Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,207 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! (31266 Views)

Japa Story: The Cost Of Relocating To The UK With Family / Virgin UK Passport: Can My 7-Year-Old Travel Out Of Nigeria? / German Embassy Seized My Passport Please Help Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by asiwaju: 8:15am On Jul 23, 2019
Rubicon67:

If you are travelling to the UK, you only need to present your British passport. However, when/if you are coming back to Nigeria for whatever reason, you will need your Nigerian passport or an entry visa on your British passport.

Having said that, it is to my understanding that you can only apply for a British passport from the British consulate in the country where you currently reside. Currently, first time application of a British passport must be PRESENT for biometric data capture etc. How your passport got sent from the UK is a mystery to me but maybe yours is an EXCEPTIONAL case.

Thanks for your observation,i think he is just a stupid liar wasting people time here.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Sedeez: 8:17am On Jul 23, 2019
Nanagom:
smiley

Really glad you’re leaving so the rest of us can see road.

I am really not enthusiastic to leave Nigeria and I don’t know why, my belief in this great nation is still very strong.

Two family members have tried to use this abroad level to scam me, one was we have husband for you in the America, you just gotta pay certain amount for him to come down and marry you bla bla bla.

Today they wanted to use Dubai level to scam me, smh

Na here I go take make am
Dome people can't just get sense in this country...
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Mcslize: 8:32am On Jul 23, 2019
nairalanduseles:

Yea sir I am

That's nice. Australia passport is a nice passport to own. One of the strongest passports in the world. 188 countries visa free no be beans.

It's definitely on my future plans. For the sake of my unborn kids. Even if I no fit do anything for them at least, I will want them to be dual citizens. Nice one bro. I hope you are Nigerian too?
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by jrusky(m): 8:55am On Jul 23, 2019
GEEBITE:
It is possible,it only takes a while for them to review your claim even if you have lost your birth certificate or your parents are dead.Even an authenticated DNA from a dead British parent especially from a dead father(if you were born by a British dad and a non birtish mum)can get you a British passport posted to you in Nigeria.

Bro I understand everything you are saying but did the guy mentioned any if his parent are British? Pls read his first post again.

Bro I have said it let him or you go to www.gov.uk you will find the answer there. I still remain on my point according to what the guy posted I have never seen or hear a child born in UK then taken to Nigeria, grew all his life in Nigeria with both parent Nigerians, non resident In Britain nor British citizen and British govt parcel British passport to him pls bro I have not heard of such if such has happen ed then it's a wonder. Thanks.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Nobody: 8:57am On Jul 23, 2019
asiwaju:

Thanks for your observation,i think he is just a stupid liar wasting people time here.
I had wondered the same, guy is a bloody liar! grin

To obtain a you will have to be present.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 23, 2019
jrusky:

I just asked a question why not allow him to answer?

Yea if you are born in UK you have the right to British Passport *BUt* if you are born in UK but live all your life outside the UK you will be given *right of aboard* to fly to UK with no visa with your birth Cert etc then when you get to UK you can now process your passport. My wife had similar situation but went back when she was 19 years old that was the procedure she passed through I have never witnessed or heard British passport was parcel or given to someone who has never owned the passport ever before in foreign land especially Nigeria so if you have heard of such kindly let us know.

If you don't belief me Pls go to www.gov.uk you will see your answer there boldly written.
.Google is your friend bro.
OP is telling lies, it is obvious.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Nobody: 9:00am On Jul 23, 2019
jrusky:

Bro I understand everything you are saying but did the guy mentioned any if his parent are British? Pls read his first post again.

Bro I have said it let him or you go to www.gov.uk you will find the answer there. I still remain on my point according to what the guy posted I have never seen or hear a child born in UK then taken to Nigeria, grew all his life in Nigeria with both parent Nigerians, non resident In Britain nor British citizen and British govt parcel British passport to him pls bro I have not heard of such if such has happen ed then it's a wonder. Thanks.
No need Arguing with these people,

You are right.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 23, 2019
danberg:
Good day all,
I recently got my UK passport sent from the UK after a successful application.
I was born in the UK but Nigerian by descent. I would like to know if I would be required to present my Nigerian passport at Muritala Mohammed Intl Airport in Lagos, before I can board, since there's no Nigerian visa on my new UK passport.

