Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,549 members, 7,823,414 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now (31094 Views)

Ojukwu Lighted Up Cigarette, Smoked At Aburi, Ghana Meeting (Video) / Nnamdi Kanu Shares 50-Year-Old Newspaper About Aburi Agreement (Photo) / Atiku Vs Buhari: Agbakoba Reveals Who Should Win Election, Gives Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by jumobi1(m): 3:35am On Jun 24, 2019
searchlight:
But he had the power to hold some political prisoners against court orders, he has the power to withdraw money from CBN for the purchase of Aircraft without due process, he had the power to install and uninstall CJN at will. In other words are you saying that we are stuck in this country this way? Are you insinuating that the ZOO is irredeemable cus the status quo isn't manageable and can not changed by the best president Nigeria has had since 1914.

National Assembly sir. We aren’t stuck but with the composition of the National Assembly, we are stuck.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by chiedozie198100: 3:38am On Jun 24, 2019
sarrki:

We know his inner motive

He never meant well for this country

who will mean well for a rotten country like this.

sane people like agbakoba mean well for the people in this shithole, n thats why he is advocating for power decentralization.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by elvis07: 4:54am On Jun 24, 2019
Which history are you talking about please?
Smh �‍♂️
sarrki:

grin grin

Learn from history young man

We won’t allow any miscreants to kill innocent children and women for greedy purposes again
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Deadlytruth(m): 5:10am On Jun 24, 2019
BeijinDossier:
Aburi Accord_

Ojukwu "saw tomorrow"

Ojukwu saw tomorrow yet he assisted Ironsi in destroying the 1963 constiution which was far superior to Aburi Accord?
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by seanfer(m): 5:44am On Jun 24, 2019
searchlight:
is there any sense in what he said? Even if he said that because this administration isn't favouring him he can't be affected like ordinary man. Agbakoba is in the league of elites. You that is defending this administration how has the administration and our current constitution favoring you? How can we be doing same thing and expect a different result? The problem of this country majorly are the zombies and unfortunately they are more in number than the sane people.

Why is this advice coming after PMB won the election. Is it a way for him to look relevant? Why can’t He advice GEJ immediately they finished the National Confab in 2014?

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by seanfer(m): 5:46am On Jun 24, 2019
rusher14:

Ask him if he suggested this to Jonathan.

Don’t mind him. He was among those that went to share our money in the name of 2014 national confab, and He did not say a word when GEJ refused to open the report for once. Now He’s trying to form a patriot as if He cares about the common man. Last time He was shouting that Judiciary is under attack now he wants Aburi Accord.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by DedeNkem: 6:00am On Jun 24, 2019
Nigeria is a failed project, killed by the north! They loot and slaughter fellow Nigerians!
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Pearl05(f): 6:04am On Jun 24, 2019
sarrki:
Nigeria will remain as one entity

Nobody will divide us

There is strength in unity

We say big NO to our haters

Nigeria won’t be divided

Cc mynd44

Cc lalasticlala

Was it out of love for the diverse ethnicity or for personal(regional) gain as the most beneficial of another region's wealth that made you say that?
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Nobody: 6:17am On Jun 24, 2019
The day Nigeria divides will be the greatest day in the world ever
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Oshin56(m): 6:19am On Jun 24, 2019
Some people on nairaland are condemning the idea of this man but they refused to reason with it, later they will be shouting that state police is the solution to kidnapping, bandit and herdsmen, where as most of this state don't have fund to finance this, the best option is that every region should be controlling there resources.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Brain08(m): 6:24am On Jun 24, 2019
Restructuring is soO much needed in this dear nation of ours or we'll revolt, who's on this page with me?
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Amanew(m): 6:34am On Jun 24, 2019
sarrki:

grin grin

Yet you and your leaders are rooting for Atiku Abubakar
And Nigeria will never know peace as Long as the pay deaf ear to the Masses!
Democracy- Government of the people,by the people and for the people!
Why is it that the will of the people are not measured?
But you are celebrating Democracy day?
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Nobody: 7:27am On Jun 24, 2019
Basher8583:

Please speak for yourself. SS is not interested in separating. It has always been SE from day one.
If however SE breaks with SS, then SS will be in charge because they own the coastal area. Thus lose lose for SE.
you don't have sense this Hausa man. I'm from ss, mum from delta, dad from Edo state.

