Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,286 members, 7,836,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? - Phones (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? (37591 Views)

(Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 / App That Cost ₦80,000.00 On Playstore / Sme Data: Get Mtn 1gb For N600 Or 1.5gb For N900 With 3 Month Validity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by ZinoFasisi: 1:54pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

We need to ask her first.

But you, based on your needs and lifestyle, which value will a #600k phone add to you?

Bros am not as rich as she is
So u don't expect to do "do pass myself"

If i am as rich as that, my brother. What value 1m phone adds to my life, is that it gives me a satisfaction that does not affect u in anyway.

What Logical value does charity add to u directly?

(PS: charity is very good)
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Iziquiel(m): 1:54pm On Sep 29, 2019
unscripted:
. I feel u r just trying to justify financial recklessness ... In most cases our only reason to acquire wealth is to oppress the next person . am sure if we lock most of the persons buying this phones in a room and tell them not to flaunt the phone or show it to any person .. They won't have a need for the phone again .. We just feel satisfied when we think we have what others don't have .. A very stupid way to live ..
Would you also say this is a stupid way for Bill Gates to live? That's Bill Gates leasing a Yatch for 5millon Dollars a week.. I guess he spends irrationally.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by jclassiq(m): 1:55pm On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

[b]And how have you arrived at this conclusion?[/b]You want me to seek permission from you, before i spend my money?

Simple.
From your way of reasoning which is clearly manifested in your response to the original question.

And lets even suppose that for some reason you are already rich, then I'm afraid that it might not be for long with this "extravangance, spending-money-because- i- can" mentality.

I strongly believe that the real rich people of this world spend their hard earned money to get value in return.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Sep 29, 2019
jclassiq:
. Thats why you don't see the likes of dangote,otedola, tony elumelu bragging about iPhone 12. I

But their daughters and wives are doing so, not so?

You need to keep in mind that it is over here where we also make basic items status symbols.

A lot of companies abroad actually buy these devices for some cadre of workers. Same in Nigeria. Two years back, managers had the option of galaxy phones or iPhones as official phones.

What use is the much vaunted financial intelligence if all you do is make money without spending or enjoying it? That's Ebenezer scrooge. Or that woman in the guiness books of records for worlds greatest miser. She turned 10m.into 100m, but when her son had an injury he lost his leg because she was looking for a cheap hospital. When she died he squandered the money.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by orunmila144: 1:56pm On Sep 29, 2019
jclassiq:

That young man seems irredeemable.
he is. its a sad state of affairs
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Hollusilva28(m): 1:56pm On Sep 29, 2019
Timileyin1234:

Is that ur justification?

That one na business concept. If there is no input, output is null
Don't mind Lexusgs430, he won't say the truth, but he knows the truth deeply inside his/her mind.

Let open our eyes to something here, we Africans, especially Nigeria we like flashy things just to show without adding values to our lives.

Well, you can buy iPhone 11,if u have the money, but we all know how people work relentless to get this phone either through fraud/prostitution/legit work.

For example like me, I don't like ios but I love with android, I change phone 3 times a year, but I know how I do it, I sell the old phone & add money to it, buy new phone, cos I thought many times buying phone of 600k won't add value to my life than just for fashion. Currently using Huawei phone

If you're using expensive phone of 200k above, my brother/sister, u walk to people for help, they won't help u cos they have already value ur worth.

Don't forget Bible/quoran said VANITY UPON VANITY is this world.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by orunmila144: 1:56pm On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Find someone else to quote, that would accept your insults.....

Infact if i was you, i would ignore the nonsense this chap called Lexusgs430 is talking about. ......
grin
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by wman(m): 1:57pm On Sep 29, 2019
God bless you GeoAfrikana and Lexusgs430 for your sane and matured argument devoid of insults.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by mikoli: 1:58pm On Sep 29, 2019
Deviaions..... You should start a new trend
Netanyahu1:
Most Nigerians don't understanding the definition poverty. The same people that are saying you are complaining because you can't afford it are the same guys that will refuse to pay their workers wages just to buy the new iPhone.

