Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal - Celebrities (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal (22007 Views)

Laura Ikeji To Undergo Cosmetic Surgery Because Of Tonto Dikeh / Laura Ikeji And Her Son, Ryan Kanu Adorable In New Photo / King Kelly Exposes Laura Ikeji After She Sacked Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by SUPERPACK: 12:11pm On Aug 23, 2019
Born2Breed:

It's easy to attack me because you have never seen what some teachers do to kids in the name of discipline.

There are various form of discipline not flogging with anger cos that's what most of these teacher does. They pour out their frustration on kids.
I'm even being lenient by that action i stated previously If this is meted on my kid.
please list the forms of discipline? we are open to learning in this forum.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by JuanDeDios: 12:16pm On Aug 23, 2019
SUPERPACK:
if you're not a teacher you have no right to take part in this argument, understanding one child is easy and less time consuming, how do you go about understanding about 60 students in a crowded class from different parental background.
how do you understand the bullies and the quiet ones, if you want to stop flogging in Nigerian schools the best approach is to reduce the pupil to teacher ratio which is getting out of hand, taking care of one child is far different from taking care of a community it's same approach
Fair point.

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by FoxyBlueSKy(m): 12:22pm On Aug 23, 2019
VAGINAL yeast infection WHAT EVERY WOMAN and Man SHOULD KNOW

A vaginal yeast infection is a very serious disease a lot of women is facing. Are you a man and you think it has nothing to do with you? First of all, ask yourself, am I married? Or do I have a girlfriend? Lets us be realistic here.

Being the first to grab this information and share it with your family and friends can help save life’s and reduce the risk of developing vaginal
yeast infection.

However, you may ask what is a vaginal yeast infection? It is a fungal infection that causes discharge, pains and extreme itchiness of the vaginal and the vulva- the tissues at the vaginal opening.

There is yeast in women body called Candida albicans that causes vaginal yeast infection and this has been an ordinarily vaginal challenge in women.

Despite that, there are both good and bad bacteria and yeast cells in women vagina but is the when the bad exceeds the good there tend to be a vaginal yeast infection.

At this juncture, if you’re asked

• What are the causes of Vaginal yeast infection?
• What are the Symptoms of a vaginal yeast infection?
• Can a yeast infection be transmitted through sex?
• What is the Treatment for vaginal yeast infection?
• How do you prevent a vaginal yeast infection from occurring?..............

What will you answer? Please let us not perish because of lack of knowledge. Let us not be a victim of our own circumstances.

Let us consider the above 5 questions here: https://healthwises.com/yeast-infection-discharge
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Angelfrost(m): 12:23pm On Aug 23, 2019
Born2Breed:

It's easy to attack me because you have never seen what some teachers do to kids in the name of discipline.

There are various form of discipline not flogging with anger cos that's what most of these teacher does. They pour out their frustration on kids.
I'm even being lenient by that action i stated previously If this is meted on my kid.

You see what I am talking about... That picture you chose to put up was done by the father of that child in the confines of their home.

Teachers are trained to apply discipline within lawful and sensible limits... Except you are talking about untrained teachers in mushroom schools...

Like I mentioned, some kids are naturally mild mannered and submissive, making it easy to raise them on words and light spanking... But, some are naturally stubborn, and sparing the rod will bring forth catastrophic results in future... I am not writing fiction, I write from experience. A lot of successful people actually confirmed they would have gone astray had their parents been unduly lenient with them.

Well, what works for you won't work for everyone else... If you feel the "American white style" of raising kids will produce model citizens, then go for it... But, don't conclude that to be the standard. When I see parents negotiating with kids as young as 3 or 4, I just shake my head... I warned my aunt about this with regards to my cousins then, she asked me to shut it... Well, today she has fraudsters and delinquents to deal with.

...And regarding my signature, there is no irony at all... Disciplining my kids within the moral, humane, and sensible boundary is not messing with them. Please, don't try to be deliberately misleading.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Petacephas: 12:25pm On Aug 23, 2019
Funny u r o . I will adopt same approach o.
Kingosytex:

My town man does that. He has a particular room in his house in America that he labelled "NIGERIA", if any of his kids misbehaves, he takes that person straight into "NIGERIA" and deal with him. This sounds funny but true.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Born2Breed(f): 12:36pm On Aug 23, 2019
Ugosample:

your last paragraph is wrong

my mother pushed out many babies

and she smacked us at intervals

better smacking

my paternal grandma gave birth to many
and she smacked well well too

so that point of "pushing baby bla bla bla" is invalid

that said

I am somewhat on the fence when it comes to smacking kids...
only parents should have the right to smack kids (that is if you must smack)

and moderation is the key when smacking

because Nigerians have abused smacking and its now transferred aggression
there has to be some regulation in place against such

But the good ole smacking your head with newspaper (my father favourite then cheesy cheesy) a knock on the head and other soft targets etc is not out of order if you ask me.

