Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,203 members, 7,953,745 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:53 AM

Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids (17873 Views)

How Do I Apologize To My Wife? / Should Parents Apologize To Their Children When They're Wrong? / Nigerians Advised To Buy Black Dolls For Their Kids. See Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by enemyofprogress: 11:06pm On Aug 12, 2019
asuustrike1:

The rigid method hasn't help either instead it has groomed weird men in the society. It has made many to be timid , jealous and brutal towards their neighbours
and today's methods what did they bring?
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by Nobody: 12:20am On Aug 13, 2019
enemyofprogress:
and today's methods what did they bring?
Today's method has reshaped many kids in their thinking and differentiating right from wrong

1 Like

Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by ZIMDRILL(m): 2:03am On Aug 13, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

This is d best in i wil read today, dont mind all dos halfdone babies joo. african parents are training u ahead IN CASE the unthinkable hapens in d future, one never can tell, one may find himself/herself in an unfamiliar situation in the near future by den u must hav been groomed, no wonder we re having too much teenage suicide this days.

i think you both missed the point

i believe the sorry being asked, is where a sorry is due, not sorry over displining a child

its hard for most african parents to say sorry where sorry is due
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by daddyfreeman1(m): 3:10am On Aug 13, 2019
My mom do apologize... I'm proud of my mom. My dad don't often apologize, he rarely do that, but sometimes he does.
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by OlawaleBammie: 4:27am On Aug 13, 2019
ZIMDRILL:

i think you both missed the point

i believe the sorry being asked, is where a sorry is due, not sorry over displining a child

its hard for most african parents to say sorry where sorry is due
Sorry for weytiinnnnn??.?? sorry ko, sopa ni!! in Africa, our parent says sorry but not verbally most of d tyms, dey say it with gift, der are not daft, sometimes wen dey feel u hav bn wrongly accused dey wil try everything to appease you even in their attitudes and behaviors towards u u wil knw but dey may find it litle hard to say sorry verbally.
and d reason is if same scenario hapens another day, u wil b expecting dem to beg u, u wil turn dem to ur mate, even if u re at fault u wil stil b expecting sorry from dem.
dat is how it has been and i love it dat way, nowadays u find 17yr old child taking his life, if u ask why, dey wil say dey've bn tampered with emotionally, kilonjebee, na our all dis new generation parent who are copying the oyinbos dat is causing all dis halfbaked children all around in d name of not tampering with emotions, am sure if my parents had happened to b one of dis new generation parent who claim dey dont discipline child even if dey do dey wil b begging d child like d child wil go bak to heaven if he's not appeased i swear i would have committed suicide looooong ago.
In Yoruba land we hav one saying which goes thus.
...if a child ofend an elder the child must b d one to beg the elder and if its vice versa its stil d child who wil beg d elder... ask a genuine, i mean a genuine yoruba parent he wil confirm dis to u.

begi ko, pele ni
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:07am On Aug 13, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

Sorry for weytiinnnnn??.?? sorry ko, sopa ni!! in Africa, our parent says sorry but not verbally most of d tyms, dey say it with gift, der are not daft, sometimes wen dey feel u hav bn wrongly accused dey wil try everything to appease you even in their attitudes and behaviors towards u u wil knw but dey may find it litle hard to say sorry verbally.
and d reason is if same scenario hapens another day, u wil b expecting dem to beg u, u wil turn dem to ur mate, even if u re at fault u wil stil b expecting sorry from dem.
dat is how it has been and i love it dat way, nowadays u find 17yr old child taking his life, if u ask why, dey wil say dey've bn tampered with emotionally, kilonjebee, na our all dis new generation parent who are copying the oyinbos dat is causing all dis halfbaked children all around in d name of not tampering with emotions, am sure if my parents had happened to b one of dis new generation parent who claim dey dont discipline child even if dey do dey wil b begging d child like d child wil go bak to heaven if he's not appeased i swear i would have committed suicide looooong ago.
In Yoruba land we hav one saying which goes thus.
...if a child ofend an elder the child must b d one to beg the elder and if its vice versa its stil d child who wil beg d elder... ask a genuine, i mean a genuine yoruba parent he wil confirm dis to u.

