Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor (22611 Views)

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins / Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by lawani: 4:31pm On May 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Nigga talk with fact,

Ateast if you can't site articles bring something convincing or get lost

Everyone is not correct untill he proves himself correcr.........
I am not going to sit here and allow you to rewrite history. Benin was not an Edo empire but a Yoruba one where Yoruba not edo was lingua francs. The people of ugbodu in delta speak a Yoruba dialect and they migrated from Benin centuries ago. Your novel attempt to portray Benin as an Edo empire can not be allowed to stand. The language spoken throughout the empire was a Yoruba dialect, the type spoken in owo. You can start building your edo empire now but don't change the Benin empire to what it was not!. Are you trying to say edo was the lingual franca of the Benin empire?
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by RamessesIV(m): 4:34pm On May 06, 2020
Early Christians were jews and started in galilee,Christianity was originally a Jewish sect,it broke out and spread throughout the Mediterranean down to africa,oldest church is in syria,first christian countries where armenia and ethiopia before Rome,the roman empire was the power house of the mediterrean and controlled almost all of it after it went christian,early christianity centered there and got it organization there,and later divided into roman catholic(christianity of the western roman empire) and Eastern orthodox Christianity(christianity of the eastern roman empire)
OgboAto:

My guy, Yoruba did not claim you. It has been you people claiming Yoruba. A foreign author has provided a chronology of your claims of Yoruba & then sudden rigmaroles with ever changing stories of who Ekalederhen was and what he actually did. It has been you people who have been unstable forever. It was not Yoruba that forced your king to tell them things about his Ife origin & it was not Yoruba that forced your king to attend Yoruba Oba meetings & it wss not Yoruba that forced your Oba to take white researchers into the palace & talk them into how he used to say prayers for himself & Yoruba kings. Na una start am. Yoruba barely knew about Bini stories until your people began telling colonialists all sorts. Even Samuel Johnson who published way earlier than any Bini man had little knowledge of Bini story. Yoruba is not your problem, you are your own problem.

P.S: the Jews did not start Christianity, Romans [who were Europeans] designed, structured, defined, started & spread Christianity. Christianity is of European origins & an European religion.
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by OgboAto: 4:35pm On May 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Did Roupell's write anything about benin and ife connection,

Egharevba works was over influenced.....
When i mean over influence i mean the over with all emphasis

Egharevba was born in ondo by a benin-akure chief who had reside in ondo by the orders of the oba to oversee economic activities and he later married an ondo woman, egharevba had later finished is primary school in ondo before returning to benin
He later went to the University of ibadan the only university at then nigeria,and was also later crowned a benin chief
After his masters program he needed to further his studies for his phd level and before any admission can be given. He needed a publication of its own
Before he could qualify to study for his phd
He decided to write on benin history.....
The oba had influenced his writing as a chief in the palace for his political ambitions
While going to publish it at the ibadan printing press he was asked to favour his writings to the yorubas after doing it before his book was published in his subsequent books he tried to correct his first edition but no one took him serious again except the edo people.....

You're lucky I left that Egharevba's book in Ife.

1. He was from Benin

2. His father was an original Benin

3. His mother was a serious Benin with prominent ancestry.

4. His wife was a proper Bini woman with better Benin ancestry

5. He schooled and grew up in Ondo.

6. You were not there when he handed the book to the press. Don't regurgitate roadside uneducated rumours.

Finally, Egharevba got all of his data from Benin people in Benin & also Benin palace.

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by OgboAto: 4:38pm On May 06, 2020
RamessesIV:
Early Christians were jews and started in galilee,Christianity was originally a Jewish sect,it broke out and spread throughout the Mediterranean down to africa,oldest church is in syria,first christian countries where armenia and ethiopia before Rome,the roman empire was the power house of the mediterrean and controlled almost all of it after it went christian,early christianity centered there and got it organization there,and later divided into roman catholic(christianity of the western roman empire) and Eastern orthodox Christianity(christianity of the eastern roman empire)

You should read the Roman History or you read the History of Christianity in Roman Empire.
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by gregyboy(m): 4:41pm On May 06, 2020
OgboAto:

1. He was from Benin

6. You were not there when he handed the book to the press. Don't regurgitate roadside uneducated rumours.

Finally, Egharevba got all of his data from Benin people in Benin & also Benin palace.

