Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,107 members, 7,825,502 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:22 PM

Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy (17413 Views)

Meet Roxy.. My 3 Months Old Gsd / Roxy The Rottweiler / Roxy, My First Pet (GSD). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 5:55pm On Oct 12, 2019
vincentjk:

Then they should be fed one after the other like;

You feed Roxy first, he finishes his meal sharp Sharp then you put rex in the cage with her food then allow her eat it her way since she's a slow eater.

Your dogs look healthy, well done

Thanks
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 7:14am On Oct 21, 2019
vincentjk:

You feed Roxy first, he finishes his meal sharp Sharp then you put rex in the cage with her food then allow her eat it her way since she's a slow eater.

Alright, Thanks
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Warleyy(m): 10:45pm On Oct 21, 2019
Nice dogs.... �
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 2:03am On Oct 22, 2019
Warleyy:
Nice dogs.... �

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 5:09pm On Oct 31, 2019
vincentjk:

Alright,Thank
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 5:09pm On Oct 31, 2019
vincentjk:

Alright,Thanks
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 5:17pm On Oct 31, 2019
Hello pet lovers, I’ve not been around so I’ve not been able to really involve myself with Rex and Roxy

I got this picture yesterday and I can say their doing fine

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by vincentjk(m): 2:02am On Nov 01, 2019
Dreazy23:
Hello pet lovers, I’ve not been around so I’ve not been able to really involve myself with Rex and Roxy

I got this picture yesterday and I can say their doing fine

They are cool and growing nicely as well
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 9:50am On Nov 01, 2019
vincentjk:

They are cool and growing nicely as well

Yeah, their growth is impressive
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 11:29am On Nov 13, 2019
Roxy is Dead, she died early hours of this morning from food poisoning
We’ve been battling with her life since Thursday and can’t ascertain where she ate the poisoned food from.
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by amehrada: 2:05pm On Nov 13, 2019
Dreazy23:
We’ve been battling with her life since Thursday and can’t ascertain where she ate the food from.

So sorry for Roxy's death, it's not always an easy thing to control what our dogs eat off the ground. I sincerely hope you and Rex help each other get over this loss.
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 3:28pm On Nov 13, 2019
amehrada:
So sorry for Roxy's death, it's not always an easy thing to control what our dogs eat off the ground. I sincerely hope you and Rex help each other get over this loss.

Thanks, it hasn’t been easy but we will definitely get over it
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 9:32pm On Nov 13, 2019
Hello petlanders,
After much thinking and reflection, I realised that Roxy’s Death is all my fault.
Knowing she loved food, it never occurred to me that we needed to train them on food refusal.
So, right now I’m going to write down steps on how to train your dog on refusing food.

I do hope that this helps a dog lover someday and also opens our eyes to threats our dogs face.

The leave it command

Show your dog a treat in one hand.
Allow him/her to sniff it but firmly command him, “Leave It”
If your dog obeys and stops sniffing it, give him a treat using your other hand. If he shows lack of interest in the food, do the same. That way, he learns that he must learn to control himself.
If your dog tries to grab the food, repeat the command until he listens. If he does, give him some praise and other forms of rewards such as petting or stroking.
Repeat the process until your dog learns. When your dog has learned this initial technique, make the training more challenging.

You may place the food on the grassy part of your garden and then give your pet a moment to sniff the treat. Immediately, put a cover on the treat and tell him, “Leave It”
If he obeys and becomes disinterested with the food on the grass, reward him with a treat using your other hand. If he doesn’t obey, restrain him by putting him on the leash so he gets distracted from the food.
The next time around, toss a treat on the same grassy area and let him sniff it. This time, don’t cover the food but instantly instruct him, “Leave It” If he follows you, come to him and give him a reward.
If he doesn’t follow, repeat the initial step of showing him the food in your hand. Let him learn to obey and reward a good behaviour. Then move on again to the challenging step.

After your dog has learned to obey your “Leave It” command, you may ask help from your neighbours or friends who are willing to help you train your dog. Ask the stranger to toss a chunk of fresh meat or hot dogs in your presence. Give the “Leave It” command before your dog goes to sniff it. Keep doing this with the same neighbour or other strangers until your dog learns not to eat from strangers.

