Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans (48699 Views)

3 Americans Dead, As Plane Crashes Into House In Ukraine (Pix, Video) / COVID-19: No Entry For Nigerians, Americans Into Europe / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 11:56pm On Aug 31, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Security? In the USA? grin

Well, when was the last time u heard a Nigerian was killed US despite there high number? Compare that to 9ja, SA, Malaysia, UK, etc.

6 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by salford1: 11:58pm On Aug 31, 2019
ubcandid:

Please what's the idea behind tax refund?
Because people do have change in circumstances within the year. Change in circumstances like loss of job, change in earnings, change in child benefit, return to college/uni etc. This can either make you owe tax or get a refund after filing.

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 11:58pm On Aug 31, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

I’ve done charity work in SRLA, none of the citizens there would agree that it’s “decent”, this I assure you.

In Lagos they’d be wearing rags and looking like mad people and no govt assistance whatsoever

4 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by EgunMogaji2: 12:00am On Sep 01, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Well, when was the last time u heard a Nigerian was killed US despite there high number? Compare that to 9ja, SA, Malaysia, UK, etc.

There’s not a large number of Nigerians statistically in the USA.

Mexicans, yes, Nigerians, no.

This cannot be used to justify any crime data.

The reality is that violent crimes occurs in both places.

I lived in suburbs in the USA and crime is practically non existent. I’m hoping for the same here.

Where one lives and how one lives is crucial.

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by EgunMogaji2: 12:01am On Sep 01, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

In Lagos they’d be wearing rags and looking like mad people and no govt assistance whatsoever

Many are just like that on the streets of Los Angeles.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by salford1: 12:02am On Sep 01, 2019
wirinet:

Dem no fit understand. I run back to Nigeria after 6 months in London. The loneliness was killing. No body send you over there. Even papa no send pikin.

Tax can kill you in UK. They can tax you out of existence. Then the rent or is it mortgage is out of this world. Transportation nko? That one na ogbonge. The only cheep thing is UK is food.
Every developed country survives on tax. That is one of the reason why Nigeria is a sytehole, a lot of people dodge tax.
It Seems you stayed in London? Like other big cities in the world, london is expensive. Check Hongkong, NewYork, Vancouver, Toronto, LA, Tokyo etc

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Beautyaddy: 12:02am On Sep 01, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

1) Weather. Southern California is blessed with almost year round good weather. So it’s better to be homeless there than in say Duluth, Ohio.

2) Some came to LA, like folks move to Lagos, to chase a dream. When the dream collapses they get stuck. I met at least two people still clutching to a movie script they came to LA to sell.

3) California is a pretty liberal state so they have access to both public and private shelters and food banks. Some states are hostile.

Hmmm….still not an excuse I would give own their behalf. There are other States that offer such weather and at a much cheaper rate.

Now the second highlighted statement might be somewhat true...but the so-called access to public and private shelters and food banks Los-Angeles offers is obviously being abused by more people taking advantage of it.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by HBB1(m): 12:03am On Sep 01, 2019
timesup234:
200k is not money but when you plan with what you have there will surely be an evidence of your years of labor. And that is why taxi drivers, food hawkers, tipper and truck drivers and bricklayers who know what they are doing are all building houses in Nigeria and training their kids in above moderate schools.

200k?!
In above moderate schools?

Hahaha...

Seems you like to argue, I don't like to.

...to each his own!

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Beautyaddy: 12:04am On Sep 01, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Yes, because most of them are dealing with mental health issues due to drug abuse.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by timesup234: 12:04am On Sep 01, 2019
salford1:

Misery loves company. grin
In your little mind. Nigeria is so poor yet you guys ship cars daily to sell down here to make profit. Apple and Samsung continue to make sales here while Chinese brands make most of their foreign revenues here.. I bet spirits are the ones purchasing them. You bring in all kind of goods to sell to spirit. Your reasoning faculty is faulty, you might need that of a he-goat

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 12:06am On Sep 01, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Not many. Only the mentally ill who have not yet been institutionalized. In 9ja it is simply extreme poverty

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Beautyaddy: 12:08am On Sep 01, 2019
salford1:

Every developed country survives on tax. That is one of the reason why Nigeria is a sytehole, a lot of people dodge tax.
It Seems you stayed in London? Like other big cities in the world, london is expensive. Check Hongkong, NewYork, Vancouver, Toronto, LA, Tokyo etc

Thank You!!!

