Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,577 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? (37499 Views)

(Mathematical Proof) - How People Justify Buying Phone Of N600,000 / App That Cost ₦80,000.00 On Playstore / Sme Data: Get Mtn 1gb For N600 Or 1.5gb For N900 With 3 Month Validity (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by ss1930(m): 12:31pm On Sep 29, 2019
Sadly, most Youths buy it just to show off and snap pictures.

More annoying Is the fact that most people that uses it don't earn salaries that can buy it in two months. Fake lives everywhere.

Very few Business Minded people use it despite there riches.

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by unscripted(m): 12:31pm On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:

Now your example might turnaround and bite you in the bum........ How do you ask?.....

You might just be a writer today, but tomorrow you see the trend shifting towards game development, video editing etc etc

You want to delve into those industries too, how useful would your 50K laptop be?
. I feel u r just trying to justify financial recklessness ... In most cases our only reason to acquire wealth is to oppress the next person . am sure if we lock most of the persons buying this phones in a room and tell them not to flaunt the phone or show it to any person .. They won't have a need for the phone again .. We just feel satisfied when we think we have what others don't have .. A very stupid way to live ..

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by shamsin6300(m): 12:31pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

For me, the only thing that constantly increases with my income is my charity.

Yes the quality of products I buy also increase but I only buy what I believe has value.

For example, let's say I'm a writer. All I need a laptop for is to type, typeset, Google, read PDFs and maybe watch tutorial videos.
Let's say there are laptops within 50-80k that will satisfy my needs fully.

It would be wasteful and irrational of me to spend #150k or more on a high-end laptop made for gamers, data/GIS analysts and graphic designers just because I'm able to afford it.

Wouldn't it be wise if I purchased a 60k laptop and used the remaining 90k for other needs. If I have no more needs I can give it in charity to a family member, a friend, a striving student, an orphanage, sick people in the hospital or even prison inmates.

Sir u can't compare laptop of 60k with dat of 100+
Even if ur aims of using those laptop as stated above is all u need. Wat abt the storage space, de processor e.t.c.

We all need to upgrade in life. Technology increase day by day. I once think dat way b4, dt wat will infinix, techno or Samsung shows 2 my ITEL of 12k, nt until I used a friend phone 2 browse. Come c de quilty in my face.

May Allah enrich us with gud wealth dat we can be of help 2de society & our dear country at large

11 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:
We work hard to earn money, so it's rational for us to spend our money on only products/services that (we believe) will add value to our lives.

Yesterday, I heard of a phone that costs #600k. The first question that came to my mind was:

what will I enjoy from this phone that my Google Pixel won't give?

So I decided to throw this question to the house.

How can you rationally justify spending #600k on a phone?

Thanks.

That is waste of money, but if you can afford it no problem.But Me I need #50k to start a business now.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by JackOfAllTrades: 12:31pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:
We work hard to earn money, so it's rational for us to spend our money on only products/services that (we believe) will add value to our lives.

Yesterday, I heard of a phone that costs #600k. The first question that came to my mind was:

Thanks.
It’s the experience that comes with it. iOS has the best user experience in all smartphones in mine opinion. The gestures and speed is second to none. Plus it’s free from suspicious apps

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by zimakod(m): 12:32pm On Sep 29, 2019
personally, I feel its not bad. if you have too much money, why can't you spend it on something you like (phone).

If you are broke, you will blame the rich for spending that amount, but to them it is peanut.

so relax.... make ur money and buy whatever you like.

abeg check my new app: https://quicknews.com.ng

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by miqos02(m): 12:32pm On Sep 29, 2019
muffyt05:

I'm sorry to say but that's just a lame reason for buying it. I'm 100% certain that Dangote, Otedola and even Bill Gate will never go for such irrational spending just cos they can afford it.
do you know dangote has a yatch worth 25million dollars? If you have the money spend it please.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by dkdmy: 12:32pm On Sep 29, 2019
So everything we buy must add value to us?
Being rational is relative, cos if I can’t buy what I like, then why am I working?

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by mcgaius: 12:33pm On Sep 29, 2019
Phone is even justified because you it's something that you will be using always but much question is,why would someone buy 100% gold toilet and install in his house?

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by OdenKelechi(m): 12:33pm On Sep 29, 2019
Spending 600k on a phone means you have more than that amount to your name. You can't have 700k and use 600k on a phone when you're not mad. Point is, when you have the money in excess, your taste increases, you want nothing but the best not minding the cost, as long as you can afford it

7 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Geenosko: 12:33pm On Sep 29, 2019
Is it your money?

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Mplify(m): 12:33pm On Sep 29, 2019
My Question is what happened to the EXPENSIVE PHONES this same people have been using? So iphone 11 pro came out and their Old phones catch fire abi �.

It's all SHOWOFF. Thats my opinion.

5 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by AZeD1(m): 12:34pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Thanks.
What does your pixel give you that you can't find in techno or Xaomi?

