Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,232 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (25172 Views)

Benue: Fr. Alia Presents Certificate Of Return To Tor Tiv And Ochi’idoma / Question: Which Is The Most Populous Ethnic Group In Rivers State? / Top 10 Africa's Most Populous Ethnic Groups. Yoruba is number 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 9:22pm On Oct 29, 2019
Efewestern:

Do you really believe Ijaw has more population than Urhobo?

Bro, if you count all the group of people who identify as Ijaw, all the way from the Andonis of Akwa Ibom & Rivers to the Degemas, kalabaris, Okrikas & Ibanis of Rivers state to the entirety of Bayelsa state (besides Ofoni town), then all the Ijaws in Delta south, then those in Edo state with up to 10 towns, then the entirety of Ese-Odo LGA in Ondo state.
Abeg, dem plenty pass Urhobo.
Ijaws dominate more than 20 LGAs in Nigeria and are minorities in like 8 LGAs, haba. No comparison.
Even if you add Isokos to Urhobo, it still won't meet up Ijaw.
Only Tivs, Kanuris & Ibibio-Efiks combined can square up or outnumber Ijaws in Nigeria.

However, Urhobo & Isokos combined should be the 6th or 7th largest ethnic group in Nigeria after the big 3, then Tivs, Kanuris and maybe (Ibibio if they are combined).
However you people combined will be clearly more than Igalas, Idomas, Nupes, Gbagyis, Ebiras, Binis, Esans and Ibibios (if u don't add Efiks & others).

Ijaws wouldn't have been so much, but during the politics of Old Rivers state where all the Lowland peoples were classified as Ijaws, it led to the swallowing up of other lowland tribes into Ijaw identity.
Are you aware that Ijaws are even trying to swallow up the Igbo speaking Ndoki people in Rivers state? Not linguistically of course, but politically.

3 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 9:37pm On Oct 29, 2019
pazienza:

Lol!
I guess it's all subjective now. When there are no real stats to back them up.
Experiences vary too.

I spent sometime in Gusau and Funtua in 2018, and I know for certain we have far more Igbos in North than Yorubas, despite Yorubas (Okun and Kwara) being Northerners.
I reckon Yorubas can't outnumber Igbos in Niger.
Places like Bida ( Ezi Bida), Minna, Suleja, all have functional and populated Igbo areas. They all feature in our travel tales. So I will take it that you are definitely underestimating Igbo population In Niger State.

I served in rural Yoruba, yet in that rural Yoruba community I served, with no electricity for that matter, there was a thriving substantial Igbo population there. I couldn't believe it. I even saw an Igbo from my hometown there.
Igbo spread and presence in the North, Nigeria and world over is by no means overrated. We are a very populous race. smiley

One time, a girl from Samoa came to NL culture section trying to know more about Ndiigbo. His father is Igbo and the mother is from Samoa and the parents stay in Samoa. Samoa Island of all places. That's how spread Ndiigbo are. One day, When Biafra comes, we will all return home and make her great.

Like I told you, Igbos are more visible in the north because they never integrate with Hausas, unlike Yoruba muslims who integrate with Hausas after the 1st & 2nd generation.

Someone like you who doesn't understand Hausa language very well will never be able to tell the difference between Hausanized people and Hausas. I can tell the difference to a large extent.

When we were in camp there was this girl who speaks Hausa very well and moves with the other Hausa click of girls. Everybody else thought she was Hausa, but when I studied her, I knew she just couldn't be Hausa, she must be Ebira or Auchi. I confronted her in private and she opened up to me that truly she was Ebira but she grew up in Sokoto.
I am very good at this, so for Hausanized yorubas to catch me unaware of this, it tells you how well Yorubas integrate with Hausas, hence go unnoticed unlike Igbos.

Igbos are more than Yorubas in the north, I agree. But for every 10 Igbos in the north, there are 8 yorubas. It's not the way people paint it like there are few yorubas in the north, far from it.
My brother met a 3rd generation Yoruba girl in Jos whose father has never been to his village and they died in the Jos crisis. She now claims to be a Plateau indigene and has adopted a Plateau name, as she has nowhere else to go and doesn't even know where she is from in Yoruba land.

If we talk about migration around the world, of course nobody can argue this with the Igbos. However, taking specific countries like Ghana, Togo, Mali, Sierra Leone/Liberia & UK. There are far more Yorubas than Igbos in these places.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Efewestern: 9:45pm On Oct 29, 2019
Nowenuse:

Bro, if you count all the group of people who identify as Ijaw, all the way from the Andonis of Akwa Ibom & Rivers to the Degemas, kalabaris, Okrikas & Ibanis of Rivers state to the entirety of Bayelsa state (besides Ofoni town), then all the Ijaws in Delta south, then those in Edo state with up to 10 towns, then the entirety of Ese-Odo LGA in Ondo state.
Ijaws dominate more than 20 LGAs in Nigeria and are minorities in like 8 LGAs, haba. No comparison.
Only Tivs, Kanuris & Ibibio-Efiks combined can square up or outnumber Ijaws in Nigeria.

However, Urhobo & Isokos combined should be the 6th or 7th largest ethnic group in Nigeria after the big 3, then Tivs, Kanuris and maybe (Ibibio if they are combined).
However you people combined will be clearly more than Igalas, Idomas, Nupes, Gbagyis, Ebiras, Binis, Esans and Ibibios (if u don't add Efiks & others).

Ijaws wouldn't have been so much, but during the politics of Old Rivers state where all the Lowland peoples were classified as Ijaws, it led to the swallowing up of other lowland tribes into Ijaw identity.
Are you aware that Ijaws are even trying to swallow up the Igbo speaking Ndoki people in Rivers state? Not linguistically of course, but politically.

The reason why I'm debating this is because Ijaw land isnt densely populated unlike Urhobo land, I get your points thou.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 9:50pm On Oct 29, 2019
scholes0:

The project their culture and identity more and they have the most "charisma" than the other minorities mainly because of their significant history.
Ibibio people are numerous but can't even project an independent aura separate from the "I am a calabar man" one.
Today today an Akwa Ibom man still told me I am 'from calabar'... Yes, calabar was a historic citadel and all but still, even the efiks that are supposed to have that zeal are only a tad bit better than the ibomites.

Edos had the most powerful empire in Southern Nigeria (only rivalled by the Oyo empire). Of course, this gives them a stronger culture and power.
Edos wouldn't have had far more cultural power than the Kanuris, but Hausa influence promoted by the British swallowed these poeple up.

Edos are the most powerful minority in the south and since the south is more educated and exposed than the north, it automatically gives the Edos better power compared to the Northern minorities.

