this time you are just wasting money and time. Note spray early in the morning say 6 or 7 am and late in the night say 6ish.

Then when spraying direct the nose of the sprayer into the maize not around it or on it. Note INTO the maize stand where they hide.

I am more concerned with organic sprays all around Nigeria now, even those on nairaland. DI this, GI that, Organic pro thi, Extra booster that from India, China, and Thailand, etc. Because our people are experts in exporting from these regions.

In addition, I get really scared with how seedlings are entering Nigeria from East Africa, especially from Kenya and Uganda. Some people are experts in smuggling seedlings without proper check. I just pray we do not import bio weapons into our nation through this means. It is the reason I am very careful with linking people up with importing seedlings, seeds, and soil. It is just too risky. Until I am sure who you are, what you really are inside and outside. Even modern agricultural nets are made from new technologies. Not that I do not want to give the info, but Christ! I do not know you. If you cannot trust me with some series of importation so I know you well, you get absolutely nothing from me. That's me. My hands are always washed cleaned from zealous people. I climbed the ladder you want to gradually too. And people told me to relax too because of our nation, and the kind of people around. If I tell you to relax, and you feel my method is too rigid, I will leave you alone, and cut ties (not telling the person that he or she is a dullard, but there are other issues. Nigeria is a nation one must be sure who one is dealing with). It is very simple. I will not recommend anyone who will make my contacts cut tie with me. You know that some experts can really test ones temperament. They can be annoying, but they know what they are doing. They want to know how well you can handle tasks ahead. At times, one will want to assist some people, that is when they feel they have arrived, and start exhibiting some funny traits. lol.

I am always relaxed. And I allow anyone I am consulting to do his or her thing well. I might even see mistakes ahead, but will be silent as long as I know the mistake will not injure me too much. But all I am after is acceptance if I know the person is good in what he does. As soon as the person accepts me and we talk normally, I can start making different suggestions that I know are more efficient. But not that I am consulting you for the first time, and I tell you that this is how I do my things, and we must do it my way cos I am sponsoring it. Like seriously?

I reckon with you sir.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jun 19, 2019
Inspectahdeck:

Also, about workers and their management. What I do is I create a sense of responsibility and belonging in my staffs. I allow their ideas and use such idea. It makes them happy and willing to put more effort and when I don't agree with them, I explain and we argue till we conclude.

I don't monitor money so much with my manager. I give him a chance to gain some... Note not to much maybe 500 or 1000 naira per task. I also give them profit sharing after sales. I give them clothes, old phones, I know their parents, family, we drink together after work anytime I sleep over, we joke like peers etc. So they are the once doing more to Impress me it is psychology and when the staffs do not do the job well, the manager and supervisor re-do the work sometimes before I get to the farm or when I complain.

Sorry for the grammar and mistakes, I am only a farmer and on the move. I will explain better when I am settled

You are right about spraying very early in the morning sir. I got to know that later.

I was told armyworms attacks when rainfall is high within a year. Out of all the farms in the farm estate where I cultivated my maize, mine was the only one battered by armyworms. The other farmers planted theirs earlier.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by abdullkabar(m): 5:24pm On Jun 19, 2019
Dried maize on 5+ acres of farmland almost ready to be sold, interested buyers should contact me on abdullbashirub@gmail.com
07065510732 call & whatsapp
Link to thread
https://www.nairaland.com/4976775/maize-buyers-farm-needed-farm
Re: Maize Farmers Only by U1(m): 6:00pm On Jun 19, 2019
ifedola28:

You are right about spraying very early in the morning sir. I got to know that later.

I was told armyworms attacks when rainfall is high within a year. Out of all the farms in the farm estate where I cultivated my maize, mine was the only one battered by armyworms. The other farmers planted theirs earlier.

Please where do you have your farm? I mean the particular farm estate.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 19, 2019
U1:

Please where do you have your farm? I mean the particular farm estate.

