Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,531 members, 7,954,992 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:51 PM

Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom (26626 Views)

Ronaldinho Detained For Entering Paraguay With A Fake Passport (Photos) / Pogba's Reaction After Messi's Goal. The Look On His Face Is Epic! / Eagles Will Get N18M For Every Goal Not Replied – Aiteo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 20, 2019
GEEBITE:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][/color][color=#990000][b][/b]I'll take only the Libero Pasarella out of the the three as well above average.But he did not a play a single match as he was battling illness,loss of form and tiff with Maradona. I dont need Youtube, as I was privileged to watch all the games of Argentina in Mexico 86. Maradona was the soul, captain,their team's top scorer as a pure number 10(playmaker) and MVP.Jorge Valdano was a declining force as number 9,he was a bench warmer for the Vulture Butragueno and the legendary Hugo Sanchez in Real Madrid.I don't need to dwell too much on Burucchaga,he is an average striker or can you compare him to Careca of Brazil?
These three guys didnt make 1990 world cup final and yet Maradona still dragged a worse team(well below average) that lost an opening match in a world cup to the finals before losing via a second half penalty to a German team full of superstars. Please you can be rating your Messi over Ronaldo but dont try it with Maradona. Messi doesnt come close.

About Carlos Bilardo..yeah the Argentine public apologised to him for excessive criticism because he was like their Mourinho with negative tactics but it was glaring Maradona won the world cup for them,the people know who their true and only hero is.
C. Cannigia himself knows without Maradona in Italia90 he was nothing.At least we saw in US94 that immediately Maradona was banned,the team collapsed.
Maradona was at his peak in 1986 but he had Buruchaga, Valdano and Brown who scored in the final when the German marked him out of the game. Yes, he assisted Buruchaga but at least the striker scored...

If you watch this teammates of his closely, they were playing a united foot ball. I mean free flowing fluid football even though Maradona is the leader of the opera. But in case of the present Messi teammates, it is as if something was seizing their legs from making passes and stay on top of the game...

Maradona definitely has better teammates...

But comparison between Messi and Maradona ends at international level. Messi is many steps ahead of him at club level... They don't play on the same position tho..
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Archbishop88: 4:18pm On Jun 20, 2019
kehinde2436:
Messi should just forget about winning medal with this Argentina national team, seems they are doomed for failure during this generation.

Soon Laliga and champions league will begin, probably by then he can once again proof himself more for the race of Ballon D Or.
U mean dz year gallon Do'ris for CR7, messi should queue for next year award.... U too sabi ooooh.

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Beedude(m): 4:31pm On Jun 20, 2019
Beverlyjean:

George weahs greatest regret is not choosing France ahead of Liberia... Look at the nonsense u typed... In other words u should not compare him with Ronaldo cos Ronaldo also has a weak national team but he took up the challenge and won their first two major trophies...
U sound pained. I know ur type. Always challenged by others opinion. If u cant accept my comment why not look away. U lack home training. Not everyone u meet online is ur mate
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by GEEBITE: 4:46pm On Jun 20, 2019
Lol at club level.Your Messi is lucky to play in generation where players are cocooned from tackles and everything tailored to make them succeed as well as improved medical advancement aiding longevity in the game.However, From the Boca Juniors as a cemented legend to Bracelona,on to Napoli,Sevilla and back to Boca.MARADONA is head over shoulders compared to Messi. You folks think it is about scoring goals alone,Messi has just tipped half of goals scored by Pele so what is the big deal.
You can go to your favourite Youtube and watch the day Maradona signed for SEVILLA after the expiration of his drug ban.That is the stuff of a real GOAT
eni4real:
Maradona was at his peak in 1986 but he had Buruchaga, Valdano and Brown who scored in the final when the German marked him out of the game. Yes, he assisted Buruchaga but at least the striker scored...

If you watch this teammates of his closely, they were playing a united foot ball. I mean free flowing fluid football even though Maradona is the leader of the opera. But in case of the present Messi teammates, it is as if something was seizing their legs from making passes and stay on top of the game...

Maradona definitely has better teammates...

But comparison between Messi and Maradona ends at international level. Messi is many steps ahead of him at club level... They don't play on the same position tho..

