Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,623 members, 7,823,746 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? (35571 Views)

Motunrayo Ajia: Covenant University CGPA 5.0, All Time Best Graduating Student / 10 Most Influential Books Of All Time / Plato’s Notion Of Philosopher King, And Nigerian Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Vboi: 8:11am On Jun 22, 2019
In as much as I am concerned, Socrates is the most famous and best philosopher mankind has seen

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Scandinavian02: 8:11am On Jun 22, 2019
Ultimus:

God is dead . Don't be mistaken..

Thanks
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by TundeeednuT: 8:11am On Jun 22, 2019
Garrieveryday:

Which site is quora?
quora.com
Very educative and informative.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by eseveli(m): 8:11am On Jun 22, 2019
Anikulapo
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by InvertedHammer: 8:12am On Jun 22, 2019
/
None of them pales in comparison to a man who was rich and lost it all. Such a man is a walking philosophy.

/
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by linqzs: 8:12am On Jun 22, 2019
omoadeleye:

Cause it was documented in the holy book

Lol.. you sef!
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Garrieveryday: 8:15am On Jun 22, 2019
TundeeednuT:
quora.com Very educative and informative.
OK. Will check it out.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by CanadaOrBust: 8:15am On Jun 22, 2019
hopefulLandlord:
people won't die for what they know to be "a lie" but history is littered with several instances of people suffering and/or dying for beliefs which turned out to be false, deceptive, poorly understood etc

examples are the jihadists but maybe that's a low hanging fruit or is overused so let's use other examples of people dying for what we now know to be a lie

German soldiers suffered and died during World War 2 because of the belief that they were the "master race" and its right to conquer other (inferior race) nations for more lands

39 members of heavensgate committed suicide thinking a comet would take them to their holy bliss in 1997

76 humans died in Texas cuz they believed that David Koresh was a true prophet of god

over 900 people killed themselves because they believed Jim Jones

The Japanese committed suicide rather than be captured cuz they believed they'll be tortured heavily by the Americans

amongst many other instances of people dying for what we know are lies, people kill themselves everyday for what they "know its true" even though its totally not true

But can’t u see how those things disappeared - one time occurrences. If any of them lasted 2000 years and people still willing to die for them today, I’d believe it. And so should u

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by idid: 8:15am On Jun 22, 2019
Sholaco:
So are u saying this orunmila invented computer? This your brother orunmila is the same as pythagoras theorem

The knowledge is out there. Orunmila's 16 binary Ifa Corpus is the basis of all mathematics and that has been proven. It existed was before pytagoras theorem. Pytagoras theorem is same as Mungo Park discovered Africa...the kind of foolish knowledge that Western education impact in us...

Look at this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VFXbMxyyS0

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Chubhie: 8:20am On Jun 22, 2019
Man can will nothing unless he has first understood that he must count on no one but himself; that he is alone, abandoned on earth in the midst of his infinite responsibilities, without help, with no other aim than the one he sets himself, with no other destiny than the one he forges for himself on this earth.
― Jean-Paul Sartre

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.
__Friedrich Nietzsche

The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them.
― Karl Marx

I put these three wise men on audio tape and get high all day long.... I agree that in those moments, i was actively a certified madman if clinically examined cos of the giggling. When i'm asked what is sweeter than sex, i point to these moments.....

4 Likes

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Ubdavis(m): 8:21am On Jun 22, 2019
I don't knw but it can never be Aristotle, all he did was to copy people's work without references or any form of acknowledgement... He was a thief .
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Sholaco: 8:23am On Jun 22, 2019
idid:

The knowledge is out there. Orunmila's 16 binary Ifa Corpus is the basis of all mathematics and that has been proven. It existed was before pytagoras theorem. Pytagoras theorem is same as Mungo Park discovered Africa...the kind of foolish knowledge that Western education impact in us...

Look at this video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VFXbMxyyS0
Baba thank you,learning is a continuous process
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by RemiOAjayi: 8:24am On Jun 22, 2019
WiLdFLame:
ORUNMILA IS A GREAT PHILOSOPHER TOO

I agreed with you. Ohun a ni la nan ni. This is the battle professor Sofia Abosede fought till she was called home. She believed Orunmila is the greatest philosopher of all times. And I concur.

Anyone that disagree should study IFA

3 Likes

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 22, 2019
Sholaco:
a prophet is different from philosophers

A prophet can be a philosophy, it all depends on the method he uses to administer his teachings.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Xisnin(m): 8:24am On Jun 22, 2019
Scandinavian02:

Socrates had no single paper so most philosophers found it difficult to accept his existence.
Stop making an unfounded statement.
Provide evidence for the bold.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by ndaeyagi: 8:25am On Jun 22, 2019
[quote author=Scandinavian02 post=79560927]

Was it not Friedrich Nietzsche that said God is Mad?
No Friedrich Nietzsche was the one who said God is dead.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Chubhie: 8:26am On Jun 22, 2019
SendAbroad:
Nigerian version: Fela Anikulapo.
The Great Awo. Awo as a philosopher by Akin Makinde is a great read.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Iziquiel(m): 8:27am On Jun 22, 2019
Fuqman:
The Europeans or Greeks can go to hell. Everything they knew was copied from ancient Egyptians. They're not the father of this or the first in that. The great Imhoptep, whom Greeks equated with the demi-god of healing Asclepius and was even worshipped. His profound knowledge of impact was so great, it could not measured with anyone.

