Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,841 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? (17736 Views)

Reasons Why Many Guys Insist On Getting Into Ladies' Pants In Relationships / Interracial Relationships - Somalis + Caribbean And Somalis + Other Africans / Why Do Black Women Marry The Ugliest & Worst White Men In Interracial Marriages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by pazuzu(f): 7:27pm On May 21, 2007
How Are Interracial Relationships Accepted/Viewed In Nigeria?

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I'm really excited.

I am a Nigerian who lives in South Africa but moving back to Lagos to start up a business online.

I am coming with my expatriate(white) boyfriend and our daughter.

Is it safe to be back in Lagos and what can I expect?
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 7:44pm On May 21, 2007
I'm glad you asked this question, pazuzu. I live in the US and I, too, would like to know how the people of Nigeria feel about this.

How have things been for you and him in South Africa in this regard?
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by pazuzu(f): 8:01pm On May 21, 2007
thank you for the response. i have lived here in south africa for five years and dont forget that this the country that gave racism a name called apartheid. it has not been a problem for me at all. i actually find it amusing. i am 33 years old and from the yoruba tribe and have no problem being with my boyfriend. i am not bragging but he is very attractive and we go everywhere holding hands. we are hated by both the black south african women and the white women hate him too cos they think he has sold out to his pepole. when i was pregnant with our daughter, nothing changed. we went out everywhere holding hands and almost everyone stared at me, my boyfriend and my pregnant belly. it was so funny. now that i have had my baby, they still stare even more. now the whites come to me to say how cute my baby is. the blacks are simply envious and still stuck in the ages.
in nigeria of course, it is assumed that when you are with a white guy, he picked you up from the nite club. what a stupid mentality. it all boils down to ignorance!!!
pls keeps comments coming in.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ikamefa(f): 11:24pm On May 21, 2007
safe? i dont know about that depends on where you end up in lagos

what kind of bixnix /job you intend to get into when you get back home

if your hubby and child will be able to adapt to life in lagos Nigeria

also interracial marriages abound in Nigeria its no biggie
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 11:35pm On May 21, 2007
Doubt they really have a problem with it. I knew alot of "half caste" kids when I was in secondary school. The question you will probably get or your kid will be asked is stuff like "why arent you married/why arent your parents married"

1 Like

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 12:32am On May 24, 2007
@ThiefOfHearts:

Is "half-caste" another way of saying "of mixed parentage" or does it mean something else? I live in the US and am not familiar with this phrasing.

Also, I really like your signature--it says a lot! grin
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:46am On May 24, 2007
drrionelli:

@ThiefOfHearts:

Is "half-caste" another way of saying "of mixed parentage" or does it mean something else? I live in the US and am not familiar with this phrasing.

Also, I really like your signature--it says a lot! grin

Yea half-caste is usually used for mixed kids esp where one of the parents is white. It's a weird term really.

and what do you mean? tongue
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 1:21am On May 24, 2007
pazuzu:

thank you for the response. i have lived here in south africa for five years and don't forget that this the country that gave racism a name called apartheid. it has not been a problem for me at all. i actually find it amusing. i am 33 years old and from the yoruba tribe and have no problem being with my boyfriend. i am not bragging but he is very attractive and we go everywhere holding hands. we are hated by both the black south african women and the white women hate him too because they think he has sold out to his pepole. when i was pregnant with our daughter, nothing changed. we went out everywhere holding hands and almost everyone stared at me, my boyfriend and my pregnant belly. it was so funny. now that i have had my baby, they still stare even more. now the whites come to me to say how cute my baby is. the blacks are[b] simply envious [/b] and still stuck in the ages.
in nigeria of course, it is assumed that when you are with a white guy, he picked you up from the night club. what a stupid mentality. it all boils down to ignorance!!!
please keeps comments coming in.

envious? i doubt that you can call them ignorant not envious, just like saying people that don't liek gays are enviousĀ  undecided