We want Division more than anybody, about that costal areas, Rwanda don't have it but they are a lot better than Nigeria
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Dickson80: 7:44am On Jun 24, 2019
sarrki:

Former President of the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, and human rights activist, Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), has told President Muhammadu Buhari to divide the country into eight regional structures.

Agbakoba, one of the greatest heroes of democracy in Nigeria, noted that there are so many unclear issues in Nigeria about how people of the country want to organize themselves and how they want to live together.

The senior lawyer told reporters at the weekend that insecurity and other serious issues facing the country “can’t [be] fully arrested,” if the central government remains so strong as it is now.

He added that, “This is because community policing or state policing is a tactical tool to deal with the problem, but the strategic tool is the bigger question of the national question.

“There are so many unclear issues in Nigeria about how we want to organize ourselves, how we want to live together, this is what some people have called the restructuring question, some call it the national question, but I call it devolution of powers question.

“Whatever it’s called that is the central issue that needs resolution so that even if you use tactical tools like community policing, but the bigger issue remains then I don’t know if we can resolve it.

“What Nigeria needs is space, there are diverse ethnicities and they are living in such close proximity that one ethnic community is in the face of the other with counter-cultures, counter-religious beliefs and that is not healthy. Even in America in spite of all their advanced democracy, they take care of diversities.

“So, I think if I were to advise the president, for instance, the first thing to do is create space…,identify the ethnic regionalities, create eight big blocs, even though we have 6 to make it 8.

“And then I will give them the power to do things at their own local level, it’s called the principle of subsidiarity; let them work at their own local level. Subsidiarity is where people engage themselves at the local level such that you find in Wales, Scotland, Ireland and England.

“Part of the challenge they had when they were living closely was to create an act of settlement of 1705, that was when peace began to come and each of the regions recognized themselves.

“They all had their own prime ministers and they call them first ministers, so the prime minister of the UK is the one we see internationally, but on local matters like school, refuse collection, education, agriculture, employment, health issues, it’s local.

“So, imagine where eight of the regional structures in Nigeria were fending for themselves at their local level and not depending on federal allocation from Abuja, things will be different.

“Immediately they will take control of what is around them, they will create state police, they will create the relevant security apparatus to deal with any threat, therefore, you don’t need one Chief of Army Staff, and they don’t need one Inspector General of Police to be running around entire Nigeria.

“For instance…say in the South-south region, they will have all the relevant apparatuses to deal with whatever situation that they need to survive as a region.

“They could have courts; they might like to have a Supreme Court of the South-south where cases end in the Supreme Court of the South-south, so they do not have to go to the Supreme Court of Nigeria because the Supreme Court of Nigeria has no business dealing with issues arising from there.

“That is the kind of space I think that should be paramount in the issue concerning where Nigeria is heading to.

“Because that discussion is not on the table, all these ethnic issues flare up as major national insecurity challenge. So, that is what I will do or suggest if I had the opportunity to advise on it. The Federal Government is too strong.

“The Federal Government is actually not a Federal Government, ours is a unitary government because the states have no power on the legislative list so there are 68 items on the Exclusive List and as the name implies in Exclusive List only the Federal Government handles it.

“There is 30 on the Concurrent List, concurrent is between the federal and the state to legislate, but if the Federal Government legislates then pursuant to what is called the doctrine of covering the field the state is not allowed to do anything. In other words, the states have no legislative authority, that creates a problem.

“Why should the Federal Government be dealing with Universal Basic Education for primary schools? What is the Federal Government responsibility with that? I don’t understand.

“What is the Federal Government responsibility with setting up a JAMB process so that you equalize educational activities, but if my grandchild from Anambra scores 282, but my friend’s grandson from Zamfara scores 100, my friend’s grandson gets into the university, but my own does not get in. Why don’t you simply say ….look each region can just organize itself and take your examination?

