Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,314 members, 7,954,260 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:38 PM

It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega (35323 Views)

INEC Is Not Mandated To Collate Or Transmit Results Electronically - Tribunal / INEC Must Transmit Governorship Election Results Electronically - Court / LG Polls: Lagos May Transmit Election Results Electronically – LASIEC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by Ijaya123: 5:14pm On Jun 18, 2019
tegrianonigltd:

We are getting closer....first,we do not have a sever...then we have a server,but for experiment and now its illegal to transmit election result electronically to the "SERVER"...Why collect money for server in the budget, every organization have a server, even jumia and co, talkless of a national body, forget sentiment, these people are making Nigeria a laughing stock in the public eyes, that means we are so ancient in a 21st technology century, no server

Atiku's supporters are truly disillusioned.

2 Likes

Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by bluecircle470: 5:21pm On Jun 18, 2019
Cryomancer:
Yes it is a very illegal stuff to do... but it is not illegal to include the money for the server in the election budget...
- It is not illegal for INEC officials to collect bribe
- It is also not illegal to steal ballot boxes by police during election
- It is also not illegal for INEC staffs to be seen with election materials in their private residence before the election dates
- It is also not illegal to steal the peoples mandate
- It is also not illegal for INEC chairman to receive directives from APC either to publish results or not.
- It is also not illegal for INEC officials to thumbprint ballot papers by themselves.

Developed countries transmit results electronically just for ease of voting and fairness... But here in Nigeria, it is an illegal thing to do.

Our Leaders Have Gone Mad Again.

You’re still pained since March abi.... sorry i feel ur pain

1 Like

Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by Justice102: 5:33pm On Jun 18, 2019
Daboomb:

Most comments, like yours, which seek that INEC produce "an election result Server", are laden with too much EMOTION and devoid of "legal" basis (No pun intended).
Why do l say that?
The matter is in a Court of LAW and as such, issues have to be debated in its LEGALITY.
What do l mean?
- Do you agree that there is a subsisting LAW (Electoral Act), which forbids the transmission of results ELECTRONICALLY.

- Do you agree that there was a PROPOSED Amendment to that Law (Electoral Act) but the amendment was not signed into law? ...and therefore it is still illegal to transmit elections result electronically.

- Yes, money was approved to buy Electronic equipments (in anticipation of the President signing the amendment into law), including Servers and they were bought, the Question is: WAS the SERVER USED in the election?

- Another question is: Would it be legal if it were used in the election? Would it not invalidate (legally) the winner of the election, bearing in mind that the law PROHIBITS the trasnmission of result electronically?

- Are you aware that INEC Chair announced ON NATIONAL TV before the election that they have become aware that a particular party (PDP) has hired and commissioned HACKERS, to infiltrate into INEC Servers (hoping it it will used), to manipulate results in their favor....... and as such, INEC has stopped the 'legal and physical' pursuit of transmitting Results electronically?

- Are you aware that in legal parlance, "you cannot build something on nothing" (in layman's term) and if the LAW (Electoral Act) has PROHIBITTED something, it remains prohibitted and all actions emanating from it remains Null and Void?

-Are you aware that the law does not assist the indolent and as such, the Courts cannot help anyone (Political party or its Candidate), in any endeavor that seeks to FLOUT the LAW?
- Are you aware that asking INEC to bring out "The Server it used for transmitting Election result" is tantamount to asking INEC to break the Law (Electoral Act) in its pursuit of validating its election Complaints?
Which Court will grant such wish or even if the Court does grant such wish, INEC will simply respond that such Server does not exist as it would amount to breaking the law ......and the Court cannot compel INEC to break the law?

Your last question (#5) is what l sought to answer in detail because all the previous four are mere "historical facts" which does not affect the decision of INEC not to break the law (by deciding not to use a SERVER to transmit election results).....hence the need for the results to be announced manually/verbally by INEC returning officers.

So you see why l say that we have to separate "emotions" from the application of the law.....the law may be an ass but it is still the law.
What we "wish" to happen in this matter, is borne out of our emotions but what will happen, is borne out of the "electoral LAW"

I rest my case.

