Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,294 members, 7,811,883 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:12 PM

New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today (53655 Views)

New Ways To Block Loan Apps From Accessing Your Contact / How I Escaped Being Duped In Ibadan Today / Lists Of Scammers On Telegram (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by otunbadan(m): 12:23pm On Oct 11, 2019
Lol... Na so one girl told my friend that she should bring 45k and she put her brother in the army as an officer.

Bozzyironlady:
It's a long read with lots of grammatical errors, please bear with me.

8:30am, a number called my business line saying his name was Mr Wale that he knows me and wants to introduce me to a church member who wants to make an inquiry about make up, and he asks if I was something something touch that he couldn't remember the name again, truly my company's name has touch on it. So he asked if I had a pen and paper to take down the woman's number that I should call her immediately, then get back to him.

So I called the said woman, she was all prayerful thanking me, praising me and I was awed.

She said the company where she works are in need of a makeup artist, that they are celebrating their 25th anniversary and they want to do a beauty pageant.

the woman who was doing it for them before is sick and she's indisposed at the moment, so Mr Wale recommended me and the way he spoke of me she knew I'll be very good with the job

She also wants me and her to do a back door deal, that I should tell the boss of the company that each contestants makeup will cost nothing less than 50k each and when the boss agrees to it that we'll both share it 70% to me and 30% to her, so I agreed.

She told me to send the complete name of my company and it's address that she's drafting a letter to send to her boss and she'll call me back in a minute.

She called five minutes later, saying her boss has agreed to meet me, that I should dressed cooperate and classy and should wait for his call to schedule a meeting.

Now the scam part.
She said there was a deal she and the other woman(the sick woman that does their makeup before) usually do, that there's a cleaning agent they use for the walkway, so as the contestants not to fall on stage and when the boss ask of this product I should tell him the price is 140k the change on it, we'll both share it and she's going to send the number of the supplier to me so as to discuss more on it.

I called the number his name was pastor peter, he said the product per gallon is 100k and that was the final price, so I thought to myself since there's 40k on top, then the price is fair.

I called Mrs bola to inform her of my discussion with the supplier, she said its a fair price too and that i should await the call of her boss.

Five minutes went to twenty minutes to almost an hour no call from her boss, so I called her to let her know I've not seen her bosses call, she told me to hold on that she'll call him now maybe he's in a meeting. A minute later he called, we talked about the things that will be needed for the contestants to make them glow and more beautiful on that day, to my surprise he agreed on the price.

The first red flag.
He brought up the issue of the cleaning agent and to be sincere I wasn't really interested in that aspect of the job but since she wanted me to do it, I had to oblige her.

He said my sister(mrs bola) talked about the cleaning agent and she's giving him the guarantee that I was supplying the best and it's made in Germany, that when I'm coming to his office I should bring a sample that he will like to see it for him self.

I called Mrs bola, told her everything we discussed. she advised I call the supplier and I should try to work a deal with him. I called the supplier to please give me a sample that I promise we'll be buying 30 gallons of it, he said he can't that Nigerians are not to be trusted, I told him I understand that he should please work out something for me. He said i should call him in the next five minutes that he wants talk to his boss.

I called him five minutes later, he said his boss has agreed in the condition that I deposit half the money, if my client doesn't like it my money will still be refunded to me. I called Mrs bola, informed her about the discussion the supplier and I had, she said I was smart and that I was going to go places with my level of intelligence and in fact the job is mine, I was so happy and fulfilled.

I called the supplier and we agreed to meet at palmgroove junction and I was going to pay him 50k.
On my way to palmgroove, I boarded a bus. The bus wasn't filled up so I sat and waited, Mrs bola called few minutes later to know how far with things I told her I was already on my way in fact I am in the bus as I'm talking to her, she said I should let her know immediately I'm with the product.

Few minutes, the bus moved I felt a cold wind blew me and I realized my self and started thinking about the whole thing. I alighted from the bus with the excuse that I forgot something at home.

47minutes later Mrs bola kept calling me, asking how far I told her I was there, that I've not seen the supplier.