His father was benin.......

His mother was ondo unless proven otherwise by you which you haven't done

If he got his info from the palace then why his the oba refuting most of his writeups...... Even from the very pareoba he got it from

Again i guess it was only one book you read about egharevba, for the record egharevba wrote 36 books and he rivesed his earlier works.......

Go and read up egharevba article on jstor if you need link tell me
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 4:48pm On May 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Nigga talk with fact,

Ateast if you can't site articles bring something convincing or get lost

Everyone is not correct untill he proves himself correcr.........

Another one below:

(1) Yoruba language was the Lingua Franca of Benin Kingdom

(2) Yoruba language was the language of the palace administration of Benin Kingdom.

cc: lawani, OgboAto

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by gregyboy(m): 4:49pm On May 06, 2020
OgboAto:

1. He was from Benin

Should i show you from this article you screenshot were they said egharevba works was not accurate that he had to correct them with later versions

See when you're posting articles dont think we are dumb you cam just post articles to fool us....

That same article you made a screenshot of criticize egharevba works to be incorrect.....

Then you went there to pick a point.... As screenshot

What of subsequent books that egharevba wrote favouring the benins why didnt you reference it wss is not taken from the palace.......

Benins distorted thier history fine but we know why we did so dont use it as a point to lay favourism to your ife

No Benin-ife connections period
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by OgboAto: 4:50pm On May 06, 2020
gregyboy:

If he got his info from the palace then why his the oba refuting most of his writeups...... Even from the very pareoba he got it from

Again i guess it was only one book you read about egharevba, for the record egharevba wrote 36 books and he rivesed his earlier works.......

His mum was Benin. He stated his genealogy in the second page following the coverpage of the book. Man, you're lucky I don't have it here with me, I would have put up a picture where he described his background. It was as if the man knew y'all would deny him at some point. His work was sanctioned & approved by your Oba of that period.

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by OgboAto: 4:52pm On May 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Should i show you from this article you screenshot were they said egharevba works was not accurate that he had to correct them with later versions

See when you're posting articles dont think we are dumb you cam just post articles to fool us....

That same article you made a screenshot of criticize egharevba works to be incorrect.....

Then you went there to pick a point.... As screenshot

What of subsequent books that egharevba wrote favouring the benins why didnt you reference it wss is not taken from the palace.......

Benins distorted thier history fine but we know why we did so dont use it as a point to lay favourism to your ife

No Benin-ife connections period

Roupell stated Ife-Benin connection according to your people in 1897, period!

Should I also show you were it said he went back to correct it because he was working with the King? And yet while working with the King and editing his work he still retained that the monarch origin was Ife. Do you want to see it?

And no, I am not projecting Ife favouritism I've only put out a bit of the records I have for you to reprocess your own history. And yes, I think you are all dumb.

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by gregyboy(m): 4:56pm On May 06, 2020
TAO11:

Another one below:

(2) Yoruba language was the language of the palace administration of Benin Kingdom.

You need to learn how to speak in public.....

That your abusive mouth, you have used to insult your husband is what you plan to use on me if i happen to reply this....

You disgust me, you dont even feel remorseful you still quote me each time you get the chance how callous minded can one be

Tufiakwa

Go and learn manners you lack one run along lady!!!
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 4:57pm On May 06, 2020
gregyboy:

OgboAto:

His mum was Benin. He stated his genealogy in the second page following the coverpage of the book. Man, you're lucky I don't have it here with me, I would have put up a picture where he described his background. It was as if the man knew y'all would deny him at some point. His work was sanctioned & approved by your Oba of that period.

I'm still searching for where he collected data from Yoruba people.

I will probably have to search forever. grin grin

cc: lawani

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by OgboAto: 4:59pm On May 06, 2020
TAO11:

cc: lawani

My G.

I was just looking through my system to find this exact joint.

Wa gbayi.

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by gregyboy(m): 5:03pm On May 06, 2020
OgboAto:

Roupell stated Ife-Benin connection according to your people in 1897, period!