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 12:35pm On Sep 29, 2019
unscripted:
. I feel u r just trying to justify financial recklessness ... In most cases our only reason to acquire wealth is to oppress the next person . am sure if we lock most of the persons buying this phones in a room and tell them not to flaunt the phone or show it to any person .. They won't have a need for the phone again .. We just feel satisfied when we think we have what others don't have .. A very stupid way to live ..

Financial recklessness with my money? If i am lucky enough to buy a 600K phone and the person next door feel oppressed.... I cannot help him feeling oppressed......

So I shouldn't spend my money anyhow i deem befitting, for fear of oppression? Whatever happened to my freedom of expression?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 12:35pm On Sep 29, 2019
IamaNigerianGuy:
Foolishness does have any rational justification as you can see from the responses on this thread.

If you understand the time value of money and how compound interest works, you will not waste your money on frivolities or be a victim of corporations that want to get your hard earned coin.

Even Americans are waking up to the realization that the iPhone is a big scam but for our brain dead youth, it's not yet dawn.

This is too true for the public.
lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by wealth499(m): 12:35pm On Sep 29, 2019
KngGezy:

Luxury and Necessities

An iPhone is not for those who needs a phone it's for those who wants a phone. The users wants it not for how it can serve them as seen with various Chinese models, that you can get 8gig ram, 1terabyte rom and 5000 amp battery for less than 100k. But they want it for how it can add to them, their status and their ego. Sometimes you are so rich that luxuries become Necessities because you can afford it on a daily. The good looses it monetary value and you cannot do without it.

Now to obligations, Alms giving is of God. God will tell a person when and to whom he is to give alms. Nobody under any law in force in any part of the country is obligated to give alms.

In conclusion everything is based on perspective
it's not until God tells you to give alms before you do, you do because you feel the pain the person is going through and giving alms should mostly bother on humanity and not religion.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by SOZINN: 12:36pm On Sep 29, 2019
sanmtiago:
The truth is there’s nothing wrong in buying the phone if you receive exorbitant salary or if you’re really affluent. But the lower class Nigerian want that fone for show off! I know Nigerians well well
Even as person go broke reach e go wan buy expensive gadgets so that e go use intimidate e fellow poor people.
I know a few people who have iPhone X but can’t afford 3 square meal.
Really some people no get concept for life
Life no be competition but na only few understand that phrase

I swear na so e be some of this niggas buying this thing can't afford it they just want o intimidate others and act like they can actually afford it grin grin grin
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by CAPSLOCKED: 12:36pm On Sep 29, 2019
Lexusgs430:
When money no dey ground, you start to reason and rationale...........

And by extension of that poor nature, you naturally criticise those not swimming in that poor river with you.........

THESE ARE THE FOOLS AND JUDGEMENTAL HYPOCRITES I ALWAYS TALK ABOUT.

THEY THINK BUYING A PHONE OF 500K IS STUPID BUT BUYING A PHONE OF 100K IS OKAY.

IF THEY UNDERSTAND WHY THEY USE PHONES OF 40K INSTEAD OF A 4K PHONE, THEY'LL UNDERSTAND WHY OTHERS SPEND THEIR MONEY IN ANY WAYS THEY LIKE.

10 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 12:36pm On Sep 29, 2019
AZeD1:

What does your pixel give you that you can't find in techno or Xaomi?

My pixel is London used. So it's cheaper than new techno phones.

Plus, I bought it from a friend which made it a lot cheaper.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by tommy589(m): 12:37pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Thanks.

It has to do with choice or interest. I can not buy a phone of 600 thousand naira but I can buy shoe or wristwatch of over 600 thousand naira. And I don't need to justify because it is what I like
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by mrvitalis(m): 12:37pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Thanks.
When 600k is less than 20% of your weekly income ...u are allowed to spoil your self

Even bill gate bought a book for 32 million dollars
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by slawomir: 12:37pm On Sep 29, 2019
ss1930:
Sadly, most Youths buy it just to show off and snap pictures.

More annoying Is the fact that most people that uses it don't earn salaries that can buy it in two months. Fake lives everywhere.

Very few Business Minded people use it despite there riches.

Brother sometimes you need to fake and package the life before your money start coming

3 Likes

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by StaffofOrayan(m): 12:37pm On Sep 29, 2019
It's an African thing that can be linked to poverty of the mind.
We do videos showing wads of cash
We show our watches, diamond chains, phones, and other senseless things that we don't produce.
In the west these phones are bought on contract and most people pay less than $50 monthly to own.
It's the same reason Africans take pictures with Gucci and Versace and are envied by other shallow fellows.
That's why white artists never oppress themselves musically, that's reserved for blacks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 29, 2019
ZinoFasisi:

If dangote buys that kind of phone will u call him irrational?

U choose to give ur money to charity because u derive a kind of satisfaction and self fulfilment from it not because u owe anybody a charity obligation (U owe nobody explanation on what u derive from charity).

