Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,437 members, 7,836,743 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:14 PM

This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper - Technology Market (1289) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Technology Market / This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper (1473789 Views)

Check This Thread For Your Anker Products / Ammc Cargo: Buys And Ships Items From China Via Alibaba,aliexpress,1688,taobao&o / Get Your Orders/items Easily From Aliexpress,alibaba,gearbest,bangood,for Cheap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1286) (1287) (1288) (1289) (1290) (1291) (1292) ... (1446) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Broskyjames: 5:31pm On Jun 14, 2023
icon91:

What does this news mean for a common/lay man??

Both in short/long term, better days or more pending doom??

Those that understand this Fx & all these economy stuff very well should throw more light on this issue so that man will know his stance well & get prepared for what's coming
I will try to explain as simple as possible. In the hale days of Meffy at the helm of CBN, through some bad economic projections, him and PMB assumed the naira to be "461 to the Dollar", Hoarders and friends of Meffy had a field day, they were able to get the dollar at the CBN rate of $461 and sell on the black market for around 550 (2017) before it steadily rise to the about 780 it is today. These actions spooked the market. Genuine investors didn't get these dollars for investment at CBN rate because of these "Special friends", and they took thier investment elsewhere. Some Industries like Airline who brought in forex at black market rate where told to collect back their forex at CBN rate, which meant instant loss and so i know a particular airline who has about $800m trapped here because of this!.

As the years roll by and as Meffy and PMB continued the charade that the naira was trading at "460" to the Dollar, it became evidently clear that CBN had no forex to keep up with this charade, and so so restrictions and plans were kicked in motion to arrest the situation. First was the famed reduction of Forex debit on Naira cards, it was reduced to $100 per month, $50 dollars per month, to even $15 per month! before they basically just cancelled forex debit on Naira dominated cards. A little detour, That time you could use your Naira card to shop on AE, what happens is that you pay in naira to your Bank, your Bank pays AE from thier own Forex reserves, as the forex got depleted, that why they stopped it. The only way now is to bring in your "own" dollar physically and that's where dom account and Dollar card comes in.

Let's continue, CBN even started forex promo! They advised people to bring thier dollars for a discount, i think it was $5 and get $1 discount, and still the Naira and Forex balance never recovered because people knew that the Naira was on life support.

On May 29th, 2023, Tinubu on his inaugural address, stated a plan to "float" the Naira, and the first step was to get rid of Meffy, which he did last Friday. And so today's announcement, means the forex market is an open field for all, no more CBN rate, instead you have something called "Unitary rate" meaning the CBN rate and black market rate are one and almost the same determined by market forces. It opened the forex window for banks to trade the dollar at any rate as determined by these forces and source it from anywhere. Meaning if a bank is offering me dollars at 700, the black market offering me at 780 will have a rethink, and push thier own prices down in a direct competition with the banks.

What it means for you and i is that, the beginning will be very rough but it will pay off in the end, the reason why most Virtual Dollars are down now is that they want to see how the market will react to these announcement and projection are the dollar might trade between 800 and as high as 1000 naira in the coming days!. The country's forex reserve is almost next to zero, It is the hope that the announcement will encourage investors to bring in thier forex without fear of it been trapped at "CBN rate", other forces will come into play too i.e like the gains of the subsidy removal etc. Steadily these will balance the forex and naira trade driving the exchange rate back to a favourable rate and who knows the bank might even announce a return of forex debit on Naira cards in the coming months....fingers crossed.🀞

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by erniok(m): 6:02pm On Jun 14, 2023
Broskyjames:
I will try to explain as simple as possible. In the hale days of Meffy at the helm of CBN, through some bad economic projections, him and PMB assumed the naira to be "461 to the Dollar", Hoarders and friends of Meffy had a field day, they were able to get the dollar at the CBN rate of $461 and sell on the black market for around 550 (2017) before it steadily rise to the about 780 it is today. These actions spooked the market. Genuine investors didn't get these dollars for investment at CBN rate because of these "Special friends", and they took thier investment elsewhere. Some Industries like Airline who brought in forex at black market rate where told to collect back their forex at CBN rate, which meant instant loss and so i know a particular airline who has about $800m trapped here because of this!.

