Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,790 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (25173 Views)

Benue: Fr. Alia Presents Certificate Of Return To Tor Tiv And Ochi’idoma / Question: Which Is The Most Populous Ethnic Group In Rivers State? / Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 12:31pm On Oct 31, 2019
Lol! The sins of Igboman is unpardonable. He is condemned for acting and for not acting. He can't catch a breath.

He decides to look after his brothers. People say he is too tribalist and hateful of others. Other groups do same, we are told that those groups are sophisticated and play better politics.

The Igbo decides to not embrace his own brothers, but to embrace outsiders whose interest aligned with his, like Jim against Ekwueme in PDP primaries of 1999. People will say Igbos are foolish and will remain backward in politics, because they cannot act as one. Others do same, they are praised for being detribalized and being pan Nigerian.

You see, it's a case the man, his wife and the horse. There is no winning the Nigerian prejudice for that Igbo man. The enlightened ones among us know this, hence our violently Igboist stand. We are never going to please our prejudiced detractors, why waste effort on such stupid venture when we can invest in fortifying the Igbo nation against their prejudice by establishing a very visible line between us and them and then defending those lines vigorously.

Someone said Igbo not speaking Igbo language outside Igboland is a mark of inferiority complex.
You see the issue we are dealing with.
If as Igbo you start speaking Igbo outside Igboland with another Igbo and in midst of other non Igbos, the Non Igbos become apprehensive and feel threatened,you will be accused of being tribal with sinister plans. I have been a victim of this many times. Their mood change whenever I see an Igbo and start speaking with him in Igbo. But when other non natives do same, no one feel threatened.
Nigerians have carefully created a scenario where the Igbo must be guilty no matter what he does. Guilty of not being united if tries to play non tribal politics, and guilty of being tribalists should he play tribal politics. Guilty of being a supremacist and not integrating with host communities,and having sinister plans should he insist on communicating in Igbo language outside Igbo land.
Guilty of having inferiority complex and not liking Igbo language if he decides to converse in English or his host language instead of Igbo.

It's a lose-lose situation for an Igbo man as long as Nigeria is concerned,the blame game has been rigged to always make sure he has something to apologize for. This is why I remain strongly anti Nigeria and pro Igbo(Biafra).

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by 9jakool: 10:17pm On Oct 31, 2019
pazienza:
Lol! The sins of Igboman is unpardonable. He is condemned for acting and for not acting. He can't catch a breath.

He decides to look after his brothers. People say he is too tribalist and hateful of others. Other groups do same, we are told that those groups are sophisticated and play better politics.

The Igbo decides to not embrace his own brothers, but to embrace outsiders whose interest aligned with his, like Jim against Ekwueme in PDP primaries of 1999. People will say Igbos are foolish and will remain backward in politics, because they cannot act as one. Others do same, they are praised for being detribalized and being pan Nigerian.

You see, it's a case the man, his wife and the horse. There is no winning the Nigerian prejudice for that Igbo man. The enlightened ones among us know this, hence our violently Igboist stand. We are never going to please our prejudiced detractors, why waste effort on such stupid venture when we can invest in fortifying the Igbo nation against their prejudice by establishing a very visible line between us and them and then defending those lines vigorously.

Someone said Igbo not speaking Igbo language outside Igboland is a mark of inferiority complex.
If as Igbo you start speaking Igbo outside Igboland with another Igbo and in midst of other non Igbos, the Non Igbos become apprehensive and feel threatened,you will be accused of being tribal with sinister plans. I have been a victim of this many times. Their mood change whenever I see an Igbo and start speaking with him in Igbo. But when other non natives do same, no one feel threatened.
Nigerians have carefully created a scenario where the Igbo must be guilty no matter what he does. Guilty of not being united if tries to play non tribal politics, and guilty of being tribalists should he play tribal politics. Guilty of being a supremacist and not integrating with host communities,and having sinister plans should he insist on communicating in Igbo language outside Igbo land.
Guilty of having inferiority complex and not liking Igbo language if he decides to converse in English or his host language instead of Igbo.

It's a lose-lose situation for an Igbo man as long as Nigeria is concerned,the blame game has been rigged to always make sure he has something to apologize for. This is why I remain strongly anti Nigeria and pro Igbo(Biafra).

Good for you! I get it. If you can't have what you want, then you must drag everyone to the bottom of the pit with you. If we are being pragmatic, it's possible the destruction you hope for may not even happen in your lifetime. The people you despise and wish destruction upon are not the same people you should expect to turn around and help you. A dream without action is nothing but a dream. That being said, it's hypocritical for a tribalist to post finger at another. You participate in the system, so you are the very same thing that you oppose.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:23am On Nov 03, 2019
GODMALE:
Yoruba's are the largest follow by Hausa then Fulani before Igbos.

Fact

How about your Edo people

Don't they count?

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 8:41am On Nov 03, 2019
garfield1:

Sorry sir,the ibibios or generally akwa ibom tribes have the highest birth rate in the south.these people are almost exclusively monogamous unlike the urhobos who love polygamy.again,it is very common to see a young akwa ibom girl unmarried with 4-7 kids.these people just love the sight of kids and dislike abortion.

Hmm, are u sure about this? I really don't know the Ibibio family values very well.
You usually hear all these Warri comedians tell you about how they were born 10 children in one room and their sisters also gave birth to additional children in that same room with their parents. Well, this is the reality in many Urhobo families. Although it is gradually changing.

