Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,049 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:00 AM

Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal (22004 Views)

Laura Ikeji To Undergo Cosmetic Surgery Because Of Tonto Dikeh / Laura Ikeji And Her Son, Ryan Kanu Adorable In New Photo / King Kelly Exposes Laura Ikeji After She Sacked Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by wharley01(m): 10:52am On Aug 23, 2019
erico2k2:

Dem don the flog Africans since 15BC, we don change?

I wonder
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Equation89(m): 10:52am On Aug 23, 2019
Kingosytex:

My town man does that. He has a particular room in his house in America that he labelled "NIGERIA", if any of his kids misbehaves, he takes that person straight into "NIGERIA" and deal with him. This sounds funny but true.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by hero2000: 10:52am On Aug 23, 2019
Adepet222:
From other point she is right because if some teachers should be beat in front of u, u will support her point.

You said, 'some'. So because some teachers or parents mususe caning, we should now prevent everybody?
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Nobody: 10:52am On Aug 23, 2019
Kingosytex:

My town man does that. He has a particular room in his house in America that he labelled "NIGERIA", if any of his kids misbehaves, he takes that person straight into "NIGERIA" and deal with him. This sounds funny but true.
Hahaha! Are you for real??
That your uncle harsh oh! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by tck2000(m): 10:53am On Aug 23, 2019
Rubbish
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Ajanaku3015: 10:53am On Aug 23, 2019
Flogging is in our culture
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Nthrone(m): 10:54am On Aug 23, 2019
A teacher without a cane is like a policeman without a gun. both should not be stopped from using it but should be thought on how to judiciously use it. Because without a cane how else will instill discipline in kids.
Teaching kids without a cane, the teacher go shout tire.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by sinaj(f): 10:55am On Aug 23, 2019
DJInfluence:
Which also made them timid in public. Punishment is ok if it doesn´t involve bodily harm to that kid.
which is why I pointed out that some parents and teachers abuse it.
That doesnt mean it should be taken away, but rather watched.

2 Likes

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by BluntBoy(m): 10:56am On Aug 23, 2019
DJInfluence:
Which also made them timid in public. Punishment is ok if it doesn´t involve bodily harm to that kid.

Even the likes of Soyinka who have always been very outspoken were disciplined by their very educated parents.

Fela's father was the principal of the secondary school that Soyinka went. He was known as Daodu and feared everywhere because of his cane. Did it make Fela or Koyi or Soyinka timid?

As a matter of fact, they had mad teachers in those days and many of their products came out exceptional.

It is careless to say that flogging causes a child to be timid.

2 Likes

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Angelfrost(m): 10:57am On Aug 23, 2019
Smh... This one thinks she actually matters.

It's actually the reduction in flogging and age long discipline in the last 2 decades that contributed to the high involvement in crime, whoring, rape, and other proclivities among our youths...

Every time I think of stealing or touching a lady inappropriately (not even rape) I just remember the strokes of cane received both at home and in school (more at school), and immediately my brain resets... There are many ways to discipline children, but flogging (within limits) is indispensable.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by hero2000: 10:57am On Aug 23, 2019
Born2Breed:
Some people are confirmed idio.ts.

If you think sparing the rod spoils the child then flog your biological child, not the child I put in your care after paying you.

This has never happened to me and will never happen. If you flog my child then I flog you outside the school premises.

One silly woman on the run now,flogged her daughter to death all in the name of I don't want to spare the rod bull crap.

Most people supporting flogging ain't even married,carry belle and open ur leg to push baby out then u go understand mother hen and the chicks story.

So you are the only one who has children. And most likely you have at most 2. What about billions of women like you worldwide who think some caning is beneficial for the babies they also carried in their tummy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by sinaj(f): 11:00am On Aug 23, 2019
JuanDeDios:

Ok.

In terms of evil, corruption, kidnapping, fraud, armed robbery, lying, bad parenting, lateness, bad work ethics and every other index of measuring the badness of human beings, Nigeria is turning out better adults than those white countries, right?
Learn to read between lines and interpret what you read according to the context.
Thank you.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by bonnyhope: 11:03am On Aug 23, 2019
Rubbish talk
That is why mannerless children scattered everywhere
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by hero2000: 11:03am On Aug 23, 2019
ornicus:
yes, all the wonderful beatings have made us wonderful nigerians and world class leaders , not so?

i'm sure the yahoo boys, ritual u murderers, gang rapists , thieving politicians, fulani herdsmen, armed robbers, killer policemen, sars , drug dealers etc were never flogged in their childhood.