Should I also show you were it said he went back to correct it because he was working with the King? And yet while working with the King and editing his work he still retained that the monarch origin was Ife. Do you want to see it?

And no, I am not projecting Ife favouritism I've only put out a bit of the records I have for you to reprocess your own history. And yes, I think you are all dumb.

Yes, the screenshot and the link too
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by RamessesIV(m): 5:05pm On May 06, 2020
My point is Christianity already existed before the rome went christian or constantine legalized it,is like saying shia Islam is persian (iranian) cause of it's history and centralization there,rome was the world power then that's why when rome went christian(wasn't the first),roman empire became the seat of Christianity as they controlled the Mediterranean and helped spread the religion through out Europe,parts of Asia and africa,and yes I know a bit about roman history and it's roles in early Christianity.

OgboAto:

You should read the Roman History or you read the History of Christianity in Roman Empire.
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 5:08pm On May 06, 2020
OgboAto:

My G.

I was just looking through my system to find this exact joint.

Wa gbayi.

No problem:

And their face-saving joke of Ibadan Publishers actually beats Bovi and Basketmouth at their professions. grin

Egharevba's mention of the practice of sending Benin Obas heads to Ife was published by The PortHarcourt Press.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 5:11pm On May 06, 2020
gregyboy:

[s]You need to learn how to speak in public.....

That your abusive mouth, you have used to insult your husband is what you plan to use on me if i happen to reply this....

You disgust me, you dont even feel remorseful you still quote me each time you get the chance how callous minded can one be

Tufiakwa

Go and learn manners you lack one run along lady!!![/s].

It's abusive that the lingua-franca of Benin Kingdom was Yoruba language ??

It's abisive that the language of palace administration at Benin kingdom was Yoruba language??

I think you should try another cheap face-saving excuse, this one is already stale.
grin

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by gregyboy(m): 5:12pm On May 06, 2020
OgboAto:

Ok his mom his benin

Does that remove the fact that there was no Benin-ife connections

Guy show me connections and stop bringing distorted history that happened in 1900

Guy egharevba works doesnt concern me not even the works of the yoruba

If you are going to pist any work let it be

Prior to 1475 to 1914

Aside that. I believe most of the works began to carry political effect
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by lawani: 5:12pm On May 06, 2020
TAO11:

Another one below:

thank you ma'am, the problem I have is I don't know how to use my phone to post links. Benin was a proper Yoruba empire and the old language of onitsha, ikwerre, ogba land and other parts of the old empire was a Yoruba dialect like that of ugbodu in delta state
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by gregyboy(m): 5:13pm On May 06, 2020
You yorubas know how to deviate

Anyworks from 1914 downward should never be quoted or refrenced.......
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 5:15pm On May 06, 2020
lawani:
thank you ma'am, the problem I have is I don't know how to use my phone to post links. Benin was a proper Yoruba empire and the old language of onitsha, ikwerre, ogba land and other parts of the old empire was a Yoruba dialect like that of ugbodu in delta state

No problem.

Even onitsha, ikwere, etc is still far.

Even right there in their capital of Benin Kingdom and inside the palace of Benin kingdom ... the language is Yoruba language.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by gregyboy(m): 5:15pm On May 06, 2020
TAO11:

It's abusive that the lingua-franca of Benin Kingdom was Yoruba language ??

It's abisive that the language of palace administration at Benin kingdom was Yoruba language??

I think you should try another cheap face-saving excuse, this one is already stale.
grin

Learn how to talk woman........

No one is your mate.......
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by OgboAto: 5:18pm On May 06, 2020
TAO11:

No problem:

And their face-saving joke of Ibadan Publishers actually beats Bovi and Basketmouth at their professions. grin

Egharevba's mention of the practice of sending Benin Obas heads to Ife was published by The PortHarcourt Press.

These cats are a stupid set of Bini people.
They have an inferior argument with a mind wired shut to be anti-Yoruba. I'm not interested in their monarch having Yoruba origins but all of the literature before the 20th century indicate they themselves informed the writers they had connections with Ife. They have so much to put up against and they're handling it so badly that they're speaking ill of a man that spearheaded the writing of their history.