If you notice, Urhobos never appeared among any of the top minority groups in all the colonial ethnic censuses, but today they are very many. This clearly explains the effect of their population explosion through high birthrates in the past few decades.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 9:04am On Nov 03, 2019
Igbosmoker:
hmm yet the Benin's are far more progressive than most of other minority tribe with higher population.

With a small size of 10,400 square killometers

Hmm, I don't think I agree with this statement.
Most southern minority groups are as progressive as each other.
I am trying hard to see how Benins are better than Urhobos, Esans, Ijaws, Ibibios e.t.c, but I really cannot see it.
Yes, Benins travel abroad a lot, but prostitution was the major reason many of them were travelling out initially.
Benins bring so much negative stereotypes to the South-South, like Witchcraft and prostitution which they are known for. How progressive is this?

Urhobos have produced the most succesful comedians in Nigeria.
The owner of AIT & Channels Television are both Afemais. Sliverbird an Ijaw. The best musicians from the SS are Ijaw & Urhobo. For the actors, it is evenly balanced across the SS.
Esan people are more enterprising among SS tribes.

Look at Benin city, inspite of the huge diaspora population they posses, there is no strong innovation there compared to other Nigerian cities who do not have a huge diaspora.

This is why I say I am really trying hard to see the aspect in which Benins are more progressive than other SS minorities but I cannot.

Apart from Benson Idahosa, I am yet to see anybody of high reputation to have come out of Benin land. Even the Benson Idahosa, I heard he is an Ika (Igbo) speaking minority from Igbanke axis and not a pure Benin.

Infact if care is not taken, middlebelt tribes like Idoma & Igala can outcompete Benins.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 9:09am On Nov 03, 2019
Yujin:

Well I was silent on the religious dichotomy of the Yorubas being a contributing factor to their major loss because I know that most Yoruba Muslims killed were actually killed by their fellow Hausa/fulani Muslims. All Christians( settlers and indigenes) hardly attack Yoruba Muslims except in the case where the particular Yoruba was found assisting the Hausa/Fulanis in the attacks. So it still was majorly a one sided attack. Their failure to stand up and defend their territory was sadly their undoing.
You see, one Yoruba here was yapping on how Igbos don't integrate in the north but he failed to realize that integration could be in various levels. To the Hausa and fulanis, integration means joining them to do whatever they're doing even if it is wrong. Yoruba Muslims who though copy Hausas in almost everything but fail to join in the attacks are those either killed or chased away. Those who join in the attacks ended up being killed. Is that what integration is all about? We( I and my friends some of who are Igbos) always joined in the Izere people cultural festival that involves the painting of faces are moving around Jos with dangerous weapons without having to hurt anyone. I can't remember the name of that festival now. We use to chant something like this: ' arom bara, arom batsang x2- yei ni shosh. The drums were loud and rhythmic. It was fun. Even some Yoruba boys used to join. The only people who don't join are the Hausa and fulanis. In fact they detest it but someone here will tell me Igbos don't integrate.

Nice one.
Igbos integrate too, amongst northern christians (Jos & Kaduna) and parts of Yoruba.

Igbos do not integrate with Hausa fulanis because of religion and this is very understandable.

Yoruba muslims are attacked by christians in the north sometimes, but not all the time.
Or are you saying that if a vehicle of Hausa & Yoruba muslims is intercepted in a christian area during crisis, then the Yoruba muslims will be spared?

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 9:28am On Nov 03, 2019
Nowenuse:

Hmm, are u sure about this? I really don't know the Ibibio family values very well.
You usually hear all these Warri comedians tell you about how they were born 10 children in one room and their sisters also gave birth to additional children in that same room with their parents. Well, this is the reality in many Urhobo families. Although it is gradually changing.

If you notice, Urhobos never appeared among any of the top minority groups in all the colonial ethnic censuses, but today they are very many. This clearly explains the effect of their population explosion through high birthrates in the past few decades.
You see,you are following verbal hearsays from comedians and thirdparties and not eye witness account.me i live among ibibios so i know.in calabar and ph,half of my neighbors are ibibios.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 9:28am On Nov 03, 2019
Nowenuse:

Hmmm
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 9:30am On Nov 03, 2019
Nowenuse:

I am trying hard to see how Benins are better than Urhobos, Esans, Ijaws, Ibibios e.t.c, but I really cannot see it.
Yes, Benins travel abroad a lot, but prostitution was the major reason many of them were travelling out initially.
Benins bring so much negative stereotypes to the South-South, like Witchcraft and prostitution which they are known for. How progressive is this?

The owner of AIT & Channels Television are both Afemais. Sliverbird an Ijaw. The best musicians from the SS are Ijaw & Urhobo. For the actors, it is evenly balanced across the SS.

Look at Benin city, inspite of the huge diaspora population they posses, there is no strong innovation there compared to other Nigerian cities who do not have a huge diaspora.

This is why I say I am really trying hard to see the aspect in which Benins are more progressive than other SS minorities but I cannot.

Apart from Benson Idahosa, I am yet to see anybody of high reputation to have come out of Benin land. Even the Benson Idahosa, I heard he is an Ika (Igbo) speaking minority from Igbanke axis and not a pure Benin.

Infact if care is not taken, middlebelt tribes like Idoma & Igala can outcompete Benins.
Billionaires like gabriel igbinedion and a certain osagie
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:16am On Nov 03, 2019
Nowenuse:

like someone said on this thread you're are just a benin hater.

