Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal - Celebrities (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal (22005 Views)

Laura Ikeji To Undergo Cosmetic Surgery Because Of Tonto Dikeh / Laura Ikeji And Her Son, Ryan Kanu Adorable In New Photo / King Kelly Exposes Laura Ikeji After She Sacked Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by cnonyechi(f): 11:13am On Aug 23, 2019
Ugosample:

it's mostly ladies without common sense that talks like that

my grand mother's that popped babies aplenty should then say what?

and the two of them were champions of flogging and smacking

Champions hahaha try my mother she be super star for beating and it helped me
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Ugosample(m): 11:14am On Aug 23, 2019
ornicus:
yes, all the wonderful beatings have made us wonderful nigerians and world class leaders , not so?

i'm sure the yahoo boys, ritual u murderers, gang rapists , thieving politicians, fulani herdsmen, armed robbers, killer policemen, sars , drug dealers etc were never flogged in their childhood.

look around you and you can see the benefits of corporal punishment everywhere

laura ikeji much as i loathe her, is right.

all most of this beating does is reinforce a mindset that violence , solves all problems

and violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

that is why you see people , well dressed in a car accident immediately begin fighting. because that is what they have been taught by beatings
that is why youth corpers will go into an office to seize [steal] computers
that is why frustrated parents are beating their kids to death.

we see them on this forum too, unable to make an argument without threats of violence and i will deal with you.

you want to see what beatings do to a person - watch how tacha of bbn relates versus the way mike relates
that is what beating ultimately does, and we see it everywhere. we are all aggressive and violent

you have a point

3 Likes

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Mavrick2012: 11:16am On Aug 23, 2019
Kingosytex:
Yeye de smell. She think say na America be dis? cheesycheesy

If you spare the rod, you spoil the child.
with all our applying the scriptures how does it make us better than the US?
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by derbykol(f): 11:19am On Aug 23, 2019
sinaj:
which is why I pointed out that some parents and teachers abuse it.
That doesnt mean it should be taken away, but rather watched.
Correct
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by BluntBoy(m): 11:20am On Aug 23, 2019
JuanDeDios:

I know how to read and I read what you wrote well. Your skittish response doesn't change that.

Yes, the societies are different, but what some of you fail to realise is that (1) "punishment" can be administered without getting physical, and (2) as long as caning is legal it will always be abused - same way we fail to realise that as long as it's allowed for the police to use gun in dealing with unarmed people in any circumstances, these killings will always occur. Laura Ikeji is right - caning should be outlawed, especially in schools.

Can you tell me any type of punishment that is not open to abuse?

We are humans and have tendencies to overdo or underutilize something.

My parents used the rod while I was growing up. But they also combined it with many other types of positive and negative punishment.

I think moderation is key, not the type of punishment.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Ugosample(m): 11:21am On Aug 23, 2019
cnonyechi:

Champions hahaha try my mother she be super star for beating and it helped me

some body that flogged me seriously by trick while I was still a teenager

I snuck out to play ball against her instructions
got myself this wound on my toe we call "shhitto" then
like on the tip

I snuck back home
treated myself on code
and pretended that nothing happened
not knowing that "guy man" don sabi wetin dey cheesy

that fateful night; while enjoying my dream that I was on the next flight to a splendid holiday in South Africa, what i heard; or will I say felt was *gbosa, gbosa; gbosa*
and *gbola gbola gbola* cheesy grin cheesy

I crashed out of the plane
I was shaking and confused at the same time
and the gbola kept coming

cheesy cheesy

chei nostalgic memories tongue
i miss you grand ma

children dey enjoy these days sha

2 Likes

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Ayho: 11:22am On Aug 23, 2019
I really support flogging but it should be moderate. This is Africa, students show some kind of respect to teachers that flog but disregard others that pamper them in this modern age. The world is tending towards the abyss with technology and wisdom that we think we know it all.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by derbykol(f): 11:24am On Aug 23, 2019
Moderate flogging coupled with love is recommended.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by MadamExcellency: 11:24am On Aug 23, 2019
The Government should also incriminate flogging cows by herdsmen.

By the way, why feed children with cow milk and want them to leave the traces of cowish behaviour?

Humans adopted cowish behaviour when they accepted cow milk as staple foods and drinks.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Nobody: 11:26am On Aug 23, 2019
hero2000:

Your argument is like saying all robbers and kidnappers and Yahoo Yahoo all took bread, so bread should be banned!