However, they're other great ancient Egyptians philosophers named.. Ptahhotep, and Amenhotep. 
The West have always been criminals from time immemorial, they stole all their knowledge from ancient Egypt yet known of them has ever acknowledged the contributions of ancient Egyptians philosophers.
So, many people don't know that Socrates and even Thales of Miletus who is said to be the father of Philosophy/Geometry schooled in Egypt(The Mystery School). Documents on Law, Medicine, philosophy etc were looted from Egypt after Alexander invaded Egypt.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Olajah81: 8:27am On Jun 22, 2019
Sheunma:
ORUNMILA BARA AGBONIREGUN

RENE DESCARTE

Oil dey ur head..
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by tunary(m): 8:30am On Jun 22, 2019
Stephani3e:
Don't you have family members that wants to get rich?
You tell am well
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 8:30am On Jun 22, 2019
Sun Tzu
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by RemiOAjayi: 8:31am On Jun 22, 2019
AreaFada2:
Jesus was the greatest philosopher.

In Western philosophy Plato had the widest range of philosophical ideas and influence. Including democracy.

But I will chose Socrates as the greatest. Much of Plato's work was popularising the works of Socrates. Basically Platonic Sacrates.

Aristotle is very much close.

Pythagoras' works especially on religion is not to be underestimated. Considering that he preceded most others.

Trying to compare Kant, Hume and later philosophers with classical philosophers is very difficult.

Jesus is not a philosopher please! He is the truth. Whatever u can thing of this world came from Him. He should never be compared with a mortal beings

2 Likes

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Sholaco: 8:31am On Jun 22, 2019
msmon:
Prophet Mohammed... Peace be upon him! I have never seen anyone see more of the future than him. He's very philosophical in sayings and action during his time.

He's also the greatest leader of all time, greater than Alexander the great.
A prophet is different from a philosopher, A philosopher relies on his intellect to come up with a solution Whereas,A prophet relies on God to provide a conclusion.....Philosopher is a human with an intellectual capacity and is limited in his or her scope of thinking, reason and drawing conclusions

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Worksunlimited: 8:38am On Jun 22, 2019
fedrick901:
Who are the greatest philosophers Of all Time? let us discuss

Philosophy has shaped the world. From science to politics, the great philosophers challenged the ways that we see things. And while you probably know many famous Greek philosophers, the list of philosophers is much longer than that.
From unknown to famous philosophers, get ready for a trip through time because they are the 5 Greatest Philosophers Who Ever Lived!

Aristotle

A student of Plato in Ancient Greece, Aristotle contributed to numerous areas including metaphysics, logic, poetry, linguistics, and government. He is one of the most well-known philosophers in history.

Immanuel Kant

Born in Germany, Kant is well known for his ideas about perception. He argued that we cannot know what the world is really like (noumenal world). We can only know what we perceive the world to be like (phenomenal world). Basically, we can’t know whether or not everything is just one big Matrix.

Plato

As you have already seen, Plato was Aristotle’s teacher, and he is famous for starting the Academy in Athens. This was the first institution of higher learning in the Western world.

Confucius

A Chinese philosopher who lived about 500 BC, he focused on relationships and how the family was important and necessary to society. His views shaped later Chinese thought and led to what is now called Confucianism

David Hume

A Scottish philosopher, Hume was a strong skeptic and empiricist. He claimed that our beliefs don’t come from our reason but rather from our feelings and ideas of how the world should be. In fact, Kant (#24) got many of his ideas from Hume.

Source:-https://porumba.com/17-greatest-philosophers-of-all-time/

No Socrates, No Marcus Aurelius; to mention a few highly revered and often quoted philosophers bad deep thinkers.

You haven't read deep into the world of philosophy it seems.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Bunique: 8:39am On Jun 22, 2019
Plato and Aristotle. those guys wrote on virtually every subject.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Worksunlimited: 8:40am On Jun 22, 2019
RexTramadol1:

Socrates is a fictional figure

But I'll say Plato is the smartest

Aristotle comes close

Stop taking that thing you are on.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by RemiOAjayi: 8:41am On Jun 22, 2019
Sholaco:
So are u saying this orunmila invented computer? This your brother orunmila is the same as pythagoras theorem

Well we know that IFA communicates in binary which is the language of computer. Zero and one is the langauge... Study it u will know that the greatest of all philosophers is Orunmila

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by goslowgoslow(m): 8:43am On Jun 22, 2019
For me na Fela
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by NextBuhari: 8:43am On Jun 22, 2019
Every philosopher reflects in his ideas, the realities of his time. Agreeing that these are the greatest philosophers of all times shows that you're a victim of European/Western social science imperialism.

1 Like

Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Myself2(m): 8:43am On Jun 22, 2019
judgementyard:
Jesud christm "Man must not live by bread alone....."

grin grin grin
Funny guy
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by bigiyaro(m): 8:46am On Jun 22, 2019
msmon:
Prophet Mohammed... Peace be upon him! I have never seen anyone see more of the future than him. He's very philosophical in sayings and action during his time.

He's also the greatest leader of all time, greater than Alexander the great.
over 300 wars nor b beans.
Re: Who is The Greatest Philosopher Of All Time? by Nobody: 8:46am On Jun 22, 2019
hopefulLandlord:
https://www.nairaland.com/3206708/reasons-scholars-know-jesus-christ

Here comes the abortion guy again. grin grin grin

This time around he has turned himself to a proxy to reply me on the behalf of CosmicPhoenix. cheesy

More often, i see more nairalanders acting as proxies these days. You quote someone, he never replies, someone else replies you.

Whichever way, I may find time to go through the link but i would have preferred few sentences in a mention like this rather than going through some unnecessarily lengthy thread, i don't think i gat that time.
If you can do the former i stated, that will be ok. because i may never read the long shiiit on that link you sent.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Ariyibi Ayomide...Eye Witness Account On Unilag Student Committing Suicide / SCIENCE: Ways To Repel, Prevent Or Kill Snakes. / Can Date Of Birth On WAEC Be Corrected?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.