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by chiboy1116: 5:54pm On Jun 20, 2019
Beverlyjean:

When Portugal won the Euros ...did they have a striker?? Did they have a good midfielder... What's the difference between these Argentine midfielders and the Portuguese midfielders at the Euros

Quaresma... Fluntuates and can't completes full time
Moutinho... Average ( never played for a top club)
João mario... Dead
Vierinha.... Unknown
Andre Gomez ... Dead
Renato Sanchez... Inexperienced
Rafa silver... unknown
William cavarlho ... average
Danilo...average
Andre silver... Dead

Those are the names of the entire midfielders Portugal used in the euros to win it... Not one played for a top European club... All were in Portuguese league , apart from moutinho that was in the French league and quaresma that was in the Turkish league... The only two superstar in the team was Ronaldo and there was Nani that never hit it big and Pepe that is red card prone...

But they still won the euros that is the second most difficult cup to win after the world cup... And remember,they had never won anything in their history...
But u guys are there making excuses for Messi....
on the intl stage , I don't think name matters that much . Take for example Switzerland and Denmark. Greece won the euros in 2004 without big a** players , I am not trying to give excuses for Messi , he's one of the guys on the team and should be blamed also . But , Argentina wouldn't be talking about winning sh*t without Messi . He literally took them to their last WC , they have been to four finals and lost all four of them . They couldn't even win one . Portugal went to 1 final and won cos Ronaldo had competent team mates who play well without him .

PS Ronaldo plays as a striker for Portugal FYI I think they use more of a 442 then .

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 20, 2019
GEEBITE:
Lol at club level.Your Messi is lucky to play in generation where players are cocooned from tackles and everything tailored to make them succeed as well as improved medical advancement aiding longevity in the game.However, From the Boca Juniors as a cemented legend to Bracelona,on to Napoli,Sevilla and back to Boca.MARADONA is head over shoulders compared to Messi. You folks think it is about scoring goals alone,Messi has just tipped half of goals scored by Pele so what is the big deal.
You can go to your favourite Youtube and watch the day Maradona signed for SEVILLA after the expiration of his drug ban.That is the stuff of a real GOAT
Maradona is not a forward. So I don't expect him to score as much as Messi

What about career assists?? Messi match him with that. No wonder, he won World best Playmaker for 3 consecutive years...

Maradona is great more for the national team than for the club... compared to Messi...

He was a skillful player but he peaked between 86-90.,He never rediscover that same form amidst his struggle with Ephedrine and other substance...

. The best of Maradona was in Napoli where he won 2 Serie A, 2 UEFA cups(Europa League) and Super cups. He was the best in the SerieA around 87-90.
Won a golden boot despite being an attacking Midfielder..
He was great but he is still pale in comparison to Messi...

At best Maradona was a Lampard of Napoli with more artistic skills.... Ma Gi Ca trident is a club Legend agreed!

Barcelona, yes he was in Barcelona before he moved to Napoli. He was a skillful player so he had a lot of flashy highlights in Barcelona with a wonderful price tag. But he won just the Copa dey rey with Barcelona...

I don't think he won anything with Sevilla...

Second coming to Boca, I don't think it was eventful...

Yes, Messi enjoy a weak defence system but how come only him and Cristiano score 40+ goals in the past 15 seasons. Are Lewandoski, Eto'o, Suarez, Zlatan, Drogba, Henry, R9, etc not great strikers. Why can't they produce the same for at least 6 consecutive season

Leo and Cris are something else.

. But the Playmaker ability of Messi is what baffle me most. How can someone score that high and still create such a high chance.??

Don't ask me why he can't do the same for Argentina?? You know the Answer to that!!! Mediocre is even a kind word for these teammates who can't be fluidy on the ball by default.. ..

Give me Messi and 10 pieces of Real wood and I will crash out of the group stage. That is normal. This teammates can't shield, can't move, can't threaten with shots. Apart for Aguero who else is vibrant Forget those attackers big names. This Argentina team is the worst in history especially without Messi. With Messi they are worth being beaten...
De Paul, Peypeyra, Sarravia, etc. Who are those?? They can't even prove us wrong with their mechanical football!!!

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by MrMou: 7:08pm On Jun 20, 2019
Jokerman:

4 goals in the group stages and 1 assist in the knock out stages??

