Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? (9445 Views)

Girls Love Me: But I'm Too Shy To Get a Girlfriend / Why Do People Close Their Eyes When Kissing? / [Kissing] Your Partner Doesn't Know How To Kiss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by moondust(m): 5:18pm On May 16, 2007
I just want to know why most Nigerians don't show any intimate affection in public, whereas in some societies, its the norm, Fire away folks!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ne4real(f): 5:34pm On May 16, 2007
well, i dont think u should generalize it, as in 'nigerians'. it depends on if they truely love each other and are proud of themselves and the relationship. me, as far as i love my boyfriend and i'm proud of him, i kiss,hold,hug,and peg my boyfriend in public and he does that 2 me too. it makes us proud the way we feel for each other. i think i can date a guy i wont be free with.

another reason might be that most of our nigerian men have alot of ego in them. they wouldn't want to be termed weak because they are seen to express their feelings in public.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ne4real(f): 5:39pm On May 16, 2007
well, i dont think u should generalize it, as in 'nigerians'. it depends on if they truely love each other and are proud of themselves and the relationship. me, as far as i love my boyfriend and i'm proud of him, i kiss,hold,hug,and peg my boyfriend in public and he does that 2 me too. it makes us proud the way we feel for each other. i don't think i can date a guy i wont be free with.

another reason might be that most of our nigerian men have alot of ego in them. they wouldn't want to be termed weak because they are seen to express their feelings in public.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by Eurphoria(f): 5:42pm On May 16, 2007
its to do with the culture thing. Plus you know how we like to act all saint like in public.
i think it is not so bad now anyway, like before if you are seen holding a boy's hand etc  you are bound to be ''reported'' to your parents by one aunt or uncle or just one nosey person grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by temmyabby(f): 5:48pm On May 16, 2007
It depends oh, go and try it in the village and c wat ur grandma would do. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by romeo(m): 6:01pm On May 16, 2007
*coughs* and rushes out of thread
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by Slycks(m): 6:05pm On May 16, 2007
I wonder why that isnt happening as well but here they will called them(ppl in such act) something else or use some kind of accused words on them like o-ni-she-ku-she ,o-ni-ra-nu ,o-shi-len-she that sort of words

Its not really part of our culture anyway,i find it hard to also kissing my girl friend in public but i can[b] kiss [/b] every part of her body when we are indoor hehehehe ,

@ poster

I showed intimate affection in public to my girl like hugging,cuddling with each other,holding hands,i also kiss her but we cant be kissing in public, Am not shy but am trying not to make people notice so they wouldnt use those accused words above on us
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by IBDat(m): 6:13pm On May 16, 2007
Can't argue on this point grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 16, 2007
@ne4real   It's not really about one feeling free with one's spouse and boyfriend,it's about our culture.
A woman seen kissing a man in public is seen as a loose woman or ashawo.
We ouight to be respectful of our environment.
Be careful if you do this on the streets of Naija,you may get some folks literally beat you to the ground with a Bible and Koran all at once.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ToToChoper: 7:45pm On May 16, 2007
i'm definitely not shy about public and private kissing.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by cgift(m): 8:20pm On May 16, 2007
O'd rather take this as a challeng. I think i will strat demonstrating it in public now with my wife. Will not be easy when starting but will definately ovrcom the enemies with time. thanks for this but let the married be given more prominence here please,
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by hotchic1(f): 8:23pm On May 16, 2007
not all Nigerians but some

I dont bloody care,i can hug n kiss ma guy @ anywhere,anytime n any day
I just turn deaf hears to wot pple say,but rmemba its got to be a serious relatinship.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by niceuzor: 8:24pm On May 16, 2007
"Shy you say" dem too dey shame common small kissing grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by Nobody: 8:32pm On May 16, 2007
biko make una limit am to small pecks,no french kissing on the street of naija o
make people no vomit their amala and ewedu grin grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by smile007: 8:33pm On May 16, 2007
That's true grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by niceuzor: 8:40pm On May 16, 2007
@babyosisi wink

hahahaaaaaaaaaaa You such a funny lady, cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by Tornadoz(m): 8:43pm On May 16, 2007
There are behaviours best left in the bedroom. Richard Gere is wanted in India for merely kissing the cheek of Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty. Its not part of our culture, to stick your tongue down the throat of your partner in public. Yuk!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:45pm On May 16, 2007
Im not. tongue

but for some people it could be they dont wanna get caught by the village gbegborun.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by niceuzor: 8:48pm On May 16, 2007
Are you sure? wink
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by superman(m): 9:36pm On May 16, 2007
borrow borrow no go help us ooooo

we no want a batty man in our street ooo!