However, when it comes to political power, Ijaws are the most powerful minority group in Nigeria, no question.

Ijaws now have the best music artistes among minorities in Nigeria.
Urhobos have the comedy industry.
The movie industry is a tie among all the southern minorities. In terms of Education, hmm no one is superior.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 10:11pm On Oct 29, 2019
mandarin:

oh k then you owe the world the body of proof for your argument. You see, in Nigeria, people argue how much their people are without any data to back it up. Having read the analysis on this thread, I believe all can read this including the CIA that assumptions on population composition in Nigeria has been and is still wrong based on unverified flawed and deliberately or otherwise data on which Nigeria population has erroneously been based.
If it suit anyone to ascribe any large disproportionate population to her ethnic group based on mere perception or wishful thinking, so be it. Contrary to many lies, arguments on population has been debunked severally. Igbo are traders so they travel, yes I concur but they are not the only traders in Nigeria, other groups are many in the North too as traders, artisans etc. To you, everyone not Hausa/Fulani in the North must be Igbo, big lie!
One of the key reasons Igbo are sometimes targets of hostilities is lack of integration. They do integrate in Europe and North America but because of this sense of superiority or inferiority the majority hardly do integrate within their communities in Nigeria except some in the Southwest especially second and third generations.
So my friend, you see am a student of history, strategy and analytics, I like to learn and accept that i have my limitations. If i can inform you, there are more Yoruba in the North than Igbo, in fact there are town founded by Yoruba traders before independent or amalgamation!

I don't think its right for any Igbo man to think the mind of everyone elsewhere is rigged against them haba! this was the thought of Ben Carson for his brethren when he advised African American to jettison such mentality and they will excel but alas, they labelled him! The Igbo are probably the best capitalist in Nigeria and on average more successful economically and I often laugh at the idea that Nigeria is not doing well because she hasn't produced an Igbo president! amazing! The truth is that the Nigeria economy has suffered from series of policies and just like other groups, the Igbo contributed in no small measures as well.

What Nigeria need is a generation shift to patriotic Nigerians that are young and proactive that can bring strategic policy shift and not playing victim mentality or ingrained sense of ethnic bigotry.
Thank you.
You can continue to spew whatever you like but I just clarified you on the situation in Jos. Igbos are far more than Yorubas there. Igbos don't integrate into Muslim areas and are unapologetic about it. In other, areas they integrate well. Igbos are easy targets because of the average hatred against them plus the visible investments they have and not for any other reason. In Niger state, there are lots of Igbos including the Kontagora he mentioned. I've been to Minna and it was Igbos I saw there especially around the central market close to St. Anthony's Anglican church. I don't have to lie to convince anyone. I have relatives in Bida and they corroborate a large Igbo community there too. You see on thing every sincere northern minority will agree with me is that the presence of Igbos in the north is helping to balance the dominance of the Hausa and fulanis. Why is it not the Yorubas? Mind if the Igbo population is not sizeable it wouldn't make such impact. Bias against Igbos will always creep on here but the reality of ground can never be erased. I've gone to a good portion of the north to make these postulations.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Efewestern: 10:11pm On Oct 29, 2019
pazienza:
Nowenuse :
Benin was capital of multi ethnic Bendel state. Many Anioma, Urhobo, Itsekiri, whose fathers were civil servants in Bini city capital of old Bendel, stayed behind. It's akin to the high population of Anambra and Ebonyi,people in Enugu state, because it was once the capital of old Anambra state. That's how my own parents came to Enugu as well. Ilorin is a capital of multi ethnic Kwara state, with Fulani, Yoruba, Nupe, etc, all present.
Maiduguri was once the capital of an old state comprising Adamawa, Taraba, etc. Those states have many minority states.
Jos the tin city attracted many Igbo and other southern groups to the town. After the boom of Tin, many of these families stayed behind. Also old Plateau with Jos as capital included states like Nasarawa, so many groups from there are still there.

I don't get you, Benin had always been cosmopolitan even before Midwest was formed, the Urhobos, Itsekiris etc had emigrated to Benin as far as 1900 doing business with the locals.

Places like Okitipupa, Ilesha and Oshogbo were also flooded by the Urhobos during that period, it has nothing to do with administrative centre like you just painted.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 10:28pm On Oct 29, 2019
Efewestern:

The reason why I'm debating this is because Ijaw land isnt densely populated unlike Urhobo land, I get your points thou.

Yes and this is why I think Urhobo for instance can compare a tribe like Gbagyi.
Gbagyis dominate 16 LGAs in Nigeria and are minorities in like 6 other LGAs, but their areas are not densely populated. (Although, the north has a very big landmass).

Efewestern:

Sad I came in late, but your stat about the Urhobos is wrong, Urhobo still migrate heavily, mostly westward, my grandfather grew up in Okitipkupa in Ondo state, till date we still have huge Urhobos in Ondo, Benin is like our home land, there's no way Igala will have more population than us.

Urhobos are also much in PH, Let's not even talk about Lagos and Ogun, these states till date have a large population of Urhobos. In SW no minority can displace the Urhobos, it's a well known fact.

At bolded, not true.

Nice contributions from scholes0.

Like I challenged scholes0 that he should go to an Urhobo group on facebook and check the profiles of random urhobos there and he will discover that 8 in 10 of them he will find in that group live in Delta state.
Do you want to dispute this?

Urhobos still migrate of course, but not like before. The average Urhobo today leaves his village to Warri or at least Lagos/Benin, unlike in the past where Urhobos migrated as far as Liberia.
I have close Urhobo friends who were all born in Liberia, but they came back to Warri in the late 90s.

I won't even talk about Jos. See the only 2 Niger deltan minorities who have won Big Brother (Karen Igho & Efe Ejeba). They are both Urhobo and born and bred in Jos.
Karen's dowry was even paid Jos grin to tell you how connected these people are to Jos.
My Aunty married a Jos urhobo. If this man doesn't tell you he is an urhobo, you will never believe.

Since the rise of Warri as a large urban center, Urhobos no longer migrate as they use to do before. Many also came back.

But Igalas on the other hand are leaving as if there is a disease epidemic in their homeland.
Their population in Jos, Kaduna, Zaria & Kano is up to 500k. They are also moving to the south too. I have met so many of them here in Warri and Benin.
Abuja is now their headquarters. They are everywhere in Abuja.

