Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,880 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? (15164 Views)

Anambra Road Commuters Lament Alleged Extortion By Military / Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel / Samuel Getachew Complains Of Extortion By Immigration Officers At MMIA, Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by Glory2DLamb(m): 12:59pm On Oct 04, 2019
J111333:
Do they have to charge again after I have paid for postage with the post office here? Don't they liase in some kind of way?

It is part of the extortion that characterizes our nation right now. It is oppressive.

The charges are because they are "imported ". I had the experience with a package of solar lamp sent to me from the UK. I made noise insisting it was a gift and not for commercial purposes. Anyhow, I ended up paying something though not the original charges.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by Tajbol4splend(m): 1:00pm On Oct 04, 2019
lereinter:

But the thing has not stopped

How do you stop corrupt almost 100m people
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by Gazzy88(m): 1:17pm On Oct 04, 2019
toprealman:
GIG logistics
Never knew they do international shipping. That's awesome.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by Dcaliphate(m): 1:18pm On Oct 04, 2019
toprealman:
Jungle life in Naija...... everybody looking for how to exploit just anybody.
A tailor sent some items via courier. He smartly added his own çut. Sent him the cash only for me to see the right amount online whilst tracking my package. Laugh no gree me. Men of integrity almost extinct.
Hope u paid him well for the cloth. Paying people well reduces their urge to exploit u.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by masseratti: 1:38pm On Oct 04, 2019
9JAFULLBREED:
You better pay that money or find a way to negociate before them go change that laptop to a ROCK with the same LBs/KG embarassed
you liked are the ones that spoiled this Country with your line of thoughts.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 04, 2019
logan2:
are you serious, cos I took delivery of two phones from lagos right here in delta state yesterday at just 800naira charge

I'm telling you my personal experience with them. And What's it with the sacarsm? Why would I waste my time typing just to lie.

1 Like

Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by drpat1: 1:41pm On Oct 04, 2019
J111333:
Here is the story. I sent two laptops to a cousin in UniPort through the United States Post Office Priority package and paid about $120 for postage.

Upon arrival of the package, the Nigeria Post Office called her to come pick up the package with N25k and I was like is this a joke or what?
Is this how it is done or is this extortion and what can be done about it?

So finally what did she do? She really have to negociate with them. Next time write gift, may be it will help. Though it didn't help in 2012 when i visited China and sent two kids bicycles and few clothes to the Netherlands. I paid €70 when i came back at my door..after i agreed to receive the package.

What we should be bothered about is where these payments go and what they really do with them.

In Sweden whatever you order from out side the country, no matter the value. You have to pay duty to pick it.
In the Netherlands it's €22.5 then you have to pay duty fees. I always try to go for items below this amount.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Oct 04, 2019
logan2:
madam sufri lie, undecided even nipost delivers at 24hrs depending on the type of mail you use....

Who's telling a lie? This was to katsina and Abakaliki respectively. It took at least that long or so but not far fetched so where's the lie there.
So the OP too is telling a lie abi you dey work there? You better talk.

For your info, it wasn't a mail, it was a parcel. Two different things. Read through before you argue with your keypad next time.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by dotedote: 1:46pm On Oct 04, 2019
Alexk2:
Is it only me that's thinking that it's your cousin that may want to scam you. All I know is that Your cousin is not supposed to pay to receive.

Don't say what you don't know to start an episode of distrust btw d two pls. They charge WELLA.
If they could charge you here for earpiece, how much more for laptops ?
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by logan2(m): 1:56pm On Oct 04, 2019
Jewessgratitude:

Who's telling a lie? This was to katsina and Abakaliki respectively. It took at least that long or so but not far fetched so where's the lie there.
So the OP too is telling a lie abi you dey work there? You better talk.

[b]For your info, it wasn't a mail, it was a parcel. [/b]Two different things. Read through before you argue with your keypad next time.
from katsina to Abakaliki, and you wanted it in 24hrs? Ah come on, that's not fair even in the US, How much did you pay... Like I said if your parcel is top priority, you can you can use another type of mail offered by nipost, it's all written in their office..

A parcel and a mail, are you not mailing the parcel? How are they different... PLS lets learn to appreciate what we have, the problem with Nigerians is that they complain too much.... In your case, I don't see anything that should warrant you to say nipost aren't doing a good job...
As for Op, I strongly believe this is his first time in sending a parcel to Nigeria,and at that failed to understand how stuffs work...
I don understand his fears, those cash, however the situation can be resolved, without creating a thread,
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by slimderek(m): 1:57pm On Oct 04, 2019
Alexk2:
Is it only me that's thinking that it's your cousin that may want to scam you. All I know is that Your cousin is not supposed to pay to receive.
Just you and two other people.
This things happen in naija
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by logan2(m): 2:01pm On Oct 04, 2019
Jewessgratitude:

I'm telling you my personal experience with them. And What's it with the sacarsm? Why would I waste my time typing just to lie.
maybe you were been extorted or the time frame you wanted your parcel delivered resulted in the hike, you should stand your ground next time and ask how come the hike in price,
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by logan2(m): 2:02pm On Oct 04, 2019
evy800:

Hmmm...pls were is their office located in warri?
not warri, abraka
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by bluefilm: 2:20pm On Oct 04, 2019
Corrupt people full for this countiri, aswear.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by Chelseafan1: 2:20pm On Oct 04, 2019
post=82829126:
OP, We hope this image below helps.....

Bro, kindly help me calculate how much I should pay to EMS for 7 days shipping of combined 15kg for Ogbono, Ground Egusi and Bonga fish to The USA from Nigeria.