Same guys will pay people less than minimum wage while they drive a 50 million suv.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Reucy(f): 1:59pm On Sep 29, 2019
No matter the financial flow to my account, I don't see myself using such amount just for phone.. that's reckless spending.

I'd rather use is and get a bunch of phones and distribute to people.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by JJOF(m): 1:59pm On Sep 29, 2019
Well, I understand your stand point OP. When it comes to the purchase of costly gadgets, there are a good number of reasons why people do it.
1. They have a useful need for it.
2. They get it to boost their ego, and to show their social status (ostentatious goods).
3.Some do because they love tech stuffs, and always want to have the best.
4. Others get it because they have the money to.
For the now, I won't be thinking of getting a phone of that amount, but the moment I have the ability to purchase it, I will, cause of reason 3, n 4.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by mikoli: 2:00pm On Sep 29, 2019
Begging the question
lordjosh:

But he's not using iPhone 11pro
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by yeyeosoronga: 2:03pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Thanks for your contribution bro.
According to you, if I get you right, the fact that you can afford it is enough justification.

I don't believe this is rational. A rational human being spends on what adds value/benefit to his life.

Some people are happy to live off the prestige such a phone gives. It validates their 'high position' in the society and that's enough for them and their self esteem. They live and deal with the business of Prestige
What is valuable to you , may not be to me. Our values differ. That doesn't make them less rational than the other that spends less on a phone with same functionality.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by jclassiq(m): 2:05pm On Sep 29, 2019
ornicus:

But their daughters and wives are doing so, not so?

You need to keep in mind that it is over here where we also make basic items status symbols.

A lot of companies abroad actually buy these devices for some cadre of workers. Same in Nigeria. Two years back, managers had the option of galaxy phones or iPhones as official phones.

What use is the much vaunted financial intelligence if all you do is make money without spending or enjoying it? That's Ebenezer scrooge. Or that woman in the guiness books of records for worlds greatest miser. She turned 10m.into 100m, but when her son had an injury he lost his leg because she was looking for a cheap hospital. When she died he squandered the money.
Nah. Seems you are missing my point. Personally I don't have anything against a hardworking person enjoying the financially reward of their hard work by way of occasional indulgence. But my point is, if you cannot clearly state the value you get from spending money on a particular product, then what is the use?

I like apple products and would certainly get one for myself when I can afford it. But why must I buy the most expensive one and also make it a point to always buy the newest upgrade thats out?

That to me is a senseless way of spending money. The majority of American population use apple products and I know they can't all be wrong but I don't know if they trip over themselves the way we do over here trying to get something we can barely afford. Just to show off.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by generationz(f): 2:06pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Actually, it's not the amount that's the real issue. There are many products that cost more than #600k. But the issue is which value does it add to you?

I think you get the gist.

Lalasticlala

Status symbol and second hand value.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by mikoli: 2:07pm On Sep 29, 2019
You are a poor person
shiggy:

That's the thing, we as humans like to believe we're rational, but the truth is most times, we are very irrational, he buying a 600K as a status symbol, when a 80-100K has the same functionality, minus the status part.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by crafteck(m): 2:07pm On Sep 29, 2019
How can you justify spending it on marriage, laptop or beautifying a rented apartment... Its choice, whatever makes one happy... Do it
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 2:08pm On Sep 29, 2019
jclassiq:

Simple.
From your way of reasoning which is clearly manifested in your response to the original question.

And lets even suppose that for some reason you are already rich, then I'm afraid that it might not be for long with this "extravangance, spending-money-because- i- can" mentality.

I strongly believe that the real rich people of this world spend their hard earned money to get value in return.

This statement made me laugh, like i have not done in days......

Been rich is of the mind, a bit of spare change in the pocket to helps......

