Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,279 members, 7,867,742 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 11:06 PM

Do You Regret Moving Abroad? - Travel (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (41682 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / Do You Regret Living Abroad??? / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (34) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 5:03pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

by the way, would it be asking for too much if asked you to answer my previous question?

Which was?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by OvieE: 5:08pm On Nov 16, 2010
justwise:

Before you left Nigeria u knew u coming to a 'white man' country, you also knew they will treated 'shabbily' but you choose to hang around in 'white man' country. If i were you, i would have gone back yrs ago, i bet you will still be in the UK after next month moaning about 'white man'

He will still be there throughtout next year and year after and more.
I bet you.
They only have a mouth to deceive others that he is moving back next month. what fake liar.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 5:16pm On Nov 16, 2010
WAVixen:

Dont hate the player, hate the game. Na who no get money dey say beer bitter! Why did you want to leave Nigeria? Do you know that some people have the best of both Worlds? You are rude and lack manners in the delivery of your opinion, it must not be so.

And you just contradicted yourself there, your comment just shows you hate the player. If I lack manners then you lack intelligence.
Why I wanted to leave Nigeria, when I was a boy, I thought like a boy, now,
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Nov 16, 2010
grin grin interesting forum, Mr.invisible grin grin justwise smiley smiley smiley where is bigmodo? to contribute
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by WAVixen: 5:42pm On Nov 16, 2010
@ justwise lol
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by debosky(m): 5:47pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

we are known the world over for pretending that we are in ecstacy when in actual fact we are in agony,

And where do you think this is demonstrated the most? You got it - where MOST Nigerians are resident - in Nigeria.

the truth of the matter is that if our country were a good place to live none of us would have left to go and live in countries where we are treated shabbily.

This is the fact that some people are trying to deny - if only a few people moved elsewhere, we could claim it was the weaklings that left. The masses of people who will do almost anything to get out prove otherwise.

I dont care what sort of job you claim to be doing in the west as long as you are a black man you will not be treated in the same way that whites are treated.

This may be true. . . .but I think you’re making the wrong comparisons. The question should be: are you treated better than you would be treated in Nigeria?

I can mention a few cases in which you are definitely treated better:

The police, health services, basic rights and some sense of accountability of how your taxes are spent  - these are far above what the average Nigerian gets in his own country.

Many delusional nigerians keep blowing hot air about how they have fantastic jobs and lifestyles in america and europe, this simply does not add up as the majority of nigerians that i have come across in both continents are not living in this way.

You need to distinguish between individual experiences and the overall experience. This ‘blowing hot air’ phenomenon is just as prevalent among people living in Nigeria where the tiny minority live a good life to the neglect of millions.

But lets just say for the sake of argument that that is the case, what happens when they start laying off thousands of immigrants, what happens to our so called palatial (mortgaged) mansions and comfortable lifestyles?  

We can also ask - what happens when the government wakes up tomorrow in Nigeria and decides to ban the importation of cars for example? What happens to all those people in Nigeria who depend on this for incomes?  

What happens when the business you’ve worked hard to build up is suddenly rendered irrelevant because some fat cat in government wants the action all to himself?
What happens when you execute a contract and don’t get paid for 2 years because of a change in government?

PS - these things have happened or are currently happening.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by cap28: 6:12pm On Nov 16, 2010
justwise:

Which was?

which was:

what happens when they start laying off thousands of immigrants, what happens to our so called palatial (mortgaged) mansions and comfortable lifestyles? 

The reason i ask this is becasue western countries are now implementing some of the harshest austerity measures in 50 years - the first casualties of such measures will be immigrants, do you think that a white man will give you a job when thousands of his own people are on the dole?

