Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,545 members, 7,819,939 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? (24427 Views)

How Do Entrepreneurs That Use Petrol Engines Cope? / 20 Successful Under-40 Entrepreneurs In Nigeria / 4 New Year Resolutions For Entrepreneurs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 7:54am On Sep 19, 2019
Vincad:
I recently read an anonymous post of a guy who got a six million naira job immediately after service. From 19,800 to 6million. Will you advise that guy to quit his job just to answer to the term 'entrepreneur'?
Sure not everyone will be like him, just like not everyone can be into business.
6 million a month job as Director General or what

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by pocohantas(f): 7:54am On Sep 19, 2019
CoolAmbience:

I agree with you largely.

However, I think you should modify the topic to read 'some entrepreneurs' or 'so many entrepreneurs'.

I am an entrepreneur and I do not degrade people who work 9 to 5. Why should I? I mean, don't we entrepreneurs need people to work in our teams or organisations? What can we do without these invaluable human resources?

If I added some to the entrepreneurs, I would have had to add it to the 9-5 too. Felt that will make my topic too long, after all- I didn't say ALL. There is SOME in the post though

Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by slimdamatrix1(m): 7:55am On Sep 19, 2019
Op the thing really enter you Sha ooo grin

Anyway, I have both as friends as some do this, some don't. Can't judge anyone based on a few.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Jarus(m): 7:55am On Sep 19, 2019
I have a 9-5 job and a side business. All the turnover (not even profit) I have made from it in 6 years is less than my 3 month gross pay from 9-5 job. Imagine leaving 9-5 job for that. The hunger ehnnn.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by tradepunter: 7:56am On Sep 19, 2019
There are two sides to the same coin to an extent. An entrepreneur with no connection to network of people who can become potential funders, will get a job after a while.
An 9-5 worker whose not on a career path and remains stagnant for years in one position will eventually turn out to be a dead weight when he or she is out for work.

A worker who apsires and adds value will see his business client from the day to day interaction he encounters with his company clients..

A 9-5 worker could see his efforts as a sacrifice for his children whereby he's working, saving and injecting it in a future business that will grow.

There is technically no argument or more or less a senseless and baseless comparison.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by TemmyT002(m): 7:56am On Sep 19, 2019
Lol
That's because we are not your mates. We take no orders from anyone. We can employ you sef. We have freedom.
We can do whatever we want.
Don't be jealous.
All fingers are not equal.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Vincad: 7:57am On Sep 19, 2019
goody1shoe73:
I smell lies
Gomd:

Guy .... easy with the lie na... we nurh be small pikin
Ishilove:

Per annum or monthly?
Sleevia:
6Million per month, from NYSC? Bros, soffry dey lie o. You already said anonymous, so your post should be taken with a pinch of salt

Monthly and like I said I read it, I am not the one. I read it when a blogger asked for submissions on how people got their first million. I believe him because of the course he said he studied and I know that it is possible for people with that degree in the right company. You can choose to believe or not I don't care, after all it won't add any millions to my own account.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by pocohantas(f): 7:57am On Sep 19, 2019
Jarus:
I have a 9-5 job and a side business. All the turnover (not even profit) I have made from it in 6 years is less than my 3 month gross pay from 9-5 job. Imagine leaving 9-5 job for that. The hunger ehnnn.

grin
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by mployer(m): 7:58am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:

Please, lets not act like most business people are comfortable. From my last job to the current, I have been in units that make me see lots of "entrepreneurs" books. Majority of them struggle to stay afloat.

How many businesses in Nigeria can rake in 150k in profit?

You are talking middle class 9-5, most 1-man businesses shouting entrepreneur are way below middle class.

Lots of our parents did businesses, how far? Isn't it what some of them saw that made them insist their kids must be educated?

Abeg. Tell this one to someone who hasn't seen both sides. My parents are business people and I know their struggles, not this eldorado you new-generation business men paint.

Even the organization you are working is a business set up by somebody who didn't give up. Did you ever think about that?

He set it up and gave you a job. What are you doing for the coming generation?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Offpoint: 7:58am On Sep 19, 2019
Jarus:

9-5 is a fixed term for corporate job. Doesn't mean some people dont do 7am to 5pm in other countries too.
That term should be amendedgrin
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Jarus(m): 7:58am On Sep 19, 2019
soul95:

Who told you so? Tim Cook gets remunerations of over 80-100 million dollars as apple CEO.

A mid level management staff at ExxonMobil can see up to 36 million naira a year. So what's your point?

Junior level management staff*

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by kingkuntaval: 7:59am On Sep 19, 2019
Excallibur:
If you love your children, get a business cos when u die they cannot inherit a job but a business

Sometimes the way you guys talk really irritates someone, seems like so many persons on nairaland are either living in a bubble or a parallel universe, are you aware that the rate of failure of businesses/start-ups in Nigeria is almost at 85%. Even people selling cards or running one roadside tailoring outfit, will be tagging themselves as entrepreneurs. Make we hear word abeg. Having a job and a business at the same time aren't mutually exclusive, one can have it both ways and both are interdependent.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by tradepunter: 7:59am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:

What are majority of Nigerian entrepreneurs creating? Opening shops selling the same thing?

