Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,619 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? (30574 Views)

Now That Border Is Opened,how Much Is Bag Of Rice In Your State? / ASUU STRIKE: A Door Locked And Has Been Tried By Many Keys- Comr. Agubuche Chile / WAEC GCE APPLICATION PORTAL FOR 2018/2019 REGISTRATION IS OPENED - 09082964145 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by MarioKizito1(m): 12:27pm On Nov 13, 2019
Simple answer is air pressure. As far as earth is concerned, pressure is everywhere. Be it the ocean, open space or your room.

What makes your door or window open or close when another is opened is because it alters the air balance in the room.

Take for example, I live in a one room with a kitchen, and a bathroom. When I open my window, my bathroom door closes, why? Because the air in the bathroom surges forward to escape through the window of my room. For it to do this, it has to pass through the bathroom door, which is the only entrance into my room proper from the bathroom.

When the above occurs, the bathroom door which submit to the direction of the pressure of the moving air in the room (in this case towards the window) and this causes the door to move (open or close) or just make a little sound.

All these happens in a matter of seconds.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by demeele: 12:31pm On Nov 13, 2019
Wave from the opened door as well as the vacuum we create when we open a door tend to shake adjoining windows and doors
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by AkwalaIke1: 12:32pm On Nov 13, 2019
[s]
helinues:

Fu...ckinly enjoying the contracts . We are making use of just 1 account while you are forced to make use of 10 accounts in a week.

Game on buddy. We will dedicate time to create works for you by making comments to cancel ( Out of the abundant time ) kiss kiss kiss kiss kiss
[/s]
trash
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by deavicky(m): 12:47pm On Nov 13, 2019
donstan18:
It's mostly common in a building its doors were wrongly installed.
not true, it is caused by differential pressure.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by duullie88(m): 12:47pm On Nov 13, 2019
Philipmems:
LoL, its air pressure around the room. In most cases if your window is closed and you push open or close a door, the change in pressure will cause another door or window to react.

Very correct, it applies to curtains too
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Weirdgee: 12:47pm On Nov 13, 2019
Philipmems:
LoL, its air pressure around the room. In most cases if your window is closed and you push open or close a door, the change in pressure will cause another door or window to react.
It might be true sha but I have not experience it once.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Nov 13, 2019
BananaTree:

You're the first person to have used the right term, sadly, as a question. grin
I used it deliberately, I wasn't there when the scientist defined it and I haven't read the history of the word/ origin of it, it might mean another thing in/on another PLANET so I prefer using question marks cheesy
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 13, 2019
0monnak0da:
And you are the President of the Royal society of Engineers?

"right term"

How do you know this ?

Did you read it in a book or did you conduct experiments to establish this

What is the explanation? Giving it a name of any kind is not an explanation
That is just egotism

Guy, it's not fight angry . I expect that anyone who did high school physics should know it's resonance. Sometimes, when you play music through loudspeaker, the windows vibrate. Other objects as well vibrate around their main position. It's mere vibration.

But if I'm wrong, register engineer, please, teach me sir.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Xmen149(m): 1:01pm On Nov 13, 2019
UrVillagePpl:
Greetings Nairalanders,

Please I want to ask a question, What is the synergy between doors that make the door shake or open (if properly not close). This happens whenever a door is shut or open and as a result, the other doors tend to make a sound (even though they are farther apart). Asking Google would have been a good option but don’t even know the question to ask.

A minor who happens to be my nephew keeps asking me this question and considering the fact that I do not know I always tell him it’s a normal thing and immediately send him away grin grin lipsrsealed
Just a moment ago, I gave him the same reply when he asked me the question. But this time around it increased my curiosity of wanting to know the science behind it.

So Nairalanders over to you....

lol,. thermodynamics

happens in cars with with air tight doors,.if it cnt move the other doors it will push the air gently into your ears you will feel it

when air (warm ,cold)is forcefully compressed(in this situation trapped by jamming the first door) in vacuum,.it instantly looks for way out (the force initiated by jamming the door travels through medium:air,water,tunnel)and the weekest link becomes the way out in the enclosed vacuum

another example is u fill Coke bottle with water leaving little space and close the top with your palm applying enough force the force will find a way out by opening the base of the bottle

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Afrobeatsglobal(m): 1:04pm On Nov 13, 2019
Its Called Resonance in Physics, Situation that makes A body that set other bodies into vibration
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by 0monnak0da: 1:05pm On Nov 13, 2019
BananaTree:

Guy, it's not fight angry . I expect that anyone who did high school physics should know it's resonance. Sometimes, when you play music through loudspeaker, the windows vibrate. Other objects as well vibrate around their main position. It's mere vibration.

