Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:53 PM

Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks (34901 Views)

Help I'm Addicted To Carbonated Drinks. / The Doctors Want To Amputate My Mum's Leg. Advice Needed / Why You Should Stop Taking "Agbo" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by shawnfamous(m): 1:13pm On Oct 24, 2019
mblarry1:

D country too hard broda.... i tell u
real matters bro
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by nappy760(m): 2:23pm On Oct 24, 2019
I see some people saying that they take drinks a lot and it hasn't had any negative effect.....it has a cumulative effect and it is all a matter of time.

2 Likes

Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by tayo60(f): 2:24pm On Oct 24, 2019
LadyExcellency:

I have taken carbonated drink in excess for more than thirty years but still as young as sixteen, no sickness, intelligent and resourceful.

Some are immunes to many sicknesses and frailty
Hello my grandma!
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by SkengRay: 2:39pm On Oct 24, 2019
Dizzyrascal:
pls explain, because I hope it's not what am thinking about ooo
What are you thinking lol
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by Nobody: 3:12pm On Oct 24, 2019
midnighter:

Yes! They should take fruits. Just 2 or 3 whole fruits!

Not juices packed with the sugar of 25 oranges and bananas!

All those packaged juices are not even that good health wise. They have coloring and processed sugar as well as preservatives to keep them from getting bad.

Natural fruits all the way.
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by Nobody: 3:14pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mindfulness:

I am not comparing the two. I am pointing out that juice must be enjoyed in moderation too. Drinking it all day long is unhealthy.
Whatever!
An adult should know that drinking lots of water is best.

Too much of everything is obviously not good and I do get your point.

But for someone suffering from cancer, taking just fruits and vegetables all day long for a full year might just be what they need.
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by Slimsly100(f): 3:51pm On Oct 24, 2019
Mother in law come and see your twin o. Mei don talk I don taya

1 Like

Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by AmazonGhost: 4:47pm On Oct 24, 2019
Sunofgod:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<body>
<h1>Also juices....if money dey!</h1>
</body>
</html>

Orange, pineapple, mango, watermelon.udala!
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by saajus: 6:23pm On Oct 24, 2019
My brother, the problem itself is not natural juice but what you are juicing. Remember juicing is different from blending that produces smoothie. If I show you my own green juice, it doesn't look appealing on a commercial value but I know the content of everything I blend. I can still juice and get a very low sugar content. Juicing is still one of the best ways to acquire the required vitamins into your body. If it is about thirst-quenching, water is the best but we are analyzing an issue of addiction here. For a sugar addict, you can't just take everything away.

midnighter:

We are not talking about natural and artificial sugar. We are talking about sugar content.

Juice is sugary. There is a difference between cutting up 2 oranges into pieces and eating and blending plenty of oranges into juice.

One orange just produces just 4 spoons of juice. So how many oranges will it take just to make one bottle? You will be drinking liquid sugar and your case will be a sad one. Drinking the equivalent of 10 or 12 oranges every day, on top of your usual akpu and soup, is a total disaster!

Doctors (and dentists) have been running helter skelter trying to get people to stop taking "smoothies" thinking that they are healthy when in fact they are the worst culprits for high blood sugar. And when you blend fruits you destroy the natural roughage that helps your body to process the excess sugar gradually. Total system overload.

What you're saying can only make sense if the lady agrees just to take one or two glasses of "juice" a day. Does it look like she is going to do that
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by midnighter(f): 6:57pm On Oct 24, 2019
saajus:
My brother, the problem itself is not natural juice but what you are juicing. Remember juicing is different from blending that produces smoothie. If I show you my own green juice, it doesn't look appealing on a commercial value but I know the content of everything I blend. I can still juice and get a very low sugar content. Juicing is still one of the best ways to acquire the required vitamins into your body. If it is about thirst-quenching, water is the best but we are analyzing an issue of addiction here. For a sugar addict, you can't just take everything away.

1. Juicing is even worse than blending! At least with blending you will still have some of the pulp from the fruit but juicing just takes the fibre away. And you will lose some of the nutrients like antioxidants etc. The only benefit of juicing is that the nutrients are more concentrated. But so is the sugar! Even more sugar than some soft drinks

2. If you read my original comment, you will see that I advocated for whole fruits. So I didnt take the sugar away, I just recommended it in a different form

3. Okay tell me what exactly you put in that juice, let me see. Because i doubt you can drink more than 1 bottle of it in a day without causing problems for yourself. One bottle will not be acceptable to this woman
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by saajus: 9:09pm On Oct 24, 2019
I used a lot of low sugar fruits like avocado, lime, some veggies, etc. Remember, those are natural sugars that can easily breakdown. Google can help list the sugar content of fruits/food/veggies. You know the problem, many big companies sponsor researches with propaganda mindsets. The people behind these fruits and smoothies propaganda research are your soda companies. People should not just condemn things outrightly without explaining in detail to people.