I choose to spend my money on a luxury item and properties because i can afford it and still have more than enough. I buy luxury because it gives me a sense of self fulfilment and satisfaction (I owe nobody explanation on this).

Rationality is subjective, what is rational to u may not be rational to me and thats why we are humans.

Nobody owes nobody explanation on how they spend their money. I spend my money on what i deem fit not what any1 else deems fit for me cow u didn't make d money for me.

Some people will never still understand this no matter how you explain it. Give it up bro
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Lexusgs430: 12:38pm On Sep 29, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

THESE ARE THE FOOLS AND JUDGEMENTAL HYPOCRITES I ALWAYS TALK ABOUT.

THEY THINK BUYING A PHONE OF 500K IS STUPID BUT BUYING A PHONE OF 100K IS OKAY.

IF THEY UNDERSTAND WHY THEY USE PHONES OF 40K INSTEAD OF A 4K PHONE, THEY'LL UNDERSTAND WHY OTHERS SPEND THEIR MONEY IN ANY WAYS THEY LIKE.

I TIRE FOR OUR MENTALITY O....
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by DexterousOne(m): 12:38pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Thanks.

It's all about the circumstances

If you can afford 5 of it without scratching yourself
You can afford one of it to satisfy yourself

There is NOTHING WRONG with it
As long as you are not ruining yourself financially for it

That is the truth

What is wrong is squeezing yourself for it
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by sanmtiago(m): 12:39pm On Sep 29, 2019
SOZINN:

I swear na so e be some of this niggas buying this thing can't afford it they just want o intimidate others and act like they can actually afford it grin grin grin
and some Barney’s go still follow them thinking the world revolves around them cry
Life na really mystery
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Kinematics: 12:39pm On Sep 29, 2019
goodmorning40:
When you get to that point of spending that kind of money on a phone you won't remember rational justification before buying it. You will just buy it wait until you get there

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by AZeD1(m): 12:40pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

My pixel is London used. So it's cheaper than new techno phones.

Plus, I bought it from a friend which made it a lot cheaper.
I'm pretty sure you can still getting a cheaper phone.

Point is there's someone out there who is wondering why spend so much on a phone....

1 Like

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by GeoAfrikana(m): 12:40pm On Sep 29, 2019
majamajic:

What's the difference between 100k and 600 ?

Half a million. More than half of Nigerians don't have that amount in their bank account.
Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Adiwana: 12:41pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

For me, the only thing that constantly increases with my income is my charity.

Yes the quality of products I buy also increase but I only buy what I believe has value.

For example, let's say I'm a writer. All I need a laptop for is to type, typeset, Google, read PDFs and maybe watch tutorial videos.
Let's say there are laptops within 50-80k that will satisfy my needs fully.

It would be wasteful and irrational of me to spend #150k or more on a high-end laptop made for gamers, data/GIS analysts and graphic designers just because I'm able to afford it.

Wouldn't it be wise if I purchased a 60k laptop and used the remaining 90k for other needs. If I have no more needs I can give it in charity to a family member, a friend, a striving student, an orphanage, sick people in the hospital or even prison inmates

The has to be the most stupid shiit I have read all week. So instead of spending big on a high powered PC that will help you to work to make more money to be now able to spend on charity comfortably and still able to have extra cash, you spend more than half of that on charity and then go hungry. How then can you afford continuous charity if you are not earning??

Do you think having a high end PC is only meant for gamers and graphic designers?? What then happens if you happen to branch into data analysis or kick off a free lancing career in graphics designing say 6 months after buying the pc??you go purchasing that same laptop thereby abandoning your old laptop that cannot meet the requirements.Its called Pennywise Pounds foolish

This is the most foolish statement of all time.smfh

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can You Rationally Justify Spending N600,00 On A Phone? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Sep 29, 2019
GeoAfrikana:

Thanks for your contribution bro.
According to you, if I get you right, the fact that you can afford it is enough justification.

I don't believe this is rational. A rational human being spends on what adds value/benefit to his life.

We don't expect someone like Mark Zuckerberg to be buying Tecno because he doesn't want to spend much or spend wisely, if you have the money, nothing is stopping.Like me I can't use a phone with Snapdragon 845 below, it's below my standard because I'm a Gamer and u don't expect me to be Gaming with a Tecno phone, so when I was buying a Phone I got myself Xiaomi Pocophone F1 which is about 100k, which is like my 1 month salary. Some of my co-workers was like why will I waste my money to buy a phone of that amount? I'm like your 60k phone can't even run the Games am playing on my phone, so Wha Tha Hell.

It's all about preference and what u want, I'm sure if I had gone for a Smaller phone, I won't be satisfied. I got a phone that can do the task and sure it's the cheapest in that range.

It does the task I want and that's all that matters.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Innjoo Max & Innjoo Max 2 Plus Official Discussion Thread / NCC Unveils New Unified Short Codes For All Mobile Networks In The Country / How To Check If Your Iphone Is New Or Refurbished

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.