Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,325 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT (15443 Views)

An Adventuring Experience During The Lockdown / Have You Ever Been FIRED At Work? Share Your Experience! / Court Strikes Off Ugwuonye Emeka’s Name From Legal Practitioners' Roll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Blackicegold(m): 8:14am On Nov 12, 2019
farady:

Yes, very possible especially if on a 6 months or one year I.T. For you to be eligible for selection to make the crew, you must have impressed your supervisor and or manager, as one who is hardworking, dedicated and some brilliance or intelligence. However, you will be given or undergo some safety trainings like swimming/survival at sea training.

I am studying electrical electronics engineering.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Halezis(m): 8:17am On Nov 12, 2019
I'm studying Mechanical Engineering and Currently seeking an IT placement for my 6 months IT starting around next April.

Nice one OP
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by boninho: 8:23am On Nov 12, 2019
Good morning all

I am a graduate of Electronic Engineering with a master's degree in Petroleum Engineering. I have basic experience in the use of industry tools like SGemS for reservoir characterization, Sapphire for PTA as well as @Risk for E&P investment profitability evaluation. I'm also a highly effective user of Excel
I'm actively seeking for internship opportunities to get industry experience

I would appreciate any assistance
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by boninho: 8:26am On Nov 12, 2019
farady:

Yes, very possible especially if on a 6 months or one year I.T. For you to be eligible for selection to make the crew, you must have impressed your supervisor and or manager, as one who is hardworking, dedicated and some brilliance or intelligence. However, you will be given or undergo some safety trainings like swimming/survival at sea training.
Please any recommendation on where I can check out concerning this....I'm an Electronic Engineering graduate with a master's degree in Petroleum Engineering. I'm actively seeking for internship opportunities
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nadoson1(m): 8:27am On Nov 12, 2019
I like this, I graduated as a MECHANICAL ENGINEER but later added up to ELECTROMECHANICAL ENGINEERING. during my school days as a PRODUCTION ENGINEER(as an option), LATHE MACHINE is our chief machine, we had up to 10 LATHE MACHINES & up to 4 CNC MACHINES but the school management never allowed us close to the machines to talk more of allowing us practice what we were studying but only they does was once in a time telling us from afar the component of the machines and their operations but at the end of our graduation ONLY 98% of so called PRODUCTION ENGINEER were not able to handle the MULTI PURPOSE MACHINE in operation. also they were calling BOLT & NUTS by their engineering codes like M10X50. M20X100 etc. .but never explained what they meant by that but we normally call them 10BOLT & NUT, 12BOLT & NUT etc. tastfarward to my INDUSTRIAL TRAINING(IT) i was lucky to be accepted in SEVENUP BOTTLING COMPANY, to me i believe NYSC should be deleted while encouraging IT's. I put down my self on the floor to get what i never had in school.i am a good MACHANIST today because i went to IT, I can tell the number of BOLTS & NUTS on seeing without matching it with a spanner, i am a WELDER today because i never interested with the five thousand stippend(#5000) but to be called a PRACTICAL ENGINEER which i am proud of today. my surprise when i got back to school; my colleagues in school was seeing me as a god when they saw me operating on the LATHE & other MACHINES in the school workshop, FINALLY; during our final project, due to the nature of the project and its complexity(AUTOMATED ELECTRONIC INDUCTION FURNACE) we were given the project as a group, when the group agreed to out contract the fabrication which the man failed to do then i took up the FABRICATION BY MY SELF & my mates & some lecturers were amazed & happy on seeing me doing it so IT HELPS especially in ENGINEERING FIELD.

1 Like

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by PrincessGift(f): 8:38am On Nov 12, 2019
Hello house,please where can a mass communication student do her IT,I reside in Lagos.. Thank you
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by farady(m): 8:56am On Nov 12, 2019
boninho:

Please any recommendation on where I can check out concerning this....I'm an Electronic Engineering graduate with a master's degree in Petroleum Engineering. I'm actively seeking for internship opportunities

Okay depending on your location you will need to physically drop your applications with any of the IOCs, servicing companies like Schlumberger, Saipem, Dormanlong etc. I would have said visit their websites but less than 1% will respond. If you are in Lagos, just taking upon yourself to walk along the streets of VI and Lekki Phase 1. Funny thing is that near all of these companies especially the servicing group do not have sign boards. So you will do plenty of asking, like one guy on this thread that said it was a security man at of the banks on the Island directed him to a servicing company where he dropped his application.