That he couldn't even make the team of the tournament bases on statistics??
At least, we're over your initial crap of Messi not having a goal or assist in the KO of that World Cup.
This new crap that you're bringing now, I no understand! Which World Cup team of tournament did Messi not make
Make I wait for this reply! grin
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by bond77(m): 8:49pm On Jun 20, 2019
Berverlyjean and safarigirl got me glued to this thread like kilode.. grin when last have I witnessed female monikers dishing out facts like ABC on a thread like this, countering every rebuttals with statistics..it almost seems like I was in history class watching a debate and to think that they are discussing about football stills baffles him. monikers with brains .
I hope some female nairalanders are watching? this is how you create a good impression not by displaying butts, discussing Korean movies and telemundo upandan and flocking to threads that showcase guys with beards . undecided

btw Cr7 is the greatest player ever!!! deal with it messhit fans ! grin

2 Likes

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by GEEBITE: 10:28pm On Jun 20, 2019
It is your prima donna Messi that has been suppressing great players of his generation.From Mauro Icardi and Dyabala.What about solid players like Eva Banega and DiMaria in midfield,Argentina has always been blessed with hard nosed defenders and they are not in short supply.Messi has been influencing albiceleste team selection for about 4 tournaments now without winning.That is the difference between him and Maradona, he lacks charisma and can not motivate,there is a limit to talent.
You have sound knowledge of football but your love for Messi is affecting sound sense of Judgement.How can you limit Maradona to a short span of 86-90. Maradona football life is still longer than Messi as at now.Top level from 1977-1996 when the decline became steep.Go read sabout national outcry when the coach dropped the most talented teenager in football history at the eve of 1978 world cup.The reason why he took his own revenge on Passarela the 78 winning captain when his star was up there in 1986.
He was arguably the undisputed best South American player(only experienced Zico of Brazil was close) till a Barcelona team seeking to upstage Real domestically bought him for a world record fee then in 1982.This was after successful 5 seasons with Boca and after winning the under 21 cup in Japan as MVP hitting 9 goals,incredible feat for a playmaker then.He was on course to win the world cup for Argentina until Gentile used dark tactics to kick him out of the world cup when he retaliated a heartless foul on him with his shirt ripped to pieces.He came back in 86 and won the world cup that has been eluding him.That is greatness and that what makes him GOAT. I dont need to bore you how he took a step down to Napoli and you had already listed the medals and honours that followed.
Let Messi too step down to Palermo a team from his great grandfather origin in Sicily and win them a scudeto and any European trophy applicable. Then we can compare their success at club level.Maradona is not his mate but an dol Messi must worship.

eni4real:

What about career assists?? Messi match him with that. No wonder, he won World best Playmaker for 3 consecutive years...

Maradona is great more for the national team than for the club... compared to Messi...

He was a skillful player but he peaked between 86-90.,He never rediscover that same form amidst his struggle with Ephedrine and other substance...

. The best of Maradona was in Napoli where he won 2 Serie A, 2 UEFA cups(Europa League) and Super cups. He was the best in the SerieA around 87-90.

At best Maradona was a Lampard of Napoli with more artistic skills.... Ma Gi Ca trident is a club Legend agreed!

Barcelona, yes he was in Barcelona before he moved to Napoli. He was a skillful player so he had a lot of flashy highlights in Barcelona with a wonderful price tag. But he won just the Copa dey rey with Barcelona...

Yes, Messi enjoy a weak defence system but how come only him and Cristiano score 40+ goals in the past 15 seasons. Are Lewandoski, Eto'o, Suarez, Zlatan, Drogba, Henry, R9, etc not great strikers. Why can't they produce the same for at least 6 consecutive season

. But the Playmaker ability of Messi is what baffle me most. How can someone score that high and still create such a high chance.??

Don't ask me why he can't do the same for Argentina?? You know the Answer to that!!! Mediocre is even a kind word for these teammates who can't be fluidy on the ball by default.. ..

Give me Messi and 10 pieces of Real wood and I will crash out of the group stage. That is normal. This teammates can't shield, can't move, can't threaten with shots. Apart for Aguero who else is vibrant Forget those attackers big names. This Argentina team is the worst in history especially without Messi. With Messi they are worth being beaten...
De Paul, Peypeyra, Sarravia, etc. Who are those?? They can't even prove us wrong with their mechanical football!!!

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by DimIsaac10(m): 10:30pm On Jun 20, 2019
eltata:

I think the problem with Argentina in this Copa Nations Cup is partly due to messi and the coach. I noticed that with messi on the team, the coach cannot play two proper wingers and two strikers upfront in a match cos he would not want to distort messi"s position which is from the right side of the attack, making the formation always 4-3-3 without tweaking in the full 90 mins thereby making Angel D maria and Arguero useless in every game. The coach should instead try a messi in the central midfield (10) position and play a conventional 4-4-2 with di maria and Los Celso as proper wingers, while arguero and martinez strikes
Do you trust this Argentina's defense?
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Janosky: 11:15pm On Jun 20, 2019
GoTV:
In life you can't have it all. Life itself is full of up and down moments. As great as Ronaldo Delima who won many trophies with Brazil including World Cup, he couldn't win the Champions League which players like Daniel sturridge won recently despite playing for almighty Madrid filled with super stars. Jay Jay okocha as good as he was never won the African footballer of the year award which fringe players like Adebayor and El-hadji diouf won.

