Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,638 members, 7,813,116 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:20 AM

Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift (8025 Views)

Couple Married For 10 Years And Never Had Sex (PHOTO) / This Couples Has Been Married For Ten Years And They Have Never Had Sex Together / Help! I’ve Been Married For Three Years And I’m Still A Virgin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by Alert(f): 6:31pm On May 09, 2007
to girls in the house:
what do you think of a guy that u have been dating for 2years or more that hasn't bought u a gift? what would u do?.

to guys in the house:
why do some of u find it difficult to buy gifts for your g/f that u are seriously dating?

for me a gift no matter how small shows you appreciate some one, not money gifts ooh.
Contrary views are welcomed.
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by ima1(f): 6:48pm On May 09, 2007
No gifts, not even on your Bday, thats just bad, have u tried asking him why
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by omega25red(m): 6:51pm On May 09, 2007
What gift have you given to him and why does the emotional connection of your relationship depend on him buying you a gift He might actually be saving up the gift money for a ring for you  grin (yea right nigga is broke)

Seriously though how come you didn't have this convo with him??
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by FactorChic(f): 7:03pm On May 09, 2007
2 years shocked shocked
like DAMN someone say STINGY!!!!

I mean, on ur first date he should be able to get u something
2yrs, within those 2 years u celebrated ur birthday, valentine, easter, christmas and new year
and he didn't get u anything

please, u don't want to get married to someone like that
HE'S STINGY!!!
abeg sit down and have a conversation with him
even the poor guys try to get their girls something, WOW dats crazy

2yrs
damn, and u waited that long, Hell knows I won't undecided undecided
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by jgirl3: 7:13pm On May 09, 2007
no b-day gifts? no val's day cards? b4 the 2 years, i would have broken up with him. I don't want anything expensive just to show that you care even if it is a bottle of coke.
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by Rlst84sale(m): 10:10pm On May 09, 2007
He is either broke or just tesing you to know if you are the kind that would be asking him for material things. Nevertheless, he should have at least bought you something for your birthday, a card at least.

@Factorchik

I don't know about first date gift, may be flower. Buying gift on first date is starting on the wrong footnote, birthday, valentine, easter and Christmas those I agree with you on.  Or there's nothing wrong with buying a nice lady a gift Just because
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by myssfyne(f): 10:16pm On May 09, 2007
If a guy does not give you anything for 2yrs,please run from that AKA GUM because u'll just get faustrated about the relationship,
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by cuteass1(f): 12:35am On May 10, 2007
Darling poster . .

Try having a conversation with your man, at the end of the day when all Nairaland users go to sleep, you're the one wearing the shoe and you definitely know where it pinches you most smiley

Yes, like everyone said, he is stingy a.k.a. superglue-hand lol but before i jump into conclussions, how wealthy is he?? is he well to do??

If yes, then give him the benefit of the doubt and ask him outrightly, tell him how you feel about the whole situation sad

Sometimes we have to mould our loved ones to what we want them to be, find out what his past relationships have been like, what might be his reason for being that greedy, have a heart to heart chat with him, it always helps, and you always come out of it wiser, at least even if not to your delight you get something out of it wink

I have zero tolerance and patience for guys that aren't romantic, but before i walk you to the door, I'll give you a helping hand to buckle up, since nobody is perfect and we help each other to be perfect but at the end of the day, you're not making improvemnets?? hmm, sorry ooh, but i'm out!!!!!!! angry But first of all you got to try cheesy (You should have taken actions after some months, i find 2yrs a long time to sit and wait ooh, but since you waitd this long don't just give up)
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by IBDat(m): 12:51am On May 10, 2007
Soz - but 2 years is a damn longtime not to buy anything for yo girl! - Even if he was broke he can make or barter sumthin.
I wouldn't do that and yes i do buy my girl things not only for b'days, vals n Xmas but also off-the-cuff.
If i see soething that i know she would like, i would like on her or that we can both enjoy - it's really not an issue and vice-versa.

2 Likes

Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by neelsel(f): 12:53am On May 10, 2007
IBDat:

Soz - but 2 years is a damn longtime not to buy anything for yo girl! - Even if he was broke he can make or barter sumthin.
I wouldn't do that and yes i do buy my girl things not only for b'days, vals n Xmas but also off-the-cuff.
If i see soething that i know she would like, i would like on her or that we can both enjoy - it's really not an issue and vice-versa.
[/quote
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by Nobody: 12:55am On May 10, 2007
na wa o. you should have talked to him first before coming here. Have you given him a gift urself? Do u give him gifts on valentine, his birthday, ur anniversary? If you do then he has huge issues, if you dont then why are you complaining? what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by Seun(m): 1:16am On May 10, 2007
Don't ask him for "gifts". Ask him for non-monetary gifts like love notes, special phone calls, et cetera. Just ask. wink
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by neelsel(f): 1:19am On May 10, 2007
Seun:

Don't ask him for "gifts". Ask him for non-monetary gifts like love notes, special phone calls, et cetera. Just ask. wink