You start selling bra and you think you are an entrepreneur?

The only entrepreneur in that chain, is the man who looked at those boobies and realised they need a home. Or the one who went a step further to add iron to it- lifting up fallen heroes.

We keep doing the same thing, zero innovation and shouting ENTREPRENEUR. That is just buying and selling.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 7:59am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:

What are majority of Nigerian entrepreneurs creating? Opening shops selling the same thing?

The only entrepreneur in that chain, is the man who looked at those boobies and realised they need a home. Or the one who went a step further to add iron to it- lifting up fallen heroes.

We keep doing the same thing, zero innovation and shouting ENTREPRENEUR. That is just buying and selling.

Having spare cash exposes you to what entrepreneurship is really about. You have a problem, you Google it and you find someone already has made a product that addresses the issue. By doing so, the person has created an entire value chain in the development, production, packaging, and sale of the item.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Grupo(m): 8:00am On Sep 19, 2019
Vincad:
I recently read an anonymous post of a guy who got a six million naira job immediately after service. From 19,800 to 6million. Will you advise that guy to quit his job just to answer to the term 'entrepreneur'?
Sure not everyone will be like him, just like not everyone can be into business.

6 million a year? That's possible. 6 million a month in Nigeria as a new intake? Lies, lies, lies.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by mrvitalis(m): 8:00am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:

Please, lets not act like most business people are comfortable. From my last job to the current, I have been in units that make me see lots of "entrepreneurs" books. Majority of them struggle to stay afloat.

How many businesses in Nigeria can rake in 150k in NET profit?

You are talking middle class 9-5, most 1-man businesses shouting entrepreneur are way below middle class.

Lots of our parents did businesses, how far? Isn't it what some of them saw that made them insist their kids must be educated?

Abeg. Tell this one to someone who hasn't seen both sides. My parents are business people and I know their struggles, not this eldorado you new-generation business men paint.
Its just about potential...he may make 80k a week but there is a chance he can make 80 million a day

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by millionboi2: 8:00am On Sep 19, 2019
Icon4s:
Some times na beef. Give dem Chevron job now and see whether they will not change their "be an entrepreneur" song.
thats d point,d available is not as Chevron thus does not worth d stress.

Abi how many ppl for ur village dey work at Chevron.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:01am On Sep 19, 2019
mployer:

Don't chicken out bro. So if everyone keeps looking for a well paid job, who is going to create the jobs?
I am not chickening out, just stating the facts.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by pocohantas(f): 8:01am On Sep 19, 2019
mployer:

Even the organization you are working is a business set up by somebody who didn't give up. Did you ever think about that?

He set it up and gave you a job. What are doing for the coming generation?

I did think of that and I respect that. So, we should all go setting up businesses?

Must I set up one?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoldPencil: 8:01am On Sep 19, 2019
Also it is impossible for everyone to be a boss. In this life something must be up and another down. one left and another right. leader and follower, white and black, master and slave, cheater and cheated. Boss and employee. It is how the universe operates.

What is constant though is change. You are not meant to be on one side forever. You win then you lose then you win again. Cycle of life.

Everyday another human is born to take the place of another, but 9-5ers want to die on one side. You are meant to do 9-5 to get enough capital to now become an employer. you serve first then you lead.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 19, 2019
Jarus:

From range rover to okada cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Neddyogu(m): 8:02am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:

Why can't I get comfortable in my job? Is it your comfortable? grin Why should a problem lie there?

The Western countries Nigerians are running in mass to; majority don't go there with the hope of trading (this is the definition of entrepreneurship in Nigeria). They go there to do same 9-5, sometimes a less professional one, all to survive.

This means the problem was never the 9-5, but the system, system being the country.

If you can be comfortable with your business despite growing competition and difficulty in doing business which has led to the death of so many businesses in Nigeria. Why should I not be comfortable in my job.

When your business has issues, you blame the government for making it hard for you (and expect me to sympathise with you), BUT when I lose my job- you blame me for being a comfortable salary earner.

Forgetting it is the same system fcking us all, just different styles and orifices.

I am sure there are many 9-5 that your entrepreneurship would never be IMPORTANTER than and vice versa.

Different strokes...

Dem neva see salary. Make UN or UKAID or USAID or OIM pay dem salary and see if dem go dey talk of entrepreneur abi entrepreshop

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Jarus(m): 8:02am On Sep 19, 2019
millionboi2:
thats d point,d available is not as Chevron thus does not worth d stress.

Abi how many ppl for ur village dey work at Chevron.

How many "entrepreneurs" earn profit of N1m per month?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Drosonogasta(m): 8:02am On Sep 19, 2019
jogbho:
You can't be a boss without serving first
Retirees wey dey house wetin u feel dem been dey do? I know of many wey never boss, they are totally confined to living from hand to mouth. Think wisely the system has changed.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Jarus(m): 8:03am On Sep 19, 2019
ornicus:

From range rover to okada cheesy

lol grin
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Hedonisco: 8:03am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:

How many businesses in Nigeria can rake in 150k in profit?