I rest any further argument on this Thread

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by EgunMogaji2: 12:11am On Sep 01, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

Not many. Only the mentally ill who have not yet been institutionalized. In 9ja it is simply extreme poverty

I say many based on my own direct professional experience.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Beautyaddy: 12:12am On Sep 01, 2019
salford1:

Misery loves company. grin

I know, right?

And when the misery is not getting enough people to join their company they result into offensive and abusive attacks all over Nairaland Threads. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Ugosample(m): 12:13am On Sep 01, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

I meant “on the other side”. But u r a bit extreme just like him. U refuse to acknowledge some people making it in Africa would be living paycheck to paycheck and in debt if they were in the West.

no matter how much you THINK you are making in a $hithole country
you are still not making it really

because a rich man from a country that is so so poor us a poor man...

that is why the elite class create palliative for the lower class in the west
while nigger Africans is to accumulate and oppress and accumulate

a rich man from a poor country is a poor man

And crony capitalism is what gets many rich in say NiggerArea

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by SIRTee15: 12:13am On Sep 01, 2019
CanadaOrBust:

It happens both ways. Why do u think some Westerners or Returnees initially praise Africa and don’t want to go back? Same initial fresh immigrant thing. Then they become like everyone else.

Any westerner praising naija are the likes of P&ID fraudsters who are here to collude with our corrupt politicians to steal us blind....
The humidity alone is a huge turn off.....
Most westerners who visit Lagos are always disappointed....the infrastructure is an issue....

Me I like uk....
I don't know what people complain about.....
I like that the small towns are developed and u can get virtually anything u want from within your area....
I like the multiculturalism...even though I'm beginning to have second thought about that....
And uk is cheap, at least compared to other developed countries....well let's hope brexit doesn't make a mess of things.....
I love the education system and the opportunity it offers...
And the fact that home is just 6 hours away....

I'll be glad to make it my 2nd home...if wife agrees...
She's presently discouraging me to buy a house....
She wants us to move to Canada...a place I don't really fancy....
Well that's me....other opinion may differ....

That doesn't mean I'm not concerned about some issues....
I feel the British are becoming laid back...they are not productive as b4 and amazingly not bothered....
British are very intelligent n resourceful...
They can rule the world again, if they set their mind on it....
But they simply not interested....

Rather, they focusing their energy on the wrong things, picking wrong fights, choosing wrong friends and beginning to think short term....

Immigration is also a big issue...
The cultural enrichment never really happened...
And what we have now is clash of cultures...
Only God can safe Britain...

All in all....
To each it's own...
Peace....

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by EgunMogaji2: 12:13am On Sep 01, 2019
Beautyaddy:

Thank You!!!

I rest any further argument on this Thread.

I’ll raise a toast as I join you also.

Adios amigos.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by pacespot(m): 12:13am On Sep 01, 2019
timesup234:
Yes everyone would love to live there until they get there and find out it is a mirage. The biggest shame will be leaving there without achieving anything. That's the shame over one million Nigerians are living with in America. They can't come back because they are stuck. If you ask Americans to pay cash for their cars 99% of them won't be able to afford it. Americans are broke and miserable and 95% of them will die in debt. If in 2019 Nigerians don't know an average Nigerian is richer than a middle class American then they are the dumbest donkey on earth

Last I checked American external debt, it is almost 200% of the GDP. It means if you sell the whole of Americaa dn economy, it is not enough to pay off their debts.

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 12:14am On Sep 01, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

There’s not a large number of Nigerians statistically in the USA.

Mexicans, yes, Nigerians, no.

This cannot he used to justify any crime data.

The reality is that violent crimes occurs in both places.