Okay, see, I just did an experiment now. I went to an Igala forum I belong to on facebook and among the first 10 profiles I checked, none of them was living in Kogi state and 7 out of that 10 were living in Abuja grin

Here is the forum. Check for yourself and see.

https://mbasic./216213425153323?bacr=1572383494%3A2446405302134113%3A2446405302134113%2C0%2C0%3A7%3AKw%3D%3D&multi_permalinks&refid=18

With all these migration of the Igalas, yet you still see them having densely populated towns & LGAs.

As you yourself can see, all colonial records showed Igalas to be more than Urhobos.
Urhobos grew in population because of their high birthrates. However, Igalas also have high birthrates because most of them used to be muslim, but now it is more like a 50/50.

Also, did I hear you say in SW no minority can displace Urhobo? What about the Ebiras? I don't think even scholes0 will argue this one.

Okay see now, I just went to the forum DELTANS HOW UNA SEE AM, and among the first 12 Urhobo profiles I checked, 8 were living in Delta state (Asaba, Warri & Ughelli). Didn't I tell you?
Here is the facebook page below.

https://mbasic./469955773049857?refid=18&_ft_=qid.6753338570925135818%3Amf_story_key.2763131160398962%3Agroup_id.469955773049857%3Atop_level_post_id.2763131160398962%3Atl_objid.2763131160398962%3Acontent_owner_id_new.100022369338731%3Atext_formatting.1881421442117417%3Asrc.22%3Astory_location.6%3Afilter.GroupStoriesByActivityEntQuery&__tn__=C-R

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 11:13pm On Oct 29, 2019
Nowenuse:

Bro, Fulanis dominate Bauchi politics and all the names you listed identify as Fulanis.
There are more towns dominated by Fulanis in Bauchi than Hausas.
Hausa language is just very very strong in Bauchi considering how close it is to the Northwest, hence even Bauchi fulanis are being Hausanized.

I give up on arguing Niger state with you grin.

Apart from Suleja town, I don't know where else in Niger state has a majority Hausa population. Even the Suleja, a good number of the muslims in there are not Hausas, they are other tribes.
Ethnic profile of bauchi please.hausas dont need to dominate a town where there settlers na l,they will simply spread out.i believe that out of the three districts of the state,hausa dominate one,gwari one and nupe one.saying that muazu aliyu father is hausa and this doesn't mean he is fully hausa betrayed you.is it where his mother or friends come from that he should come from?
I heard immediate past governor abubakar of bauchi is ebira while yuguda is a minority.i believe bala is hausa or fulani
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 11:17pm On Oct 29, 2019
Efewestern:

Do you really believe Ijaw has more population than Urhobo?

Yes sir except in delta
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by babtoundey(m): 11:26pm On Oct 29, 2019
Iamgrey5:
You are typing absolute nonsense sir

I am talking about a state having a Christian governor and Deputy governor for two times in a role.

I am from Oyo state and it has been ruled by both Christian and Muslims in the past.

Since 1999, Oyo state has been ruled by three Muslims (Lam Adesina, Ladoja and Ajimobi) and two Christians (Seyi and Akala).

Regardless, the position of the deputy is always made available for the other religion on each occasion.

Same can be said of Lagos, Ogun and Osun state.

The only exceptions are Ekiti and Ondo.

Your assessment remains baseless. How do you determine the religion of the majority of the people in a state by faith of the people that rule them? Religion plays very inconsequential role in ascendancy of governorship position in Oyo state. The past and present governor won elections not by pitching their tent and loyalty and identifying with certain religious sects. Nobody voted for Makinde because he was (or seen as) a Christian. The failure and arrogance of past administration gave him an edge. The same thing can be said of Ajimobi (a Muslim) and Akala (a Christian). Ajimobi won, mainly because people were tired of Akala's handling of the state affair.

When you're talking about elections and voting pattern in Oyo state, my dear, always remove religious sentiment out of it. That the governor, as it is at the moment, is a Christian doesn't mean the state is predominantly, Christian.

By the way, I am also from Oyo state.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 5:40am On Oct 30, 2019
babtoundey:

Your assessment remains baseless. How do you determine the religion of the majority of the people in a state by faith of the people that rule them? Religion plays very inconsequential role in ascendancy of governorship position in Oyo state. The past and present governor won elections not by pitching their tent and loyalty and identifying with certain religious sects. Nobody voted for Makinde because he was (or seen as) a Christian. The failure and arrogance of past administration gave him an edge. The same thing can be said of Ajimobi (a Muslim) and Akala (a Christian). Ajimobi won, mainly because people were tired of Akala's handling of the state affair.

When you're talking about elections and voting pattern in Oyo state, my dear, always remove religious sentiment out of it. That the governor, as it is at the moment, is a Christian doesn't mean the state is predominantly, Christian.

By the way, I am also from Oyo state.
I believe you don't get my point again

There's no time we have had a Christian/Christian or Muslim/Muslim ticket in Oyo state i.e. christian governor and Deputy governor because of the our peculiarities as a religious diverse state.

Nonetheless, such has never been put into consideration in Ondo or Ekitin state because of their large christian population.

I hope you understand!
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Haywhysat: 6:29am On Oct 30, 2019
I'm always shocked when people say Muslim dominate my state, osun, how come... Am from osun, East senatorial district and Christians overwhelmly dominate almost all local government here, and u can still find Christians in other osun west and central...

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by YourNemesis: 7:06am On Oct 30, 2019
Nowenuse:

Bro not all of Ese Odo LG is of ijoid stock.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 30, 2019
Nowenuse:

Edos had the most powerful empire in Southern Nigeria (only rivalled by the Oyo empire). Of course, this gives them a stronger culture and power.
Edos wouldn't have had far more cultural power than the Kanuris, but Hausa influence promoted by the British swallowed these poeple up.

Edos are the most powerful minority in the south and since the south is more educated and exposed than the north, it automatically gives the Edos better power compared to the Northern minorities.

However, when it comes to political power, Ijaws are the most powerful minority group in Nigeria, no question.

Ijaws now have the best music artistes among minorities in Nigeria.
Urhobos have the comedy industry.
The movie industry is a tie among all the southern minorities. In terms of Education, hmm no one is superior.
wow sir you are well informed oo.

In your opinion urhobo and Benin which has more population?

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by babtoundey(m): 10:37am On Oct 30, 2019
Iamgrey5:
I believe you don't get my point again

There's no time we have had a Christian/Christian or Muslim/Muslim ticket in Oyo state i.e. christian governor and Deputy governor because of the our peculiarities as a religious diverse state.

Nonetheless, such has never been put into consideration in Ondo or Ekitin state because of their large christian population.

I hope you understand!