Since you are already a graduate with a post graduate degree, I will advice you specify in you are willing to learn and gain experience. Include in your CV or application skills you have already acquire like being able to use the computer and good with Microsoft packages (e.g word, excel and PowerPoint). If you are not yet good in them please go register and learn. If you can add MS Project, very good. Don't put money in front oh. Say you are ready to work pro bono (free of charge) cheesy. Above all pray to God and commit your plans to Him, pray for His divine favour.

You can also reach out to beloved church members too.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by farady(m): 8:58am On Nov 12, 2019
Nadoson1:
I like this, I graduated as a MECHANICAL ENGINEER but later added up to ELECTROMECHANICAL ENGINEERING. during my school days as a PRODUCTION ENGINEER(as an option), LATHE MACHINE is our chief machine, we had up to 10 LATHE MACHINES & up to 4 CNC MACHINES but the school management never allowed us close to the machines to talk more of allowing us practice what we were studying but only they does was once in a time telling us from afar the component of the machines and their operations but at the end of our graduation ONLY 98% of so called PRODUCTION ENGINEER were able to handle the MULTI PURPOSE MACHINE in operation. also they were calling BOLT & NUTS by their engineering codes like M10X50. M20X100 etc. .but never explained what they meant by that but we normally call them 10BOLT & NUT, 12BOLT & NUT etc. tastfaward to my INDUSTRIAL TRAINING(IT) i was lucky to be accepted in SEVENUP BOTTLING COMPANY, to me i believe NYSC should be deleted while encouraging IT's. I put down my self on the floor to get what i never had in school.i am a good MACHANIST today because i went to IT, I can tell the number of BOLTS & NUTS on seeing without matching it with a spanner, i am a WELDER today because i never interested with the five thousand stippend(#5000) but to be called a PRACTICAL ENGINEER which i am proud of today. my surprise when i got back to school; my colleagues in school was seeing me as a god when they saw me operating on the LATHE & other MACHINES in the school workshop, FINALLY; during our final project, due to the nature of the project and its complexity(AUTOMATED ELECTRONIC INDUCTION FURNACE) we were given the project as a group, when the group agreed to out contract the fabrication which the man failed to do then i took up the FABRICATION BY MY SELF & my mates & some lecturers were amazed & happy on seeing me doing it so IT HELPS especially in ENGINEERING FIELD.

Bravo!!! Heaven is your limit!
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by boninho: 9:08am On Nov 12, 2019
farady:

Okay depending on your location you will need to physically drop your applications with any of the IOCs, servicing companies like Schlumberger, Saipem, Dormanlong etc. I would have said visit their websites but less than 1% will respond. If you are in Lagos, just taking upon yourself to walk along the streets of VI and Lekki Phase 1. Funny thing is that near all of these companies especially the servicing group do not have sign boards. So you will do plenty of asking, like one guy on this thread that said it was a security man at of the banks on the Island directed him to a servicing company where he dropped his application.

Since you are already a graduate with a post graduate degree, I will advice you specify in you are willing to learn and gain experience. Include in your CV or application skills you have already acquire like being able to use the computer and good with Microsoft packages (e.g word, excel and PowerPoint). If you are not yet good in them please go register and learn. If you can add MS Project, very good. Don't put money in front oh. Say you are ready to work pro bono (free of charge) cheesy. Above all pray to God and commit your plans to Him, pray for His divine favour.

Thanks a lot. I reside in Port Harcourt. I will implement all you have said here and see how it goes
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by mayprince(m): 9:22am On Nov 12, 2019
farady:

I don't know if you can also help in recommending industry for elect elect engr in Ibadan. Thanks
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Jokerman(m): 9:39am On Nov 12, 2019
spyglaxx:

You should explore that education/ school aspect of this experience of yours. It pays especially in the southwest.

Thanks I'm putting a lot more resources on it
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by farady(m): 10:21am On Nov 12, 2019
mayprince:

I don't know if you can also help in recommending industry for elect elect engr in Ibadan. Thanks

I think what you will have in Ibadan are FMCG like breweries, drinks manufacturing , food processing etc.