She called and called and called, but I kept telling them I was there and I didn't not see them.
Maybe they realized I knew they were scammers, but they've stopped calling me, not after I made sure I wasted their own time and airtime.

SO NIGERIAN BEAUTY ARTIST, PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND BEWARE OF SCAMMERS.
IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, ITS A SCAM.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by complexBoss12: 12:23pm On Oct 11, 2019
That's the way of scammers, dey get ur interest wit something, which is d bigger picture, then create a minor diversion, where they milk you dry. making you think the bigger business is still waiting!

3 Likes

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by 9jatriot(m): 12:23pm On Oct 11, 2019
Although this is true, I can't count the number and volume of transaction I have done in the last 10 years with people I have never seen and yet no issues, in short the people who have successfully dumped me were those I met one on one, some at their business location some at home but still when time for payment comes you will hear stories and the funniest thing they will not run from their location but not much you can really do.

ifyalways:
Never conduct first time transaction on phone, without one on one meeting in YOUR place or YOUR comfort zone unless the person comes from a verified and trusted reference.

2 Likes

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by WildChild00(m): 12:24pm On Oct 11, 2019
teawhy04:

This one own na data scammer, everyday, he go register new handle grin

5 Likes

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Aliencraft(m): 12:25pm On Oct 11, 2019
Bozzyironlady:

8:30am, a number called my business line saying his name was Mr Wale that he knows me and wants to introduce me to a church member who wants to make an inquiry about make up, and he asks if I was something something touch that he couldn't remember the name again, truly my company's name has touch on it. So he asked if I had a pen and paper to take down the woman's number that I should call her immediately, then get back to him.

So I called the said woman, she was all prayerful thanking me, praising me and I was awed.

She said the company where she works are in need of a makeup artist, that they are celebrating their 25th anniversary and they want to do a beauty pageant.

the woman who was doing it for them before is sick and she's indisposed at the moment, so Mr Wale recommended me and the way he spoke of me she knew I'll be very good with the job

She also wants me and her to do a back door deal, that I should tell the boss of the company that each contestants makeup will cost nothing less than 50k each and when the boss agrees to it that we'll both share it 70% to me and 30% to her, so I agreed.

She told me to send the complete name of my company and it's address that she's drafting a letter to send to her boss and she'll call me back in a minute.

She called five minutes later, saying her boss has agreed to meet me, that I should dressed cooperate and classy and should wait for his call to schedule a meeting.

Now the scam part.
She said there was a deal she and the other woman(the sick woman that does their makeup before) usually do, that there's a cleaning agent they use for the walkway, so as the contestants not to fall on stage and when the boss ask of this product I should tell him the price is 140k the change on it, we'll both share it and she's going to send the number of the supplier to me so as to discuss more on it.

I called the number his name was pastor peter, he said the product per gallon is 100k and that was the final price, so I thought to myself since there's 40k on top, then the price is fair.

I called Mrs bola to inform her of my discussion with the supplier, she said its a fair price too and that i should await the call of her boss.

Five minutes went to twenty minutes to almost an hour no call from her boss, so I called her to let her know I've not seen her bosses call, she told me to hold on that she'll call him now maybe he's in a meeting. A minute later he called, we talked about the things that will be needed for the contestants to make them glow and more beautiful on that day, to my surprise he agreed on the price.

The first red flag.
He brought up the issue of the cleaning agent and to be sincere I wasn't really interested in that aspect of the job but since she wanted me to do it, I had to oblige her.

He said my sister(mrs bola) talked about the cleaning agent and she's giving him the guarantee that I was supplying the best and it's made in Germany, that when I'm coming to his office I should bring a sample that he will like to see it for him self.

I called Mrs bola, told her everything we discussed. she advised I call the supplier and I should try to work a deal with him. I called the supplier to please give me a sample that I promise we'll be buying 30 gallons of it, he said he can't that Nigerians are not to be trusted, I told him I understand that he should please work out something for me. He said i should call him in the next five minutes that he wants talk to his boss.