Move on to the next step. This time, let him learn that you’re always on the lookout. How? Let the same person do the tossing of food stuff a few times and every time that happens, be quick to command your pet to “Leave It!”until your dog learns not to eat from strangers. Before your dog can make a move, blurt the command and repeat the process. This way you’re teaching your dog that you’re always watching and he realizes he must always follow. Don’t forget to give rewards that he likes.

Tip #6: Have a Designated Place for Food

Another way to train your pet to refuse food from strangers is by designating a place for his regular chow. You decide a particular place or corner and a bowl for his dog food. Your training should teach him to eat from that same bowl and same spot all the time. Start by placing a treat on an area near his bowl and before he sniffs it, say “Leave It”or “No!” Reward him if he follows. If he doesn’t, stop the training and place some treats in his bowl and let him eat. Then repeat the process of placing food near the bowl and prevent him from sniffing or getting near until he gets the idea.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by vincentjk(m): 5:20am On Nov 14, 2019
Sorry for your loss bro. It's well
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 7:11am On Nov 14, 2019
Dreazy23:
We’ve been battling with her life since Thursday and can’t ascertain where she ate the poisoned food from.

omg did someone poison her?
how did that happen?
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Ozonexy(m): 8:31am On Nov 14, 2019
Sorry for your loss...
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 11:37am On Nov 14, 2019
IamAnderson:

omg did someone poison her?
how did that happen?

We don’t know where she ate the poison from, we noticed she hasn’t been eating (unlike her). We called the vet and he came, he kept giving her drip but her tummy was swollen on Sunday (her intestines) she pooped blood and died on Tuesday morning
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 11:38am On Nov 14, 2019
vincentjk:
Sorry for your loss bro. It's well
Thanks
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 11:38am On Nov 14, 2019
Ozonexy:
Sorry for your loss...

Thanks
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 2:35pm On Nov 14, 2019
Dreazy23:

We don’t know where she ate the poison from, we noticed she hasn’t been eating (unlike her). We called the vet and he came, he kept giving her drip but her tummy was swollen on Sunday (her intestines) she pooped blood and died on Tuesday morning
did you deworm her?
that's a symptom of serious worm I infestation
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 5:21pm On Nov 14, 2019
IamAnderson:

did you deworm her?
that's a symptom of serious worm I infestation

Yeah, it was done monthly.
They were both due on the 5th
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by IamAnderson(m): 6:45am On Nov 15, 2019
Dreazy23:

Yeah, it was done monthly.
They were both due on the 5th
are you sure the dosage was correct?
I think you should talk with a vet to find out why she died in case it's something you need to avoid with Rex pls
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 11:20am On Nov 15, 2019
IamAnderson:

are you sure the dosage was correct?
I think you should talk with a vet to find out why she died in case it's something you need to avoid with Rex pls

Alright, I will talk to another vet to ascertain
As for the dosage, I don’t really know
(My vet gives injections for deworming)

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Spanishmilf(m): 7:48pm On Nov 15, 2019
Dreazy23:
Hello petlanders,
After much thinking and reflection, I realised that Roxy’s Death is all my fault.
Knowing she loved food, it never occurred to me that we needed to train them on food refusal.
So, right now I’m going to write down steps on how to train your dog on refusing food.

I do hope that this helps a dog lover someday and also opens our eyes to threats our dogs face.

The leave it command

If your dog obeys and stops sniffing it, give him a treat using your other hand. If he shows lack of interest in the food, do the same. That way, he learns that he must learn to control himself.
If your dog tries to grab the food, repeat the command until he listens. If he does, give him some praise and other forms of rewards such as petting or stroking.
Repeat the process until your dog learns. When your dog has learned this initial technique, make the training more challenging.

You may place the food on the grassy part of your garden and then give your pet a moment to sniff the treat. Immediately, put a cover on the treat and tell him, “Leave It”
If he obeys and becomes disinterested with the food on the grass, reward him with a treat using your other hand. If he doesn’t obey, restrain him by putting him on the leash so he gets distracted from the food.
The next time around, toss a treat on the same grassy area and let him sniff it. This time, don’t cover the food but instantly instruct him, “Leave It” If he follows you, come to him and give him a reward.
If he doesn’t follow, repeat the initial step of showing him the food in your hand. Let him learn to obey and reward a good behaviour. Then move on again to the challenging step.

