Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,049 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? (44659 Views)

Here Is The Wicked Condition Someone Gave Before He Connects Me To This 80K Job. / Can One Rent An Apartment Of 250k Per Annum With 80k Job? / Is Going To London To Hustle Better Than An 80k Job In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by 300wayne: 10:30am On Jun 23, 2019
Gentlewarrior1:

Haba bros

One month salary bigger than your 1year rent

Hmm. U dey mean o. And you have a smart move but have it in mind that sometimes getting a personal house might be a liability. Its always an asset no doubt but without the right setup and money e fit no favour u o.

I am saying this because i know someone who suffered himself did this same method just like you just because he was fantasicing a getting a beautiful house. He went through all that stress and got the house.

2 years later unfortunately lost his job and and had to sell that house.

@princeking2
Sometimes rent is not such a bad thing. No be must to be landlord attimes. Having cash and a steady source of income is the shit. So that even when you finally get a house you have nothing to worry about

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by sunday0707(m): 10:30am On Jun 23, 2019
fireback:

Any one year rent that cost more than my two month salary is not worth it... Presently my one year rent is less than my salary in one month. All you need do is save up to half you monthly salary for a year especially if you're still single, use it to buy land, no matter how small the land is and start building your own house. If you re buying a land in a developed place, the land might be smaller but if you're buying from a developing area, you might get a bigger space. All depends on the area you want. Am not just talking but speaking from experience.
I concur with you bro, this is what I did too, I didn't mind what friends said, and in a space of little time, my building is at roofing stage. My house rent is less than my one month salary even as I speak. Though It's only advisable if such person is still single. One can't afford to keep impressing others with big apartment when you have better responsibilities to cater for. In this 80k parents and siblings will get their own share, utilities are there, feeding and transportation likewise

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nobody: 10:33am On Jun 23, 2019
cyclops:
alot of people are talking some dont even have a job see that one is talking about land n house with 80k, bro u can simply pay for it 80k a month is enough, just budget period, u use 40k a month save 40k until ur rent is fully saved then u can start buying stuff, simple.
80k for one year rent...... are you still under your parents roof?...... if not you'll know that type of money can only get you a one room apartment in a slum
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by clems88(m): 10:39am On Jun 23, 2019
princeking2:

I stand with you on this.
I'm currently working but my one year rent is less than my one month Salary. I don't have plans of getting another bigger or finer house if not my personal house. Anybody that will not visit me should lodge in a hotel.

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by onegig(m): 10:42am On Jun 23, 2019
Bestinstinct:

Bro, I'm a perfect example. Went with same advice now I spend 30-35k on car fueling on monthly basis. If I analyze what I'm going through eh, you will realize getting a 500k rent in town is way better.

Most are just blinded by the bulk sum. 30k in 12months is 360k.
Factor in the cost you spend on servicing the car monthly due to the rigours you go through daily , then the stress from driving long hours daily and you would see your are shortchanging yourself in the long run.

If we had rail systems that worked and you could hop into a train from the city centre to the outskirts then that's fine but staying far away in most Nigerian cities is just a death wish. If you don't have a car, you contend with One chance, pick pockets, stress of hapharzard public transport system. If you have a car, long distance, bad roads , costs of maintenance.

So why not just move closer and cut those troubles out of your life?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by AgentGoat: 10:43am On Jun 23, 2019
How much can you save from the salary should be the question.

You can't afford 200k house. Take transport, feeding, your basic needs in a month, send some change to friends and family members. If you want finish yourself you go get nigerian girlfriend. If you no get side hustle or any another place where you fit get money. My friend forget. If you manage save the 200k in year na rent you go take am pay.

80k no be big money o
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Adakintroy: 10:45am On Jun 23, 2019
Gentlewarrior1:

Haba bros

Hmm. U dey mean o. And you have a smart move but have it in mind that sometimes getting a personal house might be a liability. Its always an asset no doubt but without the right setup and money e fit no favour u o.

I am saying this because i know someone who suffered himself did this same method just like you just because he was fantasicing a getting a beautiful house. He went through all that stress and got the house.

@princeking2
Sometimes rent is not such a bad thing. No be must to be landlord attimes. Having cash and a steady source of income is the shit. So that even when you finally get a house you have nothing to worry about

Guy rent na bad thing no think am . Your example had a clause. That things only turn south because the guy lost his job. So what if you are in rent and you lost your job? That no be village.? At least you have a place to rest your head when you a landlord.