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by lawani: 5:18pm On May 06, 2020
TAO11:

No problem.

Even onitsha, ikwere, etc is still far.

Even right there in their capital of Benin Kingdom and inside the palace of Benin kingdom ... the language is Yoruba language.
you are right but in the 19th century or so, the edo from the suburbs overwhelmed the capital and Benin princes are now edo.

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO11(f): 5:26pm On May 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Saving face as usual. I allow you little boy.

How old are you again? grin

Cos the last time I checked you're only a kid going by your picture which you pulled down only recently. cheesy

And you're still a UNIBEN boy, abi? ... Struggling to have your first degree. Lol.

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO12: 5:38pm On May 06, 2020
OgboAto:

These cats are a stupid set of Bini people.
They have an inferior argument with a mind wired shut to be anti-Yoruba. I'm not interested in their monarch having Yoruba origins but all of the literature before the 20th century indicate they themselves informed the writers they had connections with Ife. They have so much to put up against and they're handling it so badly that they're speaking ill of a man that spearheaded the writing of their history.

Very soon the English dictionary will be updated to accomodate new words in relation to the term "inferiority complex".

We'll soon see something like:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
inferiority complex

Definition: ...

Related terms: Bini people of southern Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by OgboAto: 5:40pm On May 06, 2020
TAO12:

Very soon the English dictionary will be uploade to accomodate new words in relation to the term inferiority complex.

We'll soon see something like:

inferiority complex

Definition: ...

Related terms: Bini people of southern Nigeria.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by gregyboy(m): 5:45pm On May 06, 2020
TAO11:

Saving face as usual. I allow you little boy.

How old are you again? grin

Cos the last time I checked you're only a kid going by your picture which you pulled down only recently. cheesy

And you're still a UNIBEN boy, abi? ... Struggling to have your first degree. Lol.

Lol, my first degree indeed lol i guess we only have first degree in uniben....

You thought that was mr anoda big lie

Go and learn manners
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by samuk: 5:48pm On May 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Everyone agree that Egharevba collected information for his book from Benin informants but he was accused of misrepresenting the various accounts in his book, that was why late Oba Erediawa wrote a version of the origin of oba of Benin that was different from Egharevba.
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO12: 5:59pm On May 06, 2020
gregyboy:

Lol, my first degree indeed lol i guess we only havr degrees in uniben....

You thought that was mr anoda big lie
Go and learn manners

Oh you're not in university yet, okay?

Now everything is making sense.

1 Like

Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by samuk: 6:02pm On May 06, 2020
lawani:

I thought the Yoruba language is the adopted Oyo dialect that was standardised in the 20th century for all tribes within the Western region.

The dialect of Ekiti and other Yoruba tribes are not exactly the same as Oyo dialect that is now the standard Yoruba language.

If Yoruba is a modern day creation, a creation of the 20th century, how was it possible for Benin to be speaking a language that was only standardised in the 20th century in the 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th centuries.

Which of the various versions of the Yoruba dialect was Benin speaking during these early periods.

When these people speculate that Benin spoke Yoruba at some point in time, is Yoruba supposed to be an umbrella language that cover all dialects from Lagos to Anambra and Ikwerre in Rivers state?

Why didn't the Yoruba language or a dialect of it that you claimed Benin spoke reflects in the names of the various Oba, if these obas spoke Yoruba dialect as official language, why stop by just speaking the language without also bearing Yoruba names. Which of the Benin Obas that spoke Yoruba dialect has Yoruba name.
Re: Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor by TAO12: 6:07pm On May 06, 2020
lawani:
you are right but in the 19th century or so, the edo from the suburbs overwhelmed the capital and Benin princes are now edo.

Being a Yoruba is a blood thing. So, no matter how many Edo tribes from the suburb troop into the capital, the royal dynasty still retains its Ife patrilineal blood.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (44) (Reply)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Russian Kids Dancing Traditional Folk Music At Nigerian Independence Day / Fulani Siddika Sanusi And Abubakar Umar Kurfi's Kamu Traditional Ceremony

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.