Seun,
And for the "love of God"  what am I supposed to do with those?? . Last time I checked, Tiffany's, Bloomingdales, Lord & Taylor et al weren't accepting love notes nor its cousins,
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by Nobody: 1:23am On May 10, 2007
seun are u from ijebu and whats with you not give monetary gifts
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by Seun(m): 1:47am On May 10, 2007
You don't want him to think you're in the relationship for what you can get. It may chill the romance.
I don't understand the culture of giving expensive gifts. Why can't both of you just buy what you want?
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by ikamefa(f): 3:17am On May 10, 2007
@topic in my opinion its a 2 way traffic, you give him gifts ,he gives you gifts , thats how its supposed to be,

the gifts don't have to be expensive(according to what you can afford) like some peeps have said sit him down and talk to him cheesy

Seun:

i concur in addition cook him special meals, take him out to picnics or special shows wink cheesy
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by omogenaija(f): 3:57am On May 10, 2007
i wouldnt do anything , as long as he's not cheating and he truly cares for me,
i can buy my own gifts

i wonder how many of the girls that think that there is a problem with this buys gifts for their man
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by iice(f): 6:48am On May 10, 2007
omogenaija:

i wouldnt do anything , as long as he's not cheating and he truly cares for me,
i can buy my own gifts

i wonder how many of the girls that think that there is a problem with this buys gifts for their man

Thank you jare! I understand that women want to be shown they are appreciated but that can also be done like seun said through non-monetary gifts.  I can also understand that when a man has little, what little that is extra is desired to be spent on oneself.  Loving someone sometimes means putting that person before yourself but still having the smarts to handle your bizness, should he/she intentionally and maliciously hurt you. 

Gifts are the icing on the cake, the moment spent together and the memories made are what makes it matter.  Just my own take on things.
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by muzart40: 9:58pm On May 10, 2007
Hey Girl,Wanna get to know more about me and if yes you can get back to me through my email id and also i am a guy of 20 years and i will be glad if you write back to me as soon as possible,

muzart40@yahoo.com

Mykel wink
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by DeGlory(f): 12:26am On May 11, 2007
Well, i don't believe he is that broke! I just think he wants to see DA kind of person u are, Probably trying to see your level of tolerant.
     Girl u try ooh!
Or maybe u should give him a surprise gift, he might just change, who knows may be  he has never given  his Ex - ladies gift,
Na-wa Diffrent type of Men in dis  world  shocked shocked shocked
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by kike001(f): 12:47pm On May 11, 2007
dats wat i am talkin about most guys r just to sellfish maybe u better start asking him 4 gift like on ur birthday ask him wat r u getting me 4 ma birthday?
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by SweetT1: 1:31pm On May 11, 2007
Stingy bastard !!
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by luxoire(f): 2:07pm On May 11, 2007
hahahahahahaha y r some of u like this, lol, sha una dey make me laff

I am in the same pot soup

I have been dating my guy for over a year and a half and he aint never bought me a single gift!!, i buy for him oh!, when i asked him, he said he isnt a gift person, he doesnt expect them, but if that is how i choose to express my feelings, then thats fine, but i have no obligation to buy him gifts, he will express his feelings how he chooses, he said he would try to buy 4me too, its been 2months now, and i never see even one, and if i know him like i do, i will just accept it like one of those things, and after we have addressed the issue a few times, i know he will give in and SPOIL me if i let him see that him buying me gifts really mean THAT much to me, lol (when i start throwing tantrums and frontin', he'll do it to please me)

My point is hun, some ppl are not the gift type, u might make him start doing it to please to, but is this the reason why u wanted the gifts in the first place?, just to keep you quiet?, NO. What you need to do, is see if he expresses his affections in other ways.

My guy, pays for dinners, outings etc, unless i insist on paying. If he feels i need or want something, he will give me the money for it, if i ask, (but because i dont ask often, that one is a rarity). I have come to accept him as he is. DOES IT MEAN HE IS STINGY?, NO, some ppl were vrought up differently.

A RELATIONSHIP THAT LASTS IS BASED ON A BALANCE, YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND YOUR PARTNER AND COMPROMISE SOME OF WHAT YOU LIKE, TO MAKE HIM AT EASE/COMFORTABLE (as he too will do), so what if ur friends' guys buy them gifts?, how r u sure that that means the guy even loves them?, most guys use material things to mask the fact that they dont love a girl, and some of us girls think LOVE=MATERIAL THINGS, we make it easy for playas, because one gift shuts us up!!