Since you're talking from your narrow perspective, have you ever bothered to find out how many employees in Nigeria earn up to N150k a month?

When evaluating this matter, you should compare 'like for like'. You don't compare a low level entrepreneur with a mid level manager earning a good salary, or even with an entry level guy working at a plum job like ExxonMobil. That's ridiculous. What's the percentile of graduates working at such jobs in comparison with the vast majority of hungry, underemployed employees slaving away for peanuts every month?

Now check the under 50 home owners across Nigeria's major cities. 90% of them are entrepreneurs. Thousands of average Igbo and Yoruba traders and hustlers own very nice middle class duplexes everywhere across Lagos, Abuja etc. How many 'average' employees can boast of same?

Apart from the tiny percentage of salary earners fortunate enough to have NLNG type of jobs with outrageous salaries, any average employee who owns a decent duplex or even bungalow in a decent part of Lagos or Abuja is likely a thief - benefitting from the corruption that is the only thing that they know how to do. He did not and cannot build/buy a house and live that kind of lifestyle from his legitimate salary.

Better face facts.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by mployer(m): 8:04am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:

Dangote started as a trader. Same survival skill is needed in production and trading.

Never forget a super market owner is a trader but the road side restaurant woman is a producer. Same business skill applies.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by pocohantas(f): 8:05am On Sep 19, 2019
I didn't read past the first paragraph, but yes- that is my point exactly. Both sides don't have it easy. 9-5 know they can earn better. Why do business people act like they are all earning millions?!

Hedonisco:

Since you're talking from your narrow perspective, have you ever bothered to find out how many employees on Nigeria earn up to N150k a month?

When evaluating this matter, you should compare 'like for like'. You don't compare a low level entrepreneur with a mid level manager earning a good salary, or even with an entry level guy working at a plum job like ExxonMobil. That's ridiculous. What's the percentile of graduates working at such jobs in comparison with the vast majority of hungry, underemployed employees slaving away for peanuts every month?

Now check the under 50 home owners across Nigeria's major cities. 90% of them are entrepreneurs. Thousands of average Igbo traders and even Yoruba hustlers own very nice middle class duplexes everywhere across Lagos, Abuja etc. How many 'average' employees can boast of same?

Apart from the tiny percentage of salary earners fortunate enough to have NLNG type of jobs with outrageous salaries, any average employee who owns a decent duplex or even bungalow in a decent part of Lagos or Abuja is likely a thief - benefitting from the corruption that is the only thing that they know how to do. He did not and cannot build/buy a house and live that kind of lifestyle from his legitimate salary.

Better face facts.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Thegamingorca(m): 8:05am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:

I did think of that and I respect that. So, we should all go setting up businesses?

Must I set up one?

How many Nigerian businesses have the ability to make up to 80m a day? What business or service are you offering?

How many even celebrate 5yrs birthday in good health? grin

smiley
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by pocohantas(f): 8:05am On Sep 19, 2019
mployer:

Dangote started as a trader. Same survival skill is needed in production and trading.

Never forget a super market owner is a trader but the road side restaurant woman is a producer. Same business skill applies.

And he finally brought in something different. What do most business people do differently? Nothing.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Reference(m): 8:06am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:
If you are a salary earner, you must be used to hearing these statements from people who are self-employed.

“Immediately after graduation, I vowed never to work for anyone”

“Salary is the token you are paid to forget your dreams”

“Ever since I made up my mind to start my own business, I have realized corporate work is just modern slavery”

“I am my own boss, I control my time”

“You can never get rich working for someone else”... etc

Business people won't allow someone rest. Are we in a competition? The goal is for everyone to earn a living. Why do some of them constantly try to remind us they are living the best life.

These same people have workers o. If we all become business owners, who will patronise the other and who will handle other sectors?

Perhaps it is because folks in employment are usually the ones with so much time on their hands they bother the rest of society with unrealistic, 'out of touch with reality' nuances.

Take for instance the minimum wage issue. Despite consuming far more resources than its productivity, despite contributing in no small way to the destruction of the economy, civil servants xontinue to trouble the rest of Nigeria on the infamous minimum wage, a quest beyond the reality od the day that has resulted in addirional taxation that will hit entrepreneurs hard.

Perhaps if Nigeria was run like a business with the spirit of enterprise in it we will be more like the Trump led country, successful and more at peace.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Jarus(m): 8:07am On Sep 19, 2019
I don't have any problem with entrepreneurship/business. It is very good. But people should stop talking down 9-5 jobs when encouraging entrepreneurship.

There is nothing that says you cannot lead a decent middle class to upper middle class life with salaried jobs if you put your salaries into good use.

This is my 11th year of 9-5 job and on 3rd house. All from salaries.

I have not said you can't get that from entrepreneurship in same timeframe but people should respect the choice of others.

Not everyone wants to become a billionaire like Dangote.

21 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World / My Employer Robbed Me In Broad Daylight! / CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.