Wasinmi, in Ogun State

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by OluchiDelly: 6:14pm On Jun 19, 2019
Inspectahdeck:

I think Caterpillar force is in powdery or grain form, How much is caterpillar force /emacot sire?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 8:00pm On Jun 19, 2019
Inspectahdeck:

I'm having the same issue on my farm now, I started spraying today, I had to stop because of the time, I want to get this thing right because I want to sell fresh, I don't mind spraying once a month till I harvest, so I will be spraying around 6-7pm daily until we cover the whole farm, we are two sha so it will be fast, someone told me about hallakat today. Will try it out
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 8:03pm On Jun 19, 2019
Inspectahdeck:

How did you mix your Caterpillar force, how many litres did use per packet.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Inspectahdeck(m): 10:24pm On Jun 19, 2019
Chiansky:

I'm having the same issue on my farm now, I started spraying today, I had to stop because of the time, I want to get this thing right because I want to sell fresh, I don't mind spraying once a month till I harvest, so I will be spraying around 6-7pm daily until we cover the whole farm, we are two sha so it will be fast, someone told me about hallakat today. Will try it out

Please spray with the intention of concluding that day. Armyworm is a funny pest, they can return to the maize already sprayed, spray directly into the maize. You can do same early in the morning.

You do not have to spray monthly, once you get it right the first time. I do not know about hallakat and never heard of it. You can also use neem - dogoyaro for those looking at organic farming.

Please always check the instructions and procedures on the pack before using any chemical that is what I do.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by ijemishkisic(m): 11:01pm On Jun 19, 2019
Personally, i dealt with armywarm very well in my farm until one woman said "na me fit them". But they dealt with me at first when i Never knew how serious they were, i got to know after a research.

I planted oba 98, Bondofa, Komsaya, champion seed and some of our local native specie in 13plots here in PH. Since they are army, i came to device the best way to deal with them using caterpilar force. They died mercilessly but after one week i saw them coming again with more damage than before. I got tired as i was then doing it all alone. I went back to caterpilar force and reapplied it again, they still came before tasseling but not much. So i prepared another six plots of land everywhere fed the maize with npk which i liquefied as it got blocked n wet. When army warm came i saw it and planed to spray the next 2 days, by the time i came, my maize were like small palm trees... Since they are army, i was fully ready to deploy both navy and airforce to wipe them out. Navy to me is using water n caterpilar force mixture and fired them as they died instantly. Few days later i deployed airforce being Rambo powder insecticide and sprinkle it in small qty on the funnel of the maize, for the ones that survived and new attacks... This i was doing every week nd my maize was smooth n fresh looking . as soon as i saw about of them tasseling, i fired urea. My neighbors farm was an eyesore due to amywarm, but she dont want to spend money.

My own story is much but CNT type all here. My first year in maize production. I thought hybrid will be bigger than our local native here. So i planted with all zest. Got a serious loss on the first plantation due to low yield in cobs. But the native comand respect by far than hybrid. I discovered that i will have to be planting native at the beginiof the year while hybrids at the other times of the year, at off season. Had i planted native initially with application of npk n urea, would have made real money as here then 3cobs were selling at N200

But now am a master now with all the experience, am championing maize revolution through creation of maize forest to ensure regular supply throughout the year.coming to a lime light soonest.

We re progressing and will get there to change the narative.

8 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 20, 2019
To start a maize farm, take the following into consideration:

1) You can lease a land for cultivation but make sure lease fee doesn't exceed 5k per acre
2) Never spend too much of any input especially seeds
3) Try as much to keep your cost price as minimum as possible
4) Prepare for pest management even before you start cultivation

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Ayodehji202: 5:55pm On Jun 20, 2019
Inspectahdeck:

I shared a picture of the spacing below. I use labour but monitor closely. I am very sure it is not more than 1 -1.5mx2m

I use premier seed oba super 1. You can check the expected yield per hectare. From experience this hybrid resist army worm attack. This is an on the field experience. I used solo yellow maize last year dry season to complete the remaining portion of my farm. The solo was attack and I had to spray pesticides but the hybrid was also attacked but when rain started the army worm disappeared. Also, the hybrid is drought resistant.

I prepare my land well then plant. After a month or so I weed manually and once the maize is up they cover the weed and limit its growth. Then I apply selective herbicide a month to harvest. I always clear any Bush at least 3-4m away from my farm to avoid antelopes etc from invading. At the other side I constructed ropes so I get to take Bush meat home.

It is difficult to spray herbicide when the maize is young, it may affect it. That is way I wait for it to grow well. Also, very important maize and broad leaves weed are the same. Using herbicide that kills the formal may also kill the latter.

You can spray herbicide glyphosate before planting. It was reviewed that the danger is minimal. As seen in the picture below.

I think your question was directed at the op but I think I shared my experience.

