Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,553 members, 7,827,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? (17746 Views)

Reasons Why Many Guys Insist On Getting Into Ladies' Pants In Relationships / Interracial Relationships - Somalis + Caribbean And Somalis + Other Africans / Why Do Black Women Marry The Ugliest & Worst White Men In Interracial Marriages? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 25, 2007
Quote from: pazuzu on Yesterday at 08:02:29 PM
it would certainly be fun to be back in Lagos. the men would think that my partner must have picked me up from the night club or picked me up from italy. we are actually moving to lagos for about 4 0r 5 years. we are starting an online business but im not goin to give you guys the scoop yet but once we are up and running, i will inform all. what are the priviledges my kid gets an a HALF CASTE? which good school can she attend?

It's apparent you view yourself as being priviledged to be pregnant for a white man even though you both are not even married. Get over it, there are tons of half-caste kids we grew up with in our various towns who went to the same public and private schools we went.
Are there special priviledges for half caste kids in South Africa? Then what priviledges would you expect real white kids to have? Exclusive schooling at Aso Rock?

Get off your imaginary high horse and send your child to Obalende Grammer school!

1 Like

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:16pm On May 25, 2007
Lmao david

You cant really blame her though for thinking like that considering the rubbish that loon BigSis wrote to her.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:33pm On May 25, 2007
Naa, read through her first post.

Why is she "excited" to be coming to Nigeria with her white boyfriend? Why asking what people think of inter-racial couples? we've seen them a 100 times before. My parents didnt blow a horn and announce to their neighbours that i had a white girlfriend.

Would she be equally "excited" and comfortable if she were with a Nigerian boyfriend who has had a child with her but has refused to marry her ever since?

The statements we make sometimes are a snapshot into the kind of thoughts that run through our minds. It's clear she sees herself as "priviledged" to be blessed with a white boyfriend. Whether he marries her or not i'm sure she's thanking God everyday for giving her a daughter that is close to white (her passport into the white world) hence the reason for asking if she gets any special priviledges.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Iman3(m): 9:41pm On May 25, 2007
I wonder how long she has stayed in South Africa.In the old SA,there was a hierarchical order within which privileges were distributed  to the various colors.Blacks at the bottom,"half-castes" in the middle and Whites at the top.

The legacy of those privileges still exists  in today's SA and having become used to them in SA,she probably wonders whether she may obtain same in Naija.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 25, 2007
No problem, she has a half caste kid and she's asking for priviledges. Lets wait and see what real whites going to Nigeria will ask for. Maybe they will be entitled to living in the government house.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:18pm On May 25, 2007
Who are Nigerians that should make me decide whether I should live in their country or not because of a mixed marriage ?? grin
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:21pm On May 25, 2007
@ davidylan.

Live in Lagos ?? Hmm, not so sure about that one - maybe yesterday's Lagos but not today's.

Why not Abuja or do you want your oyinbo wife to suffer ??
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:33pm On May 25, 2007
@pazuzu, you were doing okay until you started asking about privileges.

Thanks to a well-established kleptocracy, poverty remains a big problem in Nigeria. The distribution of wealth and influence is so unevenly skewed that wealthy people are sometimes treated as demigods. Most whites in Nigeria, are there [s]to collude with the kleptocracy to further widen the gap between the rich and the poor[/s] for business, hence the pervasive perception that they are wealthy. This perception leads to something some refer to as "privilege" while others refer to as "sycophancy". Actually, the latter is more accurate.

When the white person interacts with the Nigerian in the public [s]when not shielded by their Nigerian collaborators in project "Wreck the Niggahood called Nigeria"[/s], especially when bargaining the price for goods (Nigerian art forms like sculptures, items of clothing, food items, etc.) or services (a hair cut, taxi fare, CSWs, etc.), he/she risks being swindled. This is not just a color issue but based on the perception that the "foreigner" is wealthy but gullible.

This perception has contributed (and still contributes) to the success of many "419 men" or "yahoo boys" in extorting huge sums of money from the white man. In my experience, this view (not fraud but the view that wealth and gullibility come in the same package, especially among white foreigners) is almost unique to Nigerians.