But if I'm wrong, register engineer, please, teach me sir.
Fight? Have I slapped you yet?
Even if you did high school physics do not believe everything you read in books Life is not that simple
I did physics and do not "know" it is resonance.
So when loudspeakers cause windows to vibrate it is resonance
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by 0monnak0da: 1:10pm On Nov 13, 2019
Afrobeatsglobal:
Its Called Resonance in Physics, Situation that makes A body that set other bodies into vibration
"situation" what is situation?

I am sorry it is not resonance at all?
Your English is incomprehensible
Why does one body make another vibrate?
Giving a phenomena a name is not an explanation.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by 0monnak0da: 1:15pm On Nov 13, 2019
If you take that door while it is open no matter how hard you bang it it will not cause the described phenomena.
This is only observed when the door makes contact with its frame

If fact the phenomenon is observed even if the first door makes no sound

So we should be looking for a mechanical and not and acoustic explanation

The other thing is this does not happen in all structures so we must also look at the materials used for the building and doors in other rooms
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Nobody: 1:17pm On Nov 13, 2019
0monnak0da:

Fight? Have I slapped you yet?
Even if you did high school physics do not believe everything you read in books Life is not that simple
I did physics and do not "know" it is resonance.
So when loudspeakers cause windows to vibrate it is resonance

OK sir.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by elsom: 1:17pm On Nov 13, 2019
It is as a result of change in air pressure. When you open a door, air rushes in increasing the pressure within. This in turn will cause other doors somehow sharing space with the affected room to move.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Alzirida(f): 1:27pm On Nov 13, 2019
Khaleell001:
the quotes I am reading are not really scientific enough.

Some snippets here and there.

I want to know why it occurs, the reasons?

It has little to do with vibration and resonance.

The main reason is because, in a room (especially quiet room) it is filled with stagnant/relatively calm air..... So on opening the door, it disrupt the calm air invariably sending ripples to the adjacent doors...most affected is the opposite doors.

1 Like

Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by abdullkabar(m): 1:27pm On Nov 13, 2019
There are many things in play
Vibration, Resonance, Reverberation, Air pressure, Suction
But the one with the highest effect is based on the room design
A one room effect, can't be compared to an effect in a bedroom flat
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by colestephan86: 1:33pm On Nov 13, 2019
UrVillagePpl:
Greetings Nairalanders,

Please I want to ask a question, What is the synergy between doors that make the door shake or open (if properly not close). This happens whenever a door is shut or open and as a result, the other doors tend to make a sound (even though they are farther apart). Asking Google would have been a good option but don’t even know the question to ask.

A minor who happens to be my nephew keeps asking me this question and considering the fact that I do not know I always tell him it’s a normal thing and immediately send him away grin grin lipsrsealed
Just a moment ago, I gave him the same reply when he asked me the question. But this time around it increased my curiosity of wanting to know the science behind it.

So Nairalanders over to you....
It's called air pressure.
Your room is filled with air at anytime, so when you open a door and or open it to any openings or closed door the only place where you will see visible reaction is on the doors or windows.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by NnamdiCheges(m): 1:57pm On Nov 13, 2019
Very correct!
Opening or closing d door, increases or reduces d pressure of air in d room. As such, it moves or shakes a loosely closed door in d room.
Sound waves have nothing to do with that phenomenon.
It’s actually pressure change in the room that causes it.
Use the syringe as an example, when it’s drawn, (plunger pulled) the pressure in the syringe drops or reduces and fluid rushes in but when it’s pushed in, ( plunger pushed in) the pressure increases and there’s an impact on the opposite end...content of the syringe is compressed and fluid rushes out or if you place your finger tip on the nozzle (opening), you’ll fill air pushing on your finger...

Back to the room using the syringe analogy.
Direction of the door opening affects pressure change and whether the opposite door will swing open or shut so imagine the room or space to be some sort of vacuum. When the door is opened outwards(away from the room) the pressure drops...sucking on the air particles and opposite door closes( like drawing a syringe)

Likewise, opening the door inwards, increases pressure in the room and forces (the compressed particles) outwards. This either forces the opposite door to open or rattle on the hinges and door frame if it’s closed already.

Apologies for any typo.[/quote]
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by KosiGee(m): 2:10pm On Nov 13, 2019
sonature1:

This is a wrong analogy.

This is why people fail exam and they will say the lecturer is wicked.

The answer is vibrational force or resonance.

This is elementary Physics

You need to go back to primary science.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by wizzyrainy(m): 2:18pm On Nov 13, 2019
Read up resonance frequency and forced vibration. You will clearly understand
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Kendollar696(m): 2:23pm On Nov 13, 2019
Read on Resonance..
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by 0monnak0da: 2:26pm On Nov 13, 2019
colestephan86:

It's called air pressure.
Your room is filled with air at anytime, so when you open a door and or open it to any openings or closed door the only place where you will see visible reaction is on the doors or windows.
This is a good hypothesis but that is all it is ; a hypothesis

Perhaps you can describe an experiment to prove and the corollary to disprove .