Where do we run to when that happens- id appreciate a direct answer please
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by WAVixen: 6:18pm On Nov 16, 2010
invisible!:

And you just contradicted yourself there, your comment just shows you hate the player. If I lack manners then you lack intelligence.
Why I wanted to leave Nigeria, when I was a boy, I thought like a boy, now,

Boy, block head! it was to illustrate to a 2 by 4 like you that because you can't have it, you should hate those who do.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 6:26pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

which was:what happens when they start laying off thousands of immigrants, what happens to our so called palatial (mortgaged) mansions and comfortable lifestyles?  The reason i ask this is becasue western countries are now implementing some of the harshest austerity measures in 50 years - the first casualties of such measures will be immigrants, do you think that a white man will give you a job when thousands of his own people are on the dole?Where do we run to when that happens- id appreciate a direct answer please

The mortgaged mansions could be sold /re-mortgaged and lifestyles adjusted, you need to also remember that many immigrants here will not be forced out of the UK cos some of them are British, entitled to benefit as well. If they are made redundant cos of the colour of their skin then the law is there to protect them.

Not everybody on dole wants to work, for some its a lifestyle.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 6:39pm On Nov 16, 2010
why will anyone agree that he/she regrets something he/she ran away from?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 6:48pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

speak for yourself. not every nigerian abroad ran away from nigeria. some are schooling, some were transfered by their jobs in naija, some were invited because they have family already abroad, some are tourists who fell in love with the local women and decided to stay, some work in the consular, some were sent abroad by their parents, some were sent abroad to manage daddy and mummys house in hampstead grin etc etc etc. the ones who actually ran away from nigeria were the ones who were actually suffering. thats why they still hate nigeria with a passion
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by fstranger: 6:49pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

Please talk to me. When imma hit it?

BTW, I am willing to pay you 500 pounds / hour, for an all night romp with you and any of your other gorgeous girlfriends.

Brief info about me: I am a thoroughbred "omo Naija," with a very long kondo. I am attracted to you cos I like 'em crazy, just like you are. And the fact that you are a cougar is another reason I am attracted to you, not to talk about your great body. I can't wait to tear you apart. By the time I am done, you will forever thank your stars.

Please, I am very serious and well loaded!

Yours Sincerely,
ishit4body admirer
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 6:51pm On Nov 16, 2010
Insert Quote
^^^^
What's the definition of Home

Home is your country - where you can move about freely, work and do anything without a passport, greencard or work permit e.t.c
For instance, I don't have an international passport/national ID card and I am not planning to get one soon. Also, I am already in business while the process of registering my company is still on. Nobody is holding or disturbing me.
But for you guys, who born you? who born monkey? Abroad can never be home for you whether you like it or not.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 6:52pm On Nov 16, 2010
fstranger:

Please talk to me. When imma hit it?

BTW, I am willing to pay you 500 pounds / hour, for an all night romp with you and any of your other gorgeous girlfriends.

Brief info about me: I am a thoroughbred "omo Naija," with a very long kondo. I am attracted to you cos I like 'em crazy, just like you are. And the fact that you are a  cougar is another reason I am attracted to you, not to talk about your great body. I can't wait to tear you apart. By the time I am done, you will forever thank your stars.

Please, I am very serious and well loaded!

Yours Sincerely,
ishit4body admirer
better go pay for a prostitute. you thirsty and Hot mahfuka  grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by cap28: 6:57pm On Nov 16, 2010
debosky:

And where do you think this is demonstrated the most? You got it - where MOST Nigerians are resident - in Nigeria.]

Debosky thanks for your responses.  I posed this question because i believe the day is at hand when we (immigrants) will no longer be welcome in this country, infact let me rephrase that - we are currently not welcome here but it is only the law which prevents us from being attacked in the streets by whites who do not want us here.

At the moment the law prevents most racists from expressing openly what they feel deep down inside. my question is what will we do if we are forced to go home, is that the time when it will dawn on us to actually do something to change things in nigeria, remember the israelis did not actually leave europe in large numbers until hitler's rise to power, it was only after the persecution of jews that you had mass movements of jews from europe back to israel.  And to Justwise who referred to the law protecting us - try and find out about what happened to millions of dollars worth of property owned by Jews which was subsequently confiscated by the Nazis.  

I think our mindset needs to change , maybe we have to learn to face up to the reality of what our current situation is rather than spouting fairy tales about how "rich" we are in comparison to the 80%  who live below the breadline.

