Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,442 members, 7,816,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:33 PM

GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi (50874 Views)

Army Locks Up Soldier Earning N50K Who Lamented He Needs 70k To Visit His Family / Keyamo: LP ‘Riling Up’ Nigerians Against Judiciary Over Presidential Election / Ghanaian traders shut down more Nigerians’ shops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Angelfrost(m): 9:55am On Nov 01, 2019
Empredboy:
is closing the border the solution to our problems? Do you know that if electricity and good roads are provided and loans for business minds it will generate employments more than what rice can provide for us.

Brother, with all due respect, you are taking a very shallow and dim view of this border closure issue.

The border situation is just an aspect of a holistic approach to sanitize immigration, trans-border trade, quell smuggling, and directly/indirectly improve profits of local manufacturers of the same products we have been bringing in from other nations...

Great change begins with small changes... I have done my research, you should do yours. Most farmers are smiling as at today, local industries are generating more dividends with high likelihood of expanding soon, with consequent increase in employment... The people largely frazzled by all these are those who largely indulge in trans-border trade (Mostly smugglers).

All these are economic steps, with more soon to follow... The country is now generating more from taxes... Corruption in the downstream sector, including oil bunkering is largely reduced... Once the economic team takes the bold step to fully deregulate the downstream sector, and remove subsidy, huge tons of revenue will be generated...

Reforms in the power, labour, infrastructure sectors will be implemented too... I know I sound dreamy, but what else is there sir??! Get depressed and disillusioned??! Nah... The way forward is to look within and make internal changes, not constantly looking abroad!!!

1 Like

Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by i08033463477: 10:07am On Nov 01, 2019
Armed robber

Problemkid1:
Sharaaaap grin grin grin grin who dash monkey banana grin grin who wants to live in that ZOO country filled with Criminals and scammers grin grin your country is fvcked up man. Nobody gives a fvck about your ZOO country grin grin you're the ones smuggling criminals into our country, but thanks to buhari for closing the border grin hunger will dry you fools in that shitthol grin if you're not smuggling criminals and prostitutes into our country then why are you crying and wailing about the border closure grin grin foolish kanke eaters. Burnt fools crying all because of border closure. grin bunch of useless murderfvckers in one tiny zoo Hahahaha grin grin grin

Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Empredboy(m): 10:42am On Nov 01, 2019
Angelfrost:

Brother, with all due respect, you are taking a very shallow and dim view of this border closure issue.

The border situation is just an aspect of a holistic approach to sanitize immigration, trans-border trade, quell smuggling, and directly/indirectly improve profits of local manufacturers of the same products we have been bringing in from other nations...

Great change begins with small changes... I have done my research, you should do yours. Most farmers are smiling as at today, local industries are generating more dividends with high likelihood of expanding soon, with consequent increase in employment... The people largely frazzled by all these are those who largely indulge in trans-border trade (Mostly smugglers).

All these are economic steps, with more soon to follow... The country is now generating more from taxes... Corruption in the downstream sector, including oil bunkering is largely reduced... Once the economic team takes the bold step to fully deregulate the downstream sector, and remove subsidy, huge tons of revenue will be generated...

Reforms in the power, labour, infrastructure sectors will be implemented too... I know I sound dreamy, but what else is there sir??! Get depressed and disillusioned??! Nah... The way forward is to look within and make internal changes, not constantly looking abroad!!!
companies and farmers making profit with high price of goods and constant purchasing power? In scale of preference, between closing the border to help rice sector and providing enabling environment for businesses to grow which comes first? And which one will employ more in Long and short run? Which one will reduce the pain of the citizens in long and short run? I hope my questions aren't shallow?
Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Angelfrost(m): 11:42am On Nov 01, 2019
Empredboy:
companies and farmers making profit with high price of goods and constant purchasing power? In scale of preference, between closing the border to help rice sector and providing enabling environment for businesses to grow which comes first? And which one will employ more in Long and short run? Which one will reduce the pain of the citizens in long and short run? I hope my questions aren't shallow?

Both of them are distinct and not mutually inclusive... However, both can be done concurrently.

Enabling businesses to grow will not happen overnight. It is a long term process...

Let me reiterate this sir, Border closure is not merely to help the rice sector (imposing high import duties can make the price go up, and push consumers to local products, without need to close borders). Border closure is more encompassing and far-reaching: Influx of weapons to insurgents, smuggling of contrabands and evasion of taxes, etc.

At the end, it's all geared towards our collective national and economic safety.
Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by MuguYaro: 11:48am On Nov 01, 2019
If I can recall , the last few times I crossed the Benin - Nigerian border, though Sème is in Benin republic, 90% of those dealing there are Nigerian hustlers. So it’s obvious who takes the harsher blow. At least Benin is smuggling edible rice into Nigeria, but Nigeria keeps on smuggling prostitutes and criminals into Ghana. I have met tens of thousands of Nigerian girls here, it doesn’t take too long to know they survive by downloading their pants (if they wear any ) !
Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Empredboy(m): 12:00pm On Nov 01, 2019
Angelfrost:

Both of them are distinct and not mutually inclusive... However, both can be done concurrently.

Enabling businesses to grow will not happen overnight. It is a long term process...

Let me reiterate this sir, Border closure is not merely to help the rice sector (imposing high import duties can make the price go up, and push consumers to local products, without need to close borders). Border closure is more encompassing and far-reaching: Influx of weapons to insurgents, smuggling of contrabands and evasion of taxes, etc.

