Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,176 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:20 PM

Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? (44662 Views)

Here Is The Wicked Condition Someone Gave Before He Connects Me To This 80K Job. / Can One Rent An Apartment Of 250k Per Annum With 80k Job? / Is Going To London To Hustle Better Than An 80k Job In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by xest(m): 11:30am On Jun 24, 2019
Offpoint1:
Why not, your 3 months salary don cover up the rent
him go dey eat sand abi?
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by phetty(m): 1:56pm On Jun 24, 2019
Interesting discussion!

Got a job in Lagos - office is located around the Anthony pedestrian bridge.

Which areas do you guys think is best to consider when I want to get my accommodation?

And what are the likely costs to rent a one bedroom flat (I mean a room and parlour with kitchen, bathroom, and toilet) in those areas?

I would appreciate your responses as they would help me in making sound financial calculations. Thanks
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by celeiyke: 2:25pm On Jun 24, 2019
Skybeach1:
Maybe you work in one interior village like that, or you carry your house from your village to the place of work.

shocked shocked shocked
Yes I stay in Ibadan
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by fireback: 2:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
Hotfreezers:

Oga, I'm into real estate in Lagos. I'm not an agent o, I represent buyers in all parts of Lagos. Show me where in Ajah they sell a plot for 1.6M.

Is it Ado Road, Langbasa or Badore?
Even after Ajah to Eleko, you won't see legit plot for 1.6M that you're claiming to have a plot for 400K.

Besides sef, anybody building quarter plot has no business building a house. Do you know that even if your land has a C of O, anything less than 300sqm, the person can't get Governor's Consent in Lagos? That's why their applications spend donkey years in Alausa.

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by eyinola: 2:26pm On Jun 24, 2019
ugo4u:

Abulegba
That's is a very very cheap area.. Come to yaba or surulere and know how far
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Heavance(m): 3:52pm On Jun 24, 2019
Florblu:
For people saying his rent shouldn't exceed an 100k, can you please show me where to rent a comfortable room for 100k in LAGOS. If you mention Ipaja, Ayobo, Mowe, Ibafo, etc I will stone you because he will end up spending his money on transport fare and even drugs to maintain his health.

When people ask for questions, let's be realistic. Op can rent a room of 200k as long as he is ready to safe heavily. He will need to cut out lots of irrelevant expenses and double his effort in getting a better job or at least start s side hustle.
I never wanted to comment, but then realized three things about majority of those dishing unrealistic things.
1. They have no idea of the kind of figure people pay as rent in Lagos in at least average environment... Maybe they want the op to go to ogijo, mowe, or another state.

2. They actually live outside Lagos.

3. I seriously believe they are exactly those people who easily upload photos they take in rest rooms of malls, banks etc......... But they don't want that kind of comfort in their homes.

You will hardly get a reasonable place for 350k as it is right now.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Hotfreezers: 4:05pm On Jun 24, 2019
phetty:
Interesting discussion!

Which areas do you guys think is best to consider when I want to get my accommodation?

And what are the likely costs to rent a one bedroom flat (I mean a room and parlour with kitchen, bathroom, and toilet) in those areas?

I would appreciate your responses as they would help me in making sound financial calculations. Thanks

How much do you earn and what is your budget for rent?
Let's start from there.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Gideonmi(m): 4:54pm On Jun 24, 2019
Gideonmi:
There is no certain rule to house rent, there are lot of criteria to it. Proximity to your place of work, the nature of your job, and level of desired comfort of the person. I wish i can type more but i don late for Sunday school. cheers.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Gerrard59(m): 10:43pm On Jun 24, 2019
studentofTruth:

People opt for a house because it's one of the most secure investment in Nigeria. We that started doing NSE from University days know that buying shares is out of it. What they manipulate there is unimaginable. imagine someone that that put that10m in Transcorp since 2007 @#8 per share and 12 years later, it's @#1.2 per share. Even a piece of fallow land bought in 2007 would worth more than 15m by now (being conservative)

shocked

I think the rule is never investing in companies whose majority shareholders and directors are Nigerians. Although, Dangote and some banks are
exceptions.

BTW, interesting thread. Yet another reason why Nigerians should hold their leaders accountable and demand for their rights. An efficient transport system and safe neighbourhood will solve most of the peripheral issues associated with renting in Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by LeoFish92(m): 8:25am On Jun 25, 2019
vivalavida:
One thing to consider is comfort,safety and proximity to the office.l earn in the same region as the OP. I earn 96k. But truth be told I can't see myself living in a face me I face u apartment. I took a one bedroom apartment in an area close to my office where there is security. Its a gated estate with a police station close by and constant power supply.I pay 200k as rent. Transportation to and fro the office is #100 daily. Lunch is served free at work.So those saying nonsense are people who don't value their safety and comfort.what if while saving that money and living in an insecure place,all those Badoo boys in ikorodu use that their stone and smash Ur head in the night?
Abeg oo

I have a colleague that stays in one far away place like that and lives in a face me I face u. He earns a bit above hundred. He pays close to #2500 weekly as transportation everyday. The stress no be here for the guy. Last week he was doing the calculations and found he spends about #125,000 yearly as transportation. Some days the transport fare is higher sef. He gets home late and by 4am he is awake already. I start my day around 6.45am and still get to the office before 7.30am as I don't encounter any form of traffic to and fro the office.
So there are plenty things to consider when renting a place biko

Where do you work?
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by LeoFish92(m): 8:28am On Jun 25, 2019
tintingz:

I think some people don't consider the environment they should live which really matters.

