Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,958 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:50 PM

Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? (44599 Views)

Here Is The Wicked Condition Someone Gave Before He Connects Me To This 80K Job. / Can One Rent An Apartment Of 250k Per Annum With 80k Job? / Is Going To London To Hustle Better Than An 80k Job In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by akaahs(m): 4:09pm On Jun 23, 2019
Florblu:
For people saying his rent shouldn't exceed an 100k, can you please show me where to rent a comfortable room for 100k in LAGOS. If you mention Ipaja, Ayobo, Mowe, Ibafo, etc I will stone you because he will end up spending his money on transport fare and even drugs to maintain his health.

When people ask for questions, let's be realistic. Op can rent a room of 200k as long as he is ready to safe heavily. He will need to cut out lots of irrelevant expenses and double his effort in getting a better job or at least start s side hustle.
Apart from that, there are some companies or government agencies that don't even touch their salaries only depends on their bonuses and other incentives.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by delishpot: 4:22pm On Jun 23, 2019
Gentlewarrior1:

Haba bros

One month salary bigger than your 1year rent

Hmm. U dey mean o. And you have a smart move but have it in mind that sometimes getting a personal house might be a liability. Its always an asset no doubt but without the right setup and money e fit no favour u o.

I am saying this because i know someone who suffered himself did this same method just like you just because he was fantasicing a getting a beautiful house. He went through all that stress and got the house.

2 years later unfortunately lost his job and and had to sell that house.

Imagine if he did not invest in that house to begin with? If he was paying rent he would have lost his accommodation plus no asset to fall back on. So the house saved his arse in the end. I stand with building your own if you can afford it.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nightking04(m): 4:26pm On Jun 23, 2019
Gentlewarrior1:

Haba bros

One month salary bigger than your 1year rent

Hmm. U dey mean o. And you have a smart move but have it in mind that sometimes getting a personal house might be a liability. Its always an asset no doubt but without the right setup and money e fit no favour u o.

I am saying this because i know someone who suffered himself did this same method just like you just because he was fantasicing a getting a beautiful house. He went through all that stress and got the house.

2 years later unfortunately lost his job and and had to sell that house.

@princeking2
Sometimes rent is not such a bad thing. No be must to be landlord attimes. Having cash and a steady source of income is the shit. So that even when you finally get a house you have nothing to worry about
So how did he pay rent without a job?
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nopanties: 4:29pm On Jun 23, 2019
Hotfreezers:

You're more dumb than that clown.
I said he shouldn't generalise and you're jumping in to type nonsense.

For you and that poster, a car may be an avoidable luxury but for many others, what you deem a luxury can improve your earnings and make you live better and earn more.

I no know whether them use sufferhead swear for una.
I swear ur brain na epa
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by mechanics(m): 4:55pm On Jun 23, 2019
It depends if you have a side business, if not, not wise at all.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by sunday0707(m): 5:10pm On Jun 23, 2019
obinnawhyte:

Please where is your suppose house located and what is the proximity to your work place. If you're to rent it out, please how much is the cost of renting house there and if really cheap I guess your present rented house should be in the same area you're building your house else I will be pushed to say you built the house in a very remote area and going to work from there if you finally move in will definitely cost you more in future. Proper planning is the key. If the OP also say his salary is 40k I swear you'll still see people telling him to rent a house under the bridge and save up to build his own house from 40k salary....Confused people everywhere
the house I'm building is about 10minutes drive to my workplace, while the place I live now is about 8 to 10 minutes drive as well though not the same area but it's the state capital
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Adeyemismith(m): 5:10pm On Jun 23, 2019
the gods are involved
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by chukzyfcbb: 5:18pm On Jun 23, 2019
Don't spend more than 30% of your income on rent says the financial experts.

30% of your annual salary is 240k, so bro you are within limits. All you have to do is rent with this amount at an area closer to work place.

For those talking rubbish about buying a piece of land and building your house with 400k or so, I am sure they are not referring to lagos.

People are so keen to build a house to live where as its just a tie down of investment. Why will a young guy be thinking of dumping tons of cash inside a house to live. A home that will not yield income, how much sef house dey generate?

Its not more than 5-8% of its value. A 50million house will never give u 5million in rent in this Lagos!

That same money you should have taken to acquire lands and fence and run one two business, yet peeps be running mouth like living in your home is the best thing since toast bread.

30% is the financial expert standard.
Anything beyond that means you are living above your means.

