Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,760 members, 7,824,183 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT (15463 Views)

An Adventuring Experience During The Lockdown / Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! / Court Strikes Off Ugwuonye Emeka’s Name From Legal Practitioners' Roll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by ruggedtimi(m): 10:29pm On Nov 11, 2019
Port harcourt PPMC depot is the best place to do your i. t in terms of finance grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by tolukem(f): 10:31pm On Nov 11, 2019
franchasng:
Studying Engineering (Mechanical especially) in Nigeria is a waste of time, that's if you truly want to make impact not just to secure job.

But I have come to realize that engineering graduates are the smartest people on earth anywhere in the world. Forget medicine, engineering graduates are trained to fit-in in any field of life unlike medical graduates who are trained to fit in only in medical line.

You can see an engineer who is also a lawyer, a banker, a pharmacist, a doctor, a singer, a spiritualist, just name it, but you can hardly find a doctor who is a lawyer or an engineer or a banker.

You won't understand this unless you are truly trained engineer.

I am an Engineer, a software developer , a law student now also planning to study history, and above all, I am also an entrepreneur, only engineering graduates can be all this because they are trained to be versatile.

Op, work towards furthering your engineering study abroad, especially in US, Europe, Russia (chemical engineering only).

You can get free scholarship to study masters in Norway, Finland, etc to give you a new experience in new environment where you can also do exchange programs.

Most of the things you will learn in Nigerian schools as an engineer will be useless when you join the real industrial world. I did my IT with two different firms in 2 different sectors; AGIP and a manufacturing plant and they made me realized I wasted time solving Laplace Laplace transform in school when I ought to have spent more time at the workshops doing fabrications, learning CNC lathe machine programing and machinning processes.

Engineering students in Nigeria don't even know about robotics which ought to be part of mechanical engineering here because robotics is one sweet aspect of engineering Nigerian students need to explore to help Nigeria grow.

I quiet agree with you, I'm an Electrical Engineer, I'm an IT professional , a fashion designer, (it was too easy to ease into that ,(its all about measurements and dimensions). I'm a teacher, a business woman, I'm into buying and selling. It's crazy when people ask what I do...I have to pause and think, which angle do I want to tackle this question from?,heck I'm better at English than most English graduates I know, and I don't know flakes. Like you earlier said, an engineer can be more than one thing, heck you can be anything you want to be. PS I have a engineer friend who is going for medicine , I'm like dude�

6 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by naijadrivablog: 10:31pm On Nov 11, 2019
ruggedtimi:
Port harcourt PPMC depot is the best place to do your i. t in terms of finance grin

Chevron (80k per month), Agip, Schlumberger (around 60k or so) (Rumuibekwe office or trans Amadi) too.

1 Like

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Hawol30282: 10:32pm On Nov 11, 2019
Anonymous Account here..

Studied Production Engineering.

Interned at an IOC as a subsea operations engineer for a DW asset...

Exposed me to Oil and Gas industry more importantly I understood working in a multi cultural environment (very important).

Currently work as a corrosion engineer in another IOC..

Ciao

grin

Some mo.ro.ns are here saying studying mechanical engineering in Nigeria is a waste of time..

Those are the folks who couldn't find jobs

grin grin grin grin

Dont listen to them ooh..

Engineering is 99% operations and maintenance...

A lot of Nigerian trained engineers design wonderful stuff and work at the highest levels of engineering..

Engineering is a skill set, you can learn even from the comfort of your chair at home..University is just to set the environment..

Even in the US, there is a huge gap between industry and practice, which is why most companies will take you through a graduate program so that you can gain some scope as to what is necessary..

School is just to teach you how to develop a problem solving mindset ...

Capish...

I wont be replying DMs as I will losing this account shortly..

Bye!

grin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by ruggedtimi(m): 10:33pm On Nov 11, 2019
naijadrivablog:

Shevron too.
cool, but i.t for depot u wont for one day think about your salary, lots of incentives especially christmas period. I made atleast 5k everyday thats if work no dey. If your eye reach ground as an i.t in ph depot u fit go house with atleast 20k-100k per day
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 10:34pm On Nov 11, 2019
Mechanical
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by naijadrivablog: 10:35pm On Nov 11, 2019
ruggedtimi:
cool, but i.t for depot u wont for one day think about your salary, plent incentives especially christmas period. I made atleast 5k everyday thats if work no dey

NPA (Apapa) is good too.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 10:35pm On Nov 11, 2019
franchasng:
I studied engineering in Nigeria and have experienced engineering outside Nigeria, so I know what I am talking about.