BTW: I hope we all know that by simply replacing the Hard Disk in any Server with a new one, you can completely obliterate ALL TRACE of any event that happened or Data stored on it because the data is stored on that Hard Disk. undecided undecided
My dear, the questions were not meant for you. However, the questions are open to everyone to answer but you have not answered the questions. You just tried to answer only one of the questions but your are still very very far to entertain the question.
Anyway thanks for attempting to answer one of the questions.
My question to you is: Substance and technicalities which one is superior in dealing with election cases?
Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by Enice(m): 7:32pm On Jun 18, 2019
Justice102:

Budget and bill. Can you approve a budget that its bill into law has not been signed? FG approved INEC to do what is alleged not to be in the constitution.
maybe you forgot so quickly how saraki was sending congress on recess upandan just to avoid impeachment then.it was the plea of nig3rians to call congress back from rece33 to pass the INEC budget that made him change his mind. buhari had to veto the electoral bill because it was to close to election. the future of ele2tions in nigeria is electronic voting. 3ummu rhgt

1 Like

Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by jamesharryson(m): 7:39pm On Jun 18, 2019
adanny01:

The law didn't prohibit electronic accreditation.
You can say anything to justify the wrong INEC principles. But know that the truth must be told, the 2019 election was rigged
Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by sweetilicious(f): 7:56pm On Jun 18, 2019
Cryomancer:
Yes it is a very illegal stuff to do... but it is not illegal to include the money for the server in the election budget...
- It is not illegal for INEC officials to collect bribe
- It is also not illegal to steal ballot boxes by police during election
- It is also not illegal for INEC staffs to be seen with election materials in their private residence before the election dates
- It is also not illegal to steal the peoples mandate
- It is also not illegal for INEC chairman to receive directives from APC either to publish results or not.
- It is also not illegal for INEC officials to thumbprint ballot papers by themselves.

Developed countries transmit results electronically just for ease of voting and fairness... But here in Nigeria, it is an illegal thing to do.

Our Leaders Have Gone Mad Again.
Thank you
Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jun 18, 2019
tegrianonigltd:

If they put the two together as oga to learn from, who would you follow, to grow as a being, let say they are the only two choices for you

There u got it wrong. In this case i am supposed to be the oga. They are there to serve us not the reverse.

Your case is that of "Stockholm Syndrome" where u now accept and eat the sh.t of ur captors without knowing.

I ask u, knowing the profile of Atiku as a public servant for years, would u go ahead to employ him as a manager of ur hard earned asset if u were to be for example Dangote?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by abbasajao(m): 9:14pm On Jun 18, 2019
alawi5k:
Inec Server was used during Ekiti gubernatorial election. Someone posted it here(Ekiti Decide Thread) from situation room even before inec announced the winner. Inec should tell us the truth for posterity sake. We need strong institutions not strong men.

One of the staggered elections inec is talking about
Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by tegrianonigltd(m): 10:06pm On Jun 18, 2019
correctguy0900:

There u got it wrong. In this case i am supposed to be the oga. They are there to serve us not the reverse.

Your case is that of "Stockholm Syndrome" where u now accept and eat the sh.t of ur captors without knowing.

I ask u, knowing the profile of Atiku as a public servant for years, would u go ahead to employ him as a manager of ur hard earned asset if u were to be for example Dangote?

I am not talking about public office, or anything, I am talking as normal beings now, Who would you like to work with?
Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 18, 2019
tegrianonigltd:

I am not talking about public office, or anything, I am talking as normal beings now, Who would you like to work with?

Sorry i do not know these people as normal human beings. Thanks
Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by sapientia(m): 12:50am On Jun 19, 2019
From No server to experiment servers.

Ok
Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by Olumaeme: 2:22am On Jun 19, 2019
kunlesmiles:
Even if a server exists, It can't be tendered as evidence in court, because it is not even recognized by our electoral law, at best we use it for public discussion.its quite funny seeing the PDP at d other end of d spectrum, once upon a time they were d chief riggers of elections in Nigeria, now d mantle don fall on another party now, dem dey shout blue murder.APC will be at d receiving end some day too. NOTHING LAST FOREVER

Did our laws recognize card readers? Did our laws recognize table and chairs used during collation? Why can't they sit on the floor na?

The law didn't say electronic results transfer is illegal, it only said electronic voting.

INEC can set guidelines for conduct of elections as not deem fit under the law.

If there are no server, why did they budget for it?
Why did they Train and deploy staffs (RACtek) on the day of election?
Why did INEC commissioners for Ondo and Akwa ibom states said it on national television in separate interviews with Channels and spoke about the server and electronic coalation?

If the argument is the results cannot be relied upon due network issues, or cite any reasonable excuse, it would have been better. But saying they didn't use electionic collation is plain stupidity
Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by Daboomb: 7:20am On Jun 19, 2019
Justice102:

My dear, the questions were not meant for you. However, the questions are open to everyone to answer but you have not answered the questions. You just tried to answer only one of the questions but your are still very very far to entertain the question.
Anyway thanks for attempting to answer one of the questions.
My question to you is: Substance and technicalities which one is superior in dealing with election cases?

First, l am not your "my dear", that is very condescending...but it is by the way. undecided

In law, cases that are very obvious (like Mr. A was caught stealing Yam in the market, korokoro eyes!) has been lost due to mere "technicalities" (he was beaten black and blue by Police so much so he could not sign his written statement)

Now, that every accused person must sign their own statement, is basic in charging someone to court but if you bring someone to court with an unsigned statement, the Judge will just throw your case away and discharge the person!