Your argument is like saying all robbers and kidnappers and Yahoo Yahoo all took bread, so bread should be banned!

thi is what corporal punishment does.it robs you or rational thinking. you actually made a silly argument comparing beating children to eating bread

So USA wen they no dey beat their pikin, you no see as dem no dey fight? Lol!
What about the mass shootings??

is the us the only western country in the world? how do you conflate poor gun regulation with corporal punishment ? can you imagine if we had the same gun laws the Us has? we can already see how our police and security services behave like little gods because they carry guns

[/quote]What makes children turn out badly is usually bad parenting. Not caning or caning is not the matter. And Believe me, good parenting usually involves caning when needed.

so we have a combination of bad parenting and corporal punishment - which explains exactly why Nigerians behave like violent thugs most of the time. because they have learnt that all you need to do to resolve anything, right or wrong - is beat .

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by bizhop01: 11:27am On Aug 23, 2019
What kind of mosquito called laura ikeji?
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by momodub: 11:29am On Aug 23, 2019
Kingosytex:

My town man does that. He has a particular room in his house in America that he labelled "NIGERIA", if any of his kids misbehaves, he takes that person straight into "NIGERIA" and deal with him. This sounds funny but true.
lol grin ha ha ha
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Lordbukas: 11:31am On Aug 23, 2019
Same way getting pregnant out of wedlock should be made illegal. Even the Bible acknowledged the role of Cane in training a child. You can leave the country if you dnt like our values here. Dnt drag us backwards, misplaced priority.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by freedomjoshah: 11:32am On Aug 23, 2019
WHY YOU SHOULD NOT EAT IN PEOPLE'S HOUSE AGAIN. Pls every one I would like you to see this, it will teach us a lesson check it out https://okakasite.com/2019/08/10/eat-in-peoples-house/
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by phemy36(m): 11:34am On Aug 23, 2019
sinaj:
lollll
Following your logic,

Medicine should be outlawed too.
Guns should be outlawed and replaced with sticks grin
Alcohol should be outlawed.
Cigarette should be outlawed too.
Politicians should alsi be outlawed.

I understand your point on punishment being administered without being physical, but we should know that same way our societies, culture and all differ, is the same way children and characters differ.

I know about punishing via positive and negative reinforcement, but you should know it might not work on every child.

You might even have 3 children and use different disciplinary approach on them coz of how unique they are.

We shouldnt be quick to swallow everything from the westerners.

You are all taught. Kudos

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Horus(m): 11:36am On Aug 23, 2019
According to the Nigeria Teachers Code of Conduct, no teacher has the right to beat or flog students/pupil
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by BlueAirMom: 11:37am On Aug 23, 2019
BlueAir:
Flogging doesn't have my support but nevertheless it puts some particular kind of children in place sad

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Angelfrost(m): 11:37am On Aug 23, 2019
Born2Breed:
Some people are confirmed idio.ts.

If you think sparing the rod spoils the child then flog your biological child, not the child I put in your care after paying you.

This has never happened to me and will never happen. If you flog my child then I flog you outside the school premises.

One silly woman on the run now,flogged her daughter to death all in the name of I don't want to spare the rod bull crap.

Most people supporting flogging ain't even married,carry belle and open ur leg to push baby out then u go understand mother hen and the chicks story.

Our mothers went through all that and more, even had 4 to 6 children, and never spared the rod... Children were taken to teachers and school principals for proper discipline. This pattern of making light of old school discipline is what brought forth Bobrisky, Tacha, Invictus Obi, and the millions of rising criminals across the country...

Have you not heard that even the Boko Haram insurgency and high fraudulent activity among young ones is due to poor parental guidance?.. The facts speak for themselves.

Some kids can be raised without the need for flogging or other forms of strict punitive measures, but that will never work for all... Asking teachers not to flog kids in schools, and even threatening to attack the teacher is the worst form of parenting I have ever heard in my life.. Damn. You actually sound like an enabler.

...And please stop that emotional rant about conception and child delivery. No one compelled you to be a mother...

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Bluntemperor: 11:38am On Aug 23, 2019
They carry born children for America to become America Citizens.They are the reason Trump is seriously considering eradicating such practice,now telling us story about discipline.Madam,children outside Obodo Niger wowo o.Lets make Nigeria Great.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by judedwriter(m): 11:39am On Aug 23, 2019
Kingosytex:
Yeye de smell. She think say na America be dis? cheesycheesy

If you spare the rod, you spoil the child.