After your dog has learned to obey your “Leave It” command, you may ask help from your neighbours or friends who are willing to help you train your dog. Ask the stranger to toss a chunk of fresh meat or hot dogs in your presence. Give the “Leave It” command before your dog goes to sniff it. Keep doing this with the same neighbour or other strangers until your dog learns not to eat from strangers.

Move on to the next step. This time, let him learn that you’re always on the lookout. How? Let the same person do the tossing of food stuff a few times and every time that happens, be quick to command your pet to “Leave It!”until your dog learns not to eat from strangers. Before your dog can make a move, blurt the command and repeat the process. This way you’re teaching your dog that you’re always watching and he realizes he must always follow. Don’t forget to give rewards that he likes.

Another way to train your pet to refuse food from strangers is by designating a place for his regular chow. You decide a particular place or corner and a bowl for his dog food. Your training should teach him to eat from that same bowl and same spot all the time. Start by placing a treat on an area near his bowl and before he sniffs it, say “Leave It”or “No!” Reward him if he follows. If he doesn’t, stop the training and place some treats in his bowl and let him eat. Then repeat the process of placing food near the bowl and prevent him from sniffing or getting near until he gets the idea.
Have own about 5-6dogs in my life never thought them food refusal. If a stranger give dem food my dog won't eat it, if I don't use my hand give dem food my dog no dey chop they only eat what me or my family serve dem, there was a day my friend gave my gsd a treat (fried turkey laps) my dog no chop am he just sniff am comot not until I used my hand give him...
Everything is training and eye service my dogs understand eye service they know when am angry and when I want to beat them.... You need to train dem with small beating sometimes

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by okikiosibodu(m): 12:49pm On Nov 30, 2019
Dreazy23:

Hardluck. Really can't phantom how cruel people could bento poison dogs.. Its owner offended you, why take it out on the dog? You want to steal from a house, why kill the dog first? It's highly disheartening. People capable of poisoning a dog can definitely kill an human. Hard luck

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by okikiosibodu(m): 1:03pm On Nov 30, 2019
Dreazy23:
Hello petlanders,

The leave it command

Growing up as a child, I used to have a neighbour that owned a rottie. Just a fence separated our buildings. A storey building in my house had a stairs really close to the fence, so as children, my friends and I loved throwing biscuit into the next compound for the dog to eat (we would starve ourselves Nd use our lunch money to buy biscuit for the dog and we derived satisfaction feeding a dog that would probably shred us into pieces if withing range. Wierd right? We never cared)
The dog would leap into the air to eat biscuits thrown at it, and it was fun watching it run in opposite directions as we threw the biscuit in quick successions. The dog never ate anythng from the ground (the ones it missed and fell to the ground)
So your training method is really an efficient one. Kudos to you

1 Like

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 11:11pm On Nov 30, 2019
okikiosibodu:

Growing up as a child, I used to have a neighbour that owned a rottie. Just a fence separated our buildings. A storey building in my house had a stairs really close to the fence, so as children, my friends and I loved throwing biscuit into the next compound for the dog to eat (we would starve ourselves Nd use our lunch money to buy biscuit for the dog and we derived satisfaction feeding a dog that would probably shred us into pieces if withing range. Wierd right? We never cared)
The dog would leap into the air to eat biscuits thrown at it, and it was fun watching it run in opposite directions as we threw the biscuit in quick successions. The dog never ate anythng from the ground (the ones it missed and fell to the ground)
So your training method is really an efficient one. Kudos to you

Thanks, Roxy loved food so much that she didn’t really care where it came from and if I had applied this training earlier it would have helped. Rex on the other hand is really picky but he’s still undergoing this training just to be careful.

2 Likes

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 11:14pm On Nov 30, 2019
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 10:00pm On Dec 07, 2019
I got back home today and found out pictures haven’t been doing justice to Rex’s size, HE’S HUGE and he’s only 6 months.

I will be posting his pictures tomorrow(I wasn’t able to snap today cause he was excited to see me and he was all over the place)
Hopefully I will be able to capture his size well enough tomorrow.
Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 10:00am On Dec 11, 2019
He’s 6 months and 3 weeks and very much active. He’s coat is beginning to Change from pure white to black though

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 10:02am On Dec 11, 2019
More

Re: Chronicle Of Rex And Roxy by Dreazy23(m): 10:10am On Dec 11, 2019
Fur

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Caucasian Dog In Nigeria / Meet Zoey My Sable Female GSD / Do Dogs Also Suffer Emotional Trauma?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.