I must have misunderstood what you wrote earlier for something else. Apologies.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 6:06pm On Oct 30, 2019
Efewestern:

I don't get you, Benin had always been cosmopolitan even before Midwest was formed, the Urhobos, Itsekiris etc had emigrated to Benin as far as 1900 doing business with the locals.

Places like Okitipupa, Ilesha and Oshogbo were also flooded by the Urhobos during that period, it has nothing to do with administrative centre like you just painted.

Benin City has always been an administrative headquarters of multi ethnic entities. Be it multiethnic Bini empire, Midwest, Bendel and now multiethnic Edo state.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by OMANBALA1: 7:23pm On Oct 30, 2019
pazienza:
Nowenuse:

I doubt if there are any communities in Ondo without a mosque.
Even places like Idanre, Bolorunduro, Okitipupa, etc all have mosques.

Edo North is a Muslim enclave.
Going to places like Igarra, Okpella, Auchi, etc for first time, was like a cultural shock to me.
Too many native women on Hijab.

Modern Igbo are pragmatic. History taught us a great lesson. We see no difference between NN, SS,, WW, NC, SW, NE, etc. Whether Christians or Muslims, you lots are united by Igbophobia. Gowon was a Christian, and the Tiv and Idoma people who ambushed some of us at Makurdi in 1966, were all Christians. You all are same with the Caliphate. So to us, Nigeria is a Muslim dominant country. There is no scaremongering here. This is just us being stone cold plain and acceptance of reality.

Good for you. Do well to handle your issues with your fellow Northerners or Nigerians. Leave Ndiigbo out of it.
We are Ndiigbo not Christians. Christianity is only a secondary part of us.

Gbam...they are united in their hatred towards the Igbo nation.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 30, 2019
pazienza:

Benin City has always been an administrative headquarters of multi ethnic entities. Be it multiethnic Bini empire, Midwest, Bendel and now multiethnic Edo state.
multi ethnic Benin empire? Lol lies
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Efewestern: 8:48pm On Oct 30, 2019
pazienza:

You claimed other ethnic groups in the Delta emigrated to Benin because it was an administrative centre, how well do you explain the heavy Urhobo presence in faraway Okitipupa even though it was never an administrative headquarters of the Urhobos?

You are still not getting it, the reason people emigrate to other places is not because of anything but for economic reasons, administrative centre is far from it.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by pazienza(m): 10:59pm On Oct 30, 2019
Efewestern:

You claimed other ethnic groups in the Delta emigrated to Benin because it was an administrative centre, how well do you explain the heavy Urhobo presence in faraway Okitipupa even though it was never an administrative headquarters of the Urhobos?

You are still not getting it, the reason people emigrate to other places is not because of anything but for economic reasons, administrative centre is far from it.

Being administrative headquarters bring with it many economic advantages, which draw people in.
Look at Lagos and Abuja.

5 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 11:11pm On Oct 30, 2019
Yujin:

The way some of you spin stories to suit your narrative is appalling. Igbos in the north are not even loud compared to those in other areas. I know that Yorubas especially from Kwara and Ogbomosho have lived in the north spanning three generations but even that doesn't equate the population of Yorubas to that of the Igbos in the north. You see, secondary school enrollment in the north will give you a better picture of both ethnic groups since they're both educationally inclined. This will rest the case. As for the unfortunate casualties in the Jos crisis being Yorubas, the reason is not far fetched. The location of the major battles witness more fatalities and in that case, the location was a Yoruba dominated location which they couldn't defend against the Hausas. I personally lost lots of Yoruba friends there. The areas were from Dilimi linking the whole Nassarawa area plus Rikkos. Nassarawa was hitherto the headquarters of the Yoruba settlement in Jos. I grew up there so I know. It had a sizeable population of Igbos too such that Igbo was being taught at a point in the Yoruba owned school I attended. After the first crisis, lots of Igbos left the area because it was poorly defended by the Yorubas who should have been the backbone of defense. It was in the subsequent crisis that the massacre happened. That's why the Yoruba casualties was the highest among the Southern settlers. Igbos from Nassarawa relocated to Igbo dominated areas and other indigene dominated areas with a good promise of defence and contributed to there defence. All Igbo dominated areas were well defended.
That said, Igbo population in the north is much more than that of the Yorubas. Is It in Kano, Kaduna, Jos, Abuja, Suleja, Lafia, Makurdi, Akwanga, Mangu, Shendam, Bauchi, Jalingo, Yola, Minna, Kafanchan etc

I think I agree with you here as a Jos indigene.

Yorubas lost more people and money in the 2008 & 2010 Jos crisis firstly because Yorubas are of 2 religions. Both Yoruba muslims & christians are caught in the crossfire between both sides unlike Igbos who easily join forces with the christian indigenes and only suffer casualty on one end.

That of Yoruba muslims is even the worse. Hausa fulani muslims see them as inferior/fake muslims, so Hausas even chase them away from muslim areas too.

Most importantly, Yorubas are the kind of people who tend to be cowardly outside their homeland. An Igbo man can fight you even in your own village just to defend himself, his family & properties.
Yorubas use to truly dominate Nasarawa Gong areas of Jos, but they allowed Hausa-fulanis chase them out and take over the place without even a fight or showdown.
If it was Igbos, such would never have happened.

Cc Mandarin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 11:39pm On Oct 30, 2019
garfield1:

Ethnic profile of bauchi please.hausas dont need to dominate a town where there settlers na l,they will simply spread out.i believe that out of the three districts of the state,hausa dominate one,gwari one and nupe one.saying that muazu aliyu father is hausa and this doesn't mean he is fully hausa betrayed you.is it where his mother or friends come from that he should come from?
I heard immediate past governor abubakar of bauchi is ebira while yuguda is a minority.i believe bala is hausa or fulani

I am not really arguing if Muazu is Hausa. I think he is.
The Hausa settlers in Niger east are finding it very difficult to use religion to mix with the people of Niger east because half of these people are christians.
The christian Gbagyis are the ones who will always remind the likes of Muazu & Babangida that they are not true indigenes of the area and they are not Gbagyi. However, left for these people, they really want to integrate. They never identify themselves as Hausa in public.

Hausas do not dominate any senatorial district in Niger. But they and the fulanis have the strongest minority populations in both Niger north & Niger east.
Niger north is dominated by Kainji tribes.

Bauchi is very very very heterogenous. There are over 50 indigenous tribes in Bauchi state.
However, this heterogeneity is dying as everyone has adopted Hausa as their mother tongue.
That Bauchi north axis (Katagum) have the Bolewa, Karekare, Zagezage, Kanuris and other tribes you find in Yobe south as the main indigenes. They and the indigenous tribes of Yobe south are the same people, but the differences are becoming very obscured as these people and the Hausa fulanis in their midst are now becoming one and indifferentiable.