Any house rent worth 100k in Lagos will frustrate your life with poor amenities!

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by stanliwise(m): 5:22pm On Jun 23, 2019
kaymart:

So, what's ur point?
Are u for or against who you quoted...
I just want to learn...I want to know ur stance. Pls, share with me ur insight. Thanks!!!
I mean I use to think that not spending money means you were gonna be rich. But then some time in my life I read Ben carson gifted hands when he mentioned how his mum told them of how rich men buys and long lasting quality clothes because they can't afford to continue buying cheaper cloths that don't last. This gave me a reflection of how money spent well is better than money being saved, all in the name that we don't have. infact it is when you don't have you have to start buying long lasting asset.
A change in mindset lead to changes in all ramifications for me, now I make sure I buy quality phones, clothes, and books generally. Good thing is, it has saved me from a lot of spending. People get shocked wen I try to buy e.g my slippers and shoes even as far as amazon or even earpiece directly from Apple store but truth is most of my electronics and things last very long, although I buy Nigerian things alot especially when the quality is ok.
Infact my 8k apple earpiece is 14 month right now. And some of my shoes are 3+ years right now.
I feel like I know how to become and leave rich. I plan to invest in quality in my talent as I have been doing and fact is I am becoming more productive with time.
Quality is Quality, being rich is a mindset. I have start applying this principle in many things I do and now I can say I am living a more comfortable and less expensive live.
Buy big assest isn't the idea, buying last longing and useful asset is the key to saving. Poverty mentality makes people shoot themselves when they opt for cheaper product they know they would need for a long time, or buy bad products that the overhead maintainance and replacement would cause more in the long run. This is my story.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Celebsnews: 5:42pm On Jun 23, 2019
tiwiex:

It really depends on cost of transport. The 100k apartment might be so far from work that you could easily consume the saved 100k on transportation and head ache. Safety can also be an issue. I think two month or even three is fine. We Nigerians love to suffer and end up suffering more when we over calculate these imaginary savings on rent. Pay it and move on. The higher your rent, the more expoaed your neighbours. You could be running away from access to better job opportunities. We bottle ourselves a lot an live uncomfortably in perperuity. No guts, no glory.

Love this!!!
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by eyinola: 5:49pm On Jun 23, 2019
ugo4u:

stop lying. You want to tell me you spend 120k per annum for face me I face you, which most likely in mainland. With 100k one can get a decent accommodation not necessarily flat.
whr do u stay in lagos.. Alagbado or okokomaiko?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Lush100(m): 6:09pm On Jun 23, 2019
Florblu:
For people saying his rent shouldn't exceed an 100k, can you please show me where to rent a comfortable room for 100k in LAGOS. If you mention Ipaja, Ayobo, Mowe, Ibafo, etc I will stone you because he will end up spending his money on transport fare and even drugs to maintain his health.

When people ask for questions, let's be realistic. Op can rent a room of 200k as long as he is ready to safe heavily. He will need to cut out lots of irrelevant expenses and double his effort in getting a better job or at least start s side hustle.
Sir, where I stay, 2 of the flats the rent is 100k yearly.

In fact with prepaid meter and water.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Florblu(f): 6:12pm On Jun 23, 2019
Lush100:
Sir, where I stay, 2 of the flats the rent is 100k yearly.

In fact with prepaid meter and water.

Which area be that biko?

We can be neighbours.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Bayoibee: 6:17pm On Jun 23, 2019
If you’re good at saving and love your privacy then go for the 200k rent in a conducive environment but if you know you can’t handle crowd, busybodies, noise, thugs, high level insecurity then pls and pls don’t rent an apt at cheapest area of Lagos otherwise you’ll regret, there’s nothing as good as coming home to peace and comfort after a long days work and traffic in Lagos...it’s just my opinion and judging from my friends experiences. Hope you make the right choice bro.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Lush100(m): 6:28pm On Jun 23, 2019
Florblu:

Which area be that biko?

We can be neighbours.

It's a room and palour -modified flat.

I stayed there before moving to the bigger flat.

It's an estate opposite Adura bustop when you are heading to Kola or ait road.
And they've been taken oh.