Many of you trolling messi's predicament with Argentina are doing so due to high expectations and unimaginable standards he sets for himself. He's a victim of his brilliance no doubt but never forget winning trophies is not exclusive to a player effort. Football is a team sport but i wonder why you all blame messi when he has been unfortunate to be with paper weight team mates. An injured Ronaldo won the Euro cup due to the fighting spirit of the Portuguese players (credit to Eder) after Ronaldo led them to finals with his goals. Same as the recent nations league which guedes delivered and Bernardo silva emerged best player.

Ronaldo is the arrow head of the Portuguese team no doubt but his team mates deliver when he's not in charge, unlike messi whose team mates are big names on paper but play terribly despite his efforts to inspire them to glory. Higuain missed 3 decisive one on one chances against Germany in 2014 finals before gotze scored, chances fringe players like guedes and Eder converted to win Ronaldo the international trophies you all troll about. Everything in Argentine football must not be delivered by messi. It's a games of 11 players so why place the burden on only messi as if Portugal fields only Ronaldo against other teams? When Elder and guedes scored to win the trophy when it mattered most, you guys ignore their efforts and give all praises to Ronaldo. When Argentina team plays badly even if defenders scored own goal all blame goes to messi. Haba guys, what level of hypocrisy?

This is not to defend or absorb messi of his involvement in the failure of the Argentine's team to win a major afterall he missed a penalty against chile in previous Copa finals, but i think we are too harsh on him with unreasonable criticisms.

I hope Majority of you guys criticizing him have achieved all you desire in life? I hope there is nothing again you which to achieve or conquer? Can you have it all in life? No. Even Atiku with all his billions stills dreams of being a president. You can't have it all. Ronaldo is fortunate to be in a team with winning mentality, unlike messi. Despite all Cristiano Ronaldo has won in his career, he would also wish to have a world cup medal which players like Giroud won without scoring a goal. There is always something left to chase and achieve. Despite all this challenges It doesn't dispute the fact that messi is indeed amongst the greatest players to play the game.

Had he naturalized to spain like diego Costa during their golden era of winning euros and world cup, this debate of who the greatest is would have been buried. Even if Argentina wins this year's copa America, you Ronaldo fans will still troll messi to win another international trophy to match Ronaldo's two. Nothing messi does will ever satisfy you people.

He's a victim of his brillance. Simple

Messi himself is part of the problem in the Argentine team. Most of their quality players are never invited because they're not in Messi's good books.
Leaving out Mauro Icardi was a colossal mistake (simply because Messi doesn't like his face.) Icardi could have been Argentina's Paulo Rossi.
Even their coach ,Lionel Scaloni ,na correct kpalasa

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Jokerman(m): 7:25am On Jun 21, 2019
MrMou:

At least, we're over your initial crap of Messi not having a goal or assist in the KO of that World Cup.
This new crap that you're bringing now, I no understand! Which World Cup team of tournament did Messi not make
Make I wait for this reply! grin

Oga Castrol that did the team of the tournament in 2014 didn't include Messi in their team of the tournament based on statistics... Everyone knew Blatter just handed the golden ball to Messi...

When Modric won his, was there any controversy??

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Jokerman(m): 7:31am On Jun 21, 2019
eni4real:

Messi played with great Argentine players and still couldn't win anything

Javier pastore
Walter Samuel
Gabriel heinze
Pablo Aimar
Eva Banega
Estaban Cambiasso
Diego and Gabriel Milito

So what then??

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Blabbermouth: 8:19am On Jun 21, 2019
Jokerman:

Oga Castrol that did the team of the tournament in 2014 didn't include Messi in their team of the tournament based on statistics... Everyone knew Blatter just handed the golden ball to Messi...

Modric scored how many goals?? How many MOTM ??
U are a real joker
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by MrMou: 10:24am On Jun 21, 2019
Jokerman:

You just like to yarn crap, my guy? grin Can you provide us with the so-called Castro team of 2014 World Cup tournament?