When my dad lost his job
Our saving grace was we already move into our house. IF NOT, I for DE farm by now for village

4 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Gentlewarrior1(m): 10:45am On Jun 23, 2019
OLASUNKONMI:

Since I was born, I have never..I repeat never seen, any human reasoning that is as bad, wrong and myopic as this one.Please no offense......infact I don't know what to tell this guy bcs am still in shock with his reasoning.
Haaaahhh cheesy

Words of wisdom sometimes sound foolish to the ordinary mind. So i understand why you think the reasoning is wrong
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Bestinstinct(m): 10:46am On Jun 23, 2019
onegig:

Most are just blinded by the bulk sum. 30k in 12months is 360k.
Factor in the cost you spend on servicing the car monthly due to the rigours you go through daily , then the stress from driving long hours daily and you would see your are shortchanging yourself in the long run.

If we had rail systems that worked and you could hop into a train from the city centre to the outskirts then that's fine but staying far away in most Nigerian cities is just a death wish. If you don't have a car, you contend with One chance, pick pockets, stress of hapharzard public transport system. If you have a car, long distance, bad roads , costs of maintenance.

So why not just move closer and cut those troubles out of your life?
Thank you my brother....
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Gentlewarrior1(m): 10:46am On Jun 23, 2019
300wayne:
sounds pessimistic
Not at all
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Funnyman: 10:47am On Jun 23, 2019
meekparagon:
Please think twice
I really agreed with those that advice you to go for land instead, while disagreed with those that advice you to go on.

I could still recalled some years back after finalizing with my ssce (waec). I got a job with a construction which I happened to go home with #50,000 as a painter, but sometimes I do go out for a private job.

There was a particular friend who always advice me to go and get one room self contain total of #180,000 and #130,000 annual, I disagreed with him and rented a room of #60k annual. That was how life begins.
1½ years later I was able to raised something with family support, and I got myself Toyota Siena that runs ajah to Berger #600 per passenger with seven contains. I did that and got a land at onousa half plot.

Currently doing my 100L at maritime academy. Then continued with during break.

The funny part of it , those guys that advice me to rent apartment of #180,000
Are still earning #50,000 with nothing to show except living in someone room and parlor while feeling big.

Please please please #goodplace don't allowed someone to helped you to economize your money or your thought try and take your own decision and think twice .
Good luck Bro.
Nice one

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by fireback: 10:48am On Jun 23, 2019
iAudio:
bros this is easy for you because according to you, your one year rent is less than your one month salary.

Lets assume a level 8 federal civic servant who lives in a city and earns about 80k per month, do think that half of his salary saved in a year which is 40k times 12= 420k can buy a land in the city except remote villages where he will still be paying heavily on transport to and fro work everyday?

Your advice is a good one but not for someone who earns that low. Except he will save for a very long time, which also confines him to continue paying rent till after the long time of saving
Yes its easy for me because I made it easy for myself by cutting my coat according to my size.
For your second question- any civil servant who earn 80k per month and save up to 400k per year can buy a land in the city. Don't forget I couldn't get up to a plot as at that time, so I went a qauter plot. In situation where you cannot get land at dat price, all you need do is look for cheaper land in other area close to your office where you will not spend so much on transport. After all with your 200k per year rent, you will still pay transport.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Victorenakevwe(m): 11:00am On Jun 23, 2019
It is not wise but wetin man go do. Especially places litke Lagos, portharcourt and abuja where the cost of living is on the high side. I will advice that one should just wise up in his ir her speeding, making sure there is savings for landed project.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by joinnow: 11:13am On Jun 23, 2019
Goodplace:
If Someone is in a work of 80k per month can he afford a place of 200k with no side income yet?
Shouldn't be more than 30% of annual salary.
So you are still in range.
Max 288k
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by tee4naija(m): 11:13am On Jun 23, 2019
Gentlewarrior1:

Haba bros

@princeking2

He is right. My current rent is just about one third of my monthly pay. I live and work in a place about an hour drive from my home town. I have built 2 decent houses in my home town.
If you don't want to live in perpetual misery, ensure your rent do not exceed your 2 month salary for whatever reason. Rents and other expenses increase faster than salaries. Always think of when you have responsibilities even when you are still single.

However, the fact that you have your own house does not mean you should stop paying rent. I want to live in my own house is the reason why some people live in abject poverty.
Consider the cost and ease of transport to your place of work. Consider availability of basic amenities around your house. Some people live in their own houses and yet spend more on transport to work than they spend on rent . This is an unwise decision.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by celeiyke: 11:15am On Jun 23, 2019
It is financially heathy to have ur rent hanging between 70-90% of ur two months salary
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Gentlewarrior1(m): 11:17am On Jun 23, 2019
tee4naija:

He is right. My current rent is just about one third of my monthly pay. I live and work in a place about an hour drive from my home town. I have built 2 decent houses in my home town.
If you don't want to live in perpetual misery, ensure your rent do not exceed your 2 month salary for whatever reason. Rents and other expenses increase faster than salaries. Always think of when you have responsibilities even when you are still single.