I am debunking the claim that u cannot get a flat of less than 200k.
If I am in a pay of 80k month, my rent will be between 100 to 130 max.
Even my dad's house in a well luxurious estate , there is a very well furnished self contained room with bathroom toilet water for 150k.
Even when I was working in a bank then with good money as a new entrant with salary of 178k , I took a room of 60k per year in abeokuta.
It depends on your goal, determination and discipline.
I saved above 5m by the time I left banking (despite loosing over 3m trying my hands on various business ).
Married with wife not working sef.
It depends on how ready to discipline ur body.

I am staying in a place out of my home with less than 50k rent per annum. Though I suffered to get it

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Florblu(f): 6:39pm On Jun 23, 2019
Lush100:

It's a room and palour -modified flat.

I stayed there before moving to the bigger flat.

It's an estate opposite Adura bustop when you are heading to Kola or ait road.
And they've been taken oh.

I am debunking the claim that u cannot get a flat of less than 200k.
If I am in a pay of 80k month, my rent will be between 100 to 130 max.
Even my dad's house in a well luxurious estate , there is a very well furnished self contained room with bathroom toilet water for 150k.
Even when I was working in a bank then with good money as a new entrant with salary of 178k , I took a room of 60k per year in abeokuta.
It depends on your goal, determination and discipline.
I saved above 5m by the time I left banking (despite loosing over 3m trying my hands on various business ).
Married with wife not working sef.
It depends on how ready to discipline ur body.

I am staying in a place out of my home with less than 50k rent per annum. Though I suffered to get it

Please where is Kola? I believe you can hook me up with an affordable apartment since you've always been getting one. I'm in need of a two bedroomr apartmentm or at least a Mini flat. Help a sister
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by bahlow87(m): 6:45pm On Jun 23, 2019
Florblu:

Please where is Kola? I believe you can hook me up with an affordable apartment since you've always been getting one. I'm in need of a two bedroomr apartmentm or at least a Mini flat. Help a sister
3 bedroom flat for 200k annually in white house /command side...100# from koala bustop and you can get 150k 3beddroom @ ipakoto (after Sango axis)
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by pillarmaria(m): 6:46pm On Jun 23, 2019
If you are earning #80,000 per month it simply means you have to manage the month with just #63,000 while you save the remaining #17,000.

So bro, check if #63,000 can take care of your monthly need and savings too.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by winsco(m): 6:51pm On Jun 23, 2019
Goodplace:
If Someone is in a work of 80k per month can he afford a place of 200k with no side income yet?

he can actually but I don't advice such there are other aspect that needs funds. why not go for a 100k apartment and use the other funds to start a side hustle.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Florblu(f): 6:52pm On Jun 23, 2019
bahlow87:

3 bedroom flat for 200k annually in white house /command side...100# from koala bustop and you can get 150k 3beddroom @ ipakoto (after Sango axis)

Command? That's far now. So how do you expect one to survive a daily journey of Command to Island daily? You even mention Sango undecided

5 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Sirwallace(m): 6:53pm On Jun 23, 2019
BabaIbo:

I am telling you... 100k?

maybe them wan make the op share flat or make he enter inside Epe, ibeju, magbon etc go rent house

My thought too. Epe, ibeju and probably the slump in Ajegunle and the likes.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by bonrul: 6:54pm On Jun 23, 2019
in surulere 200 K will get a room self contain no agent and agreement
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by tunize(m): 6:58pm On Jun 23, 2019
U try it wen u have atleast 5zeros attached to ur pay or 6 zeros go for something less of 200k. because lots of running expenses to cover up, someone said something about buying a land no mttr how small i think its a wise idea!. If u aint't married forget the 200k flat tin instead save up get a cheap land and build small small.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by bigtt76(f): 7:00pm On Jun 23, 2019
It's suffer head life though, but the truth is that no one rents an apartment equivalent to his or her monthly salary. You need to save towards and how long it will take you to achieve it under several factors is what matters.

Goodplace:
If Someone is in a work of 80k per month can he afford a place of 200k with no side income yet?
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by bahlow87(m): 7:06pm On Jun 23, 2019
Florblu:

Command? That's far now. So how do you expect one to survive a daily journey of Command to Island daily? You even mention Sango undecided
I didn't know you work in island I think awoyaya axis isn't a bad idea....but a self contain is 150k per annum minimum....
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by ugo4u: 7:08pm On Jun 23, 2019
eyinola:
whr do u stay in lagos.. Alagbado or okokomaiko?
Abulegba
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by amirez(m): 7:18pm On Jun 23, 2019
Florblu:

I very much agree with you. Many factors should be considered in getting a house especially nearness to place of work. I have a colleague who earns 80k+ and his house is 250k but its just a stroll to work. With this transportation cost for the year have been eliminated and also productive time is saved. Now let's fo the math. If was to stay far he will spend an average of 800h on a daily basis on transportation multiplied by 20 working days equals 16000 per month x 12 equals 160,000 + 100k rent at ipaja, ayobo, ikorodu etc.