If it is a guy's nature to shower you with gifts and he doesn't do it, just as long as he aint doing to to some other girl, huney hang in there, its ur 'badluck' that u chose that kinda guy, if u aint happy with it and think he is 'unromantic', u know where the door is.
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by oludoyin(m): 2:28pm On May 11, 2007
What is he doing for a living?
How is life to him?
Maybe is having a problem
Maybe he dislike the girl or
Maybe he needs orientation on how to treat ladies in a relationship
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by Seun(m): 2:35pm On May 11, 2007
You need to make him understand that gifts, no matter how small, will make you appreciate him more. If he's not a gift person, then you're wasting your time/money by buying him gifts. He should be the one buying the gifts. The idea is that you should give him what he appreciates (ahem) and he should give you what you appreciate (gifts).
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by cuteass1(f): 2:39pm On May 11, 2007
luxoire:

hahahahahahaha y r some of u like this, lol, sha una dey make me laff

I am in the same pot soup

I have been dating my guy for over a year and a half and he aint never bought me a single gift!!, i buy for him oh!, when i asked him, he said he isnt a gift person, he doesnt expect them, but if that is how i choose to express my feelings, then thats fine, but i have no obligation to buy him gifts, he will express his feelings how he chooses, he said he would try to buy 4me too, its been 2months now, and i never see even one, and if i know him like i do, i will just accept it like one of those things, and after we have addressed the issue a few times, i know he will give in and SPOIL me if i let him see that him buying me gifts really mean THAT much to me, lol (when i start throwing tantrums and frontin', he'll do it to please me)

My point is hun, some people are not the gift type, u might make him start doing it to please to, but is this the reason why u wanted the gifts in the first place?, just to keep you quiet?, NO. What you need to do, is see if he expresses his affections in other ways.

My guy, pays for dinners, outings etc, unless i insist on paying. If he feels i need or want something, he will give me the money for it, if i ask, (but because i don't ask often, that one is a rarity). I have come to accept him as he is. DOES IT MEAN HE IS STINGY?, NO, some people were vrought up differently.

A RELATIONSHIP THAT LASTS IS BASED ON A BALANCE, YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND YOUR PARTNER AND COMPROMISE SOME OF WHAT YOU LIKE, TO MAKE HIM AT EASE/COMFORTABLE (as he too will do), so what if your friends' guys buy them gifts?, how r u sure that that means the guy even loves them?, most guys use material things to mask the fact that they don't love a girl, and some of us girls think LOVE=MATERIAL THINGS, we make it easy for playas, because one gift shuts us up!!

If it is a guy's nature to shower you with gifts and he doesn't do it, just as long as he aint doing to to some other girl, huney hang in there, its your 'badluck' that u chose that kind of guy, if u aint happy with it and think he is 'unromantic', u know where the door is.

Why does this girl always blow me off my seat??

I agree with you and accepting our loved ones for whom they are, but like i said earlier, never do a relationship without COMMUNICATION wink

No, i don't want my guy to be romanic because i mandate him to, i want it from his heart and because he loves to do it (same goes for this gift issue), but on the other hand, i don't want him not to be romantic because he doesnt know how its done wink

These two things are totally different, we mould each other. My boyfriend once excused himself and apologised for not being what he was supposed to be at the early stage, but it was because his formers made it inconsequential, but then i came along, someone who cannot live without "romance" lol cheesy

So i do suggest she talks to him first, what he has to say will help her know whether there could be some changes, if hes just like that and she has to either accept his other good attributes or that the gift scenario is too important to her being and walk!!!
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by Adetife: 2:41pm On May 11, 2007
Personally i don't feel as thou the guy needs to be crucified like this (yea he might not have the same mind set as most guyz) but a relationship is about understanding, give n take and definitely a learning a process. U want gifts - buy him something, see if he returns the favour. U like recvn gifts that much, let him know and see if he's prepared to accomodate this (can't see why not) or not (for his own reasons) and u guyz can resolve yo issues or relationship based on this if it is that important!
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by JustGood(m): 2:45pm On May 11, 2007
you sef don give am gift before?

comot for road jare
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by hayo(m): 3:02pm On May 11, 2007
Maybe the girl thinks they are going out.
Maybe the guy is just playing her.
Maybe he has not even taken her home.
Maybe a lot of other things ,

I am really laughing hard.
But truly, no matter how much a guy is a not a 'gift person' - it is hard not to give something, even if it is a card to d one u claim to love in 2 years.
Na wa o! My summation is the guy is not going out with the girl - he is just using her.
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by fromuk(m): 3:26pm On May 11, 2007
All the gyls in da house don dey hala like sey them dey buy for guys. Yes giving gift is a two way thing, when u give twice and the guy or gyl did not reply back abeg ask question cos una two love each other and una two the enjoy the something. gift suppose dey exchange hands often and on. No be only man dey give.
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by pisces20: 3:41pm On May 11, 2007
well it all depends on the guy's pocket.
But no matter how poor he is doesn't mean he can't afford even one top or skirt or trousers at least that is something. i believe there is love in sharing and if he can't save up to N500 to buy you a little gift then he's stingy
Re: Date A Guy For 2 Years And Not A Single Gift by uchetobi(f): 4:17pm On May 11, 2007
Well its sad. I understand how you feel cuz we females attach a lot of sentimental emotions to gift from a loved one. How was he before you started dating? Did he buy you any gift?  Well you could try buying for him on his birthday and vals and see how he reacts.
Or is his finances extremely down You see before my boy friend and i started dating

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

. / Why Do Girls Shy To Eat In-front Of They Boyfriends? / See The Awkward Photo Shared By A Young Couple On Social Media

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.