There are mixed race people in nigeria. You should worry about you family being comfortable with your relationship;i don't see any reason why they shouldnt.you are old enough! The general public are too busy hustling and waiting for tips

Abuja is safer. Lagos is a s lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by pazuzu(f): 7:53am On May 24, 2007
my family has absolutely no problem with me being with a caucasian. its funny that they are called expatriates in nigeria. half caste kids are called coloreds here in south africa. my family lives in london. im not worried about being in lagos. we simply have to live in either ikoyi or victoria island where we would blend in just fine.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by BlackMamba(m): 5:30pm On May 24, 2007
The average Nigerian reduces everything in life to wealth. Traditionally we hate on tribal lines rather than race. We don't necessary love a white folk but will let it slide because of his perceived wealth. If you get to Naija with enough cash to smooth your way around, you'll feel a lot of love around you. Though most will be out to get what they can out of the friendship. Actually your kid will enjoy a privileged status just for been mixed. But the bottom line is that you must have enough cash to look wealthy. The average Naija don't care about the colour of your skin one way or the other.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by BigSis(f): 6:42pm On May 24, 2007
Sadly what Black Mama said about the color caste. TThe color caste goes like this, which is enforced and supported by Naija: whites are the top dog. Near whites. Asians and other lighter skinned people, the African is at the bottom of the color caste. Naijas are fascinated with lighter skinned people. So you will probably, through your husband, benefit from white privelege.

A half caste in the states is called a half breed, a mut, a mongrel, which means someone who isn't a pure bred. The political correct term to someone's face is biracial/mixed. To use any of these terms is considred an insult. It is funny the terms we come up with for things that have existed for ages. Black Americans have been mixed for almost 400 years, yet we are well aware that we are the descendents of Africans. You can be high, high yellow to blue black in black American society.

Do you know that during slavery many of our people were whiter than the whites? The condition of the mother is the condition of the child.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:49pm On May 24, 2007
It's quite irritating when you have jobless akatas running their mouths about a country they know nothing about.

Wealthy people get love and respect in Nigeria, not based on race.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by pazuzu(f): 8:02pm On May 24, 2007
it would certainly be fun to be back in lagos. the men would think that my partner must have picked me up from the nite club or picked me up from italy. we are actually moving to lagos for about 4 0r 5 years. we are starting an online business but im not goin to give you guys the scoop yet but once we are up and running, i will inform all. what are the priviledges my kid gets an a HALF CASTE? which good school can she attend?
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 8:09pm On May 24, 2007
privileges ko, special treatment ni.

You didnt give birth to the Messiah.

If anything people will just wanna play with her hair.

1 Like

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by pazuzu(f): 8:16pm On May 24, 2007
this is why i love nigerians. the sense of humor. okay, people should just stay away from the poor childs hair before they put juju on it. make me happy. any good schools in lagos for her to attend? any creche or pre school? i dont know what its called in nigeria.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by BlackMamba(m): 8:33pm On May 24, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:
It's quite irritating when you have jobless akatas running their mouths about a country they know nothing about.
Wealthy people get love and respect in Nigeria, not based on race.

I can understand your disgust for BigSis who rightly promotes the African American cause, but can't just live with the fact that Africans, irrespective of the colour semblance with AA, have different set of values.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 12:31am On May 25, 2007
@topic:

It seems that this thread has been a busy one! I hope you're getting the info you seek, pazuzu. I know I'm learning a lot!

@ThiefOfHearts:

What I mean is that your signature (with regard to nappy heads and red necks) is true on many levels. Is that what you were asking me? (By the way--what does "akata" mean?)
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:33am On May 25, 2007
Oh I just wanted to know what YOU got from my siggy tongue

akata is a black american. cheesy
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by drrionelli(m): 12:34am On May 25, 2007
Thank you!