So Bro, 'technicality" will trump substance in any law court....... that is why we say the law is an Ass (donkey! if you sabi how to ride it, you can get away with almost anything!
Ask seasoned Lawyers and they will tell you that in very, very bad cases, all they look for are 'technicalities/loopholes', to spring their client from conviction.

In this election matter, l want you to bookmark this Post that l said: Atiku has lost, based on technicalities
The electoral law prohibits the transmission of election results electronically......therefore anything found inside any Server, is "technically" null and void.

Buhari refusing to sign that Bill amendment into law, just before the last elections (despite the fact that the Saraki led NASS has approved it), was a deliberate master-stroke. grin grin grin

Atiku and his PDP should accept defeat, only the "Smart" excel. grin undecided

1 Like

Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by Justice102: 8:15am On Jun 19, 2019
Daboomb:

First, l am not your "my dear", that is very condescending...but it is by the way. undecided

In law, cases that are very obvious (like Mr. A was caught stealing Yam in the market, korokoro eyes!) has been lost due to mere "technicalities" (he was beaten black and blue by Police so much so he could not sign his written statement)

Now, that every accused person must sign their own statement, is basic in charging someone to court but if you bring someone to court with an unsigned statement, the Judge will just throw your case away and discharge the person!

So Bro, 'technicality" will trump substance in any law court....... that is why we say the law is an Ass (donkey! if you sabi how to ride it, you can get away with almost anything!
Ask seasoned Lawyers and they will tell you that in very, very bad cases, all they look for are 'technicalities/loopholes', to spring their client from conviction.

In this election matter, l want you to bookmark this Post that l said: Atiku has lost, based on technicalities
The electoral law prohibits the transmission of election results electronically......therefore anything found inside any Server, is "technically" null and void.

Buhari refusing to sign that Bill amendment into law, just before the last elections (despite the fact that the Saraki led NASS has approved it), was a deliberate master-stroke. grin grin grin

Atiku and his PDP should accept defeat, only the "Smart" excel. grin undecided
Under Civility Principle of Approach (CPoA) in human relationship and communication you are my dear. So my dear, you have answered my question but making a personal and emotional verdict on case that is still in the court as well as imposing the verdict to your preferred affected person is very funny.
Meanwhile your explanation before answering my question shows that you were in a hurry to answer my question without understanding some of the critical keywords ( i.e election cases) not general/normal court cases which you used in your explanation.
When it comes to election cases, every subtance has a technical back up but not every technicality has a substance back up.
If technicalities are superior to substance in election cases, why APC was completely disconnected to feature any candidate in Rivers and why did supreme court nullified all the APC election victories in Zamfara State?
Why did court sack and replace senator Musa (APC) from Niger with another APC guy?
Why did supreme court declared Yusuf (PDP) as the rightful gubertorial flagbearer in Kano State?
Why is INEC shifting their goal post to the public with respect to the server and SCRs request in the court?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by Daboomb: 2:03am On Jun 21, 2019
Justice102:

Under Civility Principle of Approach (CPoA) in human relationship and communication you are my dear. So my dear, you have answered my question but making a personal and emotional verdict on case that is still in the court as well as imposing the verdict to your preferred affected person is very funny.
Meanwhile your explanation before answering my question shows that you were in a hurry to answer my question without understanding some of the critical keywords ( i.e election cases) not general/normal court cases which you used in your explanation.
When it comes to election cases, every subtance has a technical back up but not every technicality has a substance back up.
If technicalities are superior to substance in election cases, why APC was completely disconnected to feature any candidate in Rivers and why did supreme court nullified all the APC election victories in Zamfara State?
Why did court sack and replace senator Musa (APC) from Niger with another APC guy?
Why did supreme court declared Yusuf (PDP) as the rightful gubertorial flagbearer in Kano State?
Why is INEC shifting their goal post to the public with respect to the server and SCRs request in the court?
No Sir!
You dont know me, you dont know if l am male or female (and might consider your dear as being an unwarranted, amorous comment grin ) and you have never met me so the only "civility of approcah convention" that can come into play is to be "officially Courteous" with me, as a complete stranger. Sir or madam is the normal approach in sich cases.
A Police Officer, even when he is about to put handcuffs in your hand, since he does not have any personal relationship with you, will say: Sir/Madam, can you stretch out your hands Please. because that is the normal convention.
Again, l am not your "dear", Period.