Especially mechanical engineering, what we are studying in Nigeria is just maintenance engineering not mechanical engineering because Nigeria doesn't have the capacity to train mechanical engineers
when it moves.......

grin grin
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by ruggedtimi(m): 10:36pm On Nov 11, 2019
naijadrivablog:

NPA (Apapa) is good too.
so i heard
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 10:37pm On Nov 11, 2019
franchasng:
Studying Engineering (Mechanical especially) in Nigeria is a waste of time, that's if you truly want to make impact not just to secure job.

But I have come to realize that engineering graduates are the smartest people on earth anywhere in the world. Forget medicine, engineering graduates are trained to fit-in in any field of life unlike medical graduates who are trained to fit in only in medical line.

You can see an engineer who is also a lawyer, a banker, a pharmacist, a doctor, a singer, a spiritualist, just name it, but you can hardly find a doctor who is a lawyer or an engineer or a banker.

I am an Engineer, a software developer , a law student now also planning to study history, and above all, I am also an entrepreneur, only engineering graduates can be all this because they are trained to be versatile.

Op, work towards furthering your engineering study abroad, especially in US, Europe, Russia (chemical engineering only).

You can get free scholarship to study masters in Norway, Finland, etc to give you a new experience in new environment where you can also do exchange programs.

Most of the things you will learn in Nigerian schools as an engineer will be useless when you join the real industrial world. I did my IT with two different firms in 2 different sectors; AGIP and a manufacturing plant and they made me realized I wasted time solving Laplace Laplace transform in school when I ought to have spent more time at the workshops doing fabrications, learning CNC lathe machine programing and machinning processes.

Engineering students in Nigeria don't even know about robotics which ought to be part of mechanical
engineering here because robotics is one sweet aspect of engineering Nigerian students need to explore to help Nigeria grow.

What university are you currently studying law? I am considering law degree
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by AK481(m): 10:38pm On Nov 11, 2019
franchasng:
I studied engineering in Nigeria and have experienced engineering outside Nigeria, so I know what I am talking about.

Especially mechanical engineering, what we are studying in Nigeria is just maintenance engineering not mechanical engineering because Nigeria doesn't have the capacity to train mechanical engineers

I would like to to explain further , you can do more than that.

If you re referring to practical you might have a little point because of the inability of industries to young engineering students .

But if it’s the classroom teachings , syllabus and material then u re wrong!

The Gupta you use , the tharajas, the sadiku etc are standard syllabus used in IITs , Harvard ,MIT, Caltech. Inside out.

The thermodynamics syllabus of UNN is the same as caltech syllabus and the recommended text is the same . The difference is that there is an industry tied to each department and funds it research which we do not have .

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by OlawaleBammie: 10:38pm On Nov 11, 2019
Wetin consagin me?? I do my IT inside my room dey learn how to compose long epistle just to Woo a girl.

both the girl, fon, room, Don become past now. anyways, we tanGod

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by franchasng: 10:39pm On Nov 11, 2019
tolukem:

I quiet agree with you, I'm an Electrical Engineer, I'm an IT professional , a fashion designer, (it was too easy to ease into that ,(its all about measurements and dimensions). I'm a teacher, a business woman, I'm into buying and selling. It's crazy when people ask what I do...I have to pause and think, which angle do I want to tackle this question from?,heck I'm better at English than most English graduates I know, and I don't know flakes. Like you earlier said, an engineer can be more than one thing, heck you can be anything you want to be. PS I have a engineer friend who is going for medicine , I'm like dude�
That's why I said only trained engineers will understand. People always make mistake of thinking medical doctors are the smartest but heck they are wrong. I would have studied medicine if I loved seeing blood, that was the only barrier why I didn't study medicine.

But maybe in future to come I will study medicine to prove a point just as I am studying law now to prepare myself ahead of troubles I am going to be making with government and the thieves in Nigeria called politicians. I am ready to shake Nigeria with lots of trouble, so an Engineer can be a troublemaker too.

I forgot to mention that majority of bestselling authors are also engineers, and I am also an author.

Engineering prepares you to be versatile, that's one thing I love about engineering.