look around you and you can see the benefits of corporal punishment everywhere

laura ikeji much as i loathe her, is right.

all most of this beating does is reinforce a mindset that violence , solves all problems

and violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

that is why you see people , well dressed in a car accident immediately begin fighting. because that is what they have been taught by beatings
that is why youth corpers will go into an office to seize [steal] computers
that is why frustrated parents are beating their kids to death.

we see them on this forum too, unable to make an argument without threats of violence and i will deal with you.

you want to see what beatings do to a person - watch how tacha of bbn relates versus the way mike relates
that is what beating ultimately does, and we see it everywhere. we are all aggressive and violent

So USA wen they no dey beat their pikin, you no see as dem no dey fight? Lol!
What about the mass shootings??

Your argument is like saying all robbers and kidnappers and Yahoo Yahoo all took bread, so bread should be banned!

What makes children turn out badly is usually bad parenting. Not caning or caning is not the matter. And Believe me, good parenting usually involves caning when needed.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by sinaj(f): 11:04am On Aug 23, 2019
BluntBoy:

Even the likes of Soyinka who have always been very outspoken were disciplined by their very educated parents.

Fela's father was the principal of the secondary school that Soyinka went. He was known as Daodu and feared everywhere because of his cane. Did it make Fela or Koyi or Soyinka timid?

As a matter of fact, they had mad teachers in those days and many of their products came out exceptional.

It is careless to say that flogging causes a child to be timid.
Flogging can also cause a child to be timid but it depends on parenting and the child's nature not just flogging.

The key there is understanding the child very well and knowing the disciplinary action to take when they do something wrong.
A child can take correction from just scolding or threat while the next child might need a cane to learn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by McRhymesman: 11:05am On Aug 23, 2019
you think say na abroad u dey
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by adedayoa2(f): 11:06am On Aug 23, 2019
I remember when I was in primary 4, after teaching us division that day, Mrs Fafure called me out to solve it. I had forgotten immediately, just one stroke on my back, I shouted I remember, I remember. And I solved it, if not for the stroke how I for remember?

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by BluntBoy(m): 11:06am On Aug 23, 2019
sinaj:
Flogging can also cause a child to be timid but it depends on parenting and the child's nature not just flogging.

Sorry, I thought I was quoting the person that I quoted originally.

Yes, it depends on a whole lot of factors. Any form of punishment if not used judiciously can harm a child's mental development.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by jaxxy(m): 11:06am On Aug 23, 2019
I believe children shud be flogged bt only as a last option for misbehavior. If u can’t flog a child at all especially for certain bad acts u might be destroying the child indirectly by lack of proper correction. Also flogging for flimsy reasons is also destructive and counterproductive.

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Ugosample(m): 11:07am On Aug 23, 2019
Born2Breed:
Some people are confirmed idio.ts.

If you think sparing the rod spoils the child then flog your biological child, not the child I put in your care after paying you.

This has never happened to me and will never happen. If you flog my child then I flog you outside the school premises.

One silly woman on the run now,flogged her daughter to death all in the name of I don't want to spare the rod bull crap.

Most people supporting flogging ain't even married,carry belle and open ur leg to push baby out then u go understand mother hen and the chicks story.

your last paragraph is wrong

my mother pushed out many babies

and she smacked us at intervals

better smacking

my paternal grandma gave birth to many
and she smacked well well too

so that point of "pushing baby bla bla bla" is invalid

that said

I am somewhat on the fence when it comes to smacking kids...
only parents should have the right to smack kids (that is if you must smack)

and moderation is the key when smacking

because Nigerians have abused smacking and its now transferred aggression
there has to be some regulation in place against such

But the good ole smacking your head with newspaper (my father favourite then cheesy cheesy) a knock on the head and other soft targets etc is not out of order if you ask me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by sinaj(f): 11:07am On Aug 23, 2019
BluntBoy:

Any form of punishment can make a child timid. But to single out flogging is rather careless.

If you don't flog your child but put them down with nasty words every time they don't behave well, you will kill their self-esteem.
Yea you right

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Ugosample(m): 11:07am On Aug 23, 2019
jaxxy:
I believe children shud be flogged bt only as a last option for misbehavior. If u can’t flog a child at all especially for certain bad acts u might be destroying the child indirectly by lack of proper correction. Also flogging for flimsy reasons is also destructive and counterproductive.

moderation is key

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Mpanyi: 11:08am On Aug 23, 2019
This woman that never knew she would get married. She just got married yesterday, got a kid or two, and people, including those that have been mothers from ages, will not hear word for her. You're forming oyibo when you are classless and from a third-world country undecided

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by JuanDeDios: 11:08am On Aug 23, 2019
sinaj:
Learn to read between lines and interpret what you read according to the context.
Thank you.
I know how to read and I read what you wrote well. Your skittish response doesn't change that.

