Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:18 PM

Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel (29815 Views)

Use Enugu Airport For International Travel - Ethiopian Airlines To S-Easterners / Airport Officials Collecting Money In Place Of COVID-19 Test - Sahara Reporters / How Airport Officials Can Easily Plant Drugs On Your Luggage (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:57pm On Nov 01, 2021
Just recently I watched a video of an American woman who officials at the Lagos airport attempted to extort in the guise that her covid 19 documentation was incomplete.

I have also heard how officials at the airports in Nigeria extort outbound travelers especially those with Virgin passports.

This thread aims to expose the antics of corrupt airport officials and if possible report such incidences to the appropriate quarters.

Over to you guys, let the experience roll in.

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Myzubby(m): 8:19pm On Nov 01, 2021
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by my5andtom2: 9:13pm On Nov 01, 2021
sirrotex:
Just recently I watched a video of an American woman who officials at the Lagos airport attempted to extort in the guise that her covid 19 documentation was incomplete.

I have also heard how officials at the airports in Nigeria extort outbound travelers especially those with Virgin passports.

This thread aims to expose the antics of corrupt airport officials and if possible report such incidences

to the appropriate quarters.

Over to you guys, let the experience roll in.

Oga no be new matter, na normal thing for naija be that. There is nothing anyone can do or since they scrape the SARS are they still not working? That’s the price you paid for being a Nigerian. Good luck

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 6:25am On Nov 02, 2021
Bros I agree with you that it has been on for long but we should not accept what is wrong as normal. I met a guy from Nairobi 3 years ago and the only memory he has about Lagos airport is how he was fraudulently obtained by the immigration officer. Very sad indeed. These things make being a Nigerian more difficult.

140 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by molybdenum0012: 7:02am On Nov 02, 2021
Following. Please share your experience. I will soon travel out and don’t want any airport official to extort me in any way. Please let know their antics ahead and how to curb it. This is not acceptable and something must be done to nip it in the bud. If we don’t do something about it, it will continue forever.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by my5andtom2: 8:34am On Nov 02, 2021
molybdenum0012:
Following. Please share your experience. I will soon travel out and don’t want any airport official to extort me in any way. Please let know their antics ahead and how to curb it. This is not acceptable and something must be done to nip it in the bud. If we don’t do something about it, it will continue forever.

If you have a virgin passport just hold like 15k or 20k in naira for settlement or else they will delay you and you might miss your flight without any form of compensation. Prevention is better than cure. My 2 cent

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by molybdenum0012: 8:42am On Nov 02, 2021
my5andtom2:

If you have a virgin passport just hold like 15k or 20k in naira for settlement or else they will delay you and you might miss your flight without any form of compensation. Prevention is better than cure. My 2 cent

Delay me on what ground, please? I am not carrying any kobo to bribe any official aside the one approved by the authority. If they try to delay me I will create scene with video evidence.

156 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by dubaiprince: 9:27am On Nov 02, 2021
my5andtom2:

For how long will they delay me? last year was my first time travelling out of Naija. I had all my documents available and my uncle in the UK said since it was my first time, I should not carry any food stuff. I got to the airport 4pm for an 11pm flight. British airways opened their counter around 5pm and from the gate, I just told those quarantine guys to leave me alone cos I don't have any foodstuff, they just let me be. So how immigration will delay me for 4hours is what I was waiting for. Na them go tire. I have noticed that they will ask, if you have give, if you don't just tell them you don't have, what are you going to use Naira for where you are travelling to in the first place and your foreign currency is on card.

131 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by CaptainStephen(m): 11:41am On Nov 02, 2021
Their begi begi dey tire person embarassed embarassed

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by NONNYG: 4:00pm On Nov 02, 2021
If you're a first timer, they will demand money as if it's their right, if you're a frequent traveler, they will beg you.

I had ugly experience on my first travel, after that one naira I no dey drop again.

If you're traveling for the first time, always go early & never pay anyone who approaches you all in the name of helping you to cross. It's better you go in there and face the theives

89 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:24pm On Nov 02, 2021
I beg to disagree with this. If you have a virgin passport, ensure all your documents are intact and get to the airport very early. Ensure you have done a thorough research about your destination, Be confident in your self and resist any intimidation the airport officials. Where an official is being irrational ask to see the manager
my5andtom2:

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:25pm On Nov 02, 2021
This is the spirit. We are too timid as a nation.
molybdenum0012:

Delay me on what ground, please? I am not carrying any kobo to bribe any official aside the one approved by the authority. If they try to delay me I will create scene with video evidence.

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:27pm On Nov 02, 2021
They usually prey on desperate and ignorant travellers. You would be shocked that some of these officials make their demands in dollars, so your excuse of not having naira does not get to them.
dubaiprince:

For how long will they delay me? last year was my first time travelling out of Naija. I had all my documents available and my uncle in the UK said since it was my first time, I should not carry any food stuff. I got to the airport 4pm for an 11pm flight. British airways opened their counter around 5pm and from the gate, I just told those quarantine guys to leave me alone cos I don't have any foodstuff, they just let me be. So how immigration will delay me for 4hours is what I was waiting for. Na them go tire. I have noticed that they will ask, if you have give, if you don't just tell them you don't have, what are you going to use Naira for where you are travelling to in the first place and your foreign currency is on card.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:29pm On Nov 02, 2021
And it is embarrassing to our nation. I have traveled to several countries and at no time have I been extorted
CaptainStephen:
Their begi begi dey tire person embarassed embarassed

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:32pm On Nov 02, 2021
The funny thing is that their begging distracts them from carrying out their core functions. Me I usually frown when going through the airport checks so e dey hard them to ask and those who do, I would politely tell them that I don't have any extra.
NONNYG:
If you're a first timer, they will demand money as if it's their right, if you're a frequent traveler, will beg you.