3 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by InfinixMine: 10:43pm On Nov 11, 2019
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by franchasng: 10:44pm On Nov 11, 2019
AK481:

I would like to to explain further , you can do more than that.

If you re referring to practical you might have a little point because of the inability of industries to young engineering students .

But if it’s the classroom teachings , syllabus and material then u re wrong!

The Gupta you use , the tharajas, the sadiku etc are standard syllabus used in IITs , Harvard ,MIT, Caltech. Inside out.

The thermodynamics syllabus of UNN is the same as caltech syllabus and the recommended text is the same . The difference is that there is an industry tied to each department and funds it research which we do not have .
I am not talking about theory. I mean practical.

Do you know one of the practical assignments of 2nd year students of Mechanical engineering at MIT I think in 2006 or so was to mold a vehicle engine block; 4 cylinder engine block that most industries cannot do in Nigeria.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by franchasng: 10:46pm On Nov 11, 2019
mikezuruki:

What university are you currently studying law? I am considering law degree
My life now is a very secret book unlike before due to my current involvements in politics, so I am sorry, I won't be able to answer that sir lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 10:48pm On Nov 11, 2019
franchasng:

I forgot to mention that majority of bestselling authors are also engineers, and I am also an author.

Engineering prepares you to be versatile, that's one thing I love about engineering.
you get mouth ooo, why don't you further your studies ( i mean masters, phd and so forth) than going back to studied unnecessary courses to prove a point.

2 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Mrshape: 10:48pm On Nov 11, 2019
franchasng:
That's why I said only trained engineers will understand. People always make mistake of thinking medical doctors are the smartest but heck they are wrong. I would have studied medicine if I loved seeing blood, that was the only barrier why I didn't study medicine.

But maybe in future to come I will study medicine to prove a point just as I am studying law now to prepare myself ahead of troubles I am going to be making with government and the thieves in Nigeria called politicians. I am ready to shake Nigeria with lots of trouble, so an Engineer can be a troublemaker too.

That's true I am also thinking of studying medicine just to prove a point that their is nothing in it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by salford1: 10:49pm On Nov 11, 2019
franchasng:

Engineering students in Nigeria don't even know about robotics which ought to be part of mechanical engineering here because robotics is one sweet aspect of engineering Nigerian students need to explore to help Nigeria grow.
Bolded are wrong.
If you spent time learning how to operate lathe machines and co, how and when would you have time to complete assignments and scholarstic labs?
The mathematical transforms are also part of the syllabus in all universities the world over.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by salford1: 10:55pm On Nov 11, 2019
Mine was years back. I worked in an engineering design office. Spent the whole internship generating protection and control schematics using AutoCAD and other design suites.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by franchasng: 10:56pm On Nov 11, 2019
Boringdraw1:
you get mouth ooo, why don't you further your studies ( i mean masters, phd and so forth) than going back to studied unnecessary courses to prove a point.
I want to have degrees in many fields people feel are too difficult, not for securing job but to prove a point and some to prepare for troublemaking in future cos I seem to be loving troublemaking everyday, just don't know why
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by WaywardSon(m): 10:59pm On Nov 11, 2019
ainas247:
smiley Learn in school... you would notice you didn't know anything if you jam better coy.
mine was comp sci.. school was teaching Cobol, Fortran Qbasic

I realized that all those stuff were not used in the real labor market...

One Advice....
Prepare yourself to learn and don't do as if you know much.

Good luck
thats one area in Nigerias educational system that has continued to baffle me, Computer science is so outdated in Nigeria
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by boninho: 11:01pm On Nov 11, 2019
I'm currently on the lookout for internship placement o.... Petroleum Engineering.....it's challenging that the field is quite narrow that only IT experience within the oil & gas industry will be truly beneficial...I would appreciate any assistance
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Mart1994(m): 11:03pm On Nov 11, 2019
AK481:
My IT defined my today’s career and created a path for me.

Testimony:

As an electrical engineering student , I had the opportunity to do my IT in sectors like ;

Powersystem : High voltage
Electronic circuit : low voltage
Communication: telecoms and it related sectors
Control system: automation
Computer and IT: hard wares, networking and application engineering.

I did my IT in computer and Information technology,in a company called systemtech services in Ogunalana drive ( God bless the owners and management of the company)during my IT I found a particular intrest in networking and system support, I was opportuned to write and pass my CCNA before finishing my IT.

