Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,877 members, 7,828,122 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:39 AM

Maize Farmers Only - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farmers Only (27400 Views)

Imports, Low Prices Hurt Maize Farmers / Home For Snail Farmers Only. / Home For Just Maize Farmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Farmers Only by OluchiDelly: 8:48pm On Jul 13, 2019
Chiansky:

No body answered this?

It's only owode/atan area of Ogun that I had met some women buying stacked corn in 50kg sack. The price varies wt season.
You can research markets in ur area esp Ibadan, since Ib is closer to iseyin. If d market is favourable, just arrange a mini truck and 2 or 3boys that wl harvest n load for u. You start ur harvesting from say 1am and by 5am u set for market. Don't harvest overnight, those mrk women na winch, they wl know, and once they know, they wl not buy from u again. I did it b4 and they caught me red handed. I had to apologize that it wl never happen again. Such act can only be tolerated in Lagos/abuja mrks.
I met some women who came to buy corn in Gbogan mrk and one of them said they came from Ibadan. For them to have journey about an hour from Ib, I was wondering if there were no corn in Ib mrk.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Functionoftime(m): 11:11am On Jul 16, 2019
Fulani herdsmen destroyed my 2 plots of land where I planted maize. I have reported to the nearest civil defence and they ask me to give an approximate amount of what was destroyed. I don't know what to tell them because this is my first time of planting maize. Please help me out
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jul 16, 2019
Functionoftime:
Fulani herdsmen destroyed my 2 plots of land where I planted maize. I have reported to the nearest civil defence and they ask me to give an approximate amount of what was destroyed. I don't know what to tell them because this is my first time of planting maize. Please help me out

50k is a fair price for maize on 2 plots of land
Re: Maize Farmers Only by stagger: 7:45pm On Jul 16, 2019
ifedola28:

50K; Is that for transport or what?

A hectare (15 plots) can take 50,000 stands, which is about 6,600 stands per plot. Make a loss allowance for 1,600 stands, and he would get 5,000 stands per plot. Assuming one stand produces 1 cob, that is 5,000 cobs. Let us even divide this by 2, and we get 2,500 cobs.

An ear of corn has a retail price of N50. Therefore, he should be demanding at least N125,000 in compensation. Frankly, he needs to demand at least N350,000 using the calculation above for a full 5000 stands. This is to be broken down as follows:

- money spent on development (N50,000)
- N250,000 compensation for lost revenue from fully developed corn PLUS compensation for personal loss that results from unavailability of the future revenue (e.g. what if a family member gets sick and no money to pay for treatment as a result of lost revenue from destroyed crops)?

That is how these things are demanded for. The Fulani guys should be prepared to produce ONE fully matured female cow as compensation. The guy should demand this in full with no iota of reduction.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 9:14pm On Jul 16, 2019
[quote author=stagger post=80333923]

50K; Is that for transport or what?

A hectare (15 plots) can take 50,000 stands, which is about 6,600 stands per plot. Make a loss allowance for 1,600 stands, and he would get 5,000 stands per plot. Assuming one stand produces 1 cob, that is 5,000 cobs. Let us even divide this by 2, and we get 2,500 cobs.

An ear of corn has a retail price of N50. Therefore, he should be demanding at least N125,000 in compensation. Frankly, he needs to demand at least N350,000 using the calculation above for a full 5000 stands. This is to be broken down as follows:

- money spent on development (N50,000)
- N250,000 compensation for lost revenue from fully developed corn PLUS compensation for personal loss that results from unavailability of the future revenue (e.g. what if a family member gets sick and no money to pay for treatment as a result of lost revenue from destroyed crops)?