Spoil is not the right word, "rot" is. But there is a big difference between discipline and abuse.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Princeofasia: 11:39am On Aug 23, 2019
just look at olosho now having a say in a whole big country like nigeria
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Afonja007: 11:40am On Aug 23, 2019
sinaj:
Most african kids are well behaved compared to their white counterpart all thanks to flogging and punishment.

In as much as some parents and teachers abuse it same way drugs are abused, it shouldnt be taken away.

Before talking about making it illegal or having government taking people's kids, let her ask herself if the family court or social welfare unit is even effective. Is the government even capable of taking care of people's children?

She can as well experiment with her child here in naija or volunteer to teach in any high school in America to understand better before calling for the government to arrest parents that flog their kids.
most African children don't behave stop your lies,
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by JuanDeDios: 11:47am On Aug 23, 2019
sinaj:
lollll
Following your logic,

Medicine should be outlawed too.
Guns should be outlawed and replaced with sticks grin
Alcohol should be outlawed.
Cigarette should be outlawed too.
Politicians should alsi be outlawed.

I understand your point on punishment being administered without being physical, but we should know that same way our societies, culture and all differ, is the same way children and characters differ.

I know about punishing via positive and negative reinforcement, but you should know it might not work on every child.

You might even have 3 children and use different disciplinary approach on them coz of how unique they are.

We shouldnt be quick to swallow everything from the westerners.
See who's not reading between the lines now. smiley Yes, guns should be outlawed in any relationship between a policeman and an unarmed citizen.

Last line is the mistake you people keep making - that any of this talk is Western. No. Human values, human rights, etc., are universal, even if some societies have so far made more progress at codifying them than others. I know someone who was depressed and people accused her of being oyinbo!

I agree that different things will work for different kids. But have you ever seen a teacher finding out what works for kids and disciplining them accordingly? No - they take the cane to every kid that misbehaves or fails to show up with some fee. Why? Because caning is always done in ANGER. Ask any mother you see caning her child, she'll tell you it's because she wants to correct the child. But check her temperament at that moment, and all you'll see is anger.

The real issue for me, though, is whether caning works. Here in Nigeria there are some who will tell you they were never caned - are they worse off? In the absence of any scientific study on the matter here, the anecdotal evidence is clear that caning does not make kids turn out better. The one thing it achieves is that it makes parenting less time-consuming - you don't have to REASON or DISCUSS or NEGOTIATE with the child - just cane him and go back to pilling egusi or watching TV. This is intuitive, it's the lazy man's approach to parenting. Good parenting is not intuitive - it takes deliberate efforts.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by darlenese(f): 11:53am On Aug 23, 2019
there is nothing wrong in spanking or disciplining a child ,but most people are just pouring frustration on innocent children
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by themanderon: 11:55am On Aug 23, 2019
"You spare the rod and spoil the child" those are wise words that have stood the test of time. Look at the type of kids we are raising today, highly disrespectful, stubborn, selfish, showing a lack of appreciation, a terrible sense of entitlement and all sorts of reprehensible behaviors are now their hallmarks because we bought into these false western way of life that is now threatening to consume us.
Go to the west you can see a child of 10yrs challenging and bad mouthing an old man. Is that the system we want down here? No wonder our values are fast eroding.
Missy you can stop beating yours but when they grow up to become despicable adults don't come to social media to wail.
NB: I am against maltreatment or injuring the child though. But rather we should discipline in love and correction. That's how I was raised.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Funkybabee(f): 11:57am On Aug 23, 2019
this post makes me to remember my secondary school days, them beat me well infronts of my mother who is a teacher tooo. she cried but I thank God today.. may God give me the grace to share the testimony when I achieved
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by EgunMogaji2: 12:00pm On Aug 23, 2019
Anyone that flogs any of my kids has simply signed his execution.

1 Like

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by chrismex(m): 12:03pm On Aug 23, 2019
Angelfrost:
Smh... This one thinks she actually matters.

It's actually the reduction in flogging and age long discipline in the last 2 decades that contributed to the high involvement in crime, whoring, rape, and other proclivities among our youths...

Every time I think of stealing or touching a lady inappropriately (not even rape) I just remember the strokes of cane received both at home and in school (more at school), and immediately my brain resets... There are many ways to discipline children, but flogging (within limits) is indispensable.

Thank you may God bless you. You said it all. The discipline we experienced in our days is no more. that's why things are bad to this extent. I pity those saying will should ban flogging, must we copy white in everything, our way of discipline culture is far different from the white. Look at what is happening over there country. Must we copy everything.