Bauchi south & central have the Jarawas as the largest tribe, then Gerawa (the original indigenes of Bauchi town), Ningawa, Pa'awa, Kirfawa, Zulawa, Warjawa, Sayawa and dozens of other tribes with Hausas & fulanis.
Most of these tribes have adopted Hausa as their language, but the elderly still speak the language in the rural areas in some cases.

Among all the major tribes in Bauchi state, only the Sayawa of Tafawa Balewa/Bogoro are primarily christians. There are few minority tribes around Sayawa who are christians too, though, these tribes are a spillover from Plateau state.
Jarawa people are 35% christians from what I heard, but I have not yet confirmed it.

The truth is that your ethnic origin is not really a very big deal in Bauchi state (unless of course you are a christian). Otherwise, as long as you are a muslim, you are good to go.
Although, candidates opposing each other may claim their rival is a Yoruba, an Auchi or an Igala man in order to reduce their support base grin
This was how they claimed Kwankwaso was a yoruba man all over Kano
These things may be true, but in most cases they are lies.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure of the tribes of the past governors of Bauchi state. Different people say different things. However, I have heard from most sources that most of them are fulanis.

Lastly, there is still discrimination of tribal muslims by Hausa fulanis in Bauchi state. A Bauchi indigene told me that some Hausas do not respond if they hear a Jarawa man calling for prayers or sitting to lead prayers.

They call these tribal muslims tubebe or musulmin Sardauna, meaning muslims who just converted not long ago.

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 11:45pm On Oct 30, 2019
YourNemesis:

Bro not all of Ese Odo LG is of ijoid stock.

Hmm, apart from the Apois & Arogbos, who else is in Ese Odo?
I hope you are not counting the Apois as non-ijoids? These people might have switched to a yoruba dialect, but they themselves and everyone else knows that they are originally Ijaws.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 11:48pm On Oct 30, 2019
Igbosmoker:
wow sir you are well informed oo.

In your opinion urhobo and Benin which has more population?

Urhobos should be more than the Benins as of today, but in the past it was not so.

Urhobos have the highest birthrates in the South. This is what boosted their population not too long ago. This is why whenever the largest minority tribes were mentioned in any colonial documents you will never find Urhobos anywhere close.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 11:56pm On Oct 30, 2019
Nowenuse:

I am not really arguing if Muazu is Hausa. I think he is.
The Hausa settlers in Niger east are finding it very difficult to use religion to mix with the people of Niger east because half of these people are christians.
The christian Gbagyis are the ones who will always remind the likes of Muazu & Babangida that they are not true indigenes of the area and they are not Gbagyi. However, left for these people, they really want to integrate. They never identify themselves as Hausa in public.

Hausas do not dominate any senatorial district in Niger. But they and the fulanis have the strongest minority populations in both Niger north & Niger east.
Niger north is dominated by Kainji tribes.

Bauchi is very very very heterogenous. There are over 50 indigenous tribes in Bauchi state.
However, this heterogeneity is dying as everyone has adopted Hausa as their mother tongue.
That Bauchi north axis (Katagum) have the Bolewa, Karekare, Zagezage, Kanuris and other tribes you find in Yobe south as the main indigenes. They and the indigenous tribes of Yobe south are the same people, but the differences are becoming very obscured as these people and the Hausa fulanis in their midst are now becoming one and indifferentiable.

Bauchi south & central have the Jarawas as the largest tribe, then Gerawa (the original indigenes of Bauchi town), Ningawa, Pa'awa, Kirfawa, Zulawa, Warjawa, Sayawa and dozens of other tribes with Hausas & fulanis.
Most of these tribes have adopted Hausa as their language, but the elderly still speak the language in the rural areas in some cases.

Among all the major tribes in Bauchi state, only the Sayawa of Tafawa Balewa/Bogoro are primarily christians. There are few minority tribes around Sayawa who are christians too, though, these tribes are a spillover from Plateau state.
Jarawa people are 35% christians from what I heard, but I have not yet confirmed it.

The truth is that your ethnic origin is not really a very big deal in Bauchi state (unless of course you are a christian). Otherwise, as long as you are a muslim, you are good to go.
Although, candidates opposing each other may claim their rival is a Yoruba, an Auchi or an Igala man in order to reduce their support base grin
This was how they claimed Kwankwaso was a yoruba man all over Kano
These things may be true, but in most cases they are lies.

To be honest, I am not 100% sure of the tribes of the past governors of Bauchi state. Different people say different things. However, I have heard from most sources that most of them are fulanis.

Lastly, there is still discrimination of tribal muslims by Hausa fulanis in Bauchi state. A Bauchi indigene told me that some Hausas do not respond if they hear a Jarawa man calling for prayers or sitting to lead prayers.

They call these tribal muslims tubebe or musulmin Sardauna, meaning muslims who just converted not long ago.
Nice.please write a book or an online research about nigeria tribes.we will also contribute

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by garfield1: 11:59pm On Oct 30, 2019
Nowenuse:

Urhobos should be more than the Benins as of today, but in the past it was not so.

Urhobos have the highest birthrates in the South. This is what boosted their population not too long ago. This is why whenever the largest minority tribes were mentioned in any colonial documents you will never find Urhobos anywhere close.
Sorry sir,the ibibios or generally akwa ibom tribes have the highest birth rate in the south.these people are almost exclusively monogamous unlike the urhobos who love polygamy.again,it is very common to see a young akwa ibom girl unmarried with 4-7 kids.these people just love the sight of kids and dislike abortion.
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nowenuse: 12:53am On Oct 31, 2019
oilyngbati:
God bless you for these answers cool. I thought I was the only Igbo that think this way....thank Chukwu that we still have young Igbo like you that have studied nigeria and understand this evil country very well. The non Hausa/Fulani are as much threat to Ndigbo as the hausa/fulani too, hence thesame fate I wish the hausa/fulani is what I wish on these so called christian/muslim SW, NC, SS.
I see myself as Igbo first, before any stupid christian. Your statement below is priceless:

Good for you. Do well to handle your issues with your fellow Northerners or Nigerians. Leave Ndiigbo out of it.
pazienza:
Nowenuse:
Modern Igbo are pragmatic. History taught us a great lesson. We see no difference between NN, SS,, WW, NC, SW, NE, etc. Whether Christians or Muslims, you lots are united by Igbophobia. Gowon was a Christian, and the Tiv and Idoma people who ambushed some of us at Makurdi in 1966, were all Christians. You all are same with the Caliphate. So to us, Nigeria is a Muslim dominant country. There is no scaremongering here. This is just us being stone cold plain and acceptance of reality.