I have a friend who eats pizza with bottled water. If you ask him why he'll tell you he's watching his weight. Not because he's afraid of sugar. I will tell him, why not kuku finish the killing. You just ate 3000 Calories in one sitting and you are afraid of 220cal soda can. That's d danger of people not really understanding why. Maybe he watched a show and someone just condemns soda outrightly without explanation. Imagine if the only thing I eat daily is 1 bottle of coke and 2 slices of bread. Yes I drink soda daily but I may not get diabetes because I have not exceeded the daily recommended intake. I may be malnourished though. Even pizza itself is not bad. It is one of the most complete food in the world. If you eat a box, just know you have exceeded your daily calorie intake and stop eating for that day.

Juicing is not a crime, Smoothie is not a crime, So far you understand what you are mixing and stay within the range of recommended daily intake. You outrightly said juicing is worst than blending whereas both of them are used in different scenarios. Fiber is good but must it be taken all the time. A fat person must understand he needs more juicing than blending and get more fiber from his other calories intake.

A guy in this comment session said his Grandma takes soda everyday and she has no diabetes. She's over 90 years old now. Some people will see that as a motivation to continue taking soda but the guy did not tell us his Grandma's whole eating habits and lifestyle. Maybe she doesn't take anything sugar again after the daily soda. Maybe Mama always exercises, he didn't tell us. Some people will hear his first statement and run with it.

Health is very important and simple books and googling could expose a lot of information to us.

midnighter:

1. Juicing is even worse than blending! At least with blending you will still have some of the pulp from the fruit but juicing just takes the fibre away. And you will lose some of the nutrients like antioxidants etc. The only benefit of juicing is that the nutrients are more concentrated. But so is the sugar! Even more sugar than some soft drinks

2. If you read my original comment, you will see that I advocated for whole fruits. So I didnt take the sugar away, I just recommended it in a different form

3. Okay tell me what exactly you put in that juice, let me see. Because i doubt you can drink more than 1 bottle of it in a day without causing problems for yourself. One bottle will not be acceptable to this woman
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by midnighter(f): 5:50pm On Oct 25, 2019
saajus:
I used a lot of low sugar fruits like avocado, lime, some veggies, etc. Remember, those are natural sugars that can easily breakdown. Google can help list the sugar content of fruits/food/veggies. You know the problem, many big companies sponsor researches with propaganda mindsets. The people behind these fruits and smoothies propaganda research are your soda companies. People should not just condemn things outrightly without explaining in detail to people.

I have a friend who eats pizza with bottled water. If you ask him why he'll tell you he's watching his weight. Not because he's afraid of sugar. I will tell him, why not kuku finish the killing. You just ate 3000 Calories in one sitting and you are afraid of 220cal soda can. That's d danger of people not really understanding why. Maybe he watched a show and someone just condemns soda outrightly without explanation. Imagine if the only thing I eat daily is 1 bottle of coke and 2 slices of bread. Yes I drink soda daily but I may not get diabetes because I have not exceeded the daily recommended intake. I may be malnourished though. Even pizza itself is not bad. It is one of the most complete food in the world. If you eat a box, just know you have exceeded your daily calorie intake and stop eating for that day.

Juicing is not a crime, Smoothie is not a crime, So far you understand what you are mixing and stay within the range of recommended daily intake. You outrightly said juicing is worst than blending whereas both of them are used in different scenarios. Fiber is good but must it be taken all the time. A fat person must understand he needs more juicing than blending and get more fiber from his other calories intake.

A guy in this comment session said his Grandma takes soda everyday and she has no diabetes. She's over 90 years old now. Some people will see that as a motivation to continue taking soda but the guy did not tell us his Grandma's whole eating habits and lifestyle. Maybe she doesn't take anything sugar again after the daily soda. Maybe Mama always exercises, he didn't tell us. Some people will hear his first statement and run with it.

Health is very important and simple books and googling could expose a lot of information to us.

I mean I want to know how much of each fruit you put into the juice otherwise its just the same as a sugary smoothie. I already explained this so I don't understand why you are repeating the same thing

I don't understand what high sugar content that you can read at the back of the juice carton and see for yourself has to do with propaganda

Your friend is unhealthy but that doesn't mean that soda is healthy. If somebody takes pizza with water it's still better than if he takes it with soda. That means the health campaigns warning about taking too much sugary drinks are working.