That is how these things are demanded for. The Fulani guys should be prepared to produce ONE fully matured female cow as compensation. The guy should demand this in full with no iota of reduction. [/quote

Ok, so you make as much as 250k from 2 plots of maize?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by stagger: 10:22pm On Jul 16, 2019
[quote author=ifedola28 post=80336360][/quote]

Tell us how you arrived at your 50k. At least I presented a standpoint with an illustration on which the fellow can seek compensation. Share with us from your wealth of wisdom how you arrived at N50,000 for compensation after the fellow took the pains, time, effort, money, and all to plant his 2 plots.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Functionoftime(m): 10:22pm On Jul 16, 2019
ifedola28:

Ok, so you make as much as 250k from 2 plots of maize
Staggers' calculation is not based only on what can be made on 2 plots of maize.
If making 250k from 2 plots of maize in 12 weeks is rocket science, I'll never touch maize again in my life. I know how much I would have made if I had planted my preferred crop; cucumber, on that 2 plots. If not for cucumber glut in the market and the need for crop rotation, I have been spoilt by cucumber to start making money 6th week after sowing.
Thanks for your input
An officer has been assigned to arrest them early tomorrow morning but a Fulani man called me tonight and was begging that we see and talk things out tomorrow. He said he wasn't around, it was his sons that made the mistake
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 10:19am On Jul 17, 2019
Functionoftime:

Staggers' calculation is not based only on what can be made on 2 plots of maize.
If making 250k from 2 plots of maize in 12 weeks is rocket science, I'll never touch maize again in my life. I know how much I would have made if I had planted my preferred crop; cucumber, on that 2 plots. If not for cucumber glut in the market and the need for crop rotation, I have been spoilt by cucumber to start making money 6th week after sowing.
Thanks for your input
An officer has been assigned to arrest them early tomorrow morning but a Fulani man called me tonight and was begging that we see and talk things out tomorrow. He said he wasn't around, it was his sons that made the mistake

I think it's even better you plant cucumber,byou can't make 250k from 2 plots of maize farm. Anyone that tells you otherwise is deceiving you, won't say more than that.

I also think you should see the Fulani man in the presence of an officer, sort things out and give him a document to sign that such will never happen again and in case it happens, they should be prepare to pay a million naira for damages. Make him sign it, you should also sign and the officer should sign as a witness.

Forgive them this time around for your own safety. If anything happens to you, government won't blink an eye. Your safety is your responsibility.

Wisdom is needed for this type of situation and not revenge.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Bolutiniori(m): 10:22am On Jul 17, 2019
I am interested in the discussion and getting my facts from here
I am new and want to start a maize farming in a small way

Where can I get the hybrid seed around Ikotun (Lagos State) or Atan (Ogun State)? VERY URGENT

When are the best time to plant maize? I read i can plant 3 times a year without irrigation or 5 times with irrigation? Though I am just preparing my land now but this may help me next year.

Thanks
(justgrace78@gmail.com, whatsApp 08032434768)
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Bolutiniori(m): 10:26am On Jul 17, 2019
Functionoftime:

Thanks for your input

Can you please give me details on Cucumber farming please
(justgrace78@gmail.com WhatsApp 08032434768)
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Bolutiniori(m): 10:30am On Jul 17, 2019
ifedola28:

I think it's even better you plant cucumber, won't say more than that

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 17, 2019
Bolutiniori:

Sir, there is a thread for it by Pistotita. You will learn a lot from the thread and you can even ask questions from experienced farmers.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 17, 2019
stagger:

Tell us how you arrived at your 50k. At least I presented a standpoint with an illustration on which the fellow can seek compensation. Share with us from your wealth of wisdom how you arrived at N50,000 for compensation after the fellow took the pains, time, effort, money, and all to plant his 2 plots.

I don't have to prove anything, he can go ahead with the 250k. It's just misleading to make people feel you can make some unrealistic values from some crops.

Anyone is free to make whatever decision suits him. Reality is always the best teacher
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Bolutiniori(m): 12:22pm On Jul 17, 2019
ifedola28:

Sir, there is a thread for it by Pistotita. You will learn a lot from the thread and you can even ask questions from experienced farmers.

I cant understand that please
What is Pistotita?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jul 17, 2019
Re: Maize Farmers Only by stagger: 12:40pm On Jul 17, 2019
ifedola28:

I don't have to prove anything, he can go ahead with the 250k. It's just misleading to make people feel you can make some unrealistic values from some crops.