“So, it is this centrifugal federalism, that means federalism that has a pyramid that has only one leader that is our problem.

“We just have to blast the structures and allow regional leaders as we had under the 1960 Constitution. So, when you have regional leaders you will have people who will like to play regional politics or regional law.

“There is no reason, for instance, in my own profession the eight regions I propose should not be awarding SAN to their best lawyers. Why must it only be Abuja? In the UK, the SAN in England is different from the SAN in Scotland.

“So, the formula that worked for Nigeria was to recognize the differences and I think the best example of the agreements that we can apply is the Aburi Accord.

“The Aburi Accord recognized that Nigeria’s problems were as a result of our diversity not being well managed. We need to manage our diversity that is the way we can move forward

https://dailypost.ng/2019/06/23/apply-aburi-accord-divide-nigeria-now-agbakoba-tells-buhari/
Their is nothing to add you just heat the harmer on the nail. But the so called president will listen to voice of reason.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by bola4dprec(m): 7:59am On Jun 24, 2019
Destiny34:
Why're you guys always afraid of division? If Nigeria divide will you die. That means without SS/SE there no Nigeria!
ss/se bussinesses sited in sw/north I pity you people
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by AbleBeing: 8:01am On Jun 24, 2019
obailala:
VEry typical! This one obviously did not read beyond the title before rushing to be first to comment.

He is even the OP
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by bola4dprec(m): 8:04am On Jun 24, 2019
Juliusmalema:
God please even after the 8 regions, everyone should go their own way .... straight up.

I don't have time for unity beggars like ftc above.
Lagos belongs to Yoruba
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Nobody: 8:08am On Jun 24, 2019
bola4dprec:

Lagos belongs to Yoruba

What's my business.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by bola4dprec(m): 8:12am On Jun 24, 2019
chernest2002:
Our leaders refused to restructure in other words they are calling for total destruction.
I always find solace in the words of the first civilian president, in the person of Alhaji Shehu Shagari, the elder statesman, once said “I do not see Nigeria as a nation, for me it is an appellation of a congregation of people, living within that vast geographical terrain called Nigeria” what a way to think!, I said to myself seeing these words on the pages of one of the national dallies some years ago.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by bola4dprec(m): 8:13am On Jun 24, 2019
Juliusmalema:

What's my business.
Leave Lagos
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Nobody: 8:21am On Jun 24, 2019
bola4dprec:
Leave Lagos

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Chaiiiiiiiiii

Mentality.

No wonder they say all of u guys are from lagos....lolzzzz

Lolzzzzzzz
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by PerfectlyPerfect(m): 8:25am On Jun 24, 2019
tactius:
Usually when I hear people crying 'Divide Nigeria'..the answer is, into how many parts?

A lot of water has passed under the bridge since 1966...when we could have done a neat division into 3 parts...but it did not work out.

Nigeria is not dividing for the simple reason that minority tribes won't allow it. The minorites are in the majoirty, and none of them want to be in a 'new country' under the dominion of the big tribes.

Then there is the idea of who gets the oil? I reckon there would be fighting over resources...and a lot of grass would suffer.

Nigeria is an ineffficent contraption. It is also better than the alternative...anarchic tribal warfare.

Nigeria anyway has to get off oil. And get industrial. So that we can be in a better position to restructure...or divide. Restructure now...and the resources issue would still be there tomorrow.

As for regions....Mr Agbakoba should go and read why minority tribes have always been in the forefront of arguing for states.

One final thing...Nigeria does not have enough money. Decentraizaton won't solve our problems. It would only make them worse...as we divide the pot into even tinier bits.

If we remove subsides on power and petrol, we can have enough investment flowing in...which would lead to improvement in refining and electricity capacity...and eventually job creation...putting states and regions in a better place to fight for restrcturing. Not now when every state is oil dependent.

P.S...If you are quoting me, be respectful. If I get any insults for expressing my opinions, I will report you to the mods. I'm sorry, but I don;t go round insulting other people, and I exepct that same courtesy. You are free to disagree with me, but don't call me names, and don't use bigoted tribalistic language. Thank you.