They are charging me 98 thousand naira without packaging and VAT.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by biggy26: 2:23pm On Oct 04, 2019
Alexk2:
Pls don't cause problem between them, you pay to receive. It's like cargo!!
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by biggy26: 2:25pm On Oct 04, 2019
J111333:
Here is the story. I sent two laptops to a cousin in UniPort through the United States Post Office Priority package and paid about $120 for postage.

Upon arrival of the package, the Nigeria Post Office called her to come pick up the package with N25k and I was like is this a joke or what?
I don't know the amount they charge for such specifically, but you pay charges to receive such goods, even courier services charge for certain items. It's cargo.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by Nobody: 2:29pm On Oct 04, 2019
To think I was praising this people last week cry

My things are stuck with them in Lagos after sending them.from Abuja post office.
Two loads were forwarded while the rest were left behind

After coughing out more than 500k.

Ems or whatever they call themselves. I have forwarded an email to their headquarter.

I've been using them so I don't understand what the problem is now.
And when I called, the way I was answered was very funny.
Have called Abuja office and waiting for their reply this evening.
Thieves.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by IceColdVeins(m): 2:39pm On Oct 04, 2019
Next time use God is Good to avoid stories
J111333:

Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Oct 04, 2019
Thanks for your contribution. I receive packages from Nigeria and I've never paid a penny.
I'll tell her to talk to their supervisor or sth.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by wabbyland(m): 2:53pm On Oct 04, 2019
lookingfly:
Even free shipping from AliExpress, nipost go still de charge person for domestic fee, so AliExpress that said it's free shipping and didn't charge a dime are fools. Some times i wonder what's wrong with this country.

I'm thinking of buying a phone from AliExpress at the end of the month. any idea how much nipost might charge?
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by pacespot(m): 2:55pm On Oct 04, 2019
So the courier charges are this much, how am I planing to go into shipping business?

I've been receiving letters from overseas since without any charges.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Oct 04, 2019
logan2:
from katsina to Abakaliki, and you wanted it in 24hrs? Ah come on, that's not fair even in the US, How much did you pay... Like I said if your parcel is top priority, you can you can use another type of mail offered by nipost, it's all written in their office..

A parcel and a mail, are you not mailing the parcel? How are they different... PLS lets learn to appreciate what we have, the problem with Nigerians is that they complain too much.... In your case, I don't see anything that should warrant you to say nipost aren't doing a good job...
As for Op, I strongly believe this is his first time in sending a parcel to Nigeria,and at that failed to understand how stuffs work...
I don understand his fears, those cash, however the situation can be resolved, without creating a thread,

You see? I said" To kastina and Abakaliki" I didn't say "from katsina to Abakaliki"
I posted from Lagos.

Mail is different from a parcel/package. mail and mailing has to do with letter. Parcels/packages are posted, not mailed.

Mails and parcels are posted.

Calm down and read well bro.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by phumtadeic: 3:09pm On Oct 04, 2019

1 Like

Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by phumtadeic: 3:22pm On Oct 04, 2019

1 Like

Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by crytoj: 4:18pm On Oct 04, 2019
J111333:

Justi4jesu would have done it for way cheaper I hear
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by olahpet777(m): 4:55pm On Oct 04, 2019
Vision2060:
If this is true and you are sure, please make it go viral on twitter also and tag the necessary authority EFCC ICPC etc.

"Nigeria will be GREAT"

Na u nor sabi talk oh. When i bought my phone from ali express sef, na 2h i use collect am.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by 9JAFULLBREED(m): 4:55pm On Oct 04, 2019
post=82829137:

An average Nigerian mentality.
He should better pay?
If you guys keep thinking like this,
How do we get the change that we voted for.
This is appaling.

You better STAND FOR YOUR RIGHT!

Pocket that your mentality BS bro! + u don't need to quote me.

Whatever u voted for is your headache and not mine.

If you dont know whats going on at the post office then ask to learn.

Yes i said it again dem fit comot phone from your package and put rock wey go be the same lbs.

The system don dey fvcked up no be today so why trying to pakcage it because the OP no based for naija right?

Naija go better but WHEN is what we don't know.

So for DHL to be demanding 70K+ for iphone 11 as customs duty is what u voted for?

Make i no even go Fedex side.

WakkaPass bro.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by lookingfly: 5:49pm On Oct 04, 2019
wabbyland:

I'm thinking of buying a phone from AliExpress at the end of the month. any idea how much nipost might charge?
would be based on how heavy the parcel is but shouldn't be more than #500. The highest I've been charged for a shoe i bought was #300.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by debasco1(m): 6:14pm On Oct 04, 2019
J111333:

Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by debasco1(m): 6:16pm On Oct 04, 2019
[quote author=J111333 post=82817534]Here is the story. I sent two laptops to a cousin in UniPort through the United States Post Office Priority package and paid about $120 for postage.

Are you sure you are not fabricating story here. I think that should be custom duty payment.
Re: Is This Extortion By The Nigeria Post Office? by kmzee(m): 6:25pm On Oct 04, 2019
I was asked to =N=13,500=00 for my used cloths
and shoes I personally sent and fully paid $270 from Cambridge Boston
via United States Postal Service. By the Nigerian Postal Service in Nigeria
I was charged VAT on the Used mini laptop and outrageous charges
I strongly believe it was fraudulent.... they claimed it was customs but the
invoice I was given was that of NIPOST.
I asked if automated payment system was available, they insist I paid cash.
Officials of NIPOST should TAKE NOTE and do something before their CORPORATE IMAGE
gets battered. Still have the so called INVOICE

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sanwo-Olu Takes A Tour Of The Recently Completed Lagos City Train (Video) / Dana Air Responds To Nairalander's Claim / Insecurity: Abuja-Kaduna railway passengers rise by 270%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.