However, the fact that you have your own house does not mean you should stop paying rent. I want to live in my own house is the reason why some people live in abject poverty.
Consider the cost and ease of transport to your place of work. Consider availability of basic amenities around your house. Some people live in their own houses and yet spend more on transport to work than they spend on rent . This is an unwise decision.

Well you just explained the whole thing better

You are very much correct bro

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by fireback: 11:23am On Jun 23, 2019
Mrkumareze:

Your comment made me come into the show, i keep wondering the kind of huz people want Op to live in...100k?? That must be in one of those swamp ... paying 200k is not too much for one who earns 80k a month....The place you live or work determines the kind of people you meet in life... Op should remember the place we live has a potential role in our life
100k rent swamp??. Pls is alen avenue at ikeja lagos a swamp? Cos I have a friend who lives there and he's paying 80k/yr for a room selfcon.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Hotfreezers: 11:23am On Jun 23, 2019
fireback:

Yes its easy for me because I made it easy for myself by cutting my coat according to my size.
For your second question- any civil servant who earn 80k per month and save up to 400k per year can buy a land in the city. Don't forget I couldn't get up to a plot as at that time, so I went a qauter plot. In situation where you cannot get land at dat price, all you need do is look for cheaper land in other area close to your office where you will not spend so much on transport. After all with your 200k per year rent, you will still pay transport.

Which city? Benin city or Kaduna city?

When you come to Lagos, drop all these theories at Berger before you enter Lagos.

Those who followed advice like this built in slums surrounding the city. For them to get to work is a problem. To go back home is war.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Hotfreezers: 11:26am On Jun 23, 2019
fireback:

100k rent swamp??. Pls is alen avenue at ikeja lagos a swamp? Cos I have a friend who lives there and he's paying 80k/yr for a room selfcon.

Ask your friend to tell you the truth.

A room self con in Allen - Opebi stretch usually goes for 250k.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Hotfreezers: 11:29am On Jun 23, 2019
tee4naija:

You are one of the very few sensible posters on this thread.

In Lagos, those living in Mowe Ibafo, Iyana Ipaja, Sango are the most frustrated, combative fellows you see at bus stops. The environment has affected them psychologically and has worn them out.

Most of them own the houses they live in but take a look at them and you'll shake head for them.

5 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by xolomonstrides(m): 11:34am On Jun 23, 2019
SoNature:

I don't think it is okay, especially if you live in Lagos.

Look for a house of maximum 100k.

If someone tells u that your 3 months' salaries will pay your rent, it simply means that the person hasn't worked before.

The reason is that no man can save all his salary, unless you steal from your company.

You may pay the rent the first time because you saved up for it, but subsequent occasions will not be funny.

Remember you will feed, tithe, send money home, transport to work, and booze grin

A word, for the wise, is enough
when you earn that and work in Lekki then you would know that it is worth it... Especially if the place is very close to your office and you have to save on transportation cost.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by maasoap(m): 11:35am On Jun 23, 2019
@Gentlewarrior1
Thanks for the insight. That has always been my opinion on becoming a house owner.
I could see that @fireback post is getting a lot of positive appraisals which is good because, that's actually what many people would do too. I know a guy who completed his house more than two years ago and he's yet to move in. And at the time, he was still casual worker. At the time, I asked why couldn't he invest those money in something else not even knowing that he wasn't going to move in quickly despite the fact that the house was ready two years ago.
When I rented my current apartment at 140k a year, people were asking me why not start my own foundation since I have land already? I simply told them that paying 140k annually on a rent was a better option for me because, for the rest of the year, I would have extra money to invest. If I start a house project now, everything else would stop, most especially, investment. House doesn't bring in money. Why not paying house rent for like five years and focus on investing the rest of your salary for that five years instead of labouring to own your own house during that same period? Your investment over a period of five years plus your paid job (if you still have that job) can build you a house in one year to your taste without stress. That's what I'm gonna do.