Anyone is free to make whatever decision suits him. Reality is always the best teacher

I think you have a serious problem with comprehension. We are not talking about how much he will make. We are talking about him getting compensation. I have also asked you to show how you arrived at a compensation demand of N50,000: you are yet to do so. The reason is because you simply do not have an idea. You just threw up a figure without knowing how compensation figures are arrived at. In case you do not know how compensation laws work, I think you should read more or consult a lawyer to educate you on the matter.

I am not here to argue about what he can and cannot make as that is not even the issue: something you seem to have a problem understanding.

I say this very seriously as herdsmen are causing rampage all over the country, destroying farms, killing and kidnapping farmers, etc. Many people here will suffer losses as a result. Without a knowledge of how they can seek compensation after engaging the law enforcement agents, how do they recoup their investments?

This is not a personality contest so please stop skating the topic of compensation and address the issue squarely.

1 Like

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Bolutiniori(m): 5:38pm On Jul 17, 2019
Re: Maize Farmers Only by OluchiDelly: 7:03pm On Jul 17, 2019
ifedola28:

You n stagger are both maize farmers. If ur expected revenue revenue from 2 plots is 50k, u may be right, if stagger's also is 250k from 2 plots, he too may be right.
I can relate well with staggers calculation because he's based in Abuja environs, hence he's using abuja market. I hav bought corn on d street of Abuja, i even bought above N50 per one.
Your 50k projection is wt respect to SW market, in sw, u can buy/sell 3 or 4 pcs @N50 @farmgate.
But when it comes to compensation issue, wrt law suit, u don't quote ur expected revenue only, just like stagger said, he can push up to 350k.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 17, 2019
OluchiDelly:

You n stagger are both maize farmers. If ur expected revenue revenue from 2 plots is 50k, u may be right, if stagger's also is 250k from 2 plots, he too may be right.
I can relate well with staggers calculation because he's based in Abuja environs, hence he's using abuja market. I hav bought corn on d street of Abuja, i even bought above N50 per one.
Your 50k projection is wt respect to SW market, in sw, u can buy/sell 3 or 4 pcs @N50 @farmgate.
But when it comes to compensation issue, wrt law suit, u don't quote ur expected revenue only, just like stagger said, he can push up to 350k.

Thanks
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jul 17, 2019
stagger:

I think you have a serious problem with comprehension. We are not talking about how much he will make. We are talking about him getting compensation. I have also asked you to show how you arrived at a compensation demand of N50,000: you are yet to do so. The reason is because you simply do not have an idea. You just threw up a figure without knowing how compensation figures are arrived at. In case you do not know how compensation laws work, I think you should read more or consult a lawyer to educate you on the matter.

I am not here to argue about what he can and cannot make as that is not even the issue: something you seem to have a problem understanding.

I say this very seriously as herdsmen are causing rampage all over the country, destroying farms, killing and kidnapping farmers, etc. Many people here will suffer losses as a result. Without a knowledge of how they can seek compensation after engaging the law enforcement agents, how do they recoup their investments?

This is not a personality contest so please stop skating the topic of compensation and address the issue squarely.

I simply don't have the time. Just coming in from a site. You have the time, you can lecture me on what I have a serious problem comprehending.

If you think I have a serious problem with comprehension, you can as well elaborate without passing insults. You nairalanders are just so fond of doing that. E
Re: Maize Farmers Only by OluchiDelly: 8:48pm On Jul 17, 2019
ifedola28:

I simply don't have the time. Just coming in from a site. You have the time, you can lecture me on what I have a serious problem comprehending.

If you think I have a serious problem with comprehension, you can as well elaborate without passing insults. You nairalanders are just so fond of doing that. E
Abeg let it slide. That's his own style of passing msg/instruction across. If u bn observing stagger very well, u wl notice he speaks like a retired force/military man. Oga stagger sey I lie grin ?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Functionoftime(m): 6:31am On Jul 18, 2019
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Cocoboms(m): 7:40pm On Jul 21, 2019
Hi all. Happy weekend. I apologize to the OP for derailing the thread a bit. Please house, I have this new 20 litres Motorised knapsack sprayer for sale. I'm selling it at 62k (negotiable).