Science is not religion it must have PROOF

That is the difference between our scientists an d others . We are good at reading books and passing exams not proving or disproving stuff

Another hypothesis is that the vibration is caused by mechanical energy transmitted through the wall/building to the affected door and so depending on what material the building and doors are made of as well as design there may be no noise or rattling. Perhaps this is why it is only the doors and not the walls that rattle?

Again such a hypothesis would need PROOF

The scientific mind is one that asks questions ceaselessly not one that binges on "knowledge"
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by 0monnak0da: 2:29pm On Nov 13, 2019
Alzirida:

It has little to do with vibration and resonance.

The main reason is because, in a room (especially quiet room) it is filled with stagnant/relatively calm air..... So on opening the door, it disrupt the calm air invariably sending ripples to the adjacent doors...most affected is the opposite doors.

How do you know this?

I am not saying you are wrong but

How do you know?
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by OkiJ(m): 2:42pm On Nov 13, 2019
Diz door sef undecided
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by 0monnak0da: 2:51pm On Nov 13, 2019
NnamdiCheges:
Very correct!
Opening or closing d door, increases or reduces d pressure of air in d room. As such, it moves or shakes a loosely closed door in d room.
Sound waves have nothing to do with that phenomenon.
It’s actually pressure change in the room that causes it.
Use the syringe as an example, when it’s drawn, (plunger pulled) the pressure in the syringe drops or reduces and fluid rushes in but when it’s pushed in, ( plunger pushed in) the pressure increases and there’s an impact on the opposite end...content of the syringe is compressed and fluid rushes out or if you place your finger tip on the nozzle (opening), you’ll fill air pushing on your finger...

Back to the room using the syringe analogy.
Direction of the door opening affects pressure change and whether the opposite door will swing open or shut so imagine the room or space to be some sort of vacuum. When the door is opened outwards(away from the room) the pressure drops...sucking on the air particles and opposite door closes( like drawing a syringe)
Likewise, opening the door inwards, increases pressure in the room and forces (the compressed particles) outwards. This either forces the opposite door to open or rattle on the hinges and door frame if it’s closed already.

Apologies for any typo.
Why should opening a door change the pressure?
I do not see any reason why this is a given

This should only happen if the exterior is at a different pressure from the room. This is not necessarily the case and why should it be?

It is like saying everytime a person opens there mouth the pressure changes

This phenomenon with doors is observed in rooms where several windows are open and in fact in rooms with several doors where some doors are open.Still closing or slamming one door in such a room still causes rattling or noises elsewhere
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by cjscon(m): 2:57pm On Nov 13, 2019
revibration
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by henrijin: 3:03pm On Nov 13, 2019
kenny714433:
You should watch The Nun or Devil's doll or walking dead to know what it means for doors to creek open or reverberate on its own.

Let me share you my experiences also. On a cold November evening, last week. The cloud kissed the silver linings of the skies and I knew rain is inevitable.

I flushed the window, bolted my doors and romanced my pillow. Boom! The door banged opened. I was so curious to know what had happened when the window slide slowly....

I rushed outside to catch a glimpse of the idiot playing hide and seek with me when my door banged, it had locked from within.

I shouted under the rain but help wasn't in sight, my phone signaled that it's running low on power, everywhere was dead dark and lo! There came the mid night fishers of souls.
Only their luminous white large eyeballs were visible to a living being.

I gbadun your wordplay
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by CaptainFM1: 3:05pm On Nov 13, 2019
Resonance.

The one I'm trying to understand is...why will 2, 3 or more people yawn at the same time? And I learnt about 1million people would have yawned that same time world over....They said it's "Contagious Yawning" It's crazy to me. Still finding more answers to it!
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by IzzyyUnique: 3:20pm On Nov 13, 2019
Khaleell001:
the quotes I am reading are not really scientific enough.

Some snippets here and there.

I want to know why it occurs, the reasons?

it's due to resonance, which is defined as the tencdecy of a body to vibrate and set another object/body into vibration at the same frequency
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by Goalnaldo(m): 3:47pm On Nov 13, 2019
See as I just dey play with my room door now grin
Nawao no matter how gentle I close it, I noticed the curtain of the window will always shake.
Re: What Makes A Door Shake When Another Is Opened Or Closed? by DMerciful(m): 3:47pm On Nov 13, 2019
You're good. This is the cause absolutely.
Philipmems:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

UNILAG Law Student Makes Ankara Ties / A Student Of University Of Ibadan Died While Watching Barca Match / Burial Poster Of ABSU Nursing Student Who Got Drowned (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.