So, as is said in Ajegunle, shine your eyes well!
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:51am On May 26, 2007
frosbel:

@ davidylan.

Live in Lagos ?? Hmm, not so sure about that one - maybe yesterday's Lagos but not today's.

Why not Abuja or do you want your oyinbo wife to suffer ??

naa, going back to Nigeria my heart tilts towards Calabar. . . close to oil money and Tinapa grin
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by kellorah: 1:00am On May 26, 2007
''safe''
no where IS safe undecided

come to nigeria and see for yourself. you'll LOVE it.
it's good business wise.
we need people like you to make it more interesting for foreigners when they come to visit, so they can keep coming wink
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:08am On May 26, 2007
kellorah:

we need people like you to make it more interesting for foreigners when they come to visit, so they can keep coming wink

err madam KC, do we really need interracial couples to make Nigeria more interesting for foreigners? Are you saying our black skin is what is making Africa boring for the white man? I tire for our self esteem o! shocked

1 Like

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by kellorah: 1:21am On May 26, 2007
i was referring to her business  shocked

but now u mentioned it, it'll show we are not racists-at all!!  wink
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by mooretes: 5:06am On May 26, 2007
that is not true! how would you say 'Nigerians would think you got picked up in a night club' if you were dating a white guy? Unless of course that is the case here. But if it isnt, then, I see no reason for your concern. The only thing is boyfriend?!!?!!!?!!! Sweetie, you can do better than dat, what about 'Marriage'? I do believe in that than you living together but its not my problem now is it? Im seeing a white guy, would love to come to Nigeria anytime soon and interracial rship is the least of peoples worries in Nigeria as far as I know plus if your parents say its ok, then you've got nothing to worry about.

We all know that the decision as to who we are with is solely ours n not the worlds, is it? I wish you all the best

hmm! im quite reconsidering this you know, to b honest what difft does it make if you are with a white person, your child is a molato or, ? I see no point in this thread, its just a way of rubbing it in peoples faces, n lets b honest, no one is difft white, blue, black grey we are all thesame

1 Like

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by mooretes: 5:08am On May 26, 2007
that is not true! how would you say 'Nigerians would think you got picked up in a night club' if you were dating a white guy? Unless of course that is the case here. But if it isnt, then, I see no reason for your concern. The only thing is boyfriend?!!?!!!?!!! Sweetie, you can do better than dat, what about 'Marriage'? I do believe in that than you living together but its not my problem now is it? Im seeing a white guy, would love to come to Nigeria anytime soon and interracial rship is the least of peoples worries in Nigeria as far as I know plus if your parents say its ok, then you've got nothing to worry about.

We all know that the decision as to who we are with is solely ours n not the worlds, is it? I wish you all the best

hmm! im quite reconsidering this you know, to b honest what difference does it make if you are with a white person, your child is a molato or, ? I see no point in this thread, its just a way of rubbing it in peoples faces, n lets b honest, no one is difft white, blue, black grey we are all thesame, its like this is a joke or more like you bragging about it
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by pmdaboh(f): 5:11am On May 26, 2007
Hello.  I enjoyed the topic, for I am an African American woman married to a Nigerian man.  He and my stepson will join me in the states soon.  One thing I noticed that most of the responses, concerning "mixed couples" only dealt with the "black and white" issue.  There are many more mixed couples than an African woman and a White man.  Believe it or not, I, being an African American woman, have caught much negativity simply because my husband is a Nigerian.  In America, I have been questioned, doubted, and even rejected due to whom I love.  Yes, our skin color is the same (I am a bit lighter than him but brown-skinned none the less), but because I am African American and he is a Nigerian, we still face many of the things that an African woman with a White man will face.  Except in our case, many believe that he is the one benefiting from my American status, for I am his "ticket" to America.  Never mind we just love one another, want to be together, and want to share our lives together.  Many African Americans feel he is blessed to have me (the American), but I am equally blessed to have his love and devotion.  I was questioned, many times before coming to Lagos, Nigeria to marry him, "why marry an African man . . .!"  It is so odd.  In Nigeria, I am very respected and looked up to for marrying a Nigerian man; however, in America, I am looked down on (by some and more than enough) for marrying a Nigerian man.   While I was in Nigeria (during my wedding and honeymoon), Nigerians felt that since I am African American, the family's status was lifted to a higher level.  It did not matter that my skin color, as was said, is brown-skinned, just because I am African American, and my husband is Nigerian, it was like "he had arrived".