1 Like

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by vivalavida(m): 11:37am On Jun 23, 2019
One thing to consider is comfort,safety and proximity to the office.l earn in the same region as the OP. I earn 96k. But truth be told I can't see myself living in a face me I face u apartment. I took a one bedroom apartment in an area close to my office where there is security. Its a gated estate with a police station close by and constant power supply.I pay 200k as rent. Transportation to and fro the office is #100 daily. Lunch is served free at work.So those saying nonsense are people who don't value their safety and comfort.what if while saving that money and living in an insecure place,all those Badoo boys in ikorodu use that their stone and smash Ur head in the night?
Abeg oo

I have a colleague that stays in one far away place like that and lives in a face me I face u. He earns a bit above hundred. He pays close to #2500 weekly as transportation everyday. The stress no be here for the guy. Last week he was doing the calculations and found he spends about #125,000 yearly as transportation. Some days the transport fare is higher sef. He gets home late and by 4am he is awake already. I start my day around 6.45am and still get to the office before 7.30am as I don't encounter any form of traffic to and fro the office.
So there are plenty things to consider when renting a place biko

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by tintingz(m): 11:39am On Jun 23, 2019
meekparagon:
Please think twice
I really agreed with those that advice you to go for land instead, while disagreed with those that advice you to go on.

I could still recalled some years back after finalizing with my ssce (waec). I got a job with a construction which I happened to go home with #50,000 as a painter, but sometimes I do go out for a private job.

There was a particular friend who always advice me to go and get one room self contain total of #180,000 and #130,000 annual, I disagreed with him and rented a room of #60k annual. That was how life begins.
1½ years later I was able to raised something with family support, and I got myself Toyota Siena that runs ajah to Berger #600 per passenger with seven contains. I did that and got a land at onousa half plot.

Currently doing my 100L at maritime academy. Then continued with during break.

The funny part of it , those guys that advice me to rent apartment of #180,000
Are still earning #50,000 with nothing to show except living in someone room and parlor while feeling big.

Please please please #goodplace don't allowed someone to helped you to economize your money or your thought try and take your own decision and think twice .
Good luck Bro.
Rent of 60k, where is that?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by ticker(m): 11:41am On Jun 23, 2019
fireback:

Any one year rent that cost more than my two month salary is not worth it... Presently my one year rent is less than my salary in one month. All you need do is save up to half you monthly salary for a year especially if you're still single, use it to buy land, no matter how small the land is and start building your own house. If you re buying a land in a developed place, the land might be smaller but if you're buying from a developing area, you might get a bigger space. All depends on the area you want. Am not just talking but speaking from experience.
wisdom fall on you
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by tintingz(m): 11:41am On Jun 23, 2019
vivalavida:
One thing to consider is comfort,safety and proximity to the office.l earn in the same region as the OP. I earn 96k. But truth be told I can't see myself living in a face me I face u apartment. I took a one bedroom apartment in an area close to my office where there is security. Its a gated estate with a police station close by and constant power supply.I pay 200k as rent. Transportation to and fro the office is #100 daily. So those saying nonsense are people who don't value their safety and comfort.what if while saving that money and living in an insecure place,all those Badoo boys in ikorodu use that their stone and smash Ur head in the night?
Abeg oo

I think some people don't consider the environment they should live which really matters.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by maasoap(m): 11:42am On Jun 23, 2019
300wayne:
sounds pessimistic

May be, but it is full of wisdom. The first step doesn't necessarily need to be about owning a house. That's why many paid workers still labouring into their retirement age and even after retirement. They don't give investment any priority.
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by meekparagon(m): 11:43am On Jun 23, 2019
tintingz:
Rent of 60k, where is that?

Awoyaya
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Prinxx(m): 11:43am On Jun 23, 2019
Please if you do not stay in Lagos or Abuja, we don't need your comments.
I laugh at the comment from some people?
You are looking for a 100k apartment in fair areas in Lagos? That can only be a room where they share � and bathrooms. Agency and agreement never cut your neck.
I stay in an area where I only spend 200naira to and fro work but the rent is expensive, my colleague that pays same amount for a bigger apartment is highly frustrated because he spends more on fixing the car and fuel.

Do the maths you end up trading your comfort for nothing.

In Lagos you have 2 options, either the bus driver takes your money or the landlord does. I will stick to the latter because my health and safety is very paramount.

Don't be penny wise, pound foolish.

8 Likes

Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by Nopanties: 11:44am On Jun 23, 2019
Hotfreezers:

Poverty mentality.

I bought my first car earning 70k and made the money back in 3 months. With a car, I move more, achieve more and bill clients more.

Not everyone is cut out for suffer head.
Where is your brain nah. He said it's an avoidable luxury .
Re: Is It Wise To Pay 200k/a Rent From 80k Job? by vivalavida(m): 11:45am On Jun 23, 2019
tintingz:

I think some people don't consider the environment they should live which really matters.

No mind them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Share Your Remote Job/ Hustle / Job Interview Questions And Excellent Sample Responses / A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.