I called him five minutes later, he said his boss has agreed in the condition that I deposit half the money, if my client doesn't like it my money will still be refunded to me. I called Mrs bola, informed her about the discussion the supplier and I had, she said I was smart and that I was going to go places with my level of intelligence and in fact the job is mine, I was so happy and fulfilled.

I called the supplier and we agreed to meet at palmgroove junction and I was going to pay him 50k.
On my way to palmgroove, I boarded a bus. The bus wasn't filled up so I sat and waited, Mrs bola called few minutes later to know how far with things I told her I was already on my way in fact I am in the bus as I'm talking to her, she said I should let her know immediately I'm with the product.

Few minutes, the bus moved I felt a cold wind blew me and I realized my self and started thinking about the whole thing. I alighted from the bus with the excuse that I forgot something at home.

47minutes later Mrs bola kept calling me, asking how far I told her I was there, that I've not seen the supplier.

She called and called and called, but I kept telling them I was there and I didn't not see them.
Maybe they realized I knew they were scammers, but they've stopped calling me, not after I made sure I wasted their own time and airtime.

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Chanchit: 12:25pm On Oct 11, 2019
Bozzyironlady:

I didn't know, I thought I was working with people who genuinely likes my work.

You really try. They used something like this to scam my friend of 114k. I told him it's a scam, he no believe, he was thinking I'm an enemy of progress until him eye clear.

9 Likes

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by faithfull18(f): 12:26pm On Oct 11, 2019
Joyless Nigerians. That was how I mistakenly transferred airtime to a wrong number.

After much pleading, she transferred back 5k, my remaining 5k was transferred out to another number.

A lot of things is just wrong here.

God help Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Juliearth(f): 12:26pm On Oct 11, 2019
Thank God you outsmarted them. Its an old trick though.
Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Mires: 12:26pm On Oct 11, 2019
teawhy04:

Another lazy scammer spotted.
Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by draggie(f): 12:27pm On Oct 11, 2019
Duggedised12:
Op before you call those people scammers you need to look at yourself in the mirror and ask what type of person agrees to such shady deals in the first place.

You are greedy and you just proved that under the right circumstance you are willing to short change your customers for more profit.If i had a business to do, you will be my last option.You were even willing to dabble into an area you have no business in just because of ojukokoro. you are a dishonest greedy fellow.

Exactly my thoughts, that's an average Nigerian for you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by UniversalDove: 12:27pm On Oct 11, 2019
We learn everyday
Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by 01mcfadden(m): 12:28pm On Oct 11, 2019
I got this same scam tactics from someone.
But they didn't use make up, the idiots used equipments for MTN mask

1 Like

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by clusay(m): 12:29pm On Oct 11, 2019
Bozzyironlady:

Now the scam part.

The first red flag.

One called me yesterday dat his name is engr adejo from kogi . works wif manbilla power plant and called my name. He is shop and bla bla blabla.dat he wrote a quotation for his boss and d stuff will only be gotten at dangote cement. Never knew dangote cement nw have a shop were dey sell electrical stuff. Lolzzzz. Dat d boss will come to kogi and dey will lodge.after d deal I will have 30%. I just blank say I don't av time for nonsense Las Las. Man must dey careful
That his company

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 11, 2019
You lucky. Some people job is to sit and formulate ways to steal from people. When caught dem go blame satan
Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by mblarry1(m): 12:29pm On Oct 11, 2019
Bozzyironlady:

Now the scam part.

The first red flag.

Lol... serious mata

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by proff010: 12:30pm On Oct 11, 2019
Duggedised12:
Op before you call those people scammers you need to look at yourself in the mirror and ask what type of person agrees to such shady deals in the first place.

You are greedy and you just proved that under the right circumstance you are willing to short change your customers for more profit.If i had a business to do, you will be my last option.You were even willing to dabble into an area you have no business in just because of ojukokoro. you are a dishonest greedy fellow.

best comment so far. Love it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Bimpe29: 12:30pm On Oct 11, 2019
People are devising subtle means of robbery.
Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Duggedised12(f): 12:30pm On Oct 11, 2019
draggie:

Exactly my thoughts, that's an average Nigerian for you.
As eh, this op is a crook, if the deal had fall through, thats how you will be seeing "oluwa is involved" everywhere ,yeye dey smell. People like the OP are nothing but dormant criminals who are just waiting for the right opportunity to "collect their own share". Nonsense!