So, you see there are many "mixed couples", and various reasons why people like, or do not like, the fact that they are together.  In America, mixed couples and mixed children are very common.  One of my brothers is married to an Italian girl, and my other brother is married to a Jamacian girl.  My two nephews have babies by white girls.  So you see, in America, it is so common.  My family heritage is mixed with Black Foot Indian, Irish, and African.  In Nigeria, seeing  mixed couples, might take some getting use to it, but in America it is really no "big deal".

But whether someone excepts or ejects you, you have to live your own life.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by mooretes: 5:20am On May 26, 2007
expatriate:
An expatriate (in abbreviated form expat) is someone temporarily or permanently in a country and culture other than that of their upbringing and/or legal residence. The word comes for the Latin ex (out of) and patria (country), and is sometimes misspelt as ex-patriot, due to its pronunciation.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expatriates

dont let urself think its some other issues
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by ikamefa(f): 5:24am On May 26, 2007
pmdaboh:

Hello. , I am very respected and looked up to for marrying a Nigerian man;

its not in our culture to disrespect foreigners 9jerians are very accommodating grin grin

pmdaboh:

[color=#000099 Nigerians felt that since I am African American, the family's status was lifted to a higher level. It did not matter that my skin color, as was said, is brown-skinned, just because I am African American, and my husband is Nigerian, it was like "he had arrived".

hummmm depends on the kind of family you were marrying into ,and their social and economic status

pmdaboh:

H
. In Nigeria, seeing mixed couples, might take some getting use to it, but in America it is really no "big deal".

what is there to get used to? its not a new phenomenon ,its been happening even before @topic was born

mixed marriages abound in Nigeria, a lot our sons and daughter go outside the shores of Nigeria errday and they bring home foreign women or men as their wives or husbands its not something new abeg !
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Iskwew(f): 6:43am On May 26, 2007
[color=#000099][/color][i][/i]Woa! I think the lady was just asking about the general climate in Lagos in interracial relationships. By the time I got to the end of the post, it felt like y'all were bashing her because everyone wanted to apply their own semantics to her innocent and excited question. Why is this? I have always found Nigerians to be very warm and accomodating people, but someones the courtesy and respect that Nigerians are so well known for is rather set aside here. Give the lady a break and welcome her to Nigeria for pete sakes!
~Iskwew

1 Like

Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by pazuzu(f): 11:19am On May 26, 2007
seun, thank you for coming to my rescue. i was about to be eaten alive. guys, please don't get me wrong. im not saying my child is special but lets be honest, people are fascinated when there is  a child between an interracial couple. my best friend is from ghana and her daughter has long straight hair to the middle of her back like a teenage white girl and black south africans still ask her daughter where and who her mother is. they think my friend is the maid who takes care of her for a lighter skinned woman.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by pazuzu(f): 11:29am On May 26, 2007
iskew, thank you for coming to my rescue. i asked an innocent questions and i have been bashed like i have commmited a crime. the question about the priviledges was a bloody joke. pls guys calm down and try not to burst a vein. i have lived here for 5 years.
Re: How Are Interracial Relationships Viewed In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 11:30am On May 26, 2007
Saying that will only lead to more "indignation". My "children" aren't so reasonable. I'll have to lock the thread.

(1) (2)

Nigerian Man Revealed The Rashes Under A Lady That Share Hot Pictures. PHOTOS / Must A Guy Ask A Girl Out First? / Nigerian Men Aren't Romantic.... PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.