But sir I do use atrracine and 2 4 d together but no reaction ,one I spray it,it usually take like 3 months before another weed start showing up
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Ayodehji202: 5:58pm On Jun 20, 2019
ifedola28:
ARMYWORMS

Armyworm is simply a large population of caterpillars. Presently, there is no effective way of controlling them once they attack a vegetation.
As small and innocent looking they may seem, they can destroy hectares of maize farmland within a short duration. I mean total destruction. The more they feed on maize plant, the bigger they become and once your maize plants start fruiting, they migrate into the cobs and destroy every seeds within leaving the farmer with nothing to sell in most cases.
Caterpillar force and Sniper are quite effective in combating them

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jun 23, 2019
Farmers, how do you manage using rain to grow maize? This year rain was so late. For example, if you apply fertilizer, and rain does not fall, what do you do? During the 6th week tassels start developing and there is no rain, what do you do? Or do you have a secret to force down rain? Just curious. Cos rain isn't stable. I think only roots and tubers can tolerate long period of drought. @ifedola28 @Inspectahdeck @ijemishkisic @Chiansky @
Re: Maize Farmers Only by viktry: 3:54pm On Jun 23, 2019
Good afternoon everyone, please I intend to plant maize by the last week of July
I hope I'm not late or planting @the wrong time
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Inspectahdeck(m): 3:59pm On Jun 23, 2019
viktry:
Good afternoon everyone, please I intend to plant maize by the last week of July
I hope I'm not late or planting @the wrong time

Do not try it except you have irrigation system.

If not wait till September for dry season planting.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Inspectahdeck(m): 4:10pm On Jun 23, 2019
Pistotita:
Farmers, how do you manage using rain to grow maize? This year rain was so late. For example, if you apply fertilizer, and rain does not fall, what do you do? During the 6th week tassels start developing and there is no rain, what do you do? Or do you have a secret to force down rain? Just curious. Cos rain isn't stable. I think only roots and tubers can tolerate long period of drought. @ifedola28 @Inspectahdeck @ijemishkisic @Chiansky @

Hello,

This is where hybrid seeds with drought resistant comes to play.
We hope rain falls well this week on our farms.

Once a farmer applies fertiliser and rain does not fall, my observation is same will not work at all or be effective on the maize.

The danger is when the maize starts producing cob/fruit and it does not get water to grow to it's full capacity. The result is mostly smaller maize cobs.

Finally, in the villages they have guys that hold or make rain fall. Never used them before but my neighbour has.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2019
Inspectahdeck:

Hello,

This is where hybrid seeds with drought resistant comes to play.
We hope rain falls well this week on our farms.

Once a farmer applies fertiliser and rain does not fall, my observation is same will not work at all or be effective on the maize.

The danger is when the maize starts producing cob/fruit and it does not get water to grow to it's full capacity. The result is mostly smaller maize cobs.

Finally, in the villages they have guys that hold or make rain fall. Never used them before but my neighbour has.

Exactly my point.

I have shamed rain holders. I played "Send down the rain" by Majek Fashek one time, went inside my store, brought out my drip, and water started dripping on the roots of my plants. It was like miracle to them. Technology shamed "jazz". Everytime I thought of it, I am reminded of the trees planted by the bank of river in Psalms. Lol.

Without rain or irrigation, maize is not profitable.

Please what do you think of this: Having 10 ha near river, have a powerful water pump which can drive a rain gun that can cover 1 ha at once. Do you think it will be profitable? Fresh maize farmer: Around which period can one deploy this to get maximum profit? When is fresh maize crazily expensive?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by garux: 4:36pm On Jun 23, 2019
Nice thread for a newbie maize farmer like myself cool
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Inspectahdeck(m): 5:37pm On Jun 23, 2019
Pistotita:

Exactly my point.

I have shamed rain holders. I played "Send down the rain" by Majek Fashek one time, went inside my store, brought out my drip, and water started dripping on the roots of my plants. It was like miracle to them. Technology shamed "jazz". Everytime I thought of it, I am reminded of the trees planted by the bank of river in Psalms. Lol.

Without rain or irrigation, maize is not profitable.

Please what do you think of this: Having 10 ha near river, have a powerful water pump which can drive a rain gun that can cover 1 ha at once. Do you think it will be profitable? Fresh maize farmer: Around which period can one deploy this to get maximum profit? When is fresh maize crazily expensive?

Maize planted around a river will grow very well with little rain. The reason is the river will breathe on the maize. Also, the soil around the river is soft and moist. I have a stream at the end of my farm where I plant vegetables. My maize stand around the stream grows well with little rain. It the stream that brings antelopes and co. to my farm.