OMANBALA1:

Gbam...they are united in their hatred towards the Igbo nation.

And if I am to ask you guys. How or what exactly have Igbos done in order to deserve the love of their neighbouring minority tribes?
(Let us even leave out the Yorubas & Hausa-fulanis who are a majority tribe and assume majority rivalry between the big 3 tribes).

Do you guys think love, admiration and respect is just earned like that?

When I was in Uniben, my closest friend was an Oguta boy from Imo state. His father was Esan originally, but even his father grew up in Imo state. His mother was an Oguta indigene and they all grew up in Oguta. So I see absolutely nothing that is Esan about this guy.

This guy was the most Igbotic person in my department. He spoke Igbo better than all the full Igbos in the department, he gives Igbo parables grin and most times he was always the one that gingers the other Igbos to freely speak Igbo in the class.
(Igbos tend to have a language inferiority complex compared to Yorubas & Hausas). Yorubas & Hausas speak their language anywhere, anytime and anyhow and they don't care.

Whenever I was going to buy electronics in the market, I always take him along. Infact, I had a terrible deal once with an Igbo trader on a product. He was the one who saved my life and got me a better deal by scattering undiluted Igbo for them grin

Now this guy in his life can never badmouth Igbos or hate Igbos. If he goes to his village in Edo state and he hears his people talking bad about Igbos, he will instantly correct them. This is because he owes his upbringing to Igbo land and feels a certain allegiance and love to the land....

This is one way Hausas & Yorubas heavily win the hearts of other people, especially their neighbouring minority tribes.
They are very welcoming and accomodating of others in their land and they will never discriminate you as long as you integrate into the culture.
This my Oguta friend for example, I'm sure he will never be able to contest and win elections in Imo state because they will always remind him that his father is from Edo state.
Igbos are a very clannish and petty people when it comes to ethnic nationalism. However, if it is Hausas and even to an extent Yoruba, this my friend will easily be accepted, but in Igbo land, an Mbaise man will not even be accepted in Ngwa to lead Ngwa, even if his grandfather was born in Ngwa. How terrible.

I am from Jos and during the Jos crisis, I saw so many Yorubas, Igbos and others who grew up in Jos and were writing very nostalgic pieces about the crisis, enlightening the world about what was happening and mobilizing people for peace.
I never even saw the written piece of a Plateau indigene. Most of these people no longer live in Jos, but they owe their upbringing to Jos and hence their allegiance.
I have met people in the south, who are from the south but grew up in Jos or anywhere around the north and immediately they saw me and knew that I was from Jos, they immediately took me as a brother and had this sense of kinship and trust towards me. They will call me their BROTHER grin

Likewise me who is from Jos and I grew up in Delta state. Whenever I am outside Delta state and I meet a Deltan. I always feel this sense of kinship.
When I was in Kebbi state for youth service and I heard 2 people speaking Urhobo, I was very excited and I greeted and introduced myself with the little Urhobo I knew grin I was always patronizing them before others, till I left that place.

Life is a give and take. You cannot reap from where you did not sow.

This is why I ask you Igbos, what exactly have you people done to deserve the love of others?

You are not accomodating and welcoming to strangers, you are not very sociable and free. You people do not intermarry very well. You do not give opportunities to other people in areas you dominate. (Abia state govt sacking all Imo state workers from their civil service comes to my mind).
It is always you people taking from others. Outsmarting and defrauding others in business. Taking advantage of opportunities in people's lands but never giving them in yours e.t.c, yet you always cry of how all other Nigerians are against you or hate you people.

Continue in your self induced pity and delusions or wake up to smell the coffee.

2 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:57am On Oct 31, 2019
Nowenuse:

hmm yet the Benin's are far more progressive than most of other minority tribe with higher population.

With a small size of 10,400 square killometers
Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 8:40am On Oct 31, 2019
Nowenuse:

I think I agree with you here as a Jos indigene.

Yorubas lost more people and money in the 2008 & 2010 Jos crisis firstly because Yorubas are of 2 religions. Both Yoruba muslims & christians are caught in the crossfire between both sides unlike Igbos who easily join forces with the christian indigenes and only suffer casualty on one end.

That of Yoruba muslims is even the worse. Hausa fulani muslims see them as inferior/fake muslims, so Hausas even chase them away from muslim areas too.

Most importantly, Yorubas are the kind of people who tend to be cowardly outside their homeland. An Igbo man can fight you even in your own village just to defend himself, his family & properties.
Yorubas use to truly dominate Nasarawa Gong areas of Jos, but they allowed Hausa-fulanis chase them out and take over the place without even a fight or showdown.
If it was Igbos, such would never have happened.

Cc Mandarin
Well I was silent on the religious dichotomy of the Yorubas being a contributing factor to their major loss because I know that most Yoruba Muslims killed were actually killed by their fellow Hausa/fulani Muslims. All Christians( settlers and indigenes) hardly attack Yoruba Muslims except in the case where the particular Yoruba was found assisting the Hausa/Fulanis in the attacks. So it still was majorly a one sided attack. Their failure to stand up and defend their territory was sadly their undoing.
You see, one Yoruba here was yapping on how Igbos don't integrate in the north but he failed to realize that integration could be in various levels. To the Hausa and fulanis, integration means joining them to do whatever they're doing even if it is wrong. Yoruba Muslims who though copy Hausas in almost everything but fail to join in the attacks are those either killed or chased away. Those who join in the attacks ended up being killed. Is that what integration is all about? We( I and my friends some of who are Igbos) always joined in the Izere people cultural festival that involves the painting of faces are moving around Jos with dangerous weapons without having to hurt anyone. I can't remember the name of that festival now. We use to chant something like this: ' arom bara, arom batsang x2- yei ni shosh. The drums were loud and rhythmic. It was fun. Even some Yoruba boys used to join. The only people who don't join are the Hausa and fulanis. In fact they detest it but someone here will tell me Igbos don't integrate.

5 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by olril17(m): 9:25am On Oct 31, 2019
Nowenuse:

Thank you very much. Pazienza and some other Igbos here keep on throwing facts around like they are talking to ignorant illiterates.

Let him tell us the areas in rural yoruba he visited. See him claiming Ekiti is 35% muslim. Same Ekiti where it is very difficult to find an indigenous community that is predominantly muslim. Majority of the muslims in Ekiti state are even settlers from other parts of Yorubaland. To see an indigenous Ekiti family that are muslims is very rare.
In Ondo, only the Akoko and a part of Ore axis have significant muslims. Many communities in Ondo state do not even have a mosque.

