Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,278 members, 7,867,729 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 10:41 PM

Do You Regret Moving Abroad? - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (41681 Views)

Passengers Sitting On Top Of A Moving Train (photos) / Do You Regret Living Abroad??? / Do You Regret Moving Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (34) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 7:47pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

you can tell by the colour of the person's skin, when i go for job interviews as soon as they see that i am black they automatically conclude that i am an immigrant despite the fact that i was born in the UK, therefore identity as far as whites are concerned is not based on where you were born or which passport you carry but on the colour of your skin.  Even after you have opened your mouth and they discover that you speak like them they STILL do not treat you as one of them, i have experienced this countless times, a white south african, a new zealander (white of course) a zimbabwean (white) an american (white) are all accorded preferential treatment over and above all blacks - be they jamaicans, african americans, nigerians, the common denominator here is the fact that our skin is black so please dont delude yourself into thinking that you are accepted because you carry a UK passport or speak and behave like them.
bruv, if they look at you and still think you are an immigrant ? bruv you need to make some changes. first off, dietary changes. stay away from nigerian food. eat lots of raw foods. drink only juice. no soda. do some exercise. then change your dress sense. grin thank me later. its all about 'perceptions'
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 7:50pm On Nov 16, 2010
^^^

and bleach your colour to white? or dont you get what he was saying. All those things you talk about dont change the fact that you are black, and thats they way the white boy sees yah, you can eat all the cray fish in the market in the name of eating white man's food, at the end of the day, you still a nigger, a black effing nigger, thats the way the white man sees you, even if you see yourself as prince charles.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 7:51pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

You are black and British, and you think that makes you accepted and can never be kicked out? A British Nigerian for that matter?
ermmm you can never be kicked out if you are british. doesnt matter if you are orange, green, yellow, blue, black or white.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 7:54pm On Nov 16, 2010
Go and talk to the British National Party.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 7:54pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

^^^

and bleach your colour to white? or dont you get what he was saying. All those things you talk about dont change the fact that you are black, and thats they way the white boy sees yah,  you can eat all the cray fish in the market in the name of eating white man's food, at the end of the day, you still a nigger, a black effing nigger, thats the way the white man sees you, even if you see yourself as prince charles.
i know where he is coming from and i know where i am coming from. with white people, it is all about perception. how you look trumps race in england. if you are a very good looking, good skin, healthy skin, clean cut person ? does not matter your race. white people are very visual. they love and admire beauty.

most nigerians in britain are very stodgy because even though they are in britain, they still eat eba all the time  grin. well that aint gone help you out in a job interview looking stodgy and dull skin   grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 16, 2010
You really don't get it and that is sad. Many Nigerians here have ALL their families here, they are British and will NEVER be kicked out. Can i say it again and again: Not Everybody Abroad is living on the street and cleaning toilet just as not everybody living in Nigeria are doing well.
I don't know what u call 'worthwhile' that could mean different thing to different pple, life is not black and white. Stop generalising.

If you like, have your  whole village there with you, it will never make it home.
A good example is the recent repatriation by the French government of a whole tribe of people(can't remember their name for now. I think they are Romanians)  from France to their native/home country, Romania. You can't take away the fact that some of the settlers' grandparents may have been born in France. But it didn't matter. And they are still white o. Not talk of you blacks.
Even the Black Britons (ex-slaves) have been trying to retrace their roots. Many want to come back but they have found it all too difficult to blend with African tradition/mentality. They have been caught in-between. White brain(mentality), black skin which is not good for them.
But no so for you. Make amends before its too late.

By worthwhile I mean a the successful implementation of a good business idea.

And is there anyone who doesn't want to live the good life?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by ishit4body(f): 7:55pm On Nov 16, 2010
I actually thought we were making sense here.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 7:58pm On Nov 16, 2010
ishit4body:

I actually thought we were making sense here.
grin grin grin like i said, if you are black british ? you cannot be deported. then they will have to deport all the white south africans back to britain, all the white americans back to britain, etc etc. it just does not work like that. but what they can do is enact a new law saying that no matter if you were born in britain or not ? so long as you are the children of immigrants, you will never be british. thats the only thing they can do now.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Nov 16, 2010
buzugee:

grin grin grin like i said, if you are black british ? you cannot be deported. then they will have to deport all the white south africans back to britain, all the white americans back to britain, etc etc. it just does not work like that.
True that. In fact England is  a country of immigrants and will always be so.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 8:07pm On Nov 16, 2010
tensor777:

True that. In fact England is  a country of immigrants and will always be so.
right right. england was all ice before. then people moved in via migration (the anglo and saxones ), and then the romans, then the celts, the barbarians, the blacks, the jews etc etc. black people have being in britain from the start, albeit just a few of them. but during the euros involvement in the slave trade from the 1400s, lots of portuguese slave traders dropped tonnes of blacks in england. these black folks were servants and blacksmiths etc etc in britain. lots of blacks fought for britain in the first and second world wars
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 8:18pm On Nov 16, 2010
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 8:19pm On Nov 16, 2010
buzugee:

right right. england was all ice before. then people moved in via migration (the anglo and saxones ), and then the romans, then the celts, the barbarians, the blacks, the jews etc etc. black people have being in britain from the start, albeit just a few of them. but during the euros involvement in the slave trade from the 1400s, lots of portuguese slave traders dropped tonnes of blacks in england. these black folks were servants and blacksmiths etc etc in britain. lots of blacks fought for britain in the first and second world wars
All that is true. However some well known reactionaries on this forum are always thinking in terms of RACE AND PIGMENTATION to the point of irrational absurdity even as the streets of England become more kaleidoscopic by the day.
Basically their argument carried to its logical conclusion would see the Saxons deported to Germany, the Normans to Normandy in France, the Vikings to Denmark, the jews to Transylvania in Hungary and the rest just dumped in Africa! cool cheesy cool
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 8:25pm On Nov 16, 2010
tensor777:

All that is true. However some well known reactionaries on this forum are always thinking in terms of RACE AND PIGMENTATION to the point of irrational absurdity even as the streets of England become more kaleidoscopic by the day.
Basically their argument carried to its logical conclusion would see the Saxons deported to Germany, the Normans to Normandy in France, the Vikings to Denmark, the jews to Transylvania in Hungary and the rest just dumped in Africa! cool cheesy cool

you ain never lied. you know what it is though ? a lot of black people are not very informed. hence they feel less british than they actually should had they known the whole history of blacks in britain and their contributions. a lot of people actually think that all blacks came to britain during the windrush in the nineteen fifties.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by debosky(m): 8:40pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

Debosky thanks for your responses.  I posed this question because i believe the day is at hand when we (immigrants) will no longer be welcome in this country, infact let me rephrase that - we are currently not welcome here but it is only the law which prevents us from being attacked in the streets by whites who do not want us here.

With regard to not being 'welcome', how widespread is this opinion you hold on to so readily? I accept there are nutcases everywhere, just like there are madmen in Northern Nigeria that despise Igbo people living there and seek chances to kill and maim at the slightest opportunity.

At the moment the law prevents most racists from expressing openly what they feel deep down inside. my question is what will we do if we are forced to go home, is that the time when it will dawn on us to actually do something to change things in nigeria, remember the israelis did not actually leave europe in large numbers until hitler's rise to power, it was only after the persecution of jews that you had mass movements of jews from europe back to israel.  And to Justwise who referred to the law protecting us - try and find out about what happened to millions of dollars worth of property owned by Jews which was subsequently confiscated by the Nazis.  

I understand this assertion BUT that was a world war - surely you aren't claiming that such a move will happen only due to a recession? Look I'm no idealist, but the fact is, the Western countries cannot afford to kick out immigrants in the fashion you mentioned. The recent trips to India and China and huge financial support for Pakistan (the three largest sources of immigrants in Asia) by the leaders of the US and UK show you that much. We all need each other to survive.

I think our mindset needs to change , maybe we have to learn to face up to the reality of what our current situation is rather than spouting fairy tales about how "rich" we are in comparison to the 80%  who live below the breadline.

I agree - this applies to Nigerians everywhere, both at home and abroad. The fact is, most Nigerians don't interact beyond a very small circle - they are mostly unable to comprehend living standards of the majority of people. . . .that's why shows on the BBC showing neglect and poverty in the same Lagos some have been living in for decades still shocks people.

yes i agree but the bottom line is this is not our country and it is made clear to us on a daily basis.