As the years roll by and as Meffy and PMB continued the charade that the naira was trading at "460" to the Dollar, it became evidently clear that CBN had no forex to keep up with this charade, and so so restrictions and plans were kicked in motion to arrest the situation. First was the famed reduction of Forex debit on Naira cards, it was reduced to $100 per month, $50 dollars per month, to even $15 per month! before they basically just cancelled forex debit on Naira dominated cards. A little detour, That time you could use your Naira card to shop on AE, what happens is that you pay in naira to your Bank, your Bank pays AE from thier own Forex reserves, as the forex got depleted, that why they stopped it. The only way now is to bring in your "own" dollar physically and that's where dom account and Dollar card comes in.

Let's continue, CBN even started forex promo! They advised people to bring thier dollars for a discount, i think it was $5 and get $1 discount, and still the Naira and Forex balance never recovered because people knew that the Naira was on life support.

On May 29th, 2023, Tinubu on his inaugural address, stated a plan to "float" the Naira, and the first step was to get rid of Meffy, which he did last Friday. And so today's announcement, means the forex market is an open field for all, no more CBN rate, instead you have something called "Unitary rate" meaning the CBN rate and black market rate are one and almost the same determined by market forces. It opened the forex window for banks to trade the dollar at any rate as determined by these forces and source it from anywhere. Meaning if a bank is offering me dollars at 700, the black market offering me at 780 will have a rethink, and push thier own prices down in a direct competition with the banks.

What it means for you and i is that, the beginning will be very rough but it will pay off in the end, the reason why most Virtual Dollars are down now is that they want to see how the market will react to these announcement and projection are the dollar might trade between 800 and as high as 1000 naira in the coming days!. The country's forex reserve is almost next to zero, It is the hope that the announcement will encourage investors to bring in thier forex without fear of it been trapped at "CBN rate", other forces will come into play too i.e like the gains of the subsidy removal etc. Steadily these will balance the forex and naira trade driving the exchange rate back to a favourable rate and who knows the bank might even announce a return of forex debit on Naira cards in the coming months....fingers crossed.🀞
Ideally, this would work if there would be an fx source to meet demand for it. If not, the naira to dollar rate might tank to almost 2,000 to dollar before the year is out. It's a gamble that may work or backfire......fingers crossed.

5 Likes

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by ganie(m): 6:10pm On Jun 14, 2023
dipson4:

I'm in Abuja though. You didn't attach the timeline.
Done.
Sorry,thought I did.
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by goodlife4every1(m): 6:50pm On Jun 14, 2023
Broskyjames:

Bravo πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

1 Like

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by dipson4: 7:09pm On Jun 14, 2023
ganie:

Done.
Sorry,thought I did.

We have similar timeline...mine was shipped 2 days earlier... I might visit their office tomorrow.
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Landmine1: 7:37pm On Jun 14, 2023
Broskyjames:

this is the positive side of things and can only work if the government and banks have ways of steady meeting up with the FX demand, if not, it can go sideways and you’ll have both the CBN rate and black market rate reaching up to as high as 1500 per dollar. A corruption free country would achieve this but with the same Nigerian senators that manipulated this dollar rate thing in the past still being in power, and the previous CBN deputy governor being the present governor ? It’s wishful thinking, but let’s be hopeful.
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Babalegba(m): 8:29pm On Jun 14, 2023
erniok:

Ideally, this would work if there would be an fx source to meet demand for it. If not, the naira to dollar rate might tank to almost 2,000 to dollar before the year is out. It's a gamble that may work or backfire......fingers crossed.
People would not be comfortable with buying dollar at 2000 to one so demand would evaporate,in fact I doubt if there will be many takers at 1000 to one.