Yes, the societies are different, but what some of you fail to realise is that (1) "punishment" can be administered without getting physical, and (2) as long as caning is legal it will always be abused - same way we fail to realise that as long as it's allowed for the police to use gun in dealing with unarmed people in any circumstances, these killings will always occur. Laura Ikeji is right - caning should be outlawed, especially in schools.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by sinaj(f): 11:09am On Aug 23, 2019
adedayoa2:
I remember when I was in primary 4, after teaching us division that day, Mrs Fafure called me out to solve it. I had forgotten immediately, just one stroke on my back, I shouted I remember, I remember. And I solved it, if not for the stroke how I for remember?
lwkmd cheesy

Not to talk of African back hand slap that can even change your destiny grin

This generation kids are lucky sha

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Litmus: 11:09am On Aug 23, 2019
I worry about that African mindset, which feebly accepts all things “West” as good and developed and all things African primitive, bad and in need of updating. The mindset that is trite and vacuous because it does not evaluate things at a more fundamental level than superficiality of Class. Worst, class as defined by foreign Western values whose numerous flaws technological advancements even only superficially disguise and, nevertheless, we are blind to because of historic racial classifications and theories long discredited. Just think what a wonderful world we world create for ourselves if we adopt the attitude of respecting our Nigerian cultures and values and letting those inform what we pick and adopt from the West. For example, banning smacking is not something we should adopt just because pampered middleclass white women, board at home because their husband are at work earning thousands and their children safely in boarding schools, began penning idyllic life-style books on their sun-drenched kitchen tables. The majority of the world's parent or parents are not wealthy and do not have access to remedial monies or boarding schools should their experiments with none-smacking fail.

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Ugosample(m): 11:11am On Aug 23, 2019
mastermaestro:

You just spoke my mind. In her delusion she thinks she is the first to give birth. grin grin

it's mostly ladies without common sense that talks like that

my grand mother's that popped babies aplenty should then say what?

and the two of them were champions of flogging and smacking

2 Likes

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by cnonyechi(f): 11:12am On Aug 23, 2019
Skyfornia:
Mtchwww...misplaced priority. If an old man like ekweremadu could be flogged for his wrong doings...why won't a kid be disciplined with some
strokes??

No mind am
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Ugosample(m): 11:12am On Aug 23, 2019
sinaj:
lwkmd cheesy
Not to talk of African back hand slap that can even change your destiny grin
This generation kids are lucky sha
very lucky cheesy
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by phemy36(m): 11:12am On Aug 23, 2019
wharley01:

well behaved but still has the most corrupt people in the world, your brain is leaking

And you call yourself a man. Using abusive words on a female quote is very wrong. You can contribute to the topic without abusing her now. Don't bother yourself to quote me because I will not reply you
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by grandstar(m): 11:12am On Aug 23, 2019
Kingosytex:
Yeye de smell. She think say na America be dis? cheesycheesy

If you spare the rod, you spoil the child.

2 kids have been killed within a week due to excessive flogging by.parents.

She says spank8ng is okay but not flogging
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by sinaj(f): 11:13am On Aug 23, 2019
JuanDeDios:

I know how to read and I read what you wrote well. Your skittish response doesn't change that.

Yes, the societies are different, but what some of you fail to realise is that (1) "punishment" can be administered without getting physical, and (2) as long as caning is legal it will always be abused - same way we fail to realise that as long as it's allowed for the police to use gun in dealing with unarmed people in any circumstances, these killings will always occur. Laura Ikeji is right - caning should be outlawed, especially in schools.
lollll
Following your logic,

Medicine should be outlawed too.
Guns should be outlawed and replaced with sticks grin
Alcohol should be outlawed.
Cigarette should be outlawed too.
Politicians should alsi be outlawed.

I understand your point on punishment being administered without being physical, but we should know that same way our societies, culture and all differ, is the same way children and characters differ.

I know about punishing via positive and negative reinforcement, but you should know it might not work on every child.

You might even have 3 children and use different disciplinary approach on them coz of how unique they are.

We shouldnt be quick to swallow everything from the westerners.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Caption This Photo Of Sound Sultan,ay And 2face. / Desmond Elliot Meets With Road Transport Workers In Lagos / BBNaija's Mercy Eke's Father Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.