I lived in suburbs in the USA and crime is practically non existent. I’m hoping for the same here.

Where one lives and how one lives is crucial.

Wrong. See below

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by salford1: 12:14am On Sep 01, 2019
wirinet:

A £500 a month (which is £125 a week) house in UK is a shitty house, or was it in some remote village outside London?
Check here for the cheapest flats for rent in London - https://jamesanderson.co.uk/news/cheapest-areas-in-london-to-rent-2018/

What of Transport, gas, water, electrics bills? Was someone else paying these for you?

And this was your first salary, so how much do you earn now?
When i lived in the UK as at 2012, my rent was £550 a month (3 bedroom flat) or what we call townhouse in North America. This was also in a good area in Manchester. Sirtee could have lived in a bigger city outside London.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by SIRTee15: 12:16am On Sep 01, 2019
wirinet:

I hope you are not related to lai Muhammed!

Your first salary was £2700 after tax, so how much was your net. You must have been earning close to £3,800 net per month. I even forgot to ask, was that weekly or monthly? Wages are paid weekly in UK.
A £500 a month (which is £125 a week) house in UK is a shitty house, or was it in some remote village outside London?
Check here for the cheapest flats for rent in London - https://jamesanderson.co.uk/news/cheapest-areas-in-london-to-rent-2018/

What of Transport, gas, water, electrics bills? Was someone else paying these for you?

And this was your first salary, so how much do you earn now?
U know London is only town in uk...
Isn't it...
How did u even quote it...
I thought I deleted it...

I'll appreciate if people stop making reference to that post...
U can believe whatever u want...
Thanks...

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by oluayebenz: 12:16am On Sep 01, 2019
salford1:

Most Nigerians make full payment on cars [b]20 decades old. [/b]Very few buy new car outright.

If Nigerian are buying enough new cars, Toyota, Mazda, Honda, Chevrolet, Nissan etc would have factories in Nigeria just like in Western countries which will further help the employment crisis in Nigeria.

Seriously @d bolded.

Do you know what that mean.

Exaggerating right?

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 12:17am On Sep 01, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

I say many based on my own direct professional experience.

Put up photo as someone put up photo of skid row

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by IgweBUIKE1(m): 12:17am On Sep 01, 2019
Toks2008:

A billion likes for this.

I have seen both sides and I can tell you that if you have good money please stay back and rough am well but only come at the last resort.

Now don't get it twisted...Nigerians make it big in the western countries cos of the suffering we have been exposed to.

I was amazed when citizens were begging me JJC to borrow them money and I was like WDFVK.

Life in naija is sweet...sweet ladies sweet culture, cheap quality food and lots more except crazy government and harsh living condition...you can owe house rent for months or have a place to run to for accomodation, manouver your ways with some bills but it's not the same outside..owe week rent and you are homeless...you work your ass out for every dime and it is so boring that people don't have time to socialize.

But the fact is that despite all these, Nigerians still excel cos our country has trained us with hardship so much that when you go out there you can't afford to mess up the opportunity.

If anyone abroad sends anyone as little as N5000 please thank that person very well.
pls come back home
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Beautyaddy: 12:17am On Sep 01, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Many houses in my neighborhood in Ibadan do not have fences.

I consider MaiGuard an affordable luxury not a necessity.

There are very violent crimes in East LA, Compton, South Central, etc and on most MLK Boulevard in USA cities.

All countries have crime.

My personal issue is response to crime. I wish that I could bring my arsenal to Nigeria sad

Those are gang related and low-housing government heavily subsidized cost of living areas.

Most of those people are not working and are into illegal drugs and guns for survival.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Winner4Life: 12:20am On Sep 01, 2019
Nigerians were better off in the 1970s/80s; not now!
More than 70 million Nigerians can't boast of three square meals a day. And many eat junks as food.