1 Like

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by ehiksalex(f): 10:34am On Nov 12, 2019
PatrickOkunima:
Electrical Engineering. Did my IT onboard. The experience was awesome.
. Please how did you go about it? I need advice
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by PatrickOkunima(m): 10:41am On Nov 12, 2019
ehiksalex:
. Please how did you go about it? I need advice

You want to do your IT on a man of war?
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by ehiksalex(f): 10:47am On Nov 12, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

You want to do your IT on a man of war?
I don't get your question?
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by PatrickOkunima(m): 10:50am On Nov 12, 2019
ehiksalex:
I don't get your question?

A man of war is a military ship.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by ehiksalex(f): 10:50am On Nov 12, 2019
Hey guys! I'm currently studying electrical and electronics engineering, I'm looking for a company to do my IT next year in Lagos any recommendations will be nice�
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by ehiksalex(f): 10:51am On Nov 12, 2019
PatrickOkunima:

A man of war is a military ship.
oh! Can we talk in private? So you can explain better
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:00am On Nov 12, 2019
ehiksalex:
oh! Can we talk in private? So you can explain better

There won't be need for that. I interned onboard a military ship because I was in the military then. Civilians cannot do IT onboard a military ship.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 12:04pm On Nov 12, 2019
Did my IT at warri refining and pertrochemical company. The experience was ok, what we did was mainly maintenance. I was first place at the manager of maintenance office, i worked with his secretary for like a month, then i was transfer to maintenance planning office, that was were i learnt how to take vibration of motors with a vibrometer. After taking the vibration i did data entry of the values obtain using excel. In maintenance planning we approve all maintenance work and schedule them. From there i was transfer to the main maintenance workshop, i learnt a little of coil rewinding(that shit wasn't easy), i also work in the electronics section(boring place, all we did was soldering) then i went to one other section were we repair pneumatic valves(i have forgotten the name of that section. i use hammer nack my hand tire for there, those ogas will be laughing at you). I was then tranferred to power plant and utility (sweet place), here there was an explosion at one of the bus bar and we had to do maintenance work on it for more than two weeks, infact we did an overall maintenance on the substation. we also carried out maintenance work on most motor through out the refinery. Was about to be transferred to control b4 my IT ended. Working there was fun sha making friends with those nnpc staff daughters was part of the fun.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Nobody: 4:00pm On Nov 12, 2019
acorntree:

its good to be versatile. I like her spirit. Most graduates are unemployable bec. they are one way traffic. Delving into different things will make you to be exposed to different things.

Bros, nobody ever became great by being a generalist, those European you envy didn't get to where they are with such mentality.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Maj196(m): 8:54pm On Nov 12, 2019
ehiksalex:
Hey guys! I'm currently studying electrical and electronics engineering, I'm looking for a company to do my IT next year in Lagos any recommendations will be nice�
My house would be perfect wink

2 Likes

Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Ephramed(m): 1:36am On Nov 13, 2019
Please I am a graduate of mechanical engineering, I have experience as a technician (automobile/heavy truck,machine tooling,MIG,TIG,electrical & oxyacetylene welding,bench work) very familiar with workshop safety & procedures and also with maintenance/service engineer I am currently looking for any firm(preferable to work in a workshop) that will take me in or a recommendation. I moved from the north reside in lagos but willing to move to any business location.
Can work with AutoCAD,excel,and have data mining & data analysis skill.

Quote me and I will send a pm.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Evangkatsoulis: 9:28am On Nov 13, 2019
farady:

Hanty, I disagree with your second paragraph pls. On the contrary most of those that studied or studying medicine on the average are smarter compared to engineering students. Majority of these medical students were even exceptionally good in maths.

So it's much more easier for a medical doctor to take on any other course compared to the engineer.

Evidence for this statement?
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Evangkatsoulis: 9:37am On Nov 13, 2019
My useless school only gave 1 week breaks between semesters. And we always had holiday courses during the 3-month break between sessions.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by ehiksalex(f): 8:57pm On Nov 13, 2019
Maj196:
My house would be perfect wink
lol send your address
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by KunleyY19(m): 1:26pm On Nov 14, 2019
franchasng:
Studying Engineering (Mechanical especially) in Nigeria is a waste of time, that's if you truly want to make impact not just to secure job.

But I have come to realize that engineering graduates are the smartest people on earth anywhere in the world. Forget medicine, engineering graduates are trained to fit-in in any field of life unlike medical graduates who are trained to fit in only in medical line.