I am currently processing another Nigerian passport after I lost the former but I still possess an older one.

Advise from those familiar with this situation would be greatly appreciated!
My advise is that you get hold of both passports
Both Nigeria n UK passport
To avoid stories that touch the liver

1 Like

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by izombie(m): 9:22am On Jul 23, 2019
I travel with both my nigeria and south african passports without visas. Whenever i am leaving south africa i give the south african passport to immigration and they'll stamp me out. When i land murtala i give them the naija own for the arrival stamp. That's how i roll but i am now thinking of always using visa on my south african passport whenever i visit nigeria so that these officers at MMA will stop bothering me for roger or hailing me like say i be trump or obama. I have noticed that foreign passport holders are treated better that naija passport holders at MMA.

1 Like

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by nairalanduseles: 9:40am On Jul 23, 2019
Mcslize:

That's nice. Australia passport is a nice passport to own. One of the strongest passports in the world. 188 countries visa free no be beans.

It's definitely on my future plans. For the sake of my unborn kids. Even if I no fit do anything for them at least, I will want them to be dual citizens. Nice one bro. I hope you are Nigerian too?

Yea am Nigerian by birth ........my naija passport is expired will be going to Canberra to get a new one once I am coming home.........they make life easy ......rather get it here than back home.....I feel sad when I watch vids of people trying to get passport in Canada ....so dff here .....the ambassador actually once to meet us here ......
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Rubicon67(m): 11:08am On Jul 23, 2019
Enyimbamercedes:

Biometric capture can be done from the passport photograph and that is why they insist on a specific format. You do not necessarily have to be present But I agree that his case is exceptional!!
I had a baby passport in 1984 which expired while we were in Nigeria. We tried to renew in Abuja in 2003 and it was a hellish task!! They asked for rent documents, train tickets and any documentary evidence to prove we were in the UK at the of birth. Asked for our growing up pictures and even said DNA test. After a year, I just did a right of abode which only required a birth certificate, traveled, applied for the passport by post in the UK and got my passport in 3 weeks.
So how the OP got his posted to Nigeria first time is really exceptional and a mystery

Biometric data CANNOT be captured from a passport photograph. Biometric data involves the scanning and capturing of your retina and finger prints. How can you capture those from a passport photograph And without taking our eye off the ball here, I am a British citizen by birth and a frequent flyer to and from Nigeria, so I know what i am talking about.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Skyyoyo: 11:37am On Jul 23, 2019
You need a valid Nigerian passport. Otherwise be ready to settle. From personal experience.

1 Like

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Enyimbamercedes: 11:53am On Jul 23, 2019
Rubicon67:

Biometric data CANNOT be captured from a passport photograph. Biometric data involves the scanning and capturing of your retina and finger prints. How can you capture those from a passport photograph And without taking our eye off the ball here, I am a British citizen by birth and a frequent flyer to and from Nigeria, so I know what i am talking about.

So am I! I did not go to a passport office for any sort of capture and I got my passport via post and it was a biometric passport. Biometrics go further than retina and fingerprints. It is also measurements of facial features. Like i said, biometric data can be obtained from passport photos and that is why they insist on certain requirements; no face covering, no eye glasses, neutral facial expression, face camera directly.

I am a British Passport Holder by birth and I know what I am talking about too; mind you I’m on my third passport now and never have I done any capture; facial or finger print!!
https://www.persofoto.com/lexicon/passport/how-do-i-make-a-biometric-passport-photo/

For your reading pleasure

1 Like

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Rubicon67(m): 12:09pm On Jul 23, 2019
Enyimbamercedes:

So am I! I did not go to a passport office for any sort of capture and I got my passport via post and it was a biometric passport. Biometrics go further than retina and fingerprints. It is also measurements of facial features. Like i said, biometric data can be obtained from passport photos and that is why they insist on certain requirements; no face covering, no eye glasses, neutral facial expression, face camera directly.

