Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,230 members, 7,811,641 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo (4176 Views)

Jonathan's Administration Ranked Least Corrupt Government Since 1999, Obasanjo's / Tinubu And Amaechi Clash Over Senate President Position / Wahala:Tinubu And Amaechi In A Serious Clash Over Senate President Position (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 3:27pm On Oct 29, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Is there any law in Nigeria that said a former vice-president should not contest for a senatorial position even when he was promised senate president ?

MR Law

Why not tell us what law that says Ekwueme must accept OBJ's offer even if the offer is against his principle?

My freind open up your mind, life is too big to have such small mind okay
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 3:32pm On Oct 29, 2010
mikeansy:

MR Law

Why not tell us what law that says Ekwueme must accept OBJ's offer even if the offer is against his principle?

My freind open up your mind, life is too big to have such small mind okay
I'm not quoting law.what I'm saying is that Ekwueme did not need to segregate himself just because he couldnt get the presidential slot.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 3:36pm On Oct 29, 2010
Not sure what you mean by segregation but he remained PDP BOT Chairman untill OBJ unilaterally removed him with his do or die politics

What I think you should be saying is tell OBJ to appologise properly for some of his politics if that is what he wants to do. Anything else on this issue will be a lame attempt to rewrite history for we are in the digital age.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 29, 2010
mikeansy:

Not sure what you mean by segregation but he remained PDP BOT Chairman untill OBJ unilaterally removed him with his do or die politics
and where is he today sir ?
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 29, 2010
~Bluetooth:

He is an old man in the twilight of his career getting ready to retire like old people do.

He was head of PDP reconcilation committee when Yar'adua needed his services, he is also there to advice PDP or any Government who requires his counsel.

That is what old men do.

The man is 78years old
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Mkpotu(m): 4:02pm On Oct 29, 2010
@Bluetooth, I really wonder if sometimes your brain do touch or you are one retarded and frustrated old man such that you open your mouth like someone that has disease of the mouth.

Someone was a former vice President (N0.2 citizen) which he occupied diligently and he was later called upon to take No. 3 citizen after 20years and he declined and you are calling him a frustrated person? At Jos PDP National Convention, was Ekwueme's ambition to become Senate Predident? Simple NO. I know it is still people like you that will raise campaign that this man is not honourable if he had settled for a lower position, to wit: Senate President.

I can see you are retarded? Anyway this shows how myopic minded you are, may be that was why in your state, somebody after serving as Deputy Governor for 8years, later descended to be become a Commissioner in another government.

People are meant to be progressive.

Go and tell Atiku to come and become Senate President or Obasanjo to become Vice President to Goodluck or Babangida or whoever that wins next year.

Myopic Idiot!!!
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by semoo: 4:05pm On Oct 29, 2010
dis section ought 2 be most futuristic and factual on dis forum but LA, they abandon real issues N dabble on frivolities while some old fools trade wt our childrens' future aftreall we are not ready to convince IBB DAT WE ARE READY 4 THE MANTLE, WE ARE ELITES FOR NOTHING because WE TAKE ANYTHG THESE GOONS SHOVE ON US. GEJ, bird of a feather, ATIKU,BUHARI,GUSAU,SARAKI, that region is worse even whn they held d power,RIBADU, MOMODU,UTOMI promising and untested if u dont agree BRING ON A PERSON WE CAN SUPPORT
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by hallo(f): 4:09pm On Oct 29, 2010
undecided undecided kiss kiss lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 4:32pm On Oct 29, 2010
Mkpotu:

@Bluetooth, I really wonder if sometimes your brain do touch or you are one retarded and frustrated old man such that you open your mouth like someone that has disease of the mouth.

Someone was a former vice President (N0.2 citizen) which he occupied diligently and he was later called upon to take No. 3 citizen after 20years and he declined and you are calling him a frustrated person? At Jos PDP National Convention, was Ekwueme's ambition to become Senate Predident? Simple NO. I know it is still people like you that will raise campaign that this man is not honourable if he had settled for a lower position, to wit: Senate President.

I can see you are retarded? Anyway this shows how myopic minded you are, may be that was why in your state, somebody after serving as Deputy Governor for 8years, later descended to be become a Commissioner in another government.

People are meant to be progressive.

Go and tell Atiku to come and become Senate President or Obasanjo to become Vice President to Goodluck or Babangida or whoever that wins next year.