While we wait for you to provide that, why will Modric's own generate controversy when nothing much is expected of him before? It's same with the tap-in merchant - their bar dey low, so any little thing wey them do is overpraised. If we ask 5 people who should have won that 2014 award, you'll hear 5 different names. That should tell you say una no just wan hear Messi name despite his stats because him standard too high! If another person played exactly what Messi played, had his exact statistics & won the best player award, e for no be problem. But as na Messi, standard too high! If Messi played what Modric played in 2018 & he got the award, everywhere for scatter with serious complain!
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Jokerman(m): 12:57pm On Jun 21, 2019
MrMou:

You just like to yarn crap, my guy? grin Can you provide us with the so-called Castro team of 2014 World Cup tournament?

While we wait for you to provide that, why will Modric's own generate controversy when nothing much is expected of him before? It's same with the tap-in merchant - their bar dey low, so any little thing wey them do is overpraised. If we ask 5 people who should have won that 2014 award, you'll hear 5 different names. That should tell you say una no just wan hear Messi name despite his stats because him standard too high! If another person played exactly what Messi played, had his exact statistics & won the best player award, e for no be problem. But as na Messi, standard too high! If Messi played what Modric played in 2018 & he got the award, everywhere for scatter with serious complain!

Castrol team of the tournament based on WC 2014 statistics

Neuer

Rojo Hummels Silva deVrij

Oscar Kroos Lahm James

Robben Muller

Herein is the link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup

Lol.... Hope you know Ronaldo won the 201

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by MrMou: 1:29pm On Jun 21, 2019
Jokerman:

Castrol team of the tournament based on WC 2014 statistics

Neuer

Rojo Hummels Silva deVrij

Oscar Kroos Lahm James

Robben Muller

Herein is the link: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup

So you would rather accept the opinion of an organization that claims Messi was the FIFTH best forward (not even 5th best player o) in that world cup ahead of FIFA's own award that was based on set criteria? You funny die! grin
If to say FIFA themselves release first 11 & Messi no dey there or FIFA even acknowledge this Castro own as official, na another talk be that.
I could also give you other top sports organizations that rightly included Messi in their 11 of the tournament if you're ready. grin
All of these 11s, including the Castro, are nothing official!
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 21, 2019
Jokerman:

Messi played with great Argentine players and still couldn't win anything

Javier pastore
Walter Samuel
Gabriel heinze
Pablo Aimar
Eva Banega
Estaban Cambiasso
Diego and Gabriel Milito

So what then??
Great players? He was not even a starter in 2006 when majority of these players were playing... Most of them were even retiring at that point!!

Pastors and Banega are below the standard of greatness you are trying to portray..

Who should we blame for Argentina poor runs in 2010, if not the "Bendtner of Coaches" called Diego Maradona!!! He was very poor in leading them. Germany destroyed Argentina 4:0 despite the stars in the team... Maradowho?

Ronaldo is blessed with greater players and greater coaches...

Coach: Felipe Scolari(a world Cup winner), Carlos Querois(a veteran), Fernando Santos( A believer in Eder)

Great teammates: Figo(A Ballon d'or winner), Rui Costa(A legend in Ac Milan), Pedro Pauleta( A prolific goal scorer, a hatrick scorer in the World cup, legend of PSG, Legend of Portugal), Deco( Legend of Porto, Legend of Barcelona), Nuno Gomes( A technical player), Maniche( A great forward, a golden ball winner), Ricardo( a very good goalkeeper), just to mention a few

And this new generation, he has Bernaldo Silva now who is the best player in Man city this season, also the best Portugal player this season. The best player in the UNL.

In Euro 2016 final, the team shows tenacity that the talent of France cannot break. And then that shot from Portuguese Drogba, Eder won the trophy...
They won the trophy when Ronaldo was out!!! That is the best thing that can happen to a team. Ronaldo knows that the teammates are good enough without him. It is just that his presence make them perfect!!!

Now compare it with the disaster of a team playing in the Copa America!!!

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Jokerman(m): 2:52pm On Jun 21, 2019
eni4real:
Great players? He was not even a starter in 2006 when majority of these players were playing... Most of them were even retiring at that point!!

Pastors and Banega are below the standard of greatness you are trying to portray..

Who should we blame for Argentina poor runs in 2010, if not the "Bendtner of Coaches" called Diego Maradona!!! He was very poor in leading them. Germany destroyed Argentina 4:0 despite the stars in the team... Maradowho?