I can mention a few cases in which you are definitely treated better:

The police, health services, basic rights and some sense of accountability of how your taxes are spent  - these are far above what the average Nigerian gets in his own country.

yes i agree but the bottom line is this is not our country and it is made clear to us on a daily basis.

You need to distinguish between individual experiences and the overall experience. This ‘blowing hot air’ phenomenon is just as prevalent among people living in Nigeria where the tiny minority live a good life to the neglect of millions.

Why should i distinguish between individual circumstances and overall experiences?  what does it matter, just because 10 nigerians happen to be earning more than the average nigerian in europe or america does not mean that that is the general situation of all nigerians in europe or america, as i said people in such circumstances are in the minority.  

Furthermore the general consensus amongst whites with regard to blacks as a race is that we are a backward race of people incapable of running our own affairs and who are the beneficiaries of their "western civilisation" and religion which has lifted us out of our previous heathen and primitive state.

We can also ask - what happens when the government wakes up tomorrow in Nigeria and decides to ban the importation of cars for example? What happens to all those people in Nigeria who depend on this for incomes?  ]

Nah its not the same scenario, how many average nigerians can afford to import cars into nigeria - you're talking about a small minority of business people in nigeria who are involved in that line of business, there is no way you can compare massive job losses of nigerians abroad to a few nigerian business men loosing out on the car  importation business.  I think that the situation for nigerians abroad will be far more drastic.  

what im saying is that if we loose our jobs here in the west many of us will be forced to come home and try and do something to change things.

What happens when the business you’ve worked hard to build up is suddenly rendered irrelevant because some fat cat in government wants the action all to himself?
What happens when you execute a contract and don’t get paid for 2 years because of a change in government?

well, i dont know the answer to that, as a people we seem to have a very high tolerance level for pain and suffering so perhaps nothing will happen, but i think more nigerian youth will become radicalised when they realise how grim and bleak their future looks.  I think a time will come when as a people we wont be able to take any more abuse from the nigerian govt - perhaps thats when we will move towards a revolution.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 6:59pm On Nov 16, 2010
i mean i can seriously understand why someone who crawled through 2000 miles of hot libyan desert sand, will hate naija with a passion. whatever will make you go through that had to have been very bad. so i can appreciate the hatred some folk have for naija. but they will turn around when they are 60 on the streets of london and young jamo boys are slapping them around on the streets of peckham cuz you know youths in england hate old people. old people apparently clog up the streets when they walk slowly, so the youths kick their walker from underneath them and then laugh when the old person falls down. they will turn around. 'time' is the biggest emancipator
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 7:01pm On Nov 16, 2010
As if there are no graveyards 'in abroad'.  

Who said "in abroad"?

To your question,
So you actually prefer to die and be buried abroad? SHAME ON YOU. That is the fate of outcasts or OSU in Igboland. Anyway, I dont see the whites giving you that "honour". They will either find a way of sending your dead body back home(Nigeria) or cremating you. Too bad. Its your business all the same.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by fstranger: 7:02pm On Nov 16, 2010
buzugee:

better go pay for a love-peddler. you thirsty and Hot mahfuka  grin

Yo, what are you talking about? ishit4body is a love-peddler.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 7:02pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

Debosky thanks for your responses.  I posed this question because i believe the day is at hand when we (immigrants) will no longer be welcome in this country, infact let me rephrase that - we are currently not welcome here but it is only the law which prevents us from being attacked in the streets by whites who do not want us here.

At the moment the law prevents most racists from expressing openly what they feel deep down inside. my question is what will we do if we are forced to go home, is that the time when it will dawn on us to actually do something to change things in nigeria, remember the israelis did not actually leave europe in large numbers until hitler's rise to power, it was only after the persecution of jews that you had mass movements of jews from europe back to israel.  And to Justwise who referred to the law protecting us - try and find out about what happened to millions of dollars worth of property owned by Jews which was subsequently confiscated by the Nazis.  