Your environment matters and no one wants to stay in a slum or visit someone in a slum. For those saying they can't rent a house of 200k on an income of 80k, are you saying before the expiration of the rent you don't have plans of changing your job, upgrading your skills or look for a business? Hmmm i pity your mentality.

I paid my first rent of 200k while my income was less than 80k now i earn more than 80k a month now (dont expect me to tell u how much i earn. lol) plus other miscellaneous.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Lush100(m): 8:39pm On Jun 23, 2019
Florblu:

U don't know AIT road, Adura bustop.
If u know those places, kola is a stone throw difference.
What do u want vis a vis the cost u are looking at.
I can't promise anything yet
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jun 23, 2019
bonrul:
in surulere 200 K will get a room self contain no agent and agreement

Please where? can I have your contact?
Currently in lere looking for a self con of this range but the thought of all those agentsa dn agreements stuff just turns me off kpa kpa
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Lush100(m): 8:52pm On Jun 23, 2019
stanliwise:
I mean I use to think that not spending money means you were gonna be rich. But then some time in my life I read Ben carson gifted hands when he mentioned how his mum told them of how rich men buys and long lasting quality clothes because they can't afford to continue buying cheaper cloths that don't last. This gave me a reflection of how money spent well is better than money being saved, all in the name that we don't have. infact it is when you don't have you have to start buying long lasting asset.
A change in mindset lead to changes in all ramifications for me, now I make sure I buy qualification phones, clothes, and books generally. Good thing is, it has saved me from a lot of spending. People get shocked wen I try to buy e.g my slippers and shoes even as far as amazon or even earpiece directly from Apple store but truth is most of my electronics and things last very long, although I buy Nigerian things alot especially when the quality is ok.
Infact my 8k apple earpiece is 14 month right now. And some of my shoes are 3+ years right now.
I feel like I know how to become and leave rich. I plan to invest in quality in my talent as I have been doing and fact is I am becoming more productive with time.
Quality is Quality, being rich is a mindset. I have start applying this principle in many things I do and now I can say I am living a more comfortable and less expensive live.
Buy big assest isn't the idea, buying last longing and useful asset is the key to saving. Poverty mentality makes people shoot themselves when they opt for cheaper product they know they would need for a long time, or buy bad products that the overhead maintainance and replacement would cause more in the long run. This is my story.
Been Carson story in the US.
Might need modification.when applied in Nigeria.
I am not saying the principle is wrong or faulty .
I am saying in applying it, u should adjust it with the factors in Nigeria so u have the desired output.
That principle what I did when I was working is
I buy cheap clothes and the really durable/costly one.
For example.
I needed 5 office shirts when I was in banking.
I bought 2 very good shirts at a high price and 4 cheap.
2 suits. One cheap one costly.
And I know which days of the week I wear them.
Days we have morning meeting when we all gather, I wear the good/costly item.
Other days I wear the cheap.
I eat very cheap food at mamaput Monday to Thursday.(total cost of 100 naira)
But on Friday only, back then in abeokuta, I buy fried rice chicken at sweet sensation.
I saved over 75% of my salary back then.
Started or tried my hands on many businesses.
Lots of them messed up. Few worked so well.
Gained experience and still saved a lot.
Helping me now

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by TheIkoro(m): 9:17pm On Jun 23, 2019
Yes, thou can - if thou has any means of "side-hustling." And if thou does not (like so many don't - that are given two-bedroom apartments as part of the "perks" of appointment into supposedly "lucrative" positions in the academia, after a lifetime spent on sweating for a doctorate; or that spend their "igba" on applications with which they prove how gullibly they have fallen for the lie that any unemployment crisis ever was for any but those like unto they) worry thee not. There is one that lives and dies for thee.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by fireback: 9:39pm On Jun 23, 2019
Acidosis:

This rule is not applicable in Lagos, so kindly indicate your location.
I live at ojodu berger and I work in alausa ikeja. I bought my land at opic estate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job / Pre Employment Medical Test / Job Interview Questions And Excellent Sample Responses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.