Back to basis:
-Election cases before a Court/tribunal, are still governed by existing electoral laws, just like "normal/civil/criminal" cases so there is no biggy there.
- Substance of a case before a court is about the issue in discourse. That can be argued from different angles by the parties.
- "Technicalities" on the other hand, are matters of "weakness/loopholes/Clauses" in the law which can be exploited by either parties and such exploitation are legal! Since "technicalities are matters of Law, a Judge will defer naturally to matters of law FIRST, before considering the Substance because such techicalities are "Ouster Clauses" that ties the hand of the Judge and prevents him from doing otherwise, even when his heart tels him that he should do otherwise! The law, is the law...it could be an Ass that you can ride, if you are smart enough.
- Again, as in the case of Rivers or Zamfara or other places where APC did not present canddates, it was still a mater of LAW because "LAws were broken, techinically or otherwise! The Court prevented them from presenting candidates because "a techinicality" nullified their primaries and as such, their candidate. This should be obvious to you.
- INEC is not shifting anything to the Public because it is not the Public that would decide the Supreme court case.
- INEC is relying on the law, a technicality of the law for that matter (The law says election result cannot be electronically transmitted through a Digital Equipment (SERVER)...therefore, any election result purportedly transmitted electronically, and into any Digital Equipment (SERVER), is null and Void, ab initio.
- The Judges of the SC will simply open the Electoral Act and find out if the above position IS TRUE..... if it is, END OF STORY for Atiku's petition.
If it is not, then the Court will Compel INEC to produce a Digital Equipment (Server) and even at that, as l have pointed out, INEC still reserves the right not to use a Serve if as it claims, it has reaosn to beleive that the SERVER has been or could have been compromised

I wont go back and forth with you again on this matter, you can exercise your constitutional right to remian... and stick with ignorance. Its your call.
Let us wait and see where the gavel swings at the SC

1 Like

Re: It Is Illegal To Transmit Election Results Electronically - Attahiru Jega by Justice102: 5:20pm On Jun 21, 2019
Daboomb:

No Sir!
You dont know me, you dont know if l am male or female (and might consider your dear as being an unwarranted, amorous comment grin ) and you have never met me so the only "civility of approcah convention" that can come into play is to be "officially Courteous" with me, as a complete stranger. Sir or madam is the normal approach in sich cases.
A Police Officer, even when he is about to put handcuffs in your hand, since he does not have any personal relationship with you, will say: Sir/Madam, can you stretch out your hands Please. because that is the normal convention.
Again, l am not your "dear", Period.

Back to basis:
-Election cases before a Court/tribunal, are still governed by existing electoral laws, just like "normal/civil/criminal" cases so there is no biggy there.
- Substance of a case before a court is about the issue in discourse. That can be argued from different angles by the parties.
- "Technicalities" on the other hand, are matters of "weakness/loopholes/Clauses" in the law which can be exploited by either parties and such exploitation are legal! Since "technicalities are matters of Law, a Judge will defer naturally to matters of law FIRST, before considering the Substance because such techicalities are "Ouster Clauses" that ties the hand of the Judge and prevents him from doing otherwise, even when his heart tels him that he should do otherwise! The law, is the law...it could be an Ass that you can ride, if you are smart enough.
- Again, as in the case of Rivers or Zamfara or other places where APC did not present canddates, it was still a mater of LAW because "LAws were broken, techinically or otherwise! The Court prevented them from presenting candidates because "a techinicality" nullified their primaries and as such, their candidate. This should be obvious to you.
- INEC is not shifting anything to the Public because it is not the Public that would decide the Supreme court case.
- INEC is relying on the law, a technicality of the law for that matter (The law says election result cannot be electronically transmitted through a Digital Equipment (SERVER)...therefore, any election result purportedly transmitted electronically, and into any Digital Equipment (SERVER), is null and Void, ab initio.
- The Judges of the SC will simply open the Electoral Act and find out if the above position IS TRUE..... if it is, END OF STORY for Atiku's petition.
If it is not, then the Court will Compel INEC to produce a Digital Equipment (Server) and even at that, as l have pointed out, INEC still reserves the right not to use a Serve if as it claims, it has reaosn to beleive that the SERVER has been or could have been compromised

I wont go back and forth with you again on this matter, you can exercise your constitutional right to remian... and stick with ignorance. Its your call.
Let us wait and see where the gavel swings at the SC
Hahahahaha, let me stop here because you were unable to answer the questions specifically directed to you?
Thanks for your time for all this while. However, under civility, I put it to you that it is 100% in order to call you "my dear" but if you reject that it is none of my business. I purposely analysed why I called you "my dear", knowing very well from my observations based on your previous comments that you will channel your attention to the why the "my dear" and leave the subject matter questions that were asked to you.
My dear have a great weekend in advance. It is not about APC or PDP but it is about JUSTICE. Support our teams tomorrow to win their two matches. Don't tell me that you and I don't have teams unless you are not a Nigerian. LOL and take care of yourself. Pen dropped.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Scores Feared Dead As Multiple Explosions Rock Maiduguri / 'Why I Left Buhari' - Dele Momodu Gives Reason / Buhari Directs Osinbajo To Seek Approvals For Agencies Under Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.