Those smacking you are referring to are normal. The other day it was one upcoming actress that posted the pix of her 4year old that was scared cos of flogging.

Discipline your child, but don't allow anyone do it on your behalf. The teacher is meant to teach my child not flogging. I repeat if them try am with my own,we go wear one skirt.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Onlyonebuhari: 12:37pm On Aug 23, 2019
If you don't flog them when they are young, when they grow old they will flog their parents. When we were in schools no student dere commit or do nonsense because 6 strokes of cane will reset their brain and that help us a lot but now they think they are civilized including this idiot calling for stoppage of flog cos he wants our to believe that their parents n teachers have no right flog them. Even with cane on the teacher's table, those children won't make noise or fight their colleagues. This is Africa where cultures contribute to our great image but since we started imitating those who have right to marry dogs, our graduates have been mere educated illiterates.
The clothe she put on tells you more about her!
Social media tout.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by benji93: 12:37pm On Aug 23, 2019
My brother, you can only punish a child cos you detest what he/she has done, that equates to some form of annoyance. That being said, IMO we can not entirely put aside caning students at the moment(it should not be banned) especially in the government schools. Since most students that attend government institutions are poor, there is a higher risk of exposure to a lot of vices hence a tendency to be delinquent. Issues like this fall into the grew area category. It is neither black nor white, neither is it right or wrong. All of it comes down to the kind of lives we live generally in this country. The correlation between corporal punishment and violent, dishonest or fraudulent tendencies is not quite clear. We cannot put forth the opinion that since corporal punishment is still frequently being used and we are involving ourselves in all sorts of violent, fraudulent or devious activities there must be a direct correlation. Other factors might be contributing-poor living conditions, unemployment e.t.c. I believe that as Nigeria changes, especially in its general living conditions our management of misbehaviours committed by our wards will evolve. I am saying this cos i was really troublesome while i was growing up- I don't know what would have happened if my father had not punished me the way he did. I sometimes look back at some specific incidents-misbehaviour/punishment- and conclude that some of the punishments were a little too much, but you see, what can be defined as too much? my father was not a psychologist to know that. .A better education generally, better living conditions might be the only way to combat excessive application of corporal punishment. As we learned from psychology about operant conditioning, since you need a combination of reinforcements, punishments and time to instill a habit into someone, the best way to cause the expresser to change the way he expresses is by conditioning him in time. I would think most private schools have outlawed caning that anyway.
JuanDeDios:

See who's not reading between the lines now. smiley Yes, guns should be outlawed in any relationship between a policeman and an unarmed citizen.

Last line is the mistake you people keep making - that any of this talk is Western. No. Human values, human rights, etc., are universal, even if some societies have so far made more progress at codifying them than others. I know someone who was depressed and people accused her of being oyinbo!

I agree that different things will work for different kids. But have you ever seen a teacher finding out what works for kids and disciplining them accordingly? No - they take the cane to every kid that misbehaves or fails to show up with some fee. Why? Because caning is always done in ANGER. Ask any mother you see caning her child, she'll tell you it's because she wants to correct the child. But check her temperament at that moment, and all you'll see is anger.

The real issue for me, though, is whether caning works. Here in Nigeria there are some who will tell you they were never caned - are they worse off? In the absence of any scientific study on the matter here, the anecdotal evidence is clear that caning does not make kids turn out better. The one thing it achieves is that it makes parenting less time-consuming - you don't have to REASON or DISCUSS or NEGOTIATE with the child - just cane him and go back to pilling egusi or watching TV. This is intuitive, it's the lazy man's approach to parenting. Good parenting is not intuitive - it takes deliberate efforts.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Angelfrost(m): 12:37pm On Aug 23, 2019
chrismex:

Thank you may God bless you. You said it all. The discipline we experienced in our days is no more. that's why things are bad to this extent. I pity those saying will should ban flogging, must we copy white in everything, our way of discipline culture is far different from the white. Look at what is happening over there country. Must we copy everything.