My question was, is it important that it is 'not your country'? I'll give you an example - many rich Arabs have secured Canadian citizenship. . .they live in both countries but send their children to school in Canada. They don't see themselves as Canadian and it makes little difference.

If in your 'own' country you can be treated as lower than scum, surely even if 'abroad' isn't your country and you are treated better than compared to yours, it renders the issue of 'your' country less important?

Why should i distinguish between individual circumstances and overall experiences?  what does it matter, just because 10 nigerians happen to be earning more than the average nigerian in europe or america does not mean that that is the general situation of all nigerians in europe or america, as i said people in such circumstances are in the minority.  

Not asking you to forget the situation of the majority - all I meant is that the experience of the majority does not make the experience of the few untrue. This is moreso when you are talking of large numbers like in Nigeria - 20 million living well might sound very large if you're looking at a small country, but in Nigeria it may be less than 20% of the population.

Furthermore the general consensus amongst whites with regard to blacks as a race is that we are a backward race of people incapable of running our own affairs and who are the beneficiaries of their "western civilisation" and religion which has lifted us out of our previous heathen and primitive state.

So the 'solution' is to go hide among your own people so you don't experience this consensus?   I don't see why this is relevant - if your going back will not change the alleged general consensus, then what is the relevance of the consensus to this discourse?

Nah its not the same scenario, how many average nigerians can afford to import cars into nigeria - you're talking about a small minority of business people in nigeria who are involved in that line of business, there is no way you can compare massive job losses of nigerians abroad to a few nigerian business men loosing out on the car  importation business.  I think that the situation for nigerians abroad will be far more drastic.  

I doubt it - I am not saying it will not have an effect, but you are definitely overplaying it a tad bit.

what im saying is that if we loose our jobs here in the west many of us will be forced to come home and try and do something to change things.

In some cases yes - but this presumes those abroad are bestowed with some exceptional talents to change things that those in Nigeria do not have. I disagree with that completely.

well, i dont know the answer to that, as a people we seem to have a very high tolerance level for pain and suffering so perhaps nothing will happen, but i think more nigerian youth will become radicalised when they realise how grim and bleak their future looks.  I think a time will come when as a people we wont be able to take any more abuse from the nigerian govt - perhaps thats when we will move towards a revolution.

The same resilience that made people change from eating three meals to eating one, that made people walk to work instead of driving or taking the bus, and other numerous examples will simply keep things going. The same resilience that makes people go on for years doing cleaner jobs and the like will keep people going abroad if they choose to remain - losing jobs will not simply cause the exodus you describe.

I don't believe those abroad are the ones that can cause a change in Nigeria - it is we who are in the country who must make the change because it affects us more than those who have managed to 'escape'.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 9:07pm On Nov 16, 2010
good history lesson tensor777. nice piece about the normans being from france etc. and the vikings from denmark.  saxons from germany, and jews to transylvania guess we learn new things everyday. my knowledge has been boosted  grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by cap28: 9:19pm On Nov 16, 2010
buzugee:

bruv, if they look at you and still think you are an immigrant ? bruv you need to make some changes. first off, dietary changes. stay away from nigerian food. eat lots of raw foods. drink only juice. no soda. do some exercise. then change your dress sense. grin thank me later. its all about 'perceptions'

hmm interesting - so is there something wrong with looking "african" then - are you ashamed of your african roots? - from your response it appears as if you do not want to be identified as an african, so you dont eat african food and you dress in a certain way so as not to be mistaken for an african - wow your response says a lot about what you think of your race and your fellow africans another self hating house negro is what we have here!!!!

if i needed  your advice which thankfully i dont i would say to you that yes, i do not eat starchy food and yes i exercise regularly as i  jog three times a week in the park, im also teetotal in addition i do not eat red meat but that is not the point.  If you still havent understood that discrimination is based on skin colour and not aesthetics then i think you have a very long way to go.  What i am talking about here goes beyond physical appearance its about the politics of race, certain races are perceived in a particular light - africans are seen as backward and primitive - this is not  helped by the negative images projected of us in the media, jamaicans are portrayed as ignorant and violent, chinese are portrayed as hardworking and intelligent, germans are portrayed as intelligent and innovative, these labels are media creations but they wreak havoc on our collective images.