Honestly, I'm looking for a house now. A one room self-con.
I saw one, a beautiful new house, well tiled and cheap at 108k per year. But the environment is nothing to write home about. I simply can't live there. Environment matters a lot to me

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by vivalavida(m): 8:59am On Jun 25, 2019
LeoFish92:

Where do you work?
How is that part of the discussion?
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by LeoFish92(m): 12:03pm On Jun 25, 2019
vivalavida:

How is that part of the discussion?

Apologies for asking.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by bahlow87(m): 1:26pm On Jun 25, 2019
LeoFish92:

Honestly, I'm looking for a house now. A one room self-con.
I saw one, a beautiful new house, well tiled and cheap at 108k per year. But the environment is nothing to write home about. I simply can't live there. Environment matters a lot to me
where is your preferred location? I have a room self contain in awoyay.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by LeoFish92(m): 1:31pm On Jun 25, 2019
bahlow87:

where is your preferred location? I have a room self contain in awoyay.

Lol, I live in Enugu.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by bahlow87(m): 2:31pm On Jun 25, 2019
LeoFish92:

Lol, I live in Enugu.
Enguy to Lagos far o....lol.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 26, 2019
engrkaz:
This issue ehn: I earn close to 300 and my wife earns just below 140. Our house rent is about 700k. We live fine no doubt but deep down me, I know I still struggle to do alot of things. My kids sch fees in a year is about 500k (2 daughters), not even the best sch in my hood o.I never even reason to buy clothes for myself in the past 2 years. We live in Abuja. I know I can stay in a cheaper accommodation but the rent isn’t as important as my family safety biko. I know one day, I go become director and my salary and DTAs will be enough to buy/build better house for ABUJA. I still dey wait FMBN and yeye infinity homes and savings to deliver my 3 bedroom carcass in suncity.
Where in abuja?
Looking for a job here in abj if you link me, I dont mind..
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by engrkaz(m): 1:54pm On Jun 26, 2019
Not linking up with a serial killer. My family’s safety is so important to me
serialkilla:

Where in abuja?
Looking for a job here in abj if you link me, I dont mind..
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 26, 2019
Bestinstinct:

Don't mind them jare. Was dodging expensive rent in Abuja town then got a descent and cheaper rent in Mararaba/Nyanya but the main issue is that I spend 30-35k on fueling every month coupled with the stress. Moving back to town is the next goal aswear.
This is what some people fail to understand...the proximity of where you reside and where you work matters a lot...meanwhile I'm in abuja and looking for a job..if they is opening please hit a brother up on 07061221512.
Thanks..
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jun 26, 2019
RealGOAT:
If the house is close to your work place go for it. If you decide to go for a house of 100k and it's far to your workplace, you will spend almost the same extra 100k on transportation alone.
Also consider your health and due to the stress of transporting to and fro from a long distance.
When I was a bachelor and about getting married, I rented a 2bd flat for 120k, no borehole water and electricity is a big problem, sometimes 4 hours in a day. There is another area in the same city where a 2bd flat is 220-250k a year. Electricity is better bcus they normally get 15- 20 hrs of electricity a day with borehole water.
The proximity to work place is difference of 20mins drive.
To cut the long story short, after spending 4 yrs in my 120k flat then married with a kid, I discovered that the amount I spent on fueling my gen just to keep my freezer cool and also the amount I spent on water for my tank yearly was 110k.
So check well before deciding.
Nice one..
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 10:18am On Jun 27, 2019
AirstarKane:

Please do you know about lands in Abuja,I want to buy even if it is something small. So confused with everyone posing as realtors these days.
it depends on where you want to be and your budget...
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 10:19am On Jun 27, 2019
frozen70:
Well I don't think it's going to work out

You will just be working like an elephant and living like an ant because that rent ❗, anytime you renew it, you start saving for another

That is called spinning
And the circle goes on and on..
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 10:23am On Jun 27, 2019
[quote author=ibechris post=79599625][/quote]
It depends on your budget...I know someone that is into lands here in abuja...if your interested just let me know...
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 27, 2019
Skiilashi:
When I was earning around 80k per month some years back, I rented a self con for 100k per annum around ikosi ketu. I paid my rent conveniently annually. Anything above 100k on annual rent on an 80k salary will kill u .remember there are other expenses

Now i earn allitle above 500k monthly and pay 300k annually for a mini flat.

