Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:41 AM

Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) (36866 Views)

Ghana Players Yet To Forgive Luis Suarez's 2010 World Cup Handball / Aftermath Of Super Eagles World Cup Qualification: 10 Funny Pictures / Leon Balogun‏ Shows Off His Parents To Celebrate 2018 World Cup Qualification (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by dre11(m): 10:31am On Aug 20, 2019
Solape Lawal-Solarin

Yet to come to terms with FIFA’s life ban on ex-Super Eagles coach, Samson Siasia, for bribery and match manipulation, the country’s football community have been jolted again with a viral video, where notorious Singaporean match-fixer Wilson Raj Perumal claimed he fixed the Super Eagles’ 2010 World Cup qualifier against Kenya to help the Eagles qualify for the Mundial in South Africa.

Perumal, who headed an underground match-fixing syndicate based in Singapore, opened up on his dirty deals and connivance with players, football federation officials from Kenya, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Lesotho, Togo and Nigeria to manipulate and fix matches.

Perumal, who was jailed for two years for fixing and manipulating matches at international level, revealed in an interview with Al-Jazeera’s undercover series, People and Power, how he tapped up some African national team players and their federations in fixing international friendlies and matches during South Africa 2010 world cup qualifiers through his company Football For You international.

“Evading securities, it became more sophisticated and we decided to reach out to federations and players in South East Asia and Africa. It was easy to convince players and officials from these impoverished areas.

“Zimbabwe was the first national team to fall under my spell. I promised to take care of the entire Warriors’ feeding, accommodation and traveling expenses while also guaranteeing them $50,000 per match in 2008, provided they play ball,” he said.

However, four years later, the Zimbabwean media exposed the scandal branding it Asia Gate. And, about 80 Zimbabwean players and officials were axed by the country’s football governing body ZIMFA in 2012.

The Singaporean in a lengthy detail, explained how him and partner, Manimaran Kalimuthu, met some officials of the Nigeria Federation Football at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja, early 2009 to strike a deal ahead of the Super Eagles make-or-break 2010 final qualifier against Kenya.

“I got to meet officials of the Nigerian football federation through a Nigerian football agent, Odira Sylvester Ezeh. I had invited the national team before to Malaysia for the Intercontinental Cup.”

Perumal, alongside his trusted associate, flew to Nigeria in 2009 to meet with NFF officials.

“I told them I’ll make sure I do everything to make Nigeria qualify for the World Cup in 2010, as I’ve got two to three players in the Kenyan team that are ready while my company will give Mozambique $100,000 for getting a positive result against Tunisia in Maputo.”

In exchange, he wanted his company to get the official mandate to organise pre-W/Cup friendlies for the Eagles.

Nigeria beat Kenya 3-2 in Nairobi, while the Black Mambas grabbed the three points off Tunisia with a shock win.

But Perumal was left furious as the final 3-2 score cost him millions of dollars.

“He was really angry when the three Kenyan players came up to the hotel room. He told them he lost millions because he told them to make sure it was a two-goal difference and not one. I didn’t see him pay the trio any money, “Kalimuthu confessed.

Documents in his possession had names of former NFF officials, like former Head, International Competition, Dr Muhammed Sanusi.

Though, the former came out to vehemently deny knowing the Singaporean when Aljazeera reached out to him.

Another disturbing revelation was the pictorial evidence of embattled ex-U-23 coach Samson Siasia standing beside Perumal during the Eagles’ Intercontinental Cup tourney in Malaysia.

https://punchng.com/perumal-how-i-fixed-nigerias-2010-world-cup-qualification/

2 Likes

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by gibzzhd: 10:55am On Aug 20, 2019
I knew that match was fixed.fear football.infact that day I was boasting TB Joshua prophecy would hit the dust.I was confident except it was fixed.And I watch shaking my head screaming this is match fixing.Many weird games we see today are also fix.I suspected Liverpool vs Barca last season too.Many others too

75 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by realestniggah: 1:43pm On Aug 20, 2019
Nigerians will just keep spoiling our image, and you wonder why we keep getting stigmatized overseas.

You can't go anywhere abroad and tell people you are a Nigerian proudly because of things like this.