I had ugly experience on my first travel, after that one naira I no dey drop again.

If you're traveling for the first time, always go early & never pay anyone who approaches you all in the name of helping you to cross. It's better you go in there and face the theives

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by CaptainStephen(m): 7:09pm On Nov 02, 2021
sirrotex:
And it is embarrassing to our nation. I have traveled to several countries and at no time have I been extorted
Really embarrassing and the worse partnos these people are been paid properly.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by HRprof: 8:29pm On Nov 02, 2021
my5andtom2:

wrong information, i dont know were you got this from. just follow the procedure nobody will extort you, read instruction before getting to the airport if covid test is required do it, make sure you dont carry more than luggage required by the airline. giving out money is by choice, i travelled last month and i notice workers at the airport are just beggers i counted up to 5 person asking me ''anything for us?" i did not part any kobo till i board my flight. Nobody is forcing you to give.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 10:28pm On Nov 02, 2021
Very true, the number of "happy Friday" these days is alarming. From the airport security at the entrance up to the toilet cleaner and the immigration officer. It's sad.
HRprof:

wrong information, i dont know were you got this from. just follow the procedure nobody will extort you, read instruction before getting to the airport if covid test is required do it, make sure you dont carry more than luggage required by the airline. giving out money is by choice, i travelled last month and i notice workers at the airport are just beggers i counted up to 5 person asking me ''anything for us?" i did not part any kobo till i board my flight. Nobody is forcing you to give.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 10:28pm On Nov 02, 2021
They don't touch their salary
CaptainStephen:
Really embarrassing and the worse partnos these people are been paid properly.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Pidaa: 10:54am On Nov 03, 2021
mehn almost every body need to be sack in lagos International Airport. The moment I enter inside the Airport I was told I would be giving personal checking to delay me except I pay money. Now abeg dem recieve 1K. After that a woman came to meet me I should register my foodstuff with them. I later sneak and after that where I was going through clearance in Qatar airline I was told if I have passager locator form because that is a requirement to go to the UK and I show them in my phone. Them force me to go and photocopy it and I was charge 1k per copy. After the clearance I met the immigration guy to stamp my visa but he delay me because I pick a phone call in his presence which he later stamp. Now so to enter plane one stupid guy stop me and ask me for money that if I did not give him he would delay me. I just gave him all my naira because my flight would soon take off then just of a sudden to meet another set of people close to the plane door begging me money again. I just told them my naira is finish and I enter plane. when I landed at Qatar then I saw the difference between Nigeria and Qutar. mehn is not only Nigeria government that need to change their mentality but Nigeria citizens too

174 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by cocolacec(m): 12:42pm On Nov 03, 2021
my5andtom2:

It is like gathering money for bandits so they dont attack your community.
Why cant Nigerian travellers make a class action against Nigerian immigration service to pay compensation.?

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:11pm On Nov 03, 2021
Very sad experience. I feel they capitalised on the fact that your flight was about to depart. The moment you give one person money, the others would keep coming
Pidaa:
mehn almost every body need to be sack in lagos International Airport. The moment I enter inside the Airport I was told I would be giving personal checking to delay me except I pay money. Now abeg dem recieve 1K. After that a woman came to meet me I should register my foodstuff with them. I later sneak and after that where I was going through clearance in Qatar airline I was told if I have passager locator form because that is a requirement to go to the UK and I show them in my phone. Them force me to go and photocopy it and I was charge 1k per copy. After the clearance I met the immigration guy to stamp my visa but he delay me because I pick a phone call in his presence which he later stamp. Now so to enter plane one stupid guy stop me and ask me for money that if I did not give him he would delay me. I just gave him all my naira because my flight would soon take off then just of a sudden to meet another set of people close to the plane door begging me money again. I just told them my naira is finish and I enter plane. when I landed at Qatar then I saw the difference between Nigeria and Qutar. mehn is not only Nigeria government that need to change their mentality but Nigeria citizens too

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by allanphash7(m): 5:14pm On Nov 03, 2021
Minding one’s business is the key to life
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Beverages: 5:14pm On Nov 03, 2021
Its a serious menace by immigration officers which Is So rampant in Lagos and Abuja Airport

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by sirrotex: 5:14pm On Nov 03, 2021
Hahahaha. I like the class action part. You should note that it is not only immigration that is complicit in these activities but all the airport officials
cocolacec:

Why cant Nigerian travvellers make a class action against Nigerian immigration service to pay compensation.?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Obododa: 5:15pm On Nov 03, 2021
It's a serious menace

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by bigdammyj: 5:15pm On Nov 03, 2021
Too many

1 Like

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Bonnbib: 5:15pm On Nov 03, 2021
cocolacec:

Why cant Nigerian travvellers make a class action against Nigerian immigration service to pay compensation.?
Sensible comment

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by easynetsms(m): 5:15pm On Nov 03, 2021
My problem is that nothing will be done .. they do these things every day but yet nothing is being done.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by Dailymice: 5:15pm On Nov 03, 2021
sad
Re: Extortion By Airport Officials During International Travel by GIANTPLUSHUB: 5:16pm On Nov 03, 2021
Such a sad one to even think it looks normalized!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Deplorable State Of Calabar Itu Road!!! / Floods Cause Chaos In Abraham Adesanya After Heavy Rain (photos,video) / My Bad Experience With Iyare Motors From Benin-lagos Trip

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.