You can see an engineer who is also a lawyer, a banker, a pharmacist, a doctor, a singer, a spiritualist, just name it, but you can hardly find a doctor who is a lawyer or an engineer or a banker.

You won't understand this unless you are truly trained engineer.

I am an Engineer, a software developer , a law student now also planning to study history, and above all, I am also an entrepreneur, only engineering graduates can be all this because they are trained to be versatile.

Op, work towards furthering your engineering study abroad, especially in US, Europe, Russia (chemical engineering only).

You can get free scholarship to study masters in Norway, Finland, etc to give you a new experience in new environment where you can also do exchange programs.

Most of the things you will learn in Nigerian schools as an engineer will be useless when you join the real industrial world. I did my IT with two different firms in 2 different sectors; AGIP and a manufacturing plant and they made me realized I wasted time solving Laplace Laplace transform in school when I ought to have spent more time at the workshops doing fabrications, learning CNC lathe machine programing and machinning processes.

Engineering students in Nigeria don't even know about robotics which ought to be part of mechanical engineering here because robotics is one sweet aspect of engineering Nigerian students need to explore to help Nigeria grow.

maybe your school though... because CNC lathe processing has been incorporated in our coursework since Year 2.. Heads on practical with about 17machines
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by KunleyY19(m): 1:43pm On Nov 14, 2019
I am Civil Engineering student will be embarking on my IT by May next year... I will sincerely appreciate if you can help recommend some top Construction Companies with active ongoing projects in Lagos State...
Thank You All.
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by imustmakeit(m): 5:14pm On Nov 16, 2019
DanXplore:
My IT was productive (I studied chemical engineering). I Interned at the Kaduna Refining and Petrochemical Company at the production unit and the experience gained fashioned my career path. It influenced my undergradute project and choice of discipline at the masters level.
if you don't mind, could you please brief me on how the application for IT placement at the krpc is and how to get it with ease and how accommodation is like for a non resident of the area.. Thanks
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by meckyblaze: 11:46pm On Dec 06, 2019
BILL OF ENGINEERING MEASUREMENT
AND EVALUATION (BEME)

A BEME (Bill of Engineering Measurement and Evaluation) also called Bill of quantities is a document which lists all the items necessary for the complete construction of the works. Each item includes a description, an expected measure or quantity as calculated from drawings and classified according to trade or location within the works as well as a unit price and total cost.

Get more info on https://diyokestraining.org.ng/civil.php
Re: Engineering Graduates & Practitioners- Share Your Experience During Your IT by Roysnickz: 11:08am On Dec 08, 2019
franchasng:
My dream for studying engineering as a youngster then was to become a renowned inventor like some German and American inventors I so much cherished then and studied every of their step, but unfortunately, finding myself in the Nigerian dead higher institution killed that dream, and I ended up studying to make best grades and possibly get employment in top IOC.

You know human dreams and goals changes as one advances in age and as you get more life experiences and exposure, so after graduation and gaining some real life experiences, my goals changed....from becoming a bookologist and inventor to becoming a company owner, an industrialist, and maybe a rare-breed of politician not the thieves you have in Nigeria now.

So my studying law is part of preparation for the future not to be employed or to be going to the court to practice, but for personal defense, experience, empowerment and business expansion. I am heading towards Labour & Industrial law anyway.

So I didn't further in Mechanical Engineering because I don't plan going back to full time engineering practice, that time has passed in my life, there are new goals now
. I think you guys are misleading the younger ones. Your painting of the Nigerian engineering situation is not correct. I don't care if you have a first class degree in Mechanical Engineering. The situation is as bad as you guys are painting it. I know and also of a whole lot of Nigerian engineers who are making wonders in the field of engineering globally. Why can't you be one with your best grade. Your excuse of the Nigerian educational system killing your dream of renowned invention is also leaned. Most of those German and American inventors you referred to had not university education... That however, did not stop them from achieving what they did. Why can't you also be like them and invent even without the the knowledge of your university education. Mechanical Engineering principles like any other science course is based on the application of the knowledge, principles and laws of physical science... those can be self studied in the comfort of your room without been to the university. Thus, you can actually study Mechanical Engineering and invent without going the university.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cleaner Lagos Initiatives Sacks 300 Sanitation Workers / Terrence Benjamin Chukwu Unveils N200,000 Grant Monthly For Startups / I Am Proud To Be An Accounting Technician Of Ican-sign In If U Are

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.