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 12:21am On Sep 01, 2019
Ugosample:

no matter how much you THINK you are making in a $hithole country
you are still not making it really

because a rich man from a country that is so so poor us a poor man...

that is why the elite class create palliative for the lower class in the west
while nigger Africans is to accumulate and oppress and accumulate

a rich man from a poor country is a poor man

And crony capitalism is what gets many rich in say NiggerArea

But many make it that’d be in debt in the West. Also they can afford all sorts of servants and be able to bribe their way unlike the West. Though unethical, those things contribute to happinesses

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by HBB1(m): 12:23am On Sep 01, 2019
SIRTee15:

U know London is only town in uk...
Isn't it...
How did u even quote it...
I thought I deleted it...

I'll appreciate if people stop making reference to that post...
U can believe whatever u want...
Thanks...

Don't mind him...

A sister lives in a 700 pound house, some where in England. Very nice place.

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by salford1: 12:26am On Sep 01, 2019
timesup234:
In your little mind. Nigeria is so poor yet you guys ship cars daily to sell down here to make profit. Apple and Samsung continue to make sales here while Chinese brands make most of their foreign revenues here.. I bet spirits are the ones purchasing them. You bring in all kind of goods to sell to spirit. Your reasoning faculty is faulty, you might need that of a he-goat
Dude. I don't sell cars and I don't think I ever will. Maybe to send to family members back home for free!

Apple and samsung? You mean the london used apple and samsung phone people show off in Nigeria grin. Abegi.

I am glad the engineering company I work for values my reasoning faculty of an he-goat. grin.
Atleast it helps keep the electricity on 24hours a day and I am handsomely rewarded for a job well done, unlike the geniuses brains you have in Nigeria that cant even help keep the power on for 2hrs in a day angry cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by oluayebenz: 12:27am On Sep 01, 2019
But some people like arguments sha.......
I think people should live and stay wherever pleases them.

What I noticed in the west is, even if you are lazy you will be forced to get a life, if not then u will become completely useless unlike Nigeria where we do anyhow.

Laziness is in the blood of Africans/ Nigerians....... We are only active when it comes to toto grin

5 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by CanadaOrBust: 12:29am On Sep 01, 2019
SIRTee15:

Any westerner praising naija are the likes of P&ID fraudsters who are here to collude with our corrupt politicians to steal us blind....
The humidity alone is a huge turn off.....
Most westerners who visit Lagos are always disappointed....the infrastructure is an issue....

Me I like uk....
I don't know what people complain about.....
I like that the small towns are developed and u can get virtually anything u want from within your area....
I like the multiculturalism...even though I'm beginning to have second thought about that....
And uk is cheap, at least compared to other developed countries....well let's hope brexit doesn't make a mess of things.....
I love the education system and the opportunity it offers...
And the fact that home is just 6 hours away....

I'll be glad to make it my 2nd home...if wife agrees...
She's presently discouraging me to buy a house....
She wants us to move to Canada...a place I don't really fancy....
Well that's me....other opinion may differ....

That doesn't mean I'm not concerned about some issues....
I feel the British are becoming laid back...they are not productive as b4 and amazingly not bothered....
British are very intelligent n resourceful...
They can rule the world again, if they set their mind on it....
But they simply not interested....

Rather, they focusing their energy on the wrong things, picking wrong fights, choosing wrong friends and beginning to think short term....

Immigration is also a big issue...
The cultural enrichment never really happened...
And what we have now is clash of cultures...
Only God can safe Britain...

All in all....
To each it's own...
Peace....

It all depends on one’s circumstances I guess. Thanks for your posts. Good night

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by salford1: 12:37am On Sep 01, 2019
oluayebenz:

Seriously @d bolded.

Do you know what that mean.

Exaggerating right?
The most popular toks car in naija has to be the camry tiny light? This car is like 2decades old now. Then the so called new ones sold by innoson and those corolla bought by banks wont even pass a quality control or safety test in a developed country.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (24) (Reply)

Anambra Businessman, Bona Okafor And Policeman Who Asked For His Particulars / Man Came Down From His Car And Started Dancing, After He Got Tired Of Traffic / The Bariga Waterfront Jetty And Ferries That Ambode Commissioned (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.