The white banned flogging and punishment as an abuse but approve the sell of guns, is that not stupid. You banned the primary foundation of stopping them to become wayward then, you approve guns for them for self defence, tell me what do you expect. they have destroyed there nation now they want to destroy Africa.

Yes we are corrupt wicked but the one thing which white envy us is our culture and traditional discipline the respect we have. Look at our youth today no shame they post there nudes online, without shame and fear of there family. Ooo we are doomed, sometimes I just tell myself maybe it's better I don't give birth because training a child in this generation requires alot and God intervention.those days only eyes alone you have understood the message your parents is sending. Who are you to go to school late.

I really love most Asian countries for one thing they never allowed the west to pollute there mind when it comes to there culture tradition and moral values.

That some teachers abuse it those not mean it should stop. Ask yourself will your child just be flogged for know reason. If you know the flogging has turned to abuse. You are a parent report the teacher,and let the authorities take over.

God bless you too sir.. Don't mind parents of today. What do they know? They think everything begins, and ends on social media...

Asia is a very good analogy... That was why the Japanese football team was commended all over for their sanitary conduct at the last world cup... This came from good upbringing...

Africans think coping the Western world verbatim is the way to go, I just pity most young parents of today... Look at the number of cultists, killers, rapists, internet prostitutes, and fraudsters most of them in their early twenties, and see that we have lost our way as parents and as a nation.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by needful: 12:50pm On Aug 23, 2019
ornicus:
yes, all the wonderful beatings have made us wonderful nigerians and world class leaders , not so?

i'm sure the yahoo boys, ritual u murderers, gang rapists , thieving politicians, fulani herdsmen, armed robbers, killer policemen, sars , drug dealers etc were never flogged in their childhood.

look around you and you can see the benefits of corporal punishment everywhere

laura ikeji much as i loathe her, is right.

all most of this beating does is reinforce a mindset that violence , solves all problems

and violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

that is why you see people , well dressed in a car accident immediately begin fighting. because that is what they have been taught by beatings
that is why youth corpers will go into an office to seize [steal] computers
that is why frustrated parents are beating their kids to death.

we see them on this forum too, unable to make an argument without threats of violence and i will deal with you.

you want to see what beatings do to a person - watch how tacha of bbn relates versus the way mike relates
that is what beating ultimately does, and we see it everywhere. we are all aggressive and violent

Well analysed Sir. Kudos to you.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by JuanDeDios: 12:51pm On Aug 23, 2019
benji93:
My brother, you can only punish a child cos you detest what he/she has done, that equates to some form of annoyance. That being said, IMO we can not entirely put aside caning students at the moment(it should not be banned) especially in the government schools. Since most students that attend government institutions are poor, there is a higher risk of exposure to a lot of vices hence a tendency to be delinquent. Issues like this fall into the grew area category. It is neither black nor white, neither is it right or wrong. All of it comes down to the kind of lives we live generally in this country. The correlation between corporal punishment and violent, dishonest or fraudulent tendencies is not quite clear. We cannot put forth the opinion that since corporal punishment is still frequently being used and we are involving ourselves in all sorts of violent, fraudulent or devious activities they must be a direct correlation. Other factors might be contributing-poor living conditions, unemployment e.t.c. I believe that as Nigeria changes, especially in its general living conditions our management of misbehaviours committed by our wards will evolve. I am saying this cos i was really troublesome while i was growing up- I don't know what would have happened if my father had not punished me the way it did. I sometimes look back at some specific incidents-misbehaviour/punishment- and conclude that some of the punishments were a little too much, but you see, what can be defined as too much? my father was not a psychologist to know that. .A better education generally, better living conditions might be the only way to combat excessive application of corporal punishment. As we learned from psychology about operant conditioning, since you need a combination of reinforcements, punishments and time to instill a habit into someone, the best way to cause the expresser to change the way he expresses is by conditioning him in time. I would think most private schools have outlawed caning that anyway.
Brilliant submissions. It is my view that caning is black and white wrong and is not effective. But I agree that phasing it out of public schools at this time can create problems since most of the kids there just won't get it. The fact is that children raised with the cane tend not to take you seriously until you cane them - it's a conditioning. Thus only a holistic approach - where both parents and teachers stop using the cane while adopting more deliberate methods - would work. So for now, we can only keep debating it.