I am a British Passport Holder by birth and I know what I am talking about too; mind you I’m on my third passport now and never have I done any capture; facial or finger print!!
https://www.persofoto.com/lexicon/passport/how-do-i-make-a-biometric-passport-photo/

For your reading pleasure

If you are a FIRST time applicant like the OP, the current requirement is that you must be PRESENT at the Passport issuing office or consulate for biometric data capture...without going into too much details, there is a reason for this. Also, if you are applying for SAME day passport, you will be required to provide biometric data whether you like it or not.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Enyimbamercedes: 12:23pm On Jul 23, 2019
Rubicon67:

If you are a FIRST time applicant like the OP, the current requirement is that you must be PRESENT at the Passport issuing office or consulate for biometric data capture...without going into too much details, there is a reason for this. Also, if you are applying for SAME day passport, you will be required to provide biometric data whether you like it or not.

I only countered your point that biometric data can only be collected physically. I countered by saying it can be collected from your passport photo.
No where in his original post did he mention anything about going to the passport issuing office or consulate. He only said he got it by post.

You categorically stated that biometric data cannot be collected from a passport photograph and went on to inform me of your status as a British Citizen and your status as a frequent flyer.

Unfortunately, I hate the UK and therefore do not fly there as frequently as you do but I know what I know. I hope therefore that at least you have learned that biometric data can be gotten from a passport photograph. That was the subject matter

1 Like

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Mcslize: 12:52pm On Jul 23, 2019
nairalanduseles:

Yea am Nigerian by birth ........my naija passport is expired will be going to Canberra to get a new one once I am coming home.........they make life easy ......rather get it here than back home.....I feel sad when I watch vids of people trying to get passport in Canada ....so dff here .....the ambassador actually once to meet us here ......

That's Nigeria for you. They make everything difficult for the citizens. We just hope for the best for this country of ours Nigeria.

Enjoy yourself in Aussie. Nothing beats living in a sane country like AU. I just hope the Nigeria embassy ain't making passport's application difficult for folks over there.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by KaizenO(m): 2:13pm On Jul 23, 2019
You can only fly out of Nigeria with either a Nigerian Passport (no need for UK visa on the passport) or your UK passport that has a Nigerian visa in it.

Since you are already in Nigeria and you cannot get a Nigerian visa in your UK passport in Nigeria, the realistic option is to travel out of Nigeria with your Nigerian Passport and when you get to the UK, go through UK immigration with your UK passport.

When returning to Nigeria from the UK, you either obtain a Nigerian visa on your UK passport or you leave the UK with your UK passport and enter Nigeria with your Nigerian passport.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Davoski222: 3:56pm On Jul 23, 2019
danberg:
Good day all,
I was born in the UK but Nigerian by descent. I would like to know if I would be required to present my Nigerian passport at Muritala Mohammed Intl Airport in Lagos, before I can board, since there's no Nigerian visa on my new UK passport.

I am currently processing another Nigerian passport after I lost the former but I still possess an older one.

Bro I was born in England and wish to apply for Uk passport, please give me some tips.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by soleexx(m): 5:46pm On Jul 23, 2019
Rubicon67:

It depends on your year of birth. Not all UK born individual are entitled to a British passport. The law changed in 1983.

so if you gve birth to a child in the UK from a Nigerian parents..wats d alternative to uk passport can the child have in possession..
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by soleexx(m): 5:52pm On Jul 23, 2019
Ibime:

If you are born after 1983,.you only need one parent to be British.

Prior to 1984, you had to be born in Britain or your father had to be British.

By 1984, being born in Britain no longer qualified you for citizenship . . . . but maternal citizenship was recognized.

I was born in Britain just before the law changed while my brother who was born in Naija after the law change was lucky to.get qualification through maternal parentage.

Can a Nigerian citizen that relocate to Uk permanently get a Uk passport someday?
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Ibime(m): 6:35pm On Jul 23, 2019
soleexx:

Can a Nigerian citizen that relocate to Uk permanently get a Uk passport someday?

You can become eligible for citizenship after 10 years. For some people, it's 5
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by BarristerAlarig: 2:58am On Jul 24, 2019
BlueAir:
a lil problem. .u cant carry two passports because legally u can only be a Nigerian or British..so you do understand it's safer not to use the Nigeria passport again?

Una can carry talk!! How difficult is it to just shut up when you aren't sure about a thing?
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by Nobody: 5:53am On Jul 24, 2019
If it was posted to you in Naija by a family member, it's actually illegal and you may encounter issues when you attempt to fly with it. I've witnessed individuals where the passport was seized and destroyed by the British Consulate.