If i am to go along with your view point then that would mean that the reason most blacks suffer high unemployment rates in europe and america is because we  simply do not look good enough. And unlike our white counterparts who are much more asethetically pleasing to the eye given that the majority of them are slim, clear skinned and drop dead gorgeous we should not expect to be allowed into certain jobs until we get our act together and start to make ourselves much more pleasing and presentable to the european eye!!!!

I have heard it all on NL.

Let me try and clarify this so you understand "immigrant" is a label attached to every non white person who lives in the west, it is a way for whites to make a distinction between those whom they think are worthy of equal treatment and those who they think should be denied equal treatment irrespective of where they were born or which passport they carry - comprende
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

hmm interesting - so is there something wrong with looking "african" then - are you ashamed of your african roots? - from your response it appears as if you do not want to be identified as an african, so you dont eat african food and you dress in a certain way so as not to be mistaken for an african - wow your response says a lot about what you think of your race and your fellow africans another self hating house negro is what we have here!!!!
You can eat what you like. However there are a wide variety of foods and menus in London. However I wouldn't consider eating processed cassava meal every day a healthy diet  particularly in such a temperate climate . undecided
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 9:29pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

if i needed  your advice which thankfully i dont i would say to you that yes, i do not eat starchy food and yes i exercise regularly as i  jog three times a week in the park, im also teetotal in addition i do not eat red meat but that is not the point.  If you still havent understood that discrimination is based on skin colour and not aesthetics then i think you have a very long way to go.  What i am talking about here goes beyond physical appearance its about the politics of race, certain races are perceived in a particular light - africans are seen as backward and primitive - this is not  helped by the negative images projected of us in the media, jamaicans are portrayed as ignorant and violent, chinese are portrayed as hardworking and intelligent, germans are portrayed as intelligent and innovative, these labels are media creations but they wreak havoc on our collective images.

If i am to go along with your view point then that would mean that the reason most blacks suffer high unemployment rates in europe and america is because we  simply do not look good enough. And unlike our white counterparts who are much more asethetically pleasing to the eye given that the majority of them are slim, clear skinned and drop dead gorgeous we should not expect to be allowed into certain jobs until we get our act together and start to make ourselves much more pleasing and presentable to the european eye!!!!

I have heard it all on NL.

Let me try and clarify this so you understand "immigrant" is a label attached to every non white person who lives in the west, it is a way for whites to make a distinction between those whom they think are worthy of equal treatment and those who they think should be denied equal treatment irrespective of where they were born or which passport they carry - comprende
bruv, there is nothing wrong in looking african if you are in africa  grin however if you want to survive in britain you have to practice mimicry
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Freiburger(m): 9:38pm On Nov 16, 2010
@ Topic
For what? As long as am free to go back anything so regret for now.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 9:38pm On Nov 16, 2010
those who fail to practice mimicry operate on the fringes of society as cab drivers, yahoo yahoo, etc etc
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Nov 16, 2010
At the moment the law prevents most racists from expressing openly what they feel deep down inside.

When push comes to shove, the white racists will take up arms and maim you blacks - exslave or African while their law enforcement agents will either look the other way or support them. Sorry for you.

I am so shocked as to how someone can love another man's land so bad. Its crazy. Damn!!!
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 9:42pm On Nov 16, 2010
The same resilience that made people change from eating three
meals to eating one, that made people walk to work instead of
driving or taking the bus, and other numerous examples will
simply keep things going. The same resilience that makes people
go on for years doing cleaner jobs and the like will keep people
going abroad if they choose to remain - losing jobs will not
simply cause the exodus you describe.

Who feeds these people with these types of untruth, apart from the mad beggers under the bridge, I dont know any hard orking Nigerian that will not eat three times daily.

So, people now walk to work? Whatever happened to transportation, Fashola BRT and Large transport schemes dotting every part of Nigeria with new cars/buses. Well, our eyes only see what it wants to see.

The only thing you need to do in Naija is to exploit your knowledge with determination. If youths could be half as hardworking as they get abroad, they will never be poor.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by debosky(m): 9:45pm On Nov 16, 2010
^^

I am talking of changes individuals have had to made while going through hard times. . . .it would do you good to read posts within the context that they were made.