Which one is "prostitution is the major reasons Benin's travel out"? So over 300,00 Benin's abroad are in prostitution? We can also agree illegal drugs are the reason Igbo's travel out and fraud is the reason Yoruba travel out of Nigeria.

You mention negative things about Benin's like witchcraft but failed to mention ijaws are known for militancy and drunkenness.

When o said Benin's are the most progressive minority tribes it included all the minority tribes both Fulani,tiv,idoma etc.

Ijaw, urhobo, Ibibio have and control over 90% of Nigeria oil but what have they achieved with it? Nothing.

Okay let's look at Edo south(Benin region)

Airport is present
Federal university
Stadium
Museum
Many states polytechnic
World class hospital
Eateries own by Benin's
Super markets

Don't forget they control Nigeria rubber, palm oil industries and many multi national companies are present there.

I challenge you to mention any minority with these development in their region
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:12am On Nov 03, 2019
Igbosmoker:

Which one is "prostitution is the major reasons Benin's travel out"? So over 300,00 Benin's abroad are in prostitution? We can also agree illegal drugs are the reason Igbo's travel out and fraud is the reason Yoruba travel out of Nigeria.

You mention negative things about Benin's like witchcraft but failed to mention ijaws are known for militancy and drunkenness.

When o said Benin's are the most progressive minority tribes it included all the minority tribes both Fulani,tiv,idoma etc.

Ijaw, urhobo, Ibibio have and control over 90% of Nigeria oil but what have they achieved with it? Nothing.

Airport is present
Federal university
Stadium
Museum
Many states polytechnic
World class hospital
Eateries own by Benin's
Super markets

Don't forget they control Nigeria rubber, palm oil industries and many multi national companies are present there.

You explain well good man but must you attach Igbo to balance your point even when there is no need for that.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:13am On Nov 03, 2019
MelesZenawi:

You explain well good man but must you attach Igbo to balance your point even when there is no need for that.
sorry just wanted to make a point
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 12:48pm On Nov 03, 2019
Nowenuse:

Nice one.
Igbos integrate too, amongst northern christians (Jos & Kaduna) and parts of Yoruba.

Igbos do not integrate with Hausa fulanis because of religion and this is very understandable.

Yoruba muslims are attacked by christians in the north sometimes, but not all the time.
Or are you saying that if a vehicle of Hausa & Yoruba muslims is intercepted in a christian area during crisis, then the Yoruba muslims will be spared?
You see some attacks are circumstantial. If for instance a vehicle bearing both Hausa and Yoruba Muslims are stopped, the safety of the Yoruba there depends on his appearance and ability to convince the mob. If his appearance is too Islamic than the average Yoruba looks, then it becomes hard for him to escape. If on the other hand he looks the usual Yoruba looks and claims to be a Christian despite he's a Muslim, he will be spared. See most Christians are not quick to shed blood. The propensity to kill only increase after losing loved ones. During such crisis, majority of Yoruba Muslims still feel safe among Christians. There was a particular situation where a Yoruba Muslim who ran to a camp of the Christians which happen to be a church compound. When it was time for Muslim prayer, he brought out his kettle to do ablution and many people there scolded him asking him why he had run away from his religious brothers to come there. He was asked to either stop the ablution or go meet his Islamic brothers.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 8:26pm On Nov 05, 2019
Yujin:

Most of what you wrote here is true but I'll have to correct some wrong assumptions.

I admire your reply to issues from a very rational perspective, unlike people like Pazienza who are emotional wrecks grin Dialogue has always been one of the most powerful tools of human existence. People like Pazienza if they become the leaders of a group of people can easily lead those people to quick destruction due to emotions. If he is your friend, you really have to talk to him cos his mindset will do no good for your people.
People have labelled me an Igbo man here on nairaland times without number cos I am very pro Igbo compared to the other 3 major ethnic groups. I strongly believe that my people from the middlebelt/northern christians, the Niger deltans and Igbos really need to work together in order to chart a new course as our interests are alligned one way or the other.

As to language inferiority, it is not true. Igbos don't feel inferior speaking their language freely. You fail to realize the level of psychological suppression the Nigerian government placed on the Igbos. There's this look that great Igbos whenever they speak their language outside the territory they dominate especially in the north and no one can tell what can happen to him or her after identifying yourself through your language hence most of them speak English coupled with the accusations against Igbos of trying to force others to speak their language.

Well, I think you have a very good point with this. I might have used the wrong word in describing this situation. I never meant it in an insulting way. Oftentimes, I have praised this attribute of Igbos because it is one which is more accomodating of outsiders into their circle. Like I said, when I was in university, my closest circle of friends were Igbos, but whenever I was in their midst, they spoke English among themselves to accomodate me. If it were Yorubas or Hausas, they would never do that.
However, I don't think this attribute lies solely on the reason you stated above.
Times without number, you hear Igbos complain of how the Igbo language is dying, even in the Igbo home land and not outside. I have seen Igbos who were born and bred in the east, but claim that their parents only spoke English to them at home.
To me, I see it that Igbos have the highest propensity for Westernization and to embrace Western values among the big 3 tribes, probably because of their being 100% christians.
Otherwise, how do you also explain the fact that Igbos give english names to their children compared to Yoruba christians?