Even in Ghana our name is ruined

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by LongrichPlanet: 1:44pm On Aug 20, 2019
Mehn match fixing is real. I once organised a grassroots football tournament in my city for amateur clubs with a winning prize of just 50k. Do you know a team needing points to qualify paid thousands to their opponents who had already qualified in order for them to allow them win by several goals. Omo na so this team that was the strongest team in the tournament, suddenly started conceding stupid goals and their goalkeeper who had been invited to flying eagles camp before,faked injury and went off to be replaced by one rubbish goalkeeper. The whole thing was happening before my eyes like a well scripted movie. I called the referee and told him to continue as if nothing happened. After the match I formed a committee and deducted points from both teams as well as fined them,then awarded the points to the other team that would have disqualified if their fixing plan went ahead. So fixing in football is a real something it's not theory

Buy and use Longrich products and get paid while doing so. This is guaranteed. Ask me how on 08154847880

57 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by ntyce(m): 1:44pm On Aug 20, 2019
So this man is saying the eagles can't defeat Kenya?

Let him park well.

Was it the picture he took with Siasia that led to his ban cos I didn't read anything Siasia did wrong.

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 20, 2019
Inside life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by BarrElChapo(m): 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2019
hmmmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by PEPPERified: 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2019
I was feeling sorry for Siasia, but with this revelations, I think he should face the full wrath of the law.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by nabegibeg: 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by Kingzeez10: 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2019
Nkan nbẹ́

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by Biritiko: 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2019
Lil

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by folks4luv(f): 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2019
Another addition to our already battered image. Weldon Nigeria!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by princeade86(m): 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2019
hmmmmm.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by Nobody: 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2019
These are the real match fixer's not the one's you see on nairaland.

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by Amuocha: 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2019
Blood of Buhari ohhhhhhhh shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by Officialgarri: 1:46pm On Aug 20, 2019
The match last match Nigeria lost in the African cup group stage was fixed.

Even if the coach knew nothing about it, I'm sure Ekong and others had something to do with the loss

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by NwaNimo1(m): 1:47pm On Aug 20, 2019
You fixed a match but list millions?

That's not fixing......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by juliusocean(m): 1:47pm On Aug 20, 2019
Too bad Nigeria is corrupt in every area

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by Niyiboi: 1:47pm On Aug 20, 2019
When you see a 12 odds team defeating a 1.15 odds team, these are the people in action. Match fixers!

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by folks4luv(f): 1:47pm On Aug 20, 2019
But wait o, is there anything we can do well without corrupting in this country? Nothing!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by Udeude: 1:47pm On Aug 20, 2019
smiley

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by okeniti: 1:47pm On Aug 20, 2019
Barca v PSG 6-1, Ghana v Burkina Faso 2013 AFCON referee was mad suspicious. Those two matches for me I believe were fixed. Honourable mention for Italy v South Korea WC 2002 and Chelsea v Barca.

gibzzhd:
I knew that match was fixed.fear football.infact that day I was boasting TB Joshua prophecy would hit the dust.I was confident except it was fixed.And I watch shaking my head screaming this is match fixing.Many weird games we see today are also fix.I suspected Liverpool vs Barca last season too.Many others too

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by tragergeorge(m): 1:48pm On Aug 20, 2019
gibzzhd:
sharap ,,,,dem no see match talk say dem fix,,na against Kenya..name the better team Kenya don win since 2010

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by bamasite(m): 1:48pm On Aug 20, 2019
Jesu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by princeade86(m): 1:48pm On Aug 20, 2019
gibzzhd:
even barca vs psg, Roma vs barca

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by Bawizzo(m): 1:49pm On Aug 20, 2019
oh! Ferguson.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by iluvdonjazzy: 1:49pm On Aug 20, 2019
the next thing now is for FIFA to ban Nigeria for life, e no dey had them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by Princedapace(m): 1:50pm On Aug 20, 2019
gibzzhd:

Same here. I strongly believe liverPool match vs Barca was fixed too. I strongly believe it. That win gave too much money to betting companies.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by majamajic(m): 1:50pm On Aug 20, 2019
see am

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perumal: How I Fixed Nigeria’s 2010 World Cup Qualification (Pic) by ehemwhy(m): 1:50pm On Aug 20, 2019
Dr Larry Izamoje said this on Brila FM that year o ! He was part of the presidential panel that recommended that Nigeria should not participate in any Fifa event for two years in order to get our football back on track .. He was bold about it ...said only the NFF can explain how Nigeria qualified for the world cup ...this will have lasting repercussions o !

36 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yaya Toure Sent Off After 10 Seconds Of Final Football Match In China (Photos) / Paul Onuachu Scores Second Fastest Goal In International Football History / Kenneth Omeruo Proposes To Chioma Nnamani (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.