still me
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by Nobody: 9:46pm On May 16, 2007
Tornadoz:

There are behaviours best left in the bedroom. Richard Gere is wanted in India for merely kissing the cheek of Bollywood actress Shilpa Shetty. Its not part of our culture, to stick your tongue down the throat of your partner in public. Yuk!

this is 2007!!, get with the program
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by kewe(f): 10:13pm On May 16, 2007
LOL
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by frankiriri(m): 10:18pm On May 16, 2007
I can kiss in public oh. There is nothing to it. It depends on who I am kissing sha.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by luvu567(f): 10:39pm On May 16, 2007
I think it depends on the person, Nigerian or not.

I for one I'm not the PDA showing type, I'm more of the private type.
I also dont like seeing people fullout making out in front of the whole world, the pecking of the cheeks and holding hands is ok,
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by Chiori(m): 11:09pm On May 16, 2007
I wonder what informs TTChopper. In my point of view, he is wrong. Back here in Uyo where I live, it is no big deal.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by Tornadoz(m): 11:52pm On May 16, 2007
@adusol
I don't want to be out with my grandmother and seeing you eating the face of your girlfriend.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by LiquidMind(m): 12:36am On May 17, 2007
Its time to get out of this crazy mentality shocked

After you have finished kissing your girl/boy friend in the public and demonstrating how much you love each other openly

What amount of love would be left for both of you indoor ??
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by pearl2(m): 1:00am On May 17, 2007
Everything you see in another culture must be replicated in Nigeria abi?
You'll start kissing on the street and soon graduate to sleeping around in the park like dogs.
Everything Oyibo do, u must copy and sadly the best part of their culture is difficult for us to emulate.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by pmdaboh(f): 1:25am On May 17, 2007
I must admit, sometimes when I read your comments about things, which Americans consider "small" or "insignificant" it is a little funny.  Kissing in public.  Lord, I wish that is all we had to worry about in America (a kiss in public).  It is just too much going on in public here . . I love showing affection and being shown affection (which includes a peck / not a long, lingering kiss), but I want to be kissed in public and in private.  Matter fact, I would be offended if my husband only wanted to kiss me behind closed doors, for I would think he was ashamed to display his love openly.  But I must admit, I think there are limits in public.  Sometimes people kiss too long, to sensual for younger eyes to watch.  In America, it is not uncommon to see two men or two women kissing or holding hands in public.  Now if someone is a homosexual or lesbian that is between them and God.  I personally believe the word of God is againt it.  But for those couples to kiss, touch, or embrace in public can be very confusing to children or young people who are trying to discover who they are.

My fellow Nigerians (for I claim to be one due to my marriage to my Nigerian Husband / I know that will probably be debated),  but I really wish people would use MORE discretion, for when you come to America and see the openness that is done under the title of "Freedom"; you will say "Enough is enough already . .use some tact!". 

Sometimes it is as if Nigerians are very sheltered and live in a time "long ago", but I think that is not a bad thing.  Some aspects of that is really nice!
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by wadomi: 1:33am On May 17, 2007
talk for yourself - my man kisses me anywhere - on the bus, in church, in the toilet, in the mall, in the bathroom, in class, in the bank - anywhere.
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by software(m): 2:34am On May 17, 2007
wa_do_mi:

talk for yourself - my man kisses me anywhere - on the bus, in church, in the toilet, in the mall, in the bathroom, in class, in the bank - anywhere.

Haba my sister, You mean u Kiss in the Church? THE HOUSE OF GOD?

Why dont you go and kiss inside the the RED SEA?
Re: Why Are Nigerians Shy About Public Kissing? by wadomi: 2:36am On May 17, 2007
@Software - bush man - what is wrong in kissing in the church -

bush man devil.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How Many Inches Is A Big Penis? / These Asian Chicks Are Not Here To Play...their Butts Are Getting Bigger / Sexy Pics Of Me After A Long Break From Nairaland (pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.