Did you notice that until recently, most Igbo musicians of contemporary music rather infuse Yoruba or Hausa into their music? It is because of what I told you. Do you notice even in the clothes most Igbo politicians and celebs wear until recent? It is because of the same thing. The moment an Igbo man tries to assert his own culture, he becomes a suspect and is termed dominating.
Like I said, there is strong truth in this. People tend to be very suspecting of the Igbo man compared to the other big 3 tribes and this suspicion comes from stereotypes, some of which have some foundation of truth and some of which are lies which have been propagated for decades by the Yoruba-dominated media.
Social media has come to expose most of these agelong lies. For example, most Nigerians somehow have this belief that Igbos are into ritual killings the most, however it has been proven that Yorubas are the masters here. I always correct people on this notion.

Secondly, I think the average Igbo musician of before may be putting more Yoruba & Hausa words in their music because they were not born and bred in Igbo land. Check a lot of succesful Igbo musicians today, they were not born and bred in Igbo land. The likes of Flavour & Phyno who are unapologetically Igbos in their music were born and bred in Igbo land. This is a major contributing factor.
Another thing is the longtime domination and the presence of the music industry in Yoruba land (Lagos). Even musicians from the Niger delta and the Middlebelt had to to infuse Yoruba words into their music. And as we can see today, everyone puts all the major languages in their music. Wizkid, Davido, Rema e.t.c put Igbo words in their music and they are not Igbos.

As for discrimination, my people do this a lot and as you rightly pointed out, it is not specific to others. We even do it to ourselves which is most worrisome. Hopefully, we will get over it soon. I believe it is born out of our highly competitive nature.
You see Pazienza is my friend, brother and comrade but in this particular case I'll fault him although I understand his fears.
Hmm, I understand the fears of Igbos too to an extent and that is why I always call them out for being very emotional. So many times on social media, I have seen Igbos celebrate killings in the middlebelt, claiming it is a retribution for what we did to them during the civil war. The average person from my region may react and even hate Igbos more for saying something like that, but I will never do that because I understand where these people are coming from.

I lived in Jos and the relationship with the natives was not all rosy as we had to tolerate a lot too from unwarranted name callings to outright abuses but we were able to look at the brighter side and didn't have to condemn the indigenes. We noticed that ignorance was a huge reason for the numerous misrepresentations which most of you fail to factor in when Igbos are being discussed. After some events, most of them(natives) were apologizing to us for their actions and rightly blamed it on ignorance. We had no choice but to forgive.
You see, you and I seem to have a better understanding of people on both sides perhaps because we lived outside our homelands. This is one problem Nigeria has. Citizens who grew up and live most of their lives within their ethnic homelands tend to be more myopic, sentimental and unreasonable when dealing with others.
I lived most of my life in the south, with Niger deltan minorities and Igbos. I also have my good and bad stories to tell.

It still doesn't mean that once in a while I don't get to see some Plateau indigenes who hate Igbos but I know better to isolate those instances from the pervading present situation. The fear of a relapse in critical times is what Pazienza fears hence still painting you all in one brush. I can assure you that Igbos are a very nice people who unfortunately are sending most times the wrong vibes. Igbo are republicans and that makes them to have independent mindsets. Meet the positive minded one and enjoy a world hard to see. Meet the negative one, and have your heart filled with pains.
You don't need to tell me this. I have met and lived with good and bad Igbos. An Igbo guy from Ebonyi was a foster child to my parents. We were church members so he moved into our home and lived with us for almost 10 years. He even followed us down to our village in Plateau state and knows us through & through. Living in a place like Delta state, you cannot escape the influence and presence of Igbos, so I think I have seen the good, the bad and the ugly to a great extent.

As a people, we can hardly fit into the description most of you expect because it's never going to happen. See someone like Aguiyi Ironsi who would never listen to the advice of his fellow Igbo brothers to make his security aides to be from his own people but rather chose to remain professional. It cost him his life and placed all Igbos where we are today. See someone like Nzeogwu who everyone believes had a genuine plan for Nigeria but was betrayed by Ifeajuna who was so selfish. See someone like Ojukwu who I believed was the most misunderstood man of all. He sacrificed a lot from being pro Nigeria to having to lead a brutalized people at a very young age. Wealth was never a problem for him and he was on his way up the ladder to personal fame. He would have been a great leader if he had led a country. He was highly pan African and know the prejudice Africans faced. See how divers minded we are but to you all, we collectively want to dominate you. This is why I choose Biafra over Nigeria because that suspicion will always be there and Igbos will never change into the description most of you expect. Do you see what happened during the days SE dominated the Senate Presidency? It was all individual assertions. If Igbos are rightly integrated into Nigeria, all that's needed is for others to support the particular Igbo man against another suspected of being too ethnocentric. But thinking to suppress all Igbos simply because some of them appeared domineering will see to the continues rejection of Nigeria just as it stands today. If all Igbos were dominating like most you think, then we would have dominated all the surrounding minority tribes around us but it hasn't been so.

In Nigeria, nobody can really fit into anybody's description of who they want him to be.
All Nigerians are tired of Fulanis, but are they willing to change in order to accomodate the rest of us?

What we are saying is that nothing goes for nothing in life and there is no smoke without a fire.
Igbos never want to take blames for their actions and inactions.
If I see my contemporary enjoying something that I am not, instead of witch-hunting him, I could try to see what he is doing and I am not.

As a northern minority, I and fellow minds have sat down to analyze what the southern minorities have done and are still doing that gives them better national representation compared to us. And based on this, we have come up with tangible solutions.