Myopic !!!
Its only a person who has attained the status of ''GCFR'' that cannot go back to be anything lesser than a president.Nothing stops a vice-president from going to senate.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Katsumoto: 4:48pm On Oct 29, 2010
Bluetooth

Let this matter rest; you are not arguing your point well.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 4:50pm On Oct 29, 2010
l̴͖̲̖̱͎͋́̀̏̀͂͜ơ̴̢̘͖͖̟͔̲͉̣̖̒͐̑̑̈́̀̓̆̑͒̏̈́̽̇͌͆̚͘r̴̢̛͕̞̠̼̥͇͙̥̥̗̼͎̰̻̗̩̹̬̰̜̰̪̜̯͈̓̇͆͜ę̴̧̦̩̞̫̬̫͓̫̟̣͖̝̤̩̱̻͌̆̈̅̊̇̈́̄͒͆͂̒̋͗̀́͐̚͜͜m̵̳̬͎̦̼̖͙̻̞̲̳͎͖̤̜͙̞̘̪̥͈̮̲̫̈́̂̑̓̅͌̉̃̄́̎̈́͛̔̃̈͒͛̆̉̉̍̍͌̅̒̿͘͝ͅͅ ̸̨̛̛̮̱͖͇̗͉͙̭͉͕͖̯̼͂̀̆̔̀̽̿̆͐͑͑̀̈́̈͂͒̽̅̒́̒̚͘̚̚̕͝ͅͅͅį̷̨͚̜͖̪̯̦̼̹̤͇̱͕̹̯̓̂̎͊̎͐͊͂̽̈́͊̅̈̏̋͗̀̾̎̂̀̚͝ͅp̵̡͖̱̮̹̫͖̱̺͖͚̙͇̘͈̥̭͎̅̃͗͒̒̐̀̽͑̕̕̕͜͜ş̵̧̛͚͎̘̹̻̩͉̩͕͕͍̲̼̳̲̬͖̟͊̒̽̊͛͂͒̍̇̾̅̀̑̽̆͌̈́͒̀̒́̒̏̚͝͠u̸̧̫̯͉̥̬̗͚̹͙̇̑̾͌̃͌̈́̉̀͛̍̂̄̃̑͝m̵̨̧̛̲̰̰̫̰̖̗̟͉̝͚̯̞̮̪̝͚̯͔̖̻͉͈̫̫̩̞͗̀̈́̅͆̽̆̎͐͂͆̐̾͊̆͝ ̵̛̛̯̮͍͎̜̖̥̫̱͕̥̻̖̮͈̖͎̯͊̒̉̔̔̓̀̍̆̈̊̈́̀͑̓̎̓̄̚͘͜͠͝n̵̟̜̗̩̬̯̫͇̝̙̖̟͋́̒̾̃͒͊̂̇̔͌̎͌̂͠ͅả̸̡͇̟͕̓̾͗̋̄͆̆̒͆̃͐͝i̵̢̧̧̮̞̺̻̝̬̤̲͉̟̟̺̙̣̣̭̘̱̰͇̦̍̌̀̒̎̒͋̊͐̇̿̌͛̓̓͑̆́̉͊͗̿́͘͜͝r̵̻̱̼̣̊̏͂͌̎͊̿̈͂̒͂́̐̔͂̅̅̀͘͝a̵̢͓͉̪̯̯͕̲͔̘͎͓͖̅̄͌̓̈́̒̾̇̀̈́̊̐̋͊̏̎͒̆̊̈̿̑̀͋̒̕̕͠ͅͅl̵̺̩̙̣͉̙͍̱͉͚͖̬̻̮͒̓̄́̀̋̈́͋̈̚͠ḁ̷̛̼̤͔̩̱̜̱̯̦̭̗͓̘͈͔̹̟̥̹̈́̇̔̄̂̀̔͂̏́̆͂̀̀̈́̑͐̇̓͒͊̕̕͝͝n̴̢̛̥͇͇̤̓̎̅̐͑̔͒̐͆͒̾͗̒̓̒́̓̾͗̒͜͝͝ḑ̴̧̨̝̞̦̯̯̠̺̭̭̗̭̱̯͉̹͔̪̦̉͂̋̽̿͑̃̽̐͐͋̌̏͌͑͗̀̎͜͠͠͝͠
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by semoo: 4:55pm On Oct 29, 2010
pls lets use dis mighty tool to wrestle power from these CABAL, someone just used to change world history so it is just a CLICK NOT MONEY, NOT TRIBE, NOT RELIGION, NOT CLASS BUT TO CHANGE LAILAI SYNDROME in our xter even okonjo iweala is there, make THE LEVERAGE
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 4:58pm On Oct 29, 2010
LMAO