Ronaldo is blessed with greater players and greater coaches...

Coach: Felipe Scolari(a world Cup winner), Carlos Querois(a veteran), Fernando Santos( A believer in Eder)

Great teammates: Figo(A Ballon d'or winner), Rui Costa(A legend in Ac Milan), Pedro Pauleta( A prolific goal scorer, a hatrick scorer in the World cup, legend of PSG, Legend of Portugal), Deco( Legend of Porto, Legend of Barcelona), Nuno Gomes( A technical player), Maniche( A great forward, a golden ball winner), Ricardo( a very good goalkeeper), just to mention a few

And this new generation, he has Bernaldo Silva now who is the best player in Man city this season, also the best Portugal player this season. The best player in the UNL.

In Euro 2016 final, the team shows tenacity that the talent of France cannot break. And then that shot from Portuguese Drogba, Eder won the trophy...
They won the trophy when Ronaldo was out!!! That is the best thing that can happen to a team. Ronaldo knows that the teammates are good enough without him. It is just that his presence make them perfect!!!

Now compare it with the disaster of a team playing in the Copa America!!!

Great Portuguese team that couldn't win the a spoon before Ronaldo

The only Portuguese of note was Figo, and he tried his best

And how dare you put Eder and Drogba in the same sentence?? Eder is another Manucho angry

Argebtina players weren't good and they reached 4 finals Is that bread??

Messi is just the one who fails to step up when needed

You want to compare Bernado silva prime with dimaria, Aguero or even Aimar prime??

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Jokerman(m): 2:54pm On Jun 21, 2019
MrMou:

So you would rather accept the opinion of an organization that claims Messi was the FIFTH best forward (not even 5th best player o) in that world cup ahead of FIFA's own award that was based on set criteria? You funny die! grin
If to say FIFA themselves release first 11 & Messi no dey there or FIFA even acknowledge this Castro own as official, na another talk be that.
I could also give you other top sports organizations that rightly included Messi in their 11 of the tournament if you're ready. grin
All of these 11s, including the Castro, are nothing official!

Oh shut it... FIFA didn't select a team of the tournament that year, and Castrol were the official sponsors of the tournament.. So their ratings holds more water

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jun 21, 2019
Jokerman:

Great Portuguese team that couldn't win the a spoon before Ronaldo

The only Portuguese of note was Figo, and he tried his best

And how dare you put Eder and Drogba in the same sentence?? Eder is another Manucho angry

Argebtina players weren't good and they reached 4 finals Is that bread??

Messi is just the one who fails to step up when needed

You want to compare Bernado silva prime with dimaria, Aguero or even Aimar prime??

You know nothing of Rui Costa, Deco and Pedro Pauleta. They are top class. I mean World class players. Not just a tournament kinda player. Quality!!!

'Portuguese Drogba' or 'Spirit of Eusebio' is just a phrase for the manner with which Eder strike that goal which is the most important goal in Portugal national team history!!!

Don't sound like Ronaldo was not part of the team that lost to Greece in 2004 Euro. They all lost that match. Stop saying a great tram that could not win a spoon before Ronaldo. He was part of them in 2004 and was more or less a starter in the team! The team is not all about Figo. You can check them out on YouTube. They were star studded World class players in all departments!!! I didn't even mention Ricardo Calvaho, young Pepe etc.. ..

Bernaldo Silva is the best player in Man city, best player in UEFA nations League, won 5 trophies this season. Tell me anytime Di Maria and other players you mentioned win as much both individually or in a team. The height of Di Maria was UCL 2014, he did well in the World cup of 2014 too but was handicapped by injury in the final. May be he was unlucky tho. No Eder to give him the trophy on the sideline. Gonzalo Higuain could not do the Gotze or the Sunday Mba cool

1 Like

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by MrMou: 4:36pm On Jun 21, 2019
Jokerman:

Oh shut it... FIFA didn't select a team of the tournament that year, and Castrol were the official sponsors of the tournament.. So their ratings holds more water
And FIFA told you their ratings hold more water that's why FIFA acknowledged it & put it on their website, & made Toni Kroos who Castrol considered World Cup best player the Golden Ball winner, ba?
So because they sponsored the World Cup, it makes anything they dish out official without FIFA needing to acknowledge it, ba? Do you think you're talking to your fellow sycophants of the tap-in merchant who can't think properly? grin
FIFA wey get World Cup say this is my best player, you say no. Instead ,you're trying to base your claim of why you don't agree with FIFA's choice on a mere FIFA sponsor's choice when FIFA themselves don tell you wetin you need to know? Can you hear yourself? grin