Best thing, get a Naija passport, when you're leaving Naija, present Naija passport, when you arrive in the UK, present British pali.

Now, on arrival at the UK, you can either scan your passport at the e-reader or be called to the immigration desk, depending on how busy it is.

If it is the first, all good, if it is the second, you just need to be careful how you answer the questions posed to you. Examples. If asked is this your first time in the UK and you say yes, red flag don go up be dat. Passport will be seen as issued in the UK and here you are travelling in with it for the first time outside the UK.

Just give brief responses, like, you went on holiday, visited family, going back home. Where is home? London. Where specifically? Get your family to give you details and memorise them. If they can give you some small British pounds and coins to hold, even better.

Do you have a job in the UK? No. Applications are ongoing. Waiting to hear back from them.

Lesson don end
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by justwise(m): 6:06am On Jul 24, 2019
kress2m1:
If it was posted to you in Naija by a family member, it's actually illegal and you may encounter issues when you attempt to fly with it. I've witnessed individuals where the passport was seized and destroyed by the British Consulate.

Best thing, get a Naija passport, when you're leaving Naija, present Naija passport, when you arrive in the UK, present British pali.

Now, on arrival at the UK, you can either scan your passport at the e-reader or be called to the immigration desk, depending on how busy it is.

If it is the first, all good, if it is the second, you just need to be careful how you answer the questions posed to you. Examples. If asked is this your first time in the UK and you say yes, red flag don go up be dat. Passport will be seen as issued in the UK and here you are travelling in with it for the first time outside the UK.

Just give brief responses, like, you went on holiday, visited family, going back home. Where is home? London. Where specifically? Get your family to give you details and memorise them. If they can give you some small British pounds and coins to hold, even better.

Do you have a job in the UK? No. Applications are ongoing. Waiting to hear back from them.

Lesson don end
There's no need writing this long story because he doesn't need it.

If you apply for British passport from Nigeria it could be posted to you from anywhere, that is not your problem as you don't choose where your passport will be issued.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by wayodude(m): 8:12am On Jul 24, 2019
BlueAir:
a lil problem. .u cant carry two passports because legally u can only be a Nigerian or British..so you do understand it's safer not to use the Nigeria passport again?

Comman see sontin. Lol na wa
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by blank(f): 12:02pm On Jul 24, 2019
kress2m1:

Lesson don end

Like the British immigration don't know where they issued the passport?

1 Like

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by godwon01(m): 2:59pm On Jul 24, 2019
Kingzy4pep:
What if you had your kids before you got your citizenship?
No way.
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by kunzzy4me(m): 4:21pm On Jul 24, 2019
My cousin who is a Dutch citizen and carrying Dutch passport.. Always jet out of netherland with his Dutch passport and present his naija passport at the Lagos airport to come in.. And when leaving naija he present his Dutch passport at the Lagos airport...
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by kunzzy4me(m): 4:29pm On Jul 24, 2019
But the amazing thing is that... His twins child were born here in Nigerian and he filed for them while he is in netherland... After the approval of their document over there. He came to naija and took his kids to their embassy in Lagos for their finger print and face capture.. And after some weeks they sent his kids Dutch passport from Netherlands to Nigerian.. He sent his wife to pick them up.. And the kids and his wife are all in netherlands now living with him
Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by greggng: 11:07am On Jul 25, 2019
danberg:
Good day all,

I eventually got his view and I have to attach the screenshot of our conversation

Re: First-time Trip To UK With UK Passport: Please Advise! by segun688: 4:56pm On Jul 25, 2019
Davoski222:
Bro I was born in England and wish to apply for Uk passport, please give me some tips.
depends on the year you were born. if it was before 1983, you might be able to get the passport. If you lived there for the first 7-10 years of your life ( and you have solid evidence) it might also be feasible. However, if you were born after 1983 and left immediately, it becomes more complicated. Check gov.uk for further information. you might be eligible for the Windrush scheme.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A South African Lady Condemns Attack On Nigerians, Calls Them Nice People / Oshodi Bus Terminal Decaying, Motorists, Passengers Lament / Tourism: Forget Dubai,london; Visit Yankari — Bauchi Gov

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.