Bluetooth is running from pillar to post.
Dude can't seem to make a valid point. . . . .dodoyo!
LOL
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 29, 2010
Katsumoto:

Bluetooth

Let this matter rest; you are not arguing your point well.
Actually there's nothing to argue about the matter.baba don finish matter.
Oju e scarce lenu ijo meta .
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Mkpotu(m): 5:24pm On Oct 29, 2010
Let truth be told, it is rare to see somebody after that exalted position going back to accept a lower one. Yes, there can be money in being Senate President instead of being an elder statesman but mind you everything is not all about money. I think he earned his respect by not accepting it and the Ekwueme I know never worked against Obasanjo, he steadfast and was in PDP despite all odds.

But my annoyance with Bluetooth, is why he should now turn round to call such a respected person a frustrated person!!! A lot of people decamped from PDP because of Obasanjo's high handedness but Ekwueme was steadfast and yet you have the effrontery to curse him. What is the curse and insult for? That he should have got angry and after he couldn't get PDP presidential ticket and decamp to AC, the way Atiku and others did.

Abeg, Bluetooth, if u no get point sometimes, just keep calm. You must not comment in all topics.!!!!

Have a gr8 weekend.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 29, 2010
Mkpotu:

Let truth be told, it is rare to see somebody after that exalted position going back to accept a lower one. Yes, there can be money in being Senate President instead of being an elder statesman but mind you everything is not all about money. I think he earned his respect by not accepting it and the Ekwueme I know never worked against Obasanjo, he steadfast and was in PDP despite all odds.

But my annoyance with Bluetooth, is why he should now turn round to call such a respected person a frustrated person!!! A lot of people decamped from PDP because of Obasanjo's high handedness but Ekwueme was steadfast and yet you have the effrontery to curse him. What is the curse and insult for? That he should have got angry and after he couldn't get PDP presidential ticket and decamp to AC, the way Atiku and others did.

Abeg, Bluetooth, if u no get point sometimes, just keep calm. You must not comment in all topics.!!!!

Have a gr8 weekend.
Ok i don hear. no vex !
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Katsumoto: 6:17pm On Oct 29, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Actually there's nothing to argue about the matter.baba don finish matter.
Oju e scarce lenu ijo meta .

Without fully understanding under what context OBJ made such a remark, I wont criticise him to much. However, Ekueme is well within his rights to refuse the position of senate president regardless of whether he was a former VP or not. He can be permitted to reject the post on his own principle. That being said, nothing would have removed from his character had he chosen to serve as senate president. Edward Heath was PM of Britain from 1970 - 1974 and after losing the 74 election, continued in the house of parliament until 2001. Senators Kerry and McCain both continued as senators in the Senate despite losing the American presidency election.

Se gbo en dun?
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Katsumoto: 6:18pm On Oct 29, 2010
guddsid:

listen to one of your "generals" lol grin

Wetin you smoke? Mind yourself old boy; which one be 'generals' now? grin grin
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 6:33pm On Oct 29, 2010
Katsumoto:

Without fully understanding under what context OBJ made such a remark, I wont criticise him to much. However, Ekueme is well within his rights to refuse the position of senate president regardless of whether he was a former VP or not. He can be permitted to reject the post on his own principle. That being said, nothing would have removed from his character had he chosen to serve as senate president. Edward Heath was PM of Britain from 1970 - 1974 and after losing the 74 election, continued in the house of parliament until 2001. Senators Kerry and McCain both continued as senators in the Senate despite losing the American presidency election.

Se gbo en dun?
I think this is what Obj was trying to point out .so the case of kerry and Mccain wouldnt have happened in Nigeria anyways.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 6:34pm On Oct 29, 2010
Katsumoto:

Se gbo en dun?