begi ko, pele ni

you are mixing too many things into one
i think most people understood the sorry being talked about a verbal sorry where its due there is nothing complicated about it.

even up now, your own parents they wouldnt even say sorry to you as grown up simply becoz of that hierarchy system whereby elders are always right

where one who is younger is not allowed to question or express his/her feeling, etc

2 Likes

Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by OlawaleBammie: 7:54am On Aug 13, 2019
ZIMDRILL:

you are mixing too many things into one
i think most people understood the sorry being talked about a verbal sorry where its due there is nothing complicated about it.

even up now, your own parents they wouldnt even say sorry to you as grown up simply becoz of that hierarchy system whereby elders are always right

where one who is younger is not allowed to question or express his/her feeling, etc
who told u we d minors dont express feelings, me as i am, i used to, if am not wrong and am acused i wil let dem know biko, but dey wil reply with sentence like.... **Wale semi lon bawi bayen?? na me u dey talk to like dat?? aahh we hav become mate abi? wen did u start dat? and d likes** den i would hav already aired my view, African parent wont allow u to air ur mind meekly and responsibly, u wil hear dem sayin... am talking and u re talkin abi??.. lol, but if u go a mild-violent den u wil talk and dey wil b forced to hear u out, mind u, dat doesnt mean dey wil beg u oo, cus if dey do ahh, dey are reducing der strongholds on u.

i love our parent, i love d way dey behave, its a blessing to us children joo (i mean better parent oo)
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by Kirchhoff01(m): 10:05am On Aug 13, 2019
Accountantgener:
A nairalander who claims to sell data,he is a scammer I just sent the sum of 5,000naira to him today and he gave me a non existing code to use in checking my data balance which is *131*65*2*1*2# and that code does not actually exist,his real names are AGU KENECHUKWU,ACCESS BANK, A/C NOS IS 0761393797 and his phone number is 09065287121 Pls share this message across to everyone until the whole world gets it to help a neighbour avoid been scammed online.
What's his NL moniker?
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by Fourwinds: 11:32am On Aug 13, 2019
donbachi:
For where?..they will never.they feels been parents means they must be right always....na so my parent warned my not to collect a thing from anybody...we come owe land 2years+.my aunty with her husband wey come from jand hand me 1k dollars na e i tell am "thank u"..if u see d sweat wey come out from my parent body,my fada eye red for 1week...na so dat my aunty husband sey"wow u're such a gud boy"..when dem don go na e my fada n moda call me enter room dey ask me"dat they cant remember telling me such"....dem beat me for 5months till my aunty finally send d rent.
hahahahaaaa
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by may320: 2:59pm On Aug 13, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

This is d best in i wil read today, dont mind all dos halfdone babies joo. african parents are training u ahead IN CASE the unthinkable hapens in d future, one never can tell, one may find himself/herself in an unfamiliar situation in the near future by den u must hav been groomed, no wonder we re having too much teenage suicide this days.
You right!
Too much over-pampered indomie kids who lack morals and can't think right these days.
I wonder what the op is trying to justify. Aren't kids stubborn and annoying? The Bible even advice that we should not spare them the rod.
Our parents are great and we must at least give them kudos, especially some of us that have/had disciplinarians as parents, we came to understand and cherish this as adults.
When he/she marries and have kids, she'll understand what's up. smiley
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by OlawaleBammie: 5:00pm On Aug 13, 2019
may320:

You right!
Too much over-pampered indomie kids who lack morals and can't think right these days.
I wonder what the op is trying to justify. Aren't kids stubborn and annoying? The Bible even advice that we should not spare them the rod.
Our parents are great and we must at least give them kudos, especially some of us that have/had disciplinarians as parents, we came to understand and cherish this as adults.
When he/she marries and have kids, she'll understand what's up. smiley
Dont mind dem, even God knows i cant trade our culture in exchange for any other culture in d world, before our parent beat u dey must hav been warning u for days, even weeks before dey finally unleash d wrath in dem. and dey wouldn't hav done dat if u re right with dem, are u telling me u wants to b begged in light of d punishment for ur sins??
What we fail to realize is dat all dis training are to make us more stronger mentally psychologically and even physically among our contemporaries wen we grow old.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by Follar: 3:55pm On Aug 20, 2019
Stupidmodes:

Look more like childish rant. But let me ask you, do you have kids? If you don't then close the thread.
I do have kids and we are good friends. I scold them when necessary and they understand why. Sometimes they don't and I really don't care as much as the message is passed across and well understood. To my kids they know me as a different person for different situations.. I am a pampering mother, a soldier, a lover, a friend, a bully, a teacher, a pastor, a business partner.... To name a few..... Situation tells how I react, this way am unpredictable. I respect their opinion and they accept mine. No matter what and how many times I say sorry, AM STILL THEIR PARENT, they don't have no choice.. I lead by example
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by Follar: 3:58pm On Aug 20, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

Dont mind dem, even God knows i cant trade our culture in exchange for any other culture in d world, before our parent beat u dey must hav been warning u for days, even weeks before dey finally unleash d wrath in dem. and dey wouldn't hav done dat if u re right with dem, are u telling me u wants to b begged in light of d punishment for ur sins??
What we fail to realize is dat all dis training are to make us more stronger mentally psychologically and even physically among our contemporaries wen we grow old.
So true but do you know you can cause a mental damage to the child that way..... All way round violence doesn't train a child... Such child sees violence as solutions to situation and we have only few who has been able to get over it and refuse to dwell on such life
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by larryking540: 4:04pm On Aug 20, 2019
ednut1:
African parents are part of the reasons africa is backward. The abused children even when older cannot speak up against it because of respect

exactly, d abuse is high,
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by larryking540: 4:08pm On Aug 20, 2019
Follar:

So true but do you know you can cause a mental damage to the child that way..... All way round violence doesn't train a child... Such child sees violence as solutions to situation and we have only few who has been able to get over it and refuse to dwell on such life

that's tru,my father apologizes though hardly does dat but my mother never,so I my self find it difficult apologizing to her, when I am wrong becus I never see her Apologize to anyone, she is d only person nobody wish to b like, shoulder high like kilimajaro
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by OlawaleBammie: 4:12pm On Aug 20, 2019
Follar:

Nope, u missed it, dis is not bn violent against ur offsprings, this is just normal checkmate u do on dem wen dey misbehave, see my brother all the children u re seeing outside der hav different tendencies to go beyond der boundaries, there are some children dat u dont need to touch dem, just scold dem verbally and dey wil start crying, these are the emotional ones, even u as a father wil b mean should u go ahead to flog him/her, dey dont need floggings, dey only need shout, shikena but people like us, ahh people like us, am included oo, hmmm truly i hate it wen am badly worded but dat does nt mean i wont get over ur nerves tomorrow, i bless d day my parent start flogging me grin i bless the beating me and my mates received during our secondary school days, cus from my js1 to ss3 hardly wil i come across a day i wont recv canes, but today am always grtful to God for how i was handled cus tru it i never, ever misbehaved and now i would just burst into lafter weneva i tot of d past grin

see if u hav a stubborn lads pls dont spare the rod oo, but if u hav d emotional ones u dont need to touch dem, just shout and dey wil start regretin der actions.
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by OlawaleBammie: 4:14pm On Aug 20, 2019
larryking540:

that's tru,my father apologizes though hardly does dat but my mother never,so I my self find it difficult apologizing to her, when I am wrong becus I never see her Apologize to anyone, she is d only person nobody wish to b like, shoulder high like kilimajaro
Ahh mother and child feud, dis one laud oogrin
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by Follar: 4:21pm On Aug 20, 2019
OlawaleBammie:

Nope, u missed it, dis is not bn violent against ur offsprings, this is just normal checkmate u do on dem wen dey misbehave, see my brother all the children u re seeing outside der hav different tendencies to go beyond der boundaries, there are some children dat u dont need to touch dem, just scold dem verbally and dey wil start crying, these are the emotional ones, even u as a father wil b mean should u go ahead to flog him/her, dey dont need floggings, dey only need shout, shikena but people like us, ahh people like us, am included oo, hmmm truly i hate it wen am badly worded but dat does nt mean i wont get over ur nerves tomorrow, i bless d day my parent start flogging me grin i bless the beating me and my mates received during our secondary school days, cus from my js1 to ss3 hardly wil i come across a day i wont recv canes, but today am always grtful to God for how i was handled cus tru it i never, ever misbehaved and now i would just burst into lafter weneva i tot of d past grin

see if u hav a stubborn lads pls dont spare the rod oo, but if u hav d emotional ones u dont need to touch dem, just shout and dey wil start regretin der actions.

Every Child has a strong willed tendency to be wayward but the fact remains, how did u start the background training of the child... Children who are highly flogged end up getting used to it and begin to find ways to overcome flogging then u need another strategy or increased flogging.... Where as if u had built the foundation on understanding guilt and sourcing other means of punishment the child will get used to it.. N flogging will be rare..... My dad flogged the living he'll out of me n my siblings and guess what we all despise him... Now he is trying to be friends with us because no one really has his time anymore.... My mum flogs but on a rare occasion... She used mostly body language, sign language, things that scared us, and occasionally flogging... My mum is not the perfect one but everyone is still glued to her.. We joke about what different sign and body language meant... I tell u if my mum had also being like my dad, I won't be who or what I am today..... I still do not agree to corporal punishment as a way of training and not saying sorry to your child occasionally is totally barbaric and wrong... I quote occasionally... Not all the time.. But make sure it is understood
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by OlawaleBammie: 4:22pm On Aug 20, 2019
larryking540:

u and dis ur mother self, is it nt same mother u acused of inf.d...ty abi na me no see well?? oga gan oo, i guess dat is d reason u find it hard to apologize to her weneva u go wrong, but brother, u dont need to do dat, irrespective of her wrongdoing shes stil ur mama, in yoruba culture, irrespective of d ofender, the youngest is always obligated to apologize to d eldest, pls make peace with her.
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by OlawaleBammie: 4:25pm On Aug 20, 2019
Follar:

Every Child has a strong willed tendency to be wayward but the fact remains, how did u start the background training of the child... Children who are highly flogged end up getting used to it and begin to find ways to overcome flogging then u need another strategy or increased flogging.... Where as if u had built the foundation on understanding guilt and sourcing other means of punishment the child will get used to it.. N flogging will be rare..... My dad flogged the living he'll out of me n my siblings and guess what we all despise him... Now he is trying to be friends with us because no one really has his time anymore.... My mum flogs but on a rare occasion... She used mostly body language, sign language, things that scared us, and occasionally flogging... My mum is not the perfect one but everyone is still glued to her.. We joke about what different sign and body language meant... I tell u if my mum had also being like my dad, I won't be who or what I am today..... I still do not agree to corporal punishment as a way of training and not saying sorry to your child occasionally is totally barbaric and wrong... I quote occasionally... Not all the time.. But make sure it is understood
hmm, otiyemi, i got u right.

with dis analysis i guess u re a woman?? anyways, i got ur point.
Re: Is There A Way To Make African Parents Apologize To Their Kids by tot(f): 11:05am On Aug 21, 2019
grace008:
Yes, if you are teaching them how to operate an Android phone, infact you can even send them to bring water for you.

Hahaha, this is so true.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play / Old Couple In Wedding Attire / Is It HygienicTo Eat Breakfast Before Brushing Your Teeth?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.