I think our mindset needs to change , maybe we have to learn to face up to the reality of what our current situation is rather than spouting fairy tales about how "rich" we are in comparison to the 80%  who live below the breadline.

yes i agree but the bottom line is this is not our country and it is made clear to us on a daily basis.

Why should i distinguish between individual circumstances and overall experiences?  what does it matter, just because 10 nigerians happen to be earning more than the average nigerian in europe or america does not mean that that is the general situation of all nigerians in europe or america, as i said people in such circumstances are in the minority.  

Furthermore the general consensus amongst whites with regard to blacks as a race is that we are a backward race of people incapable of running our own affairs and who are the beneficiaries of their "western civilisation" and religion which has lifted us out of our previous heathen and primitive state.

Nah its not the same scenario, how many average nigerians can afford to import cars into nigeria - you're talking about a small minority of business people in nigeria who are involved in that line of business, there is no way you can compare massive job losses of nigerians abroad to a few nigerian business men loosing out on the car  importation business.  I think that the situation for nigerians abroad will be far more drastic.  

what im saying is that if we loose our jobs here in the west many of us will be forced to come home and try and do something to change things.

well, i dont know the answer to that, as a people we seem to have a very high tolerance level for pain and suffering so perhaps nothing will happen, but i think more nigerian youth will become radicalised when they realise how grim and bleak their future looks.  I think a time will come when as a people we wont be able to take any more abuse from the nigerian govt - perhaps thats when we will move towards a revolution.

dude lets not get too dramatic. the generation of african and jamaican british is steeped deep in british history. blacks have been in britain since the 1500s. now what may happen will be a backlash against immigrants but not citizens. how can you tell ? mannerisms, clothing style, accent etc etc
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 7:05pm On Nov 16, 2010
buzugee:

speak for yourself. not every nigerian abroad ran away from nigeria. some are schooling, some were transfered by their jobs in naija, some were invited because they have family already abroad, some are tourists who fell in love with the local women and decided to stay, some work in the consular, some were sent abroad by their parents, some were sent abroad to manage daddy and mummys house in hampstead  grin etc etc etc. the ones who actually ran away from nigeria were the ones who were actually suffering. thats why they still hate nigeria with a passion

so why are you countering my statement?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by dayokanu(m): 7:05pm On Nov 16, 2010
PStylish:

Home is your country - where you can move about freely, work and do anything without a passport, greencard or work permit e.t.c
For instance, I don't have an international passport/national ID card and I am not planning to get one soon. Also, I am already in business while the process of registering my company is still on. Nobody is holding or disturbing me.
But for you guys, who born you? who born monkey? Abroad can never be home for you whether you like it or not.

You know its illegal to walk around in most countries without a form of identification on you. Be you the Senator or a beggar?

So If A Texas Senator walks with his ID in his wallet he can not call texas his home?

Shocking the kind of reasoning we see here
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by fstranger: 7:07pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

Why are you doing this to me? Please answer my question: when imma hit it?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 7:12pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

i am jus sayin now grin alot of naijas actually came in the sixties and seventies when britain was still begging africans to come and work on the railways and the buses. a huge chunk of them never returned home. they are now the phenom we call 'daddy london'. i am sure a huge chunk of them regret their decision. thats all am saying. not every nigerian ran away from naija. ya dig ? grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 7:13pm On Nov 16, 2010
Yooo. me dig!

But, y'all can argue all you want, these breed of people will be ready to slave all over again to remain abroad, so, why will they agree of anything better to where they are right now?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by fstranger: 7:16pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

Yooo. me dig!

But, y'all can argue all you want, these breed of people will be ready to slave all over again to remain abroad, so, why will they agree of anything better to where they are right now?

Who knows? Forget about them. Talk to me, when imma hit it?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Nov 16, 2010
What do you want to do with my dead body? Does it really matter where one died and buried?

You are such a sad human being.