With all due respect your examples do not follow. In parliamentry democracy you are first a member of Parliament everything else is secondary. As Prime Minister you are first an MP to a constituency. If your party looses an election or you loose leadership of your party you still remain an MP but on the back bench.  Besides being head of Government in UK is different from being Head of State.

Your British example in the Nigerian Context can only be likened to a Senate President running for Senate to return to house after loosing the position of Senate President which is very common.

So you can not compare that to Ekwueme being VP and then going to run for Senate in his constituency.

On Senator Kerry and McCain being Senators and continuing as Senators that again is not a perfect example and there is nothing wrong in a Senator who aspired to become a President but failed continuing in his Present position.

I want to see an example of a President or Vice President in a Presidential system of Government who after failing in elections chose to go and contest in elections lower than the office he presently occupies or occupied in the past?

Now it is not a crime if Ekwueme chose to do this but his heart was simply not in doing that because there is rarely any former President or VP in any Presidential system of Government that has done this. At least none that I am aware of.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Katsumoto: 6:42pm On Oct 29, 2010
mikeansy:

With all due respect your examples do not follow. In parliamentry democracy you are first a member of Parliament everything else is secondary. As Prime Minister you are first an MP to a constituency. If your party looses an election or you loose leadership of your party you still remain an MP but on the back bench.  Besides being head of Government in UK is different from being Head of State.

Your British example in the Nigerian Context can only be likened to a Senate President running for Senate to return to house after loosing the position of Senate President which is very common.

So you can not compare that to Ekwueme being VP and then going to run for Senate in his constituency.

On Senator Kerry and McCain being Senators and continuing as Senators that again is not a perfect example and there is nothing wrong in a Senator who aspired to become a President but failed continuing in his Present position.

I want to see an example of a President or Vice President in a Presidential system of Government who after failing in elections chose to go and contest in elections lower than the one he has occupied in the past?

Now it is not a crime if Ekwueme chose to do this but his heart was simply not in doing that because there is rarely any former President or VP in any Presidential system of Government that has done this. At least none that I am aware of.

I agree that the examples that I supplied previously were not appropriate. However, Vladimir Putin did accept the position of Prime Minister in Russia which is a much lower position that president. Putin might not have failed but he was President which makes his step down more difficult.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 29, 2010
Katsumoto:

I agree that the examples that I supplied previously were not appropriate. However, Vladimir Putin did accept the position of Prime Minister in Russia which is a much lower position that president. Putin might not have failed but he was President which makes his step down more difficult.

On Paper Putin may be lower but Putin is still possibly much more powerful than Medvedev.

Putin made himself Prime Minister after he failed to change the Russian Constitution to get a third term in office. He secured this appointment for himself before installing Medvedev. It is like OBJ positioning himself to continue in office after failing on his third term agenda.

Not everyone will be ready for that kind of usurpation of the constitution.

Besides, Ekwueme was not even a Senator nor was he running for Senate. How would OBJ have pulled off installing Ekwueme as Senate President?

Honestly I will like to see what context OBJ was speaking on because he is a man I respect. But I will be suprised if the interpretation Bluetooth wants to give all of this is same as what OBJ is getting at.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 29, 2010
Katsumoto:

LOL.
I can see your attempt at finding a break through,  . .LOL
Nice try though.

The politics played in Russia cannot be toyed with.
Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev are buds and birds of the same feather although the later is said to be the less ruthless one.
I don't know how conversant you are with Russian Politics but you do realise that Putin aided Dmitry Medvedev to the position of President of Russia to cover his back side??
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Dede1(m): 7:03pm On Oct 29, 2010
Katsumoto

What compelled you dish out these uncorrelated examples of facts in this discuss? Nice try pal, but futility will be your consolation if you try to defend baseless conjectures from ~Bluetooth.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 29, 2010
mikeansy:

On Paper Putin may be lower but Putin is still possibly much more powerful than Medvedev.

Putin made himself Prime Minister after he failed to change the Russian Constitution to get a third term in office. He secured this appointment for himself before installing Medvedev. It is like OBJ positioning himself to continue in office after failing on his third term agenda.

Besides, Ekwueme was not even a Senator nor was he running for Senate. How would OBJ have pulled off installing Ekwueme as Senate President?

Honestly I will like to see what context OBJ was speaking on because he is a man I respect. But I will be suprised if the interpretation Bluetooth wants to give all of this is same as what OBJ is getting at.