This warning became neccesary because I am getting tired of being abused for just making my opinions clear. I am not in power, nor do i hold office, so I fail to see how my opinions would stop anyone's ideas from being realised.

Good evening.
You raised very salient points but the truth is that the current system isn't working and will never work. For most of the problems you forsee in a regional government, there's the 2014 confab report and I'm sure they came up with how to tackle them.
Shalom!
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 24, 2019
Agbakoba talking to a deaf man.

It's all becauss of the crude oil though. If Buhari strikes oil in the north tomorrow the Hausa/Fulani will quickly restructure so that they don't have to share. Ordinary gold in Zamfara, look at how they've kept it under wraps and shed so much blood just to make sure the revenue does not get to the national treasury.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Ikechu12: 8:47am On Jun 24, 2019
I only support any igbo leader that want the division of that shithole. Agbakoba need to stop beating around the bushes and join the moving train. Of what benefit would it be to restruction a nation without unity, hate and daily killing. Wake the Bleep up.
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by bola4dprec(m): 8:47am On Jun 24, 2019
Juliusmalema:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Chaiiiiiiiiii

Mentality.

No wonder they say all of u guys are from lagos....lolzzzz

Lolzzzzzzz
Why cited Lagos as a case study ?

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 24, 2019
obailala:
Of course it would be difficult for a southerner to achieve it cos the greatest opposition to devolution is the north. But then, 'difficult' doesn't mean 'impossible'. If GEJ was serious about it and not just using it as election strategy left till the last minute, good progress would have been made.

That being said, for all those who keep saying it's impossible because of the opposition from the north, nothing else could be further from the truth. The real reason we still practice unitary government system till date is due to the zero focus of the south and the foolishness of the south uniting to push for it. We cant blame the north for taking advantage of the disunity of the south, can we?

Nobody has raised the issue of restructuring or devolution of power in the legislative Chambers. Blaming the north is just being irresponsible. Push it forward first before blaming the north. You will be surprised the number of Southerners against it.

1 Like

Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Slimsly100(f): 9:08am On Jun 24, 2019
sarrki:
Can you imagine

Someone that have benefited immensely from Nigeria

Someone that campaigned for Atiku day and night

Someone that supported Pdp day and night

Agbakoba is really an agbako

Maybe na now dust clear for him brain
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Slimsly100(f): 9:18am On Jun 24, 2019
Guestlander:

Agbakoba did not say Nigeria should be divided. He basically said Nigeria should be restructured. Igbos are liars and benders of the truth.

On a lighter note, there are no SANs in the UK. They are called queen/king's counsel. grin

“There is no reason, for instance, in my own profession the eight regions I propose should not be awarding SAN to their best lawyers. Why must it only be Abuja? In the UK, the SAN in England is different from the SAN in Scotland.

And was it not because of the failure of the then leaders to apply the restructuring whatever that the Igbo started to clamour for division?
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by nwoguorji(m): 9:34am On Jun 24, 2019
It surprises me when people say: No Nigeria cannot be dived; no, there is strength in unity ; no, we must live together , and without pondering on how many lives that have been lost to the military, the police, bokoharam, herdsmen, IPOB, MASSOB,etc, trying to force this unity , and how many more lives that will still be lost , and yet Nigeria will still Divide if not by man, by God. Our leaders should stop being selfish and rigid when peoples life is involved here. Our leaders should stop playing the Oestrich, their intention is not to unite and strengthen Nigeria, but to circumscribe, victimise, exploit and enslave some component regions!
Re: Agbakoba To Buhari: Apply Ojukwu Aburi Accord & Divide Nigeria Now by Sammyblaq(m): 9:38am On Jun 24, 2019
How I love this Aburi Accord but the poster is an IDIOT!.

BIAFRA ...Una refuse
Regional govt... Mba

Wetin be una problem ndi 1Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq's WAEC Result Is Fake - Sahara Reporters / Ayo Fayose For President Posters At PDP National Non-Elective Convention / Youths Reject John Enenche As Obi’s Campaign Council Member Over Anti-ENDSARS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.