I was only trying to wake you up the basic reality that you guys can't stay abroad forever. There's a lot of work to be done at home. You guys' experience abroad can be brought to bear on how to move the country forward and make it like the countries we all run to. You benefit nothing by putting down your own country.
Hence, you guys are only allowed to stay abroad a little while, garner a lot of experience on how things work, save a lot of money and come back home to establish something worthwhile that will benefit the economy and provide jobs which you couldn't get before travelling out and then become rich, successful and fulfilled. This must have been the intention of many as they headed abroad but so far, this seems impossible as you barely survive not to talk of trying to save money. Its a lost cause. Its better to rough it (struggle) at home than abroad.
Forget the shame and draw a timetable for your return home, pray to God and abide by it. It is well with you.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 7:21pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

Yooo. me dig!

thats a blanket statement. i  personally know many with regrets. see, their mates studied and came to naija immediately. fortunately for their mates, naija was booming back then and all the ones from abroad all strolled into big positions in nigeria. they became ministers and ceos and the ruling class of naija. the ones who stayed behind ? well if you go to any huge office in the west end of london at night ? you will see all of them there securing all the buildings. 60 and 70 year old nigerian security officers run the whole west end. you know why white people like them that old ? because at that age they are very trustworthy. those security companys are slave drivers too. they increase your paycheck by 15 pence annually. 15 pence ? shocked so maybe you start with them at 6 pounds an hour. by the time you get to the ripe old age of 80, you will have advanced to 8 pounds an hour grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 7:23pm On Nov 16, 2010
Buzeeee

I ma talking about the pig eaters commenting on this thread ok?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 7:26pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

Buzeeee

I ma talking about the pig eaters commenting on this thread ok?
aiitttt. word up grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by justwise(m): 7:33pm On Nov 16, 2010
PStylish:

I was only trying to wake you up the basic reality that you guys can't stay abroad forever. There's a lot of work to be done at home. You guys' experience abroad can be brought to bear on how to move the country forward and make it like the countries we all run to. You benefit nothing by putting down your own country.
Hence[b], you guys are only allowed to stay abroad a little while[/b], garner a lot of experience on how things work, save a lot of money and come back home to establish something worthwhile that will benefit the economy and provide jobs which you couldn't get before travelling out and then become rich, successful and fulfilled. This must have been the intention of many as they headed abroad but so far, this seems impossible as you barely survive not to talk of trying to save money. Its a lost cause. Its better to rough it (struggle) at home than abroad.
Forget the shame and draw a timetable for your return home, pray to God and abide by it. It is well with you.
You really don't get it and that is sad. Many Nigerians here have ALL their families here, they are British and will NEVER be kicked out. Can i say it again and again: Not Everybody Abroad is living on the street and cleaning toilet just as not everybody living in Nigeria are doing well.
I don't know what u call 'worthwhile' that could mean different thing to different pple, life is not black and white. Stop generalising.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by cap28: 7:35pm On Nov 16, 2010
buzugee:

dude lets not get too dramatic. the generation of african and jamaican british is steeped deep in british history. blacks have been in britain since the 1500s. now what may happen will be a backlash against immigrants but not citizens. how can you tell ? mannerisms, clothing style, accent etc etc

you can tell by the colour of the person's skin, when i go for job interviews as soon as they see that i am black they automatically conclude that i am an immigrant despite the fact that i was born in the UK, therefore identity as far as whites are concerned is not based on where you were born or which passport you carry but on the colour of your skin.  Even after you have opened your mouth and they discover that you speak like them they STILL do not treat you as one of them, i have experienced this countless times, a white south african, a new zealander (white of course) a zimbabwean (white) an american (white) are all accorded preferential treatment over and above all blacks - be they jamaicans, african americans, nigerians, the common denominator here is the fact that our skin is black so please dont delude yourself into thinking that you are accepted because you carry a UK passport or speak and behave like them.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 7:41pm On Nov 16, 2010
You are black and British, and you think that makes you accepted and can never be kicked out? A British Nigerian for that matter?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (34)

United Nigeria Airline Arrives Enugu With Dikeora On Board / Suspected Yahoo Boys Kill Furniture Apprentice With Toyota Camry In Delta (Pix) / Thread For France Prospective Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.