See him claiming that Northern Edo is a muslim enclave grin.... Is it only Etsako west LGA among 6 LGAs that will make Edo north a muslim enclave?
Cos as it stands now, only Etsako west LGA still has a muslim majority in Edo state. Etsako east is now overwhelmingly christian while Etsako central is now predominantly christian. Even Etsako west where Auchi town is located is now becoming 50/50.
My brother's wife and business partner is from Etsako west so I know this place very well. These people are leaving islam very rapidly. My brother's wife was from a muslim family of about 24 children, they all practiced islam while growing up, but today, all of them are christians except 1 of them.

One thing I have observed is that Igbos are a very emotional and sentimental people. They are not happy that muslims dominate Nigeria, hence they think by rubbing it in the faces of we christians from other tribes, it will make us hate Nigeria more.

@Pazienza, JohnDon12, Yujin & co.
I am a christian from the middlebelt. I already dislike the core-north and resent their domination of Nigeria. I am also tired of the country and wish it dissolves or be restructured. However, I will not use lies or sentimental blackmail in order to see to this. Thank you.
I like reading posts from this person...

3 Likes

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by olril17(m): 9:29am On Oct 31, 2019
pazienza:
Nowenuse :

You think Arabs are not related to Jews? Even the Bible will tell you that Abraham/Ibraham gave birth to both Jews and Arabs. Even in Israel today, there are Arab Israelis and vice versa.
Ndiigbo have nothing in common with Hausa or Yoruba in any form. Niger delta? That's an amorphous word, because even they themselves have problems amongst themselves. The Bini vs Ijaw for Gelegele, the Urhobo vs Itsekiri for Warri. The Itsekiri vs Ijaw, etc. They have issues within themselves as well. They are a modern day babel.
Igbos fought a war with virtually the entire Nigeria. So there you have it.

The Ndokwas, Ikwerre, Ogba, etc are learners. They are only repeating history in bid to escape from Igbophobic vibes their non Igbo speaking neighbors are sending towards them. Many Manchurians after their lost power in China and became blamed by Hans for China problems, started denying their Manchurian origins to fit into anti Manchurian China now controlled by the Hans.
The British Royalty changed their German family name to avoid being linked to Germany, after Germany lost their first world war. Ndokwa and co are only reacting to your Igbophobia, they do not want to be given the Igbo treatment. You made it hard for them to accept who they are. It happens when a people lose a war.

"The war aim and (final) solution properly speaking
of the entire problem, is to discriminate against the
Igbos and in their own interest. Such discrimination
would include above all the detachment of those
oil-rich territories in the Eastern Region, in
addition, the Igbos' freedom of movement would be
restricted, to prevent their renewed penetration intoother parts, leaving any access to the sea to the Igbos is quite out of the question "

(FederalNigerian Minister speaking to E. C.
Schwarzenback, Swiss Review of Africa, February
1968).

The above is what it means to be Igbo, you can understand why Ndokwa and co are hell bent on escaping from such yorke. They are not first in history

The Eggon you talked about are nothing like Igbo. They are cunning, non accommodating , etc. Those are not Igbo traits. So yes! God forbid.

Benin was capital of multi ethnic Bendel state. Many Anioma, Urhobo, Itsekiri, whose fathers were civil servants in Bini city capital of old Bendel, stayed behind. It's akin to the high population of Anambra and Ebonyi,people in Enugu state, because it was once the capital of old Anambra state. That's how my own parents came to Enugu as well. Ilorin is a capital of multi ethnic Kwara state, with Fulani, Yoruba, Nupe, etc, all present.
Maiduguri was once the capital of an old state comprising Adamawa, Taraba, etc. Those states have many minority states.
Jos the tin city attracted many Igbo and other southern groups to the town. After the boom of Tin, many of these families stayed behind. Also old Plateau with Jos as capital included states like Nasarawa, so many groups from there are still there.

Just like you said, below, Land is very scarce and expensive in the SE and for me, I think this is one major reason settlers are discouraged from staying in the SE

I doubt there will be any problems, so long as they pay their rent and invest in the land like Igbos do when they migrate.

I believe it's your innate Igbo prejudice messing with your head. She is probably dissapointed she couldn't use Igbo familiarity to gain cheap favours from you. Not necessarily disappointed that you are not Igbo. She simply think that chances of getting favorable financial dealings with you might be difficult, now that you are not Igbo, and will not give her any special considerations. She is looking at profit lost, you are looking at tribe.

Nothing like this. You lots can't make up your mind about Ndiigbo, you are constantly looking to pin dirt on us. In one minute, you claim we are not united, in another, you claim we too tribal and united . Then you claim we are too much in love with money, then when it suits your narrative like the above, you spin it again.

Let me tell you. If you offer more money for rent on a shop than an Igbo in Onitsha. The Shop owner will chase away the current Igbo occupant for you to enter. And if you sell cheaper than other Igbo neighbours in that shop, or offer superior services, Igbo buyers will prefer to buy from you. We are business people who don't mix business with sentiments. This already contradicts the point you are making above.

How exactly do they not allow others come in?

By paying more for the shops than others can. By offering customers cheaper and better services than others can, thereby running others out of the market. By doing "Oso ahia ", where they go to the market entrance and practically woo buyers into their shops, while non Igbos are starved of customers because they prefer to stay in their shops than face humiliation of wooing many at times unwilling customers to their shops.

By use of "Igba Odibo", where every single trader was trained in the art of business management by a superior successful mentor, who also lease some of his customers to the "Odibo" to enable him survive early days, while non Igbos who jumped into the trade without prior training or experience soon run out of funds and fold up, the Igbos survive and dominate the market.
Rather to have a retrospection on why they failed in the business, the non Igbos go about spinning hate stories of how the Igbos used tribalism to chase them out of the market, even when the customers are not Igbos.

Cc oilpussy, Selemempe, scholes0
u are too emotional..in real life yorubas and Igbks roll together..go to the various markets in SW and see..its our politicians and not the people who breed hate..Igbo politicians included

1 Like

Re: Tiv And Ibibio Are The Joint 4th Most Populous Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 9:45am On Oct 31, 2019
Nowenuse:

And if I am to ask you guys. How or what exactly have Igbos done in order to deserve the love of their neighbouring minority tribes?
(Let us even leave out the Yorubas & Hausa-fulanis who are a majority tribe and assume majority rivalry between the big 3 tribes).

Do you guys think love, admiration and respect is just earned like that?