Is "akata" a term for a male or a female? Is it a negative term or is it fairly neutral?
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:38am On May 25, 2007
it's unisex tongue

well really it's not negative as it just shows the difference between a Nigerian and a Black people in a foreign country but it can be used negatively against them.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Iman3(m): 12:40am On May 25, 2007
You people should stop using that term "akata".Its derogatory and a mockery of black people in general
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 12:44am On May 25, 2007
BlackMamba:

I can understand your disgust for BigSis who rightly promotes the African American cause, but can't just live with the fact that Africans, irrespective of the colour semblance with AA, have different set of values.

We have different values but the way we address them is not really helping anyone, it sort of lowers our 'value' we hold in high regard.

i posted this earlier.oga admin this isnt against the rule is it?
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:46am On May 25, 2007
I suggest you get over it, Iman.

They have no problem looking down on Africans (Lord knows what I went through in elementary school) so I have no problem saying a word that separates me from them.

I wish I gave a damn about whether or not the word offends them alas I don'tĀ  wink
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 12:49am On May 25, 2007
it would certainly be fun to be back in lagos. the men would think that my partner must have picked me up from the night club or picked me up from italy. we are actually moving to lagos for about 4 0r 5 years. we are starting an online business but im not goin to give you guys the scoop yet but once we are up and running, i will inform all. what are the priviledges my kid gets an a HALF CASTE? which good school can she attend?

Dont forget to buy a big generator when you land plus a big dish for your connection.

your kid will only get special treatment if you send her to a rubbish school
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:54am On May 25, 2007
Dis Guy:

your kid will only get special treatment if you send her to a rubbish school

That's true. Most decent schools arent impressed by such irrelevant issues.

1 Like

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ikamefa(f): 7:42pm On May 25, 2007
@ topic cre whaaaaaaaaaaaat " grin "

better find a good nanny! cheesy

there are good schools in 9ja you just need to find em!
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by sisimose(f): 7:56pm On May 25, 2007
pazuzu:

it would certainly be fun to be back in Lagos. the men would think that my partner must have picked me up from the night club or picked me up from italy. we are actually moving to lagos for about 4 0r 5 years. we are starting an online business but im not goin to give you guys the scoop yet but once we are up and running, i will inform all. what are the priviledges my kid gets an a HALF CASTE? which good school can she attend?

your post really bothers me cry why do you feel your child who happens to be mixed race should have special privileges?

1 Like

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by DisGuy: 8:45pm On May 25, 2007
some very good interesting schools around grin

Edidot College
Holy Ghost Juniorate
Infant Jesus Academy
Oluwole International School
Titsall Nursery and primary

Take your pick.

1 Like

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 8:46pm On May 25, 2007
Bigsis said,
Naijas are fascinated with lighter skinned people. So you will probably, through your husband, benefit from white privelege.
And that's what led to pazuzu's question. So please let's calm down. wink
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 8:46pm On May 25, 2007
your post really bothers me Cry why do you feel your child who happens to be mixed race should have special privileges?
Bigsis said,
Naijas are fascinated with lighter skinned people. So you will probably, through your husband, benefit from white privelege.
And that's what led to pazuzu's question. So please let's calm down. wink
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by easimoni(m): 9:06pm On May 25, 2007
ThiefOfHearts:

it's unisex tongue

well really it's not negative as it just shows the difference between a Nigerian and a Black people in a foreign country but it can be used negatively against them.

"Akata" translates into "Cotton Picker". It's a derogatory word used as a thinly veiled reminder of the slave trade heritage of most African Americans. It's no better than "Nigger" and you shouldn't use it regardless of how much you get taunted (been there, done that). Don't repay evil with evil.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:13pm On May 25, 2007
Lmao cotton picker ko, agbepo ni.

care to show me where you got the IDEA that it means "cotton picker"

By all means I would like sources, links, articles, whatever you can throw.

(1) (2)

Must A Guy Ask A Girl Out First? / Nigerian Man Revealed The Rashes Under A Lady That Share Hot Pictures. PHOTOS / Nigerian Men Aren't Romantic.... PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.