At the end, it's all geared towards our collective national and economic safety.
it's difficult to smuggle weapons at the border but easier at the port because port doesn't have scanning machine instead they do physical examination. Goods that passes the border are dutiable just like the port with the same fee depending on the content or country of original. You haven't met me nor know me but if you have to believe please make out time to visit these places. There are things I can't say online. Also yardua has increased the duty of rice in the past to 120% from 35% but didn't work. Do you know how many check points are there from the borders to the city? Compare that to the port? Please get your fact
Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Litmus: 12:13pm On Nov 01, 2019
More than 100 foreign-owned shops have been closed by Ghanaian traders in the second city, Kumasi.

Irate Ghanaian traders, believed to be members of the Ghana Union of Traders Association (Guta), have forcibly locked up shops with padlocks.

Local business owners say the foreign traders, mostly from Nigeria, are working illegally, but the Nigerian traders insist their businesses are legal.

The government has urged Ghanaian traders to desist from their action as it could affect relations with Nigeria.

This isn’t the first time foreign-owned shops have been locked up.

In June unidentified men closed more than 30 Nigerian-owned shops in Kumasi.

Similar actions were also taken in Accra.

The Nigerian Traders Association in Ghana have urged their members to remain calm while they try to solve the problem.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-africa-47639452?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5dbb14eb3709030669403328%26Ghanaian%20traders%20lock%20100%20foreign-owned%20shops%262019-10-31T17%3A44%3A01.399Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:4d469b85-09d2-4a21-8344-3de77379e0b6&pinned_post_asset_id=5dbb14eb3709030669403328&pinned_post_type=share

It will be a huge mistake now if Nigeria relents and open border. Ghana and Ghanaians, that feed fat on illusions, lies and slight of hands, will spread it around the world that they dictated to Nigeria and Nigeria relented because Nigeria saw Ghana's economic might, as exemplified by GUPTA or whatever. I really feel that Nigeria ought to close down all border routes into Nigeria if possible, let those that want to trade with Nigeria do so through the official channels such as the designated ports as others have argued. Another thing that Nigeria should do, that I would do if in power, is to put into places measures that prevent Nigerian parents sending thire wards to school and places of higher education in Ghana. Nigeria looses in all areas, sending their wards to schools in Ghana. Nigeria looses financially and there is the added danger Nigerians that school in Ghana will be infested with the Ghana mentality.

Nigerians need to put the good of the Nation and the future of our children first and really think about ECOWAS and the Free Africa Trade Zone. These things are not good for Nigeria, short or long term

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Just30: 9:40pm On Nov 01, 2019
[quote author=Multiplier7 post=83635090][/quote] this is a paatriotic task employed to get Ghanaians to pay taxes willingly
it works for us and that is why our tax to gdp ratio is 25% currently

worry about your bankrupt economy
Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Martins6545: 3:43am On Nov 02, 2019
Eteka1:
Since I don't know, recognize or believe in whatever you are referring to then you are wasting you time. But guess what, that thing will rather kill you and your people that it knows.

Ogun kill you and your entire generation

B@stard
Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Eteka1(m): 6:46am On Nov 02, 2019
Martins6545:

B@stard
Odiok ono fi.
Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Eteka1(m): 6:50am On Nov 02, 2019
Martins6545:

B@stard
You are the biggest fool on nairaland. Keep fooling yourself. Wetin be Ogun? You father.
Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Insectkiller: 8:50am On Nov 03, 2019
chrisagyei:
You Nigerians are very funny oo.I already told you that GUTA already hate you and had just gotten the perfect opportunity to get all Nigerian competitors and traders out from Ghana. Remember that Ghana is already 30 million people and has the second largest economy in West Africa and higher GDP per capita than Nigeria. There're more than 4 million Nigerians living and working in Ghana together with their families. Ghana doesn't really produce anything for exports into West Africa except some few alcoholic companies. Now if these millions of Nigerians living in Ghana are frustrated and forced out of Ghana, your same people will be shouting ECOWAS and xenophobia. Now let's see if any Nigerian will shout ECOWAS again. Just this year,just 400 Nigerian shops and businesses were locked in just one spare parts town in another city called Kumasi alone and you people were all over the place. You wannabe giants were mocking our leaders that they're begging you. For them they always want peace just like the South African leaders try to make peace buh we the people of Ghana don't want to see you Nigerians in our country and don't even care or heard of any border closure .F**k peace. That's the honest situation on the ground .Seriously I love my country Ghana more than myself." God Bless our Homeland Ghana, And Make Her Great And Strong ".I hate to see my fellow brothers and sisters from Nigeria insult my nation Ghana.

You are crazyyy..
What's even in ghana.

Chai! Nigerians going to Ghana to stay are just a disgrace.
Ghana, Ghana of all places...
Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Martins6545: 8:13pm On Nov 03, 2019
Eteka1:
You are the biggest fool on nairaland. Keep fooling yourself. Wetin be Ogun? You father.
Nor worry you go soon know, stupid idiot, Ogun
Kill you and your useless father, ogun kill your mama
Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Martins6545: 8:14pm On Nov 03, 2019
Eteka1:
Odiok ono fi.

Your stupid father wey dey craze for junction
Ogun kill you
Re: GUTA Locks Up Nigerians’ Shops In Kumasi by Cherez: 4:18am On Nov 13, 2019
iammo:
cool

Game on, lets see if ghanians wont suffer... we own your banks, own your trade (from spare part to petty trade) and your industries sell to nigerian market

Tomorrow you say Igbos are chest-beating but this same xter is what you exhibit against all.
You guys don't believe in peace or diplomacy but in forced supremacy. Watch your backs, oga

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

22 Soldiers Declared Wanted By Army For Running From Boko Haram / Wike Launches C4I Security Outfit To Tackle Insecurity, ESN (Photos) / Patience Jonathan’s Building Demolished In Abuja (Video, Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.