I was caned as a kid. I wish my parents had TALKED more. I've no doubt talking to me would have worked better. But they did the best as they knew it. We, however, know better. Or we ought to.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by cooltola(m): 1:02pm On Aug 23, 2019
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Born2Breed(f): 1:03pm On Aug 23, 2019
Angelfrost:

You see what I am talking about... That picture you chose to put up was done by the father of that child in the confines of their home.

Teachers are trained to apply discipline within lawful and sensible limits... Except you are talking about untrained teachers in mushroom schools...

Like I mentioned, some kids are naturally mild mannered and submissive, making it easy to raise them on words and light spanking... But, some are naturally stubborn, and sparing the rod will bring forth catastrophic results in future... I am not writing fiction, I write from experience. A lot of successful people actually confirmed they would have gone astray had their parents been unduly lenient with them.

Well, what works for you won't work for everyone else... If you feel the "American white style" of raising kids will produce model citizens, then go for it... But, don't conclude that to be the standard. When I see parents negotiating with kids as young as 3 or 4, I just shake my head... I warned my aunt about this with regards to my cousins then, she asked me to shut it... Well, today she has fraudsters and delinquents to deal with.

...And regarding my signature, there is no irony at all... Disciplining my kids within the moral, humane, and sensible boundary is not messing with them. Please, don't try to be deliberately misleading.

The picture is just a depiction of why flogging is bad.

Haven't you seen several images being posted by parents of their kids being scared due to flogging?

However you deem fit to abuse your kids in the name of flogging is your cup of tea.

If you are a teacher in my kids school where I pay you huge some to educate my child and you decided to exercise your arms by flogging my kids with marks on their precious skin.

I dey wait you outside the school premises.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Nathaniel88: 1:10pm On Aug 23, 2019
Our yoruba elders say its on the chest of a child madness resides, but only the rod can scatter or disperse it
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Magnoliaa(f): 1:12pm On Aug 23, 2019
sinaj:
Most african kids are well behaved compared to their white counterpart all thanks to flogging and punishment.

In as much as some parents and teachers abuse it same way drugs are abused, it shouldnt be taken away.

Before talking about making it illegal or having government taking people's kids, let her ask herself if the family court or social welfare unit is even effective. Is the government even capable of taking care of people's children?

She can as well experiment with her child here in naija or volunteer to teach in any high school in America to understand better before calling for the government to arrest parents that flog their kids.

Most? Really?

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by benji93: 1:16pm On Aug 23, 2019
You need to be more specific with your arguments. The problem is not with caning, it's with doing it excessively. The reason students won't get it is that the system currently existent, requires it, at least as applied to students in public schools. And my solution for phasing it out is not for teachers and students to say no to it, rather, parents and teachers should be educated to understand the best approach to punishing their wards. So that is a change we will see in the future if students in public schools are properly educated today- parents and teachers of tomorrow. I am constantly referring to public schools cos most students are enrolled in public schools.
JuanDeDios:

Brilliant submissions. It is my view that caning is black and white wrong and is not effective. But I agree that phasing it out of public schools at this time can create problems since most of the kids there just won't get it. The fact is that children raised with the cane tend not to take you seriously until you cane them - it's a conditioning. Thus only a holistic approach - where both parents and teachers stop using the cane while adopting more deliberate methods - would work. So for now, we can only keep debating it.

I was caned as a kid. I wish my parents had TALKED more. I've no doubt talking to me would have worked better. But they did the best as they knew it. We, however, know better. Or we ought to.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Magnoliaa(f): 1:20pm On Aug 23, 2019
JuanDeDios:

Ok.

In terms of evil, corruption, kidnapping, fraud, armed robbery, lying, bad parenting, lateness, bad work ethics and every other index of measuring the badness of human beings, Nigeria is turning out better adults than those white countries, right?

Definitely. We've got our morals and cultures and religions here - so we are the best set of people. Those whites and advanced countries with 'enlightened' folks are the epitome of evil. The devil himself grin
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by hybridblood07(m): 1:39pm On Aug 23, 2019
There are many ways to discipline a child without raising hand on him or her.
Kingosytex:
Yeye de smell. She think say na America be dis? cheesycheesy

If you spare the rod, you spoil the child.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by needful: 1:57pm On Aug 23, 2019
Am gonna talk about this flogging using myself as a case study.