The IT job as an intern took took me into many companies like etisalat, glo, Mtn ,Friesland ,....I was serious about it and wasn’t driven by money.

I graduated and I was focused in Infotech,served in Lagos and after service I was called back by the same company to resume as a executive trainee. Why did they do that?

Because of the relationship and hard work I displayed during my INtern period , also, a 2-1 graduate of UNN.

After working a while for the company,I wrote and pass a couple of ccna collab,ccna wireless ,and ccnp collaboration, attempted CCIE lab.then I left to a top FMCG company in Nigeria resign and left for another top FMCG doing Information technology jobs.

Today I am a Registered Engineer with specialization in computer Engineering and IT.

The point is that, Guys take your internship serious, it could define your career on the long run.

Last bullet: avoid government agency only apply there if u have no option in the private sector, not even nnpc.

Hello sir, am interested in networking, and I'd love us to discuss more about it, how to go about the program and the available job opportunities u can get as a certified member... I have sent u an email, probably we should discuss more there ...
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Khris007: 11:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
wow
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 11:09pm On Nov 11, 2019
Posts made by some people make you just want to work harder. I'm currently seeking an IT placement (3 months) in lagos, preferably on the mainland. I am a computer science undergraduate (UNN) with a passion for learning and it would appreciate any assistance rendered. Thanks
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 11, 2019
franchasng:
My life now is a very secret book unlike before due to my current involvements in politics, so I am sorry, I won't be able to answer that sir lipsrsealed

It's okay. I like the fact that you could do all these things. I have plans too. in fact, I'll be starting my masters in January.

if you consider here too public, kindly email me. onwuzuruikemichael72@yahoo.com
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 11:19pm On Nov 11, 2019
I read electrical engineering

My first IT was in siemens [1999]
the next was in a company called Tacas Associates [2000]
My NYSC was at Aluminum rolling mills Ota [2002]

in siemens IT was more of rotation through various divsions of Siemens at the time
they had an electrical workshop where they fabricated electrical control panels for distribution, sutomation, control etc

they had a building services that was executing electrical installations for construction projects [ i recall shell trustees, qusrters, Africa Reinurance building, chartered bank head office [i think it is standard chartered now]

they had a communications division that deployed and maintained PABX equipment
they had an IT division that supported the Siemens-Nixdorf pcs they were selling
they had support division that worked on their Simatic Automation software
they had a sales division

what did i learn in siemens - i learnt the basics of panel fabrication. panel frame, busbar, MCCBs

in Tacas, i basically did building services design. this was 2000, so it was the old fashioned way. drawing board, tee square.

in aluminum rolling mills, it was basically plant maintenance

your appreciation for your course will depend alot on the company you work in.

2 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nastydroid(m): 11:22pm On Nov 11, 2019
Blackicegold:
Is it possible to do ones I T offshore.?
I don't think you can,due to the hazards involved
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nastydroid(m): 11:24pm On Nov 11, 2019
naijadrivablog:

NPA (Apapa) is good too.
I declined their offer due to bad roads,the offer was 15k.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 11:32pm On Nov 11, 2019
franchasng:

MISINFORMATION.

With this mentality, we will remain the way we are for generations unborn, with all your knowledge, you don't know specialty makes you better in your field.

Who told you Engineers are better than Doctors because they can do XYZ?

Nobody pays you well as a generalist to do a Job, that is why Most graduates in Nigeria are very UN-employable. They are all generalist, they can be Marketer, Customer Service & pepper sellers. Nigerians always want to put their eggs in many basket, It doesn't work with Careers.

Imagine 3 different & distinct careers -> Mechanical Engineering -> software developer -> Law -> Enterpreneurship

No relationship at all.

2 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by idu1(m): 11:32pm On Nov 11, 2019
Criticaltemp:
Did my IT at nnpc towers abuja..telecoms dept will never forget me.. Once told a fulani female moslem coliq that i wanted her to do something for me.. To give me blowjo* (BJ). Thinking she knows what i meant and will know am joking , she shipishly went to ask the meaning of bj from my supervisor a northerner. He came to my office with her and asked loudly in the presence of all my fellow IT coliq.. I just off that day

What is coliq?

Are you kidding me?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Am Proud To Be An Accounting Technician Of Ican-sign In If U Are / Should I Resign My Teaching Job And Face My Bike Business Full Time? / The Beautiful Pain Of Working From Home - Marvejohndaily.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.