When I was in Uniben, my closest friend was an Oguta boy from Imo state. His father was Esan originally, but even his father grew up in Imo state. His mother was an Oguta indigene and they all grew up in Oguta. So I see absolutely nothing that is Esan about this guy.

This guy was the most Igbotic person in my department. He spoke Igbo better than all the full Igbos in the department, he gives Igbo parables grin and most times he was always the one that gingers the other Igbos to freely speak Igbo in the class.
(Igbos tend to have a language inferiority complex compared to Yorubas & Hausas). Yorubas & Hausas speak their language anywhere, anytime and anyhow and they don't care.

Whenever I was going to buy electronics in the market, I always take him along. Infact, I had a terrible deal once with an Igbo trader on a product. He was the one who saved my life and got me a better deal by scattering undiluted Igbo for them grin

Now this guy in his life can never badmouth Igbos or hate Igbos. If he goes to his village in Edo state and he hears his people talking bad about Igbos, he will instantly correct them. This is because he owes his upbringing to Igbo land and feels a certain allegiance and love to the land....

This is one way Hausas & Yorubas heavily win the hearts of other people, especially their neighbouring minority tribes.
They are very welcoming and accomodating of others in their land and they will never discriminate you as long as you integrate into the culture.
This my Oguta friend for example, I'm sure he will never be able to contest and win elections in Imo state because they will always remind him that his father is from Edo state.
Igbos are a very clannish and petty people when it comes to ethnic nationalism. However, if it is Hausas and even to an extent Yoruba, this my friend will easily be accepted, but in Igbo land, an Mbaise man will not even be accepted in Ngwa to lead Ngwa, even if his grandfather was born in Ngwa. How terrible.

I am from Jos and during the Jos crisis, I saw so many Yorubas, Igbos and others who grew up in Jos and were writing very nostalgic pieces about the crisis, enlightening the world about what was happening and mobilizing people for peace.
I never even saw the written piece of a Plateau indigene. Most of these people no longer live in Jos, but they owe their upbringing to Jos and hence their allegiance.
I have met people in the south, who are from the south but grew up in Jos or anywhere around the north and immediately they saw me and knew that I was from Jos, they immediately took me as a brother and had this sense of kinship and trust towards me. They will call me their BROTHER grin

Likewise me who is from Jos and I grew up in Delta state. Whenever I am outside Delta state and I meet a Deltan. I always feel this sense of kinship.
When I was in Kebbi state for youth service and I heard 2 people speaking Urhobo, I was very excited and I greeted and introduced myself with the little Urhobo I knew grin I was always patronizing them before others, till I left that place.

Life is a give and take. You cannot reap from where you did not sow.

This is why I ask you Igbos, what exactly have you people done to deserve the love of others?

You are not accomodating and welcoming to strangers, you are not very sociable and free. You people do not intermarry very well. You do not give opportunities to other people in areas you dominate. (Abia state govt sacking all Imo state workers from their civil service comes to my mind).
It is always you people taking from others. Outsmarting and defrauding others in business. Taking advantage of opportunities in people's lands but never giving them in yours e.t.c, yet you always cry of how all other Nigerians are against you or hate you people.

Continue in your self induced pity and delusions or wake up to smell the coffee.
Most of what you wrote here is true but I'll have to correct some wrong assumptions. As to language inferiority, it is not true. Igbos don't feel inferior speaking their language freely. You fail to realize the level of psychological suppression the Nigerian government placed on the Igbos. There's this look that great Igbos whenever they speak their language outside the territory they dominate especially in the north and no one can tell what can happen to him or her after identifying yourself through your language hence most of them speak English coupled with the accusations against Igbos of trying to force others to speak their language. Did you notice that until recently, most Igbo musicians of contemporary music rather infuse Yoruba or Hausa into their music? It is because of what I told you. Do you notice even in the clothes most Igbo politicians and celebs wear until recent? It is because of the same thing. The moment an Igbo man tries to assert his own culture, he becomes a suspect and is termed dominating. As for discrimination, my people do this a lot and as you rightly pointed out, it is not specific to others. We even do it to ourselves which is most worrisome. Hopefully, we will get over it soon. I believe it is born out of our highly competitive nature.
You see Pazienza is my friend, brother and comrade but in this particular case I'll fault him although I understand his fears. I lived in Jos and the relationship with the natives was not all rosy as we had to tolerate a lot too from unwarranted name callings to outright abuses but we were able to look at the brighter side and didn't have to condemn the indigenes. We noticed that ignorance was a huge reason for the numerous misrepresentations which most of you fail to factor in when Igbos are being discussed. After some events, most of them(natives) were apologizing to us for their actions and rightly blamed it on ignorance. We had no choice but to forgive. It still doesn't mean that once in a while I don't get to see some Plateau indigenes who hate Igbos but I know better to isolate those instances from the pervading present situation. The fear of a relapse in critical times is what Pazienza fears hence still painting you all in one brush. I can assure you that Igbos are a very nice people who unfortunately are sending most times the wrong vibes. Igbo are republicans and that makes them to have independent mindsets. Meet the positive minded one and enjoy a world hard to see. Meet the negative one, and have your heart filled with pains. As a people, we can hardly fit into the description most of you expect because it's never going to happen. See someone like Aguiyi Ironsi who would never listen to the advice of his fellow Igbo brothers to make his security aides to be from his own people but rather chose to remain professional. It cost him his life and placed all Igbos where we are today. See someone like Nzeogwu who everyone believes had a genuine plan for Nigeria but was betrayed by Ifeajuna who was so selfish. See someone like Ojukwu who I believed was the most misunderstood man of all. He sacrificed a lot from being pro Nigeria to having to lead a brutalized people at a very young age. Wealth was never a problem for him and he was on his way up the ladder to personal fame. He would have been a great leader if he had led a country. He was highly pan African and know the prejudice Africans faced. See how divers minded we are but to you all, we collectively want to dominate you. This is why I choose Biafra over Nigeria because that suspicion will always be there and Igbos will never change into the description most of you expect. Do you see what happened during the days SE dominated the Senate Presidency? It was all individual assertions. If Igbos are rightly integrated into Nigeria, all that's needed is for others to support the particular Igbo man against another suspected of being too ethnocentric. But thinking to suppress all Igbos simply because some of them appeared domineering will see to the continues rejection of Nigeria just as it stands today. If all Igbos were dominating like most you think, then we would have dominated all the surrounding minority tribes around us but it hasn't been so.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Amid VAT Saga, States Sue FG Over Sharing Of Stamp Duty Revenue / Lagos Commences Distribution Of Palliatives To Citizens / Buhari Hosts Lawmakers To A Presidential Dinner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 222
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.