Who knows what may have transpired for Baba to have come out with such revelation but I think the imposition of Obj didnt go down well with Ekwueme.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Katsumoto: 7:07pm On Oct 29, 2010
mikeansy:

OMO IBO:

LOL.
I can see your attempt at finding a break through,  . .LOL
Nice try though.

The politics played in Russia cannot be toyed with.
Vladimir Putin and Dmitry Medvedev are buds and birds of the same feather although the later is said to be the less ruthless one.
I don't know how conversant you are with Russian Politics but you do realise that Putin aided Dmitry Medvedev to the position of President of Russia to cover his back side??

Dede1:

Katsumoto

What compelled you dish out these uncorrelated examples of facts in this discuss?  Nice try pal, but futility will be your consolation if you try to defend baseless conjectures from ~Bluetooth.

Guys,

we don't live in a perfect world; politics in any area will always follow the dictates and circumstances in that particular. There are no two areas in the world where the politics engaged in are similar. There will always be differences. Mikeansy wanted an example of someone who attained or tried to attain the position of president and had to settle for less. Omo Ibo, I am conversant with russian politics. Putin selected Medvedev to hold the position for him temporarily. Putin will be back in 2012 for another two terms; at least that is what is being speculated by the Western and Russian media.

In case you missed it, I wasn't suggesting that Ekueme should have accepted the position, I was merely stating that nothing would have removed from Ekueme's standing, had he chosen to serve but he was also well within his rights to decline.

Dede1,

I have already accepted that the examples I provided from the US and Britain were not appropriate but I believe that the Russian example is similar in the context posed by Mikeansy. Read my points again and you will observe that my argument is different from Bluetooth's argument.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 7:16pm On Oct 29, 2010
The fact of the matter is Katsumoto's argument remains more grown up than anything I have seen from Bluetooth on this issue.

But guys Ekwueme was never President but he has every right to hold his head up high even if he dies tomorrow.

I wish Bluetooth will realise this. There are great men in Yoruba land. But there are great men in Igbo land too. So no need for childish prejudices.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 7:22pm On Oct 29, 2010
Katsumoto, i certainly wasn't questioning your stance as it concerns Ekwueme. However, i thought I'd bring to your attention that the piece you submitted in response to mikeansy's comment does really tally.

I must however, commend you though on your approach to the issue.

At Dede1, chill out mein.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Katsumoto: 7:24pm On Oct 29, 2010
OMO IBO:

Katsumoto, i certainly wasn't questioning your stance as it concerns Ekwueme. However, i thought I'd bring to your attention that the piece you submitted in response to mikeansy's comment does really tally.

I must however, commend you though on your approach to the issue.

At Dede1, chill out mein.

Thanks
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Nobody: 7:26pm On Oct 29, 2010
Dede1, that obtuse and feckless Bluebooth should be the one bearing the brunt of your vituperation.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Donmeca(m): 7:27pm On Oct 29, 2010
~Bluetooth:

I'm not quoting law.what I'm saying is that Ekwueme did not need to segregate himself just because he couldnt get the presidential slot.

So everybody shd join ur chop chop political ideology just to remain relevant? u're definitely not reasoning well. . .how old was Ekwueme in 1999 and how old is he now? the man decided as a matter of principle & not law, that he must not seek power with his blood and the blood of others. . .is that a problem?

~Bluetooth:

?

he shd have gone to the senate to remain relevant today, abi? No wonder ur people take politics as do or die. The old man is alive and well.
Re: Ekwueme Rejected Senate President Position In 1999 -obasanjo by Katsumoto: 7:39pm On Oct 29, 2010
Donmeca:

So everybody shd join your chop chop political ideology just to remain relevant? u're definitely not reasoning well. . .how old was Ekwueme in 1999 and how old is he now? the man decided as a matter of principle & not law, that he must not seek power with his blood and the blood of others. . .is that a problem?
?

he shd have gone to the senate to remain relevant today, abi? No wonder your people take politics as do or die. The old man is alive and well.

That wasn't necessary; unguarded generalisations and tribal mudslinging, lead us nowhere. There are great men in all tribes just as there are imbeciles and never-do-well personalities in all tribes.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

President Goodluck Jonathan’s Village Gets Federal University / N’assembly Kills 6-yr Single Term Proposal / To Have Stable Electricity, Vote Out PDP-FASHOLA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.