I came out from a family of 9 and am second to the last. My dad is a very disciplined man who beat at a slightest mistake. Being second to the last born, i did something wrong one day and he immediately rushed to flog me with his belt and I quickly screamed " Dad wait" and he suddenly stopped. I asked him one question that touched everyone" dad why do u deserve joy in beating ur children at a slightest mistake, what happend to correction and advice without beating. Dad did u even bother to ask me why I did that before beating me up. My elder siblings u had been beating right from small, has their life turned any better or change for good?. My dad quickly ran back to his room and was so afraid to even face me as a father for days, did I tell us that I was just 9yrs old then. That was the end of beating in my house. I grew up with my younger sis and one of my bro without dad touching us for one day and I can authoritatively tell u that our lives are different. We grew up and got married all of us, one xmas, all of us came back home. Dad was watching our parenting, he realised that I never touched my kids and they behave differently and ask lots of questions why things are done the way they are, the ones he beat hail out of their head beats at a slightest mistake just like him and their kids already got used to the beating and sees nothing wrong in it.

One evening, a brother was asking me why I do not beat my kids yet they hear whenever I say stop, i told him because I had different way of punishing them , so they cant predict what ever punishment I might give, he screamed, no wonder, my kids already got used to his beating and doesnt fear again. My dad called us one morning and guess what his advice was? , he apologised to the elderly ones over his beating and told them that it was a very bad parenting to flog ur kids and advised them to copy my method of parenting. So why we are at home, I discipline one child that belongs to my brother, ask me what I did. He did something very wrong, and I simply bought a chocolate candy and gave to everyone without giving him, he cried for more than 30minutes over that and at the end, once I said, dont, everyone will keep quiet because they cant predict what i can do. Morale of the story, flogging ur child simply make them brave to withstand any hard treatment thereby believing in violence and this is the reason why naija kids are used to flogging and it doesnt stop them from committing any evil on their mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Alaska90(m): 1:59pm On Aug 23, 2019
Flier:
It’s illegal in most states but they still beat them anyway
Most Nigerian parent would be happy if federal takes their children grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by hardon1(m): 2:03pm On Aug 23, 2019
heaven knows i will not put my child in a school that doesn't flog, especially for children 14 and below
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by masqot(m): 2:04pm On Aug 23, 2019
#yinmu. I once wrote my daughter's teacher to beat her for failing to do her homework until late on Sunday night. That was after lambasting her

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by SUPERPACK: 2:09pm On Aug 23, 2019
needful:

I came out from a family of 9 and am second to the last. My dad is a very disciplined man who beat at a slightest mistake. Being second to the last born, i did something wrong one day and he immediately rushed to flog me with his belt and I quickly screamed " Dad wait" and he suddenly stopped. I asked him one question that touched everyone" dad why do u deserve joy in beating ur children at a slightest mistake, what happend to correction and advice without beating. Dad did u even bother to ask me why I did that before beating me up. My elder siblings u had been beating right from small, has their life turned any better or change for good?. My dad quickly ran back to his room and was so afraid to even face me as a father for days, did I tell us that I was just 9yrs old then. That was the end of beating in my house. I grew up with my younger sis and one of my bro without dad touching us for one day and I can authoritatively tell u that our lives are different. We grew up and got married all of us, one xmas, all of us came back home. Dad was watching our parenting, he realised that I never touched my kids and they behave differently and ask lots of questions why things are done the way they are, the ones he beat hail out of their head beats at a slightest mistake just like him and their kids already got used to the beating and sees nothing wrong in it.

One evening, a brother was asking me why I do not beat my kids yet they hear whenever I say stop, i told him because I had different way of punishing them , so they cant predict what ever punishment I might give, he screamed, no wonder, my kids already got used to his beating and doesnt fear again. My dad called us one morning and guess what his advice was? , he apologised to the elderly ones over his beating and told them that it was a very bad parenting to flog ur kids and advised them to copy my method of parenting. So why we are at home, I discipline one child that belongs to my brother, ask me what I did. He did something very wrong, and I simply bought a chocolate candy and gave to everyone without giving him, he cried for more than 30minutes over that and at the end, once I said, dont, everyone will keep quiet because they cant predict what i can do. Morale of the story, flogging ur child simply make them brave to withstand any hard treatment thereby believing in violence and this is the reason why naija kids are used to flogging and it doesnt stop them from committing any evil on their mind.
nice write-up, but you failed to relate it to the school setting in nigeria where there are more children to be Managed by few persons, do you plan to buy candy for the whole class of minimum of 50 students?
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Born2Breed(f): 2:22pm On Aug 23, 2019
needful:

You deserve a hug. grin

This is parenting 101. Those pouring all their anger on their kids because they were flogged. Come and read ohhhh.....