I'm in abuja. Can deliver nationwide. Pics are below. Check my profile for my contact. Thanks!

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Ekken: 9:52pm On Jul 21, 2019
Can someone still plant maize now?
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Liadi2(m): 3:24am On Jul 22, 2019
Cocoboms:
Hi all. Happy weekend. I apologize to the OP for derailing the thread a bit. Please house, I have this new 20 litres Motorised knapsack sprayer for sale. I'm selling it at 62k (negotiable).

I'm in abuja. Can deliver nationwide. Pics are below. Check my profile for my contact. Thanks!
I have interest but this your price is too exorbitant because new one is even cheaper than this. Here is attached picture of price and litres new one

Re: Maize Farmers Only by Cocoboms(m): 7:23pm On Jul 22, 2019
Ekken:
Can someone still plant maize now?

Of course you can still plant maize now. I planted my last batch of maize in nassarawa as late as mid-agust last year and the Maize came out fine at d end of tbe season. So just imagine you are South of that location.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by opeyemiabdullah: 8:59pm On Jul 22, 2019
Thanks for the thread
What is the current price of a tonne of yellow maize?
I need contact of maize buyers please
I have About 20 tonnes of dried yellow maize for sale
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Cocoboms(m): 9:41pm On Jul 22, 2019
opeyemiabdullah:
Thanks for the thread
What is the current price of a tonne of yellow maize?
I need contact of maize buyers please
I have About 20 tonnes of dried yellow maize for sale

I think it's still fluctuating around 75k per tonne. You need to state your exact location for people to help you with bulk buyers.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by numen(m): 2:10pm On Jul 25, 2019
Hello Guys,

Can a Fog Machine be used to combat pests in a maize farm? I came across this nairaland thread https://www.nairaland.com/5123736/control-pests-disinfect-farm-silos about it last year and today,
I came across a 1:44sec video of it on youtube https://youtu.be/qI-w-23IpwU

If you've seen this machine in action please enlighten us on it's effectiveness.
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Godpride: 9:11pm On Jul 26, 2019
Hello nairaland, I must confess I am so happy to go through this wonderful thread I learnt a lot in.this Group to an extent that I had to put call through the opener of this great thread.. I am a new baby in farming and i intend to plant maize and vegetables. I reside in osogbo and my farm land is.in.ede.. Please I would love to ask few questions from a lot of people in this group.. I would appreciate it more if the following people can drop their contact or whatsapp in order to.motivate and support the young farmers like me.. Please I beg you help us to reach the peak in farming as well.. Like I said my questions are many but I will ask few while I ask the remaining when I get my bosses contact via this medium and I have also send them email too.. @pistotita, @neonm,@inspectahdeck@oluchidelly@chianskys I'm so sorry if I didn't pronounce ur name well.. My q
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Godpride: 9:21pm On Jul 26, 2019
I have boa super 4 someone just introduced me to plant, I have also secure 4 plot of land to plant maize and vegetables (tete). My questions is; on herbicide how will I apply it on my intercrop planting without affecting what I plant. Which of the herbicide should I go for?
Must I apply fertilizers on my farm?
How many bags of fertilizer will I buy for 4 plots of land?
How much is.the current price of a bag of fertilizer?
Is it advisable to plant my vegetables and maize separately or togetherly because of application of herbicides to control pest in vegetables.
What do you guys mean by open pollinated?
How will.I.measure 25cm by 75cm when planting my maize
Hope it is not too late to plant maize and vegetables as you are aware I reside in southwest?

Thank.you for your response

More to.come oo
Re: Maize Farmers Only by Chiansky(m): 11:48pm On Jul 26, 2019
ifedola28:

50k is my transport, if am the one na 500k no going back

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Growing Red Corn With Photos / Akwa Ibom Begins Onions Cultivation (Photos) / Latest Prices Of Day Old Broilers, Pullets,turkeys & Cockerels.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.