2 Likes

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Babalegba(m): 8:37pm On Jun 14, 2023
Gbagura:
Does the dollar account comes with a dollar card? What's the difference between a Dom and a dollar account with gtbank? Thanks baami, ba i sΓ­
Alafia ni o. The dollar account has a GTB dollar card which I got within two hours.
With the domiciliary account you can actually deal in pounds Sterling, dollars and Euros but with the dollar card you are limited to US dollars and I really think that you would mostly have to bring physical dollars to the cashier. Yesterday I asked a friend of mine to send dollars from his domiciliary account to my dollar account and the transaction was not successful.
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by erniok(m): 8:37pm On Jun 14, 2023
Babalegba:
People would not be comfortable with buying dollar at 2000 to one so demand would evaporate,in fact I doubt if there will be many takers at 1000 to one.
That's what people thought too before it got to this stage. Should that happen, prepare for hyperinflation. I hope sincerely it works out for PBAT govt.
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by sonssyo: 9:00pm On Jun 14, 2023
Clearing custom abeg customers are waiting cry since 9th fah
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by lexrichy(m): 9:32pm On Jun 14, 2023
sonssyo:
Clearing custom abeg customers are waiting cry since 9th fah
i just tire for them, mine too since on the 9th
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Okehzoe: 9:37pm On Jun 14, 2023
Nice and insightful piece you made here πŸ‘πŸ½
Broskyjames:

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by morikee: 9:45pm On Jun 14, 2023
So Nipost no dey provide update again?

Might be the reason i no dey receive my packages cus no phone number written on it
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Okehzoe: 9:47pm On Jun 14, 2023
Please can someone recommend a platform I could use in making payments on Aliexpress aside dollar/domiciliary accounts, preferably a platform with a manageable exchange rate. Thanks.
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by aieromon(m): 10:07pm On Jun 14, 2023
Banks will soon bounce back with the use of Naira-denominated debit cards for international transactions.

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by icon91(m): 11:02pm On Jun 14, 2023
Broskyjames:

I applaud you for this detailed explanation, God bless you for this

We can only be positive how this will all turn out

2 Likes

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Olamak1(m): 11:44pm On Jun 14, 2023
Klasha is a useless app. Even after funding my card with enough dollars to make my purchase, they still went ahead to debit me for insufficient balance

2 Likes

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Slimpromzy(m): 1:55am On Jun 15, 2023
Gotok (fund via BinancePay). Essentially meaning, the USDT you buy at Binance p2p first is sold/bought at fair black market rates compared to a lot of fintech apps out there.

For comparison even still within the same Gotok, the difference between funding via Bank Transfer & via BinancePay is huge (in rates)[/quote]
How do I go about this Gotok?
I've been trying to purchase some stuffs from AE, but ain't working
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Slimpromzy(m): 1:58am On Jun 15, 2023
Please, I also need assistance on purchasing from AliExpress, I've been trying but ain't going through
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by yungrylex00(m): 2:42am On Jun 15, 2023
Slimpromzy:

Gotok (fund via BinancePay). Essentially meaning, the USDT you buy at Binance p2p first is sold/bought at fair black market rates compared to a lot of fintech apps out there.

For comparison even still within the same Gotok, the difference between funding via Bank Transfer & via BinancePay is huge (in rates)
How do I go about this Gotok?
I've been trying to purchase some stuffs from AE, but ain't working
gotok is down for now
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by jboixxx: 6:35am On Jun 15, 2023
Olamak1:
Klasha is a useless app. Even after funding my card with enough dollars to make my purchase, they still went ahead to debit me for insufficient balance

Shebi someone said they charge transaction fee indiscriminately earlier? That's another way of generating $0.5 on 50% transactions.
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by nonny1212: 6:53am On Jun 15, 2023
Be like say gotok no dey work. Been tryinh to purchase with them since yesterday
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Ominie(m): 7:06am On Jun 15, 2023
Olamak1:

Even their rating on playstore is extremely poor
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Ominie(m): 7:07am On Jun 15, 2023
nonny1212:
Be like say gotok no dey work. Been tryinh to purchase with them since yesterday

Gotok is down
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Olamak1(m): 7:34am On Jun 15, 2023
jboixxx:
Shebi someone said they charge transaction fee indiscriminately earlier? That's another way of generating $0.5 on 50% transactions.