The white banned flogging and punishment as an abuse but approve the sell of guns, is that not stupid. You banned the primary foundation of stopping them to become wayward then, you approve guns for them for self defence, tell me what do you expect. they have destroyed there nation now they want to destroy Africa.

Yes we are corrupt wicked but the one thing which white envy us is our culture and traditional discipline the respect we have. Look at our youth today no shame they post there nudes online, without shame and fear of there family. Ooo we are doomed, sometimes I just tell myself maybe it's better I don't give birth because training a child in this generation requires alot and God intervention.those days only eyes alone you have understood the message your parents is sending. Who are you to go to school late.

I really love most Asian countries for one thing they never allowed the west to pollute there mind when it comes to there culture tradition and moral values.

That some teachers abuse it those not mean it should stop. Ask yourself will your child just be flogged for know reason. If you know the flogging has turned to abuse. You are a parent report the teacher,and let the authorities take over.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by SUPERPACK: 12:07pm On Aug 23, 2019
JuanDeDios:

See who's not reading between the lines now. smiley Yes, guns should be outlawed in any relationship between a policeman and an unarmed citizen.

Last line is the mistake you people keep making - that any of this talk is Western. No. Human values, human rights, etc., are universal, even if some societies have so far made more progress at codifying them than others. I know someone who was depressed and people accused her of being oyinbo!

I agree that different things will work for different kids. But have you ever seen a teacher finding out what works for kids and disciplining them accordingly? No - they take the cane to every kid that misbehaves or fails to show up with some fee. Why? Because caning is always done in ANGER. Ask any mother you see caning her child, she'll tell you it's because she wants to correct the child. But check her temperament at that moment, and all you'll see is anger.

The real issue for me, though, is whether caning works. Here in Nigeria there are some who will tell you they were never caned - are they worse off? In the absence of any scientific study on the matter here, the anecdotal evidence is clear that caning does not make kids turn out better. The one thing it achieves is that it makes parenting less time-consuming - you don't have to REASON or DISCUSS or NEGOTIATE with the child - just cane him and go back to pilling egusi or watching TV. This is intuitive, it's the lazy man's approach to parenting. Good parenting is not intuitive - it takes deliberate efforts.
if you're not a teacher you have no right to take part in this argument, understanding one child is easy and less time consuming, how do you go about understanding about 60 students in a crowded class from different parental background.
how do you understand the bullies and the quiet ones, if you want to stop flogging in Nigerian schools the best approach is to reduce the pupil/student to teacher ratio which is getting out of hand, taking care of one child is far different from taking care of a community is a different game approach.
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by Born2Breed(f): 12:08pm On Aug 23, 2019
Angelfrost:

Our mothers went through all that and more, even had 4 to 6 children, and never spared the rod... Children were taken to teachers and school principals for proper discipline. This pattern of making light of old school discipline is what brought forth Bobrisky, Tacha, Invictus Obi, and the millions of rising criminals across the country...

Have you not heard that even the Boko Haram insurgency and high fraudulent activity among young ones is due to poor parental guidance?.. The facts speak for themselves.

Some kids can be raised without the need for flogging or other forms of strict punitive measures, but that will never work for all... Asking teachers not to flog kids in schools, and even threatening to attack the teacher is the worst form of parenting I have ever heard in my life.. Damn. You actually sound like an enabler.

...And please stop that emotional rant about conception and child delivery. No one compelled you to be a mother...

It's easy to attack me because you have never seen what some teachers do to kids in the name of discipline.

There are various form of discipline not flogging with anger cos that's what most of these teacher does. They pour out their frustration on kids.
I'm even being lenient by that action i stated previously If this is meted on my kid.

BTW, isn't it ironic for someone who claims to be the KARMA to whoever messes with his FAMILY to be this judgemental?

2 Likes

Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by crazygod(m): 12:09pm On Aug 23, 2019
NotFarFrom:
I agree with her. There are other means to correct a child and he will be remorseful.
List the ways pls let's learn
Re: Laura Ikeji: Flogging Kids In Schools In Nigeria Should Be Made Illegal by SUPERPACK: 12:10pm On Aug 23, 2019
EgunMogaji2:
Anyone that teachs any of my kids has simply signed his execution.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

BBNaija's Mercy Eke's Father Is Dead / Fans Beg Wizkid & Tania Omotayo To Resume Dating Each Other / Shan George Asks Questions About Sleeping With A Pastor And Using Money Gotten

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.