Why don't we sit down and cry all day blaming the colonial masters who tried to forcefully Hausanize and Islamize us in connivance with the caliphate for the sake of administrative convenience? Southern minorities never experienced forceful colonial assisted Igbonization or Yorubanization. They never experienced indirect rule unlike us whose independent ethnic groups were forced under the rulership of islamic emirates.

Southern minorities have oil which also makes them very relevant.

However, we do not sit down to cry about this misfortune and to hate and witch-hunt all other Nigerians for our predicament.

Truly, Igbos have shown themselves to be more accomodating and supportive of others politically, and this to a large extent has rallied most Nigerian minorities to their side politically.
Most Southern minorities and Northern minorities now vote in the same line with Igbos and these people will readily support an Igbo candidate over a Yoruba or Hausa candidate.

If a war should ensue in Nigeria today between the Igbos and Hausas or Yorubas, most minorities will readily support Igbos over the other two.
For the subject of Biafra/seccession, I see absolutely nothing wrong in this agitation. Infact, I support it and in the nearest future, I hope to influence my people to support it too.

Southern minorities (except Edo people) know deep down in their hearts that Igbos are their best allies in Nigeria, but the thought of having a new country with Igbos never sits down well with them because of fear of the unknown and past memories of living under Igbo rule and domination in the old Eastern region.

From what I see, only the support of Middlebelt minorities for Biafra can give the Niger deltans a trust for Biafra, as they would no longer see absolute Igbo domination of the movement.

3 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 8:35pm On Nov 05, 2019
pazienza:

Stop being a petty emotional sissy.
Go and read Yujin's comments and see how he engages other non Igbos in debates in a more mature and healthy way.

You need to grow up mentally.

Besides, nobody is saying you should be pro Nigeria. I am very much Anti Nigeria too, but I am not anti-Nigerians. There is a big difference between the two.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 8:44pm On Nov 05, 2019
garfield1:

You see,you are following verbal hearsays from comedians and thirdparties and not eye witness account.me i live among ibibios so i know.in calabar and ph,half of my neighbors are ibibios.

Well, have you lived with the Urhobos? I'm not talking of one or 2 urhobos you meet occasionally in PH. I'm talking of living in an Urhobo community.

Like I said, the fact that Urhobos were never seen among the list of top minority ethnic groups in colonial censuses but today are a large minority ethnic group clearly shows you the extent of their population explosion through high birthrates in recent decades.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 8:56pm On Nov 05, 2019
Mr Nowenuse please point the publication by any Yoruba media that tagged igbos ritualist.

Or all the ways you keep slendering Yorubas for no reason without any prove on this thread from the onset i.e. calling Yorubas cowards or backstabbers etc.

If you like be igbo friendly or anything you feel like tagging yourself, but please stop slendering the names of the Yorubas we are not your problem.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 9:33pm On Nov 05, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Mr Nowenuse please point the publication by any Yoruba media that tagged igbos ritualist.

Or all the ways you keep slendering Yorubas for no reason without any prove on this thread from the onset i.e. calling Yorubas cowards or backstabbers etc.

If you like be igbo friendly or anything you feel like tagging yourself, but please stop slendering the names of the Yorubas we are not your problem.

Lol, what you are asking me to do is just like asking me to point to the publication that claims that Yorubas are the most educated tribe in Nigeria.

Not until the rise of social media, most Nigerians believed and still till today believe that Yorubas are more educated than Igbos. However, social media has heavily disproved that.

I am actually pro-everybody and anti-everybody. I never fail to point out the merits and demerits of every ethnic group in Nigeria.
Am I not the same person praising yorubas for being very accommodating and criticizing Igbos on this same thread?

I belong to everybody and I belong to nobody (in Buhari's voice grin).

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 9:47pm On Nov 05, 2019
Nowenuse:

Lol, what you are asking me to do is just like asking me to point to the publication that claims that Yorubas are the most educated tribe in Nigeria.

Not until the rise of social media, most Nigerians believed and still till today believe that Yorubas are more educated than Igbos. However, social media has heavily disproved that.

I am actually pro-everybody and anti-everybody. I never fail to point out the merits and demerits of every ethnic group in Nigeria.
Am I not the same person praising yorubas for being very accommodating and criticizing Igbos on this same thread?

@ embloden

Please point to any fact that suggest that igbos are actually more educated than Yorubas.

If people believed Yorubas are more educated. it is because Yorubas actually dominated the education sector in the early days of Nigerian history and we were actually the first to produce most educational professionals like First Nigerian Lawyer and doctors. Even my family produced the first woman professor of law and the first female senator in Nigeria.

We also had the free education which Awolowo championed.

We also housed the first university in Nigeria.

Please tell me any of those that the social media have busted as fake news or not true.

And we don't need anyone praises or validation, we are quite fine the way we are.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:01pm On Nov 05, 2019
Nowenuse:

@boldes.... lolzzz

My brother that was the days of Lagos-ibadan express newspaper oooooo.

They peddled all forms of lies, fake publication....name it.......

Educated but all parastatal then even universities in the early days wasn't headed by them. Even huasa moved faster.

Ask why they are angry today because the express news has been defeated and killed to eternity.. ...

Social media really messed their lies up.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 1:04am On Nov 06, 2019
Nowenuse:

Stop being a petty emotional sissy.
Go and read Yujin's comments and see how he engages other non Igbos in debates in a more mature and healthy way.