Let's even help you to make the so called Castrol 11 official, even as I never still dish out Messi WC stats, do you also believe Benzema had a better World Cup than Messi as claimed by the Castrol? Do you also believe Messi was the FIFTH best forward (not player) in 2014 World Cup as claimed by the Castro? Simple answers please!
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by senatepresido: 5:14pm On Jun 21, 2019
GoTV:
In life you can't have it all. Life itself is full of up and down moments. As great as Ronaldo Delima who won many trophies with Brazil including World Cup, he couldn't win the Champions League which players like Daniel sturridge won recently despite playing for almighty Madrid filled with super stars. Jay Jay okocha as good as he was never won the African footballer of the year award which fringe players like Adebayor and El-hadji diouf won.

Many of you trolling messi's predicament with Argentina are doing so due to high expectations and unimaginable standards he sets for himself. He's a victim of his brilliance no doubt but never forget winning trophies is not exclusive to a player effort. Football is a team sport but i wonder why you all blame messi when he has been unfortunate to be with paper weight team mates. An injured Ronaldo won the Euro cup due to the fighting spirit of the Portuguese players (credit to Eder) after Ronaldo led them to finals with his goals. Same as the recent nations league which guedes delivered and Bernardo silva emerged best player.

Ronaldo is the arrow head of the Portuguese team no doubt but his team mates deliver when he's not in charge, unlike messi whose team mates are big names on paper but play terribly despite his efforts to inspire them to glory. Higuain missed 3 decisive one on one chances against Germany in 2014 finals before gotze scored, chances fringe players like guedes and Eder converted to win Ronaldo the international trophies you all troll about. Everything in Argentine football must not be delivered by messi. It's a games of 11 players so why place the burden on only messi as if Portugal fields only Ronaldo against other teams? When Elder and guedes scored to win the trophy when it mattered most, you guys ignore their efforts and give all praises to Ronaldo. When Argentina team plays badly even if defenders scored own goal all blame goes to messi. Haba guys, what level of hypocrisy?

This is not to defend or absorb messi of his involvement in the failure of the Argentine's team to win a major afterall he missed a penalty against chile in previous Copa finals, but i think we are too harsh on him with unreasonable criticisms.

I hope Majority of you guys criticizing him have achieved all you desire in life? I hope there is nothing again you which to achieve or conquer? Can you have it all in life? No. Even Atiku with all his billions stills dreams of being a president. You can't have it all. Ronaldo is fortunate to be in a team with winning mentality, unlike messi. Despite all Cristiano Ronaldo has won in his career, he would also wish to have a world cup medal which players like Giroud won without scoring a goal. There is always something left to chase and achieve. Despite all this challenges It doesn't dispute the fact that messi is indeed amongst the greatest players to play the game.

Had he naturalized to spain like diego Costa during their golden era of winning euros and world cup, this debate of who the greatest is would have been buried. Even if Argentina wins this year's copa America, you Ronaldo fans will still troll messi to win another international trophy to match Ronaldo's two. Nothing messi does will ever satisfy you people.

He's a victim of his brillance. Simple
May God richly bless you,
May you not be a victim of your intelligence,
May time and tide favour,
May what you desire come to you,
You will not be a victim of Circumstance.

2 Likes

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by maxwell530(m): 2:16am On Jun 22, 2019
safarigirl:

Messi fans are selling the story that he is a football god, are they not? A god that constantly fails? Do you know how many times Messi haa failed the Argentine team? Was he not the one that missed a penalty at the Copa America finals against Chile and then abandoned the team after he cost them the cup? On that alone, they ought to have exiled him from the team.

He should learn to step up when it matters, he always bottles important games. In Barcelona, Neymar eas saving his asss at some points, and later Suarez, in Argentina, the world can see him better. This is the football god that chooses when to step up and when to leave things to his team mates.
Lol why is the same Neymar not saving his own ass at PSG? The Neymar that Eden Hazard poo on at World cup in Russia. grin. If Ronaldo was that spectacular, how come he couldn't make ucl final at Madrid in his first 4 years even tho he had Ramos, Xabi Alonso, Ozil, Robben, Dimaria, Kaka, Higuain.