The land far from the river will need the pump. But if it isn't automated (which is expensive) you have to consider pumping machine, hose, labour (that will not do it well), theft etc. Cost and risk.

Fresh maize is expensive from around September to April. Most maize farmers that plant dry season aim for dried maize instead of fresh.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 5:41pm On Jun 23, 2019
Pistotita:

God will provide rain. There is nothing u can do than wait, I have not apply fertilizer because of no rain, so we are waiting, once rain falls u can apply and it takes two weeks for the fertilizer to dissolve, so rain most meet it. For me I just do my own and leave the rest for God and nature.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 5:48pm On Jun 23, 2019
Inspectahdeck:

Maize planted around a river will grow very well with little rain. The reason is the river will breathe on the maize. Also, the soil around the river is soft and moist. I have a stream at the end of my farm where I plant vegetables. My maize stand around the stream grows well with little rain. It the stream that brings antelopes and co. to my farm.

The land far from the river will need the pump. But if it isn't automated (which is expensive) you have to consider pumping machine, hose, labour (that will not do it well), theft etc. Cost and risk.

Fresh maize is expensive from around September to April. Most maize farmers that plant dry season aim for dried maize instead of fresh.

I'm telling u but why do dey aim for dried instead of fresh, I really want to believe its lack of information, dey believe dried maize is more expensive than fresh maize but dey are making a mistake, if u farm well and have good marketing skills u will make money from fresh maize. The only reason I have fear of fresh maize is transporting them from my farm village to Lagos or ogun or ibadan but I believe that if you can have ur market, u can harvest very early and before 10 or 11am you should deliver your goods. Harvesting from around 5am. I might be wrong sha, let our experience farms tell us how they do this. From the village I am to Lagos market is like 4-5hrs drive.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jun 23, 2019
Rainfall is steady here in Awowo/Wasinmi axis, farmers are still planting maize
Re: Maize Farmers Only by jethro2: 6:14pm On Jun 23, 2019
1. Don't plant maize in July without alternative source of water
2. Rain gun is not good for planting any crop especially vegetable. Sprinklers is preferable
Drip tape is the best
3. Plant population really matter when planting every crop to be financially profitable
An acre of maize is required to have between 30,000 plant stand.
4. Soil management is non negotiable. How nutrient rich is your soil

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 23, 2019
Chiansky:

God will provide rain. There is nothing u can do than wait, I have not apply fertilizer because of no rain, so we are waiting, once rain falls u can apply and it takes two weeks for the fertilizer to dissolve, so rain most meet it. For me I just do my own and leave the rest for God and nature.
The challenge is that if there is no rain at that particular time, yield will be low even you get rain later. Lack of rain to push down Nitrogen when really needed is why you see scanty grains on cobs. Hope you get it why we are concerned about getting rain during the period.

jethro2:

2. Rain gun is not good for planting any crop especially vegetable. Sprinklers is preferable. Drip tape is the best
100% on point.
But going on 10 ha drip is a bit hard.
Actually, I think we use terms differently. But in any case, those rain guns that don't mix water very well in the air are terrible. But anything that delivers droplets of water from garden sprinkler to mist/fog is very ok. There are rain guns in this category too, they deliver very tiny droplets of water even smaller than spray tube. Commercial mining sites use fog system that cover minimum of 1 ha to reduce dust so workers will not have respiratory issues due to dust. This type is expensive, but can be delployed. High pump rating is needed.

Inspectahdeck:

The cost is the reason I pushed the question across to maize farmers so we look at it together. My take is that if one gets it right, hmmmm! I am thinking of different ideas. Well, since commercial farming with tractors only will take me to farm again, I am looking at irrigation for big farms. I think the better option is creating artificial pools or reservoirs at different sections so that one needs minimum hose length. Of course, one needs to know exactly the cost of running it. I have been working on this for some time now.

Inspectahdeck:

But if 1 ha can get 55,000 to 65,000 population, and I believe 3 cobs of maize can be easily sold above N50 at this time (wholesale price). Moreso, there is no glute in market. Seriously, it is worth looking into. One must just employ someone who understands how to get high population, how to feed maize plants well, and how to irrigate large farms.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

6 weeks and 8 Weeks Old Local Turkeys Are For Sale in Ibadan / Pepper Farming: Can You Imagine The Extent Of Loss Due To Lack Of Storage? (Vide / Poultry Workers Bury Eggs To Steal Them (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.