You need to grow up mentally.

Besides, nobody is saying you should be pro Nigeria. I am very much Anti Nigeria too, but I am not anti-Nigerians. There is a big difference between the two.

I exposed you and your kind hypocrisy, and this is your rebuttal?

Nothing emotional about my post. It's actually a pragmatic post made with intent to harden the hearts of Ndiigbos against anything non Igbo in Nigeria, their opinions and sentiments towards us. Because, it simply doesn't matter.

What matters is what we make out of ourselves.

6 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Kpoikpoi: 1:13am On Nov 06, 2019
Nowenuse:

This statistic is absolute bullshit. There is no way in hell Hausas & fulanis combined can equal the population of Yorubas & Igbos combined, let alone only Hausa being equal to Yoruba & Igbo combined.

Also, muslims can never be the majority in Nigeria.
In Southern Nigeria, only in Oyo & Osun states are muslims up to half/more of the population, meanwhile you have Northern Nigeria where Benue, Plateau, Taraba and FCT are predominantly/overwhemingly christian, and Kogi, Nasarawa, Adamawa & Kaduna states as around a 50/50. Then Borno, Kebbi, Niger, Gombe & Kwara who have at least 25-40% of it's population as christian.

With this, how on earth can muslims be a majority in Nigeria? Americans should shove up that stupid and useless statistics up their asses.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Kpoikpoi: 1:17am On Nov 06, 2019
What are you arguing about?
The Igbos are the third most populous but they can't produce a president but the Ijaws are minorities and have produced the president for 5 years.
Population doesn't matter.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 1:11pm On Nov 06, 2019
Igbosmoker:

Airport is present
Federal university
Stadium
Museum
Many states polytechnic
World class hospital
Eateries own by Benin's
Super markets

I never said all the Benins overseas were into prostitution. What I said was that prostitution was the original intent for the majority of your ladies who travelled abroad. Or do you want to dispute this?
Most of them after prostituting their way to financial freedom of course begin normal lives, get married, have children, invite their siblings over through more legal means and some even become very successful there.

Igbos and Yorubas mostly travelled abroad for education and asylum seeking. Those who travel for drugs and internet fraud are in the minority and began later on after the first set.

Edo ladies are now taking prostitution to other west african nations like Mali, Ghana, Burkina Faso e.t.c or will you deny this one too?

Benin became a large urban center largely because it was the first capital city of an independent minority region (since 1964). No sane mind will ever attribute it to an innovative nature from the Benin natives. Otherwise, with all the Benin diaspora, how well is the city faring today when it comes to innovation?

You are listing airports, federal universities, museum. Things built by the federal and state govts which other states also have? Even Jigawa state which most Nigerians cannot locate on a map has an international airport that is far superior to the Benin airport.

There are 2 private universities in Benin land and this is the only area I'd say the Benins are trying, however one of them is owned by the corrupt Igbenedion family. This family also owns Kada (the now 2nd best shopping mall/eatery/cinema).
Market square which is owned by an Anioma man is now the number 1 destination in Benin.
Filmhouse cinemas & Nadia Bakery/shopping mall in Uniben area are not owned by Benins.
Phil Hallmark is the only reputable venture I know in Benin owned by a Benin man who doesn't have questionable money.

Maybe you can list the reputable ventures established by the Benin diaspora.

I lived in Benin for almost 10 years and I usually see these Benin diaspora who sometimes return home. You find them with dirty bleached skin and tattoos, ear rings and multiple piercings in their ears, nose and mouth. That is all they do.
Of course, there are reasonable ones among them, but the unreasonable ones are the overwhelming majority.

If the Benins were a very enterprising and innovative people. Benin would have been a hub of innovation in Nigeria. The Benin diaspora would have been bringing back home so much innovation from abroad.
This also clearly proves the fact that most Benins abroad did not come from educated backgrounds who went abroad for a better education. Rather cultists and prostitutes who trekked across the sahara and through the meditarranean sea.

You are comparing Ijaw militancy with Edo prostitution, trafficking and witchcraft?
Militancy was born out of the desire to self determination and assertion of self rights.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 1:22pm On Nov 06, 2019
pazienza:

I exposed you and your kind hypocrisy, and this is your rebuttal?

Nothing emotional about my post. It's actually a pragmatic post made with intent to harden the hearts of Ndiigbos against anything non Igbo in Nigeria, their opinions and sentiments towards us. Because, it simply doesn't matter.

What matters is what we make out of ourselves.

You exposed me? How laughable grin

Same you who I boxed to every corner with hard facts, then you run away and avoid quoting me? Why don't you quote me for a head to head debate?

You could not explain to us why Igbos (the only majority tribe in Nigeria surrounded by minority tribes on all frontiers), yet they do not have a good relationship with all these tribes.

You people do not accommodate these minorities in your states. You don't give them admissions and job opportunities in your states, yet you collect from theirs.

You tried to excuse yourself by claiming that all other Nigerian cities had federal govt presence and were old capital cities hence their being more cosmopolitan than Igbo cities. I clearly exposed you on this one and you ran away.

If you think you can challenge me to a debate, quote me back and let me deal with you here. Nonsense.

Read Yujin's comments and learn from him how he responds on behalf of Igbos in a more enlightened and mature way, unlike you who comments like a lady who has been experiencing ceaseless menstrual flow, cramps and mood swings for a month non-stop.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 1:33pm On Nov 06, 2019
Iamgrey5:
@ embloden

Please point to any fact that suggest that igbos are actually more educated than Yorubas.