People have walked to work during fuel scarcity, people have changed feeding habits when money was in short supply.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by invisible2(m): 9:47pm On Nov 16, 2010
The same resilience that made people change from eating three
meals to eating one, that made people walk to work instead of
driving or taking the bus, and other numerous examples will
simply keep things going. The same resilience that makes people
go on for years doing cleaner jobs and the like will keep people
going abroad if they choose to remain - losing jobs will not
simply cause the exodus you describe.

Who feeds these people with these types of untruth, apart from the mad beggers under the bridge, I dont know any hard orking Nigerian that will not eat three times daily.

So, people now walk to work? Whatever happened to transportation, Fashola BRT and Large transport schemes dotting every part of Nigeria with new cars/buses. Well, our eyes only see what it wants to see.

The only thing you need to do in Naija is to exploit your knowledge with determination. If youths could be half as hardworking as they get abroad, they will never be poor.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 9:57pm On Nov 16, 2010
PStylish:

I am so shocked as to how someone can love another man's land so bad. Its crazy. Damn!!!
And why exactly should you be shocked that a man should love his country because that is what it is when you come down to reality. Its where he lives, works, plays and pays his taxes.
Of what business is that of yours and how does that change anything in your life?
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by WAVixen: 10:12pm On Nov 16, 2010
HEHEHE grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by cap28: 10:19pm On Nov 16, 2010
buzugee:

bruv, there is nothing wrong in looking african if you are in africa grin however if you want to survive in britain you have to practice mimicry

but the people you mimic, the people you love and idolise have nothing but contempt and scorn for you, hate is too strong a word, as you only hate something that you fear, they dont even fear us because they know a large number of us think like you.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by cap28: 10:27pm On Nov 16, 2010
I see countless nigerian guys with buzugee's attitude hanging out in white areas and trying to get with white girls, these are the nigerians who usually end up getting their heads kicked in by groups of white boys who tag white girls who go out with black men as "damaged goods".
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 10:28pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

but the people you mimic, the people you love and idolise have nothing but contempt and scorn for you, hate is too strong a word, as you only hate something that you fear, they dont even fear us because they know a large number of us think like you.
bruv, i dont know your background. maybe you are the son of ibru or something. you got your own. you dont need to get from other people. in that case i can understand your point of view. well i myself ? i have to take from the white man. he has the jobs i want. and as they say ' if you wan chop with monkey, you gotta pretend to be monkey'. dunno where you get this 'idolize' thing from. only person i idolize is me. that is why i am willing to take that extra step to acquire what i want, even if it means 'mimicry'. thats deep love right there. deep love for me.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Freiburger(m): 10:29pm On Nov 16, 2010
@ topic
What has now changed dramatically for good over the last 30 years in a country like Niaja that will make people now start regreting why they left? The bitter fact is that the country's present state is even worse than it was as at the time most ppl left. I rather run to a place where my money is being looted to, and and have some comfort with it, coz most of these looted cash are not going back to that country or their looters.
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by buzugee(m): 10:32pm On Nov 16, 2010
cap28:

I see countless nigerian guys with buzugee's attitude hanging out in white areas and trying to get with white girls, these are the nigerians who usually end up getting their heads kicked in by groups of white boys who tag white girls who go out with black men as "damaged goods".
bruv, because i try to blend in so i can get that high powered job does not mean i try to blend in after work. you are making way too many assumptions. but i will let it slide because it seems you are flowing from a bitter place. maybe things not working out for you in britain so you are angry at the world. its ok bruv. i feel your pain. let it all hang out  grin
Re: Do You Regret Moving Abroad? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2010
Freiburger:

@ topic
What has now changed dramatically for good over the last 30 years in a country like Niaja that will make people now start regreting why they left? The bitter fact is that the country's present state is even worse than it was as at the time most ppl left. I rather run to a place where my money is being looted to, and and have some comfort with it, coz most of these looted cash are not going back to that country or their looters.
Well its kind of lame if not myopic to stay in Europe just because you feel Nigeria has not changed for the common man. You ought to have positive reasons for staying in Germany. Are you not there to tangibly better your own life.?
So no I wouldn't go back to Nigeria just because it has changed for the better, as it was not the standard of living of the man in the street that made me leave in the first place.

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (34)

United Nigeria Airline Arrives Enugu With Dikeora On Board / Suspected Yahoo Boys Kill Furniture Apprentice With Toyota Camry In Delta (Pix) / Thread For France Prospective Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.