Until you realize nobody wins all, even the Maradona,Pele,De Lima of this World didn't win champions league,what players like sturidge,Shakiri,Pedro won more than once.
If Ronaldo wins all the time, he shouldn't have had just 2 La liga trophies in 9years at Madrid, He should've led Portugal to many world cups final, he should have done something against Ajax,maybe also defend so as to prevent those Ajax goals from entering the net.

Talk of bailing someone ass,Gareth Bale have scored in ucl final for Madrid than Ronaldo.

If Messi was not that good in Argentina, how come he's their all time highest goal scorer? The goals he take beat maradona for Argentina no be small,68 to 34 No be beans. How many football legends get to score Up to 60 goals for their country? The likes of great individual players like DE Lima Ronaldo,Ronaldinho,Kaka,Henry,Raul,Zidane, Inzaghi couldn't score upto what Messi scored in Argentina shirt for their various countries, yet he's still a one club player oh.

Stupidity is when someone imagine Messi will fail in a league where Salah, Hazard, Mahrez,Kante, Sterling were best players.Gareth Bale that was twice best player in epl is yet to win La liga best player after 6 years.
Is it French ligue 1 where Mbappe was best player?where Nicolas Pepe, Oliver Giroud, michy batshuayi were scoring goals for fun?
Abi it's Italy where Quagiriella,Piatek, belotti, icardi were highest goal scorers?

I laugh in Baku grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Nobody: 2:09am On Jun 24, 2019
RevT1:

Abysmal season with Juventus?
Bros, u are not feeling fine o!!
I'm talking about individual performance here, not team performance. Compared to his time in Madrid, His performance this season for Juventus is below par
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Nobody: 2:11am On Jun 24, 2019
Beverlyjean:

Messi is the one controlling that team... He doesn't want anyone to outperform him....he knows players like dybala, aguero and icardi will easily outshine him... That's y he preferred the dead higuain over these players cause he always knew higuain was never technically sound unlike the others mentioned
What kinda mumu statement is this? why haven't they outshine him in their respective clubs?
Nawa for una oooo
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Beverlyjean(f): 2:12am On Jun 24, 2019
fighal:
What kinda mumu statement is this? why haven't they outshine him in their respective clubs?
Nawa for una oooo

But they outshined him tonight... Aguero a goal... Dybala an assist... Messi no contribution
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Nobody: 2:13am On Jun 24, 2019
safarigirl:
I don't rate anyone who makes such asinine comments. Only uneducated louts adduce every criricism to an imaginary 'hatred'
it is not criticism, your is hatred.. I believe your reason for following the Argentina team is to see Messi fail
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Nobody: 2:14am On Jun 24, 2019
Equity15:
what is your definition of abysmal?
The definition of abysmal
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Nobody: 2:27am On Jun 24, 2019
Beverlyjean:

But they outshined him tonight... Aguero a goal... Dybala an assist... Messi no contribution
You are funny oooooooo.... I thought your argument was reasonable at first.. That means we can say Eder outshines Ronaldo in the Portugal team because he scored in the final and Ronaldo didn't. or we could also say Benzema outshines Ronaldo in the Champions league because he scored in the final but Ronaldo didn't...
Abeg go sleep, which kind omomo logic you dey use sef?
Everyone knows a player can't carry the day in every match, but should we forget about his brilliant performances in most games because he didn't stand out in a few games?
what do you even mean by "He doesn't want Aguero and Dyabala to outshine him"?
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Beverlyjean(f): 7:16am On Jun 24, 2019
fighal:
You are funny oooooooo.... I thought your argument was reasonable at first.. That means we can say Eder outshines Ronaldo in the Portugal team because he scored in the final and Ronaldo didn't. or we could also say Benzema outshines Ronaldo in the Champions league because he scored in the final but Ronaldo didn't...
Everyone knows a player can't carry the day in every match, but should we forget about his brilliant performances in most games because he didn't stand out in a few games?

But this is what u Messi fan fools have been saying all along so deal with it... Messi is finally chased from attack to midfield and Argentina finally wins... Aguero saved his ass
Re: Argentina 1-1 Paraguay: Messi Goal Not Enough As Albiceleste Still On Bottom by Beverlyjean(f): 7:20am On Jun 24, 2019
fighal:

Shey u guys said the team is shitty and Messi is the only one that can play football... Y dint he contribute to victory... Thanks to aguero Martinez and dybala... Messi don fall Una hand. grin

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Throwback Photos Of Nigerian Football Legends / Sunday Oliseh Appointed Into Fifa's Technical Department / Messi And Ronaldo Omitted From Uefa Men’s Poty Nominations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.