If people believed Yorubas are more educated. it is because Yorubas actually dominated the education sector in the early days of Nigerian history and we were actually the first to produce most educational professionals like First Nigerian Lawyer and doctors. Even my family produced the first woman professor of law and the first female senator in Nigeria.

We also had the free education which Awolowo championed.

We also housed the first university in Nigeria.

Please tell me any of those that the social media have busted as fake news or not true.

And we don't need anyone praises or validation, we are quite fine the way we are.

UNN was the first full fledged university in Nigeria. This is one lie that has been busted. UI is not the first university in Nigeria. However, it can be called the first tertiary institution in Nigeria.

Igbos also have many pioneer academic achievers. I have seen the list of pioneer academicians in Nigeria and Igbos were very many on that list too.

The list of Jamb & WAEC registration and results by states and individuals have seen Igbo states ahead of Yoruba states since the last few years. Even overall ranking of literacy rates of states by several bodies have seen Igbos to be higher.
Ekiti state was always claimed to have the highest number of professors in Nigeria, but Imo state has more as we have seen.

8 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:59pm On Nov 06, 2019
Nowenuse:

I never said all the Benins overseas were into prostitution. What I said was that prostitution was the original intent for the majority of your ladies who travelled abroad. Or do you want to dispute this?
Most of them after prostituting their way to financial freedom of course begin normal lives, get married, have children, invite their siblings over through more legal means and some even become very successful there.

Igbos and Yorubas mostly travelled abroad for education and asylum seeking. Those who travel for drugs and internet fraud are in the minority and began later on after the first set.

Edo ladies are now taking prostitution to other west african nations like Mali, Ghana, Burkina Faso e.t.c or will you deny this one too?

Benin became a large urban center largely because it was the first capital city of an independent minority region (since 1964). No sane mind will ever attribute it to an innovative nature from the Benin natives. Otherwise, with all the Benin diaspora, how well is the city faring today when it comes to innovation?

You are listing airports, federal universities, museum. Things built by the federal and state govts which other states also have? Even Jigawa state which most Nigerians cannot locate on a map has an international airport that is far superior to the Benin airport.

There are 2 private universities in Benin land and this is the only area I'd say the Benins are trying, however one of them is owned by the corrupt Igbenedion family. This family also owns Kada (the now 2nd best shopping mall/eatery/cinema).
Market square which is owned by an Anioma man is now the number 1 destination in Benin.
Filmhouse cinemas & Nadia Bakery/shopping mall in Uniben area are not owned by Benins.
Phil Hallmark is the only reputable venture I know in Benin owned by a Benin man who doesn't have questionable money.

Maybe you can list the reputable ventures established by the Benin diaspora.

I lived in Benin for almost 10 years and I usually see these Benin diaspora who sometimes return home. You find them with dirty bleached skin and tattoos, ear rings and multiple piercings in their ears, nose and mouth. That is all they do.
Of course, there are reasonable ones among them, but the unreasonable ones are the overwhelming majority.

If the Benins were a very enterprising and innovative people. Benin would have been a hub of innovation in Nigeria. The Benin diaspora would have been bringing back home so much innovation from abroad.
This also clearly proves the fact that most Benins abroad did not come from educated backgrounds who went abroad for a better education. Rather cultists and prostitutes who trekked across the sahara and through the meditarranean sea.

You are comparing Ijaw militancy with Edo prostitution, trafficking and witchcraft?
Militancy was born out of the desire to self determination and assertion of self rights.
yawn so much epistle of nonsense. In fact what's the name of your ethnic group?

I'm sure you are from a minority tribe in northern Nigeria that Hausa has colonized. Oya what's the name of your tribe if you are not ashamed of it?
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 2:19pm On Nov 06, 2019
Nowenuse:

UNN was the first full fledged university in Nigeria. This is one lie that has been busted. UI is not the first university in Nigeria. However, it can be called the first tertiary institution in Nigeria.

Igbos also have many pioneer academic achievers. I have seen the list of pioneer academicians in Nigeria and Igbos were very many on that list too.

The list of Jamb & WAEC registration and results by states and individuals have seen Igbo states ahead of Yoruba states since the last few years. Even overall ranking of literacy rates of states by several bodies have seen Igbos to be higher.
Ekiti state was always claimed to have the highest number of professors in Nigeria, but Imo state has more as we have seen.
Your problem is simply because you have spent a whole lot of time with igbos you begin believe their lies.

First of all, University of Ibadan started in 1948 as university of college Ibadan but it was actually a degree awarding university. Yaba tech which was established much earlier was an institution which awarded certificates not university college Ibadan.. (Note: there's difference between the first indigenous university and first university in Nigeria)

Secondly, can you please list the igbo educational achievers you are talking about, especially the ones that put Yoruba's educational achievers in second position.

Thirdly, the igbos have only five state in which they absolutely dominate by population elsewhere they are minority, whereas Yorubas dominante 7 states and are strong minority in kogi state. Hence, it is not uncommon to find three of igbo states (Imo, Anambra and Abia) topping jamb admission on most occasions followed by the remaining seven seven Yoruba states (Oyo, Kwara, Osun, Lagos, Ekiti, Ondo and Ogun state) .

Please bring out this overall ranking by states by various bodies, let us break them down into actual figures.