I don't understand what this story has to do with the topic at hand since the OPs mum drinks plenty of soft drinks every day. You are just talking around the subject without getting to the point. If you eat a normal diet but drink 10 bottles of coke a day, is it good?

At the bolded, I already said that this is about daily sugar intake and you argued that it depends on the type of juice. Now you're saying it depends on daily sugar intake which I said already

A fat person should do more of blending than juicing so that he will fill his stomach with fibre and not be tempted to take snacks.

The guys grandma takes soft drinks all the time and it's still bad for her whether anybody sees it or not. Exercise has nothing to do with filling your body with chemicals
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by saajus: 6:37pm On Oct 25, 2019
My final submission:
Check my write up again. The guy is not running away from soda because of chemicals, he's running away cos of calories in which it doesn't make sense in that scenario where he just munched 3k calories pizza. That was a result of half-backed information that we are used to in Nigeria.

Filling your stomach is more of psychology, that's why gastric bypass irritation by vomiting makes food addicts stop. The vomits is sending a new message to their minds about the stomach filling. If you are used to eating a lot, your mind will tell you to eat even if you are not hungry. Filling your stomach with all the fibers in this world MAY or MAY NOT totally stop bad eating habits.

This discussion is basically Sugar content cos if it is not you won't outrightly says "juicing is sugary" and forgot all the great vitamins & minerals that juicing/blending makes more potent. So, the guy that refers to her Grandma said diabetes. His Grandma may be suffering from other diseases caused by any other content in the soda.

This is my first post you replied to and I still stand with it:
"Two ways to help her;
}
1. Thoroughly enlighten her more about the dangers of diabetes. Diabetes could lead to amputation. Try to go check her blood sugar.
2. Find her alternatives: Juicing is a good alternative. If you can afford a juicer, buy one for her. Always fill your fridge with fruits like Carrot, Pineapple, banana, watermelon, apple, oranges, lime, etc. Juice them and keep in the fridge. Remember, natural juice cannot last more than 2/3 days. It's the dangerous additives in your carbonated drinks that make them last for years. Don't forget to check the gram of sugar in fruits you want to blend."
}

You outrightly said "juicing is sugary". That is a wrong assumption. I still very stand on my conclusion, check the gram of sugar n any fruits you want to juice. There are nice juicers like "Champion" or "Greenstar". What you juice or blend will determine if juice is sugary or not. You can juice at home and still live below or around the daily recommended sugar intake.

midnighter:

I mean I want to know how much of each fruit you put into the juice otherwise its just the same as a sugary smoothie. I already explained this so I don't understand why you are repeating the same thing

I don't understand what high sugar content that you can read at the back of the juice carton and see for yourself has to do with propaganda

Your friend is unhealthy but that doesn't mean that soda is healthy. If somebody takes pizza with water it's still better than if he takes it with soda. That means the health campaigns warning about taking too much sugary drinks are working.

I don't understand what this story has to do with the topic at hand since the OPs mum drinks plenty of soft drinks every day. You are just talking around the subject without getting to the point. If you eat a normal diet but drink 10 bottles of coke a day, is it good?

At the bolded, I already said that this is about daily sugar intake and you argued that it depends on the type of juice. Now you're saying it depends on daily sugar intake which I said already

A fat person should do more of blending than juicing so that he will fill his stomach with fibre and not be tempted to take snacks.

The guys grandma takes soft drinks all the time and it's still bad for her whether anybody sees it or not. Exercise has nothing to do with filling your body with chemicals
Re: Help: My Mum Won't Stop Taking Carbonated Drinks by Healthyway15: 10:26pm On Oct 25, 2019
TVTKOKO:
From Pepsi to coke to lacasera and even to taking powerhorse drinks.

She's over 50 yrs of age and I've talked and talked but she just won't stop. If she doesn't take in the morning she'll take at night. Sometimes she take mornings and night too like it's a medication.

I'm really worried about the health implications for her but she seem not to care.

Pls what can i do? Or if there's anything i can give her that neutralizes the effect.

Pls help push this to the audience

Taking in sugary drinks and foods all the time aids the blood sugar level to rise to a stage whereby the insulin secreted by the pancreas is not enough to convert the excess sugar into glucose into energy for the body system to perform well, and this can lead to many health issues like Diabetes etc.

Fortunately, there are effective natural food supplements to treat all forms of diseases, ailments and health issues. We recommend suitable supplements for the regulation of blood sugar level.

For enquiries, you can reach us on whatsapp : 08164269252 for more details

For

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Milky "Garri" Discharge Help / Mathias Nnadi, Neurosurgeon, Dies Of COVID-19 Disease / Osun Records Six New Coronavirus Cases

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.