Imagine that! I even carried out the transaction around 1.30 am to avoid network glitches

1 Like

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Sonrexx: 7:54am On Jun 15, 2023
Olamak1:

Klasha working properly? How about their incesant message of one challenge or the other? I got a message from them this morning that card funding is unavailable for now . Am reluctant to fund my card.... Have you used it of recent?
Guy, sorry for replying late, this is some of my findings from my insider, some of this fintech guys are not compatible with CBN guarantor so when it's time to oppresse them, they give indirect 3xcuses. The fintech that's most powerfully backed by political and economical power is CHIPPER! @778 TO 790 fluctuating per time.

Another advice, if you're a small time shopper dom account and dollar account will deduct @10usd a year from your account, take it as it's a yearly debt and will be taken when the account is credited.
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by Olamak1(m): 8:05am On Jun 15, 2023
Ominie:

Even their rating on playstore is extremely poor

Serious! It's all my fault!!! I'd never thought of reading comments about them on playstore, I would have saved miself from this mess. The last time I used the app was in March, before Gotok came on board . I just said I should give it a try again this time, but to say am disappointed would be an understatement.
In that middle of the night, after charging me the embarrassing $0.5, I discovered that my account balance was low to complete the transaction. I went further to make a cash transfer of $5 worth of naira into my wallet to enable me add fund to my card, but I encountered another shocker – the money refused to show up on my wallet. As am typing this, it's been over 5 hours now, my wallet is yet to be credited with the amount.
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by noobody(m): 9:14am On Jun 15, 2023
noobody:
Unlimited AliExpress checkout available,rates lesser than 780 or equals to 780 depends on volume.

Come to WhatsApp,let's deal.

Cheers.

Cheap rates,bulk orders can come,

Do not miss amazing discounts this summer sales,checkouts are always available,

Cheers
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by sunrise12(m): 9:39am On Jun 15, 2023
I saw this laptop on Aliexpress with the brand name PIPO and I was wondering if anyone here has ever come across their product before.

Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by anungangampu: 11:54am On Jun 15, 2023
Since the banning of international transaction On aliexpress, all my refund didn't show up in my Uba Account linked to the card

Pls who has this experience and how can I go about it ?
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by AdexAyanfe: 12:31pm On Jun 15, 2023
sunrise12:
I saw this laptop on Aliexpress with the brand name PIPO and I was wondering if anyone here has ever come across their product before.
Oga, check the cost in dollar not naira ooo. Should incase you really want to go for it, so as to know the 'true cost' based on naira-dollar rate
Re: This Thread Is Only For Aliexpress Shopper by eteebanky1: 12:43pm On Jun 15, 2023
AdexAyanfe:

Oga, check the cost in dollar not naira ooo. Should incase you really want to go for it, so as to know the 'true cost' based on naira-dollar rate

Are you not in Nigeria or what

We're now using unified exchange rate now in Nigeria......CBN don float Naira

I believe the changes would have take effect on AliExpress server

(1) (2) (3) ... (1286) (1287) (1288) (1289) (1290) (1291) (1292) ... (1446) (Reply)

The Xiaomi Thread Store / California(Los Angeles),pickup services..Online purchase..(Ebay/Amazon,walmart) / **PHONE SWAP CENTRE**SWAP IT NOW!!! pin:265DA560 or 08033923897

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.