Like I said earlier, massage the Egos of igbos all you want but please stick to the facts alone and not hearsay.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 06, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Your problem is simply because you have spent a whole lot of time with igbos you begin believe their lies.

As usual, chasing shadows.

Iamgrey5:
First of all, University of Ibadan started in 1948 as university of college London but it was actually a degree awarding university. Yaba tech which was established much earlier was an institution which awarded certificates not university college Ibadan.. (Note: there's different between the first indigenous university and first university in Nigeria)

College of Ibadan rather. In voice of seasoned educationist. Time we left Ibadan that was when the likes of Soyinka was enrolled into the college.

Iamgrey5:
Secondly, can you please list the igbo educational achievers you are talking about, especially the ones that put Yoruba's educational achievers in second position.
There are things you don't argue especially this one...Haaaaaaaa.

You can't just beat the reach.

Iamgrey5:
Thirdly, the igbos have only five state in which they absolutely dominate by population elsewhere they are minority, whereas Yorubas dominante 7 states and are strong minority in kogi state. Hence, it is not uncommon to find three of igbo states (Imo, Anambra and Abia) topping jamb admission on most occasions by the remaining seven Yoruba seven states (Oyo, Kwara, Osun, Lagos, Ekiti, Ondo and Ogun state)

Yorubas has Six states not Seven young man. Kwara is a northern State. Also Are Ogun, Osun, Ekiti not Yoruba dominated? Your argument is purely useless here.

Iamgrey5:
Please bring out this overall ranking by states by various bodies, let us break them down into actual figures.

Like I said earlier, massage the Egos of igbos all you want but please stick to the facts alone and not hearsay.

The young just said the truth. You don't have facts to counter him.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 2:39pm On Nov 06, 2019
MelesZenawi:

As usual, chasing shadows.

College of Ibadan rather. In voice of seasoned educationist. Time we left Ibadan that was when the likes of Soyinka was enrolled into the college.

There are things you don't argue especially this one...Haaaaaaaa.

You can't just beat the reach.

Yorubas has Six states not Seven young man. Kwara is a northern State. Also Are Ogun, Osun, Ekiti not Yoruba dominated? Your argument is purely useless here.

The young just said the truth. You don't have facts to counter him.
Bruv you are sick in the head

If Yoruba don't have seven states then David Oyedepo is a Fulani man cheesy

I don't usually want to insult you because you usually sound level headed but you are starting to sound off key lately.

Was Soyika awarded a degree or just a certificate? if Soyinka was awarded a degree as well as Anichebe then you and your friends are actually sick because I don't know what else would have make university college Ibadan not to qualify as a university.

And finally can you please bring out the achievements of igbo scholars that put Yoruba into second place. Please �

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 3:01pm On Nov 06, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Bruv you are sick in the head

If Yoruba don't have seven states then David Oyedepo is a Fulani man cheesy

I don't usually want to insult you because you usually sound level headed but you are starting to sound off key lately.

Was Soyika awarded a degree or just a certificate? if Soyinka was awarded a degree as well as Anichebe then you and your friends are actually sick because I don't know what else would have make university college Ibadan not to qualify as a university.

And finally can you please bring out the achievements of igbo scholars that put Yoruba into second place. Please �

If Oyedepo is from kwara, so that singular act makes kwara a Yoruba state... Are you for real.

I might as well say Chibuike Amaechi from Rivers states makes it an Igbo state...??

Try and reason properly in dignified direction. You can't give Igbos 5 states and hand yourself seven states when is clear you violated Geopolitical zones in your submission.

I pride myself as been fair and just and as such quite neutral and balance in my submissions.

What Yorubas has is 6 states and not 7.

Finally, I don't like discussing about Wole Soyinka because he laid the foundation of cultism in universities today. He entered Ibadan with another intention not to study.

He is a pyrate.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 3:12pm On Nov 06, 2019
MelesZenawi:

If Oyedepo is from kwara, so that singular act makes kwara a Yoruba state... Are you for real.

I might as well say Chibuike Amaechi from Rivers states makes it an Igbo state...??

Try and reason properly in dignified direction. You can't give Igbos 5 states and hand yourself seven states when is clear you violated Geopolitical zones in your submission.

I pride myself as been fair and just and as such quite neutral and balance in my submissions.

What Yorubas has is 6 states and not 7.

Finally, I don't like discussing about Wole Soyinka because he laid the foundation of cultism in universities today. He entered Ibadan with another intention not to study.

He is a pyrate.

No it makes Kwara a Northern state

What of chief Adedoyin of Doyin group, Lai Muhammad Rasidi Yekini, Joseph Ayo babalola (CAC) , Pasuma , Kunle Afolayan etc.

You can even google kwara state and you will find it posted that 85% of the population readily identify as Yorubas, or what language do you think is spoken in ilorin ? Even in the Emirs palace. cheesy

Rivers state is entirely different because while igbos make a substantial minority, it's no where close to 50% of the population, same can be said of Delta where igbos should be closer to 50% of the population.

Moving on, Wole Soyinka has more internationally recognized award than any other writer in Nigerian history.

He is a social crusader that has even spent months in prison for issues that should ordinarily not concern him like Biafra.

He started a group that was made up of predominantly students from poor background to give them a voice, he was never part of groups like Aye, Eye, Vikings of today.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

Banning Open Grazing: We Stand With Malami — Arewa Youths / Blending Petrol With Ethanol Will Save N49 – Marketers / Policemen Push Patrol Van To Start In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 194
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.