I don't have to justify how rich or poor, i am to you.... But i spend my money, in ways i deem fit. Spend yours, in ways you also deem fit....

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Iziquiel(m): 2:10pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:
We work hard to earn money, so it's rational for us to spend our money on only products/services that (we believe) will add value to our lives.

Yesterday, I heard of a phone that costs #600k. The first question that came to my mind was:

what will I enjoy from this phone that my Google Pixel won't give?

So I decided to throw this question to the house.

How can you rationally justify spending #600k on a phone?

Thanks.
That's Bill Gates leasing a Yatch for 5million Dollars per week. What do you have to say? Was he being irrational?

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by mikoli: 2:19pm On Sep 29, 2019
Person wey no get money na em talk say beer bitter.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by mikoli: 2:20pm On Sep 29, 2019
Iziquiel:

That's Bill Gates leasing a Yatch for 5million Dollars per week. What do you have to say? Was he being irrational?
I am no gay. But I love you.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by RoyalHighness7(m): 2:20pm On Sep 29, 2019
Thunder Fire Poverty

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Jarus(m): 2:20pm On Sep 29, 2019
LOL.

I can spend N600K on phone but not now. The opportunity cost at this moment is high.

That's the amount I need to roof the house I'm doing for my mum.

3 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by KayCee92(m): 2:22pm On Sep 29, 2019
You don't need justification when you have lots of that money.....you only need justification when you are in lack and wants to buy that gadget for show off.

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by orunmila144: 2:22pm On Sep 29, 2019
Jarus:
LOL.

I can spend N600K on phone but not now. The opportunity cost at this moment is high.

That's the amount I need to roof the house I'm doing for my mum.
what are ya building the house in some backwood part of the country ? grin
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by tedimola(m): 2:22pm On Sep 29, 2019
Same way, someone somewhere will ask, why someone will spend 50k on a google pixel phone, when 3,500 can be used to buy phone. is it not to make and receive call?

Bro, its not up for argument. The truth is, as our income increases, so does our preferences. its poverty that will make someone say, that same shirt in the boutique is same as the one in bend-down-select. if that prson hammer better money, bend-down-select will not see him again.

Brother man, pray for the kind of prosperity where u will not think this way when u want to buy phone of 600k, Pray for the kind of prosperity where, you will call chopper to pick you from inside hold up.

God will take us there!!!

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Aidejay(m): 2:23pm On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Financial recklessness with my money? If i am lucky enough to buy a 600K phone and the person next door feel oppressed.... I cannot help him feeling oppressed......

So I shouldn't spend my money anyhow i deem befitting, for fear of oppression? Whatever happened to my freedom of expression?
ah! Lexusgs430 u are blessed
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by orunmila144: 2:24pm On Sep 29, 2019
would any of you buy a shoe for 140 thousand naira or is that too much ? just curious
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 2:24pm On Sep 29, 2019
Iziquiel:

We need to ask the folks patronising him why they did so?

For now, we're asking you if you have a rational justification for spending #600k on a mobile phone.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Nwaohafia1: 2:26pm On Sep 29, 2019
goodmorning40:
When you get to that point of spending that kind of money on a phone you won't remember rational justification before buying it. You will just buy it wait until you get there

Have you seen Dangote or Otedola with such a phone?

The rich pretends to be poor, while the poor pretends to be rich. Inside Life

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by mbourie(m): 2:26pm On Sep 29, 2019
smasher1:

Thanks. It's someone that hasn't used Samsung, IPhone that would compare it to Tecno or Infinix. The difference is clear

I am a living witness to this statement.....After holding Samsung S series or Note series for years my eyes have adapted to Super-Amoled screen.....I would rather I use a Nokia 3310 than to use Tecno or Infinix....I cannot come and spoil my eyes.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Rooting Samsung Grand Duos / How To Opt Out Of Unsolicited MTN SMS And Adds Yourself. / 3 Things You Should Stop Doing On Your Phone This Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.