Developing my own property somewhere around.

The funny aspect is that,at my free time,I still drive uber to make more money with my car. (Some riders wey no reach anywhere treat me badly atimes ,I maintain my cool ,collect my money and move ahead.)

Guy hustle now oh!!!!

You need a side hustle to make it quickly.
Nice one bro...if your in abj a brother needs a job to make a leaving..I will appreciate if you can be of help...
You can reach me on 07061221512..
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 10:38am On Jun 27, 2019
RealGOAT:
If the house is close to your work place go for it. If you decide to go for a house of 100k and it's far to your workplace, you will spend almost the same extra 100k on transportation alone.
Also consider your health and due to the stress of transporting to and fro from a long distance.
When I was a bachelor and about getting married, I rented a 2bd flat for 120k, no borehole water and electricity is a big problem, sometimes 4 hours in a day. There is another area in the same city where a 2bd flat is 220-250k a year. Electricity is better bcus they normally get 15- 20 hrs of electricity a day with borehole water.
The proximity to work place is difference of 20mins drive.
To cut the long story short, after spending 4 yrs in my 120k flat then married with a kid, I discovered that the amount I spent on fueling my gen just to keep my freezer cool and also the amount I spent on water for my tank yearly was 110k.
So check well before deciding.

Please this 220k -250k 2bed flat, where in Lagos?
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 27, 2019
stanliwise:
I mean I use to think that not spending money means you were gonna be rich. But then some time in my life I read Ben carson gifted hands when he mentioned how his mum told them of how rich men buys and long lasting quality clothes because they can't afford to continue buying cheaper cloths that don't last. This gave me a reflection of how money spent well is better than money being saved, all in the name that we don't have. infact it is when you don't have you have to start buying long lasting asset.
A change in mindset lead to changes in all ramifications for me, now I make sure I buy qualification phones, clothes, and books generally. Good thing is, it has saved me from a lot of spending. People get shocked wen I try to buy e.g my slippers and shoes even as far as amazon or even earpiece directly from Apple store but truth is most of my electronics and things last very long, although I buy Nigerian things alot especially when the quality is ok.
Infact my 8k apple earpiece is 14 month right now. And some of my shoes are 3+ years right now.
I feel like I know how to become and leave rich. I plan to invest in quality in my talent as I have been doing and fact is I am becoming more productive with time.
Quality is Quality, being rich is a mindset. I have start applying this principle in many things I do and now I can say I am living a more comfortable and less expensive live.
Buy big assest isn't the idea, buying last longing and useful asset is the key to saving. Poverty mentality makes people shoot themselves when they opt for cheaper product they know they would need for a long time, or buy bad products that the overhead maintainance and replacement would cause more in the long run. This is my story.
Nice piece bro...I will definitely get tat book...thanks once again...
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 11:07am On Jun 27, 2019
stanliwise:
Hmm different strokes I guess.
Some clothes I bought where least 3k but guess what I hardly buy new clothes because when you have original clothes that don't wash easily, you will enjoy it, I have to dash out some because it is too old and maybe short. When I bought a jean at a store for about 6k since I was referred by a friend that is was original Us stock jean and another second hand london used 4k, it looked stupid, 10k for two jeans but bro I still rock those jean till today and their color seem to ve getting brighter. The lesson is not to live expensive life but to buy long lasting things, learn long lasting skills, it's all rounder.
Although cheap things come handy when it is just for use and dispose. I agree with that part.
Although there is no manual to live life, different situations and ideologies to pick from.
peace.
'Long lasting skill'? Please throw more light....
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jun 27, 2019
engrkaz:
Not linking up with a serial killer. My family’s safety is so important to me
Just a monicker bro...
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by stanliwise(m): 4:17pm On Jun 27, 2019

'Long lasting skill'? Please throw more light....
Learn a professional skill that is important in the society, although it should be based on passion but it such skill should have a place in future times to come. spend your youth days to learn that will aid you for a long time.
Short term skill should also come handy to aid you tackle some little challenges on your way.

long term skill e.g
Mental excellence in your profession: doctor, lawyer etc
Social intelligence.
spiritual fitness.
Strong personal hygiene and living healthy.
carisma etc
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 5:52pm On Jun 27, 2019
fireback:

100k rent swamp??. Pls is alen avenue at ikeja lagos a swamp? Cos I have a friend who lives there and he's paying 80k/yr for a room selfcon.

Baba, ask that your friend when he rented that apartment. From 2016 ,you can't get a decent self contain at ikeja for less than #250k.
My neighbor is an agent.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 27, 2019
phetty:
Interesting discussion!

Maryland (cost of renting 1bedroom flat at Mende#450k, Arowojobe estate #600k ,Anthony #350k ,ojota, Ogba, Berger are very close to Anthony)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Share Your Remote Job/ Hustle / Job Interview Questions And Excellent Sample Responses / A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.