11 Likes

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 11, 2019
RhemaDavids:
See the long Process someone imagined just to scam 50k, if he puts this idea in something else I believe he would be very successful

Some scammers need only 1k , no amount get minimum. The worst is all these fixed games people. They are all bastards, their family

2 Likes

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by goxydareal(m): 12:31pm On Oct 11, 2019
Kelvin30286063:
But... What if it's real?
Or am I falling for the scam too?

If it is real, then madam Bola should pay the 50k. Shebi she is the one that generated all the referrals....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Smalliegirl: 12:32pm On Oct 11, 2019
This is how people out of greed fal into scam..

She was all prayerful bla bla but wanted to do a back door abi doggy style deal with you..that to me is a red alert.

Nigerians are too greedy and all about money money money...regardless how the money is made, just lets make money, give me money...more money..

Always stand for integrity in whatever spheres of life you find yourself..

Thank God for the "cold breeze" cheesy

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Rooy57(m): 12:32pm On Oct 11, 2019
Duggedised12:

You are very much on point.... The OP is not a very trustworthy person to do business with. Someone that agree to scam his potential clients. Tueh!

4 Likes

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by hisgrace090: 12:36pm On Oct 11, 2019
StrikeBack:
Too much SCAM in NIGERIA especially in Lagos

We produce scam here!

1 Like

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by ziegurf(m): 12:37pm On Oct 11, 2019
...that's how they called me sometime ago for one state government contract in same port Harcourt,
already I sabi their tricks.....immediately I told him to send the phone number and the name of the person that recommended me to him, behold the son of man ran away

Please always remember to ask them to give you the phone number and the name of man that recommended you to them

That's the simple anti scamming dosage... Ok?

5 Likes

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by kitombo: 12:37pm On Oct 11, 2019
Bozzyironlady:

Now the scam part.

The first red flag.

Old format! This was tried on me 25 years ago!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Juliearth(f): 12:38pm On Oct 11, 2019
ladilawal82:
You went too far with them... should have cut them off since.

I don't blame her for buying into their story since she is an entrepreneur with social media handles ( possibly)

1 Like

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by veeluv2015(f): 12:39pm On Oct 11, 2019
You were greedy at some point. You already had a 'good deal'. You should have told them you don't supply chemicals, u only do make up and they would have left you alone.

But no, u wanted that extra that came with supplying chemicals u knew nothing about.

Thank God u came back to your senses.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by CutieMya(f): 12:42pm On Oct 11, 2019
I Thank God for you life...Scammers everywhere
Bozzyironlady:

Now the scam part.

The first red flag.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by mechanics(m): 12:42pm On Oct 11, 2019
You were truly intelligent has she said.
Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by Nobody: 12:43pm On Oct 11, 2019
"She also wants me and her to do a back door deal, that I should tell the boss of the company that each contestants makeup will cost nothing less than 50k each and when the boss agrees to it that we'll both share it 70% to me and 30% to her, so I agreed."

This was the first red flag to me. And at that point, I would have dismissed those idiots there and then. But you op, did not realise this early because you were also greedy. Your eyes only cleared when it dawned on you while in the bus that you were about paying 50k from your own purse to some strangers on a deal not related to your business.

They almost got you!

2 Likes

Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by omenka(m): 12:46pm On Oct 11, 2019
Front page worthy non-political news on the front page after a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooog time!! smiley
Re: New Ways of Scammers and How I Was Almost Duped In Ikorodu Today by obembet(f): 12:46pm On Oct 11, 2019
Thanks for the info

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

20 Year-old Onitsha House Maid Hacked To Death For Refusing Sex With Boss’s Son / Queency Benna Accuses Alaska Obi Of Rape / Alhaji Afeez Imoleayo Charmed US-Based Friend, Took Over His Wife, Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.