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by tayolak(m): 2:28pm On Aug 23, 2019
have u been floged or not, i mean in ur life??
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by ThothHermes: 2:29pm On Aug 23, 2019
ornicus:
yes, all the wonderful beatings have made us wonderful nigerians and world class leaders , not so?

i'm sure the yahoo boys, ritual u murderers, gang rapists , thieving politicians, fulani herdsmen, armed robbers, killer policemen, sars , drug dealers etc were never flogged in their childhood.

look around you and you can see the benefits of corporal punishment everywhere
Post hoc ergo propter hoc

laura ikeji much as i loathe her, is right
No she isn't.

all most of this beating does is reinforce a mindset that violence , solves all problems
How do you figure? I was a recipient of corporal punishment and very pro-corporal punishment and I don't have this "mindset". How did you arrive at this?

and violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
undecided undecided undecided

that is why you see people , well dressed in a car accident immediately begin fighting. because that is what they have been taught by beatings
that is why youth corpers will go into an office to seize [steal] computers
People kill themselves every other day in America. You can Google the stats.
that is why frustrated parents are beating their kids to death.
More people kill their kids in the US than in Nigeria. Wanna bet?

we see them on this forum too, unable to make an argument without threats of violence and i will deal with you.
Happens on reddit and quora too. Difference is that the moderators there are more serious with their assignments.

you want to see what beatings do to a person - watch how tacha of bbn relates versus the way mike relates
that is what beating ultimately does, and we see it everywhere. we are all aggressive and violent
Quit trolling. tongue
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 23, 2019
ThothHermes:
This is saddening but unsurprising. The average Nigerian is always looking for a way to advance himself immorally. A Nigerian will defraud you at the first opportunity.
I think the answer to your question is complex. Probably deserves a thread of its own.
The problem is our values. Our value system is decrepit.
The only thing we hold dear is money. Mammon is our god. As long as you are rich you will get away with anything. Everyone wants that kind of freedom. So they become willing to do anything to get that money.
A gradual erosion of moral values is why we are at this point.
Just take a look at the things music artistes glorify in their songs. They give impressionable youths a false idea of success and they think they have to achieve that success however possible.
Worse still is that no one will question you when you finally make the money.
Nigeria is the only country I know where sudden wealth is not questioned.
Can you imagine Hushpuppi and company doing what they do in your country?

It's a complex issue really. But the summary of it is that our value system has broken down totally.

So much for the benefits of corporal punishment. If only it actually had some effect on the moral fiber of Nigerians. If only it could fix the value system

If only that had beaten hushpuppi as a pikin. tongue tongue
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by ThothHermes: 2:35pm On Aug 23, 2019
ornicus:

So much for the benefits of corporal punishment. If only it actually had some effect on the moral fiber of Nigerians. If only it could fix the value system

If only that had beaten hushpuppi as a pikin. tongue tongue
Post hoc ergo propter hoc. Kindly use Google.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by sweetilicious(f): 2:35pm On Aug 23, 2019
Am in support.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by JuanDeDios: 2:37pm On Aug 23, 2019
benji93:
You need to be more specific with your arguments. The problem is not with caning, it's with doing it excessively. The reason students won't get it is that the system currently existent, requires it, at least as applied to students in public schools. And my solution for phasing it out is not for teachers and students to say no to it, rather, parents and teachers should be educated to understand the best approach to punishing their wards. So that is a change we will see in the future if students in public schools are properly educated today- parents and teachers of tomorrow. I am constantly referring to public schools cos most students are enrolled in public schools.
I agree with the bolded.

What would you deem "excessive caning"? Once you cane a child, you've crossed a line - sent him a message that violence is useful and he's no good unless it's brought to bear. That is why those public school kids won't behave if you don't cane them - they're there already, they've been conditioned.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Fans Beg Wizkid & Tania Omotayo To Resume Dating Each Other / Shan George Asks Questions About Sleeping With A Pastor And Using Money Gotten / Ubi Franklin Spotted With Tony Elumelu, Limits Comments To Avoid Trolls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.